Posted at 2:22 PM ET, 12/20/2010

Have a nice trip: Sam Paulescu struggles at punter

By Tarik El-Bashir

The Redskins' don't appear to have addressed their instability at punter after newly acquired Sam Paulescu struggled in Sunday's 33-30 loss in Dallas.

In fact, Paulescu's most memorable moment might have come when he tripped Cowboys returner Bryan McCann on a first quarter punt return. Paulescu wasn't penalized on the play, but replays showed him lifting his leg in a blatant effort to slow McCann.

"It was a last, split second thing," Paulescu said Monday. "I dove to the one side and he juked me. All I could do was soccer, karate kick at him, anything. You just do what can. If that saved a touchdown ...you do anything you can to slow him down."

"Honestly, maybe I should have run down the field harder," he added. "It was me and him in the open field, and that's tough. You try to tackle the guy. I just hope I don't get fined or anything. I don't know, with all the fines and everything."

Paulescu might have prevented a Cowboys score, but if he wants to preserve his employment with the Redskins, he knows he'll need to kick better. He punted four times and posted overall and net averages of 39.5 and 26.0, which includes a 30-yard punt in the second quarter.

"Running out there for the first punt, I felt great," Paulescu said. "My first three punts, they weren't good, I tell you that right now. Did I have to relax a little bit? Yeah. I felt good, my drop was good. If there was one thing, I just didn't finish through the ball."

The 26-year-old out of Oregon State was brought in last week to replace Hunter Smith, who was cut after his botched hold on a critical field goal attempt against Tampa Bay. While Smith's miscue might have provided the impetus for the move, Smith also had been struggling.

Paulescu said he expects a stronger effort Sunday in Jacksonville after a full week of practice and becoming more accustomed to his teammates.

"It was tough, for anyone it is, to come in Week 15 and play," he said. "The thing is I had a good week of practice, I felt comfortable. Here's another thing: You have to look at the positives and I nailed one punt at the end. I told Coach [Mike Shanahan] today, no excuses, I did bad, but I know that's not me. That last punt gave me confidence. I just needed one good hit, so I could say, 'Okay, this is what it feels like.'

The Redskins are expected to open up the competition for punter in the offseason.

By Tarik El-Bashir  | December 20, 2010; 2:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When will the Redskins and Donovan McNabb part ways?
Next: John Beck finally gets his chance--in practice

Comments

Why not pick up Kyle Orton and draft a sleeper QB in later rounds.

Thoughts?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 11:15 AM

Hell no.....

Why pass on Mallet and/or Newton?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

That was a pretty nice trip...it had me fooled until I saw the replay.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

This guy Palescu strikes me as genuine but not too bright. I would never admit that I tried to karate kick another player or that "maybe I should run harder". Next punter, please. NEXT!!!!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 20, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope if no cap and if can't trade mcnabb that shanny just hangs on to him, keeps him on the bench and makes the chump watch for his "disrespectful" hissy fit he threw for being benched when he deserved to be benched!! They got the money and time that they can truly be "disrespectful" to a qb that has been OVER-RATED his entire career! It would be about time that diva got what he deserves! IT WOULD BE SO FUNNY TO SEE HIMBE A 3RD STRINGER THRough A WHOLE SEASON BEHIND A ROOKIE AND MAYBE REX!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 20, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Why not pick up Kyle Orton and draft a sleeper QB in later rounds.

Thoughts?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 11:15 AM

Hell no.....

Why pass on Mallet and/or Newton?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

no thank you on Newton.

Posted by: overzealous08 | December 20, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Hell no.....

Why pass on Mallet and/or Newton?

Posted by: 4thFloor

just throwing stuff out there 4th, although lets be fair my complete domination of you in fantasy football should show you i'm the better GM.

malley....he has big bust potential i think

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm numb to the Skins right now...didn't even watch the game yesterday

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 20, 2010 8:52 AM |

brown boycotts the redskins

Posted by: hessone | December 20, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

TERPS AND REDSKINS TO SQUARE OFF IN CONGENIALITY BOWL

COLLEGE PARK, MD -- In the run-up to the inaugural Military Bowl December 29 at Washington’s RFK stadium between the University of Maryland and East Carolina, bowl organizers are planning to unveil a special surprise at a press conference scheduled for 3 p.m. this afternoon at the University of Maryland.

It is rumored the UMD football program has earned the right to represent their university at a second game in the college post-season bowl series – playing in the first-ever “Miss Congeniality Bowl” on January 2 at FEDEX Field against the National Football League’s Washington Redskins.

In a strange turn of events, the Redskins suddenly found themselves with an open date on January 2 when their original opponent, the New York Giants, decided to forego the remainder of the regular season, and rest their players for the beginning of the NFL post-season play on January 8. The Giants are a virtual lock to make the post-season playoffs, despite a close loss to division rival Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, while the Washington Redskins have been eliminated from post-season playoff contention since last January, when it hired Mike Shanahan as head coach and executive vice president for football operations. And rather than risk a travel accident or insult their fans by showing up to play in such a meaningless exhibition game against the hapless Redskins –- Giants head coach Tom Coughlin decided it would be “just safer all around” to forfeit the game to the Redskins.

That left an open date for the Redskins --and a potential hole in the wallet of team-owner Dan Snyder -- who had been counting on using revenue from the game with the Giants to buy a few space heaters for the Dulles Airport aircraft hanger his team occasionally uses during poor weather, in lieu of a dedicated indoor training facility for the team.

“It just seemed the right thing to do,” explained an anonymous source inside the Redskins front office who insisted that we should not identify him as Bruce Allen.

“Here we had a team –- the Maryland Terrapins -- that just knocked itself out all year, and all just to earn a berth in a bowl game that will take place a mere 7 miles from its home campus. And for that, they fired their head coach, Ralph Friedgen, with a year left to go on his current contract.

"And then we had another team – the 5-9 Washington Redskins -- left ‘standing at the altar’ by another team that would rather forfeit than play us in another meaningless exhibition game and risk somebody getting hurt.”

The inside source continued, “So we decided to put a brave face on it and make the best of the situation -– and launch the Miss Congeniality Bowl –- as a way to recognize all of those hardworking but undistinguished players who will usually come up short and never make it to the big time.”

Posted by: Vic1 | December 20, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

By Tarik El-Bashir

Kearney (bully from The Simpsons): What's your name, sweat-stain?

Bashir (new kid): Bashir.

Kearney: Bash here? I love a kid that comes with instructions!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh - I meant to say this before:

FIRE DANNY SMITH.

His flirtations with competence are over.

I don't understand any reasoning to keeping another halmark of our failure march.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Grossman impressive? Why cause we can almost win with him, just like we can almost win with mcNabb or Campbell? We cam almost win with anyone.

33-30, 17-16. Who cares? We lost. Shanny clearly didn't want to win.

I guess beating Dallas, sweeping Dallas, staying out of the basement, pride and ethics just don't matter.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

aw, c'mon Brownie. That was a good game. I had gone to wash dishes in the 3rd 1/4 - only to have to come back and rewind the game to see the comeback.

So we lost - still showed a good game.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 20, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"Book this:

There will be an offer by either Minn or AZ.

Please, please, please don't package him with our first pick to move up in the draft.

That's classic 'Skins and we don't want/need that mess anymore.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl"

If it lands us the Vick-esque Cam, it'll be worth it..All signs point to landing a top prospect QB in the 1st..

Posted by: frak | December 20, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Newton will be long gone by time Redskins are on draft board.
Having watched Mallet at both Michigan and Arkansas, he is not mobile in--and out of--the pocket; yes, he has a strong, moderately accurate arm, but behind a porous OL he will be eaten alive. Better the Redskins improve both lines and pick up a QB in some later round.

Posted by: iliwai34 | December 20, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

mcnabb will end up a panther mentoring jimmy clausen , traded as part of a deal to move up to number one so the skins can grab Luck! The pathers then take AJ Green or Julio Jones

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

You play mcNabb and hunter punter you win, sweep the boys and stay out of the basement.

Here's to the "new culture" of being in last place, humiliating your own players, trying to lose, And treating a division game like pre-season.

Shanny wants Luck at 1, the efforts to lose will continue, and the draft day trades (our 1 and 2 + mcnabb and haynesworth for Luck)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

33-30, 17-16. Who cares? We lost. Shanny clearly didn't want to win.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:37 PM |

"We cam almost win with anyone?"

Nice Freudian slip there.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Skins can't afford to use their 1st rounder on a QB this year. Newton's not the right guy for this system anyway. Need an accurate, pro-style QB. They should trade back to get more picks. They may be able to pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder just by trading back in the first round. Use the draft (and free agency) to continue building the right personnel for the 3-4 defense and the interior offensive line. Take a chance on RB with home-run speed in the late rounds and re-sign Portis. Go with a mix of Torrain, Portis as 3rd down back, and the rook as change of pace. Start Rex at QB and stick to the run. Draft the future QB in 2012 with, hopefully, a young, effective o-line and improving defense already in place.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | December 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Grossman was impressive if for no other reason than that he showed that we don't need to pay McNabb $15M to almost win games for us when Rex can do it for $3M.

We'll be as good without McNabb as we were with him, which is to say 'Not good'.

I still say that McNabb will have decent trade value this offseason. The skins bad reputation will work in their favor this time. Other teams will say "Yeah, McNabb was pretty bad last season but hey, everyone sucks with the Redskins."

I wish McNabb nothing but the best and I'm sure he'll be much happier skipping passes to Larry Fitzgerald next year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Tarik El-Bashir is the best beat writer employed by WaPo. He was masterful covering the Capitals in the paper and the caps insider blog. If he took over Skins i'b be thrilled.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

WarKing, agreed shanny wants pick 1.

Losing was our goal yesterday

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Newton long gone when Skins pick unless they stupidly give them all away for him. I've watched Mallet both at Michigan and Arkansas; he ain't Tom Brady, much less Chad Henne; he'll never survive behind porous line. Better for Skins to bolster both lines and pick up a QB in later rounds, ala Brady, or wait and select D. Robinson when he's available.

Posted by: iliwai34 | December 20, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I still think the Skins should try to move back in the draft, picking up an extra draft pick or two in the first or second round.

Hopefully we can address QB that way and add more OL or a beast NT.

With this deep QB class some of these guys are going to fall in the draft.

There will be some good QBs available in rounds 1-4.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:48 PM |

Dude your ignorance is only outweighed by your level of retardedness.

At that point, ST hadn't done crap. What if BB didn't make the 20? When he went with the touchback he saved us 2 things, time and yardage.

Every point you made today has been foolhardy. You're ineptitude, football-wise is actually surprising.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 2:01 PM

Hello, troll.

I'll have you know that my ignorance is in fact more abundant than my retardedness. I've always been up front about how little I actually know about this stuff.

And yet this community has accepted me as a member, while you continue to do whatever the hell it is you're doing.

Thank goodness there isn't a filter to prevent the ignorant and/or mentally or emotionally challenged from posting comments on this here blog, am I right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 2:49 PM

Is JReid being benched so we can see what we have for next season?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 2:49 PM |
-----

cosign cl.

he isn't the slouch jreid is, that's for sure

Posted by: hessone | December 20, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 20, 2010 2:48 PM

Andy Reid and Shanahan both gave up on McNabb within a span of 8 months. In between, he put up his worst year and essentially got fired in-season.

Those 2 HCs are both tenured NFL coaches considered knowledgeable about QBs--that's got to suppress a 34 year old McNabb's trade value big time.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Mhaslup, I agree 100% with your strategy for improvement, and that is why I don't see it going down that way.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Despite his purported reason for being here, it seems that Paulescu didn't seem to do much in the way of hang time either.

While I'm willing to grant it might have been an optical illusion -- the punts seemed mucher lower and shorter than Hunter's.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

WarKing, agreed shanny wants pick 1.

Losing was our goal yesterday

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Seems like they were trying to win to me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

pabrian,

You can't really be saying you didn't see a marked difference between the second-half offense in this game, after Grossman settled in, and the McFabbulous performances we've been subjected to all year, can you? Granted, we didn't win largely because the special teams killed us, defensive tackling was laughable, and Grossman was understandably rusty in the first half, but Grossman was far more impressive than what we've seen from Donovan. I'm not saying Grossman will continue to play like that. If he does, though, its a pretty nasty indictment on McNabb's skills and, frankly, on his professionalism. If its so clear that he is a superior QB to Grossman and Grossman outperforms him, it must be a lack of effort.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | December 20, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 20, 2010 2:49 PM

Is JReid being benched so we can see what we have for next season?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 2:56 PM

His cardiovascular endurance is suspect...

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

yes sunday we lose to the jags by 7 or less in the last 5 mins! Skins will keep us entertained while losing out to be able to trade up!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 20, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hell no.....

Why pass on Mallet and/or Newton?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Is Newton coming out for sure? I dont think he has declared just yet. He might opt for one more year. Of course after Locker's plummet he would be wise to bail while his stock is high.

Mallet: Not sure about him, Tall and throws a nice deep ball. Is he a 1st rounder? Not sold on that, he might slip to the 2nd

Stanzi: Could be a steal in the lower rounds.
He falls to the late 2nd probably, maybe early 3rd

Ponder:
Anyone have any good reports on him? He is supposedly a 1st rounder? Will he fall as well?

Luck: I dont see us getting him, nor is it worth it by giving another high pick w/our 1st to move up for him.

For some reason Stanzi seems like a good fit. If we could grab another OL or possibly Nick Fairley, we could get a QB in Rd 2.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 20, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Some of you McNabb apologists kill me. You had quotes from from multiple players saying basically that Grossman knows this offense and it clicked yesterday.

Thus saying McNabb doesn't know the offense and it never clicked under McNabb.

McNabb and his classy professionalism didn't put the time in needed to fully grasp the offense, Period. Uncoachable by definition.

Posted by: JSchon1 | December 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

CL- cosign on El-Bashir.

Memo to those that say MS is tanking: Completely wrong. It's an added bonus that they lost but this isn't the NBA.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 2:55 PM

Idk...I'm thinking they are perfecting that filter...the number of hessone's posts have been dwindling lately.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 2:55 PM |

So you're agreeing with me.

Got it.

As you were.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

you left out that Shanny fully believed he was a franchise QB with good years left.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy...Not Grossman but the team almost beat the cowpies. Players stepped up their games to make Grossman appear better than he is. So he threw two picks and had a fumble...he should have had more picks and he looked like I thought he would.
When assessing the team, Grossman did not make the team better all by himself, give credit to the other players and their contributions…That’s the real story.

Posted by: stu_pid | December 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Your right and don’t forget the cowpies were up by three td’s and playing prevent.

Posted by: stu_pid | December 20, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

33-30, 17-16. Who cares? We lost. Shanny clearly didn't want to win.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010

Forgive me all.....But Pabrian is right. Why are we so quick to rave about Rex's game yesterday. Last I checked, he did have 3 TOs and threw the int to end the game. DM and JC would have been blasted all day for doing that.

Was it because Rex didn't stink as bad as we thought? A loss is a loss......

Posted by: dcwun | December 20, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

This guys got dallas stink on him anyway. Bring on the next one.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 20, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stu_pid | December 20, 2010 3:03 PM |

You're right, Torrain, Moss and Cooley all threw those scores to themselves. Two for two on 2-point conversions was just the Cowfaggs keeping it interesting.

Maybe you didn't get your share of skipped passes or phantom slips behind the LOS.

No one here is lobbying for Rexy to be the future starter but it was a nice outing and 4TD's are 4TD's Stupid McDooshy.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@dcwun

The Redskins were 4 for 4 in TD's in the redzone. 2 for 2 on 2 pointers. He dropped 322. The 1st interception could've been blamed on Sellers for not recognizing the blitz. The 2nd interception was more due to the time left on the clock as the Redskins had to go to the sideline.

And you know what? It was Grossman's first start in over 2 years!

Posted by: JSchon1 | December 20, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | December 20, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Stanzi. I'm a penn state fan so I've seen him play a good bit. He never struck me as anything more than a backup in the pros. He just doesn't seem to learn quick enough and until this year didn't even look competent. I like Ponder a lot more. He seems to be able to think a lot quicker and learn quicker. I think he's more accurate than Stanzi. Ponder is my choice. The only concern I have with him is injuries.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 20, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

BTW, this isnt McNabb v. Grossman, we can all agree that neither one is the future of this team. This is about Kyle Shanahan's offense and schemes. Yesterday proved that this offense is very capable v. NFL defenses, if witnessing Schaub and the Texans offense last year wasn't enough.

Grossman, a backup QB, made this offense look pretty darn good yesterday.

Posted by: JSchon1 | December 20, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

And you know what? It was Grossman's first start in over 2 years!

Posted by: JSchon1 | December 20, 2010

And we still loss. The Cowgirls defense is only a hair better than ours. The 2nd int was due to a weak arm and his inability to throw a 18-20 yard out.

He far exceeded the expectations of most and I'll give him credit for a decent game however, he's the same turnover machine he's always been.

Posted by: dcwun | December 20, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JSchon1 | December 20, 2010

I'll agree with that. I never wanted DM from the start and preferred to keep JC. I did feel that McNabb gave us the best chance to win.

Posted by: dcwun | December 20, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | December 20, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

You think that was bad just wait until we play a defense with a legitimate pass rush like the Giants.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 20, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@dcwun

The 2nd INT was a read pass, he couldn't bullet the ball in there, it had to finessed over the corner to land inbounds for Cooley to catch. Bad pass for sure, needed more air, but he made the right read.

Posted by: JSchon1 | December 20, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | December 20, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 20, 2010 3:31 PM |

Now they're being forced to admit the guy exceeded any expectations despite the loss of the game.

Now here we go with the "yeah, well just wait 'til next week" crap.

Dude, at this point, I want to see effort from those that we're looking to keep for next year. A win would be great but it's not #1 on my list of priorities.

That said, I expect a "nothing to lose" effort vs the G-Spots as the pressure is now on them after folding like a tent yesterday.

'Rak might kill someone.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

'The haters were all laughing about Rex coming in to this past game predicting multiple pick-6's, sacks and fumbles.'

Fhucktardery in it's purest form:

Did Grossman NOT throw TWO interceptions (Who cares if it was pick-6 or not? Still was accountable for THREE turnovers, fhuck face)?

Was he NOT sacked FIVE times?

Did he not have ONE fumble LOST?

God, you spend your time up here beating your punk ass chest about how your so superior over every one but can't even read a fhucking box score, you dumbass.

Here is a piece of advice: Shut your fhucking suckhole. You don't know what the hell you're talking about 90% of the time, dick breath.

You can step the fhuck off now, NPI. Go tug it to pictures of Favre's junk or self pleasure yourself to the image of Cam Newton's smile since you like to gush over that so much lately, fago.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 20, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I will never understand Redskins fans wringing their hands over how McNabb has been "treated". Everybody wanted it to work. It didn't. The mistake was made on Easter Sunday, not when they decided it was time to move on. If he were still in Philly...Reid would've benched him by now and THAT organization really would have to fret over how they handled him because he was a long time Beagle and they may owe him a little consideration. The Redskins? They don't owe him squat except what he is owed contractually. If he feels humiliated...I guess the Philly years didn't toughen him up as much as he is always whining that they did.
Face it. Andy Reid fleeced us. He dumped his washed up and difficult QB on a division rival, avoided all of this handling of the hyper-sensitive McNabb's (and his apologist fans') feelings, and got two nice picks in the process. If you didn't already football-hate Reid and the Beagles...you should now.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 20, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse