Haynesworth on the Brady Crunch

Albert Haynesworth may not send a get-well-soon balloon bouquet to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, but that doesn't mean he wasn't concerned about the injury Brady may or may not have suffered when Haynesworth drove him to the ground late in the second quarter.

"I mean, it wasn't like I was hitting Gisele or something; he's the quarterback. It was good, it was fine," Haynesworth told Dan Steinberg, he of the D.C. Sports Bog. "I mean, I was trying to tackle him, but I wasn't trying to hurt him. I'm not that type of a player, you know? I'm actually a big Tom Brady fan. I'm a big Patriots fan. I've always like the Patriots, I've always liked Coach Belichick. I just like the way [Brady] is."

As for Brady's injury (officially a sore shoulder), Patriots Coach Bill Belichick said only, "I'm sure he's got some bumps and bruises like everybody else who played in the game." And, when asked what doctors had said of the injury, Belichick added: "He didn't play in the second half."

Injury Update

Safety Kareem Moore strained a hamstring in the third quarter and did not play the rest of the game. Running back Marcus Mason bruised his ribs in the fourth quarter.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 29, 2009; 12:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Plethora of Penalties Disappoints Zorn
Next: Hall, Brennan Move on from Pats Game

Comments

Oh, Mr. Haynie, how we're coming to love you...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 29, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

"I've always like the Patriots."

Someone obviously wasn't on the roster when the Patriots embarrassed Joe Gibbs 52-7 in a disgusting display of whatever you'd call the opposite of sportsmanship.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 29, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah we got a plethora.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 29, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

They keep showing Albert's tackle on ESPN. Dude can't keep his shirt tucked in to save his life...

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Guapo, when do you think Carmen will open up her flower to you?

Toniiiight. Or I weel KEEL HER!

Posted by: freakzilla | August 29, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Marcus Mason needs to be on this football team. I think he's both proved it and earned it.

There's a road that the on-the-bubble guys travel, and most of them fall off or just give up before they get to Mason's point in the journey. He's still swingin', and tonight he performed well against first-stringers, something he hasn't gotten much chance to show.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 29, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Agreed re: Mason

Posted by: ocskins | August 29, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

oh yea, haynesworth never tries to just hurt somebody....

Posted by: anonymous35 | August 29, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan should start. He has looked AWESOME this preseason. 19 wins for sure...

Posted by: jwlemons | August 29, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

anybody have a link to you tube or comcast of Blache blowing up on Trevor Matich, dame it was funny last night watching him go off about the pass rush

Posted by: stivic | August 29, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

nevermind I just caught it on comcast, it is even funnier this morning. fair question but blache is the king of soundbites

Posted by: stivic | August 29, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwlemons | August 29, 2009 6:42 AM

You ought to try to get a little more sleep. You're not a morning person.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Got to give Blanche props for a lot. A Solid DC, a old school guy, Still wears a 21 on his shirt. Defended Coach Gray on the penalty from the bench, which Blanche said Gray was flagged for cursing at the Ref, but claims that Gray does not curse.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Things I loved about last night's game

Loved how the defense adjusted their scheme as the game went along.

Loved how the offense stayed composed after 3 straight 3 and outs and made plays.

Loved the aggressive play calling.

Loved Campbell's decision making and arm.

Loved Devin Thomas on kick return. I thought it got him into the game, plus he's more explosive than Rock.

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I thought DT looked good on his 3 caches, his moves on the screen pass was shifty.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

from Mike Wise

"Campbell needed this... thread a beautifully thrown ball to Santana Moss - a spiral that just evaded the Patriots' defensive back...."

Yesterday, someone laughed at the thought that Jason Campbell and the redskins' offense needed to take the Pats preseason game seriously.

Wise's wise comment shows why that laughter needed to stop.

It is now obvious that an offense of Moss/Colley/Portis supplemented with decent blocking, Marcus Mason, Marko Mitchell, Devin Thomas, and #17 slinging the ball upfield is doable and productive.

The cuts will come, the dregs players--like Colt Brennen--will go.

But the core of the redskins' offense has some nice new edges now that the team went out and played the pats with regular season intensity.

You can stop laughing now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"Colt Brennan should start."

Colt Brennen is as over-rated as tweeting.

Any film studying defensive player will notice he turns his hips and shoulders to the side where he intends to throw--he doesn't drop back squared up, then release quickly to an open receiver.

You can do that against WAC db's but not the crafty Ed Reed-lite types dominating NFL rosters.

The interception returned for a touchdown wasn't lucky. The touchdown pass he threw was.

Again: I'd shoot colt and chase Daniels.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I'd shoot colt and chase Daniels.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 8:19 AM

MistaMoe is a morning person! An afternoon person! And the rest of the day, too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"Chad Dukes from the LaVar show, will be crying all weekend till his show starts. The QB he wants to have relations with playing like he probably shouldn't be on the team. The QB he did nothing but complain about looked damn good."

Posted by: alex35332

Oh I can't wait bro. Dukes is str8 annoying with his buttsecks crush on Colt. Any one person, especially the Cult of Colt donkeys, who thinks that Colt should start over J Cam should be sent to Abu Ghraib.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | August 29, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

That ref had a toupee up his a**- he had a slight sneer all night and looked like the Menstrual Motrin wasn't helping. He wanted to spray the whole game with a .50 caliber machine gun, but he couldn't slip it past security..

Posted by: frak | August 29, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Zorn sure does seem like he wants Mitchell. "He beat the DB so bad that thats one of our rules. What he did was veteran, it was big league."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The redskin offense we all saw last night was a nice thing to see.

The kazillion penalties weren't.

The sight of Randy Moss abusing DeAngelo Hall was unnerving up until you realized there's tape of him posterizing countless NFL db's over the years.

Another nice thing to see was Derrick Dockery and Randy Thomas leading the ol' Green Bay power sweep with Mason following--a play that died in the skins' playbook the day Dock when to the Bills.

Oddly, we didn't see much of ARE which is unusual for a guy who'll keep the wide receivers we'd rather see off the field.

ARE's is a name and number I'd also like to see on a cut list.

But I doubt we'll see that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 29, 2009 8:58 AM

lol frak you made my morning! good 1!

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 29, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't see how Marko Mitchell doesn't make the team at this point. The TD was great but I was most impressed with the downfield blocking on the Cooley catch. So what if he can't play special teams? It doesn't look like anyone else on that team can either. (although I thought Devin Thomas did a nice job at KR)

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 29, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

ARE's is a name and number I'd also like to see on a cut list.

But I doubt we'll see that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 9:19 AM |

Nah, he's a good fifth reciever. Didn't see Eloi out there, that usually means first 5 cut.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 29, 2009 9:21 AM

Marko had a special teams tackle and a whiff.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

...Compared to Brady, Cambell still sucks. He takes forever to get the ball out of his hands and his field vision is very limited. on those first 3-4 drives, he had time (if he had even a decent release) and open receivers up the middle and on opposite side of the field. You could clearly see it from the stands, counting one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand--throw the darn ball! Unfortunately while the other QB we put out there has a quicker release, he sucks too--appears to have good field vision but no patience to let the play develop--maybe has ADD or something. The offensive line seems locked into pass protection with help from RBs and TEs, but cant seem to move the pile on running plays. They no longer seem to have the ability to dominate the run game--just have gotten too old and they have no decent replacements available; the team is void of quality young stud O-linemen. Its going to be a long year for CP and Betts, who look a step slow compared to NE's top RBs. On the defensive front I noticed Albert was always blocked by two linemen, so where was the pass rush from the other 3 guys? None where able to beat their man one on one. Overall an average to poor display of talent in the trenches on both sides (sans Albert) of the ball for the Redskins and they clearly dont have anything close to a top tier NFL QB on their roster. Once again thank you for your fine work Vinnie....not.

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 29, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

"Zorn sure does seem like he wants Mitchell."

If he does, then does his dream wide receiver depth chart match this?:

S Moss (slot)
M Mitchell
D Thomas (slot)
M Kelly
A Randle El

If it does match this, then it's more than a dream.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

oddjob

"They no longer seem to have the ability to dominate the run game--"

If you can get regular production out of the pass game, the run game will come.

Teams play '8 in the box' against the skins as they are know as a running, not passing team--that's how it so easy to shut down the offense's primary threat: Portis.

Plus: Zorn didn't feature the running game, so why the beef about it?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Every single person on the offensive side of the ball mentions Marko in their interviews.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Albert sent Tom to MRI land- I don't really ho[pe hes badly wounded, but we did the AFC East a service if he is, cuz that Brady to Moss Express can roll

Posted by: frak | August 29, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I've always like the Patriots."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 29, 2009 1:02 AM

Maybe its just me, but somehow it bothers me that I get so emotional about a loss and can get truly angry and seem to care more than the players. I love AH on the skins roster and what he's going to help us be able to do...and I dont begrudge him for how he feels, but thats kind of a slap to the face of a fan at home. I'm sure it wasn't delivered that way or even considered but it is. Call me old fashioned but I long for the days when the players were my heroes and they hated the opponent as much as I did.

Posted by: scottmando | August 29, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see Eloi out there, that usually means first 5 cut.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:23 AM

Hackett, either. They'll cut him so that he can "catch on with another team." I think the WRs are set. To start:

1. Moss
2. Kelly
3. ARE
4. Thomas
5. Mitchell

But, by the end of the year, the order will probably change as Thomas and Mitchell get more game experience.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 29, 2009 9:37 AM

The rest of the AFC East commentators are looking forward to the results of Brady's shoulder. If the injury's severe enough to keep him out for at least half of the season, they'll hoist Fat Al on their shoulders. And may need an MRI test afterward.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 29, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree with that set of receivers TE

Posted by: scottmando | August 29, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 29, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I noticed this too. It seemed the refs were throwing flags on every other play, and enjoying it! That one on someone yelling from the sidelines was absolutely redonkulous. When was the last time you saw that in an NFL game? Coaches don't get T'd up here!

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

1. Moss
2. Kelly
3. ARE
4. Thomas
5. Mitchell

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 9:43 AM

I saw Hackett out there but only briefly.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Compared to Brady, Cambell still sucks.

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 29, 2009 9:26 AM

Duh...Tom Brady is a future Hall of Famer master of the obvious. Brady's play doesn't negate a solid showing by Campbell. This is what I don't appreciate from Campbell bashers, they always look to the negative.

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Pluses and minuses from the game:

Pluses:

1. Campbell showed signs of being a better than average QB. Missing Moss long was not good, but there were other things that looked nice, like him faking out that dude on the 3 yd line with a pump of all things.
2. Smoot looked like his old self.
3. The WRs continue to improve and Mitchell looks like the real deal.
4. The OL has turned out better than most had any right to expect, at least so far. It will be a long season and let's hope there are no injury problems like last year.

Minuses:

1. Moss owned Hall bad. Are the Skins going to have another case of big contract remorse with this dude?
2. Penalties.
3. Brennan continued to play himself off the team.
4. Cooley looked like a OT on that 73 yd catch and run. How could he be so slow?

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 29, 2009 9:45 AM

Skip the shoulder hoist. How about they pay part of his signing bonus? Or the fine that the comish is sure to drop on him for violating Brady's personal space?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 9:55 AM

Moss owns a lot of DBs in the league, including Laron Landry last night. Should we have remorse about Landry, too?

The 'Skins need to adjust how they play a receiver like Moss. Jam him at the line and provide safety help. That's on Blache for not adjusting.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"...Or the fine that the commish is sure to drop on him for violating Brady's personal space?"

I have to agree witht the sentiments expressed here.

Brady is a star in a star-driven league.

Why would anyone not want to see him at his best?

Plus: we've already penciled in the '09 AFC Championship game: Big Ben v. Tom Teriffic in the cold and snow.

It won't get any better than that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"but that doesn't mean he wasn't concerned about the injury Brady may or may not have suffered when Haynesworth drove him to the ground late in the second quarter."

Had they not been playing on natural turf it would have been the end of Brady's career.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 10:00 AM

I think Blache came into the game wanting to work on their bliz packages, but realized that that strategy would get them blown out. After the Pats got to 17 points, the skins started to play less aggressively.

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"...by the end of the year, the order will probably change as Thomas and Mitchell get more game experience."

That's why my list:

S Moss (slot)
M Mitchell
D Thomas (slot)
M Kelly
A Randle El

Is more practical and realistic.

Get Mitchell (wide) and Moss (slot)and Kelly/Thomas (flanker) on the field as much as possible so if there's a playoff push, they're primed, experienced and ready to contribute.

ARE is just collecting a check in my world.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Oddjob, besides Peyton Manning, everyone sucks compared to Tom Brady.

The Patriots have a ton of continuity on the o-line & the coaching staff. The Patriots offense is like a Ferrari compared to the Redskins' Chevy Cavalier. Comparing Campbell to the best of the best just isn't fair.

I liked what I saw last night. It seemed the defense started slow, then got fired up and began to pressure Brady. Campbell & Zorn were bold & daring, slinging the ball around & taking shots. This is what I want to see at the Meadowlands on Sept 13.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Glad I finally could see an entire preseason game...here's a few thoughts:

- Where the hell was Chase Daniel? Dude lit it up last week and he gets zero burn in favor of the incredible shrinking Colt. Unless Zorn was giving Colt enough rope to hang himself (and he did), I don't get what was served by not playing Chase at all.

- Campbell looked good. That throw to Moss on the sideline was on the money and a nice grab by Santana. Great play on the rush TD he had. He did have couple of plays where he missed guys because he held it too long, but he is what he is. Still far and away the best QB on the roster and likely better than whatever the FO thinks they're getting next year.

- This is the first time I've seen Marcus Mason play against first-teamers and he looked pretty good. He played well enough to make me feel good about him making the team and while I still don't see him as a significant upgrade over Betts and Cartwright, his youth and upside may give him the edge.

- There were waaaay too many penalties in this game. We can only hope that this was the team working out the kinks in the preseason, but I felt like I was watching a Norv Turner team. Never a good thing.

Overall, the starters played the Pats to a tie in the first half. Very good in my book. But one of the many problems this team has is playing good football for 60 minutes. They looked pretty good the first 30 minutes of this one...hopefully they can keep it going the whole game once they count.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 29, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 10:00 AM |

How bad was it? Until I had a chance to see the uni # I thought they had "10 yd cushion" Tryon covering Moss. Which is a mystery because Hall is supposed to have good one-on-one cover skills. But it is the preseason so mebbe we should give the guy a mulligan on this game. Still ... . BTW, Moss may own a lot of DBs in the league but he shouldn't be owning the $50 M DB dudes.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

ARE is just collecting a check in my world.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 10:07 AM

Moe, let's not go into "your world." He's not playing in your world. In the NFL last year he put up good numbers. He was #42 in the league which would rank him in the top third of #2 receivers. And, he should never have been playing as #2, except Kelly and Thomas weren't up to the job. Maybe they'll step up this year in which case he'll be great this year in the slot.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I remember hearing Zorn say he was only going to play Colt after Campbell came out. I think Zorn wants to keep Colt because he was here all last season (and knows the timing of Zorn's dink & dunk offense), but with "Daniel Chase" playing so well, he can't pick Colt outright.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 10:15 AM

$50 million doesn't buy what it once did in the NFL.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Gotta say this crow I'm eating for breakfast ain't half bad. Way to finally let it go JC! I'm hoping his confidence improves and this performance carries over to the regular season. Some are still nit picking over missing WR's and holding the ball too long. He played great for JC, and the catch on the sideline by Moss was spectacular. Agreed Cooley is SLOoooooW! Marcus Mason needs to be on the team IMO.

I'd like to see Marko, Kelly and Moss as the starting 3 WR's. ARE could be traded.

HTTR

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I don't get what was served by not playing Chase at all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 29, 2009 10:11 AM |

After that terrible int 99 yd return for a TD Zorn could have said to himself "why fart around" and yanked Brennan right then and there and put Daniel in. BTW, it doesn't hurt that Chase and Snyder share the same name.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Well, I liked what I saw other than RANDY MOSS running free in the REDSKINS secondary. HAYNESWORTH began changing his name to MONEYSWORTH last night. Impressive. I mean PATRIOTS o-line is not chopped liver. But the REDSKINS made it look like swiss-cheese on occasion. Good to see PHILLIP DANIELS coming to play.

PORTIS had no chance running, no chance. First team o-line did a poor job of run blocking early on, and had a little difficulty on pass protection. But they held their own for the most part IMO. The second o-line was lost and wandering in the wilderness against the NE first team defense. That's understandable. I thought BATISTE was better at RT this time around. Saw JEREMY BRIDGES whiff on a block in the third or fourth quarter at LT, don't remember which. Unimpressed. MONTGOMERY got a hold, but looked O.K. HAGENS had a nice catch, but he will NOT beat out MITCHELL who will be our fifth receiver. Catches TD's, blocks after a reception for the ball-carrier, runs good routes, smart; shoot, what else is there in a 6'5" receiver?

COLT BRENNAN got a TD, but early and late he placed himself squarely on the bubble with that pick. Second time around, you know the CB is gonna' be sitting on that route. Gotta' put a little air under that throw the second time. Give the defense a little different look. And not throwing away the ball at the end, taking a sack while trying to make a play, bad decision. Caused a 51 yard FG instead of a 45 yard one. And that was the game b/c of the field position NEW ENGLAND was able to assume.

Overall, a good night. I see GREG BLATCHE was feeling his oats in the Q and A session afterward. I'll bet he doesn't get any more soft questions from TREVOR. And I'll also bet, MATICH will be ready with a response should he gets asked a question by BLATCHE again. Bad blood there. I'd bide my time if I were TM.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 29, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Plus it seemed the D-line took a long time (at least a quarter) to start pressuring Brady. I don't know if they were being intentionally "vanilla" (according to Smoot that's what happened) or they lacked intensity because it's the preseason. I don't think you can lay the blame solely at the feet of Hall for Moss having a big night.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

...hooray, after how many years, the Skins may have a starting QB who "showed signs of being a better than average QB". Give me a break. This is the best we can hope for from the starting QB. Face it reality sucks in this regard for the Skins again this year.

...plus it wasnt that "Zorn didn't feature the running game", rather Zorn COULDN'T feature the running game because the o-line no longer has the ability to pave the roads to glory. Just a couple of those draft picks Vinnie threw away is all it would have taken to give this team young studs up front who can both pass protect and clear the way for the running of CP and Aldridge (who will eventually be the #2 RB as a nice change of pace guy).

Ever notice how the Skins always seem to be patching holes, throwing money and multiple bodies at one position at a time and overpaying consistently with draft picks and excessive $ FAs...basically scrambling to fix bursts in the dam rather than improving from good to great as opportunity presents itself or with innovation (like the NE Patriots, NYG, Eagles, etc.)? Its awfully hard to win when you have the worst GM and evaluator of talent in the entire league running your ball club. Come on Danny, you pay to get the best players on the field, dont you think its worth paying the $s for even a mediocre talent in the GM position? Is it possible your ego is causing that big of a blind spot???

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 29, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

BTW, it doesn't hurt that Chase and Snyder share the same name.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 29, 2009 10:23 AM

I'm just waiting for Wheel of Fortune to catch wind of this...right now I can see some fat mouth-breather buying vowels like a moron and only then shouting out "I'd like to solve the puzzle: Chase Daniel Snyder!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Not gonna get may takers for ARE with that contract of his.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

oddjob,

I agree with needing O-lineman in the worst sort of way, and I'm fine with Aldridge or Mason as being the #2 back, Betts and ARE could be packaged and traded IMO. Still, unless you advocate starting TC, JC is the only real option we have.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Colt playing the whole game after JC came out was the football equivalent of bringing a box of kittens to the farmers' market, with a sign: "Kittins fer sale, cheep."

If the Skins get a nibble, like a sixth-round pick, great. In any case, Colt be gone.

Chase Daniel got to find his comfy spot on the sidelines, where he'll abide, Dorf-like, this season.

Posted by: farstriker | August 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Why in the world would you put Santana in the slot and have two unproven players out wide who can't touch tana's speed? We aren't the patriots our offense isnt set up for the slot guy to put up big numbers.

Posted by: murphyz | August 29, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

ARE's only catch I remember was across the middle on a short slant and he was too slow to get away from the defender. Moss in the same position runs away, maybe for a TD. Maybe I got carried away, but if Mitchell is all that and Kelly looked good too, why not? Our passing O hasn't exactly lit the league on fire that last few years. Mix it up. You could always go back to the terrible WR sets we've used the past 2 or 3 season.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

'Skins season is still a work in progress, but there does seem to be improvement. The Pats are one of the best teams around and Randy Moss will abuse any DB he pleases (irrespective of their pay cheques) this year. I think we're going to be OK. We won't beat the Jints in week 1, but I can see us being 6-2 at half way again. If we are, I can see he pass catchers being more confident and ready to make a push (yes, even ARE).

There are issues, but if Samuels stays healthy and we can win 4 divisional games, we can win 10 and be playoff-bound.

HTTR!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | August 29, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

..."Some are still nit picking over missing WR's and holding the ball too long. He played great for JC..."

This seems to be the predominant attitude on RI and it is pathetic. The RI site reeks of accepting medicrotity rather than expecting greatness from your team. I know its been a long long time since the Skins were considered anything but a joke in this league, but come on. Anything less than dominance should not be cheered acceptable for a team that pays so high a price for talent year after year. I want to see the Skins be the best in the league, not just accept that they play well in the context of comparing them to previoiusly mediocre or poor play and gross FO mismangement. To be a fan with high expectations while holding his team accountable is one thing...to be a sheep another. Please come out of the pasture.

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 29, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and people need to forget the 51-7 game. Yes, it showed Beli-cheat had no class (shocker!) but this is the NFL, not a bunch of low self-esteem school kids.

Poor St. Joe (we all love him, but he was out-coached and overpowered by a guy earning the same or less money than him), it's all a bit Gregg Easterbrook, isn't it?

If their professional pride was so stung, why didn't they go out and do something (violent) about it? I think this new squad, led by Albert, would have.

Still, it could've been worse. Remember that Bengals - Falcons game with Wyche and Glanville?

Now, THAT'S a beat-down!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | August 29, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The RI site reeks of accepting medicrotity rather than expecting greatness from your team...

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 29, 2009 10:51 AM

To do otherwise would be crazy. Literally. If the owner is mediocre, the FO is mediocre and the coaching is mediocre, to expect anything more of your players would be the very definition of insanity.

You can run up your blood pressure when the team doesn't meet your 12-4 expectations if you'd like. Since I can see this team for what it is, I'll take my 8-8 season and like it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 29, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Oddjob is right.

We are pathetic for being happy about Campbell posting 200 yards passing and leading 3 scoring drives in one half against one of the top teams in the NFL.

What a bunch of maroons we are.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 29, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: farstriker

I've never actually seen this. The only thing I've seen with kittens is "kittens free to good home." I think Alex called it last night -- Colt's headed to the UFL. Or Moe, earlier: "fire Colt, chase Daniels."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Dear Albert,

Please continue to do what you are doing. If it means that quarterbacks get hurt, oh well. None of the opposing teams have EVER stopped to think of our quarterbacks' feelings, so please continue to drill them into the ground and to make them pay for it. Perhaps if you had been around last year for the Pittsburgh game, you could have sent the second quarterback home with significant pain. As it was, we let up on him and he beat us.

I know you aren't a dirty player. It was pure joy to see Tom Brady feel human. He has this sense of entitlement that he shouldn't be hit and you sent him a message loud and clear. Imagine the horror on Tony Romo, Eli Mae Manning, and Donovan McNubb's faces when they felt the ground shake from your hit!

Bravo!

Posted by: laserwizard | August 29, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else concerned that D.Hall is averaging 1 stupid 15 yard penalty a game while only playing one half?

Posted by: mack1 | August 29, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

...baaahhh.

Posted by: oddjob1 | August 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I realize that this was a preseason game and hopefully things might be different during the season but I will have to say I was very disappointed in the number of penalties that the redskins amassed an a lot of them during crucial drives. Professional football players being paid the salaries they receive should not be making this many errors. I'm not sure who's to blame being the coaches or the players directly themselves. I am a longtime redskin fan and will root for the skins no matter what but it seems like penalties have been so prevalent in causing redskins losses over the years. Whereas the redskins showed some promise, I was wondering what happened to our well paid defensive unit that allowed 17 unanswered points before responding with other scores. I didn't see many pro bowl plays being made. I get the feeling that Coach Zorn is more of a lay back person and not one who exudes fire.

Posted by: lknight09 | August 29, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The most important thing IMO about Haynesworth's hit is that it will scare QBs every time they see it, or something like it. A shoulder injury can put anybody out of a game. A serious shoulder injury can end a career.

I guess from a coordinator's standpoint, you want the other team's QB thinking about that as he calls the signals.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse