Haynesworth, Landry fined for fracas

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and safety LaRon Landry both say they've been fined by the league for their roles in a sideline skirmish Sunday in Atlanta. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is reportedly facing a fine as well.

Following Landry's late hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, Hall found himself on the Atlanta sidelines, caught alone amid the shouting and shoving until Haynesworth entered the fracas.

"That's my teammate. I'm not going to let my teammate get jumped or beat up or anything like that," Haynesworth said today. He cracked a smile and continued: "I mean, [Atlanta coach] Mike Smith did have him pinned up over there. I can't let the old man beat up my cornerback, so I had to go over there and save him."

Smith also reportedly faces a finef or his role in the incident. Neither Haynesworth nor Landry knew the exact amount of the fines. Landry said he didn't open the envelope the league sent him. He said he'll forward it to his agent and will likely appeal the fine.

Haynesworth didn't seem as concerned.

"It's all right. We make money here, so I can pay it," he said.

Hall said Tuesday during a radio interview that he was "disheartened" more teammates didn't come to his defense on the Falcons' sideline.

"I can't speak for those other guys that's out there on the field, but whoever's out there with me, I'm ready to go to battle for 'em," Hall said on "The Lavar Arrington Show" on 106.7 The Fan. "That's just how I am, whether it's a verbal sparring or a physical sparring, I'm always ready to mix it up. And to see those guys kind of linger over there, yeah, I don't know what was going through their minds."

Defensive end Phillip Daniels explained that it's not quite so simple.

"You couldn't leave your sideline and go over there. The only ones who could go over there were the ones on the field," Daniels said. "The rules are so crazy now they say if you go over there and get involved in that, you get fined. So guys see that."

"The fewer guys over there the better. I really feel that way," Daniels continued. "I know D-Hall wanted the guys to come support him and everything, but you have to look at the whole picture. They say if you go over there you could get kicked out of the game or get fined. Of course, he explained what happened. I was on the sidelines, so I wasn't going to come over there. Albert came over and helped out. It really wasn't about that. It was about getting off the sideline. I saw their coaches putting their hands on our guys. You put your hands on your own guys.

"I'm just glad it didn't escalate into something bigger. If more guys would've went over there, it would've," Daniels said.

By Rick Maese  |  November 11, 2009; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn rules out LJ; Haynesworth says he was fined
Next: Portis called 'very, very doubtful' for Sunday

Comments

Hall was disheartened? Hall should never have been over there. Let your playin' do your talkin', MeAngelo

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

halls tackling has me disheartened...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

and sign the olb from kansas city (johnson) that should get us somewhere what do you guys think?

Posted by: jtbowhunter | November 11, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

That would be an interesting signing, but I'm not sure if he plays strongside or weakside. But I do know the guy has lots of talent and then suddenly seemed to go into the doghouse. I still don't agree on trading down though, if you can get a top notch OT with the first, that's what needs to be done. You can always pick up a good RB in the later rounds. I'd still go with either another OT or QB in the 2nd round.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 11, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow p1funk,
I make a little joke about Glenn Beck and you call me a close-minded thoughtless pigeon holer who's intolerant of other people's socio-political views. What about freedom of speech? Or do you hate that like you hate all freedom and, by logical extension, America too?

Posted by: mack1 | November 11, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

p1funk you put your self in that pigeon hole, when you use a 1984 reference, your ruffling pigeon feathers.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Really?

I didn't know that using a "1984" reference automatically made someone a Glenn-Beck idiot?

Now that I know how the pigeon-holing works, I'll be more careful in the future.

One question: If I were to use a "1984" reference to criticize George W. Bush, does that also automatically qualify me to be an idiot a-la Glenn Beck?

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow p1funk,

Posted by: mack1 | November 11, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Would you care to show me where I called you "a close-minded thoughtless pigeon holer who's intolerant of other people's socio-political views"?

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

When is Zorn going to be fined for loitering on the sidelines?
I'd like to get Edwin Williams in some games just to see how he'll hold up. Rabach needs to be gone, he's overrated and a weakling when it comes to one on one matchups.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 11, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Mike Nolan will send Dan Snyder a carton of Vanilla Icecream after his D decimates this O-line and JC? That would be funny as hell.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 11, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

He gets on my nerves. For once, make a decisive yes or no. Good grief..

Posted by: ga8085 | November 11, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The worst was last week when he said he was going to mix up punt return duties.

Then ARE says that he hadn't heard this until the press asked him.

ARE then meets with Zorn to discuss.

Next day ARE emerges again as our primary punt returner.

I swear Jim Zorn graduated from the Michael Scott school of management.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 11, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

When is Zorn going to be fined for loitering on the sidelines?

Posted by: ga8085 | November 11, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Something like that will happen at the end of the season and they kick his butt to the curb...once he's canned he's gonna lose out on some money he would have otherwise been entitled to, and that's sort of like a fine...

But "loitering on the sidelines" is a pretty good description of what he does - it's not like he calls plays or coaches or anything...

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

First of all, there was no need for D Hall to protect anyone. LL was already back on the field.

I think the larger issue is the team does not show solidarity. Also D Hall, you haven't had a positive impact since week 3. Guys may not believe in you. Especially the way you tackle.

Stop letting you mouth write checks you own ass can't cash.

Posted by: edavis291 | November 11, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | November 11, 2009 2:52 PM

That would probably eliminate him from consideration as the next head coach of the Redskins. Well, that and his performance as HC in San Francisco.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:47 PM |

And I guess you are the model of open-minded thoughtfulness that would never rush to pigeon-hole another person's socio-political views...

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:28 PM

Posted by: mack1 | November 11, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

No that would qualify you to be a bleeding heart pinko commie liberal socialist atheist. I know because I was using 1984 reference to refer to Bush and I am a bleeding heart pinko commie liberal socialist atheist.

Don't ask stupid questions attempting to be snarky.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:47 PM |

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 2:28 PM

Posted by: mack1 | November 11, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow mack.

It looks like I called you exactly the opposite of what you said I called you.

You must also be from the Ministry of Truth!

War is peace.

Slavery is freedom.

Ignorance is strength.

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Don't ask stupid questions attempting to be snarky.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

OK. Thanks for clarifying...

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Its Freedom is Slavery not the other way around.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Haynesworth and Landry were victims of Daniel Snyder putting the Sheeny Curse on them!

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | November 11, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

why is LL getting fined? The penalty for a late hit is 15 yards. The refs called it and that should be it for LL. He was walking away after the hit.

Yeah, the stuff on the ATL sidelines had more to do with ATL than Albert or Hall.

Worth noting, early in the game, one of the ATL guys tackled one of our guys (might have been Rock on a kick return) several yards out of bounds. Wasn't a nasty hit, but it was clearly very late. No call.

Also worth noting, following that fracas, we got into Ryan's grill in a big way and definitely rattled him. In the drive after the late hit, there was a bogus roughing call on Lorenzo, a sack and an intentional grounding. Ryan got hit hard and was definitely fazed for the rest of the game. Unfortunately, Michael Turner wasn't fazed ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I knew Dan Snyder was broker than we thought!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

p1funk way to earn the idiot label.

Posted by: mack1 | November 11, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Blog taking on off season stench. Must be b/c Skins best season is off season so the fall/early winter months are actually our dead time...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

veep

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2009 3:11 PM

Zeke--That's where the Atlanta players and coaches are supposed to be, on their sideline. Neither Hall nor Haynesworth had any business over there. Those still pics that were on Steinberg's blog showed that LL had already cleared the area when Hall went over there.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

According to the video, Hall was trying to get away from the sideline when Coach Fish grabbed him and then Coach Smith thought it was Hall who hit Ryan and Smith got in Hall's grill (Smith was complaining to the refs right after the hit so he did not see Landry leave the scene.) The Falcons' coaches should also be fined.

The refs were wrong not to penalize the Falcons bench at all for making the situation worse by surrounding Hall and not letting him leave their sideline until Big Al had to get involved.

The refs were also wrong not to penalize the Falcons for the illegal helmet-to-helmet hit (I looked it up on nfl.com) on Portis that took place right in front of two refs.

Not sure why the media (both the ones calling the game and the ones convering the teams after the game) are not focusing on the helmet-to-helment hits that are causing all of these concussions.

On MNF, the Steelers' Harrison had one on the Broncos RB that was illegal too, but nothing was mentioned by the ESPN crew, except that Harrison 'lit up' the RB. If it's illegal, make the call or get rid of the rule.

Posted by: G-SHOK | November 11, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES!!!!!! THEY MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY FOR US TO CARE ABOUT WHO WAS RIGHT OR WRONG!!!!! This stuff happens in football EVERY WEEK!!! Stop hating on Hall or the Falcons. The media is hyping it in an effort to stir up an already buzzing hornets nest. Maybe Hall thought someone was going after Landry! Maybe Smith didn't like something Hall said! Does it MATTER? WE STILL STINK! And it's NOT Halls fault, its our CRAPPY OFFENSE! So lets focus our energy into getting Cerrato fired, and stop having wet dreams about Dan selling the team or throwing blame on EVERY player who does something wrong during a game. When Cerrato gets canned we will all be back next year with high expectations.

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth didn't seem as concerned.

"It's all right. We make money here, so I can pay it," he said.

Fat Albert surely didn't say the above, did he? I know everyone will say I'm piling on but that right there is the attitude that we need to get rid of on this team.

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

p1funk = funkey

I know it's you funkey. Give up the gig. You don't want to talk football. You want to get under everyone's skin. And remember:

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

If you go to youtube and watch the replay you will see CLEARLY Hall is the FIRST to engage #51 Demorrio Williams of the Falcons after he helps landry up off the turf. It is then Mr. Fish comes into the fray whether it be right or wrong. He will probably draw a fine as will Hall. Hall is a loser, distraction, and a moron that is overpaid. I won't defend his or any other players actions that i deem in poor taste.

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey D-hall. How bout mixing it up with a running back, on the field, during the game...its called a tackle. Try it next week. Get your focus there instead of trying to "mix it up" off the field and after the whistle.

Posted by: pmiller33 | November 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The Bottom Line(s):

Landry made a bad hit, he's prone to doing that. [Should be no fine, just dumb late hit]

Hall went over to make sure Landry was out, then got pulled in further. [no fine for Hall at this point]

NO coach needs to physically grab an opposing player. [Fineworthy for BOTH coaches on Falcons who got involved]

Look at the video, one of the Falcons' coaches whacks Hall (kind of stupid when you have NO protective gear, but I digress...)...which is when Hall jumps back in. [On the fence for Hall, fine-wise here]

Haynesworth made a good teammate, but, bad thinking decision to go get mixed up in it and get Hall out. [Fineworthy]

Any questions?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 11, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

ThinkingMan,
You need glasses or a better computer or your looking at a different video than the one on youtube. It is clear that after Hall helps Landry up Hall engages #51 Demorrio Williams and then Fisher grabs Hall. Plain as day. Haynesworth has been fined and here is what he has too say.

Haynesworth didn't seem as concerned.
"It's all right. We make money here, so I can pay it," he said. $nyder is creating monsters with all the money he is dishing out. What a freakin disgrace.

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Redskins = irony

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hall and Haynesworth are two PRIME examples of what is wrong with this franchise. They are two overpaid, overrated players who came here to get paid big bucks by the Redskins. Neither of them are going to ever make the Redskins a strong team and now we've got a ton of money tied up in both of them. Typical, fantasy football league signings by the Dan Snyder & Vinny Cerratto management team.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 11, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Hall exemplifies one of the team's problems - lack of discipline, every man for himself, absence of 'team'. Those problems lay at the feet of the GM - and the owner in putting up with it. The head coach is also responsible and the D coach. We can't win with players like Hall who are mostly talk (trash talk) and not much play on the field. They need to get rid of these over-rated players, and build around the smart players, ones who don't seek a fight on the other team's side of the field.

Posted by: bfjam | November 11, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

when will the NFL issue fines for the falcons coach and assistant...Remember this Falcons.... Karma

Posted by: Mark99 | November 11, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mark99

You sound like D. Hall. I don't care about the Falcons. Hall should not had put himself in that situation in the first place. And to whine about a 60 year old picking on him.

Posted by: hessone | November 11, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Will Jim Zorn please start tucking in Hall, Haynesworth, and Landry? It is apparent that they are incapable of taking care of themselves.

Landry can't seem to hit anyone on the field, so he has taken to hitting them off the field. (He finds it much easier!) In the case of Hall, his mouth has gone into overdrive, but the rest of his body is stuck in neutral!

Posted by: wheeljc | November 11, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse