Healthy Daniels Says He's Ready to Go

Jason Reid reports:

Just got off the phone with defensive end Phillip Daniels, who, as we previously reported, could soon be headed back to the Redskins.

On Tuesday, Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, acknowleged that re-signing Daniels was among the options to address the hole at left end that was created when the team released Jason Taylor on Monday. Daniels is recovering well from the knee injury that forced him to miss the 2008 season (and prompted the Redskins to make a costly trade for Taylor), he said, and he will be ready to start the season in top form.

"It's really coming along, man," Daniels said of his recovery. "I'm running, cutting, moving great now ... it's getting better and better every day. I'm working it real hard and it's getting stronger. I just feel good, I feel like I'm going to be able to get back out there and be ready."

Daniels' two-year contract was voided automatically before free agency opened at 12:01 a.m. Friday, meaning he is an unrestricted free agent. He said the Redskins have spoken with his agent, "and they have told me they want me back," Daniels said. "Everyone has just been great, letting me know they'd like me to come back, man, and I would love to come back."

"But you know what? You just have to be patient and see how stuff works out because you really never know what's going to happen. But like I said, I really do want to go back, and they've really made me feel good about wanting me back."

Daniels said he was surprised that Taylor was released, "because Jason is a great player, and you just don't expect that," he said. "But you know anything can happen in this game, so I'm just trying to be ready."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 4, 2009; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall Says the Best Is Yet to Be
Next: Hall on Haynesworth

Comments

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

2?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

On the drowning story ... its actually common for people to get delusional in those situations. Read 'Ultimate Survival' by Laurence Gonzales.

Gonzales talks about the experiences of people in these life or death situations and how the mind works, or stops working in many cases. Fascinating stuff and very relevant to what apparently happened in this case.

And yes, prayers for all involved, including the survivor.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"Get rid of the Jasons and give me a guy like Barry Svrluga covering the team.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009"

You going to get rid of Jenkins, Boswell, Korheiser, and Feinstein too?

Believe me the worst of all was David Israel. But I regress into the distant past.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'd rather see Olshansky brought in as the starter, and Daniels signed for depth, at both DE and DT.

Sign Daniels for the vet min, with incentives, sign Olshansky for 5 years.

Gotta get more use out of Wilson, and Jackson....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Olshansky still sounds better? I guess I agree with whomever suggested that possibility.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

who is Jason, Molly, and Melissa??

did I miss something...again...

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Yes. But a yahoo search will catch you up

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I say we blame Daniels and not Vinny for the lost of a 2nd round draft pick this year...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Gotta get more use out of Wilson, and Jackson....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009"

Try them at linebacker early on ... that is where they have the greatest need.

If they can't manage that and aren't good on specials then let them go.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

That would be me with Igor.... thank you, thank you very much.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 4, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"It makes perfect sense if you ask me. Now he has to come back and have a MVP season to redeem himself. (sarcasim via print if you did not get it)......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 4, 2009"

Suspect he'll end up in Tampa and have a very good to great year. Just have to accept that ...

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope we can get Daniels for vet min. I can't imagine any other teams being interested in him.

I'd like to see us bring back Evans, but if we go w/Daniels and rotate in some of the young guys -Buzbee, Jackson, Wilson - I can live with that for now.

Posted by: p1funk | March 4, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What the heck has this Igor guy done to make so many want him in Maroon and Black? Is it the fact that he's never played in a 4-3? The fact that he has 11 sacks in 5 years? The fact the Chargers fans are glad to see him have the oppurtunity to go underperform for someone else?

Don't waste money on this guy. If he's really cheap fine. Otherwise I don't think you'll be seeing Danny/Vinny going after an underperforming DE who fits in a 3-4 defense.

If we get Daniels and Evans back and draft Orakpo we'll be fine.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

Oh yeah? Prove it. Finish in the top four on "Dancing with the Stars" and you'll get the contract you were hoping for.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Daniels back any day of the week. We could use his "tremendous upper body strength" over there on the LDE.

Posted by: psps23 | March 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

You going to get rid of Jenkins, Boswell, Korheiser, and Feinstein too?

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM |

Sally Jenkins? Liked her piece on Michael Phelps, but everything else she does is crap to me. Feinstein would fit right in with the Jasons, he is the president of his own fan club. I value what he says on golf (except when it comes to Tiger, he hates the guy), most baseball, and some college basketball topics, but football is obviously not an area he has great knowledge in, even if he is the color analyst for the radio Navy football broadcasts. I can live with Boswell or Kornheiser; each has been somewhat negative at times with regards to the team, but I think they are clearly more fair, and it's obvious that the purpose of their lives is not to try to take cheap shots at the FO, so I don't see how you can equate either of them with the schlubs who post this blog.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 2:12 PM |

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Does having a 'healthy Daniels' make Evans expendable?

And when I heard Daniels, I think of "The Wire"

Somewhere, in the great beyond, Lester Freeman is putting together minature furniture as McNulty cheats on his wife.

The Barksdale Family has decided that Stringer Bell was not to be trusted.

The young mayor dude finds out that Ballmer and Hell share the same longitude and latitude.

The guy who says, "Sheeeeeeet" has only one line and he can't remember it.

Bunk wonders why a police officer wears a suit and smokes cigars he never lights or puffs on.

The dead hookers in the trailers realize they haven't been paid for their work--and all the time, they've been on their backs not making a sound about it.

Snoop comes out of the closet and realizes that lesbians on tv are much better looking than the ones in real life.

Gotta go: that red-headed prosecutor chick has reminded me that I have a job to do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Sign Daniels for vet min (he won't sniff much more anywhere else), re-sign Evans for a Todd Collins-like contract ($3 mill per season), get after Angelo Crowell, and the draft becomes open again. Top OT available, then any combo of G/C/LB/DE/RB with the 3, 5, and 6 picks.

That would be the dream. Of course, someone's bound to overpay for one of the suggested guys...

Posted by: psps23 | March 4, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 4, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | March 4, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

big, playing in the 3-4 at DE is different from playing DE in the 4-3.

I think he's a bigger guy, who can't be run on, and put him next to AH, and you've got 2 guys that the other team has to possibly account 4 guys to block.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't see us going after C/G until next year. G should be our FA signing (Chris Snee, anyone?) and C should be our 1st or 2nd round pick.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Why would you give Evans 3 mil a year when SF offered him 2mil a year for 2 years?? is psps23 aka Dan Snyder, give $$ away?!!??

Posted by: slimbo-Rice"

I haven't seen that. If that's the case, give him $2 mill for 3-4 years a piece. Even better.

Posted by: psps23 | March 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

ryp, I believe snee signed a long term extension.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree with BigFish. Not entirely sure Igor makes sense for us. He's not exactly a sack machine (almost seems like a waste to pair a slow-motion lineman with Haynesworth) and it seems like if we want a run stuffer at DE we can get Daniels back on the cheap. But Igor's a good player if we could add him for a reasonable contract.

Periculum, you seem to think all our d-lineman can play any position. You just said Jackson/Wilson should play LB and in previous posts you've put Andre Carter at linebacker too. I'm glad you have a lot of faith in them but I don't think guys like Rob Jackson could drop into coverage when need be. Few people in the NFL can effectively switch between LB and DE in a 4-3 like ours. Kiwanuka jumps to mind but he was a 1st round talent and an athletic freak.

Talent Evaluator - that's too funny

Say we bring back Daniels and no one else. At 13, Oher and Orakpo are both available. Who do you guys take? Make our D elite? Or help out our anemic offense? I suppose this depends on everyone's opinion of Heyer but I'm curious as to what people think.

How about at 13 if no top 4 OT is available and Orakpo is long gone? Assuming we can't trade down who are you hoping for there?

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | March 4, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The big question mark is 2nd year DE Jackson. He looked decent in the last camp. Is he good enough to supplant either Evans or Daniels this year?

Also, I doubt the Skins would consider resigning 36 yr old Daniels if they draft another DE.

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter
DE Evans to decide between 49ers, Redskins by Friday
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Demetric Evans, San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins

Defensive end Demetric Evans is in negotiations with the 49ers and Redskins. They have discussed a two-year deal in the $4 million range.

Evans, who recorded 33 tackles and 3.5 sacks in 11 starts with the Redskins last season, will make his decision by Friday.

Posted in: Adam Schefter | ShareThis

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | March 4, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I think I have successfully created a way of rating Running backs Ahla the QBR. I call it my RBR

Posted by: alex35332 | March 4, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Per PFT the skins are ofering Evans the about the same deal as the 49ers. That was a solid move to let Evans hit the market so that he could see what his market value was.

Posted by: TWISI | March 4, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"At 13, Oher and Orakpo are both available. Who do you guys take"

You go Oher, hands down, and twice on Sunday. Offense needs the help, more than the defense does.

However if all 4 of the T's are gone, and so is Orakpo, I'm not sure what I'd do. Thats quite the conundrum....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't count out Devin Clark as a G/T alternative this year; essentially as a developmental replacement for Fabini.

LB is shaping up as the most pressing draft need this year. There are not many strong-side LB free agents available (Crowder or maybe even resigning Washington to a lower salary); although there are quality LBs in the first two rounds of the draft.

The Skins could mask the DE deficiencies for another year by resigning Daniels. He already knows the scheme and has been effective when healthy.

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: russberlin65 | March 4, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

This guy is not starter material anymore. He's injury prone and the Redskins should stay away. Washington should focus on a younger player either in the draft or in free agency. They should be looking for some size at this position because obviously, the light defensive end experiment with Taylor didn't work out. I still like re-signing Evans as the best option and then hoping for some development out of the younger players. Maybe Buzzbee is ready to step up. If the team doesn't get someone in free agency or in the draft, myabe they should try moving Montgomery to end. He's never going to be as quick as a Jason Taylor, but he is a big man that can move on offensive lineman. With Griffin and Haynesworth in the middle, a solid end is going to complete tying up all of the offensive line leaving the linebackers free to fill gaps and attack from the outside.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 4, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

You going to get rid of Jenkins, Boswell, Korheiser, and Feinstein too?

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The big difference is that none of the above covers the team on a daily basis,and claim to be an insider with high level sources,only to be out scooped on every move the team makes....they're just offering their opinions on the moves after they happen,and then they don't turn around and offer up 3-6 articals on how bad of a move it was,without ever aknowledging the positive potential of said moves.i can't remember one posting about what type of an impact hayneworth and hall the players would have on the field.....

jlc is,or is supposed to be a reporter...reporters report columist,and fans offer their opinions...
if jlc and or jreid have the talent or knowledge to replace tony(who is retired)or any other columist,then they should apply for that job and stop trying to bigger than they are

Posted by: jumbo5383 | March 4, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

let me also be the first to say thank you Jreid for not trying to put a negative spin on this posting

Posted by: jumbo5383 | March 4, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

WHAT IF:

If both Andre Smith and Oher are there at #13, we trade all our picks to Detroit for #20 and #33, take whichever RT falls to us, and also Mack/Unger.

Draft value chart says its equal, not that that means much.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"...Why would you give D Evans 3 mil a year when SF offered him 2mil a year..."

It should've never come to this.

Evans should've been tendered well before FA started.

He's another example of a guy who's worked his way into an important role only to be stiffed because he doesn't have a big name.....like Prince Albert and MeAngelo both do.

Free agents always seem to count more than team guys to the redskins. A 'real' redskin knows he doesn't matter as much as some other team's developed big name player.

If I'm Evans, I give the skins the middle finger to read and learn to like M Singletary.

Folks we gotta start signing and protecting our own before other teams sweep in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should try to beat the 49er's offer to Evans (with a bonus check ... and a better locker ... and a ham sandwich).

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If he plays his cards right, they might up it to corned beef.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, don't you get it? If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, then a bird in the hand is worth half as much as a a bird in the bush. Skins pay more for guys on other teams (bush birds) than the guys they have in-house (hand birds) ... based on their worth. Its simple math really ... and poultry.

Posted by: dcsween | March 4, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

moe, stop....just stop...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

So, If Evans weighs more than a duck then he's made of wood and is therefore a witch.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 4, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

It depends. You could still draft a top LB or DE. Or try to trade down for a lower 1st and 2nd, then draft a starting SLB and backup C/G. I've even seen mock drafts, where Oher drops into the last 20's or 30's -- it would be excellent to obtain an additional 2nd and still draft a quality OT. Either way -- the Skins have to select at least one LB in the draft.

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2009 2:43 PM

Moe, The reason he doesn't have a "big name" -- or a big salary -- is because he's not a starter and no one wants to make him a starter.

Evans said he wants to start. San Francisco told him no, he'll be a rotational guy. So, how exactly is he better off in San Francisco? Skins at least are looking for a starter and could put incentives in his contract based on beating out someone else.

And the other thing is that San Francisco is a flat out sucky, clueless organization who just got owned by Kurt Warner.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

siris, I think that there wont be any DE or LB, if Orakpo/Curry are off the board worth the #13 pick.

Tyson Jackson/Everette Brown aren't worth the #13 pick.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Is there something wrong with K Barnes? Why have we not had him in yet? Relaible, pretty good and probably pretty cheap comparativly speaking.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | March 4, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Of course, Evans did go to the "University" of Georgia so he's probably forgotten more than periculum and can't figure out the difference between a ham sandwich and corned beef. Hope he has a Georgia Tech grad for an agent to explain this to him, slowly.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Dangit, Devery re-signed.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that I would label them as sucky or clueless yet. They have a strong football history like the Redskins but they have something that we don't right now. A no BS coach who will not settle for anything other than giving 100%. Singletary will turn that ship around in no time.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to offer an over/under on how long it takes the "Insider" to report on the Demetric Evans situation that Adam Schefter had a while ago? As posted above, Evans is negotiating with, and ultimately will choose between, the Skins and Niners on a 2 year deal worth around $4 million. I think I may start a blog called the "Redskins Insider Insider" where all of my posts rip on how poorly Jason LaCantwriteforshtta and Jason "I Can't" Reid do their jobs.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Evans didn't do better in FA. Maybe his agent sucks.

Evans is a capable starter and strong rotation player. Once canty left, I figured dal would go for Evans. Same position, plus the Skins d has given Romo fits. Get a guy who knows how Blache thinks, knows the signals, etc.

A lot of teams could and are doing worse than $2million for a solid defensive end who played on one of the league's better defenses.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"On November 9, 2006 Khalif Barnes was arrested for speeding (101mph) down J. Turner Butler Boulevard, and driving under the influence of alcohol. The license plate on the Barnes' 2007 silver Mercedes had also expired. He spent several hours in the Duval County jail before being released on $500 bond. Barnes was benched for the next game against the Houston Texans. Barnes called the white officer who pulled him over a racist and said the officer was a "KKK devil who hates all colored people".

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"I doubt the Skins would resign Daniels before the draft. Evans would be a better bet as he already knows the defensive scheme and is in demand.

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 2:22 PM"

It's the same system that Daniels has been in for years. Nothing major has changed.

I think we sign maybe one guy, D. Evans, before the draft. The draft should fill some holes but nothing is for sure.

I think we chase Leigh Bodden if we do not select a CB in the draft. And I think we resign P. Daniels.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a decent strategy to me... Why over pay for older, backup role players?

The Skins did the same thing to Cartwright last year. They allowed his agent and other teams to set the market price, then matched or improved it by 500k; if reasonable. This is particularly effective when there is a comparable free agent available and the player wants to come back...

Of course it can be somewhat of a gamble (e.g. Ryan Clark or Antonio Pierce)... However, Pierce was disgruntled with the defensive coaches treatment of LaVar and decided to take the Giants offer of 500k more in the first year.

Posted by: siris | March 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

IF all 4 Ts are gone (won't happen) and Raji, Orakpo, and Curry are all gone and you can't trade back (which you should be able to in this scenario cause more than likely it means someone high fell and someone will want them) it depends on who's there still but I say Cushing or Crabtree even though he is another WR he's too good a talent to pass up.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 4, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"At 13, Oher and Orakpo are both available. Who do you guys take"

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oher.

Even if Orakpo is there, I trade down for more picks - grab a later round LB and a bunch of young linemen.

We don't need to tie up #13 money on another LB/DE hybrid.

Posted by: p1funk | March 4, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 3:00 PM |

Can Singletary make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? Who's going to select personnel?
_________________________________________

Since McCloughan arrived in 2005, the team has made one personnel mistake after another. The Niners have drafted only two impact players out of 35 picks in the past four drafts -- running back Frank Gore and linebacker Patrick Willis, with offensive tackle Joe Staley on the bubble -- and they willingly have given player agents the combination to their vault.

They overpaid for QB Alex Smith after selecting him No. 1 overall in 2005 and are still paying a price for that mistake. Ditto free agency. They overspent for offensive tackle Jonas Jennings, cornerback Nate Clements and defensive end/outside linebacker Justin Smith, and they tried to overspend on Warner, based on the numbers his camp put out.

Once is a mistake. Twice is a trend. Three times is an explanation for six consecutive losing seasons.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 3:00 PM |

That's the popular opinion right now, and I'd like to believe that because I think Singletary is a good guy, but I think assuming he is the savior for that organization is a bit premature. Unless Singletary can play QB, I think the 49ers are not going to be that great anytime soon.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 4, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761

They are also owned by the Yorks and run by their 20 something son, not Eddie DeBartolo. Bill Walsh passed away. Carmen Policy is elsewhere.

These guys have a great history. But their personnel guy (if you can pronounce his name) isn't finding Montana, Young, Rice or Lott (dang that was a lot of talent)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 4, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"The Niners have drafted only two impact players out of 35 picks in the past four drafts"

How many impact players did we get out of the last 4 drafts? I would say Landry is one but he's not there yet.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 4, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

1ST!!!!

Posted by: tdpillo123 | March 4, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 4, 2009 2:43 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that the Skins told him "we want you back, but you need to go into the market and establish a value from someone else, and we will match it. Otherwise, we will give you the vet minimum."

Posted by: frediefritz | March 4, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Evans did get like 3.5 sacks for us last year. We shouldn't pay him top dollars though. I did think if Orakpo and the top O-lineman are gone at 13 who do we grab. I think we will pick up one of those LB's from USC. We really need to try to start building our team up with the players we already have. Rob Jackson and Chris Wilson mainly.

Posted by: louloudekdek1 | March 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The need is definitely OL, but OHER worries me. Can he grasp a pro offense? Will his parents have to attend meetings with him? A lot to invest in a question mark. I'd like to trade down and get more picks too.

Posted by: ElYeah | March 4, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

If Daniels can stay healthy, he's a natural for the Skins this season. He not only plays two positions quite well, he teaches the young'uns to play them, too. A lot of Evans' improvement stemmed from Daniels.

One season, that's all we ask. And if he can stay healthy.

IF...

Posted by: Samson151 | March 4, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

All I know is that right now:

Chris Wilson is our starting
DE and H.B Blades is our starting
Strong side LB

*** Scary***

We need to do something fast.

Posted by: rhowze | March 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I think it's great that Daniels is en route to making a strong recovery. However, he is clearly not the long term answer at DE. We have not drafted a DE in the first round since Kenard Lang and probably haven't picked a good one since Charles Mann. Now that is scary... I think the real problem with the release of Jason Taylor is that it does not allow us to put aside our DE troubles for another year. We need to do something for that position either in the draft or in free agency in addition to resigning Daniels.

Posted by: ershiver | March 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse