Haynesworth has 'already started' training for fall

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, the Redskins' marquee offseason addition, ended his season on the sidelines, sitting out the final game against San Diego with a hip injury. Thus, he finished his first season in Washington having played in just 12 games, missing action earlier in the year with an ankle problem.

All four of his missed games came in the second half of the season, and he finished the year with 37 tackles and four sacks.

"I want to be back here," Haynesworth, who is guaranteed $41 million, said Sunday night. "I think this team gave me the opportunity to definitely win. I expect next year is going to be great."

On Christmas Day, Haynesworth was told to leave Redskins Park during practice because he had been late for a meeting earlier in the day. But he said Sunday that he was already focusing on the 2010 season.

"My year, I've already started," Haynesworth said. "I got my trainer along. We're going to start training real hard. We're going to come back and have a great year. It was disappointing for me as far as the season and me personally."

Haynesworth's sack total was his lowest since 2006, when he had two with Tennessee. He has not played all 16 games in a season since 2002, his rookie year.

Zorn speaks

Dan Steinberg listened to Jim Zorn's presser and, among other things, Zorn was asked if he'd gotten a fair shake in Washington:

There's more at D.C. Sports Bog.

By Barry Svrluga  |  January 3, 2010; 9:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins can't hold on, finish 4-12
Next: Rogers' future with Redskins is out of his hands

Comments

*REPOST*

Mr. Paul Tenorio: I noticed you slipped in that last link about the Rooney Rule and everybody was talkin bout it on an earlier thread. So . . .

I'm glad no one touched this one and I kinda expected "TheCork" to say something, but lately he's been posting during his nightly/early morning bathroom break. Damn prostate!

`

"These days it seems like the "in-thing" when a black person speaks out against inequality or discrimination or when policy is implemented to discouraged the aforementioned, that person or policy is widely viewed by "white" people as racist or unfair...." -RedDMV

^^^ya see Red, times have changed b/c b4, the "in-thing" was to play the race card on every avenue! For sum reason*wink* I don't ever hear Asians or Hispanics complaining about their lack of head coaches etc. Why is that? African Americans aren't the only minorities, Ya know.

Quite simply if playing the race card is unwarranted, then those being accused of racism will play the reverse race card unwarranted. Ya see?

No1 here is saying the Rooney Rule is unfair/racist b/c they don't want to see a minority coach.

If I have to explain to you how anyone getting an interview b/c of his/her race is unfair, then TheCork is right and you ain't too bright.

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

*REPOST*

Ricky, he would be a good pick but if Suh is there at #4 you also HAVE to let a team give you their 1,2 and 4 for the pick. Suh at 4 would have more teams willing to come up than Clausen/Bradford. Depending on the team, Bradford may even fall to you at the new number 1(shudder and perish the thought though!).

Take the move back, get one of the OTs with the new 1, and then start filling in at G, OT, FS, RB, LB with your 2,2 4,4 5,7.

Tender JC and CR, that may change the dynamic as well.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

`

I gotta agree with this one. Ideally I'd like to trade down. Good Players can be had at any pick in the draft!

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

going in today our SOS was 44% and KC was 51%

so we should be #4 and they would be #5

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 3, 2010 8:54 PM |

But you have to factor in that Goodell had put the Skins on double secret probation after they brought in a bingo caller to call their plays. That automatically deducts 10% from your SOS calc. Hence it now becomes 54% vs 51% and the Skins may be in jeopardy of losing their #4.

Posted by: TubularBells | January 3, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I believe his training includes 3 pounds of fatback, ribs, 2 dozens, pudding pie and of course, sleep. That the Golden Skillet training routine. Also, several trips walking toliet dvd.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | January 3, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan already has been diligently working to secure a staff, likely to include son Kyle as offensive coordinator, Bob Slowik as a defensive coach, and Jim and Jeff Goodman in personnel capacities. Shanahan also is interested in Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, according to sources. Zimmer's contract expires at season's end.

Zorn and top assistant Sherman Smith are leading candidates to join the Cleveland Browns' staff under their mentor, new team president Mike Holmgren, if he opts to replace coach Eric Mangini there.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 3, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

*REPOST*

Amazing. The writer (Paul Tenorio) totally ignored a clear ironic juxtaposition of a low round back up QB that rallies his team from behind playing with other Chargers second stringers..
And yet the Skins starting first round pick multimillion dollar QB chokes in trying to at least get to FG position to tie it.

by: SkinsneedaGM

effing brilliant post!

never thought of it that way. I wish i could think outside the boxx.

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I believe his training includes 3 pounds of fatback, ribs, 2 dozens, pudding pie and of course, sleep. That the Golden Skillet training routine. Also, several trips walking the can dvd.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | January 3, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Anybody out there know when we're picking?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 3, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

April. 2010.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2010 9:02 PM

Nice answer...I had all the scenarios laid out mid week. I was just being a sarcastic prick.

WE HAVE THE 4TH PICK IN APRIL
Thurs, April 22, 7:30 p.m START TIME.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 3, 2010 9:10 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 3, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Blache took Slowik's job in the past (late 90's I think). Revenge is fun.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 3, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I find the calling for Russ Grimm to be head coach hilarious...

Nothing more than some old head Redskin fans wanting to bring some of that "old magic" back.

Grimm has been on multiple interviews, only for the job the he interviewed for to be given to someone else. Why do you all think this is?

True he may not interview well, but I mean honestly, other than how his history with the Redskins, what so damn intriguing about this dude? I really don't understand the fascination for him from some of you.

What makes him so more qualified than Jerry Gray, and before you all pick which tree and tighten the noose for Jerry Gray's hanging (irony, sarcasm, figure of speech), how about you stop and ask yourselves: Is the deficiencies of the secondary due to the scheme/playcalling on defense (Blache)? Because while both were here during Gregg Williams stay here, only one of them is now calling the plays on defense.

Think about it.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 3, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

You guys are forgetting one thing...

JLaC was WRONG on the last coaches search....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 3, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

$100 cancers... areanes and haynesworth!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 3, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Why not hire Mike Zimmer as HC instead of a re-tread?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 3, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Season Ending Awards:

Offensive Player of the Year: Hunter Smith
Defensive Player of the Year: Andre Carter
Special Teams Player of the Year: Rock Cartrwright
Rookie of the Year: Brian Orakpo
Most Improved Player of the Year: Fred Davis
Coach of the Year: Sherman Lewis

Posted by: isnadd | January 3, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should read The Bogs summary of Bruce Allens pre-game comments. Because next year is an uncapped year, the Skins won't be able to reload through FA as expected.

Out of Bruce Allens mouth, he expects most of this group to be back. Which means bringing in a new coach is probably pointless.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 3, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

trade portis to a florida team for picks... draft a natural free safety... draft o-linemen... trade randle el... keep rock!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

------------------

I hope Grimm comes to his next interview more prepared and actually acting like he wants to be a HC. I remember him going to one of these interviews wearing a sweater. Come on. There are only 32 of these things and you show enough respect to your future employer to show up wearing a sweater?

Posted by: TWISI | January 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

If Suh is there, (which he won't be), you take him...between Orakpo, Jarmon, Haynesworth and Suh...now you're talkin' domination.

If Okung, Suh, and Berry are gone you trade back for more picks then pick up your OT.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 3, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc

Did Cork get you a new bib and some knee-pads for Christmas?

Another jackass RI poster who wants to co-sign and nut-hug other posters instead of just say what the f_ck they have to say...

Let me ask you some questions: On a percentage basis, how many black players make up the NFL? I'm willing to bet if you were to poll the number of African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Asian-Americans, there would be NO DOUBT the larger number of minority Americans who follow the NFL will be in favor of the African-American community.

The thing is, there isn't enough of a following from the Asian-American and Hispanic-American community for them to actually care.

Isn't ironic that among the players who play in the NFL over 60% are black and only 22% are African-American coaches?

And don't even get me going on the NCAA.

So how about you s*it can the lame ass sarcasm and just say what the f_ck you gotta say?

As for: "if playing the race card is unwarranted, then those being accused of racism will play the reverse race card unwarranted." is straight bulls_it.

How the hell do you know if it's unwarranted or not? How do you know who on RI is saying that the Rooney Rule is unfair or racist because they don't want to see a minority head coach?

Goes to show how many posts you actually read up here. There are some, but not all, people who don't like Jason Campbell simply because he is black. I know because I've read some of these post form the ignorant bastards.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 3, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree about Grimm!

Let's cut the "good ol days" crap. The 80's are long gone. Whole different ball game from mauling D-lineman to coaching. Grimm's legacy here would be tarnished by fair weather fans.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 3, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I saw a guy say Haynesworth is a cancer & compared him to Arenas... I don't think so... I think Big Al wants to win & he knows what he does best but because he isn't being used that way is lashing out... every play he is looking for a stunt/blitz/or anything that will provide him with one on one or something that allows him to attack the football & that isn't happening.

Mike Zimmer would be an excellent coordinator... as I have stated here... I was hoping that Slowik was a bad report for D coord. & it appears that Shanahan understands that he is not that guy but should be a positions coach... if that is the case... sweet!

Posted by: tony325 | January 3, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

You're one year too late, Haynesworth. Now that you see that your job is in peril, you decide to report in shape. Shanahan is not going to tolerate laziness. Being signed as a Redskin is not an invitation to premature retirement.

Posted by: GABinOdenton | January 4, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse