Haslett: Redskins could have success running 4-3 or 3-4 defense

The Redskins officially announced the hiring of Jim Haslett as Mike Shanahan's defensive coordinator Friday afternoon, cementing the deal that was struck Tuesday night and giving the franchise a new defensive direction following two years under Greg Blache, who also officially announced his retirement.

"I think they've got a good nucleus of players," Haslett said Friday by phone. "I loved the organization. The owner's passionate about the game, and he hired a great head coach with a great background. I think it's a great opportunity."

Haslett was in the office this past week familiarizing himself with the Redskins' personnel. His impressions: The team has several good pieces, and it could have success running either the 4-3 preferred by Blache, or the 3-4 alignment Haslett used when he was the defensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers in the late 1990s.

"I think you got the personnel to do whatever you want," Haslett said. "You got to decide what angle you want to go. The secondary doesn't make a difference, but I think you got to decide what's best to run for you to be effective.

"I think the 3-4 is a good fit for them. Guys like [linebacker-end Brian] Orakpo, he could really do it. [Defensive tackle Albert] Haynesworth could do it. London [Fletcher, the middle linebacker] has done it before, I think Rocky [McIntosh] could do it. I think [defensive end Andre] Carter could be a good rush linebacker, but he's a good defensive end, too. Those are all things we'll go through."

Haslett said he and Shanahan spent a few weeks in this offseason -- when neither was with an NFL team -- talking philosophy and going over different strategies.

"I have a great deal of respect for what Jim has done in this league," Shanahan said in a statement released through the team. "He is one of the game's sharpest defensive minds and has a great passion for the sport. He will be instrumental to our success in Washington."

Haslett, 54, played as a linebacker for eight years in the NFL, seven of those with the Buffalo Bills. He rose to coaching prominence with the Steelers from 1997-99, then became the head coach of the New Orleans Saints from 2000-2005, leading the franchise to its first playoff victory.

Haslett's most recent NFL experience came as the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-08, though he was named interim head coach of the Rams midway through that final season. He spent 2009 as the head coach of the Florida Tuskers of the fledgling United Football League, leading his team to a 6-0 record and an appearance in the championship game.

"I think it's a great fit," said Randy Mueller, an executive with the San Diego Chargers who hired Haslett to be the head coach in New Orleans. "My first reaction was I was very happy for him, and happy for Mike, because he made a great choice. The guy is just an excellent coach."

Haslett is the second member of Shanahan's staff to officially be announced, joining assistant head coach-running backs Bobby Turner. Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son and the new offensive coordinator, was due into the team's Ashburn headquarters Friday night after his wife gave birth this week.

By Barry Svrluga  |  January 15, 2010; 5:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins reach out to Haiti
Next: Texans offensive assistant interviews with Redskins

Comments

With Big Al, why not a 1-6?

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

With Big Al, why not a 1-6?

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Now THAT is funny.

Posted by: OintheSierras | January 15, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Also interesting, as he said the secondary 'doesn't make a difference'.

Going to a 3-4 with the current personnel doesn't seem like a worthwhile move in the near term. If Haslett and Shanahan believe a 3-4 is better over the long haul, I think you make that move when London Fletcher calls it a day.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Boom.

That's what I like to hear.

Throw a little bit of everything at them.

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

hazzy says can be a 3-4 or 4-3 instead of same-o same-o 4 rushers hold your lanes 3 spread lb's and secondary playing 10-15 yds downfield with pee-wee style of safety help.

i am looking forward to seeing different looks all game long and smash mouth, layem flat when they come into your area type of football.

thank you shanny, i am starting to get jazzed, now lets hear some more about the offensive offense. i'll take whatever you decide and disregard all the arm chair gm's.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 15, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Mixing up the alignments is what the consistently good defenses have been doing.

Rex Ryan w/Bmore and Jets throws all sorts of alignments out there.

I've seen the Steelers go "muddle" where no one even lines up (purposefully) until after the ball is snapped and then you see guys breaking to different positions and assignments.

The attitude of an attack defense is to bring it to the offesne and keep them confused/flustered.

Posted by: p1funk | January 15, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Is Toby Gerhart, who just declared for the Draft, the RB Beast that has been compared to Riggins.. ??
Thunder and Lightening,
Gerhart and ???
Aldridge?, Mason?, Portis?

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 15, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Also interesting, as he said the secondary 'doesn't make a difference'.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM |

What it tells me is he is not going to jump into either defense until he sees what he has.

When he says the secondary doesn't matter he means when it comes to a 3-4 or 4-3 the secondary plays the same way.

I respect your cubicle GM knowledge but if he says they have the talent, I would tend to think he knows more then you.

Why do some of you think Fletch. is to small to play in a 3-4, he has played in it before. He's short but not small.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 15, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sort of surprised that Haslett doesn't have a clear direction on this. I would have thought that would have come up within the first 5 minutes of the interview."

I'm sort of surprised you don't understand this is a non-answer delivered in coach speak, or that you think he would actually spell out his entire thinking in a phone interview within hours of getting the job....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 15, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Good by Blache, Hello Haslett! I sure hope that he knows how to put his players in a scheme that will maximize their abilities! Blache sure did not have a clue how to do that! Blache was like play it my way or else! The time for change is here! Hooray for Haslett!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 15, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

ummm was this really an "offseason" meeting or right after the Skins lost to Detroit and Snyder's plane just happened to be in Denver??
=============

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 15, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I like the regime so far. But I am so curious what we do with Campbell. Here's my take, along with some other ideas that I call a "New Recipe":http://ow.ly/WZnd

Posted by: gatorado | January 15, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I meant GOODBYE!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 15, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Shanny will bring in a vet or rookie to compete with Campbell and JC will demand a trade like he did last March when Snyder was pursuing Sanchez (how'd that work out for Dan?).
=======================

Posted by: gatorado | January 15, 2010 5:40 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 15, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Had to step away and need to know, did RI buy an aircraft carrier? And is it for Humanitarian purposes or sinning?

============

Too many questions (not you dcsween) and impatient for answers, but I will wait on MS and JH to make the right decisions on scheme based on their experience and the strengths that the players bring.

Still, the exciting part is having football professionals answering these questions.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 15, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

I get that, but its pretty common to see a guy with a philosophy come in and just say what he's going to do. If Monte Kiffin comes in, he'll run a Tampa-2. When Capers went to Green Bay, it was going to be a 3-4. There was no mystery from day 1.

I suspect most coaches have a preference, Haslett included.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd like it if Haslett had 3-4 one game and then a 4-3 the next game..and so on.. depending on the opponents strengths and weaknesses. Make em prepare each week for both. haha.
==========================

Posted by: chrislarry | January 15, 2010 5:36 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 15, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Greg Williams run a 4-3 and 3-4 depending on the situation?

Posted by: wattsicon | January 15, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM

Peeps up here have their own clear directions in much faster than 5 minutes.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

Funny, but I didn't go there. I think the front 7 played effectively, so I don't see a rush to change. The reason I'd consider a 3-4 after Fletcher is because great MLBs are few and far between. I suspect its easier to find a couple of guys who can play ILB in a 3-4 than it is to find the next London Fletcher.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Redskins run different personnel groupings if 18-20 guys playing 34, 43, even 46. Basically, different groups and packages based on down, distance, game situation, and availability of players due to injury. Mix, match, and ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK all game long.

I'm tired of Elisha sitting comfortably in the pocket hitting the open spots in our weak soft scheme Blache ran all damn game long. I think those days are over.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 15, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Did you note the comment on Andre Carter as a standup rush LB?

the redskins do not have the personnel to convert to the 3-4. they are short on LBs. this would be the process to convert Orakpo to be comparable to Ware of dallas.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 15, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Did you note the comment on Andre Carter as a standup rush LB?

Posted by: oknow1 | January 15, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Haslett said Fletcher has played in a 3-4 ... when was that? At the start of his career, Rams were a 4-3 (the Vermeil years), including Fletcher's SB ring year.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I noticed the part about Carter standing up as OLB as well ... but mostly remember that he just didn't like it, not that he didn't do well. Carter likes rushing the passer ... and sacking him. I don't recall Carter being in a package this past year where he's one of only three down lineman, but that doesn't mean he couldn't do that as well. Looking at the sack stats for the year, other than Dumervil and Ware (OLBs in a 3-4), the leaders are mostly 4-3 DEs.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I can feel that I am being sucked in again and that Danny has indeed seen the light. It is great to hear real football people talking football and that Vinney is out of sight and out of mind.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 15, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I think part of the reason teams went to a 3-4 is to attempt to match available personnel to talents. It allowed guys who were too small for DE but had pass rush skills to play. Plus MLB is a very tough position to play.

The flipside is that ts tough to find the right NT.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Is it my imagination or are more underclass players are opting for the draft? If that is so, then would not rds 3-7 have better quality players and there would be more possible diamond in rough type of players that don't get drafted?
Can someone who follows the possiblities in the draft please give me some insight on this. If there are not more than usual then ignore this post and thank you anyway.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 15, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately the recently departed FO left the new regime with only 5 picks.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1

I don't follow the draft, but yes, your imagination is right. Not sure of the specifics, but its about the collective bargaining agreement. The expectation is that it will make more sense (ie dollars) if you are a rookie in 2010 instead of 2011.

Apparently lots of guys who would normally stick around for another year decided to make the jump now.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I personally believe that U.S. Americans need maps, like such as, because the zcezcestestes and the skinnedmyballs77, should duct tape their keyboards, uh, to help, uh, spare other U.S. American RI blogger peeps from reading their aircraft carrier posts, in the future.

Posted by: MsTeenSouthCarolina | January 15, 2010 4:10 PM

While your posts are funny they're very demeaning to my girlfriend. During preparation for the Miss USA pageant I had her convinced that a “cram” session was something completely different.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Also interesting, as he said the secondary 'doesn't make a difference'.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM

no sense tipping your hand so other teams get an idea what you might be looking for personnel-wise.

Posted by: skinswest | January 15, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Dont you mean that Vinny left this team with only 5 picks.BTW F-Dallas!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 15, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

3-4 or 4-3 doesn't matter to me!! Personnel Does!! Personnel will dictate wheter either scheme is successful. I mean lets look at the concerns facing the Defense. Daniels only signed a one year deal and will be 37 next season, Griffin is 33 and slowing down as well. Montgomery and Golston only signed one year deals after being RFA's last off season. This offseason they're UFA's. Andre Carter just doesn't fit in a 3-4 he's not big enough to be an DE in that scheme, trading him might not be a bad idea. Jarmon is listed at 6-3 280 so I'm not seeing where needs to add weight at as you guys are saying. We know Orakpo will be fine at OLB and McIntosh would be fine sliding into the middle and Fletcher would be ok, but he's aging as well and his size may become a problem as inside LB's in a 3-4 have to often shed a blocker more often than in a 4-3. Carlos Rogers likely won't be back due to his prone to getting beat deep and rocks for hands. Reed Doughty is a UFA cause he only signed a one yr deal as well. So outside of Horton, Landry(at SS not FS), Moore, Hall, Smoot, Tryon, and Barnes. The secondary may be the least area of worry.

Posted by: cee_212002 | January 15, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest

Wouldn't a FA LB interested in coming here want to know if its a 3-4 or 4-3? Or put another way, if a FA LB isn't interested enough to ask if it'll be a 3-4 or 4-3, then I wouldn't want that guy.

I just don't think this stays a secret very long. Now, if Haslett has something radical up his sleeve (a defensive version of the wildcat), you keep that a secret.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

JASON LA CANFORA
Seahawks offer Redskins’ Gray secondary job
Posted: January 15th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Jerry Gray, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins

The Seahawks, working to put a staff together under new head coach Pete Carroll, have offered Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray a position coaching their defensive backs, according to a league source.

Gray, who the Redskins granted permission to interview this week with the Seahawks, met with team officials and is mulling the offer.

Gray is expected to take the job, though it’s conceivable the Redskins could work to keep him. He interviewed for the Redskins’ head coach job late in the regular season, before Jim Zorn was fired. Last year the Redskins blocked Gray from interviewing for the Houston defensive coordinator job.

Should Gray depart, the Redskins are likely to give Bob Slowik, a longtime associate of head coach Mike Shanahan, a position in the secondary (Slowik interviewed last week and will definitely join this staff in some capacity, according to sources). Current safeties coach Steve Jackson interviewed to stay on staff this week as well.

Posted by: TWISI | January 15, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Now that we've blown up the offense - let's blow up the defense! Yeah - Hail to the SnydSkins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 15, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 6:59 PM

True, but FA does not start for a few weeks yet, so there is plenty of time to watch film on the players he (Haslett) has and sit w/MS to see which formation the D will use.

Why he has not told the media (and you and I) at this point does not matter.

Professional football people are running the show now and will make good decisions w/our team. IMO anyway.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 15, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Gray gone Good!1 Let Jackson go as well!! Slowik??? He's a Shanahan guy or a Haslett guy?? I understand MS is the HC, but I'd be more comfortable if the DC chose his own staff with just the input of Shanahan.

Posted by: cee_212002 | January 15, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Props to the Redskins, Dan Snyder (who also volunteered the services of Redskin1), and those who contributed to the 8 mil raised with text donations.

Other Hollywood stars making contributions to the effort include Madonna, who donated $250,000, and Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, who have given $1 million to Doctors Without Borders. Supermodel Gisele Bündchen donated $1.5 million.

Props to this people for their continued charity. I would normally make a joke about Gisele but not this time.

As for the Cooley vs. Davis debate. Trade em both and maybe we could possibly net a 2nd & 3rd round pick and then try to find the next Chris Cooley & Fred Davis. I mean who needs a 28 yr old 2x pro bowler in CC and a future All pro in FD.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 5:23 PM
I remember reading when Carter joined the Skins, that he didn't like playing LB, and and then last year when Haynesworth, joined the Skins, that he didn't relish playing NT. Carter had his best year with us last year. I don't care what business you are in, maintaining a system that keeps your workers happy makes for better production. I'm not talking about coddling and lack of discipline, I'm talking about finding out what really brings the best out of your people. Its common sense management. If both the 3 and 4 man fronts would work, and our best players like the 4 man front best, why change to the 3 man front? Who will be out 2nd ILB? Blades? Rocky sure isn't an ILB. Assuming Carter and Orapko would be OLB's, that means Rocky would be a back up. So, you would be replacing a starting LB (Rocky) with a backup (Blades, unless a better ILB is signed or drafted). Why go through this complicated Metamorposis when with just a little tough love from the coaches to the secondary we could have a top 5 D next year.

Posted by: kenboy1 | January 15, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins930

Gotta agree on this last point ... first time that can be said in a very long time. Even Gibbs had been out of football a long time and wasn't up to speed.

This staff is definitely current and professional

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 7:17 PM |

Thank you. Someone who finally gets it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

the best the Redskins can hope for is to get lucky and be 7-9 next year. Snyder has done it again. He's hired superstars, just coaches instead of players. they will put all their super brains together for three years max, maybe one brief playoff appearance, and then pull the plug. have fun drinking the kool-aid.

Posted by: rfjh1 | January 15, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

what, a comment on Cooley and Haiti with no mention of an aircraft carrier? Did ya run out of letters on your keyboard?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter what you run if you don't tackle somebody! This team needs to find more physicality! They are not physical enough...Look at the defenses in the playoffs and even the Colts come and get you!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | January 15, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | January 15, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 7:44 PM

If you could somehow trade Cooley for an aircraft carrier and a Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba sandwich that would be worth it.

Otherwise you might as well keep the two and have a position of strength and depth...for once.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

to elaborate: the thing people don't understand is that it is pretty easy to be mediocre in the NFL. all it takes is professionalism, experience, money, talented players, etc. granted, sometimes you get a Jim Zorn, who, for all his nice personality traits, lacks some of the essentials necessary for head football coach. but when you only have 32 teams in a sport, finding good coaches really isn't the problem, is it? You need things that are more difficult to find these days, like continuity, faith, patience, will, daring, respect, character, individuality. I could go on, but needless to say after 10 years, this organization, i.e. Dan Snyder, doesn't have any of those rare qualities. With Snyder running the show, the Redskins will continue to strive to be mediocre, nothing more. Sorry folks.

Posted by: rfjh1 | January 15, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rfjh1 | January 15, 2010 7:43 PM |

I''l take superstar coaching over superstar players everyday and twice on Sundays. You don't get it dude.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Did you really say that finding good coaching really isn't a problem? Wow, you're just not very bright.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 8:03 PM

There is no HOPE in DOPE.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you pay AH those big bucks to play NT. Now if you sign Richard Seymour and play AH at DE - that could work. But frankly I wouldn't expect them to make a final decision until FA is over and you get the guys into mini-camp and see how things play out.

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

TRADE jaguars trade there #11 draft pic and rt eugene monroe to the redskins for there #4 jaguars draft tim tebow they really want tebow

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

eugene monroe is LT

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:28 PM

Good news for the Jags...he will be available at #11 and help sell some tix but in the long run a wasted pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 8:32 PM |

I know a lot of people say Tebow won't suceed at the pro level but the dude is an athlete. Most of all, though, he is a winner and that is an intangible that can't be taught or substituted.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

YOU GOT TO ADMIT IT WOULD BE A STILL FOR THE SKINS IF THE JAGS THOUGHT WE WERE WATCHING HIM

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

scamp-

He will be drafted @ #11 by the Jags. The Jags #1 need is to sell tix. If you could put Tebow's heart, desire, and work ethic and put that into the body of an avg NFL QB he would be transformed into a HOF QB.

He’s a guy you want on your team just not in the first 2 rounds.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinker11 | January 15, 2010 8:25 PM

No, this decision needs to be made prior to FA so that you can target the players you want that fit the scheme you want to run and trade those that don't.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 15, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS TAKE C.J. spiller with the #11 PIC

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS TAKE C.J. spiller with the #11 PIC

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS TAKE C.J. spiller with the #11 PIC

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:53 PM

I'd do it, I just don't think the Jags would.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS TAKE C.J. spiller with the #11 PIC

Posted by: robertg238 | January 15, 2010 8:53 PM

I'd do it, I just don't think the Jags would.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 8:57 PM |

One thing is for sure the Jags will take Tebow, but I think that he will be there at 11 and they know that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 15, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Why do people keep talking about Jacksonville and pick 11? Everything I read says they pick 10.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 9:28 PM

You're right. I just took it for granted that robertg knew what he was talking about.

I told you there's no hope in dope.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 15, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cee_212002 | January 15, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Carter is a lot faster than you give him credit for. He can definitely be a standup linebacker in a 3-4. He's done it before. The question is what do we do about DE in a 3-4. You need really big 300 lbs strong guys. We have big al and phil daniels. Renaldo wynn and jarmon if he adds 20 pounds. Jarmon has the frame to add that much weight. It could be done. We could have a 3-4 with:

Jarmon
Big Al
Phil Daniels

Carter
Rocky
Fletch
Orakpo

I'd prefer to run this on a few third downs and randomely throughout the game. I wouldn't do it all the time but it would be real cool to have all these guys close to the line like Pitt and Bal does. You wouldn't know what we're doing until the ball is snapped. I would use it more as a confusion generator than a base scheme. I think the real answer is to mix 4-3 and 3-4.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 15, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Our front 7, in a 4-3, have done fine for the past few seasons. I'm not sure how much upside there is to going 3-4.

The big issue, can Haslett fix the DBs?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 15, 2010 9:49 PM |

We discussed this last night I think and I also think that is what Haslett was hinting at when he said we could run either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 8:03 PM

I think both of my posts above make it clear, but here it is again for those who think I don't get it: Sure, good coaching is good coaching, but it isn't that rare in the NFL. What's rare is continuity: i.e. finding a good coach and sticking with them through thick and thin, not hiring and firing every 2-3 years, which is what Dan Snyder and the Redskins have done for the past 10 years, and which I believe they will continue to do. Shanahan is not going to come into D.C. and turn around a severely dysfunctional franchise in 2-3 years, so he will be out in 2-3 years. Not because he's a bad coach, but because Dan Snyder is an impatient, meddling owner.

Scampbell, maybe you are the one who doesn't get it. It isn't about the latest big name hire, whether it is a coach or a player. It's about the impatient, meddling owner.

Posted by: rfjh1 | January 15, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

they didn't just invent the 3-4 defense in recent years... in the 1980's other than the Bears and Skins every team ran the 3-4.

if you have enough good defensive linemen, you should run the 4-3... if not, the 3-4

it all depends on the personnel of the team... one scheme is NOT better than the other

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

dom capers during game with cardinals. this is sooooo funny.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 15, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rfjh1 | January 15, 2010 10:13 PM |

While I agree with the meddling, impatient owner thing (and if you'd been paying attention on here for the last 3 years you would see that) I think you are a moron for saying good coaches are easy to find.

Tell the Chiefs, the Raiders, the Lions, the Rams, the Browns, the Bucs, the Bills, the Seahawks, the Dolphins, the Skins, the Bears, the Jags, and possibly the Panthers that good coaches are easy to find.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the Dolphins have a darn coach in Sparano

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

why not set a 4-3 base defense, then switch to 3-4 to give BigAl a breather, which may take quite some time.

Posted by: abxinc | January 15, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

a darn good coach I mean

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I think the Dolphins have a darn coach in Sparano

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 10:33 PM |

But they haven't for a while, a la coaching carousel.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't you need short stubby 320 pounders, a bigger LONDON FLETCHER as an example to run an effective 3-4? HAYNESWORTH will be traded for draft picks. He's already got his 41 million and then some.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 15, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

the Dolphins hired Parcells first then he brought in Sparano

I'm not really sure as to who picked whom as far as Shanahan and Allen are concerned

Shanahan was a very good coach in Denver but there's really never been a coach who's been able to duplicate his success at other places other... the only one who has come the closest has been Parcells

so I'm skeptical as to how much success this team will have under Shanahan.

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

so I'm skeptical as to how much success this team will have under Shanahan.

Posted by: joek443 | January 15, 2010 10:41 PM |

Justifiably so. We'll still be better than we were with Zorn and Vinny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

With Big Al, why not a 1-6?

Posted by: farstriker | January 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Actually if 2009 Landry decides to play FS then we might have to run a 1-1 with Big Al up front, London at LB and everyone else providing backup for Landry.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 15, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse
No, he was talking about the USS Cooley.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 15, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

This team is going to the 3-4. They're doing a soft sell to the players right now, but I totally believe the decision has been made. Carter won't be happy playing linebacker and Haynesworth won't like playing nose tackle, so they are treading lightly until they can sell it to the players. This owuld be a great time for the Redskins to tighten up their policy on what comments to the media constitute "conduct detrimental to the team", because there will be some whining.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 16, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

To fields of faded glory
Restored new again.
With trumpets blare
A glimpse of manifesto
Draw the line!
4-3?
3-4?
Speed, strength
Strength, speed
What angle to go?
And go...

And we so patiently wait

Posted by: edvar | January 16, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

"So let's not make it sound like the Redskins are racist or something."

wow, really? redskins = english racial slur. there is a picture of a "redskin" mug-shot on the helmet for christ' sake. you cannot get any more racist than that. the rooney rule itself is racist. jerry gray was used, and they are now waiting and biding their time before they announce they are going to sh!tcan him too.

Posted by: BMACattack | January 16, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | January 16, 2010 3:30 AM

They would never try to sh1tcan him after he tried, unsuccessfully, to sh1tcan them to take a college coaching job in Memphis. Redskins are much more loyal than that.

Posted by: League-Source | January 16, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

zce: "...he said the secondary 'doesn't make a difference'.To me, this goes to the heart of it. The front 7, in a 4-3, were effective. The secondary was a mess. The problem is the secondary."

He did use an odd phrasing, but I doubt he meant it as criticism of the secondary. He meant the secondary doesn't determine whether a team can (or should) play a 4-3 or a 3-4. It's the personnel in the front seven. You notice he doesn't mention Landry or the corners; that's not what he's discussing here.

Fletcher is indeed the wild card. He's extremely effective in the current system (which was actually installed by Grilliams) but it's a legit question as to how he'd react to a Pitt-style defense.

Lots of teams play a hybrid of both schemes, and maybe that's what Haslett will wind up with.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 16, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

"Haslett: Redskins could have success running 4-3 or 3-4 defense"

Those of us who've been posting this since last year, and got laughed at by the 'Oh-no-we-can't-join-the-modern-nfl' crowd, have been vindicated.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 16, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

leader of the 'Oh-no-we-can't-join-the-modern-nfl' crowd = Greg Blache

Personally, I think it was a mistake when we abandoned the Double Wing formation on offense. JC is the prototypical Double Wing QB.

Posted by: League-Source | January 16, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I was one of those people...

...I am now in favor of running any and everything that fits our personnel....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 16, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why skeptics out there are frowning on Haslett's comments.

Isn't it a breath of fresh air to hear the DC talk about mixing up schemes to use personnel in alot of different scenarios?

But the only guys on the roster right now that seem to have the beef for a 3-4 NT are Anthony Montgomery and AH.

Since Anthony MOntgomery didn't seem to find much room as a DT in our 4-3 last season, maybe he comes in to play NT in a 3-4 alignment.

I think the LBs could get the job done in that formation.

Interesting note is that Curtis gatewood (one of our last practice squad signings) is 6'3'' 240lbs and came off of the Steelers practice squad - seems to have the size and beef and to get get molded into an effective 3-4 LB.

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree....

....To me, I have repected Haslett from afar for quite some time. A former hard nosed LB who admitted to doing Steriods back in his days. He lays everything out in front of you. Very Transparent.

Plus he led his UFL team to an undefeated season in the league's innagaural season. He knows how to lead and be listened.

And he had the Redskins number as Head Coach for NO/St. Louis.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 9:30 AM

Best time to think about switching to a 3-4 is in the off-season when you can switch your personnel.

Posted by: League-Source | January 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Scouting report on Toby Gerhart, RB from Stanford...

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 16, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

An interesting player that comes to mind is Alan Branch at AZ - a backup D-lineman in AZ's 3-4 scheme.

This year, it finally looks like he "got" it. He made his proper playing weight, and he's been effective in the spots he's played, though he's still not a starter.

I think he's in Year 3 of a 4-year rookie contract. I don't know how high AZ is on him, but maybe they are open to moving him and he can get out from under his "disappointing" label in a new place.

He's got the beef to play NT and he's familiar w/ the scheme.

Who knows...

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Scouting report on Toby Gerhart, RB from Stanford...

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 16, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

They said the best player comparison is Ladell Betts.

We already have a Ladell Betts.

Sorry. I'll pass on using a draft pick on Betts 2.0.

I think next season a healthy Portis can gives us most everything that they say Gerhart can give a team.

If we are gonna burn a pick on a RB, I'd like him to have speed and home-run potentil.

Posted by: p1funk | January 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If we're gonna take a running back high there are only 2 that I would want. They have completely opposite running styles but both would be effective. Together they would be a great one two. Jonathan Dwyer and CJ Spiller.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Why should he? Even Pittsburgh has become enamored with the "hybrid" that is actually a 4-3 that they have been running in AZ. The only reason for that to not continue is the difficulty drafting players who would fit in the 4-3 in today's NFL. Certainly Haslett and Shanahan are capable of putting together that 'hybrid' defense.
And they STILL NEED a new defensive backfield. Without Taylor and Springs this set seems more than dysfunctional.

Posted by: periculum | January 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse