Brown Reveals Rams' Haynesworth Strategy

A friendly hat-tip to ESPN.com's Mike Sando for spotting this St. Louis radio appearance in which Brown said in pretty simple terms that Haynesworth, a two-time Pro Bowler, tires easily.

Brown played the last four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, where he squared off against Haynesworth and the Titans on four occasions, and Brown essentially said that in Week 2 the Rams would utilize a hurry-up offense to tire Haynesworth.

"I'm so glad we're playing Washington early in the year because it's going to be hot out there, we're going to be running hurry-up offense and he's going to get fatigued," Brown said. "And I'm not sure if you have watched film before, but when he gets fatigued, he taps out. He just falls down to the ground, and you're like, 'Oh my gosh, is he hurt? Is something wrong with him?' No, he's just giving the guy on the sidelines enough time to mosey on out there so he can get up, go to the sidelines, catch a breather, get something to drink and then he comes right back out.

"And then people are like, 'I thought he was hurt.' No, he got tired. But you know what, that's exactly what we're going to have to do when we play Washington. We're going to have to play hurry-up offense and make them tired."

Following practice Sunday morning, Coach Jim Zorn was told of Brown's comments and St. Louis' presumed offensive gameplan for the Rams Sept. 20 visit to Washington.

"That's awesome," Zorn said with a chuckle. "What a great strategy."

Not sure how wise it is to give a guy like Haynesworth extra motivation, but as Zorn pointed out, never mind the regular season, "our guys don't want to make Albert angry at practice."

"I don't think he said it to get Albert angry or all fired up. I think he was just making a comment. It's one man's opinion of what we do,"

Zorn said, before flashing a smile and adding,. "maybe he's exposed some dramatic secrets to the Rams. I don't know."

And what does Haynesworth himself make of Brown's take?

"Good," Haynesworth said. "Let him think that."

By Rick Maese  |  August 9, 2009; 7:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orakpo's Exceeding Expectations
Next: Counting Down to Preseason Opener (Updated)

Comments

So, Orakpo is exceeding expectations, ehhh?

He excelled in pass rushing against 3rd string Tackles in an intrasaud scrimmage and got beat in pass coverage by the 2nd team offense....

Someone explain to me how this is 'exceeding expectations'????

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Moss doesn't need the practice anyway...bring him along slowly. Needs fresh legs for live bullets.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 9, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

For the trifecta......

It has already been stated that Haynesworth only plays 60% of the Defensive snaps. We have a heavy rotation...

I wouldn't be surprised if Haynesworth played in only 50% of the def snaps in the month of September.

That being said...if he still produses double digit sacks aand still disrupts the middle on so little snaps, that would be money well spent....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder should send Brown a big wreath or something, as a thank you! If only we could get some more offensive linemen, on the other teams we play, to tick off Haynesworth!

Posted by: Jason10 | August 9, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"So you agree that Portis shouldn't practice either and the media is being too hard on Portis (during the season)???......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse "

Yes I agree with that. Not all players should be treated the same. No need to beat up Portis in Practice. I have never gotten on Cliton on that, for anything really. I am pro-Clinton all the way.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 9, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Our D-line has such quality depth that it won't matter if they run the hurry-up. We can either play Haynesworth 100% of the D snaps and let him tire and get injured so we only get 50% production out of him, or we can play him 50% of snaps and have him at 100% all the time. I'm pretty sure we're doing the second.

Posted by: Keiser | August 9, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

If they run the hurry up, then the D gets tired but the O stays fresh? Wonder how that happens.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Any time the other team has to game plan around one guy, it is a big win.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 9, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I love Orakpo and the reports but really think he needs to be an every down DE. This is where he provides us the most value and upside. It may take a year but this guy was made to rush the QB.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

I'll give it up to Blache on this one, I think having Orakpo coming at you from a variety of positions can only help, if for no other reason than the opposing O will have to keep guessing. And I don't think I've ever heard that an LB was born to drop back in coverage.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Not to mention centers are not really subbed out at all anyway, for any reason, so who's more likely to fatigue? Glad for the D-line depth in any case.

Heh heh. Can't WAIT for this matchup.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Putting Orakpo at OLB means getting the best 11 guys on the field as much as possible. If he plays DE only, then Carter or Daniels have to sit on run plays. I don't know that Orakpo is an upgrade for either one of the them on running plays. I hope he is an upgrade at OLB from what we have on those running plays.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 9, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope he is an upgrade at OLB from what we have on those running plays.

Posted by: Wemiss21

It sounds like Zorn was using the scrimmage to ascertain exactly that, by running certain plays right at him. Which is what scrimmages are for. Getting a clearer answer would make this scrimmage more of a success, wouldn't you think, Jason? And how did some of the other OLB fare against the run? Wilson?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

...but its 2009 and the rest of the country knows us as DMV (thank you Wale)...

Posted by: murphyz | August 9, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I played HS football with Wale. His name was Victor back then..

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Watching to the HOF game. Bills 2nd round pick(i think) and expected starter LG Andy Levitre jus got Pwned by Titans backup DT..

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Vicc - another PG Resident?? What high school was that?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Resulted in a Trent Edwards Interception.

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor,

Quince Orchard High School. Montgomery County.

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Watching the HOF game, wow deja vu it's 1966 all over again.

Is Batman on Tue/Thur?

Posted by: noone_from_tampa | August 9, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

ok guys, I'll defer on Orakpo- Blache is the man, but is Phillip Daniels really all that? Is he one of our best 11 players on D still? I hope so but he's 36 and coming off a serious knee injury...sounds like trouble

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 9, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Considering the Rams pulled last year's win out of their respective rectum, this bodes well for added incentive.

I think we can officially chalk up a capital "W" that weekend. Hell... it might get out of hand in the 2nd half.

Posted by: elfreako | August 9, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Zap! Pow! Zing!

Same bat time, same bat channel

Posted by: noone_from_tampa | August 9, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse
I wrote earlier that CP should be saved for the regular season. That does not mean he should not practice. He should just be used minimally in preseason games.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 9, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

still trying to forget the StL game

To make the playoffs all we needed was to win 2 of 3 from StL, Cin and SF

Posted by: noone_from_tampa | August 9, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

still trying to forget the StL game

To make the playoffs all we needed was to win 2 of 3 from StL, Cin and SF

Posted by: noone_from_tampa

True that, but lookin forward, baby.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

From RI:

"Has St. Louis center Jason Brown figured out the secret to stopping Albert Haynesworth? He seems to think so.

"I'm so glad we're playing Washington early in the year because it's going to be hot out there, we're going to be running hurry-up offense and he's going to get fatigued," Brown said. "And I'm not sure if you have watched film before, but when he gets fatigued, he taps out."

The strategy, if you want to call it that, is to piss him off. Insult his stamina, hope he blows his stack and mayhem ensues. Don't know if the Rams are going to do any hurry up but there will most likely be plenty of on-field needling.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

You and Wale plasyed for QO?

I played youse guys many of times. With your All american band and that tiger growl (Rrraaah!).......

I played from 95 - 97 for Springbrook. What year was you at QO??

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 7:23 PM |

I wonder how you got to be so stupid. You took the quote literally, which wasn't the intent. See my post above. Sheesh.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

So, Orakpo is exceeding expectations, ehhh?

Someone explain to me how this is 'exceeding expectations'????

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess you skimmed over the part where they said Chris Samuels has been having trouble with him all camp.. He is NOT a 3rd stringer my friend he is an all pro. Maybe you should read it again SLOWLY

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | August 9, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 8:54 PM

Last guy did that got his face stomped in.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how you got to be so stupid. ... See my post above.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 8:58 PM

Seeing your posts would probably do it to anyone.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TalkToTheHand

Hmmmm. You may want to rethink your position here. You think this will help the Rams? Friendo?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Yea, and he had an older brother on that team too. Alvin

U way ahead of us..

Wale and I are class of '02

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

4th,

You played with Springbrook in '95? Didn't you guys have a stud QB in '94 (maybe before that, '93?) that was supposed to make some noise in the NCAA? Whatever happened to that guy? I can't remember his name, but he was heavily recruited.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

From the Department of Weirder than Weird Stuff:

ESPN posted this blurb just prior to the HOF game, Tenn vs. Buff:

"Also out for Tennessee are receivers Mark Jones, who's nursing a hamstring injury, and Kenny Britt. Britt, the team's rookie first-round draft pick, didn't start practicing until Friday after recovering from a hamstring injury."

WRs with hamstring injuries! Forkin unbelievable!

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | August 9, 2009 9:02 PM

That was practice. I'm taking bout the scrimmage.....

Vicc - You guys were downhill during your years if I remember correctly...

Tell Wale he need to stop fakin and rep that G'burg more often in his songs. I thought he was in PG county cuz he's parent's live there....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Watching Vince Young play(or should i say struggle) confirms the reason I luv da professional game ova da college game.

In collegiate sports, the most athletic teams won. In professional sports technicality supercedes athleticism; Unless of course you are athletic and you have skill!

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

vicc,

Looking forward to seeing Patrick Ramsey take the field. Neither technicality nor athleticism.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor,

Yea. B-ball team was nice my freshman and sophomore years though. There were sum good ballers around. We'd play during lunch all the time.

I dunno why Wale don't giv a shout out to G-burg? Personally I didn't see his success coming; great for him though.

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Donnie Avery out 4-6 weeks with a foot injury. Puts him on the cusp of being ready for Week 2.

Too bad Leigh Torrance is gone... oh wait, nevermind.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 9, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of LT, any body else thinking the former pwner's man crush was politically motivated? Nahhhhh, couldn't be could it?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 9, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 9:08 PM |

The only thinking to done here dud is to try to figure out how someone could come up with such a lamo handle. Or, even worse, they are confused about which blog they are posting on. lmao.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

In the NFL, wonderlic rulz, stupidity drulz.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 9, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

vicc,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Lol. Didn't JP Losman backup Ramsey at Tulane?

Both Qbs suk!

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

And the throws Young made were STUPID.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 9, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 9:12 PM

Maybe in 92 during the Shawn Springs years...I was in JV in '95, but I don't recall a super star QB. The 'Brook was on its way down by the time I moved up to Varsity in '96.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Any B-ball players here?

Remember this youngin' name: Bruce Massey, Seneca Valley '09.

I promise you see him in the NBA someday!

I've known him since he was 14. Straight Ballin'

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:22 PM

Easy answer. When he 1st came out, he was reppin DC, than it came to pass he never lived in DC, SO he started included PG and DMV...But, alas, no G'burg. I guess he thinks it'll weaken his street cred....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TalkToTheHand

Seriously? Look at what you posted and come back again. Soon.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm too far out of High School to keep up now-a-days.....

I do see Seneca, along with my alma mater have become BBall powerhouses...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Wale, I'm no Vince Young I did superb on the wonderlic. I live right outside of NYC right now and he is getting a lot of spins on hot 97. It's about time we had someone rep the DMV

Posted by: murphyz | August 9, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Ray, scamp and I own the place.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 9, 2009 6:02 PM |

In the same way that cockroaches will "own the place" when civilzation destroys itself.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Ha-Ha-Ha OK there Rams,,,your gonna need a med-star unit, it in the worse way !!!!

Posted by: dashriprock | August 9, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm a lil old to follow now too. I followed Bruce cuz, we close and I'm good friends with his cousin. We used to play all the time.

The kid possess' work ethic and perseverance not commonly found among teenagers. Bruce = Lock-down defender.

Bruce Massey. You heard it here first.

Posted by: Vicc | August 9, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 9:27 PM |

Are you really bashing someone else's handle with the one you have?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 9, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 9, 2009 9:52 PM

Wow, a nobody dik smack coming on here to bash people indiscriminantly. How orignal. What a dooche.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 9, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Ya, I played for Good Counsel in '95, and then we won the championship in '96, missed out as well. And ya, I was thinking of this guy:

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
Ryan Miyamoto
Position: QB
Seneca Valley
Senior
Height: 6-0
Weight: 175
Threw for 20 touchdowns, three interceptions as 13-0 Screamin' Eagles won third straight Maryland 3A title.

I really mean no offense whatsoever, got my schools mixed up. But this guy was heavily touted.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Seneca had sooo many good QBs that have been touted throuhout the 90s...

The one I played against was the one who went to Maryland highly touted but had a serious injury while riding the waves in Ocean City, and it derailed his college carrer @ MD.....

I played against quite a few NFL guys. I have this picture when I pancaked Darnel Dockett (Paint Branch) and I played and wrestled against Dhani Jones (Churchill). But the guy whose sack everyone was on during highschool was Tyree Foreman (Sherwood).

Anyone remember him?? NAte and other UVA alums should know him since that's where he played ball @. After he went to UVA, he did nothing......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Just saw KID(Devin Thomas) of the Kid&Play duo on Geico Sports Night on Comcast sidelined because of hamstring issues,WHAT? HAMSTRINGS? What the hell were you doing this past offseason just so you know Kid there are these machines at the gym that are amazing, designed just for the hamstrings you should try em sometimes DUMBASS!!! LOL!

Posted by: dargregmag | August 9, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Seneca had sooo many good QBs that have been touted throuhout the 90s...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 10:32 PM

Heh heh, ya, fair enough. I think our 5th string QB for the skins played there, suspect he may overtake Chase for the first QB cut.

I hope not (Chase being cut.) My BIL lives in Mizzou, and I've watched Chase play in person many times. Dude knows how to win. No more cults, though. Please.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 9, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I remember seeing the Rams offense. Turns out 3 plays with no huddle takes about the same amount of time as 3 plays with a huddle -- I suspect they don't punt from the no huddle ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't know ... I can see Haynesworth getting after Brown, I can see them doubling Haynesworth and Orapko and then watching Carter and Landry decapitate their quarterback from the other side.

But what good is it if the Skins get the ball back and lesser defenses can do exactly the same thing through a porous offensive line?

Best not to raise any expectations ...

Posted by: periculum | August 10, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 9, 2009

SOP on this blog. Isn't this the same blog where the reporter and GM has running personal battle on-blog and in private emails? Get over it.

Posted by: periculum | August 10, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo often was unblockable during Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage when he rushed the passer as a hand-down end. Although Orakpo did not go against first-team tackles on every rep, he again displayed the speed and pass-rushing skills that have impressed veterans since the beginning of camp.

Orakpo still is adjusting to playing in space in coverage as a linebacker, and he was beaten during the scrimmage, but "I'm just working and getting better every day," he said. "You just have to keep learning every day."

By Jason Reid | August 9, 2009; 4:44 PM ET

Catching up from yesterday...this post right here is what I've been talking about. We need an every down DE with great impact than we do a decent SLB. If you allow Orakpo to concentrate on becoming an elite DE instead of an okay LB, it's better for the team in the long run. He and Jarmon as bookends would be a great proposition for years to come.

But on the flip side of that, I wonder how much of it is how good Orakpo is vs. how bad our offensive line is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 5:27 AM | Report abuse

And I love how Jason Brown says how easy it is to take Haynesworth out of his game...if it was that easy, I think everyone would run the hurry up and Haynesworth wouldn't have had such a ridiculous impact the last 2 years. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 5:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 5:27 AM

It's not "what you've been talking about." It's ALL you've been talking about when the name Orakpo comes up. And, you've persuaded me.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's been almost 10 days of camp and if Orakpo hasn't learned to play SLB as well as he plays DE, then it's time to call off this misguided experiment.

This proves that you can't teach a rookie anything! If he didn't learn it at the University of Texas, he sure isn't going to learn it in the NFL.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 5:54 AM

Well, if the beat writer confirms what I've suspected all along I guess I'm just not blowing smoke, now am I?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

So Patrick Ramsey went 8 of 10 last night and looked better than he ever looked as a Redskin. Maybe Shanahan had an impact on him in Denver? Vince Young was erratic so it will be interesting to see which of the two lands the back up job. And I loved the refs' unis last night.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 5:27 AM

I agree with your assessment but you also have to consider the depth the skins have at DE. If Orakpo played DE on every down, not only will that be leaving us susceptible to the run game, but we are compromising the OLB position. Daniels is a solid run stopping DE and keeping Orakpo as a hybrid OLB keeps our best defensive talent on the field which is crucial.

Think about it... on third downs we will have big man Haynesworth in the middle, Andre Carter, Griffin, and Orakpo ready to get their rush on while Horton/Doughty/Hall/Landry/(maybe Rogers?? lol) will be waiting for the QB to throw an errant pass...

I also wouldn't doubt whatever Greg Blache decides to do. Last year he went under the radar and was able to organize an incredibly solid defense even though Jason Taylor was a screw and we virtually had no pass rush. We all know Zorn had little to do with defense and that was our most notable strength all year. Had the skins developed offensively later in the year, perhaps the D would have been less tired at the end of games and we would have been looking at a 10-6 record! My only hope this season is that we muster up enough offense to let our D carry us into the playoffs... after that anything is possible!

More than likely, next year Philip Daniels will be hanging up his cleats and Orakpo can take over the DE position full time. HOPEFULLY by that time the skins will have addressed the OLB position either through draft or free agency. But to be completely honest, I would rather see the skins invest all of their resources next year on the O-line if this Orakpo experiment is successful.

So for this season, our best bet is to let the young fresh rookie stay on the field as much as possible and let him get after the QB on passing downs.... besides, having Orakpo get a sack on 3rd down will be so much sweater than a sack on 1st down!

HAIL

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 10, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 10, 2009 7:05 AM

You're assuming that I'm playing Orakpo at LDE...he's better suited to play RDE. And quite frankly, I don't believe Andre Carter has played well enough here to warrant keeping his spot without competition.

And I don't get what you mean "susceptible in the run game"...right now I'd bet Orakpo would hold down his spot on the line vs. the run better than Carter has. Every time I look at #99, I remember Tiki Barber going off-tackle on his ass in the season finale a few years back. At 263 pounds, Orakpo isn't gonna get pushed around.

If you want the revolving door of Wynn/Daniels at LDE, we could take that for a year. They know the defense and they'll play their role well against the run. And if you can get Jarmon on the field for a few plays and give him a chance to get settled in that LDE spot going into 2010 that's the best case scenario in my book.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 6:29 AM

Well, there you go again. The beat writer actually contradicts what you were saying. You were saying that by playing at SLB he would not get enough reps at DE to develop his pass rushing skills -- he won't be a good enough DE -- he will lose confidence, blah blah. It was all doom and gloom that you were blowing.

What the beat writer said is that he's exceeding expectations: he's bringing it in the pass rush and that he's still learning how to cover in space.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 7:38 AM

Here YOU go again, losing my whole friggin' point:

I said that they're not playing him where he gives you the most impact. Being disruptive on the line is far greater than getting owned in pass coverage. I said he should get more reps at DE so he can get used to the speed of the game and dominate at that spot, playing to his strengths and allowing him to use the instincts and skills he's honed to this point instead of making him have to think a lot and play in what right now is his weakness.

Don't see where that's a contradiction...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Don't see where that's a contradiction...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 10, 2009 7:49 AM

You don't? Chris Samuels says "He doesn't seem like a rookie. He's strong, he's quick and he has the mentality of a five- or six-year vet in the game." That means, contrary to your sky-is-falling hysteria, that as a DE he's "used to the speed of the game and dominate at that spot." Etc.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: jumbo5383 | August 10, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I keep hearing people talk about "quality depth" on the O-line. No team has all pro Olineman on the bench. What you hope for is one or two guys that can start for some games until your starter returns. The Steelers Oline was beat up all last year, but it was their DEFENSE that won the championship....turnovers...shorter fields, etc.

I am concerned for the oline as well since campbell holds on the ball for too long, but I think as fans we are ignoring how the FO has addressed the defense. As much as we rip em', you have to think we have a good mixture of talent, youth and experience on defense.

Should we have drafted a lineman or two...yes, but you cannot rebuild a team in one offseason.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 10, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

don't let the door hit you on the way out

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo says he likes SLB everyone says he looks good what's the big deal? I'm not all that worried about barber, Jacobs, boss or witten Brian is a lot faster than all of them. Who does worry me is Westbrook and jones but they are both coming off of surgery and might not be as explosive. Look the dude isn't going to be covering desean Jackson it will be backs and tight ends.

Posted by: murphyz | August 10, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't think they can get Haynesworth tired with three downs and a punt.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

So brownwood26,

So how would you use Andre Carter? You are suggesting that he is weak at stopping the run so that implies he is decent as a pass rusher. So yeah...he may not be the best run-stopper but last year the run game didn't hurt us - it was our lack of pass rush that was the dagger. He can get to the quarterback no doubt if he isn't double teamed... with Haynesworth on the line he will see favorable matchups. I just don't think it is smart to let him sit on the bench... he has had good years before with lower caliber teammates. I expect him to rebound this year.

Jarmon should see his fair share on the line too but nothing too extensive. Atleast not yet... I know there is good word that he is having a surprisingly strong camp but I don't think he is going against a strong Oline haha... If he blows up during the preseason then that would change things considerably...

With the move of Orakpo to all-time DE, who would fill the role of SLB? Don't get me wrong, Blades is a hard-worker but I wouldn't want him on the field every down...The skins have a hole at SLB and Orakpo can fill that void... that's the MAIN reason why he is playing SLB and not DE. The couches aren't stupid... they are probably well aware of his abilities but they are basically trying to fill two positions with one player. While that isn't ideal for Orakpo's development as a pass rusher, he is still going to learn a lot and add to his versatility.

So ultimately you are right.. Orakpo is a thoroughbred pass rushing DE that is being "misused." But if he can play SLB and we need an SLB, we might as well let him have crack at it.

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 10, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 9, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2009 7:05 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moss has hamstring issues every season. How about talking to some receivers that have been in the league for a while that don't have this problem. He needs practice just like anyone. He and Portins know the team has to turn to them so they are not worried.

If Clinton could skip any type of practice whatsoever and just show up on Sunday, with his goofy smile and play, he would do exactly that.

Devin Thomas seems to be following the same mold as these two. How can you be a second year guy that barely played during your first season and have hamstring problems? Come on man, these guys are acting like slackers.

We need fresh meat on offense. If Zorn can't motivate these slackers to take the field he needs to go too.

Posted by: hbu_dog | August 10, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

'ok guys, I'll defer on Orakpo- Blache is the man, but is Phillip Daniels really all that?'

yes he is, in the Jumpy Geathers tradition.

Daniels is one of the strongest players in the nfl, and his role on the field is to stand-up olineman thus disrupting the run while our lb's make plays. That's how Blatche's defense operates.

Posted by: divi3 | August 10, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

'Come on man, these guys are acting like slackers.'

Portis' play on the field speaks for itself. I'm fine with him not playing 5 snaps in all of preseason (remember when he seperated his shoulder making a spectacular tackle...in PRESEASON??).

Moss has a chronic hammy but has only missed 4 games. He's an 8yr vet, let him take care of himself.

Devon Thomas and Malcolm Kelly need to be on the field.

Posted by: divi3 | August 10, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I think the Skins' problem is that Orakpo looks better than anticipated, and now they're faced with figuring out how to get him on the field. One of those nice problems to have.

As so many have noted, he's not a natural at the SAM, but there's a hole there and the coaches probably thought it was worth a try. Still might be. He can always come in at LDE for Daniels on rushing downs, with Philip shifting to tackle. Assuming Daniels is healthy, that is.

Or conceivably they could scheme to rush him from the SAM position.

Orakpo sure looks like the best pass rusher in this draft, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 10, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

What a colossal ahole. I hope Albert punches a hole in his chest on his way to breaking both the QB's legs. That's just asinine to make comments like that before playing the guy.

Yeah, I'm sure Al will forget all about this by Week 2. I hope he cripples Brown or at least breaks his jaw in 12 places so this ignorant moron will shut his pathetic piehole the rest of the year.

Posted by: McMetal | August 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"Good," Haynesworth said. "Let him think that." HA HA HA HA HA........

Posted by: punchdaclock | August 10, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Please Albery, Don't stomp this guys head when you get him down. We need you this year!!

Posted by: scottmando | August 10, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Please Albert, Don't stomp this guys head when you get him down. We need you this year!!

Posted by: scottmando | August 10, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If Zorn can't motivate these slackers? Neither Shanahan or Gibbs could motivate CP and that's completely fine, the man sacrifices his body every Sunday for his teammates. If he dosent want to practice so be it, he has proved himself and earned that right.

Posted by: murphyz | August 10, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse