Haynesworth, Gurode say incident is history

When the Redskins signed Albert Haynesworth, you knew there'd be a whole new wrinkle to Dallas Week, thanks to that 2006 incident in which Haynesworth, playing for Tennessee, stomped on Andre Gurode.

Haynesworth discussed that incident as well as others involving anger management with Jason Reid and, last winter, told him:

"There was nothing I could do but just take responsibility for it, take a look at myself and just try to be" a better person, Haynesworth said. "Talking about it [with a counselor] really gave me a chance to open up. I look back at it and . . . it's almost like I wasn't the one doing it. It was all in, like, slow motion. I don't even remember a lot of what happened. But it was me. I did it, and it's hard to accept that you did something like that. It was just a really hard time. It was a really hard year for a lot of reasons."

Gurode is taking the high road, too, writes Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News:

"It's something that happened in the past, and we'll move forward," Gurode said Wednesday.

So we'll see what Sunday, and Haynesworth's tender ankle, brings.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 19, 2009; 10:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Betts, what happens after contact is key
Next: Orakpo, defense learn from Cowboys' game

Comments

I hope Mr Haynesworth intruduces himself to Mr Romo quite a few times on Sunday!

Posted by: skinball77 | November 19, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

How many times can i post before someone else shows up?

Posted by: skinball77 | November 19, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

F Jason Williams
AND F CHRIS LARRY

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Non-Football Post (sorry)

MLB Free-Agency signing period begins at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday

Predictions:

John Lackey becomes a Red Sox.

Hideki Matsui winds up in Seattle.

Curtis Ganderson becomes a Yankee.

Roy Halladay becomes a Phillie.

The Mets spend more money than they need to for Ben Sheets.

The small market teams complain about competitiveness.

The big market teams say, "Shut up and spend the luxury-tax money we give ya'!"

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"Shanahan has won ONE count 'em ONE playoff game since Elway left. Let's set the bar a little higher than that.

You can have him.

Posted by: edvar"

How many did Belichick have without Brady? Or Dungy without Manning?

Hey, if you want the true master, get Jon Gruden. That guy turned Rich Gannon into the league MVP (really....Rich Gannon), won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson, and took Chris Simms to the playoffs (seriously, Chris Simms).

Now THAT guy is the real deal.

Posted by: psps23 | November 19, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

with a cactus?!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Its freaking Dallas weak and you are typing about freaking baseball?

What kind of fan are you dude?

Posted by: skinball77 | November 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

moe, I want some mashers, guys who can rake, bail & wail, give me adrian gonzo, and matt holliday...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I Want Russ Grimmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Haynesworth/Gurode incident is both history AND future...

F Gurode and everything wearing a star.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 19, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

How many did Belichick have without Brady

53-64 without brady for the record....just sayin....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

i would love to see haynesworth stomp on homo's face sunday

Posted by: mopp04 | November 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

with a cactus?!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

SIDEWAYS CACTUS!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This is the week Orakpo moves ahead of Ware in the sack column.

F dallas! and the homo they rode in on.

...not that there's anything wrong w/that.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Hey I am all for talking Baseball from time to time. I wish 106.7 would talk more baseball.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

F the Texaco Star!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Alex35332: I'm with you on Russ Grimm for one, the O line would not be in shambles, ever! There would be a no nonsense approach to football and practice(no diva's) if Synder was serious about building a winner instead of making money(profit is a given with this franchise) then hiring Grimm should be a no brainer, stop with the big name hunting bring in Grimm and let him go to work.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

dargregmag,
I have a list of 19 likely coaching candidates I have been working off for a while. Grimm has been my top choice for a long time

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 19, 2009 11:02 AM

Can you remind us which NFL franchise is run as a nonprofit, a public service? Or even can you name one where the owner sets out to lose money?

Posted by: League-Source | November 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Or even can you name one where the owner sets out to lose money?

Posted by: League-Source | November 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Ralph Wilson.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I still like the story of Grimm driving his monster truck onto the field during training camp when some players were slacking one day. He almost ran them over.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 19, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

dargregmag my issue with Grimm would his selection of assistant coaches. I think that is one of the failing of the current administration. Zorn had no experience as HC, OC tec. Zorn surrounded himself with similar individuals, even pulling with only experience in the college rank. If Grimm was to be a candidate, I'd want to know that his staff will be loaded with an experienced OC and play caller given Grimm's lack of experience in that area.

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Winning = money making

If Snyder ever figured how to do it the skins would be formidable.

Posted by: skinswest | November 19, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"This is the week Orakpo moves ahead of Ware in the sack column."

Brian Orakpo is going to be a star.

We need more stars!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Or even can you name one where the owner sets out to lose money?

Posted by: League-Source | November 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Ralph Wilson.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Even that's only short term.

1. Lose Money now
2. Team gets moved
3. Make more money later

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 19, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

slow.

day.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | November 19, 2009 11:17 AM

I love how the story of Russ Grimm and this legendary tale of his 1st day as a coach are taking shape. I heard it was the biggest monster truck of all time, and he did run some of them over….he got it behind the blocking sled and made them do drills against his truck. If they couldn’t push the sled and his truck back he ran them over. Tre’ Johnson was the only guy who could move the sled. It was epic.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 11:18 AM

I would think that Grimm would be able to pluck a bunch of guys from the Cards and Steelers staffs…I believe that if you are offering them the chance for a “promotion” from their current position, the team that they currently coach for HAS to let them interview.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Dolphins' Ronnie Brown out for year

MIAMI -- Ronnie Brown's season has ended with an injury -- again.
The Miami Dolphins' leading rusher was placed on injured reserve Wednesday because of a right foot injury suffered in Sunday's victory over Tampa Bay.

A fifth-year pro, Brown missed the final nine games of the 2007 season with a right knee injury.

How's that Auburn Tiger class of '05 looking now?:

Cadillac Williams
Jason Campbell
Ronnie Brown

Ben Grubbs and Marcus McNeil--two linemen who came out the following years--look like the guys the smart folks fixated on.

And ain't ya' glad the fins got some bad karma headed their way for a chance?

I wonder how Jason Taylor is loving 3-5 with less pay than what he would've gotten in DC for the same team record.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the people who said let's hire Russ Grimm, just imagine how physical our team would play on both sides of the ball, the o-line would be much much better,our running game would be less stretch plays and more power running.If Gibbs comes back as VP of Football Operations(Same role as Bill Parcells) I would imagine Gibbs pulling for a Russ Grimm type hire, the only knock if Gibbs was to return as VP of Football Operations he would lobby for the resigning of Jason Campbell since he did draft Jason.

Posted by: robbkels | November 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1
+++++++++++++++++++++

I'd love to get some OC action from the Steelers. I think that's an offense we have the personnel for, and it's a lot closer to "Redskins Football" than this retarded WCO experiment.

Posted by: REXskins | November 19, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I like Grimm as well...I think someone said it up here a week ago, "you would think a true fan growing up and now the owner of the skins, he would see value in Grimm as a HC or OC." I paraphrased of course...

I would like a lifelong Skin to return or a highly respectable and proven track record HC to come in...I dont think right now we need the next young stud, we need someone that will immediately garner respect from Rooks to Vets...

F Stars, F Cowboys, F Cowgirls and that raging HOMO Romo!

Hail SKins, their players and fans!

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

**I agree with the people who said let's hire Russ Grimm...**

I disagree. The only person who should be hiring the next HC for the Skins should be the new GM (fire vinny!), who is hired by a new President of Football Operations (PFO). If that GM hires Grimm, great, but the current FO needs to be dismantled.

Otherwise, we may as well keep the same staff for nothing will change.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

moe, of that group of 3, I'd take Ronnie Brown, 10/10, and twice on Sunday....Cadillac Williams was part of that group too, wasn't he??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and my choice for PFO- Tony Dungy.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 19, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of sounding like a Redcoat proxy, Moe, why would we as Redskin fans wish bad karma on the Dolphins, especially in the form of an injury? For the Jason Taylor trade?

That debacle was always on the Redskins' front office, not on the Fins. What were they supposed to do, give back the draft picks we stupidly gave them?

Just saying that I don't think the Fins deserve any animosity up here. They're not on the schedule this year, and we sure ain't playin' them in the Super Bowl... and the last time we did, we beat 'em.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 19, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

oh how I wish we could get Dungy in here sadly I dont think it is likely

Posted by: BenchCampbell | November 19, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Except that one dude whose arm got torn off by a dolphin... he's got a legit beef...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

For once I will be positive. I like Russ Grimm as HC. He should have been the choice (2) seasons ago. My only question is why has he been passed up so many times over the last few years for a HC opportunity. I would have rather gone through the growing pains with Russ (2) seasons ago than Zorn. But I would take Russ over Haslett, Fossil, Green, Garrett, Nolan, Mooch, Mora, Grilliams, Saunders, April, Gray, Blatche, C. Weiss, Jim Harbaugh, B. Schottenheimer, and Pete Carmichael Jr.

Pete Carmichael Jr the Saints O-Coordinator is a former Skins coach. I'm a little intrigued by Jim Harbaugh but I think he needs a little more seaosning in college. I know that history has proven that college to the NFL coaches don't work but Jim played in the league for a long time and he runs a pro style system at Stanford. I'd definitely listen to him and maybe bring him along as a coordinator or on the offensive staff.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

nats, I'm surprised you wouldn't want Mr. Miyagi as the head coach.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

nice greg.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

So I'm reading the article about Los rebounding after getting smoked repeatedly by double moves this season, and Jerry Grey is saying that he needs to give MORE cushion? Are you kidding me? Whatever happened to tough aggressive D?

Sitting on the bench ought to be enough cushion...

Posted by: edvar | November 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Coach on. Coach off.

Seriously, though, I think HC is not our primary problem right now. Probably in the top 5, but not #1.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 19, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Good one Greg, although I heard your mother was on the short list but Snyder didn't want to hire some drunk alcoholic that would get a train run on her by the offensive line on Tuesdays, defensive line on Wednesdays, Special Teams on Thursday, and the Kickers on Friday. HA! Yu have been pwned!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I would not want anyone on this list at all. Saunders and Grilliams are no way in hell, mainly b/c they have been here and probably feel slighted by Snyder.

Blatche is here and I think will retire, but I dont like him personally as a head coach.

The rest have not proven enough in my eyes to get this position, that really needs to be someone with proven track record that the players will listen to.

I too wonder why Russ has not gotten any real looks, but I read once that he does not interview well, not a great one on one person to chat, serious football guy like a Coughlin.

I thought I read something that Harbaugh is signing a huge extension to stay with Stanford.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:07 PM

I find it interesting that in your post the other day, you were adopting children from all over the world to bring harmony to the world...then you spew this garbage against Irish people and people mothers...walking contradiction my friend and laying the ground work to be permanately being a Grade A D Bag

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Of course that would probably make your day as you and your drunk father could sit in the corner wearing blindfolds and give each other handies. You could slip your mother's dirt panties over your face and slip her gargantuan bra over your dad's head and smother his drunken red nose into Haynesworth's crack as he plows your mother good and hard.

Póg me hón!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good article over at USAtoday on the drunken "crackdown" at games.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness! Total Pwnage! 2 Hit Combo!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Twisi,
I would like to see Grimm come in at head coach (and using my list of assistants and ex-head coaches, and stuff)

HC: Grimm
OC: Jim Fassel/ Pete Carmichael Jr.
DC: Mike Zimmer/ Rob Ryan/ Jim Haslett

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I took the high road, the Bean Man just kept on going with more of the same. So play with fire......

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

John Kreese: Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Cobra Kai: No, Sensei!
John Kreese: Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Cobra Kai: No, Sensei!
John Kreese: Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Cobra Kai: No, Sensei!
John Kreese: Prepare! What do we study here?
Cobra Kai: The way of the fist, sir!
John Kreese: And what is that way?
Cobra Kai: Strike first, strike hard, no mercy, sir!
John Kreese: I can't hear you!
Cobra Kai: Strike first, strike hard, no mercy, sir!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Póg me hón!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:14 PM

SOunds like your day at Walmart, I mean the DOJO...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

1. Calling Tony Romo, Tony Homo is beyond weak minded, but this is a fine place to begin the characterization of what amounts to childish baffoonery that only makes whoever goes there with that look like a maaaaaaaaaaaajor azzhat. Plus, it just ain't funny.

2. This "rivalry" means next to nothing for the city of Dallas. The Redskins have played themselves into a position of insignificance in the NFC East. As Mike Wise said, while it may be "Dallas Week" in Washington it ain't "Washington Week" in Dallas.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Actually it does. I love Walmart. You see some of the most bizarre trailer park people on Earth. It's the best!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

IRVING — It was a play Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode wishes had never happened and one he had hoped to forget.

Plastic surgery removed the scars. The years had put the memory in the recesses of his mind.

But as soon as defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth left the Tennessee Titans to sign a record seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins last spring, Gurode knew he wouldn’t be able to avoid the topic.

Talk would return to what might be the dirtiest play of the past 20 years in the NFL if not longer.

"I expected that when he signed with the Redskins and we played them that it was going to be brought up," Gurode said.

The play was early in the third quarter, a 5-yard touchdown run by Dallas’ Julius Jones in the Cowboys’ 45-15 victory on Oct. 1, 2006. Gurode’s helmet came off and he was on his back. Haynesworth, standing over him, first kicked Gurode in the head and then scraped his cleats across Gurode’s face and forehead.

Haynesworth was suspended five games and fined $190,000 by the NFL. It was the longest suspension ever for on-field actions.

Former Cowboys fullback Daryl Johnston, who was calling the game for Fox that day, still shudders when recalling the play..

"I have never seen anything like it," Johnston said. "I have seen violent collisions. I’ve never seen anything in that element — anger, frustration and intent to hurt. I was taken aback."

Gurode was never bitter, never complained. He didn’t miss a game and hasn’t missed a beat, using it as a stepping stone to a Pro Bowl career.

Gurode has made three Pro Bowls since the incident. Twice he has lined up against Haynesworth in those games.

But Sunday’s game against the Redskins will be the first time since the incident he has played Haynesworth in a game that means something.

"I think that situation is behind us," Gurode said. "It’s something that happened years ago. He doesn’t focus on it. I don’t focus on it. We just moved forward and continue to play football. You can’t let what happened in the past define who you are."

Gurode’s teammates have been impressed by his response to the incident.

"Anytime something like that happens, I think just how he handled himself in the whole situation. I think you have respect for him," said tight end Jason Witten, who saw the blood coming out of Gurode’s forehead that day. "He’s a mauler inside, and he’s been that way for a long time. He just played better and better and that could have set him back, but he didn’t allow that to be an excuse for him."

Linebacker Bradie James also respects Gurode for the way he has handled himself.

"He might not say anything about it, but he’s probably looking forward to playing Haynesworth after that," James said.

Posted by: jiza32 | November 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

John Kreese: Sweep the leg. (referring to Daniel's injured leg)
[natsfan007 stares at him in shock]
John Kreese: Do you have a problem with that?
natsfan007: No, Sensei.
John Kreese: No mercy.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This just in. Dan Snyder's jet was seen in San Francisco where Jim Harbaugh is interviewing for the HC Redskins job next year.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Natsfan,

My hope for you... unemployment and a prolonged stay at a trailer park near wherever the fork you are.

or better yet, living out of a fifth wheel parked at the Wal-Mart.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Póg me hón!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:14 PM

SOunds like your day at Walmart, I mean the DOJO...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:20 PM

Did you two ever hook up the other night? Nether one of you ever responded to my offer.

Posted by: mack1 | November 19, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

You know, you're right. The rivlary just isn't the same as it once was. I would recommend the Redskins do a little something down in Dallas to stir things up. I would recommend that Campbell throw a rocket on the first play right to Wade Philips' head, but Campbell's so inaccurate he would probably take out a cheerleader or something. Maybe the sure thing is for Landry to hit Romo five yards out of bounds, Hall will get in a shouting match with Wade Philips, and then Haynesworth throws Gurode to the turf and stomps him once more for old times' sake. That sounds like something that couldn't possibly happen, doesn't it?

BTW, has anyone ever noticed how as the years have gone by Wade Philips has looked more and more like the Sta-Puf marshmallow man?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Chia...what is your point?

Personally I find the "Tony Homo" moniker a bit sophomoric, but so what? The Cowboys players, fans, ownership, & history deserve to be mocked, made fun of, and trashed at every turn.

And so what if Dallas doesn't have a "Washington Week"? The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 13 pathetic seasons. They are the most overhyped team in the NFL each and every year.

Oh, and the Redskins have won 5 of the last 8 games against the Cowboys. Let's make it 6 of 9 on Sunday.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | November 19, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I dont live in DC Mack1, but when I visit, I am more than interested in speaking with both of you...

Let me guess, you hit like a Mack truck and that you are super tough! Awesome.

I never saw your offer, but I am sure its outstanding.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 12:30 PM
-----------------------------------------
Yeah, right. And right after that he was spotted at the grave site of Bill Walsh interviewing the ghost of Bill for the GM job. It could happen. People are saying that once someone works for Snyder awhile, they are dying to get out of there, and Walsh couldn't say that, see, because he's already... y'know.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy Advise please.....lost ronnie brown. there are zippy RB's on waiver in muy league.. here is the short list:

Fargas (oak)
Moats (hou)
Hilliard (Mia) new backup now
Norwood (atl)

the obvious Forsett, Scott guys are gone.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

so anyways...F the Cowboys!

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Folks on the radio were saying Harbaugh would be the top candidate to go to his alma mater Michigan if they dump Rich Rodriguez.

Posted by: skinswest | November 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm down for a meeting

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It would be hard for me to leave Stanford if I was the coach...incredible school, great athletes...dont they win the NCAA trophy for all around achievements in sports/ athletics...that would be a tough gig to give up.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

dmorgan, Dead on with your post. Cryboys haven't been the powerhouse in recent years. Better known for choking in big games. Looking forward to Sunday when Skins kick Dal Ass. F the Cowboys!

Posted by: VegasJim | November 19, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Pffft. Just goes to show that Mike Wise still has much to learn about this rivalry. If he thinks Dallas fans don't get geared up to beat the Redskins, he's wrong.

The teams certainly don't hold the rivalry up as much as fans do anymore, but I don't see how Dallas - the fans or the team - could view Washington as "unworthy" of their attention. Aferall, Dallas hasn't won anything in almost as long as the Skins, and actually has less playoff wins than Washington does over the past decade and a half.

Dallas is consitently overhyped, and their team lacks passion and focus. Exhibit A would be last week against the Packers.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 19, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Jim Harbaugh has a three year extension on the table w/ Standford. I don't see him leaving that school just when he's about to become the big dog in the yard.
---------------------------------
HC: Grimm
OC: Jim Fassel/ Pete Carmichael Jr.
DC: Mike Zimmer/ Rob Ryan/ Jim Haslett

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 12:17 PM

I like this list. I'd also throw in Jeff Davidson's name in as OC if John Fox is let go.

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasJim | November 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Not bad getting a QB prospect for essentially free.

Bills sign Brohm

The Buffalo Bills signed quarterback Brian Brohm, the team announced Thursday.

Brohm had been on the Green Bay Packers' practice squad. He was a second-round draft pick by the Packers in 2008 out of Louisville.

Under NFL rules, a team can sign a player off another club's practice squad by placing him on the 53-man roster.

The Bills released quarterback Gibran Hamdan.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Russ Lande, War Room scouts
Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009 - 3:29 p.m. ET
Sporting News draft expert Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scouts produce their 2010 mock draft, with the order based on current records (*-underclassman):

1. Rams: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
The Rams have whiffed on two recent first-round D-linemen (Adam Carriker, Chris Long). Suh is an impact interior defender who would upgrade the defense immediately.

2. The Browns need someone to make plays, and Dez Bryant would fit the bill.2. Browns: Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State
The Browns' offense is historically bad, scoring only five touchdowns in nine games. A big part of the problem is a lack of playmakers.

3. Lions: Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma
The Lions must upgrade the pass rush and interior defensive line, and McCoy is capable of making game-changing plays routinely.

4. Buccaneers: Eric Berry*, CB, Tennessee
CB Ronde Barber turns 35 in April, and S Sabby Piscitelli is not a quality starter. Berry is an elite athlete who can start anywhere in the secondary.

5. Chiefs: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Okung would start at right tackle early before replacing inconsistent LT Branden Albert.

6. Raiders: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
LG Robert Gallery, an average blocker, is the team's best lineman. Williams has the size, strength and athleticism to help QB JaMarcus Russell make strides in '10.

7. Seahawks: Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
LT Walter Jones' Hall of Fame career could be over, and the team must do everything it can to keep QB Matt Hasselbeck healthy in his later years.

8. Redskins: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
RB Clinton Portis is approaching the 30-year-old wall, and Ladell Betts is best suited to be a backup. Spiller, with his running and receiving skills, could revitalize QB Jason Campbell's career.

9. Bills: Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
Kindle is an explosive athlete who could start at outside linebacker and move up to rush end in passing situations.

10. Titans: Cameron Heyward*, DE, Ohio State
Heyward says he'll return to Ohio State for his senior year, but we think he'll change his mind once he realizes he'd be a top-15 pick. DEs Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jevon Kearse both are north of 30.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Watch your mouths when talking about American's Team. Dallas represents all of you so show some respect for the flag and of course the Star on our helmets. Losers!

Posted by: BaysoxFan39 | November 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Chia...what is your point?

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | November 19, 2009 12:36 PM

--------

Read my post.

My point was made.

HTTR!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, WHAT!? I'm going to presume, that Baysox, you are being sarcastic?

If not, I'll respond with a hearty:

F Dallas
F The Star
F Anyone who calls Dallas "America's Team"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Watch our mouth over the Cowboys...Child Please.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

We win in Dallas, great.

Yes, F Dallas, indeed.

As of this moment, however, we are not the team at the top of the NFC East standings, they are, which means we ain't got nothin, save for some words.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Bean Cadillac was a part of that auburn team; drafted 5th overall. Brown 2nd overall.

"I would recommend that Campbell throw a rocket on the first play right to Wade Philips' head, but Campbell's so inaccurate he would probably take out a cheerleader or something." RSH

Probably end up as the longest TD pass of his career.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 19, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 12:30 PM
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Before you make comments, know the facts. There is no grave site. William (Bill) Ernest Walsh was cremated and his ashes spread over Monterey Bay. He died of leukemia on July 30, 2007. Reports are that Snyder was flying over Monterey Bay and talking to Bill on a loud speaker set up on the side of a helicopter that had the logo for "Warriors" because reports are that the Redskins name is being changed to Warriors. So please smarten up before you comment and give it some truth and imagination.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BaysoxFan39 | November 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

----------------

Well then you sure do represent like crap.

Looking forward to ruining your season this coming week...it won't be that hard, because your team is soft and has no will.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Gibran Hamden, kid can never seem to stay on a team, sucks for him, he is a local boy that used to be on the Skins.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

One team is 6-3

The other team is 3-6.

.667 versus .333.

of yeah, but F Dallas!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope Hunter Smith breaks Jerry's jumbotron

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 19, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

We win in Dallas, great.

Yes, F Dallas, indeed.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

-----------

Leading the division in week 10 is meaningless, especially if you are the Cowboys, who can't even go 13-3 during a season without stepping on themselves in the playoffs.

Right now, no one gets to puff out their chests in the NFC East - all there is right now is uncertainty.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 19, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 19, 2009 12:54 PM

8. Redskins: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

If the OT are gone, and the skins can't trade back, I'd rather Spiller than a rookie QB.

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

on the draft, Skins need to take best player available at a position of significant need. Going into 2010, that appears to include much of the OL, RB, CB.

Its also possible it could be LB with Fletcher's age plus Orakpo likely going back to DE and WR. QB and FS are also possible uses for the top pick based on what happens in the offseason.

After round 1, go OL the rest of the way.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 19, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

True, Sherman.

We'll see who plays the more physical game on Sunday.

This is the team that wins the game and makes a statement in the process...

"WHACK"
-by London Fletcher or Rocky Mac, or Andre Carter, or Rak.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I am a lifelong fan of America's Team. After reading all the comments from fans of a losing team and trainwreck of an organization I had to speak up. The Foreskins lost to every winless team in the NFL. The owner is a complete idiot, Jason Campbell is a statue and Portis is a shell of what he once was. The beating the Foreskins will encure in Cowboy Stadium will be justified, swift and without mercy. Fix your trainwreck of a football franchise before you run your mouths about America's Team.

Posted by: BaysoxFan39 | November 19, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Stuck in the '70's, eh Baysox?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Newsflash to Baysox,

Cowboys are NOT "America's Team."

Dem the Dallas Cowboys, and that's about it.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The Atlanta Braves are Americas Team.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 19, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Baysox, The Cowpies are crap. The Redskin trainwreck will crush them. I can see Romo sitting crosseyed on the bench.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

If anything, the Washington Redskins are "America's Team."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BaysoxFan39 | November 19, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

_______________
You can't possibly be talking about a team winning whose QB's name is Tony Homo and whose owner's first name is Jerry? Homo and Jerry, the bobbsey twins separated by a generation.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

We have a good shot at beating dallas this weekend. Pressure on romo and not letting him get away from the pressure will be big. Tackling in the secondary will be big.

Our offense can score against this team, but if we win, it'll be the defense that makes the difference.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

the baffoonery goes on unabated...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Unabated Buffonery...great band name.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Baysox,

Calling our organization a trainwreck is like the pot calling the kettle black.

You haven't sniffed even a playoff win since 1996.

The FACT is, the Redskins have actually had more playoff success than your girls over the past 14 years.

Almost everything you could point to that is wrong with this organization, is wrong with your own.

So....before YOU come onto a Redskins board and talk trash, YOU go clean up YOU overrated, overpriced, overcoked, overface lifted, national embarrassment of an organization with it's outlet mall of a stadium.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 19, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 12:30 PM
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | November 19, 2009 1:03 PM
-----------------------------------------
The problem with being cremated is you could end up in some ash hole. You forgot to mention that the pilot of helicopter was none other than Jon Gruden who had just gotten off the phone with someone in Buffalo and was wearing a Cleveland Browns ball cap.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

the baffoonery goes on unabated...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:20 PM
-----------------------------------------
Chia, you are a master un-abater.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 19, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Witten on Skins: 'This is the Super Bowl for them'
November, 17, 2009 Nov 17

The Cowboys didn't need to watch film of the Washington Redskins' upset of the Denver Broncos to know they'd be in for a fight against the NFC East's last-place team.

The Redskins have won five of the last eight games against the Cowboys.

"They've always given us the blues," linebacker Bradie James said. "They'll be ready and we have to get ready."

Cowboys-Redskins used to be perhaps the NFL's most bitter rivalry. It's probably the only one that featured a funeral wreath being thrown into the loser's locker room, as legend has it ex-Dallas DE Harvey Martin did at a crazy Cowboys comeback win at Texas Stadium in Dec. 1979.

There's more venom at Valley Ranch toward the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles these days, since those division rivals have ended the Cowboys' season the last couple of years. But the Cowboys realize that the Redskins still take the rivalry very seriously, so they better match that intensity.

"We know this is the Super Bowl for them," tight end Jason Witten said. "That's the type of mentality they have."

Give me a break, Witten. This is an NFC East game, and you better come prepared. It's not like the Redskins are completely done. If they beat your sorry team and the Eagles, the NFC East is going to look pretty damn even.

Oh, and Baysox, "encure" isn't a word. AND, you shouldn't talk smack about losing to winless teams. The Cowboys lost to the Packers one week after they lost to the last winless team in the NFL.

The Baysox? Really?

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | November 19, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BaysoxFan39

F you bama. Take your azz to the Dallas Morning News. You just get ready for your annual December collapse. F Dallas and U.

Posted by: dcwun | November 19, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I would agree. We need OL but throwing a first rounder away on a guy you can get in the second round isn't the right way either. I'd really love to see Okung or Bulaga fall but we'll probably just win enough games to make that not happen.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 19, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Personally I find the "Tony Homo" moniker a bit sophomoric, but so what?

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | November 19, 2009 12:36 PM

--------

Matthew Shepard.

Hateful language breeds hate begets violence.

Right Mind = Right Speech

F Dallas!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with saying Tony Homo? The PC police in this country are as annoying as people who challenge fights over a message board. Or people who root for the Cowboys but spend their time reading a Redskins site related board. Unless you are of that persuasion and someone slanders you with hate speech you should leave it alone.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

DJ Jazzy Jeff = Jeff George = George Clinton = Clinton Portis = Portis Wagoner

Hah!

Posted by: MrPink | November 19, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BaysoxFan39 | November 19, 2009 12:58 PM

Let me guess, you don't live in Dallas.

Posted by: hessone | November 19, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

This is great! The last time Witten mouthed off it against us was because he caught a last second first down which put them into range for the winning field goal….then on the next play he whiffed his block and let Troy Vincent run through to block the kick, which ST21 returned close enough for Novack to kick our own game winner!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

If anything, the Washington Redskins are "America's Team."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:19 PM |

They sure ain't "Native America's Team" you dipstick.

Posted by: MrPink | November 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Stinkston,

You say whatever you want.

If you're too dense to see how the words we choose have an impact on the type of world we live in and the many forms of senseless violence that take place of every second of every day, well then...

You keep on keepin' on.

This ain't about being "politically correct," it's about being tolerant and NOT being a bigot.

but what the heck...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

BaysoxFan39,
America's Team was a marketing ploy that Cowboy fans around the country fell for. Their no more America's team as I'm the freakin President of the United States. Like I've said in the past, if your not from Texas and you claim to be a Cowboy's fan your just a virus.

Posted by: hessone | November 19, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

understood and agreed ToddStinkston...

F the Cowboys.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Pink,

Ok, let's drop the whole "America's Team" thing all together, or better yet, let's say whatever the ferk we want because this is a sports blog where we are all free to give voice to our inner bigot.

[ I was being facetious about the Washington Redskins being "America's Team, dipstick." ]

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 19, 2009 1:04 PM

Huh? The guy was a seventh round pick and he's been in the league for six years. That guy's gotten a lot of mileage out of very marginal talent. Zorn coached him at Seattle, so that's probably how he's been able to stick as long as he has.

Posted by: League-Source | November 19, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The PC police in this country are as annoying ...

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 19, 2009 1:31 PM |

Hey the PC police in this country are wusses compared to the PGC police in this county.

Posted by: MrPink | November 19, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

you guys are gay....

F the cowgirls.....

Thanks for no fantasy advise..

Really thanks...

F the cowpiles...

F Dan Snyder......

Posted by: FedorEm | November 19, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't use "Tony Homo" myself but I have no problem with it either.

And if anyone else does, too bad.

That's my "tolerant moment" du jour.

Carry on.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Cowchoke fans that don't live in Dallas..Seems like you find them everywhere, they're the ones in your family that everyone else can't stand. The loudmouths and braggarts that suddenly disappear when the Pies do their annual melt down in December. Frontrunners that fade into oblivion. Pityful.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 19, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Today is "Ignorant Day" on da blog.

Get your head out of your arses, hamsters.

I hope you all aren't breeding...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't use "Tony Homo" myself but I have no problem with it either.
And if anyone else does, too bad.
That's my "tolerant moment" du jour.
Carry on.
Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 19, 2009 1:47 PM

Just don’t say that he’s light in his loafers….apparently that crosses some sort of line up here…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Tony Homo is the best. His name is just asking for it.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 19, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 19, 2009 12:54 PM

8. Redskins: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I figure one of the OT's will still be there because Cable will desperately want to grab one of them, but Big Al will take some 5th rounder with a 4.29 combo time.

PS Spiller wouldn't hurt my feelings... but for criminey's sake, Just Say No! to a QB in the 1st.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Sure, his name is asking for it.

Just like in "Meet The Parents," where Ben Stiller's name is Gaylord Focker, and they laugh at him being 'Gay Focker.'

I don't recall anyone getting their panties in a bunch over THAT, and this is no different.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Rock over London
Rock on Chicago
Hinez, Americas Favorite Ketchup

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 19, 2009 1:09 PM

Depending on who's available they'll have needs at OLB, CB, FS, OG and C as well. I don't know how good Spiller is but he's listed at 195 lbs. That's kinda small for a RB behind a crappy OL.

Posted by: skinswest | November 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Someone please move Chia to a window facing south.

and beep beep.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 19, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The Great Wesley Willis

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 19, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth - Anybody who kicks a Cowboy in the head is welcome here.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Take Fargas. Leads the team in carries in 2009; averages 4.1 ypc over career and was a player at USC. And he's Huggy Bear's son.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 19, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Chia,

I see your point, but true progress would be when everyone can speak their mind, and the words used have no power because those they are used against don't let them stick.

Asking everyone to zip their traps so as not to be offensive is only a short term solution that kicks the long term problem down the road, and is akin to cleaning your room by sweeping the mess under the bed. Just because people aren't saying it, doesn't mean they don't believe it. Better to have it all out there for discussion so we can deal with our demons, than silence all speech, however bigoted, on the subject.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 19, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

joking aside Harbaugh would not be a terrible choice if we wanted to go after a college coach

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

ga8085: I don't think the experts have it right. If Colt McCoy is there when the Skins pick in the first round, he's a Redskin. They won't re-sign Jason, and they've got no "QB of the future" behind him. I don't especially like the "big three" QBs this year. Colt isn't consistent enough, Bradford's injured shoulder scares me, and Tebow's playing style and injury history turn me off to him as a high pick. Still if the #1 LT and CB are both off the board, maybe they'll almost certainly go QB. And I think that means Colt. Which would mean they lead the league in QBs named Colt.

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | November 19, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 19, 2009 11:09 AM
I think the point is that the Skins will make a tidy profit even if they field a team of Pop Warner all stars. Nobody begrudges Snyder making money, just want a bit more energy put into actually winning, which is the point of playing the game.

Posted by: kenboy1 | November 20, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say, listening to Matt Millen on Thursday Night Football tonight, I tuned in late and thought it was Brian Baldinger... or "Baldy" as he likes to be called.

I kept saying, "God, I can't stand this idiot!" and "Why do they have to have someone stupid in the booth all the time?!"

(especially when the refs wouldn't let Carolina snap the ball early on a 3rd and 1... He gave credit to the Umpire... because "it's their job to make sure the Defense has time to get their subs in")

UnSPEAKably ignorant. Anyway, Delhomme threw a TERRIBLE Int on the play - bad throw, bad decision, etc.

And then, I saw it was Matt Millen. HOW. HOW in a MILLION YEARS, could you let somebody SOOOOO obviously not very cerebral be your GM?!?!

...and then, I remembered... we got Vinnie.

Oh, yeah.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 20, 2009 2:05 AM | Report abuse

I was at the stadium getting ready to watch the Skins and we were eating some over-priced food when the Titans-Cowboys was on one of the screens and Haynesworth stomped that guy's face.

I was the ONLY ONE who stood up and cheered.

I'm not proud of it, but it was a knee-jerk reaction born of Cowboy Hatred Syndrome, with which I am afflicted.

As I looked around the room, everybody had the same look of "You're such a disgusting person"... the same look my wife and everybody else at my table had on their faces as they looked at me.

Anyway, I also said, but more quietly, "I wish we had that guy on the Redskins."

and now we do. So, that's the story.

maybe you had to be there. It was crazy.

Welp. Anyway.