Haynesworth Expects to Play Saturday

Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth expects to play Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field.

"I'd like to," Haynesworth said. "I like to get in three games [in the preseason]. I like to be at full speed when the season starts, so three games is good for me."

Haynesworth sat out the Redskins' preseason opener last week, a 23-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

Haynesworth told me he could have played, but Coach Jim Zorn exercised caution because Haynesworth has experienced minor knee soreness during camp and recently received an injection in his knee.

"I feel fine," Haynesworth said. "I'm ready to play."

By Jason Reid  |  August 17, 2009; 12:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alridge Plans to Practice Tuesday
Next: Orakpo Continues to Impress Coaches

Comments

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | August 17, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

First?

Posted by: 44Diesel | August 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Who care's if you're 1st !!!!!!!!!! I'm 2,3,4 or 5th

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I feel fine," Haynesworth said. "I'm ready to play

You better be "FAT BOY" 40 mil is alot of money.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

FJZ your just a wannabe

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | August 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should be out there!! Zorn and company need to stop babying these guys

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

FJZ your just a wannabe

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | August 17, 2009 12:27 PM

Don't hate the player "HATE" the game. I think you're mad because I ended up second ! LOL

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should be out there!! Zorn and company need to stop babying these guys

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:30 PM

Who cares what you think ! Danny boy doesn't nor do I.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Haynesworth,
I humbly bessech you to totally annihilate a certain Mr. Rothliesberger on Saturday night. It would be very nice if you could remove his helmet with head in it and toss it into the stands.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Fire JZ whats your reasoning behind letting coach Z go not that I am disagreeing with you just like to know what your stance is?

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the young receivers start with the first team this week Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | August 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say with Vick going to the Eagles I cringe at the thought of seeing them this year...

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

love to see Marko in there we already know what Randle Els got...

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Typically I'm more critical than anyone on here of the Skins and they have done everything to deserve it. What I don't get though is the sudden shock and overreaction everyone is having after one preseason game.

My reactions to the game:

JC looked mediocre - no surprise, he is mediocre

Offense was unproductive, no big plays, no points - no surprise, our offense is plodding and requires long sustained drives to score, our only explosive weapon (moss) was on the bench and our only consistent weapon (portis) was sitting next to him and we were playing a good to great defense.

Defense was bad - it really was just after the starters left that the defense gave up the most yardage and points, but without haynseworth and rogers its not surprising we weren't our normal selves.

ONLY RED FLAG from the game was how bad Tryon looked. Barnes is a rookie, he's going to make mistakes learning coverages, he thought he had safety help, he didn't and he bit on the pump fake, no big deal there. Tryon though has played an entire season in the pros, trained an entire offseason with Darrell Green and was supposed to have made all these great strides/improvements and blah blah blah, he's still small, he still can't cover a slant route and apparently everyone knows it cause every time he's in the game the other team goes right at him. However, another corner can be found if we need it, he has a couple more games to show he's improved or IMHO he's gone they bring in a vet corner to be #4 and Barnes is the #5 guy cause barnes being a 3rd round pick is on the team no matter what.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the skins should offer Andre Carter for an Offensive Tackle and more???

... and Andre Carter is worth a lot more to another team, ...

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 17, 2009 12:07 PM

Andre Carter has one of those untradeable contracts that another team would not want to pick up. He got the same package as Blloyd, Archuleta, and ARE.

I like the way you're thinking though ... among the top prospects of up and coming RI amateur GMs. [Also, the depth of Skins DE is going to shrink way back down with the final cuts ... and that's when the Jets will make a move ... also, Skins likely will pick up another OT that afternoon of the cut day to get to 53 ... trying to find the former starter who gets cut b/c he gets replaced but otherwise was too expensive to keep ... that guy becomes UFA ... the post-53 roster cut Jansen equivalent.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Let Moss and ARE rest, lets see what the young kids can do, its only pre season.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | August 17, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Justin Tryon IMHO had by far the worst performance out there absolutely pathetic

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Watching the game Thursday all you had to do was find number 20 on the field to see where the pass play was headed

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

zJack, I don't know about red flag, but as of last Thursday night, Smoot's job at nickel corner is safe.

[I save red flags for starters ... but it is a fair point that nickel corners and nickel safeties should be considered the 1.5th string rather than second string ... like #3 receivers.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sween, point taken, but I think the #4 corner is a pretty important spot in today's nfl. Most every team plays 3 and four receivers so we'll be playing 3 corners a lot and Smoot has a tendency to get hurt when he sees a lot of action. If Tryon shows he can't cover a teams 7th and 8th receivers on the depth chart for the rest of the preseason I think he's gone cause they need somebody that is at least reliable at #4.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully they'll spell his name right on the jersey.

Posted by: 44Diesel | August 17, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why Smoot's job was in jeopardy to begin with. Unless you get lucky and sign a former pro-bowler in his prime to a vet min contract mid-season, you're not going to have 3 shutdown corners on your roster. Smoot is, has been, and will be more than fine as a nickel corner. Tryon was facing Mt. Everest in his quest to win that spot this year (given his performance last season).

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I never said or thought Smoot's job was in jeopardy. But he is injury prone and we need something on the roster that can cover a 6 yard slant behind him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 ,Posted by: dcsween

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh the irony:

"Neither one of you have the proper credentials to analyze a NFL player. Leave that up to the coaches and the experts, both of are just to old men with opinions.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 17, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 12:41 PM |

Time to change your handle to BenchTryon?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 ,Posted by: dcsween

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

lol, the irony of that statement coming from a poster with the handle of FIREJIMZORN is funny.

And it doesn't take being a coach or expert to see that Tryon gets beat like he stole something every time he steps on the field.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Not to expose my amateur GM tendencies, but what's the rule of thumb for fantasy footbal draft order by position? Who typically racks up more points, QB or RB?

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:56 PM

Well, you're half right which puts you ahead of most of us up here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Tryon gets beat like he stole something every time he steps on the field.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 1:00 PM

Out of order. The proper cliche is "beat like a rented mule."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, by "amateur GM", I meant "old man opinions."

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

From Peter King:
"Kicker Brandon Coutu is nine-for-nine in two preseasons with Seattle, but probably won't make the team because Olindo Mare is five yards stronger on kickoffs. Coutu drills 'em. He should find a home when cuts are made."

D.C.??

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"FIREFIREJIMZORN," grumbles the uncredentialed, opinionated old man.

cl, agreed, now I have to get back to my ironying.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

35th!!!!

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 17, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:03 PM

The big hair is a sign of wisdom ... talk about uncredentialed, opinionated old mean ... how old do you think Kiper is? You think he keeps the "Jr." to make him look younger? ["Do this big hair make me look fat?"]

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"FIREFIREJIMZORN," grumbles the uncredentialed, opinionated old man.

cl, agreed, now I have to get back to my ironying.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:04 PM

Just the response we all expected from a grumpy old man who's not taking his medicine.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Pay the position, not the player!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:03 PM

No. It's simpler than that. "Show me the money. You gotta pay or I ain't gonna play."

It's a stare down. Like the Nats and Strasburg. Crabtree will be signed. Not so sure about Strasburg, though.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

For those interested in the human knee, a topic of periodic interest around here...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I feel fine," Haynesworth said. "I'm ready to play

You better be "FAT BOY" 40 mil is alot of money.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I second this.... anytime I have to be in on time FOR A FEW GRAND, and get fired if I'm not.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 17, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Pay the position, not the player!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 1:09 PM

Pay the Shuttle, not the Dik.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Redskins linebackers are slow, does anyone see this besides me. This could be a problem considering the running attacks the NFC East puts on the field every sunday.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 17, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Haynesworth,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

LMAO... GO Skins.... Isn't this what he gets paid for???????

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse
*************************
Who is that dude in the 3rd picture all the way on the right?

Posted by: rickmort | August 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I love how people think haynesworth is a godsend. Check out what he had to say in comcasts coverage.

Posted by: nattylite88 | August 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

LMAO... this is soooo funny

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 17, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"PK, also mentioned the Michael Crabtree holdout. Basically his agents are demanding nothing less than Heyward-Bey's contract. Gotta love these scheisty slimy agents. I wonder what their argument is at the negotiating table: "Mel Kiper Jr. thinks our client should have been selected higher!!"Posted by: p1funk"

The Heyward-Bey contract is hard to fathom -- it was apparently way out of line for a #7 WR, although I don't know how these lines are set. Crabtree and Maclin were allegedly supposed to go higher, but that left out the Al Davis factor -- he goes deep every time.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 17, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

One of my post-game comments after the Ravens outing was that we appear to have a glaring weakness in our D when our linebackers are forced to cover guys.

Fletch is a tough-as-nails tackling machine, but he's old(er) and I don't think speed increases with age.

As nice as Orakpo looks rushing the passer, he's basically learning the LB position and has mentioned he needs to get better covering guys in space.

Rocky Mac can run OK...when he's not standing on the sideline b/c his degenrative knee condition is bothering him...

It will be interesting to watch how it plays out. I can see teams scheming to exploit middle/underneath routes; but if we work in the Cobra formation with 2 strong safeties underneath we could police that area better for pass coverage.

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

How is that FUNNY??!! I just want to cry.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

he goes deep every time.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 1:22 PM Report abuse

There are too many witty retorts to mention.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

60% of the time he goes deep, every time!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I can see teams scheming to exploit middle/underneath routes;

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Your right! This area of protection is more vulnerable than the run, and like you said, as good as Orakpo is, I just can see him bolstering this effort. This is going to kill us this season, we just don't have the speed here.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I love how people think haynesworth is a godsend.

Posted by: nattylite88 | August 17, 2009 1:21 PM

Dude, Joe Gibbs was a godsend. We're hoping for a Satan send at DT.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 1:08 PM

Oh, I'm keeping up with my meds, its just that I'm in the Medicaid D doughnut hole that's making me so grumpy.

Also, I agree that we are as thin or thinner at LB than we are on the O-line, even after spending a couple of draft picks and picking up a former starter at the position in the offseason. Henson looked fired up, but not so much from Cody Glenn or Robert Johnson (is that his name, the guy from the Raiders?). Blades had some very unflattering whiffs on tackles, which kind of surprised me too. Fincher and Wilson each earned a chance to continue competing for the roster (but because both are undrafted, that means they're probably doomed ... Wilson was undrafted, right?).

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Man, you are guys are overreacting.

Tryon didn't look great, but his deficiency was in confidence not in skill. Blache left his guys on islands and Tryon was scared poopless of getting beat deep so he gave wayyy too much cushion.

When he didn't, he looked good and showed some good reaction (see the TD breakup by Hall where Tryon came off his man to give the receiver a good shot).

Tryon will be fine. Smoot is the one who needs to watch his back. They aren't playing him at FS just for poops and guffaws, they're trying to see if they can justify him being on the roster as a 4th CB by seeing if he can play backup safety as well.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | August 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I've got say, I'm a big fan of the contribution FIREJIMZORN is making to the blog. His wisdom, football knowledge and, most importantly, his rapier wit all make for some very entertaining reading! Keep it up FIREJIMZORN! And know this: when you eventually do have to return to your full time gig of cleaning out dirty vaginas, you will be missed!

Posted by: mack1 | August 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Who is that dude in the 3rd picture all the way on the right?

Posted by: rickmort | August 17, 2009 1:18 PM

Nice (though cL had the one of the day on soft v. suck).

I've sensed for a while now that a syringe full of stem cells should clear up any problems that RockyMac or Malcolm Kelly might have. That and rubbing a little dirt on it.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I would change my handle to BenchTryon but his stake in our success/failure is much less important.

Best offseason moves...

Orakpo dude is going to be a beast at DE they need to let him play his position and stop the whole LB experiment.

Cutting Jon Jansen he was finished it was a gutsy move given the cap hit but had to be done.

Cutting James Thrash and subsequently giving him a job with the organization. It is a win/win Thrash was a consummate professional however his hard work and love of the guy wasnt translating on the field.

Signing Jeremy Jarmon this kid has great quickness and ability think he might turn out to be a steal for a 3rd rounder.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

good question, but a bit off in its nature. QBs score a bit more in many leagues ... but ... you play only 1 QB a game and play multiple RBs.

There are 32 starting QBs and 32 starting RBs, but a typical FF game day for a 16 team league will have 16 QBs and 40+ RBs. So people draft RBs first, to make sure they have starters.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Best offseason moves...

Cutting James Thrash and subsequently giving him a job with the organization. It is a win/win Thrash was a consummate professional however his hard work and love of the game wasnt translating on the field.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

mack1, on that cleaning out term, I think we can leave the NFC East team in New York out of this discussion. This is family blog.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Robert Thomas is dude from Raiders, don't know what to make of him.

Fincher got beat bad on a pass play against Ravens (I think).

Blades is a nice plug-in back up, but he's smallish and I remember him getting abused by Kevin Boss in pass coverage against Gints last year.

Wilson is a converted DE, so I doubt pass coverage is really going to be his strong point.

The other rooks I'm expecting to see on special teams - if at all.

All in all, I think the LB corps will be solid for tackling ball-carriers and getting to the QB, but pass coverage will be a different story...

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I just want to say one thing.....

I am on the Fence with Campbell.. Here is some thing to think about for all you Campbell supporters that say, he need 2 years in the same system...

Last Year the Jet's trade for Chad Pennington during training camp and go 11-5

Cassell never played a game and went 10-6

Matt Ryan, Flacco rookies 11-5

Farve joined the Jets with a month to prepare and goes 10-6

Proves you don't need 2 years to make plays

Skip to this year in preseason

Mark Sanchez, Troy Smith, Flacco, Quinn, Leftwich, Leinart, Stafford.. . Do I need to go on....

All looked better and even yet, more confortable that Campbell IMO.

Maybe JC has Patrick Ramsey syndrome.. I don't know but as a casual viewer and avid fan for 30 years I just don't see JC having IT or even being in the top 50% of QB's this year...

WE have a lot of talent and ever year that goes by our stars are getting older.. Portis, Moss etc..

I just don't see anything better than 8-8 with JC period.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth Expects to Play Saturday..."

Nothing like taking the brand new $48 million dollar car out of the garage for a spin.

Hopefully, the stillers will feature their running game to make sure Big "I Did Not Rape That Young Woman" Ben doesn't take any hits, so Albert should get a nice workout.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Man, you are guys are overreacting.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | August 17, 2009 1:33 PM

You've been posting up here too long to call this "overreacting." This is normal back and forth.

Overreacting was the guy during the game who wanted to cut Rodgers. Rodgers wasn't playing, Barnes gave up a TD, and dude wanted to cut Rodgers. Maybe Rogers should be cut, but not because Barnes missed an assignment.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I can see teams scheming to exploit middle/underneath routes;

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I see this too, but not just against the Skins, but on every team in the league. I don't know why, but it always seemed like this is a soft open spot in most games I watched last season. This is where Cooley tears it up for yardage. Its a matter of making sure the MLB is distracted. The YAC for passes completed here is huge, doesn't matter what team. It takes a ballsy pass catcher (TE, WR, or RB) to turn his eyes to the QB to make this catch though b/c the first hit is coming hard. This open patch of the field was the only reason I could guess that the Skins (in Zorn's first draft) thought they could add another receiving TE to the mix. Also the reason why I think that, ultimately, Malcolm Kelly makes more sense as the #2 receiver given his skill set.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

slimbo-rice

"All looked better and even yet, more confortable that Campbell..."

You get points for honesty.

Campbell would do well to 'light it up' against the stillers--or somebody other than teammates soon.

Otherwise, we'll have to start putting wheels on the "Bench Campbell" bandwagon--you know, the same one we painted "Bench Brunell" a few years ago.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Campbell had an 84 QB rating, eli and 86 QB rating. Eli played behind the best OL in football. mcnabb had an 86 rating. The Skins jints and iggles played similar schedules -- including the Ravens and Steelers. The Skins jints, iggles, Ravens and Steelers were the top 5 defenses in football.

How Campbell is that different from other QBs in the division? The biggest difference I see is in the OL's -- not in the QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | August 17, 2009 1:35 PM

Your statement to me has to be one of the most racist things I have ever heard. What's a full time GIG ? The government owes me 250 years of pay for slavery. Bringing up racial issues in this bog is unnecessary. Don't do it again. I was compelled to respond to your ignorance. You remind me of the guy who went all loony tune in the museum downtown.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

You know who's thin at LB? Our OL, if Bettis can get Colt motivited to spilt the uprights then the flag will be picked up and no timeout charged....

Its the exact science Snyder uses to make his moves.

Posted by: murphyz | August 17, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

pfunk, I remember Fincher getting burned, but it was because he turned the wrong way. Otherwise, he looked OK in coverage in the flat. Seemed like the Ravens were picking on him like they picked on Tryon, but with different results. I think that's why I noticed Fincher more anyway.

The whiffs by Blades were both in up-the-gut run stopping (like your memory about Brandon Jacobs ... though what Jacobs did to Landry should not be forgotten). Maybe this is one of those "things to work on" on LB coach's list for Blades.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see anything better than 8-8 with JC period.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 17, 2009 1:39 PM

_________________________________________

Slimbo, you make some good points and I am sure the front office feels the same way - hence their attempts to get a qb during the offseason.

However, Jim Zorn would argue Hasselbeck needed a few years to become a probowler...

No matter the case, we are stuck with him and he is our best option this year. If he plays "balls out" and has a decent year then great... If he is mediocre once again then expect the FO to make some moves and potentially ignore the oline once again haha..

HAIL

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

This is exactly what I was talking about FIREJIMZORN! I call you a d-bag, you call me a racist. Kudos sir. You're amazing!

Posted by: mack1 | August 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Serious problems face the Redskins in short order... We are all aware that our team is "aging" lets take a closer look

starting lineup...

QB Jason Campbell the lynch pin of the operation. Granted Campbell is 28 I think we can all agree it would take a miracle for us to win the Super Bowl this year making the playoffs is a more attainable goal. Campbell will be 29 going in to next season and if it doesnt happen for him this season he may not start in this league again... Consider this Tom Brady won 3 Super Bowls before age 30.. 2 for Big Ben and one for Eli

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

FIREJIMZORN is an agist.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

My other point is this...

People on the local radio stations etc were talking about high points in last weeks game.. Malcom Kelly's catch was hammered home...

ARE you kidding me!! The guy is a NFL WR.. Getting paid to catch the ball and people are all ga ga over it!! I love the skins but maybe it is Zorn and he is too soft but if the standards are.. Well, a second round WR caught a ball and we should be head over heels then we are worse than the Lions..

There seems to be no accountability here PERIOD. IF Cowher was here... What do you think he would have sad/done after that game.... Say, we were soft.. in a soft voice?? HELL NO..

Did you hear Zorn on Fred Davis?? "We ran that play 100 times in practice and he never drop 1 ball"

Well, practices don't count!!!!! Get mad Zorn!!! Hold people accountable!!! Jesus these guys are PAID and supposedly PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES!!!!

This is a discrace to DC and the NFL.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 17, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:00 PM

In Nate's league, I believe special emphasis is placed on kicker, tight end, and defense, especially if 'Team HamStweengs' is drafting immediately before 'Team NOT'

Posted by: 4-12 | August 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The goverment owes me undercutting me on my salary. I've been shot at, hit with rocks, spit on and have floated around in a metal box for 7 months in the North Arabian sea for only $12K a year. Pretty sweet deal right! If only I was 6'5" 250...

Posted by: murphyz | August 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If the goverment is finally giving out reparations I want some for them undercutting me on my salary. I've been shot at, hit with rocks, spit on and have floated around in a metal box for 7 months in the North Arabian sea for only $12K a year. Pretty sweet deal right! If only I was 6'5" 250...

Posted by: murphyz | August 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

He's busy working on a reply dcsween. Can't wait to read it. It's taking a while so you know it's going to be good. I hope he doesn't skimp on the all caps tirade!

Posted by: mack1 | August 17, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

On the name calling, in fairness, given my comments about Mel Kiper, Jr. above, I think I probably am a hairist.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse
_______________

Dude, you simply must get over yourself, and learn what racism actually is while you're at it. And BTW, the government doesn't owe you, in particular, anything for something that happened over 200 years ago (in my opinion).

On an actual football related note, check out what John Clayton had to say about Orakpo:

Q: Do you think Green Bay was wise taking B.J. Raji over Brian Orakpo in the 2009 draft? Orakpo is a DE/LB and I hear that they are just going to move Raji to the DE, even though he is a DT. Do you think that Orakpo would have been the smarter choice looking at what position needed to be filled?

From Chris in Gahanna, OH

A: What a great question. From what I see of Orakpo, he has a chance to be a 10-sack star. Players like him are hard to find. But if you are switching to the 3-4, you have to find big defensive linemen. Raji is good enough to be a 3-4 end, but if needed, he can be Ryan Pickett's replacement at nose tackle in the next couple of years. The fact that the Packers drafted Clay Matthews covered the outside linebacker question, but, wow, I'm thinking Orakpo could be a star.

John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Site is:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4404222

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 17, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Last Year the Jet's trade for Chad Pennington during training camp and go 11-5

Cassell never played a game and went 10-6

Matt Ryan, Flacco rookies 11-5

Farve joined the Jets with a month to prepare and goes 10-6

Proves you don't need 2 years to make plays

Skip to this year in preseason

I just don't see anything better than 8-8 with JC period.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Here's something to think about for all you Campbell naysayers.

Imagine you take a job, and every year for the next 5 years you get a different boss with a different business strategy/philosophy and different expectations.

5 years into your career, the CEO of the company wants you to give account for your inconsistent and average work performance -what do you say?

Every talking head ex-QB or ex-coach says the same thing when it comes to QB play: you need to develop a QB for at least 3 years in a system before you can give them a fair evaluation. Period.

Every now and then some guys comes along and catches lightning in a bottle - they are the exception and not the norm.

Matt Cassell had been in the Pats organization for 3 years learning the same offense behind Brady with the same cluster of offensive coaches before last year.

Flacco's numbers last year weren't better than JC's. In fact Flacco was average. Ravens were carried by the defense and the running game - same can be said for Big Ben @ Pittsburgh and Kerry Collins @ Titans.

Chad Pennington was a Parcells draft pick and played under Miami's offensive coordinator Dan Henning when he was a rookie with the Jets - basically, he already had experience/exposure to the offense Miami was running.

Matt Ryan looks like one of those talents that just gets it right off the bat.

Brett Favre is one of the greatest NFL QBs ever. An exception.

I won't even bother dealing with your preseason impressions so far because I honestly doubt you even watched all of those preseason performances - not that they matter much anyway.

JC17 is obviously not the kind of guy who is going to come in and light it up immediately, but neither did Drew Brees or Eli Manning or Steve McNair (when he played) or Matt Hasselbeck or even Jay Cutler.

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis RB "Workout Warrior"

At 28 years of age going in to this season you can probably tack on a year or so given the number of carries this guy gets since we have no viable #2 option... (and yes I know Betts rushed for 1,000 yards once) In Zorn 10 page extremely conservative playbook Portis will again be the workhorse. We saw it at the end of last year his play in the second half of the season slipped blame this on him or the O Line point is since the O Line isnt any better he is going to take a beating. My point since IMHO this isnt a Super Bowl year we are looking at Portis another year older how much longer can he really have??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Huh? who's a whatzit?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify, because the Steelers game isn't until SATURDAY and because of the Tweet-free media coverage, do we really have to keep up this blither blather for FIVE more days?

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | August 17, 2009 1:35 PM |

I saw Ford commercial recent and there was some doofus say "Hi, Mike here to tell you about great deal Ford has". I ask who this Mike doofus and said that he host of Dirtiest Job" cable show. Is cleaning out dirty vaginas one of them?

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhh....but he remains medium.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What do you use to clean out dirty vajayjays? A womb-broom?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan713, on that Clayton bit about Orakpo, I read somewhere else (Kirwan on SI.com?) where they were comparing Orakpo to the second coming of DeMarcus Ware. That sort of idle banter ... that just downright excites me in ways I didn't know I could be excited. [Note to cutter/paster/porner/commenters: I know what I just said, I re-read it for the sake of Jack's kids, and I'm sticking to it.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's a look at the 6 pass attempts Campbell had this past Thursday. Based on this analysis you'll notice that Campbell rushed some of his reads. Could be he's trying to pick the pace up on his decision making. Could be that he wasn't confident in the OL ability to pass protect even though it was decent. Could be a combination of both. Also note that none of the pass plays were designed to go deep. Let's hope JZ will indulge us with a couple of these plays this weekend.

First Possession

1st-and-10, WAS 15

Ravens put four on the LOS. Redskins OL holds firm—no penetration. Campbell takes a 3-step drop, looks far right at Devin Thomas on a slant, short middle at Fred Davis, short middle left at Chris Cooley, then finally to Ladell Betts in the left flat.

Four options. The OL is doing its job. Campbell might have chosen to go to Cooley at the first down marker (with a LB about a yard off left shoulder), but he chooses Betts instead, alone in the left flat with blockers. Campbell’s throw is on target as he leads Betts up field for 11 yards (-2 catch, 13 RAC).

Campbell and OL both solid.

2nd-and-9, WAS 27

Ravens put four on the LOS. Redskins OL holds firm—no penetration. Campbell takes a five-step drop (play-action fake to Betts), then looks right side toward Thomas and Cooley. Thomas runs a skinny post, crossing with Cooley as he breaks toward the sideline. Campbell delivers on rhythm to Cooley for 11 (9 catch, 2 RAC).

Campbell and OL both solid.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I understand that the way you make guys pay for working the underneath routes is to clobber them, but when the LBs are getting burned so bad that the guys run free and can't even get hit on them, that's a problem.

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Trivia Time: Watching Tryon the other night reminded me of this quote: "I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose."

Who knows the source?

Posted by: drfunknsoul | August 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

1st-and-10, WAS 38

Ravens put four on the LOS. Campbell takes a threestep drop, turns and throws immediately toward Thomas, who is five yards upfield on the left numbers. A LB is moving to cover Betts in the flat and crosses between Campbell and Thomas. Campbell appears to see him just as he’s releasing the ball and pulls the string a little. The ball sails high and skips off Thomas’ fingertips incomplete.

There was no apparent reason to rush throw given the protection—Campbell’s better option would have been Randle El, uncovered at the first down marker out of the left slot. Campbell dropped, turned and threw without any hesitation or seeming to find Thomas first; clearly throwing to a spot. Unless he was directed to throw that pass regardless of coverage, it’s a poor decision given the time to throw, the rushed and/or forced pass and missed opportunity for the likely first down attempt to ARE.

OL solid; Campbell questionable.

3rd-and-6, WAS 42

Ravens put four on the LOS. Campbell in shotgun, takes a 3-step drop. OL holds the DL, Samuels rides the RDE wide. Campbell looks right side to Cooley at first down marker, just coming out of his break. He starts to throw, then pulls it down. Cooley breaks open as Campbell steps up into pocket and looks away to the middle of the field.

Ray Lewis closes, Betts lets him go, sliding in behind him into the open middle to provide an outlet. As Lewis gets to him, Campbell throws at the last instant, without stepping in (can't), going deep sideline to a wide-open Marques Hagans at the Ravens 28. Hagans leaps but the ball is inches high and off his fingertips.

Campbell may have given up on Cooley too soon. The OL provided enough time to allow him to give Cooley the extra half-second necessary to finish his break, and Cooley was open at the first down marker. If Campbell had connected with Hagans—and it was close—it would have been a good play, potentially a big one if the uncovered Hagans had been able to say in bounds.

However, by passing up the high percentage conversion play available on 3rd down, and then missing Hagans, the series is over.

OL solid; Campbell questionable.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Second Possession

1st-and-10, WAS 24

Ravens put four on the LOS. The OL holds—no penetration. Campbell takes a 7-step drop (play-action to Betts). He steps and throws in rhythm to his first option, Randle El, in the intermediate middle, for 14 yards (14 catch, 0 RAC). Campbell had Cooley available in the right flat at the LOS with a 5-yard cushion to run, but elected to go with the deeper option. The pass was a little low, forcing a good to-ground catch by ARE, but the ball was on time and on target, covering 23 yards without ever getting more than 3 off the ground. The man has an arm.

Campbell and OL...solid.

3rd-and-8, WAS 41

Ravens put seven on the LOS. Redskins have six (OL, TE). Campbell in shotgun. Ravens bring four from the left side, drop two from the right into coverage. Betts slides left to pick up the safety blitzing off the edge. Cooley takes a bad angle on the blitzing LB, allowing immediate inside pressure on Campbell. The only visible bailout target is Randle El at the first down marker—but two Ravens are in the throwing lane. The LB hits Campbell as he throws, the ball comes out low and skips short.

The Ravens zone blitz left Dockery, Rabach and Rhinehart blocking air, while Heyer neutralized the DE. The play came down to Cooley’s whiff block on the LB, forcing Campbell to have to throw it away.

Campbell and OL acceptable. Cooley not so much.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

". From what I see of Orakpo, he has a chance to be a 10-sack star. Players like him are hard to find. But if you are switching to the 3-4, you have to find big defensive linemen. Raji is good enough to be a 3-4 end, but if needed, he can be Ryan Pickett's replacement at nose tackle in the next couple of years. The fact that the Packers drafted Clay Matthews covered the outside linebacker question, but, wow, I'm thinking Orakpo could be a star."

Raji at DE? Wow. That's a stretch.

Orakpo was the best pass rusher in last year's class. Possibly the best in the past two classes. He could be really good, long as the Skins don't do something to screw up his progress. But they wouldn't do that -- would they?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Analysis provided by Mark Stevens of the Bleacher report

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 2:05 PM |

He's been babied. Always a watered-down version of whatever offense was being used. Special coaching attention from Zorn. He's one of the most babied QBs in a long time. But probably not this year.

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that brings back memories. It's from William Jennings Bryan immediately following the verdict in the Scopes trial.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

thx twisi. missed the 1st 1/4 broadcast. Got an earful of 2nd & 3rd string disappointment, tho...

...and Larry michaels.... gag...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

And, anyway, it should be "Cut Tryon," since his sorry a$$ is already on the bench.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 17, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of letting the Skins find the right spot on the field for Orakpo.

If its at one of the LB slots, I'm fine. If its as an everydown DE, I'm fine. If its a situational pass rusher, I'm fine. If its a hybrid (demarcus ware type role), I'm fine.

Its important that the Skins identify how Orakpo can contribute most effectively. Even with the promising reviews, it'll take more time to sort through how to use him most effectively.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:15 PM |

Are you one of the Skins O coaches posting on this blog? Otherwise you are making stuff up, big time.

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

you got some memory there, old man ....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

ElDrano see my 2:16 pm post.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Santanna Moss WR 30

Again being that a Super Bowl run may be far fetched... how long can they expect Moss to be the #1 receiver at 31 can he still be your go to guy forget trying to find a number 2 guy one of these guys needs to come up and be a number 1 and soon

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

samson,

The scaffold disappears in about six months. “Over time the cells that attach to the scaffold produce enzymes that dissolve it,” Dr. Gibson said. At the same time, the cells are putting down their own matrix.

That is frickin cool. Thanks!

Posted by: RomoShortball | August 17, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the 'variable O-Sack-po" strategy could work. Hey, the kid is smart, so if he can take on two jobs, more power to him.

Onion other hand - if they mess the kid up, that'll be just awful... another f'n waste...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Ravens put seven on the LOS...Betts slides left to pick up the safety blitzing off the edge. Cooley takes a bad angle on the blitzing LB, allowing immediate inside pressure on Campbell. The only visible bailout target is Randle El at the first down marker—but two Ravens are in the throwing lane. The LB hits Campbell as he throws, the ball comes out low and skips short."

Nothing surprised me as much in that game as all the blitzing by Baltimore -- got even worse in the second half. No idea what they were trying to prove, other than their defensive pressure was ahead of the Washington offense, which we all knew already. Thing that reassured me a little in the context of a lackadaisical overall effort, was the line's ability to handle the Ravens' four rushers. Last year's game, they couldn't. Doesn't mean anything in terms of the upcoming season, but still, last year the Skins couldn't keep them out, and this year, for a few plays at least, they did.

Despite all the pass rush, the Ravens last season didn't sack QBs that often (34, compared to league leaders Dallas 59, Pitt 51, Philly 48). But they led the NFL in INTs with 26. Washington was well behind them in both categories. The Ravens benefited from a +13 turnover margin, third behind Miami and the Titans.

I'm no prognosticator, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Baltimore, Miami, and Tennessee come back to the pack a bit, this upcoming season.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 2:13 PM

The slobber clobber happens when the safety comes barrelling down for the kidney tackle, esp. if the receiver has not yet turned all the way up field.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh & back on topic. I don't care if Haney plays as long as he stay healthy.

I'm really not worried about him judging a roster spot...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

ElDrano see my 2:16 pm post.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:31 PM |

You didn't state up front where it was coming from, which you should have. But nevertheless, my statement applies to whoever did it. And next time try to be a more honest and upfront about sources if the words are not yours.

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"It takes a ballsy pass catcher (TE, WR, or RB) to turn his eyes to the QB to make this catch though b/c the first hit is coming hard."
Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh those ballsy pass catchers. Did you really need to list TE, WR, and RB as the players who catch passes? I guess you have to watch out for all those Guards and Free Safeties out there running crossing routes.

Posted by: SEJerome | August 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

He was up front and honest, and the source was very diligent and unbiased in his analysis, given what he was working with. There was nothing "made up" about that analysis.

Thanks for posting TWISI.

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Has been "babied" any more or less than any other QB that is learning a brand new offense?

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

...which is why I like the Cobra formation with LL and Horton underneath...could you imagine that formation if Sean Taylor were also still there at FS??

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Antwaan Randle El 30

This guy was never meant to be a number 2 anyway and watching him catch the ball and fall down on punt returns is painful

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, looks like Baltimore got to the postseason in 2008 and that offense turned stinky. They finished last in yards per game and near the bottom in most other offensive categories. Turnovers saved them until they got to Pittsburgh, an even better defensive club.

Fortunate to reach the NFC title game, IMO.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Analysis provided by Mark Stevens of the Bleacher report

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Twisi, couldn't agree with the analysis more 4 for 6 sound decisions is good except for only two of those resulted in 1st downs. And the only one he got pressure resulted in a bad play. Any NFL QB given time ought to complete passes, I'm not worried about if JC can do that, I'm worried that he rarely makes a good play when pressured, he doesn't hit hot reads, doesn't get rid of the ball quickly and is inept at the addage "avoid, reset throw". I will say, Colt didn't look great in his work as he had constant pressure but twice I saw him sidestep and avoid pressure reset and throw on 3rd downs far enough to at least give us a shot at a first if the WR could make a play. Two other occasions on early downs he felt the pocket collapse and he tucked and got what he could. I just watched the pick on youtube of the INT, rushed decision under pressure, but I saw a lot more that impressed me from Collins and Colt than JC.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

just quoting what NFL.Com said about the deal.. That Snyder was unsuccessfully shopping JC for a package of picks. And that he could do not get even a 2nd round pick for JC. Its how Snyder was indeed trying to compete last spring for Cutler.. When JC didnt match up with Orton (McDaniels didnt want JC versus Orton), Snyder tried to repackage JC and acquire picks by trading JC...and no better than a 3rd round was offered... Sooooo, Orton on the bench was more valuable than JC, a supposed "starter". And no other GM was willing to give better than a 3rd rounder..
This has been beaten to death...

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 17, 2009 2:02 PM

The only thing that seems true in here is that McDaniels wanted Orton over Campbell.

The rest of it has been "beaten to death" and repeated so much that the initial lie seems to have been been accepted as truth by some folks.

The Skins shopped JC17 to one team for a second round pick, not 30 teams. McDaniels chose Orton over Campbell. End of story. I challenge anyone to find a credible link stating otherwise.

Again, this is the Cutler trade story:

And this is what RI said about the 2nd rounder:

"Another NFL source said a high-ranking Redskins official contacted one NFL team today about the possibility of trading quarterback Jason Campbell for a second-round pick in the upcoming draft. That source said he interpreted the Redskins' overture as an attempt by Washington to put together a package to acquire Cutler."

******If you can't link to a credible source to back up your claim to the contrary, I can only assume you're making it up.******

Posted by: Alan4 | August 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's a look at the 6 pass attempts Campbell had this past Thursday. ...

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 2:13 PM |

He was up front and honest, ...

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2009 2:45 PM |

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

from a few post back ... the guys taking PR practice were Moss, ARE and Dorsey. One of those guys won't make the team, one isn't much of a PR guy and the other yanked his hammy just minutes after taking one to the house last season.

Not sure who our PR guy should be, but "none of the above" sounds right to me.

Why is Rock not getting a shot at it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Why is Rock not getting a shot at it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Because he's apparently no good at PR.

I recall BMitch talking about it (before Snyder canned him...again) on the radio - the differences between KR and PR. BMitch said he extended an informal invitation to Rock to show/teach him the ropes of PR, but there was no response on Rock's part.

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Smart move on Rock's part, BMitch is like the scorned lover of the Redskins. He has turned into the old lady on the corner who has 103 cats. A bitter dude.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2 I see where you're coming from. I would agree that Collins looked good. I thought that Colt balied on a couple of plays too quickly, but hopefully he improves this week as well. I heard JZ today on espn 980 that Collins is firmly the #2. That Leaves Colt and Chase to battle it out for the #3.

ElDrano it not that big of a deal. I was trying to enlighten, you were trying to humiliate. I'm giving JC the benefit of the doubt, you're not. Let's move on.

Posted by: TWISI | August 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"When a post starts off "here's a look" and then proceeds to blah, blah, blah, one thinks these are the words of the poster and they weren't. You apparently don't know what the words "honest" and "up front" mean. But to be "fair" I should point out that it happens from time to time on the RI blog.

Posted by: ElDrano"

Alright, he (or she) wasn't "up front." He prematurely posted his info, then preemptively cited his source even before you (or anybody else) finished questioning the credentials of the information.

Congratulations, you won the 'semantics argument of the day that adds no further value to anything being discussed now, in the past, or in the future.' Be proud.

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

eldrano: "When a post starts off "here's a look" and then proceeds to blah, blah, blah, one thinks these are the words of the poster and they weren't"

I didn't think TWISI wrote that for a moment. I did wonder where he was quoting from.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Not sure who our PR guy should be, ...

Why is Rock not getting a shot at it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 2:55 PM |

Isn't our PR guy some troll name of Bolno? And why would you think Rock would be any good at it?

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

BMitch broke the blog again...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

For you geeks, an interesting comment from the statisticians at Football Outsiders:

"In the NFL, a disproportionate amount of team success is related to how well a team performs on third down. It's something that's not only borne out in statistics, but makes sense when you think about it -- if a team strikes out on second down, they've got another chance to pick up a first down, but if they fail on third down, most times, they're punting.

What we've found is that teams that have a third down performance that's drastically different from their performance on first and second down tend to see that third down performance look more like their level of play on the other two downs in the following season. It's a very strong, reliable trend."

They made the remark while answering questions from the media about why they think the Ravens could struggle to repeat their '08 success in '09.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Question - Isn't it likely that Orakpo is just holding down the fort at OLB until we can acquire a real backer?

Don't you think he'll become a full time end next year when Daniels/Wynn are gone?

The thought of Orakpo, Monty/Golston, Haynesworth, Carter as front 4... Fletch, Rocky, (FA SLB), Hall, Rogers, Horton, Landry starting for us next year...

Makes me happy in pant.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 17, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention finally overhauling the O-line with a RT and C in first two rounds and us picking up the best RT in free agency....

this could conceivable be a team with very few weaknesses next year.. as long as we dont blow it all up this offseason.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention finally overhauling the O-line with a RT and C in first two rounds and us picking up the best RG in free agency....

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 17, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

FYI - BMitch is on 106.7 on Saturdays.....

Question - Who will show up more? Redskins fans or Steelers fans for this game saturday??

Also, I am contemplating having a Tailgating Venue @ my house where you can Park/Drink/And get a free ride to the stadium. Would anyone be interested?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Rock knew that if word got to Snydes that he was hanging w/BMitch, his position with the team (and with CP) might become precarious...

I have to admit that BMitch was one of my favorite Skins when he played. As a talking-head he was a mediocre Stephen A. Smith (if that's even possible). I probably wouldn't have renewed his 980 contract either...

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Double my bad. Meant to say RG not RT.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Isn't our PR guy some troll name of Bolno?
Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 3:11 PM

You don't know who our PR guy is? God you are useless. Why do you even post up here?

Posted by: mack1 | August 17, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

One more selection from FO and then I'll stop -- this time on the Eagles' 2008 season:

"The line between success and failure in the NFL is remarkably slim. The Eagles' postseason run came, of course, after the Raiders beat the Buccaneers on the road in a 1:00 game without their best player, Nnamdi Asomugha, or anything to play for. If the Raiders lose that game, Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb probably aren't Eagles right now, and the team's rebuilding.

"There was a really interesting study on pro-football-reference.com a couple of years ago that simulated the 2005 season 10,000 times based upon a set of win percentages that would be taken as each team's "true" talent level. The idea was to figure out how often the true "best team" in the league -- as measured by that "true" win percentage -- actually goes on to win the Super Bowl. The answer was about 30 percent of the time."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

interesting minor note from Peter King this morning .... perhaps Vinny is paying attention?

m. Kicker Brandon Coutu is nine-for-nine in two preseasons with Seattle, but probably won't make the team because Olindo Mare is five yards stronger on kickoffs. Coutu drills 'em. He should find a home when cuts are made.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Why is Rock not getting a shot at it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 2:55 PM

Have you seen Mr Rock returning kicks ? Not alone putting home behind a banged up O line. Stop asking questions that people have no interest in answering !!

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:16 PM |

I am sure a team performs a lot better on third and short than on third and long ...

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

If you look at the entire game the offense did not look good. Brennen looked mortal when not running for his life and Collins looked like, well, the life long backup that he is.

The defense was worse. They simply did not look like much of one. You can try and argue that Haynesworth and Rodgers weren't in there but players get injured all the time. (Not that they were but you can look at this game as if they were)

It will be critical that the team play much better in the 2nd through 4th quarters this week. This is the game and these are the quarters where teams evaluate depth for the regular season. The third pre-season game is more of a tune-up for the starters and by the fourth game the team is pretty much set.

If things don't go well in these quarters this week it could be a long season.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | August 17, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

This team??

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 3:35 PM

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest,

Yup. See me @ 1:03.

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

drfunknsoul,

"i havn't seen a beating like that since someone stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose"

Clark W Griswold

Posted by: Skins281 | August 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest,

Yup. See me @ 1:03.

Posted by: p1funk

missed your earlier post ... great minds and such

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the first play the Redskins have on defense Saturday, they should have Haynesworth drop back into coverage, just to see how many blockers will be standing around with stupid expressions on their faces...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SEJerome | August 17, 2009 2:42 PM

SEJerome (if that is your real name), the emphasis as on ballsy, not pass catchers. As far as I can tell, the Skins' ballsy pass catchers are Cooley, Portis, Malcolm Kelly (at least based on the one catch where we exposed his entire body for a reach for a catch over the middle), and maybe Yoder. Moss catches those sometimes, but lots of times not. ARE seems to anticipate the hit. Betts just doesn't hang onto them.

With you, FIREJIMZORN, and ElDrano, its like a flock of little bluebirds of happiness up here today.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

""In the NFL, a disproportionate amount of team success is related to how well a team performs on third down. ...
Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:16 PM |
Posted by: ElDrano"

Not the point, of course. The point that interested me is that you can use one measure to help predict future success, and that's the measure.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 3:43 PM |

Not that preseason games mean much, but Ouch!

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

bluebirds crap my car

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Kool GatorSkinz. You coming to the game on Saturday? I'm less than a halfmile from the stadium.

The tailgating thing, I kind of want to make $$$ from this (eventually), but we'll see. Hit me @ rightwaytax at hotmail dot com.

Whatever happens though, you guys are always welcome to come through b4 the game just hit me up and bring enough for me to drink, or some hotdogs to go on the grill. I got enough drivway to fill 3/4 cars....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

did anybody else like what they saw in Jarmon, I know that Carter is here for another year thanks to his moronic contract, but Jarmon and Rak could be our ends for the next several years! That was exciting! Now if we can just replace our QB and 4 lineman next year we're in good shape.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 3:43 PM |

Not that preseason games mean much, but Ouch!

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Colts put up 3 points.. What does that mean.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins are the only two teams that didn't put up any points in their first pre-season game.
Posted by: talent_evaluator "

So is there like, a prize?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

zJack, Jarmon was the highlight of the second half, esp. his hustle on that tipped pass. I'm totally psyched ... its like there's a combination of Skins and third round pick that is finally paying off like it should.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin, this is my message to you-ou-ou:

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I suspect Jarmon will force them to play him later in the season even if they'd rather sit him a year. The consensus is he needs to get bigger and stronger before he has a real impact. But I like the idea of the team stocking up on pass rushers.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

... but Jarmon and Rak could be our ends for the next several years! ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2009 3:53 PM

The other thing is that, if they pull this off with Orakpo at SLB, then he could be the piece of the puzzle that would allow them to switch to a base 3-4 front ... if they ever wanted to go there ... I don't ... but they never ask me what I think ... not that I hold that against them ... but facts is facts, they don't ask me.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

NO to the 3-4!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

beepity beepity

Posted by: -swb | August 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

SEJerome = ElDrano = FIREJIMZORN

Dude probably has three browers open and thinks he is a hoot

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

but facts is facts, they don't ask me.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:10 PM

And this explains the second half collapse last year. When will they ever learn?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I will be there. I got the Green pass to park, feel free to stop by. I will be the one in the Tebow or Harvin Jersey, Until I get an Orakpo Jersey. I figure I am paying for the Parking so I might as well use it.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the beep!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree with you on which players are tough enough to make the hard catch over the middle, but the point is you didn't you list (Portis, Cooley, Kelley) you listed (TE, RB, and WR) as "ballsy pass catchers." Those are the only 3 positions that are eligble receivers if you include FBs as RBs. That being said, I would also include Mike Sellers as someone who is capable of catching a pass and sustaining a hit (as the Lions DB from 2007 can probably remember).

Also, why does everybody hate on the SEJerome name? It's from Clinton Portis 2005. If I changed it to Dolemite Jenkins or Janky Spanky would that be as confusing to the diehard fans?

Posted by: SEJerome | August 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Verily, verily I say unto you Albert Haynesworth, should thou see-th a steelerish back carrying the ball nigh thy selfsame stance or through thou hole, why then discombobulate him and smite him with all your might.

Posted by: ElYeah | August 17, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

A little unrelated, but I have to say this:
Whomever logs in (as quickly as they can) and types "First!" (as quickly as they can) and submits their comment (as quickly as they can), so they can "win" the 'first post award' is officially THE biggest dork I can possibly imagine.

So, TITMyTeam, 44Diesel, et al... it's certainly nothing personal, but really. Seriously! Think about your goals and accomplishments for a while. First post?!? Wow.

This is just a whole new level of pathetic.

Posted by: fargincorksucker | August 17, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse