Hanging With Mr. Zorn

The Mayor is back in his Redskins Park office listening to Coach Jim Zorn address the media horde. Camp opens tomorrow, so my guy, Zack Bolno, persuaded Zorn to give the scribes and good TV folks some time (Zorn is so accommodating that Bolno can spend most of his time at the beach).

I figured we might as well get to the burning issue first: quarterback Michael Vick. Many of our sources Tuesday shot down the Vick-Redskins stuff, but with Zorn at the podium and Vick still searching for a home, I asked the first question in the hope Zorn would finally put an end to the madness.

"I think Michael is on his journey [and] I want to wish the best for him," Zorn said. "There's a way that he and [Commissioner] Roger Goodell have created to find his way back into the league. I would just say it won't be with us, at least at this juncture."

Before anyone jumps on the "at least at this juncture" line, all Zorn meant was no one knows what's going to happen way down the road. The Redskins are not interested in Vick this season, but how long is he going to play? None of us has a crystal ball, which is all he was saying.

Again, Zorn was straightforward and, I believe, honest. That's why the scribes love Zorn. Well, most of the scribes, anyway.

Zorn also quickly addressed the protracted contract negotiations with first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo. The defensive end/strong-side linebacker out of Texas is among the league's many unsigned top picks. Most of the dominoes have not yet fallen. Agents want others to sign first to compare deals and, hopefully, squeeze a few more dollars for their clients.

Zorn acknowledged he does not expect Orakpo to report in time for camp, considering players reported today. He is "optimistic" the sides can come to an agreement soon, but mentioned the high number of unsigned rookies in saying, "It's not all in his hands."

Because the Redskins have a glaring opening at strong-side linebacker, the coaching staff hopes Orakpo, primarily a hand-down rush end for the Longhorns, can make a smooth transition to playing in space often as an NFL rookie. That's not an easy move to make for players with significant experience in the league, let alone a first-year guy.

Obviously, Zorn would rather have Orakpo in camp as soon as possible.

"At some point, it's going to become a concern," he said. "It's not at this particular time."

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache was encouraged by Orakpo's performance in minicamp and workouts because he seemed to be a "quick learner," Zorn said. Orakpo's comprehension skills will be put to the test if he misses a significant amount of camp.
As for other little tidbits from the head coach, Zorn is excited about having mostly everyone physically sound to begin camp. Zorn is pumped about the production he anticipates the Skins will receive from wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and tight end Fred Davis, who had disappointing rookie seasons, and Kelly's knee, a major problem throughout last season, seems to be sound (I'll have more from quarterback Jason Campbell on Thomas, Kelly and Davis a little later).

So things are upbeat at the complex, Zorn said, as everything starts anew. For everyone's sake, let's hope it stays that way. Later.

By Jason Reid  |  July 29, 2009; 1:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live Tweeting: Zorn News Conference
Next: J. Campbell: The Kid Receivers Are Ready

Comments

FIRST, baby! Hip hip hooray wouldn't-it-be-funny-if-Snyderatto-got-Vick-on-the-coattails-of-this-article

Posted by: pgugino | July 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

see, much better than tweets

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's find out if the second-year receivers make Mr Crewcut's cut

Posted by: pgugino | July 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I missed it but why are you The Mayor? Not that it's a bad thing but I don't get it.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | July 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The rookies holding out would not happen if there was a set rookie salary cap thing.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

BTW,
Can people get back to honking the horn on a old post. If you call first and did not beep beep on the prior post then I jear you.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Here's the earliest reference I can find to "The Mayor"!!

Slick City, that is...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

It is refreshing that a a blogger can post news without a slant one way or the other. With Reid's reporting, it was clear that LaCanfora had a grudge against the team.

Posted by: rickyroge | July 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Unless your last name is Barry you shouldn't be allowed to be called "The Mayor" around here!! (Fenty too)

How about we retire "Iggles" & "Gints" while we're at it too. They are honestly painful to read!! Seeing "Cowgirls" is at least a little funny.

Posted by: mrlowery1 | July 29, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | July 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Why are you the Mayor again? I'm not for people calling their own 'nicknames' at every chance. Kind of like referring to yourself in the third person.

Posted by: joeblazin | July 29, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrlowery1 | July 29, 2009 2:30 PM |

Have you ever heard someone from Philly say the team name? It comes out as "Iggles." That's where that comes from. Hence they are the Iggles.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

& Red, If you're wearin' "yo momma" on your head, isn't that an A$$hat?

...volley...

Posted by: DikShuttle

Nah, Dik.

The crown is worn to signify many accomplishments. Like what, you may ask? Oh I don't know so I'll just pick something random...

Like cuttin up "some dude's" mom. As in:

"Me and your mom are cutty buddies"

Ya heard?

And once again, no Dik. You're wrong. The "A$$hat is something that is worn while "cuttin", you know, like how "rubber" is slang for condom... it's the same thing. But the "A$$hat" is preferably used when getting your "gape on"... wouldn't want to catch some STD from "someone's" nasty mom. So I guess the "A$$hat and Crown are sort of synonymous with each other, eh Dik?

.....Advantage Red.....

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

We drafted two of the highest rated recievers in last years draft. Put them in , let them play.....they will be good!

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

well, at least this is not like baseball where Orakpo could hold the Redskins up for a $50M contract like we see in baseball.

at some point Snyder will sign Orakpo even if it means spending a bit more than the slot indicates.

there's too much on the line for the Redskins in 2009 with Zorn for the team to be holding back on a deal because of $250K one way or the other.

Posted by: leopard09 | July 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | July 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeblazin | July 29, 2009 2:31 PM

If I remember correctly, Cindy came up with it. I'm sure he calls himself that in jest. Mr. Shuttle posted it earlier, the quote being "he's not exactly the mayor of slick city."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

So, while Orakpo is waiting for a contract who takes snaps as the starting strong side linebacker? Is it Chris Wilson or Robert Thomas? Also, inquiring minds want to know who will be auditioned for punt and kick returns, who are the fastest players on the roster, who are the strongest players on the roster, who came to camp in shape and out of it, and how does Zorn plan to use the scatbacks?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I thought it was that thing that made your head look like an a$$... which it is, and it does... your head... look like an A$$.

Why does your mom have STDs again?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Just sign a contract, take your dumptruck full of money, and get your butt in camp, Orakpo.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the holdup is on either side, but with other teams' pics...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Some of are the most hypocritical people of all f'n time.

Why are people giving JReid such a hard time about this Mayor nickname crap?

Who cares?

First of all, I'd like to call all the self-giving nickname haters out there. At the end, to the bottom left of every single post here there 8 letters, and one symbol. They form: 'Posted By:'

To the right of that there is a space followed by letters, certain symbols, and numbers, and guess f'n what?

THEY FORM YOUR F'N NICKNAME -- That YOU selected. If this blog were yours, and you posted threads on a blog, you'd have your corny ass nickname after every thread too, wouldn't you?

Which brings me to my second point: It's his blog now. He can call himself: "Dickey Two Slaps" and everyone would just have to accept it and get over it.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

ugh....."The Mayor" thing has got to stop.....it's horribly annoying!

I can't help but think of Seinfeld

It's like George Costanza trying to get people to call him "T-Bone" and he ends up with the name "Coco the Monkey".

....and then the whole talking in third person thing......"George is gettin' ANGRY!!

Posted by: filmchis | July 29, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Dickey Two Slaps huh? F'in hilarious.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Linebackers are a dime a dozen. Orakpo should be a 100% down lineman.

Posted by: hz9604 | July 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

To my understanding BOrak will be participating in camp with or without a contract....

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM

I don't know where you got this from but I can assure you that this is not happening without some sort of deal in place. What happens if he gets injured?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I always figured that The Mayor's nickname was spurred by his outgoing nature. He's a gregarious dude.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 29, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Any news on the FA linemen in camp? Do any of them look like they'll stick? Do any of the Terps there look like keepers?

Posted by: HughGRection | July 29, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was calling himself the mayor because the position of Govenor was already filled??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Learned, I believe I heard it on Redskins Nation - from Vinny... so consider the source, lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

check out this interview with Joe gibbs!!!!!

Posted by: nattylite88 | July 29, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Why does your mom have STDs again?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:37 PM

I don't think she has it, Dik. But if she did, I'd would think that contracted it from your grandmother -- who got it from your grandfather, who got it from his sister that was 16 years his senior -- Who was THE poster girl for a white trash sl*t.

She was most definitely a trifle nasty a$$ b*t*h. I used to hear wild freaky stories about her I didn't think they started practicing until recently.

I'm guessing here, but your grandmother gave it to my grandfather. You know, out of revenge for your grandfather sleeping with his sister -- your great-aunt.

Which would explain the frequent cases of down-syndrome in your family, Dik,

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

red/dik, maybe take it offline or something, or just drop it.....please.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Why do you keep talking about your family like that?? That shows some serious self-hatred bro. It's ok - take it easy, breathe...

I didn't know you were white either... but I guess it figures.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrlowery1 | July 29, 2009 2:30 PM

Reading about the Jim Johnson news, I got sent to a link on an Eagles site. In the comments below, they refer to the NY team as the "Ginas". I'm not sure I wanna go there yet.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Linebackers are a dime a dozen. Orakpo should be a 100% down lineman.

Posted by: hz9604 | July 29, 2009 2:47 PM

I agree..Why not pick up D. Brook and really be solid on defense. I know DB not young, but the guy can still play VINNY!!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | July 29, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 2:40 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 29, 2009 2:48 PM

What happens is what happened to Dallas' second third round pick who tore his pectoral muscle working out with the team during off-season conditioning ... he never gets signed.

The draft gives a team exclusive rights to sign a guy for the next season. If he doesn't get signed, he becomes eligible in the next draft. That guy in Dallas (a DT) is screwed.

On a related hilarious note, how did I miss the Snyderific move by Jerrah Jones to have NO picks in the first two rounds in this past draft?

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Cindy made up the name by accident (mocking him as not being the mayor of slick city) and that Jasno read that and kept calling him by that name. Jasno referred to him as "The Mayor" a lot before heading to NFLN. Jason Reid is a serious journalist ... posting at a non-serious blog ... so peeps should lighten up, such as

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

In case y'all didn't notice, I'm using the classic "I'm rubber, you're glue" tactic to enrage the opponent. Seems to be working.

I actually have no problem w/ Red. He's just as dorky as everyone else here (posting party included). He does rile easy, tho, don't he?

Feel free to ITA on either/both of us!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Also, VINNY! why not sign E.James as a short yardage back??? VINNY you sign Sean bumm a** Alexandra last year..VINNY!!!

VINNY GET IT TOGETHER!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | July 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taylormade218 | July 29, 2009 3:04 PM

I posed that same question a while ago and the response I got was that he was too small.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

PICK UP D.BROOK VINNY!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | July 29, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

A washed up old LB, you would think New England would get him by now.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

gotta be someone older than d brooks that we can pick up.

I'm thinking d. butkus can't have lost too much since he last played.....I mean LB's are a dime a dozen...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

beans, if you don't want to read skim over it would be my best advice.

this dude got his feelings hurt because I don't like cops... like I have to or something, who the F is he?

furthermore, this a-hole goes on to throw hollow insults because i think he felt he had to defend his cop buddies, which was cool, but he made it personal.

i guess one of his cop friends split his cherry or something.

the thing is, i thought he was an alright blogger until he came at with me with that bs, started today as a matter of fact, and i was gonna leave him be...

m-m-m... oh well...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's obvious, you have no sort of comeback, Dik. You like so many others I bumped heads with up here is just WEAK, ya heard? when you have nothing but "i know you are, but what am i" comebacks it proves that you can't f with the kid, mo.

Again, all of this could've been avoided if you weren't such a suck-ass bama dude, but I guess it figures, from "wannabes" such as yourself.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

too small??? WOW!! We are never going to win a championship yet alone the division if this CLOWN keep runnin our team.

IT'S HARD BEING A DIE HARD SKINS FAN!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | July 29, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Those of you getting your panties bunched about nicknames on a blog that has always valued nicknames, and as Red pointed out we all use, are serious killjoy, sour-pussed d-bags.

Lighten the heck up...puhleeeze!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 29, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

less than 24 hours and my football team opens camp. go skins and my dirty thirty lay much wood on people this year.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

It was a sad day when the blog was forced into the point where we could no longer use any nickname. I still miss the old skippy posts.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

E.James don't have it no more either, don't think..

Let's give Caveman the rock down low. W/ a big ol Meat-TE clearin' the way

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

caveman needs to learn not to fumble the ball near the goal line....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

chRIs lARry is itself a nickname ... his real name is cHrIS larRY.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

While we are on nicknames, I think I figured it out but where caveman come from.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Red, please - your attempts at insults are laffable and sophmoric, not to mention moronic. You are too easily stirred.

Add that to the fact that there is no reason for any of it other than for you to stroke yourself incessantly, and you're pretty much revealed for the pansy wuss you are.

I gave you an out, why didn't you take it?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Changing the subject, I switched us from cable to DirecTV for our television needs a couple of weeks ago, because it finally became the cheaper option.

This means I'll finally be getting Sunday Ticket, instead of watching games streamed over the Internet.

Anyone have any pointers on getting DTV to throw in the SuperFan (high-def) option for free when I sign up for Sunday Ticket? Seems stupid to have to drop an extra C-note for HD when I already have the HD package and am paying to put it on two TVs.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Lighten the heck up...puhleeeze!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 29, 2009 3:18 PM

I think what's happening is the citizens of Slick City are rising up ... and going out to get bumper stickers that say "Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Cindy."

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Alex, wasn't that from when he grew the beard?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ sween!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

And you, Mr smarty-pants dcsween, are not exactly the Mayor of Slick City either.

The Pimp maybe...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Can I be the drunk Lounge Singer of Slick City?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

He does rile easy, tho, don't he?

Posted by: DikShuttle

Let's be clear here, Dik: You don't know me, I don't know you. It's a safe bet to say that I've never seen you before, and you haven't seen me. My dude, I can't get riled up on a blog. It just isn't possible. Life is good right now, that I'd have to find things to actually get mad about. I mean, really dude, do you really think that much of yourself that you think that I can get mad over some sh*t a complete stranger post?

You're not even worth an asscrumb, much less my ire, Dik,

I've been doing the "beef bloggin" thing for quiet a minute now, as I said many times, I came here with the drama. Do y'all remember the short lived poster "Drama King"? Yeah, that was me.

So to say that I'm riled up, or in a pissy mood is just wrong, I'm sorry to disappoint... Sound like to me, you're taking that TheTruth angle, the "What did I do to you" bs, and the "I'm not the one who's angry/he gets mad easily" sh*t.

Both of you are probably family or some other werid relation.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I think RedDMV ran out of medication!

Posted by: filmchis | July 29, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

the medicine gets me hyped. my natural state is shill.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Red - sorry to say, don't remember Drama King. Perhaps a link to particularly salient posting would help?

[ :-|

But you keep going on & on about stuff you don't give an asscrumb for. Maybe you DO need to take a 'quiet minute' and think before you post?

So like the hayseeds in the cartoons, you keep a lightin' them up - and I'll keep a blowin' 'em out...

ya riled - ya definitely riled. One could say you are Champion & HOF'er Pat RILEy at this point.

True story... almost peed on his shoes once. I was takin a RedDMV, I mean wizz at the AMC Sunset place. And I almost pulled the classic "Hey your Pat Riley" and turn to face him... awesmoe.

Alright kiddos - carpool time.

Red - do I need to deal with this again tomorrow, or are you ok now?

nite nite..

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Don't let the Giants' fanbase get a hold of this photo. I wonder how much they had to pay him to agree to this photo-op.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Mayor McCheese - the new one (era of Barak) is black to go along with that cafe guy in the McCofee ads

Posted by: ElYeah | July 29, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"So things are upbeat at the complex, Zorn said,.." --Duh Mayer

Yes, everything looks upbeat...at least at this juncture.

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | July 29, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

This is a blog. Its opinion, not news. You want news, read a paper. But don't confuse blogs or the "blogshpere" with actual fully investigated and vetted facts. Thats not their purpose.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | July 29, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse