Haynesworth, Jacobs Wage Battle of the Bigs

It's Wednesday, which is always a good day for media to collect quotes and sound bites that will help shape game coverage leading up to the weekend. The best thing out of the Redskins' locker room today came from defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, preparing for his regular-season debut in burgundy and gold. Apparently, he's not scared about facing 6-foot-4, 264-pound running back Brandon Jacobs.

Jacobs might have lit up LaRon Landry in last year's season-opener, but it's going to be a bit harder to rattle Haynesworth, who doesn't seem the least bit intimidated by Jacobs' size.

"They all fall the same, so it doesn't really matter. None of them are bigger than me, so it doesn't really matter to me," Haynesworth said. "What is he, 250? I weighed 250 when I was in the 10th grade."

It didn't take long for that to reach Jacobs. Bob Glauber, the NFL columnist for Newsday, tweeted Jacobs' response this afternoon: "When I was in 10th grade, I was 242 pounds ... running the ball."

By Rick Maese  |  September 9, 2009; 1:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dockery's Ex-Teammate Seems Unlikely Fit
Next: Smith Clarifies Cartwright's Role

Comments

hyemp

Posted by: BMACattack | September 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Love it! Welcome back NFL!

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs is not long for this league!

Posted by: OMFG | September 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

now thats what I am talkin bout, I smell Football

"Put the woman and children to bed and lets go looking for dinner"

"We must protect this house"

"Kill em all and let the paramedics sort them out"

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope Big Al can back it up, cause Jacobs is no joke.

That being said, I love a little trash talk and I love having a guy on our team who will do it.

Can't wait for DatBoy45 to jack up AP too....

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

But Mr. JACOBS you didn't grow any larger. Mr. HAYNESWORTH did. O.K. big AL time to start earning that nickname, "MONEYSWORTH." Sounds like our man is out to hurt somebody.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I Love it! Get em' BIG AL. Introduce your girth to Jacobs. "They all fall the same, so it doesn't really matter." That was Great!

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 9, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Jamon Meredith - Practice squad addition to Packers

Ryp, I'm pretty sure that big al can back it up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Lol.....sounds like Shooter in Happy Gilmore....you eat pieces of poo for breakfast?......noooo

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like the biggest man in the house with talent and something to prove. Oh yeah. The GIANTS TEAM might win this game, but Mr. JACOBS isn't gonna' do it all by himself that's for sure.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Not that he'll get too many cracks at him. Look for the G-men to block down on big Al and run everything off tackle at Carter/Orakpo/Wilson.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Got beeped again. It's like I'm new Cork. Repost:

Call me stoopid, and with a perpetually pessimistic blog handle of 4-12 I can't blame you, but the "we should have drafted ___________ in the ________ round" angst seems silly, since we'll be cheering our guts out in four short days for our boys in the lavender and maroon! Time to go dance with the dogs we brought to the party.
HTTR!

Posted by: 4-12 | September 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am very curious to see exactly how many plays they will be resting Haynesworth…..hopefully not too many. Can’t wait to see him in full on, non pre-season action! Tough getting work done this week…..

I wonder if they were reading the prior thread on this blog, to have asked Big Al such a question....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

[in voice of Kaboose] It's like they're in my head... reading my thinks...!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Jamon Meredith - Practice squad addition to Packers

Ryp, I'm pretty sure that big al can back it up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Then ESPN had it wrong, I still stick by the comment that we would have been no worse off drafting him or any of the other available tackles in the middle rounds than we are now with 2 of those 3 picks already cut and Henson barely beating out Young for last on the depth chart linebacker......

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm reading Jacobs response thinking, 'well, isn't that a bold retort'. Did Jacobs think they were just comparing heights and weights in high school? What difference does it make? Our boy is 100 lbs heavier. I'd like to see how many times the jints run at Mr. Haynesworth. Bring it. GOD, I am glad football is back. Put up or shut up boys.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs is like every other big back: if you can hit them in the backfield before they can build up a head of steam, they are easy to tackle as a West Virginia prom date. I want to see Haynesworth put an exclamation point on that hit. I want to see him get in Jacobs face after he starts to get up. Attitude. Bring it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs didn't mention that he was eighteen in 10th grade...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs is easy to stop anywhere but short yardage and goal line, just don't do what Landry did and go low, Laron just thought he was bigger than he is lesson learned, I think you'll dirty 30 as that blur coming in from the top of your screen taking out his knees from now on not trying to bring the big boy pads and go high.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I've been imagining Haynesworth popping Jacobs since we acquired him. I got tired of Jacobs mugging on the sidelines during both games. He definitely was feeling himself when he trucked Landry last year. With Big Al and Daniels on the line this year the Giants can forget that mess they did in the opener last year running over undersized Jason Taylor.

Posted by: moseley_brian | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@ 10th grade, Jacobs 242 lbs..? A high sophmore @ that weight would be considered a lineman, not a RB.. I question his validity.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

PAskins, we weren't drafting for a starter at corner just like we wouldn't have been draft for a starter at tackle. I don't know why people keep saying Loadholt, I know he went in round 2, I know we had no shot at him, but he wasn't the only tackle in the draft, at least 2 of our mid-round picks should have been spent on Oline, instead we picked 2 LBs one who was cut and the other barely beat out Darrell Young an undrafted FA and a FB who was cut. Why would we have been any worse of by drafting a young tackle and seeing if he panned out over BMW?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zjfr:

Dude, you're not supposed to make sense here. This is a blog.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I think we are better off seeing what happens with BMW this year and seeing what falls to us in the draft next year. I like best player available and think you shouldn't reach for players. We need upper round drafted linemen because they can only do one thing and that's be backup linemen. Linebackers can play special teams. That's why we chose to take middle round linebackers over middle round linemen. Backup offensive linemen can not play teams. I'd rather roll with BMW this year and the guys we did draft. Next year we can use our first 2 picks on quality linemen that will start or be primary backups.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

lol.. "high-school sophmore".. excuse me.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

My WVa prong date had a beard and smelled like Doritos.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Watch the film again. That's not what happened at all. Landry was flying over there just to get in Jacobs' way. He didn't have his legs under him at all. Not Landry's fault. He even said after the game he was just hoping to slow him down so help could get there. He ddin't have a legit shot at the tackle.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 9, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

My WVa prong date had a beard and smelled like Doritos.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

They all do.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I think "Big Al" will have plenty of help this time out. The linebackers are all a lot bigger this time out. If Wilson steps in for McIntosh you have four DE sized fast guys on the edges with bulldogs in the middle.

Blache wants to stop the run not just rush the passer.

Posted by: periculum | September 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

whats a 'prong date'.....I grew up above the mason dixon line, so I'm not sure??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

they are easy to tackle as a West Virginia prom date.

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Not having gone to a prom in WVa, just wondering if you'd care to share that experience up here ... in more detail

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

He ddin't have a legit shot at the tackle.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 9, 2009 2:21 PM

yeah @ bad angle. & bad timing, too. Jacobs got open and he was fast. Took the defense by surprise.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

BMW wasn't on the team when we drafted, he was an emergency plan and second if we needed those midround LBs so badly why did only one barely make it? Mid Round Olineman are the meat of any team and are usually primary backups early that develop into starters late. Rarely do Guards or Centers go high, Tackles are the only lineman that consistently go high but the 3rd to 5th round plenty of primary backups and eventual starters are taken, just go to any team (other than the Redskins of course) and look at their depth charts and where they were drafted....LT is usually 1st or 2nd round, RT is usually 2nd or 3rd round and the rest are latter than that. Besides, what did we/do we need more quality oline depth or special teams LBs that you can find of the street? You and Vinny must have gone to the same school of team building.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree that if Samuels, or Heyer for that matter, our line is in deep deep doodoo, Orakpo was the right pick, adding him to rush the edge after the Haynsworth signing was the right move. The mistake was the Orakpo pick, it was the Barnes pick, a 3rd round tackle for a team desperate for quality depth would have been a lot better than drafting a guy that high to be your 4th or 5th corner. (we knew CR22, Dhall, and Smoot were our top 3).

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If?

My friend, is not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" regarding Chris Samuels.

He could not make it out of training camp without the need to start "managing" his snaps and sit him out of practices.

If you think he's gonna hold up for 16 games, you are truly out there.

And I disagree that Orakpo was the "right" pick. I'm glad that he looks like he can play, but with the AH contract and DHall contract, we'd already deeply invested in the defense. Frankly it looks like Chris Wilson would have been able to hold down the strong-side LB position just fine.

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moseley_brian | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM

For me it’s about shutting A.P. the he11 up. I will never forget the shots of him kicking back on the bench last year when they took it to us at Fedex…I will never forget that smug look of self righteousness on his face. I am so tired of being kicked around by this Giants team. We really need to smash them in the face right out of the gate and kick them around for a full 60 minutes. Hopefully our defense will show some meanness and swagger…as a team. I liked DHall and Smoots smak-in it up in the preseason. Need a few more guys to show that mean streak…hopefully Big Al and O’Sackpo will toughen them up. Our dline is good, but nobody really acts mean…

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 9, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"got open and he was fast. Took the defense by surprise."

Now.. see why I missed Riggins. Reminds me of that SB run.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Neither Langston Walker nor Levi Jones are the answer to any sort of problems. There's a reason the Bills QBs (Trent Edwards and JP Losman before him) and the Bengals QB (Palmer) are perpetual injury cases, and there's a reason both guys were cut. You don't spend multi-millions on guys who protect like that. This team goes into the season with what they have and (hopefully) drafts a solution next year.

Posted by: psps23 | September 9, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Right.

Why spend multi-millions on so-so linemen, when you can spend a few hundred grand on linemen that absolutely suck?

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

My WVa prong date had a beard and smelled like Doritos.

Posted by: DikShuttle

That's the type of girl that was too good to date her own family. You don't have to look far for the really good ones...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

T minus 4 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and counting...

I can almost smell the bratwurst cooking...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs come back was LAME!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 2:30 PM

Let's ask Buges that. He might say they were medium.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see a Jacobs/Stompsworth collision.

Jacobs will probably tweek a knee before that happens.

Seriously, can you recall another RB that was both a big bruiser and an injury wuss like Jacobs?

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Regardless what Landry was trying to do, that was one of the most vicious hits that I have ever seen. LaRon put some bigtime hits on people in college and I am sure that it was pretty humbling to get layed out like that on national TV. Hopefully, he will take it as a learning experience and look to get some revenge this year. You would think that someone with as much pride as Landry woudl want to even the score. At least I hope so.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | September 9, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

BMW most certainly was a factor when we drafted. He wasn't on the team but he already worked out for us and we liked what we saw. BMW is closer to starting than a 5th round tackle would have been. The thing is that you keep glossing over the fact that since we chose to improve our depth at cornerback and at linebacker/special teams instead of offensive line that we no longer have depth issues at cornerback and linebacker/special teams. If we would have drafted an olinemen then we would still need another cornerback or LB/special teams guy. You can't have it all. Going after the LBs that got cut is hindsight. You can easliy make the argument that a drafted tackle would have been cut and replaced by either BMW or Batiste. You must have went to the same hindsight school as peter king because you sure love to mmqb. We had 3 needs. We need CBs, LBs/Teams, and a tackle. We had BMW so that made the choice pretty clear. It was the correct choice.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 9, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NCMatt1 | September 9, 2009 2:37 PM

On national television.. you can bet Snyder's yelling Steinbrenner-like @ Cerrato, "WHY didn't we GET this guy Jacobs!?!"

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

A prong date is asking your best friend to go gigging on Saturday night.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

All 53 players were participating in practice, including CB Carlos Rogers, RG Randy Thomas, RB Clinton Portis and DT Albert Haynesworth, who all sat out the preseason finale.

*Special teams coach Danny Smith said Antwaan Randle El is first up on punt returns and Rock Cartwright will be the kickoff returner. Devin Thomas may be on the field for kickoff returns but not right away. As for punts, Santana Moss and DeAngelo Hall were taking reps in practice.

*Count Portis has one who is impressed with the depth of the Giants' defensive line.

"Me and Ladell [Betts] were looking at their d line this morning and you have Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty coming off the bench," Portis said/marveled. "They’ll have a fresh d line and they were awesome before they came over. It’s not a challenge we’re afraid of, it’s a challenge we’re used to. When they had Strahan and Osi, it was Tuck coming off the bench."

*Andre' Woodson was another big draw for the part of the media that just discovered he was in camp with the Giants. Jason Campbell joked that it was a different feeling not being the most sought-after quarterback in the locker room.

*Campbell on opening the season: "It’s a new season and a new beginning and every team wants to go out and set a tempo for the rest of the season. A lot of times, the first game won’t dictate how things will turn out, but it’s just about getting started."

*QB Eli Manning has a career 68.1 passer rating against the Redskins (nine games) with seven touchdowns and six interceptions. The Giants are 6-3 in those games. He's reached 300 yards only once (305 last November at FedEx).

*A surprising stat is how LB Antonio Pierce has fared against the Redskins. After totaling 27 tackles in his three games/grudge matches, he has only 14 in the last four meetings.

*The Giants have seven new projected starters from the teams' 2008 season opener and the Redskins also have seven.

*After a phone call yesterday, I caught up with RB Rock Cartwright, who wanted to clarify a couple of his comments in Tuesday's RB story.

"I know my role is definitely special teams and I’m loyal to this team," Cartwright said. "I didn’t want everybody to think I’m negative and selfish. I’m a team guy."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I run a year long foot ball pool. You pick 10 games a week against the spread. Whoever has most wins at end of season wins. I use CBS sports to run league. $20 to play. Collect via paypal. If anyone wants in email me at chrislarry33 @ me dot com and I will send invite. payout in the range of $300. Great marathon not sprint pool.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Pre-camp ranking: 24
Washington Redskins
The Giants are the only NFC East team that has put together more than one 10-win season in the past four years, so why does it feel like the Redskins are perennially looking up at all three of their division rivals? I'm not quite sure, but if you believe these preseason power rankings, they'll be doing it once again in 2009.

Laughable really? 24? We were 8-8 last year and improved just about everywhere. Better receivers, punter, D-Line, pass rush.

I am happy people are putting us here, setting lower expectations for us to destroy.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 9, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Pre-camp ranking: 24
Washington Redskins

Laughable really. 24? We were 8-8 last year and improved just about everywhere. Better receivers, punter, D-Line, pass rush.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 9, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

thats from SI.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 9, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

No ROCK, I didn't think you were negative or selfish, I thought you were looking for a place to hide( read: a job ).

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moseley_brian | September 9, 2009 2:19 PM

Facts, Jason Taylor 6-6, 255lbs, Brandon Jacobs 6-4, 264lbs, Albert Haynesworth 6-6, 350lbs. Brandon Jacobs is like a Dodge Ram that can run over Oldsmobile which is Jason Taylor, now can Dodge Ram run over Mack truck Albert Haynesworth?

Posted by: abxinc | September 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

too much is made over the run that b. jacobs made last year it happens almost every week in the nfl. If washington gets more penetration up front and make jacobs a east or west runner his role will be limited. I am more concerned about o-line(how long will the starter's stay healthy(samuels and thomas especially.)and the back-ups are they ready?

Posted by: wathu19 | September 9, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse