Haynesworth to Start Work Monday

Jason Reid reports:

New Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth -- the NFL's highest-paid defensive player -- plans to participate in the team's offseason conditioning program beginning Monday at Redskins Park, his agent said today.

Haynesworth, who lives year-round at his homes in Nashville and Knoxville, Tenn., is eager to begin the next chapter of his career, said his representative, Chad Speck. The Redskins lured Haynesworth from Tennessee with a seven-year, $100-million contract that could be worth as much as $115 million based on his performance.

The package includes a NFL record $41 million in guaranteed money, and Haynesworth is assured of receiving $32 million in the first 13 months of the contract.

It is important to owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, to have the team's high-profile players involved in the program at the complex to build "team chemistry," Cerrato said recently. The Redskins released Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Taylor because he balked at Snyder's request to have a workout clause added to his contract. Haynesworth and cornerback DeAngelo Hall, who re-signed with the team minutes before the free agent market opened, have workout clauses in their contracts, Cerrato said.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 11, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Doughty Signs for 1 Year with Skins
Next: Kendall Mulling Options

Comments

Just wanted to chime in on a few things...

I've said for more than a little bit that:

sports_guru = TheTruth = Richard_Cranium

Just once I would like to see them all post within the span of 15 minutes.

Nah, scratch that s%*t, they need not to post at all IMO.

Hold on, what am I saying? "They" is not "Them" because "them" is "him", him being TheTruth... what an assbag.
------------------------
To be compared to any of those frontin' gangsters in the movie "Alpha Dog" ain't cool at all. Couldn't believe how "street" and "hood" that "society" is, what was that, Northern California?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

first - just because

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 11, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone saw this in the Washington Times. I know Pace's name came up earlier today.

Orlando Pace is a 7-time Pro Bowl left tackle who'll be a serious Hall of Fame candidate, but Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato just told me this morning the Redskins have no interest in the 33-year-old, who was cut by the Rams on Tuesday. Pace missed 25 of 48 games with injuries the past three seasons. Washington still has depth issues along the line, but Pace won't be an answer there.

Posted by: TWISI | March 11, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

time to get our tubby DL in shape.

Posted by: dadanimal | March 11, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Red,
That movie was good but I might be speaking for the younger audience. It takes place in east LA county, not the best place in the state.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | March 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Be careful with a guy named Andre that plays the o-line. Do you remember tha last Andre we drafted from PSU. Andre Johnson was a huge bust!!!!!!

Posted by: joeboggs | March 11, 2009 4:13 PM

Maybe the problem isn't "Andre" but PSU. Remember the last LB we drafted from PSU?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

do we have to hear about his contract, and the guaranteed money every time something gets written about AH??

How many times do we have to have written, AH, followed by "the NFL's highest paid player".....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 11, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | March 11, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Assume that he'd said "No problem! Put that workout clause in there, Dan." What reason do you think they would have given for releasing him?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 11, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I say we need to stay away from this kid, leaving the combine is not that big of a deal, but being out of shape for a pro day you have been training for is not good.

This kid seems very lazy, let another team take a shot on him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

CL, I'm not a Oher hater. I read the "The Blindside" (its an outstanding football book for those who haven't read it) and that informs my opinion of him. I just don't think he's "smart" enough to play at this level. He's received a ton of support from high school through Ole Miss. I can't imagine him grasping a pro playbook. Nobody in the NFL is going to have the time or inclination to use chairs and ketchup bottles to help him learn plays.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Agree 100%. Also, I know that for the most part our FO are idiots, I do not need reminding everytime there is a new post...just give me updates and interesting fb info.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 11, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

WAPO give it a rest, every year somebody gets a new contract and become's the highest paid player in the NFL.

stop trying to throw salt on old wounds.

WAPO like the girlfriend who says she forgives you but everytime you have an argument she brings up stuff from 30 years ago.

LET IT GO

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 11, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 11, 2009 4:23 PM

It's called a setup. The stage is being set to call him "the biggest bust in the NFL." It's a subtle way of continuously questioning whether he's worth the money... he starts off with unrealistic expecatations that he will never make a mistake.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 11, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 11, 2009 4:28 PM

On another team, there could have been another reason.

Outsiders might be new to that old DC classic: "I'm leaving to spend more time with my family."

The only downside is now he'll look like a complete liar if he goes to another team and participates in a couple dozen of their offseason workouts.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 11, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

theFreshinAU, you speaking for the younger audiance? Damn, homie how young are you?

I did see that movie though, it was 'aiight', but seeing "suburban" kids front like their the original's original gangster was just too damn funny to me.

You said East LA isn't the best place in the state? You mean from a jumpin/party stand point, or crime/violence?

My favorite line: "When you see me, you ain't goin't to wanna see me - yeah it's like that b!tch" - Jutin Timberlake's Character in the movie "Alpha Dog".

No, not because it sounds so "hood", I find it funny because of the overall cornballness of it all coming from Justin Timerlake.

One more thing: I was watching season two of "The Wire" last night, and forgot about my man 'Ziggy'. If you watched the series, you have to remember 'Ziggy'

I've never seen TheTruth before, and care not to, but I get the funny feeling that chracter was based off that Carolinian d0uchebag.

Mf'er, your new name is Ziggy.

TheTruth = Ziggy

"Damn, Zig"

Posted by: RedDMV | March 11, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to feel the same way about A. Smith, Flounder.

But remember Vinny's motto: "The biggest piece of the puzzle is what they do on film... Bottom line is, you're going to go out there and play football... Production on tape is the most critical thing."

Sounds like Vinny is not intimidated by a players workout/combine.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 11, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

flound, really? I don't know dude, I'm thinking he could be a player.

all things considered, I'd still rather trade back.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 11, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

hey Red we get it dude

way to re-post something no one cares about

what a ****ing loser

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 11, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What does it take to movivate someone (A. Smith) to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft and collect the big paycheck? Not sure if I would spend a top 20 pick on him.

Best case, trade back and pick up an extra pick...

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 11, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I wish we had that second rounder!

Andre Smith might (undeservedly) drop to the 2nd round because I think people will keep putting on the "character issue" stereotype. This sometimes fits, but Andre Smith really hasn't done all that much.

and obviously tackles don't need to run fast 40's. Bench is more important, but still not that big of a deal. HOW MUCH CAN HE SQUAT

as long as he doesn't have the character flaws of a RedDMV, I'm okay.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 11, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I missed out.
What is going on with Andre Smith? I hear he doesn't want to play football.
Hope the dude doesn't fall to 13 and we make a giant mistake!!!

Posted by: rcjordan44 | March 11, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Andre Smith is dropping, we need him and we have guys that can help his attitude like Samuels (also from Alabama) and BUGEL.

If the guy doesn't want to play football he would have dropped out before now. He just doesn't want to play for the LIONS.

He is the best college tackle on film , which is way more important than the COMBINE!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 11, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

flounder
"Not sure if Andre Smith's pro day has been discussed, but he was overwieght and apparently very weak."

good tackles have long arms, guys with long arms don't do well on bench presses. Smith is the best tackle on film all season long, everything else is candy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 11, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

haynesworth starts work on manday, when is JLC gonna start?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 11, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

JLC, LISTEN UP DOG, THE MORE YOU WRITE ABOUT THE REDSKINS, THE MORE I HATE YOU!!YOU ARE A F**^^ IDIOT!!!PEA 4 BRAIN!!

Posted by: joe12341 | March 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Why not sign D. Brooks?

Posted by: rabalac7 | March 12, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth, who lives year-round at his homes in Nashville and Knoxville, Tenn., is eager to begin the next chapter of his career"

I guess now it will be, "Haynesworth, who lives year-round at his own cities of Nashville and Knoxville, Tenn.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | March 12, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Just read the posting rules. My goodness if personal attacks are not allowed that would pretty much eliminate half of everything the Post's columnists write about the Redskins. Give me football news without all the venom. Keith M.

Posted by: keith4 | March 12, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse