Hall Says the Best Is Yet to Be

Jason Reid reports:

Whenever an athlete, especially one who has had problems in his past, conducts himself as a model citizen and excels during a contract year, it prompts speculation that he only behaved to get paid.

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall addressed this perception, as it pertains to him, during a news conference Tuesday at Redskins Park to announce his re-signing for six years and $55 million.

Hall at times irritated teammates in Atlanta, which drafted him, with his brash comments and actions that some thought to be selfish. The perception that Hall was a locker room problem were reinforced, fairly or not, when Oakland released him after only half a season in 2008, just months after trading for him and giving him a seven-year, $70-million contract (the deal was voided after Hall cleared waivers and signed with the Redskins in November for the remainder of the season).

"I keep going back to [his Oakland experience] because it was just such not the right fit for me," Hall said. "Just coming from a place like that, and being able to come here, you just kind of ... you feel back alive. You feel on top of the world. That's how I feel."

Hall earned positive reviews from Redskins players and coaches for his performance on the field (he had two interceptions in seven games) and his commitment to his teammates and the team concept. But, again, some wondered if that was all a show. Just wait and see, Hall said.

"I can't try to go in and persuade anybody. I'm not a salesman. I'm not going to sell myself on anybody," he said. "All I can do is say, 'Look at me in this scheme and see how I do.' I played well in this scheme the last couple of weeks of the season because I felt comfortable.

"It fit my style of play. I'm not a 6-2 corner that can sit here, pressure you with one arm and play with his back to the sideline. I'm a corner that likes to see the ball, likes to make plays on the ball, love to get the ball in my hands and this scheme definitely have me an opportunity."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 4, 2009; 1:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato 'Disappointed' by Taylor's Decision
Next: Healthy Daniels Says He's Ready to Go

Comments

huh?

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep ttwowpwwpt .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzinnnng

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm not for giving up on JC but F Bradford. Colt McCoy will blow him away in the NFL. Plus the Skins could use more Colts.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

It sure would be nice if the blog that touts itself as the "Redskins Insider" would actually ever have some inside information that holds up, instead of several repetitive posts about the release of a guy most agreed would get cut anyway, and the regurgitation of quotes from a press conference we all saw yesterday. But without this I suppose there would be nothing, and therefore no arena to dispense negativity...

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe you've forgotten more. Problem is you've retained nothing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

LMAO

Posted by: frediefritz | March 4, 2009 12:59 PM

I've never understood that "I've forgotten more..." expression. It seems to me that knowledge is measured by how much you've remembered, not how much you forget.

I hope dcsween can explain this to me, once he gets up off the floor, dusts himself off, and regains his senses after the beatdown that periculum put on him on that last thread.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

So, if the Redskins players AND coaches don't have a problem, why keep bringing this back up?

I think he's being hated on more than him being malcontent. Ok, in the ATL he had a few issues, but none were major IMHO......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"I believe you've forgotten more. Problem is you've retained nothing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009"

perl -e 'print "Eat";' -e 'print " my short\n"'

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

perl -e 'print "Eat";' -e 'print " my short\n"'

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:25 PM |

Oooh! That stung. You got me that time. LOL -- good one.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

not one complaint about DHall until the Micheal Vick stuff came up and DHall showed support for Vick during that time.

Before that, you never heard about his team not being happy with him. You heard about how he ran his mouth to other teams, but not one thing about him being a cancer.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Normally, I don't bother re-posting if I say something after a beep beep. I am reposting this one, however, which I posted before the beep beep.
________________

Kendall signed on August 23, 2007.

Btwn 3/2/07 and 8/23/07, I challenge you to find a post that use the word "Dahl" (much less one that you posted).

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 12:49 PM

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Keep an eye out for Matt Bryant.

BUCS SIGN NUGENT
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 12:40 p.m.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have announced the acquisition of kicker Mike Nugent, a free agent formerly with the Jets.

It’s a one-year deal, probably for the fifth-year veteran minimum.

Nugent, a second-round draft pick in 2005, missed 15 games in 2008 due to an intentionally vague Mangini ”leg” injury. Nugent kicked two extra points and missed one field goal in the regular-season opener.

The decision to sign with the Bucs, given the presence of Matt Bryant, is confusing. Unless, of course, someone suggested to Nugent that maybe he’ll have a chance to knock out Bryant and his $1.1 million base salary.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

... Ok, in the ATL he had a few issues, but none were major IMHO......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009 1:24 PM

I have this vague recollection that Hall got beat up by one or more of his Atlanta teammates in the locker room. [I think it was after the game when T.O. admitted on television to spitting in Hall's face.] But I agree with you, 4th, what happens in Atlanta stays in Atlanta.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

not one thing about him being a cancer.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 4, 2009 1:28 PM

And even when they called him a cancer, it referred to the fact that he was born in mid-July and cancer was his sign. If he'd been born in November, they would have called him a scorpio. (fwf, cancers are tired of the bad association and have been trying to change "cancer" to "moon child" although that has problems of its own)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 12:49 PM

you may run across my book report on Matilda but that doesn't count.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"But without this I suppose there would be nothing, and therefore no arena to dispense negativity...

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009"

Hmmm, I actually think this blog is more "positive" at least when compared to what the various reporters from multiple mediums, who follow the team, said in their columns.

They were absolutely scathing.

We rapidly caught on to 'Daniel's' new mantra of starting a youth movement ... later corroborated in his radio interview.

If he keeps his draft picks, and finds a way to get more ... and is reasonably cagey about it ... he may end up doing well when all is said and done ...

at least until next year when it is time to sign Carlos Rogers, Jason Campbell, etc.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"periUNIXculum, although you clearly have the genius to pull this off, I will make your job easier for you. Dockery signed with the Bills on March 2, 2007. There is a link the blog archives at the top of the page, but here is a link to around the time Dockery left.

Kendall signed on August 23, 2007."

gee I was talking about Dahl about the same time I mentioned Priest Holmes ... which everyone seems to conveniently remember.

dude you can pay me $200/hour or shutup and do it yourself.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Dick Cheney say stale cookies lose flavor and make mouth dry. Who cares what nearly irrelavent comment Hall made yesterday? WaPo and Red Skins Inside Her just don't get it.

Posted by: DickCheneysDutchOvenCookies | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Redskins free-agent defensive end Demetric Evans has left the Bay Area without a contract. He returned home to the East Coast to consider his two main options after visiting the 49ers on Tuesday.

Posted by: skinsst21 | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Cr*p. I much better at forgetting

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 4, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

D Hall was the guy who put MV7 on his eye black to pay tribute to Michael Vick.

Perhaps Hall has matured along the way, but wondering about his character isn't some abstract question.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Cr*p. I much better at forgetting

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM

You're nothing, zeke. Periculum is the forgetting man. He posted that he's forgotten more than any of us, probably than all of us together. You better get busy forgetting if you hope to pass periculum.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

this is sad makes the story even worse.

REPORT: THE THREE MISSING BOATERS TOOK OFF THEIR LIFE VESTS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 1:28 p.m. EST
Rarely if ever do I struggle to start writing one of these items. But I’ve spent the past several minutes at a complete loss for words.

Apparently, Nick Schuyler has informed authorities that each of the other three men who were on the 21-foot fishing boat that capsized off the Gulf Coast of Florida voluntarily removed their life jackets.

Within two to four hours after the boat flipped, one of the two NFL players, Marquis Cooper of the Raiders and Corey Smith of the Lions, removed his life jacket and allowed himself to drift out to sea.

Then, a few hours later, the other NFL player did the same.

Finally, on Monday morning, Bleakley thought he saw a light in the distance. So he removed his life jacket and swam to it in an effort to get help.

“I think he was delusional to think he could swim someplace,” Bob Bleakley said.

This news makes the tragedy even more horrific. If they only had stayed together on the hull of the boat, they all would have been saved.

But the psychological burdens of such circumstances are surely very heavy, and reality like becomes twisted and distorted very quickly.

So, again, pray for the families of the men who were lost. But also pray for Nick Schuyler, who will carry the guilt that goes along with being the only survivor of the tragedy, and that goes along with the fact he wasn’t able to convince three of his friends to refuse to surrender.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 4, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait Flounder your getting a $2 hooker?

Posted by: chrislarry | March 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"without a contract. He returned home to the East Coast to consider his two main options after visiting the 49ers on Tuesday.

Posted by: skinsst21 | March 4, 2009"

I don't know. It sounds like Olshansky is younger, ascending, is ruthless when it comes to stopping the run ... he sure seems like a better choice than Demetric? What is stopping them?

Flounder, guess "I forgot" that Trent Green wasn't drafted by the skins ... :) He did get his start under Norv tho?

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Guess I am a better reporter than the Jasons

The 49ers offered free agent DL Demetric Evans a two-year deal, but he didn't sign and has left San Francisco.

Evans has returned to the D.C. area, possibly increasing the chances that he'll re-sign with Washington. The Redskins definitely could use him.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Posted by: russberlin65 | March 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

dude you can pay me $200/hour or shutup and do it yourself.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:36 PM

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"I have got to get my car washed today, it looks like a $2 dollar hooker after a days work.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 4, 2009"

Its just going to get dirty again ... :) Better get the Rain-X.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Wait Flounder your getting a $2 hooker?

Posted by: chrislarry | March 4, 2009 1:45 PM |

No my car has more white stains on it then a $2 dollar hooker after a days work.

I've been driving in DC metro area the last couple of days, with all the sand and salt on the roads from the Snow.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 4, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Who said:

"it was just such not the right fit for me. Just coming from a place like that, and being able to come here, you just kind of ... you feel back alive. You feel on top of the world. That's how I feel."

A. DeAngelo Hall, talking about leaving Oakland and coming to DC
B. Jason Mesnick, talking about leaving Melissa and going for Molly

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

flound, I just read that story on fox news, ugh...just makes it worse. Why give up?? Feel sorry for their families...

peri, agreed on Olshansky. I think he could be a good/great player for the team.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest: they don't call him "Me-angelo" Hall for nothing. He went to Virginia Tech. They aren't known for producing model citizens. Two NFL teams have dumped him in spite of his obvious talent. Maybe he's changed, but the Skins don't have a good track record in this area.

Last season they signed a guy who spent the offseason ballroom dancing and then were SHOCKED when he didn't want to workout this offseason. And they'll be SHOCKED again when Hall reverts to his true self.

Sigh...

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | March 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm out boys and girls.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Wait flounder you stained your car with a $2 hooker?

Posted by: chrislarry | March 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I regret posting that bit about Harvey Dahl after seeing that news about the Marquis Cooper and Corey Simon. That sounds really really crappy.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Either way, he ian't getting a whole lotta money. Even with Rosenhaus as his agent...

I say 3.5 Mil average over 4/5 years......

$8 Mil signing bonus.

========================================

That NFL players lost at see is def sad. Prayers go out to the whole fam and the survivor to have to live with this nightmare of being the only one left.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"For the inventor of computers, seems like it would been a simple task ... just to find something that you've ever said about Falcons/OG, Harvey Dahl ... before I started mentioning him this past January.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009"

Me, invent the computer? Nah, the NSA basically invented the electronic computer for the purposes of doing cryptography. Lots of spin-offs since then.

Sween, you started this because you got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning ... you were ornery and cranky. So, I am not going to do that little exercise.

Given the amount of grief I get for Priest Holmes to the point where he is even listed as "the jack knife" of the Redskins ... I could at least get some small kernel of credit of spotting him over in Atlanta when everyone was worried about the dearth of guards in Washington, especially given Randy Thomas' injury.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I've been called nothing by better people than you.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

you feel back alive. You feel on top of the world. That's how I feel."

A. DeAngelo Hall, talking about leaving Oakland and coming to DC
B. Jason Mesnick, talking about leaving Melissa and going for Molly

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:49 PM

Jason may feel back alive and on top of the world, but he's never going to be on top of Melissa or Molly again.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"Last season they signed a guy who spent the offseason ballroom dancing and then were SHOCKED when he didn't want to workout this offseason.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | March 4, 2009"

I like country 2-step myself. Pretty fair at West Coast swing, and east coast. Would like to learn "Hand" dancing or the DC swing. Wonder if JT got into that while he was a Redskin? ~laughing~

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"....Sam Bradford is a system quarterback..."

Funny...that's what they say about Colt Brennan--another June Jones clone.

Joe Montana, Steve Young: system guys.

Why do folks think J Campbell succeed under Zorn?: because he played in the West Coast Offense system at Auburn and Zorn is a WCO guru.

A system has nothing to do with accuracy, quick decision-making, arm strength, and fitting the ball into tight spaces against elite college cover corners like Janoris Jenkins--a guy who's soon to be a high pick.

Watch the National Championship game again and ask why the Sooners didn't choose to ride Bradford's arm.

But this is next year's jibba-jabba and Moe is warming up way in advance.

Too many things have to go right for Jason Campbell to succed this year: o-line improves, young wideouts improve, Zorn let him play shot gun, Portis not getting upset the team wants to throw more than run.

If the team makes the playoffs, Campbell gets an extension.

If the team doesn't make the playoff, Campbell gets the Patrick Ramsey treatment.

If Campbell gets hurt (again) and Collins plays well, the franchise is torn between and old guy and an unsatisfying guy.

Me?: I draft a new guy.

Learn Boomer Sooner while you can.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The MEDIA dubbed him ME-Angelo, no one else.

Also, he wasn't kicked out of the ATL, he was traded because he was in the last year of his rookie contract and they wanted to get some value back....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

who is Jason, Molly, and Melissa??

did I miss something...again...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"You're nothing, zeke. Periculum is the forgetting man.

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

What do you expect? I am old as dirt. Yes I have seen the MPO contract that started the construction of the Internet (ARPA/MILNET).

You'll have to forgive my penchant for seeing Priest Holmes running along with Larry Brown ... bah humbug on Riggins and CP.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Cr*p. I much better at forgetting

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:37 PM

I've been called nothing by better people than you.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:52 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

On the drowning story ... its actually common for people to get delusional in those situations. Read 'Ultimate Survival' by Laurence Gonzales.

Gonzales talks about the experiences of people in these life or death situations and how the mind works, or stops working in many cases. Fascinating stuff and very relevant to what apparently happened in this case.

And yes, prayers for all involved, including the survivor.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"who is Jason, Molly, and Melissa??

did I miss something...again...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009"

Advanced dancers. Someone to take lessons from or get choreographed by.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

They were absolutely scathing.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 1:34 PM |

I agree this specific post is not overboard on the negativity that most of the previous posts have shown, but why the several repetitive posts on Jason Taylor getting cut? It's obvious, so the two Jasons can get in as many cheap shots as possible on the FO. Also, for every negative media report you can find with regards to the Redskins signings so far, I can find a positive one, if that even means anything. And I still don't see why anyone would value the opinion of some of these "reporters" over the opinion of their next door neighbor or anyone else. Most of these guys were losers growing up that probably never played a sport in their life, and they write the things they do to drum up controversy and get as much publicity for themselves as possible. Why? To put more coin in their pocket, the very thing they unfairly criticize owners like Jerah and DS for trying to do. That is why I call it tabloid journalism; they are making more of an effort to "sell copy" or generate "page hits" (depending on the media used) than they make in being fair or accurate. To make it worse, they have the nerve to act so self-righteous every chance they get, whether it be smug remarks made on WaPo Live or cheap shots they take in writing columns. Can anyone really argue that JLC wasn't probably as giddy as a schoolgirl in the pressbox for every one of our losses last season? I think people need to remember that objectivity means neutrality, not negativity. I'm not looking for a cheerleader, but just not being positive doesn't mean you're being objective. Get rid of the Jasons and give me a guy like Barry Svrluga covering the team.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, but you forgot who they were, so they don't count. I'm as good as you're going to do.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009"

My old neighbor George Cave might say that some folks out there you may end up working for might think its a good thing for you to forget ... :)

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"Get rid of the Jasons and give me a guy like Barry Svrluga covering the team.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009"

You going to get rid of Jenkins, Boswell, Korheiser, and Feinstein too?

Believe me the worst of all was David Israel. But I regress into the distant past.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

You going to get rid of Jenkins, Boswell, Korheiser, and Feinstein too?

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM |

Sally Jenkins? Liked her piece on Michael Phelps, but everything else she does is crap to me. Feinstein would fit right in with the Jasons, he is the president of his own fan club. I value what he says on golf (except when it comes to Tiger, he hates the guy), most baseball, and some college basketball topics, but football is obviously not an area he has great knowledge in, even if he is the color analyst for the radio Navy football broadcasts. I can live with Boswell or Kornheiser; each has been somewhat negative at times with regards to the team, but I think they are clearly more fair, and it's obvious that the purpose of their lives is not to try to take cheap shots at the FO, so I don't see how you can equate either of them with the schlubs who post this blog.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Why not take D Hall at his word? He played pretty well in the final six games last year. He's replacing Springs as one of the Skins starting CBs. I hope Hall can improve upon his performance after getting more comfortable in the defensive scheme.

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

You going to get rid of Jenkins, Boswell, Korheiser, and Feinstein too?

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The big difference is that none of the above covers the team on a daily basis,and claim to be an insider with high level sources,only to be out scooped on every move the team makes....they're just offering their opinions on the moves after they happen,and then they don't turn around and offer up 3-6 articals on how bad of a move it was,without ever aknowledging the positive potential of said moves.i can't remember one posting about what type of an impact hayneworth and hall the players would have on the field.....

jlc is,or is supposed to be a reporter...reporters report columist,and fans offer their opinions...
if jlc and or jreid have the talent or knowledge to replace tony(who is retired)or any other columist,then they should apply for that job and stop trying to bigger than they are

Posted by: jumbo5383 | March 4, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Hall is going to be solid player for us. He went to football hell in Oakland, and now he is grateful to be on a real football team. What I would like to see is Deangelo Hall returning punts. He probably is the fastest guy on the team now, and he was spectacular in college on returns. Randal El has been worthless as a punt returner, so give Hall a chance.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse