Hall, Smoot: Getting Paid Is a Capitol Idea

Dan Steinberg went up to Capitol Hill and, after offering up some helpful hints on fixing that whole economy thing, he sauntered out into a driving rain to catch up with Fred Smoot and DeAngelo Hall and a bunch of Ravens. Among other things, Smoot and Hall talked about big salaries, the secondary, and why Hall was miserable in Oakland (a lot of it had to do with something called money).

"I had a lot of college buddies up in this way, and it was just I felt loved and embraced," Hall continued. "With anything, if somebody loves you, you're gonna love them back. So I felt love. When I went to Oakland, man, I had a lot of guys on the team that was like, 'Man, I should have got paid, why'd they pay him, da da da da da.'"

By Cindy Boren  |  March 19, 2009; 2:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rate Free Agents of the Snyder Era
Next: Free-Agent Shopping in the Bargain Bin

Comments

am I first????

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

FYI to all those who want to look at JCuts stats vs JC's look closer at the games he played against above average teams, he puts up great stats vs the Cleveland and Oakland and KC of the world, but look at his numbers vs the NFC South,(a good division to compare to the NFC East): 21/34-264-2T-1I vs NO, 23/34-227-1T vs TB, 19/27-216-1T vs ATL, and 21/33-172-1T-1I vs CAR.

yes you were leevi

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Man I coulda been first, how come leevi98 was first, da da da da da?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 19, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I paraphrase other people's bullsh*t as, 'la da le da low da le,' all of the time.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Best meaningful excerpt from the Bog's post:

"
Smoot was, at times, the odd-man out last year, when four corners were vying for playing time. Shawn Springs, of course, is now gone, but I asked Smoot where he saw himself fitting in.

"With Jerry [Gray], we're good, we're good," Smoot said. "I knew he couldn't play four of us. Now, he made a way to play three of us, and I know he'll STILL make a way to play three of us. But four, it just was too many of us. And it got out of his hands, actually. It was a big problem, it was a big rift to have, but we didn't let it affect nothing. We never brought nothing up, we just let it play itself out. Everything's good. We ain't got that type of guys."

I also asked Hall about his secondary mates.

"One of my biggest reasons for coming back was to be around these guys," he said. "I made the comment that I wanted to make sure that they WERE gonna be here, Fred AND Carlos. I said that to everybody that I talked to. I'm not just worried about trying to get paid, I'm trying to win some games."

"

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments by Hall. I didn't play well because the team didn't love me.

Hmmmm Nnamdi, the other CB, played well. Held his guy to about 200 yards ... in 16 games. Dang!!!

My concern about Hall is exactly what he describes. The best professionals can bring their game under ANY circumstances. Hall brings his under the RIGHT circumstances.

Maybe he's maturing. As dysfunctional as this organization can be on some fronts, having guys like Fletcher and Blache is a huge upgrade for Hall.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 19, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Nice to have Hall playing closer to his hometown. Stay out of trouble and never let Fat Albert drive. Go Hall!

Posted by: jercha | March 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I BLAME THE FRENCH

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The second we got Hall, we finally had someone who could get the ball and cause turnovers. I'm not sure what type of pass rush or safeties Oakland has, but our rush should be vastly improved with Albert and our safeties provide solid deep support. I think he'll be a great fit and I hope we can resign Rogers at some point to keep two young pro-bowl caliber DBs, despite the fact that Rogers was born with hooks and not hands.

Posted by: Section104 | March 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

i know those of you who picked Memphis to win it all must be taking a shower right now, 'cause i know you were SWEATING that one out...

Flound - what up dude? you're in the bottom half right now...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Oakland got better after Hall left. Not that they got good. Or that Hall's departure was a major reason for the improvement.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Pick 1/13

DENVER to KANSAS CITY
QB Jason Campbell
Pick 1/12

KANSAS CITY to DENVER
QB Matt Cassell

So here you are Chiefs fans:

LB Mike Vrabel
6th/162
7th/195

Posted by: cb50 | March 19, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

GOOD WORK YODS

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Why hate on DHall?

He was our best CB last year and didn't even play the whole year.

Why worry about what he did in Oakland? Are you an Oaktown fan? No? So worry about what he does as a Redskin.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

setion104

'...I hope we can resign Rogers at some point...'

You and me both, brother.

Thing is, if you're CR, and you don't get re-upped before the alleged 'uncapped year,' do you give the skins a 'home team discount'?

Don't think so.

I know people will hate on the idea, but me, I'd move him to get some value (i.e., draft pick) long before that scenario comes about.

The team decided to pay Hall good money to be the lead corner: and if Rogers doesn't get the same money, his ego--and agent-- will tell him to shop his services elsewhere.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hall on Oakland and Smoooot and Hall on getting PAID:

"
Hall did a post-fitness interview with the NFL Network from the shadow of the Capitol, in which he said his heart had never really been in it in Oakland. After he was done with the NFL Network, I asked him why that was.

"Because man, I just felt like in Oakland, there was a lot of people that hated anybody who got paid," he said. "A lot of guys resented me from the moment I walked in there. From the moment I walked in here, it was kind of a whole different vibe. It was like, come help us," he said, reaching out his arms in an embrace, which was filled by a Redskins staffer. "We love D-Hall," she said.

"And [Al Davis] paid a lot of guys. I mean, they were resentful toward not just me, towards everybody they paid: Tommy Kelly, myself, Gibril [Wilson], Javon [Walker]. Everybody was kind of looking at us different, so we all kind of hung together. That ain't the way it's supposed to be, but that's how it was out there. I never felt like a part of the team. And it showed on the field, that's why we got our [bleeps] whooped all the time."

So I brought up the Albert Haynesworth signing and wondered whether his (theoretically) nine-figure deal could cause the same sort of issues in Ashburn.

"Hell no," Hall said. "Not at all. Not at all. Like I made the comment, Albert Haynesworth is the best player in the NFL, hands-down. So you think anybody [complains] when Tom Brady or Peyton Manning got paid? Because they know what they can do. We know what he can do. It would have been different if they tried to go out and get Joe Blow and pay him a hundred million. C'mon, then we've got a problem. But a guy like Albert? Not a problem."

Smoot was chatting up the Capitol Police, but I interrupted to get his take on this issue. Would players resent Haynesworth and his salary?

"Nah," Smoot said. "Because, well, we have a group that, actually, a lot of us done got paid. Plus it's never really been like that in the Washington Redskins organization. We ain't really egotistical like that. We just all chill."

I asked Smoot whether he asks Hall to pick up the tab when they go out; "I'm eight figures myself, baby, I'm good," Smoot said. "Now Albert....

"It comes with it," he continued. "I'm sure he'll hear his group of money jokes. He asked me how much it was for him to buy a dock at National Harbor. I said, 'Don't worry, you don't need to ask, just go up there and park it, man. They'll take care of that.' "

"

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

ELTON BROWN STAYS WITH CARDINALS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2009, 2:58 p.m.

The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to terms with free-agent offensive lineman Elton Brown, according to a league source.

Brown, a four-year veteran, appeared in every game last season (including the playoffs and Super Bowl) as a reserve.

During his rookie year, he started the first seven games before suffering a knee injury. He returned to start the final two.

He was a fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 19, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I am no Oakfan, but they do have a good classic look to them. Not that one should pick a team based on looks.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

it appears Cutler will be traded at some point...the owner has made an interesting statement that if he is unhappy we have no room

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cb50 | March 19, 2009 2:57 PM

The Chiefs aren't giving up enough in value terms......

And we are not getting enough back.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Screw the Raiders...I hate that fact that Boomer has that dumb way of saying it that everyone does now...I've hated the Raiders with a passion since Jan of 1984!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!
Da Haaa, Da Haaa, Da Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaa.

I know what you mean Deangelo. Skaters everywhere...LOL

Posted by: hbu_dog | March 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

cb50

There is a ban on trafficking 'Unsubstantiated Rumor as Fact' in this blog.

The Blog Police will get you for that Cutler/Campbell/Kansas City thingy.

'Cuz if that trade is true, that's some jack-up stuff to puff on, man.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"Because, well, we have a group that, actually, a lot of us done got paid."

hahaha, I could listen to Smoot all day. Can't watch him play too often, but the man is as entertaining as they come.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Zj, how much did they sign Brown for?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Coach K's thoughts on Obama and his brackets: "Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four, and as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets."

What's funny is that I actually agree with the ol' rat-faced twit. (I DO NOT like Duke, and no, I'm not a UNC fan like that) I was sort of disappointed to see Obama making picks for the NCAA tournament when the economy is the way it is (with all the other problems also)... he gave his critics nothing but ammunition when ESPN had him in front of a big white board making picks...

He's got to be smarter than that - I want him to succeed, but I believe he's been set-up to fail.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

moe, by responding to idiots, you only encourage them....kind of like z, with his stupid trade scenarios yesterday.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 19, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

DMV - So you want to prevent Obama from filling out his bracket which doesn't take all that long in the 1st place.

You need to leave America now and raise your French Flag while I enjoy my Freedom Fries......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Guys there must be some truth to the Cutler thing....The rumors are still flying...but no it apears to be QB for QB for QB ...maybe some draft picks here and there....anyway...

i suppose if there is so much buzz from so many different outlets.....there must be some truth to that.

Also I noticed when Vinnie made the statement the other day..."Campbell will be our QB" He left out the term "starter" or "backup"...he also said last season they were not talking to the Dolphins about Taylor or talked to big Bill at 2 pm then at 5pm he was a Skin

Just saying

Hail!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Leevi, but that's not new. We talked about this earlier in the day.

Click on the Inquirer's actual article and you'll see that they are just carrying the Inet rumor to print. He has no sources.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, seriously, Coach K wasn't saying Obama was wrong in filling out a bracket, just the bracket he filled out was wrong.

Talk about overreacting to something clearly trivial and negligible to the efforts of anything else he's charged with doing.

Posted by: psps23 | March 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

In a stunning move Redskins Insider has traded leevi98 for 5 rolls of toilet paper, a broken trojan condom and mint flavored tic-tacs.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV you got to be joking right! I do believe our President can handle more than one thing at time. It's not like he is the dumb ass that was in there before him.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | March 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

You know I used to like Duke and respect coach K but the more I hear from him the more I think he's a self aggrandizing, smug little twit. Maybe he should worry more about Duke's lack of a scoring big man than giving his unwanted political commentary.

Posted by: buke | March 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

On the one hand I think it is good for the Pres. to be able to show an interest in diverse activities but on the other his detractors will only hype this as a lack of focus on what's important. After watching the Duke/UNC show on HBO, I can so see Coach K wanting to tell him to F off with his final four picks!!

Posted by: will_ga | March 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Leevi, but that's not new. We talked about this earlier in the day.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya 4th just posting cause I saw it....

that's the issue with this new blog format...you used to be able to see who answered you with email notice and also you could read what was already talked about on the threads...Now you don't know....Who has the time to go back and look at all the threads and see what was being said this morning LOL

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buke | March 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

and maybe if President Opromise was paying more attention to the economy instead of his brackets and the Tonight show AIG wouldn't be getting rich of our money....well nevermind most of the people actually pay taxes didn't vote for him anyway so what does he care....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 19, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I did not deserve that nor is in called for...i reported you to the blog admins...sorry but that was rude and uncalled for

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"I hear ya 4th just posting cause I saw it...."

My apologies to leevi then. I thought you were the same guy who had been posting that stuff earlier.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling you guys, if it happens with us and Denver, expect it to be AZ in the middle, not KC.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Okay, let me save these blokes a response.

"You're gay I hate you your dumb and not smart and probably work at MacDonalds."--Mrredskin21
---------------------

Where do you get this from?

You low-rent maggot. Just because you're too busy rubbing your fetid nubbin' - and too lazy to create anything other than recycled Don Rickles one liners - doesn't mean everyone else is.

Pull your pants up, Puffin, and take another swing at the fences.

It's not like you have anything else to do.

Huzzah

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I deserved it

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

There's no possible spin that makes me believe that Snyder knew what he was doing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 19, 2009 10:52 AM

Brownwood,

You're about as open-minded as those 8 year olds who stick their fingers in their ears and say "I'm not listening." It's not about "spin." It's about your inability to deal with reality.

After the Spanuolo hire fell through, the smart money was on Mariucci and Fassel. Those were the "inside the box" hires. No one on God's green earth had mentioned Zorn. He was so far outside the box that he was off the planet.

So, now your story is that it's not an outside-the-box story because "Snyder didn't know what he was doing"?

If it makes you feel good to deny that the 'Skins would make an outside-the-box coaching decision, then keep finding new pretexts for denial. But, as ChRiS LarRy would say, "Don't let the facts hit you in the azz as you're walking through the door."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way Corksucker, you didn't come to your butt-buddy's (JLC's) defense re his absurd claim that Randy Thomas "has been hurt for a good portion of his career here."

You have your marching orders. Now get to it, flunky.

Selah.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

te, cl things that statement about facts is 'cliche' as he put it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"I hear ya 4th just posting cause I saw it...."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

no worries I really didn't report you...Just yanking your chain :)

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

On the Shanahan-Cutler thing, I must admit, I don't understand why a coach falls in love with his QB like that.

But now Pioli in KC and McDaniels in Denver, both ex-Pats, seem to have total man crushes for Matt Cassel.

McDaniels is looking especially foolish, like the guy who lost out on the woman he loved ... to his former best friend. After all, McDaniels broke up with Jay Cutler before their first date, just to pursue a QB he'll have to pay dearly for.

If we get Cutler, we get Shanahan. Man love. What are you gonna do?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 19, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Folks want to hate on Obama for filling out a 'bracket'?

Wow!: and get this--the people who hate on Obama for not cleaning up Bush's 8 year mess in a month in a half didn't hate on Bush for attacking the wrong country.

Talk about consistent inconsistency.

It's cool that the guy at least is paying attention.

I wonder if Obama will sweat out the NFL draft in April while those of use who voted for him and paid taxes fill out forms and lie.

'Cuz that's the American way.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep (must be Albert driving)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 19, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Folks want to hate on Obama for filling out a 'bracket'?****
I don't get that at all, but here is something I do find interesting.

Headlines On This Date 4 Years Ago:
"Republicans spending $42 million on inauguration while troops Die in unarmored Humvees"
"Bush extravagance exceeds any reason during tough economic times"
"Fat cats get their $42 million inauguration party, Ordinary Americans get the shaft"
Headlines Today:
"Historic Obama Inauguration will cost only $170 million"
"Obama Spends $170 million on inauguration;
America Needs A Big Party"
"Everyman Obama shows America how to celebrate"
"Citibank executives contribute $8 million to Obama Inauguration" ******

Posted by: lsskinsfan | March 19, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Red, his "critics" are the folks who supported (twice)the guy Obama replaced and the one he ran against. Nothing will make them happy. (Except apparently two failed wars, a joke of domestic agenda, a ruined planet, global economic catastrophe, and am I forgetting anything? Oh, right, more tax cuts for the very rich.) So F 'em.

Posted by: mack1 | March 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Is that it? Is that the whole article? Lame.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 19, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Prior to FA... I heard that Tank Johnson had really turned around the issues he had in Chicago... I'm surprised he is still unsigned... Wouldn't mind giving him a shot if he wouldn't cost too much.

Posted by: tony325 | March 19, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope Hall pays more attention in team meetings than he did in English class!!!!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru | March 20, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse