Haynesworth returns to action, plays 'all right'

Defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth returned to the lineup Sunday in a 30-16 loss to the St. Louis Rams at the Edward Jones Dome.
Haynesworth was inactive during the Week 2 loss to Houston because of an ankle injury. Against the Rams, the two-time Pro Bowler played a lot in the Redskins' nickel package and when the line used a 4-3 front, but he was not credited with a tackle.
"I played all right," Haynesworth said. "I could always play a lot better. ... The ankle was great."
Haynesworth did not start and but was a key member of the line rotation, especially with third-string nose guard Anthony Bryant sidelined because of a concussion. Haynesworth was not used to rotating much during his all-pro seasons (2007 and '08) with the Tennessee Titans and last season with the Redskins. "That's just way we do it, and we do that in practice," Haynesworth said. "I'm getting better at it."
Apparently, many defensive players are experiencing growing pains as the transition from a 4-3 to 3-4 scheme continues. Some in the organization are privately expressing concern that the Redskins lack the personnel to make the major change.
Washington must, however, give the new defense time to work, Haynesworth said.
"We're coming into a new defense, and we've just got to feel comfortable with ourselves in this defense," Haynesworth said. "We've got to rely more on the scheme and figure out what we need to do."
Haynesworth is content with his role.
"I mean, I'm fine, playing nickel in the 4-3 and stuff like that," he said. "I'm just gonna try to get after it no matter if a start or don't start. ... It's not up to me [how much he plays]. Whenever they put me in there, I'm just going to try to help the team as much as I can."

By Jason Reid  | September 27, 2010; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Veteran punter Hunter Smith to get workout
Next: For McNabb, trip to Philly is just business

Comments

7-9. Heading towards 7-9. Disgusting display by this team. DHall was his old self, not the new improve corner we saw in the first two games.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 27, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 27, 2010; 9:00 AM ET

Guy sounds like he's resigned to being a slave. A well-paid slave, but still a slave.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

after 4-12 you have a problem w/ 7-9?! I'm happy w/ 7-9. Expectations, people...

p1 - you're an idiot... & ITA'd. You have no evidence. I do.

Bench Stompy. Don't even let him get on the field. That's the only message that would do any good. As long as they let sukkards slide, coarch's integrity will suffer. And players won't perform to their potential - they'll slack like Stompy for a paystub.

Again, I'm fine w/ whatever record, really, as long as we beat Dallas twice. & Star-burns - we beat you.

What's that?
Ok.
Uh-huh.
Shutuup.
\TrickDaddy'd

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"Apparently, many defensive players are experiencing growing pains as the transition from a 4-3 to 3-4 scheme continues."

The pains wouldn't be as noticiable if the offense could sustain drives in the 3rd quarter.

But that is another issue.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth's play was stellar when playing a 4 man front....SUSPECT when playing a 3-4. He would pick a side and the RB would run through the hole that he created....all day long.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Rak's sack came when AH was lined up next to him.

He crashed on the tackle and the guard double-teamed him. Rak stunted around up the middle scot-free and chased down Bradford from behind.

Those are the kinds of plays where AH does not show up on the stat sheet, but should get credit for helping create the play.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

AH needs to be in the game or else we can't stop the run

Posted by: mattylight | September 27, 2010 8:23 AM |

the rams ran the ball right at AH for the go ahead TD. if we can get a 4th rounder for this loser that again mailed it in, so be it !

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 8:40 AM |

Haynie jaking it in retaliation for the way Shanahan jerked his chain.

Posted by: LibertyValence | September 27, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

It is going to be a miserable 2010 for all Redskins fans because the team is going to win 6 or 7 games and the outlook is not going to be much better next season because there are going to be in the same place they were last off season. Lots of holes and few draft picks. This team looks bad on paper and on the field. I would love to hear how you think this team is going to get better over the next two years? How are they going to replace all of the older players? How are they going to improve this year? Do you see them winning 8 games this season? If so how do they get there? I just don't see it and it is disappointing when they took a win now approach in the off season.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 27, 2010 9:05 AM

First off, it's only going to be miserable for the Redskins fans who thought this was a playoff team. I thought this was an 8-8 team and if they finish strong in December as I expect, they probably will be. But asking them to look like a playoff team in Week 3 is unrealistic.

Second, you're asking me to predict the future for this team and I can't do that. Neither can you or anyone else. Players we expect to perform won't. Players we don't expect to perform will. That's the NFL...if you could predict stuff like that, you don't get Tom Brady in the 6th round or Ryan Leaf #2 overall. It's a game of chance. And if the coin flips our way, it flips our way. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I'd love to have more picks in the draft. I'd love to see us keep the 4-3 and just run a more aggressive form of it than in years past. But just because it doesn't look good in Week 3 of Year 1 doesn't mean it won't work in Week 15 this year or Week 5 of Year 2. You want answers now and I'm telling you won't get them until it's everything is given a chance to play out.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I have no problems with 7-9. That would be a massive improvement. My predicition remains unchanged from preseason. I expected we would lose at least one that was a gimme; entirely consistent with the last few years. I suspect we'll win a game that is a shocker at some point. Most of all, I am hoping we prevent Dallas from making the playoffs and heaven forbid, hosting a Superbowl. But we suck. Not as badly as last year, but still pretty badly.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 27, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

We could like revel in our loserliness, like the Aints or the Cub-losers, drop acid, dress up in Halloween costumes every day and fart in the general direction of the owner..

To the 3AM WUVT dj who cursed my nihilistic rant, take your sing-song little "college-rock" show and shove it up your a** with a 12 gauge, let me know when you play some Death Church, Erich Zann, Chamber Music For Gas Chambers..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

p1 - you're an idiot... & ITA'd. You have no evidence. I do.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Evidence? Of what?

Please, do show us your bloody glove, and keep waving the Clinton Portis flag.

He's 30 years old and afraid to get his head crushed again in the open field.

I don;t blame him...really I don't. If I had blurry vision for a month after taking that sandwich shot in Atlanta, I'd be concerned too.

The problem is that it has not become evident until game-scenarios how timid his running is.

I'm sure he was working out and practicing like a beast when there was no concern or risk of taking a real hit.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Yawn. I've seen this show before. Wake me up in March.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 27, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:20 AM

Schottenheimer lost his first five games and finished 8-8. So Shanahan's way ahead of that pace.

Lot of guys up here think that firing Schottenheimer was Snyder's worst coaching move. Okay, maybe not worst, but in the top five.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Moe - I'm kinda wonderin' what Kyle is doin' there. Stop telegraphing runs. You have to leave an RB in to develop any PA.

__________
StarBurns audio re-inforcement. P1, you can have it, too:

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

And what exact message would that be sending???

30 points per game is not enough to let up?? This defense needs all the help it can get, if anyone should get benched, it should be haslett....where were the adjustments at halftime...on BOTH sides of the ball??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

But asking them to look like a playoff team in Week 3 is unrealistic.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Playoff team?

Brown, in week 3, we are asking them to beat the Rams (minus Steven Jackson). Is that too much?

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

This team needs to spend the next few years getting rid of old guys who no longer fit the system and getting young guys to develop into the system, AT EVERY POSITION

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Kemo isn't getting it done as a straight up NT. Hopefully Bryant can play this week. If so, he should get the start. If not, let's hope Reid hasn't changed his offensive philosophy. Also, AC at OLB isn't working. He should be playing in nickle situations as a pass rusher like AH.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Second, you're asking me to predict the future for this team and I can't do that. Neither can you or anyone else. Players we expect to perform won't. Players we don't expect to perform will. That's the NFL"

Unfortunately you CAN predict the future in the NFL when it comes to old players. They don't get better, and you're lucky if they don't get worse as the season wears on.

Case in point, what we see from Rabach right now is as good as he will ever play again. That's just what happens when you get older.

Posted by: divi3 | September 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

(minus Steven Jackson)

that, to me is the most galling thing about the defensive performance yesterday....

Quick, name someone on the Rams offensive side of the ball, not named Sam Bradford, or Stephen Jackson.....yeah, thought so...

Haslett should have been put on a bus for the trip home....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Re: Portis....

I see no issue. He's like the only RB in the league that really diddn't share carries......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with brownwood, those of us that are complaining and whiney are the fools that believed the hype that this team was going to play better than their potential. I'm sorry I started to believe it.
That doesn't mean I am giving up on them, there will be improvement: this year, maybe, next year, more likely. To me it looks like the coaches need to learn as much as the players.

Posted by: monk811 | September 27, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Actually P1 (on a diff. topic) - I'm wonderin' if once they lost Jackson, Skins just didn't know what to do. That's what happened in Pittsburgh a couple or 3 years ago - we stymie and then knock out Rothlispeniz and Sandwich looks like an all-star.

But we've been loosers for long enough that we panic too early. That happened last night too. Panic.

Not necessary.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Not time to hit the panic button is all I'm sayin'...

I hear ya brown, and I'm not going to panic over this team, believe me. there's nothing to panic about on the field, because the skins aren't a very good team. that said, how can you deny the fact that we had few draft picks for next year and the new FO is trading them away. i'm all in for the rebuild, question is, when does it begin ? you might not be concerned about the draft now, but speaking about the management of this team is something to consider after a decade of doing business as usual.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:20 AM

Like your posts today, brownwood. I think if you want to become a 3-4 team, there's only one way to do it: do it. It's impossible to play 4-3 until you have the personnel because during the transition you'll have a bunch of 3-4 guys trying to fit into a 4-3. In the meantime you'll find a a few guys are more versatile than you may have expected.

Your second post today quoted the Boswell column. I liked this quote:

"the Redskins receive so much more attention and adulation than they have earned in the last 19 years that the players are seduced into thinking they are significantly better than they are. Maybe all of us, the whole town, is partly to blame. But the team's internal culture of big salaries, fat reputations and past glories (often in other towns), makes it an ideal upset victim."

This lines up so well with Haynesworth "I'm nobody's slave" and Hall "put me on the best guy." Neither one of them has earned his paycheck as a Redskin.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

What other option is there when you don't have a bevy of draft picks?

And BA and Shanahan didn't.

If they had completely 'blew up' the roster we'd be where we are now.

So what's the dif?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

so who's the WR that's burnin it up so much that DT11 can't get a snap at wide out? I can't think of anything that blows me more than watching McNabb go to Roydell Williams or Joes Galloway on 3rd down. DT11 is a playmaker. He really seems to be coming on. He's avg'ing like 28+ per kickoff return, and we have none of that explosiveness in our passing game if it's not Santana or Play action to someone else. We need more playmakers in the game on offense to make it harder for defenses to get US off the field on 3rd down. Teams know they have to watch Cooley and Moss on third. If they make sure they have those two guys covered, Donovan is usually in trouble by the time he gets to his 3rd and fourth reads.

Shanny get over yourself and let the Wild Child play ball.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 27, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

(minus Steven Jackson)

Haslett should have been put on a bus for the trip home....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I know we're all pissed about yesterday, but I think the season so far has shown us what we already knew: you can hire Joe Gibbs, a no-name in Jim Zorn, and then Mike Shanahan, and you'll still have these problems:

- CP is still old and slow

- Cooley still has problems holding on to the ball

- Moss still will committ the untimely fumble or drop an easy pass at a bad time

- Heyer will still get called for 3-4 holding penalties per game

- CR22 still can't catch

- Our D still can't stop the run

Etc., etc.

Until we get some better players in here, this is all rinse and repeat, no matter who the Head Coach is. That's why I am bummed this morning, cause we keep trading away draft picks every offseason...

Posted by: mattylight | September 27, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 27, 2010 9:29 AM

Brett Favre in 2009 says 'hi'. So does Kurt Warner in 2008. And Darrell Green. And Joey Galloway circa 2005. I'd go on, but I think you get the idea...

I'm obviously not saying that building with old vets is the way to go. But filling out the roster with vets isn't exactly a bad thing if undrafted rookies are your alternative.

pfunk, don't get me wrong...there's no excuse for losing to the Rams. Especially by two friggin' TDs. I'm just not ready to declare this team a failure just because it screwed the pooch in Week 3...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

... and fart in the general direction of the owner ...

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 9:23 AM |

Better yet, wait until he gets on an elevator and then seize the moment!

Posted by: LibertyValence | September 27, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"I know we're all pissed about yesterday, but I think the season so far has shown us what we already knew: you can hire Joe Gibbs"

Say what you will about Gibbs antiquated offensive schemes...he got every player on the field to run through brick walls on Sundays. And that's how twice in 4yrs the team went on improbable December win streaks to get into the postseason.

Shanny needs to look in the mirror re: the team's effort level yesterday...seemed like they gave up late

Posted by: divi3 | September 27, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Not necessary.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

That's where coaching and play-calling become important.

Last night, I was up here railing about our crappy coaching.

Spags and his guys out-coached and out-play-called our guys.

Alot of us were expecting the Shanny regime to provide an instant coaching upgrade that would add a couple automatic wins to our season. Frankly, the coaching has plum sucked, IMO.

Our units don't work as units. Our special teams already has a blocked FG, a muffed snap, and a blocked punt 3 games into the year.

Our Oline/run-block is a mess. Sure, we nabbed a good pick in Trent Williams who provides a talent upgrade...but that's not coaching.

We have player/starting lineup shuffling going on in Week 3 (not b/c of injuries). The offensive game plan is to ride McNabb's playmaking abilities - that's not coaching, anyone can do that.

The defense is a mess. Sure, our talented guys step up with some big plays here and there, but that;s what talented guys do...it's not coaching.

WHERE THE HECK IS THE COACHING???

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Haslett should have been put on a bus for the trip home....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 9:30 AM

I remember when the Packers made the switch to the 3-4 their defense struggled early. I think the defense has a chance to grow, but Haslett needs to blitz a little less IMO

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Why did it look like we only have 1 WR?

Because they are who we thought they were!

Some wanted to blame the HC or the QB for lack of production out of the WR position last year, but Vinny didn't give them anything to work with. The O-line was so bad if left question marks at the WR position, so a few optimistic souls thought McNabb would make the WRs better.

Apparently, Galloway and DT are not getting any better.

BLloyd, on the other hand.....

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Brown - my expectations for this year:

-better OL play (a must since our LT was a major upgrade),
-better coaching, manifest in better halftime adjustments, putting players in position to succeed, etc. Playing the 3-4 when we had no front 7 players for the scheme was stupid in so many ways, including pissing off the wretched Me'sWorth who helped us have a very good sack season last year.
-beating teams we should beat, including the Rams.

Those expectations are reasonable and not really shown as our running game is still horrible, our coaching is pathetic as there are no halftime adjustments, we still put players in position to fail, and do not maximize what little talent we have. We spend future draft picks on players that won't be here, or will be in their very last seasons, when we finally put real talent on the roster, which is the part that ticks me off the most.

Everyone can argue about how much JC sucks - IMO he needs a sports psychologist and an OL and can perform like he did at Auburn, but he got neither here. However, when you consider that we gave up our middle and most important draft picks for players that most likely won't be here when we turn good, you have to admit we are not going anywhere. With those middle draft picks we could get a center, LB, G, etc. And we'd have the option of picking a safety or RT with our first pick, or trading down to the lower 1st round/high 2nd to get both. One year with a full draft and a smart coach and a number of holes on the team can be filled. But when we give away draft picks for old players who are not durable/young enough to be relied upon to stay until we turn good, it makes no sense, and defeats your mission which is to put more talent on the team long-term that will come together at once to produce a dominant team.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'm all for optimism when it's called for, but I just can't see how you think we could be an 8-8 or 7-9 team when we still have Minny, Indy, GB, Philly x 2, Tennessee, Chicago, etc. left on the schedule...

Posted by: mattylight | September 27, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 9:33 AM

I think you have to take into account what rebuilding is...it's not necessarily blowing it up and starting from scratch. Most owners aren't patient enough for that, and not just Snyder. So you get a good mix of youth and veteran experience and hope it works out. The Falcons did it that way and they're a perennial playoff contender, and immediately after a putrid 4-12 season. Sound familiar?

The Ravens were able to rebuild on the fly. So did the Packers. Those teams draft better than we do, but I'd say we have an edge in that we've got better coaching (even though it doesn't look like it now). If Shanahan is who we think he is, we can be better. Just gotta get a few breaks...and make a few of our own.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Cooleys "fumble" was reviewed and called a non-fumble, not sure how thats a problem

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm just calling the team a failure in Week 3...and a big-time failure at that.

The Rams seriously have to be the least talented team on paper in the league. Their only talented guy didn't play most of the game.

We lost 30-16. That is epic fail and the team is on a downward trend from Week 1.

The only bright spot is that we are 3 weeks into this project as opposed to 2 years into this prject.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 9:33 AM |

telling it like it is beep !

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection

Still cannot see how we will possibly win 7 games. I'm not even confident we will win another game.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

What other option is there when you don't have a bevy of draft picks?

And BA and Shanahan didn't.

If they had completely 'blew up' the roster we'd be where we are now.

So what's the dif? - Moe

Moe, Shanahan and Haslett NOT scheming around their personnel has nothing to do with draft picks. It has nothing to do with their lack of draft picks going into the recent draft and EVERYTHING to do with thinking that they could implement zone blocking without the offensive linemen and running a 3-4 without the OLBs and DEs. C'mon dude, you're telling me that draft picks has to do with them playing Andre Carter at OLB?

LibertyVag, what does Brandon Lloyd have to do with a Redskins loss at St. Louis yesterday? You come up here ballwaxing Brandon Lloyd and bring up some comments I made weeks ago regarding his ass? Tell you what: Since you obviously think the guy is Jerry Rice reincarnated, why don't you go out and buy his fathead poster and you beat off to that, or sniff his cleats and jock strap? I don't care what that bastard does while he's in Denver because while that deuche was here with the REDSKINS he didn't do a damn thing!

Speaking of deuche, it's about time you go take one, and plug your bleeding vag from Brandon Lloyd bashing with a tampon. Remember the nozzle is the business end, d*ckhead.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I am tired of Haynesworth and his crap. The dude doesn't even help much when he is in the game. Here is my solution. Bench him. I know he takes up a precious spot on the small 53 roster but it would serve him right. The rest of his contract is pretty much incentive based, so he will earn barely anything. He won't play. He won't be traded for next to nothing. He will spend the next few years on the bench ending his career. No one will want him in three years when he hasn't played for two seasons and is a known cancer to a team. That's what he deserves at this point. He can be a slave to the pine.

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | September 27, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Cooley's had problems holding on to the for a while now, that's not the first time he's nearly coughed up the ball trying to fight for extra yards.

Just as a comparison, Cooley has 9 fumbles in 6 seasons, Antonio Gates has 3 in 7 seasons...

Posted by: mattylight | September 27, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | September 27, 2010 9:47 AM

Just like nobody expected us to lose to the Rams, we'll beat a couple of those teams nobody expects us to beat. Again...this is the NFL. Any given Sunday, and all that stuff...

And I watched that Vikings game yesterday...that's a VERY beatable team.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Yeh. I really don't want to see Kyle go down the same road as Zoron. At least the fop got 4 wins under his belt before the wheels came off. I hope that's not what we're looking at here.

OT:
Does anyone remember last year when that Ivy League ( I think it was Ivy League) study came out that showed, pretty much no matter what, it was always more adventageous to go for it on 4th? I saw two integral occasions yestidday where we shoulda gone for it & didn't... cost us the game.

It cost Miami, too.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Anyone catch Tom Coughlin's presser after the Giants game? He took FULL responsibility for the loss....hopefully Shanny/Has follow suit...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I see this year, the apologist will do the same thing Obama and the DEms are doing now:

Blame Bush (or Vinnie in the skins case)

But neither of them are still in office!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 27, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

It's right thing to do in front of the mics...I bet he was singing a different tune to the team behind closed doors...

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I think BLloyd is one example of how we take in players with potential and talent and don't maximize it, instead we minimize it. Whatever it is about the types of coaches we hire, Snyder's meddling, etc. - something is wrong with the culture here. There is no reason why the players that go from here should be able to do anything at all. Some that we let go suck, and didn't latch on anywhere else, but there are too many who did catch on elsewhere without having real replacements here. There is no excuse for this problem - just as there are no excuses for losing to the Rams. You can say that these players are professionals, and should be able to motivate themselves. However, I believe that maximizing the talents and abilities of the players while masking their weaknesses is the job of the coach. By this job description, almost every coach here has been an utter failure, including Haslett. KS may learn to utilize his players, and not be the equivalent of Zorn in the second half, or it may be MS who is preventing decent players from getting on the field, and being utilized. No matter what it is, the coaching failure is inexcusable.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Didn't expect too much out of this team. But is it too much to ask that we stop losing to the dregs of the NFL. We give teams like the Lions and Rams their only taste of victory. Fcking despicable. Vick is going to shred this garbage defense apart next week.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:54 AM

Sums up my point nicely. Good to see we're on the same page (even though we're saying it differently).

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM

Huh? Shanahan and Hazlett didn't fall down on the field. They didn't draw a single penalty. They didn't throw a single int. They didn't injure the punter. They didn't cause a blocked punt. They didn't cough the ball up.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, guess what!

If we beat Philly on Sunday we take first place in the NFC East. Quit acting like the world just came to an end.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to think you can draft rookie players if you don't trade away your draft picks to fill out a roster with vets. it makes more sense to build through the draft then add the needed FA, whether they're young or old, to fill out the roster.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

No beeps, they just turned into Zoron + company during the second half. And when a team has so many mental errors it means the coaching staff didn't prepare them for the game.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, guess what!

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it would be nice to win that game, though I'm not looking forward to it with the same gusto that I was when the season started.

And BTW, we are not acting like the world just ended; we are acting like we just just lost to the Rams by 2 TDs (minus Steven jackson).

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM

He should...he's been there, what, 5 or 6 years? Shanny/Has have been in D.C. a month and they have to fall on their swords?

I get that there should have been better 2nd half adjustments...but he doesn't have a roster 5 years in the making like Coughlin does. Apples and oranges, bro...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

beeps, how about the fact that the rams were starting a rookie qb, and lost their best offensive player, and Haz made ZERO adjustments to take advantage of this...or that the Redskins ran for 115 in the first half and 1 in the second...that is on the coach's.

why are people talking about Lloyd? He was given EVERY chance in the world to succeed here, but wasn't interested in it....so I guess I don't get it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

By this job description, almost every coach here has been an utter failure, including Haslett..

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM

Best time to judge a coach is after three weeks. "Fish or cut bait, Hazlett."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys, guess what!

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I was just as mad about that awful performance than the next guy, but that was yesterday.

Philly is coming up and we can beat them. Donovan will throw 3-4 TD's in that game.

Then we take 1st place in the East and all is right in the universe again.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 9:46 AM |

praise the lord karen, couldn't had said it any better. maybe you could run the skins FO !

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM

None of those realities worked for the head coach last year. Doesn't matter that 3 out of 5 OL starters went down for the sseason, Cooley went down, Portis went down, Betts went down, and the receievers were awful.

When the team stinks, for whatever reason... the HC takes the fall.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Five quick thoughts: Rams 30, Redskins 16
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
09/26/10 9:21 PM EDT

"1. The run defense isn’t about to improve » No 3-4 defense can excel vs. the run when you don’t have good play at the nose tackle. Not to blame everything on Maake Kemoeatu – because it’s not just him – but he gets shoved around way too often. A couple weeks ago Jim Haslett dismissed the notion that Kemoeatu was a problem. He thought he would clog the middle. Not happening. Kemoeatu does not control the middle and for a guy so big, his leg strength is an issue. Maybe he’s still not right after missing last season. But this will be a season-long issue.

2. Too many guys are out of position on defense » And here’s another problem. Listen, I like the 3-4 and I never bought the Redskins defense of the past couple years as being an elite one. They kept their team in games; they didn’t change games. So if you want to switch, that’s fine. That’s not the point; but they still need two more starting linemen; another starting outside linebacker and maybe another inside linebacker, one who weighs more than what they have now. This is a 4-3 team trying to play a 3-4. That makes for a rough transition. Next year, perhaps, this defense will roll. For now, it’ll struggle."

I said both of these things in June. And people, particularly brownwood26, dismissed it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Seemed to me that the Rams ran right through AH92 pretty much at will...

or at least through the gaps he created whenever he moved to the left or right.

Free the slave! (Release the bum already.)

Posted by: Vic1 | September 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Vick will shred the defense???

Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler will have to stare at nude pictures of Betty White, to get the erections to go down that they have at the thought of playing our defense.

I'm not giving up hope but this defense, right now, is horrible, no 2 ways about it.
In years past, our defense kept us in games while Soup and Portis(who went down yesterday like Spinks did against Tyson)failed to score points. Last years defense with this years offense and we are 3-0 at this point.
Your not going to give up 400 yds each week and expect to win sh!t except for a high draft selection.

Posted by: westjr88 | September 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

... and fart in the general direction of the owner ...

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 9:23 AM |

Poopy, is that you???

Posted by: monk811 | September 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I dunno - I'm totally psyched for PHilly. And I think the answer to our coaching questions might be that Shananahan is actually gaming (my short hand for game planning) to beat the div. teams. Screw everyone else.

Which, if that's true, makes him the best coach we could ever ask for. Ever; regardless of our record this year.

Shuttle's team objectives:
1) Beat Dallas
#) Beat other division teams
Z.1.c) Make the playoffs
Sideways 8) win stuporbowel

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Everybody's just about emptied their Febreze bottles today.

What have you been spraying all over Deadskins Insider to make things smell a little better and brighten your day?

"We were looking ahead to the Eagles!"

"We just needed a wake-up call!"

"We're still adjusting to our new 3-4 defense!"

"Marty started off 0-5 and look how that turned out!"

Face the facts: The Deadskins are going to have a long, miserable season. They look real bad right now and I don't see that changing. Your o-line is busted up and can't adjust, your RBs and WRs are putrid and your coach is showing why he got fired by his close friend (Pat). At least you don't have to worry about "pulling a Detroit" and going 0-16. The Cowboys charity work is over for this year.

"A skunk by any other name is still a skunk."
-M. Irvin

Peace, Y'all

Hell
To
The
Deadskins

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 27, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 27, 2010 10:18 AM

I don't think I "dismissed" it...especially since I was one of the few up here thought the D would take a step back. But even the biggest Redskins basher couldn't have seen this team dip to LAST in defense....

All I said is that AH isn't the magic elixir that will make the D better. Hell, dude can't get HIS OWN motor going, and he's gonna be the engine that drives the entire defense? Unlikely. Where I was really wrong was on Kemo...I though he'd be a solid NT and he hasn't been to date. Hopefully, he'll improve as the season wears on.

In the meantime, don't pull your shoulder outta socket patting yourself on the back...let's see how the 2nd half of the season plays out before we start speaking in absolutes.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

that is on the coach's.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:14 AM

When the team stinks, for whatever reason... the HC takes the fall.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 10:18 AM

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 10:12 AM

---------------------------------------------------------

From Tom Boswell, again:

So, you believe that it's on the coaches that they haven't changed the team culture in three games?

Schottenheimer didn't even get his first victory until his sixth game.

And Coughlin, perpetually at war with over-privileged Giants, nearly got fired the year before he won the Super Bowl.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Funny how the Cowdung trolls come out after their first win of the season...in Week 3. Ignoramuses don't even know we're still ahead of them in the standings by virtue of handing them their asses in Week 1...

Good job of ITA, my RI friends. Let's keep it up. (THAT'S FOR YOU RACHEL)

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

MrIdiot88,
The Cowpies and the Skins have the same record, but Skins win the tiebreaker... and they both stink.

The biggest difference is your head coach is going to be fired soon, and the Cowpies will be several years behind the Skins in rebuilding.

You need to worry more about the disaster looming ahead for your Cowpies, than obsessing over a rival team.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

So... 0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 sacks, 30 points given up = "all right."

Posted by: wbbradb | September 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Re: Philly

Our hope is to out-score them. That's it. If we can't contain Kenneth Darby and ? Tolston, what makes anyone think we can contain Vick. If we can;t cover Mark Clayton, how will we do against Mcalin/Jackson.

My prediction - We see a heavy reversion to the 4-3 this week.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

beep, sorry, there were ZERO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH adjustments made by the defense after halftime....and there were terrible adjustments made, getting away from the run, made by the offense...its really not up for debate....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:12 AM |

I agree on that p1. it seems that the folks saying we're panicked are the ones who are overreacting to comments about the game, as to say you're not a true skins fan if you criticize the team. to those folks I say, grow some thick skin. this team sucks and we won't get better until we change the way we operate.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood1 indirectly responds to me then he chastises Rachel. LMAO!!!

You're ahead of nobody in the standings because you're going to lose many, many games. ROTFL!

"Send me your tiny, your old, your washed-up masses."
Washington Deadskins Motto
-M. Irvin

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 27, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

My prediction if p1's prediction (switch to 4-3) is correct - a much improved defense. If that is the case, the game after will determine how stupid/smart this so far idiotic coaching staff is. If we play the 4-3 in the game after Philly, then there might be some hope.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 27, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Re: Philly

My prediction - We see a heavy reversion to the 4-3 this week.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

That's right...maybe the defense will improve eventually but right now it sucks and our only hope is to outscore teams rather than keep them from scoring. Every week will be a track meet and we have the capability to win the meet.

Posted by: westjr88 | September 27, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:31 AM

And like you say, that's the only reason we lost the game. It had nothing to do with the play on the field or the players. They were all perfect. Coaches need to take full responsibility. Sheesh, Greg. Did you watch the game this week?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

When you can't convert on 3rd down and sustain drives, it's kind of hard to keep the run game going.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 27, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

My prediction - We see a heavy reversion to the 4-3 this week.

Posted by: p1funk

I sure hope so. I'm a fan of the 3-4 defense... just not when you don't have the players to run it.

Doing that will get you a resemblance of some 2A high school JV team on defense.

Or what we witnessed yesterday.

I'm tuning the Cowsh*t fans out today. These MoFo's are really REALLY chesty at work today.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

----

The very definition of a slave is one who isn't paid to work, but forced to do so anyways. Clinton can retire anytime, and will retire rich, unless he's blown his cash.

I have no sympathy for any of these jokers. They give the same excuses year after year, trying to set some kind of "this won't ever happen again" tone. My favorite was AH, saying that the Redskins overlooked the Rams. Overlooked? They won 9-7 last year, and the year before they lost at home to the Rams in a loss that set off a season collapse.

If anything, this team should have been hyped to beat the Rams, given the recent history.

The talent level just isn't there.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

beep, I did not watch....I'll stop commenting on it, per the blog police...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I think D. Hall and Haslett share most this blame. Hall played horribly, he is the biggest F'N puss on the team, never seen someone so afraid to tackle. Haslett needs to be more proactive in his calls. We sit the corners off 10 yards, what is this Blache defense again. Allowed Bradford to get in a rythm with short Zornesque screens and due to Hall's lack of ability or care to tackle, they killed us. Carter is not a OLB, period. I think Moore will get better, but his tackling was awful as well.

I am not understanding our offense at all...what has changed except that McNabb is at least willing to throw the ball. Cant tell me DT11 is that bad, I just dont get it. WHere is F. Davis down the middle of the field creating all types of mismatches. We were told that K. Shanny would be moving these WR around a ton, dont see it. Running game was picking up some steam with Torain and Portis, why did we abandon it?

Vick will shred us next week, whether it be his legs or arm, he will do it without better coaching and tackling. He does not go down easily, so I hope they practice tackling this week.

Still early, we can only get better. I see an unbelievable shake up next year with personnel. Dockery is obviously not liked by this staff, Defense needs different players to run this scheme or more time.

Hail Skins!

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 10:24 AM |

get whatever draft pick you can for AH by trading him. I won't say he can't play NT in the 3-4, rather, he doesn't want to play NT in the 3-4. LOSER belongs on a losing team and guess what.........

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the game:

- DHall got burned by his own words

- AH was far and away the best defensive lineman yesterday, and it wasn't even close. The only time the Redskins could stop the run was when Haynesworth was in the game. The only sack on Bradford was when Haynesworth blew up 2 linemen 4 yards into the backfield freeing Orakpo. At this point, it's utter nonsense for him not to be starting and playing >50% of the snaps.

- Andre Carter needs to be relegated to obvious pass-rushing situations.

- Haslett looked like an amateur against whoever was calling the plays from STL.

- Kareem Moore looks great in coverage, awful in run support. Hopefully that was just rust having not really tackled since last year.

- Stephon Heyer still sucks.

- WTF is wrong with CP falling down without an opponent w/in 5 yards of him and open space ahead? As he cut into the open field, CP actually SLOWED UP and started covering the ball with 2 hands. Get over the fear of fumbles and being caught from behind. It's detrimental. He should have gone for a 60 yard TD, instead he fell for a mere 27 yard gain.

- That said, CP should have never been relegated as he was in the second half, even after Torain's great start. I understand if Shanahan is PO'ed about his RB not taking advantage of that gaping opportunity to put points on the board, but Torain was in there missing blitz pickups and hurting the passing game.

- Where are all the other receivers beside Moss? Is this going to be another 2005 where Moss has 1400 yards receiving while his #2 finishes with 22 receptions on the year? Bring in DT11. It's almost impossible to be worse than Roydell yesterday.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM
------------------------------------------
Right, but they are not pristine in this whole thing. Shanny continues to put his faith in a receiver that is ancient as wide receivers go. Haslett continues to stick with Carter even though he moves in space about as well as a senior citizen with a walker and Alexander is clearly the better linebacker of the two. Yes, I think the players need to take some of the blame but there is enough blame to go around for that suck-fest of a game they put on yesterday.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 27, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep, if the players were awful yesterday (and they were) and the coaches should not be blamed for such poor play (your assertion), then what's your position on Zorn's firing last year??...

Zorn's players performed terribly and got injured at an astonishing rate, so I just want to understand if there's consistency in your argument.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone got Blache's email address?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

good stuff psp...I don't get the DT/11 situation...its not like Galloway/Williams are tearing it up....why not give Devin a chance??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

beep, I did not watch....I'll stop commenting on it, per the blog police...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:40 AM

You can comment for now. Just temper your opinions when Chris Larry goes on police patrol. Not "Redskins sucked" but "If I had seen it I may have concluded that the Redskins looked bad." Don't want to see you in the RI Lock Up.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Rak's sack came when AH was lined up next to him.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:19 AM |

That play was a thing of beauty. Not only did Rak run free but Hayney split that double team and was in the backfield in no time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to add an insult to this injury - apparently Atogwe didn't even play the second half.

They were without their best offensive AND defensive player for half the game.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well in the end I feel that we need to give Shanahan and Co a year + 2 off seasons to put together a team they think is a winning team.

But damn I still am pissed at this loss.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins were 4-12 last year. You simply cannot change the offensive and defensive systems and most of the coaching staff and expect to have complete success right away.

Before the season began I thought the Redskins would be lucky to get to 8-8, with 6-10 or 7-9 more likely destinations.

The people in this area seem to always expect instant gratification when that gratification is not really warranted. This goes for the so called experts at Comcast SportsNet and the Washington Post.

If the Redskins have not shown good progress by the end next year (or whenever they get to play another season), then more criticism might be justified.

Posted by: cannontl | September 27, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

CP had done this move often in the open-field or in traffic.

He scrunches up like a hermit crab, covers the ball and puts his head down. Obviously he can't see where he's running or cutting like that.

IMO, it has less to do with ball security and more to do with being afraid of taking a hit to his head a-la Falcons game from last year when he got a concussion in the open field from a sandwich hit.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I wish you would have kept that info to yourself...now I need to find the closest bridge.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 27, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM

--------

We do this every year...because it's easier. It's easier to think that a few coaching changes, or a change in coaching philosophy, will right this ship.

Of course, the truth is we don't have very good players. There was a reason why there were approx. 100 players at training camp this year, and that is a coaching staff with objectivity assessed this teams talent level and determined it stunk.

I like many had hoped for a quick fix..but that isn't going to happen, apparently. This will take time. What I'm not going to do is whip out the torch and pitchfork and call for the coaches' head.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 10:43 AM

Bravo! Not only did you hit the nail on the head, you built the whole damn house, home-style.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 9:19 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It came from a 4-3 set.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy if this running game gets more than 3 yards per carry. Look at what we're dealing with!

And we lost all sorts of opportunities w/o CPo in there.

Torain & Williams cannot block. They musn't be on the field until they learn how. It's not like we have a good line, even worse w/o Silverback.

..Torrain & Williams... isn't that a faux-pricey restaurant chain that sells kitchen gadgets?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

But damn I still am pissed at this loss.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 10:49 AM

You want to give them enough rope to hang themselves? A year plus two off seasons? That's about enough to lace up their shoes, especially when you consider what free agency was this past year.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

What a beat down, probably will get another horrible beat down from Philly.

Posted by: abxinc | September 27, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

while they're at it they should bring the red snapper back to town.

Posted by: hessone

You got THAT right. The guy NEVER had a bad snap with the Redskins and they cut him to save a few bucks. Idiotic move.

Posted by: TheCork | September 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Mark Ingram in 2011. Make it happen

Posted by: skinswest | September 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Defense talk is all correct but our offense is almost there. We failed to get 7's in the redzone and left 12 points on the field. then again I'll say 9 points because we seem to get a lot of kicks blocked. Scoring touchdowns would change the game and our defense can play with some heart. Our defense is bad but they are still learning the 3-4 dont be so quick to judge. I say we get a Wr like Vincent Jackson if we can get him cheaper then a 2nd round pick ex. 3rd rounder and DT and another late pick for him do it. We also need to keep running Torain when our big boy Trent Williams comes back

Posted by: patljr7 | September 27, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"I think D. Hall and Haslett share most this blame."

The OFFENSE only scored 16 points. Against the Rams. Couldn't punch it in the endzone. Couldn't sustain long drives. Too many field goals against the Rams D. The offense is guilty too.

Personally, I think Trent Williams is the most important man on offense.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I bet you demand hed after a perfectly decent hand-job.

I feel like the Aflac duck after reading this......what does, "perfectly decent" even mean?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

You listen to Portis talk now vs 5 years ago, you watch how he plays off balance, I think that a CAT scan may be a good idea.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Then we take 1st place in the East and all is right in the universe again.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Not with this Haslett-run defense..Vick is going to play hopscotch through this horribly porous defense we got, with no pass rush..Haslett being signed was pretty underwhelming, his defenses were mediocre at best in New Orleans..Okay, the transition to 3-4 is our excuse, so our defense is totally f***ed the rest of the year..Any rate, I have plenty of beers to f*** up..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 27, 2010 9:05 AM

Rome wasn't built in a day. They were 4-12 last year for chrissake. Shanahan and Allen have done a ton so far but more is needed. I've heard that next years FA class is going to be one of the best ever so who knows.

Posted by: skinswest | September 27, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Alan, you're absolutely right about Silverback... need him back.

But I'm really glad they sat him. Hope he can make it back for the important game!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone

Seriously? You are blaming this on Haynesworth??? Kemo can't play NT either. Maybe he's still hurt or has just lost it but he is not producing in the position. At least Albert was honest in saying he's never played the position before and is still trying to learn it - whether he wants to or not.

The blame goes on the coaching staff who decided to switch our Top 5 defense to this mess! Heads should roll!

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I sure wish folks would stop comparing the Packers struggles in the 3-4 last yr to the Skins of this yr. And think the Skins will be able to turn it around in a similiar fashion.

1. The Packers drafted a bonafide nose tackle in the 1st round.

2. The Packers Linebacker core was already 10 times more athletic, younger and bigger then the Skins.

3. The Pack's secondary was already better then the Skins

4. Dom Capers is a better DC then Haslett has ever been.

5. The only player truly playing out of position for them was Kampman. Skins have Carter, Alexander, Haynsworth, etc

Posted by: ga8085 | September 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"psps, yer an idiot, too. He breaks one for 27 & then you want 60. I bet you demand hed after a perfectly decent hand-job."

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 10:54 AM

Psps not an idiot. 60 was a little over the top, but he could've got about 5 extra had he stayed low.

Me, and probably Moe too, ask: What is wrong with "hed" after a hanny? Expecially after a Skins loss to a team like the Rams, I need all I can get to erase the dreadful memories of our D's play.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

I agree about the toll of the concussions. He's still the only real option we have.

It's simple, people, until a better back gets here - he's it.

I like Torrain & Williams (hell of a lobster bisque), but they're not as good.

Enough already.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM

--------

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 10:08 AM

--------

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

psps23 I agree 100% with what you've said. Shanny's making some unusual decision early this year. Maybe he's still trying to figure out his players? But if Zorn had bench a starter in Dock, for an Olman you hadn't played in a year and had no game experience, if he'd not played DT when there are no other WRs, if he'd bench CP for a practice squad player, particularly in passing situations, and if he'd have AH play like 20 snaps we would crucify him on this lose. However, given Shanny's track record I'm still optimistic that he can produce a competitive bunch on more Sundays than not.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

My prediction - We see a heavy reversion to the 4-3 this week.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:28 AM

And they'll promptly lose the locker room in the process.

Once you make that switch, it's done. The defense installed is a 3-4. You can't change schemes on the fly in-season...unless, of course, you want the same level inept play on defense you're already getting from the 3-4.

You have to ride it out. Bailing on it now would be a mistake just as big as switching to the 3-4 in the first place.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 10:57 AM

I agree. I don't think he should be playing anymore -- at least not based on his stumbles in the first three games. Also, good to get him out of the locker room so that Tracey Hamilton doesn't stare at his package.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I think they need to put the crap of Shanny vs. AH aside and let him play. We pay him to play. Other than that sack, Orakpo doesnt seem to have the same motor he had last year, but who knows. I like the front 4 during our 4-3 with Kemo, AH, Rak and Carter. Or Carriker instead of Kemo.

No matter what, we cant play 10 yards off the line for DBs, however we will have to against the eagles, cuz Maclin and D. Jackson are going to burn past our secondary with Laron flying up to the line.

WE cant blitz every play either...but its only game 3, I think our effort is hands down better than it was last year.

I also enjoyed watching McNabb yelling at the o-line for its screw ups...JC would have never done that.

Trade AH for Terrence Cody at the Ravens, that dude would surely eat up some middle...

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

My prediction - We see a heavy reversion to the 4-3 this week.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 10:28 AM

And they'll promptly lose the locker room in the process.

Once you make that switch, it's done.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

We've been told that the defense is some kind of 3-4/4-3 hybrid. All I'm saying is that we start seeing more 4-3 than 3-4.

Anyways, I don't know how you lose the lockerroom over this.

The players suck at the 3-4. I'm sure they'd welcome more schemes that they are more comfortable with so that teams like the Rams don;t embarass them.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

eagles and cowboys now are the best in the division..cowboys made schaub look like the overrated player he is ( he is 30 looks about 53) has big targets to throw to but he has the mobility of the sad sack weakling in phila. kolb. vick and eagles will put up 30 or more sunday against haslett's putrid defense mcnabb will try but o-line not good enough at this time if heyer plays cole will get 3-5 sacks litchensteiger and rabach are pathetic and weak. shanahan and many here are still talking about what he did with t. davis and elway living off the past. he brought mcnabb in here that to me is a signal to win NOW not interested in excuses start winning or hit the door.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 27, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

BTW,

my comment is meant as legitimate concern for Portis' mental state. I have been wondering for a while now if he has had any brain damage.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Follow the leader, follow

beep beep

or, Phollow McNabb to Philly for a homecoming.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

This team needs to man up. When the going gets tough this group has shown they they get going. I'm sick and tired of watching this group find a way to lose a football game. Thank god October 8th is only 11 days away (Caps opener). They may have struggled in the postseason last year but at least that group all seem to have a pair.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 27, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 10:57 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I said last week that the clock is on CP and he'll soon be a 3rd down back for passing situations.

And I think the problem is that CP stares a Tracee's package...

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26 @ 11:06 AM.... completely agree.

Another reason switching from 3-4 to 4-3 would be a mistake at this point is Albert Haynesworth. That switch, made mid-season, would give H-worth massive locker room credibility and make the leadership look like they were absolutely clueless after their high-profile offseason squabble about the 3-4 defense.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Anyways, I don't know how you lose the lockerroom over this.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 11:12 AM

Nice retort. My thinkings exact. Brownwood, in my opinion, is thinking too, too much into it.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the problem defensively is schematic. Personnel-wise there would by just as many question marks in a 4-3 as a 3-4.

Carter is better in the 4-3, Carriker is better in the 3-4. Kemoeatu is getting blown up no matter where he lines up; his physical strength isn't what it used to be at this point. Cornelius Griffin is gone, Alexander is slimmed down, Jarmon is bulked up. Neither of those guys fit into a 4-3 defensive front. Holliday is a 3-4 DE plain and simple. We only have 4 LBs for a 4-3 (Fletcher, McIntosh, Riley, Blades), and none of them play the SLB.

This defense is undergoing an ugly transition. No, the personnel isn't perfect (for either defense), but the bigger issue is how Haslett was outcoached from a playcalling standpoint. He was one step behind the entire second half. That worries much more than any personnel or schematic weaknesses.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM

Mid-point is about 5 weeks away. The squabble was not about the 3-4 defense as a whole, but about AH's role in the 3-4 defense. C'mon Chief, don't get ahead of yourself.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM

I would really be disheartened if that would go into their thinking. I mean, if the team is still dead last in defense at week 8 and it's obvious they don't have the players for, or the players aren't adjusting well to the 3-4 don't you think the prudent thing would be to run some of the stuff your players are good at? Square peg(s) round hole(s)? Haven't gone through that the last few years (LL at FS)? I think players may loose direction if they see the leadership putting scheme ahead of winning.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey Alan4, good to see you. I haven't had the time to keep up with JC17, how's he doing out there on the west coast?

Posted by: ga8085 | September 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I find it odd that Haynesworth's plays 'all right' is in quotes when earlier blog entries on Gano and Moore used something they said in the title but no quotes. Not to nitpick but it almost seems like they are implying that Haynesworth didn't play all right, when I thought he played pretty well. The Rams double teamed him all day, and as for the whole Darby Touchdown run that is on the linebackers (and Moore for 'missing the tackle'). Haynesworth did his job, sure you'd like to see him get past those two guys, but he isn't the reason the Rams were in the End zone.

Posted by: Steveo11 | September 27, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

To Steveo11--Use of quotes in a news article means a direct quote; Gano and Moore entries means transcribed and not necessarily word for word...There is no implication from a reporting side.

That being said, the Darby touchdown most definitely is on AH's shoulders. There is no way the defensive call was for AH to slant right and create that gap. He freelanced and it cost us.

Posted by: jnel | September 27, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't broke...so they fixed it until it was.

Posted by: Redskinrex | September 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly. It was ruled as "not enough evidence to overrule the call on the field", but he fumbled it and we got lucky on that one.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | September 27, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse