Haynesworth Absent for Start of Practice

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was not on the practice field when Sunday's session opened. We will update when we have more information, likely after practice. Haynesworth was at Redskins Park Sunday.

Kick returner/running back Rock Cartwright (groin) was back at practice after missing Friday's preseason game, but cornerback Carlos Rogers (calf) and running back Clinton Portis (bruised knee) also sat out.

By Gene Wang  |  August 30, 2009; 1:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fincher Among Five Players Cut
Next: Here's What Happened/Here's What I Think

Comments

Hey wang quit takin pictures c'mon its a parkin lot, lets go.

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 30, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

He was still on the phone with 1-800-flowers...sending a nice bouquet to Brady, re: his boo-boo.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 30, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

He was busy watching replays of teh Brady crunch.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Defensive Line:

Carter, Haynesworth, Griffin, Daniels
Jarmon, Golston, Montgomery, Alexander

So that leaves Wynn, Jackson, & Buzbee

I say they keep 9 and Wynn & Buzbee get cut.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure another LB is going to have to get cut.

1 Orakpo
2 Fletcher
3 McIntosh
4 Blades
5 Thomas
6 Wilson
7 Glenn
8 Henson

Maybe one of the rookies ends up on the Practice Squad

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 1:52 PM

We must both agree that among your list, Nos. 1 thru 6 must be excluded. and that leaves Cody Glenn and Robert Henson. First, Cody Glenn, 6'0'' 244lbs was drafted 5th round no 22 and 158 overall in 2009 and Robert Henson,6'0'' 242lbs was drafted 6th round 186th overall.
They both are almost evenly matched, but Cody Glenn was a star running back before converting to linebacker, which may give him a tiny little edge; however,Henson is a natural athlete with great agility and speed (4.61) which may be very useful on on special team. So, who would you cut?

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 2:21 PM

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

what about j.d schlotzky whatever his name is?

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

abxinc,

I think Danny Smith makes the call, whichever rookie LB he wants on Teams makes the 53 man roster and the other goes to the Practice Squad.

But since these guys were both draft picks, there may be another team that picks him up, if they feel they can get draft pick value without actually using a pick.

Thus the Skins would waste a pick and someone else would get one for free.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Okay, still watching the game. On the fumble recovered by Westbrook in the 4th, the ball was sitting on the ground between Buzbee's legs and he didn't even know that it was there. I say Buzbee gets the axe.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 2:30 PM

That is some crazy paranoid logic right there. Let's me see if I get this right. You are saying that the Skins will be the only team to cut someone from this past draft and are the only team that would have wasted a pick?

Posted by: Skins930 | August 30, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Patience guys. Jason La Canfora can predict all he wants. The season starts soon, we will all find out who the looser in NFC East is, assuming the New England's game is a prelude to what is to come, the Skins should do great this season.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Did you not see our defense get thrown on at will? I have concerns. Nine wins max! (I hope I'm wrong)

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | August 30, 2009 2:30 PM

Very very true, but look who is throwing. How many Tom Brady(s) would we face this season? Look, if the game were a regular season's game, the Redskins would have won, why? Because Tom Brady was already knocked out by Albert Haynesworth. Even if Brady continued, he wouldn't be that effective or, at the least, he will be playing scared of the monster the middle through out the rest of the game. Hayneswoth had just began to wear out the interior of the New England's offensive line when the first team game ended.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Running backs:
Portis
Betts
Cartwright
Mason
Dorsey
Aldridge

Obviously Portis and Betts make it. I think Cartwright is probably gone. Just a hunch I have. I think Mason makes it over Aldridge (because he's been in the system longer). Yes Aldridge may have the speed edge, but you're basically talking about a 3rd stringer and I think knowledge of the system is more important since he won't get too many reps in practice. I'm undecided on Dorsey. We could use him as a returner, but whom do you cut to keep a 4th RB?

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Skins930,

No, I am just saying that I hate to see draft picks get wasted.

It either means the scouting department blew it, or they added too many players at the same position, and likely missed an opportunity to get somebody at another position.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

To keep a 4th RB, you could cut Yoder and keep only 2 TEs, or cut FB Eddie Williams and keep just one FB.

You could also keep only 6 LBs and have 24 on Defense so you could keep an extra RB.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Running backs:
Portis
Betts
Cartwright
Mason
Dorsey
Aldridge

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 2:46 PM

I'm not so sure Betts and Cartwright will make it. Well, just my personal opinion. Betts and Cartwright are both older than Portis, so why keep two old palyers when Mason, Aldridge and Dorsey are much younger.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Keeping younger RB's is a relatively safe move IMO. They are the easiest position to fill historically, and younger is ususally better than older. Quicker and faster are definitely better traats, that's why I say bye bye Betts and Rock, hello, Mason, Aldridge, Dorsey. Pick your two.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Cuz if your starter goes down, you're gonna need a saavy veteran. And besides, Zorn and Smith have both said that they have big plans for Betts this year. They've both been quite honest with their comments so I'll take them at their word.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

And by saavy veteran, I mean someone that can keep the pressure off of Campbell, when a blitzer gets through. I'm not so sure that Zorn would totally trust Aldridge, Dorsey, and Mason in that capacity. That's why I say Betts stays.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

We must have dumped the right five guys because PFT didn't criticize the 'skins. This is where we miss Jasno. He could have explained how two of them are likely to be future HOFers, based on calls to "League Sources", ie, the guys' agents.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 2:52 PM

I'll second that. I think except for the top 2-3 backs in the league, they are becoming interchangeable/expendable in a pass first league. I say let the de-Gibbsing continue.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 2:56 P

Well, even if promises has been made to Betts, I still don't see the team keeping two 30 year old running backs. Portis is still 27yrs old , will turn 28 Sept 1st.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse