Here Come The Rooster (You Know He Ain't Gonna Die)

Ross Tucker, who is fighting for a reserve offensive line spot and is nicknamed "The Rooster" (hence the grunge-tinted title of the blog), was leaving the building yesterday afternoon after practice when he stopped in front of the media room.

Now, I have been on leave for a while tending to the around-the-clock gestation of my own O-Lineman in the making (Rocco), so this week was my first time back out The Park in a while. I had never crossed paths with Ross.

But all of a sudden this husky dude in the orange Princeton shirt opens the door and says, "Jason, what's up?" He introduces himself to me (okay, I am sure this happens to Wilbon all the time, by people of much greater stature than my new pal Ross, but it was a first for me. For the 12 years I have been covering pro sports, it's been me doing the intros.).

Anywho, turns out Ross is a loyal reader of RI, and he recognized me from the picture in the corner. First Lisa notices me on 14th Street, and now this. Pretty soon I am going to need someone from Tony Soprano's crew (or what's left of it) to do security for me. But seriously, it kind of caught me off guard.

First of all, Ross seemed like a great dude, and after about 2 minutes of talking to him and seeing his personality I hit him up for doing some guest blog entries (he's thinking about it but knows that he would have censor himself to a large degree on any public forum, and just might start his own blog, which I would check out regularly). I wrote a little item on him when he was signed a few months back and mentioned that I didn't know much about him other than he had been here before with the Skins and that he was nicknamed "The Rooster."

He was stunned that I knew his nickname, and I explained that I got a few random emails about it when he was signed. Ross said his grandfather gave him the nickname when he was a little kid and he didn't think anyone knew about it outside the family. I told him that the internets is a crazy, bizarro place and that pretty much all of the world's secrets are out there if you know where to look.

Anyway, this dude could not be more down-to-earth, gregarious and easy-going. Simply put, he's blog gold. He could be this year's Nick Novak on the blog-luv meter. Perhaps we have found our new muse.

Problem is, Ross has been out of the league for a while,. the Skins have brought back a lot of veteran O-Line depth guys and, well, I'm just not sure how long he'll be sticking around once camp starts. Let's keep our fingers crossed for him

Ross is also thinking about life beyond football - he's got an Ivy League education to fall back on - and would be a natural as a commentator (I could tell that in just the 10 minutes we spent together). He's attending a media boot camp the NFL is conducting for players in a couple of weeks, where current players will get a primer from seasoned broadcast pros (play-by-play and analysts alike) for three days on all the nuances of the industry.

He clearly loves the game, and understands his place in it. As he joked yesterday, "I'm the only guy to graduate from Princeton and get fired four times by four employers in four years," alluding to his vagabond NFL career. Here's to hoping the fifth time isn't too soon, although, like for all players, that day will come.

But the Rooster seems like he might be better equipped to cope with the end of playing days - whenever that may be - than most.

Randoms: I go to bed tasting the bile every night now (or more like 2:30). This West Coast swing is killing me. More horrible ump calls last night (glad to see Tito get himself chucked at least). Lugo's phantom tag at home. The BS strike call on Youk by DiNardo (who couldn't throw a strike all night). More horrible strike calls last night. You don't think that maybe MLB wants to Yankees to stay in the race do you? Like, that wouldn't be in their best interests at all would it, for like ratings and stuff? They wouldn't want Clemens's starts to actually mean anything, would they? I'm just sayin ...

Barring the unforeseen - which has now become commonplace in our household - Chloe will be going to her first soccer game Sunday at RFK (1 pm start, perfect for her nap schedule). We almost made it to a reserve game a few weeks back (you guys gotta check that out if you have kids - no traffic, 10 or 11 am kickoff, no lines, free admission), but alas, something came up. So if you see us, give a shout like The Rooster did, even if you think I stink. Should be a great day for soccer (pretty pumped for the Gold Cup game tonight; can't wait to see the lineup).

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 7, 2007; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lincoln's Guest Blog
Next: More Depth At CB - Jerametrius Butler Signed And Other Stuff

Comments

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Righto J-Lac.....Im here in ATL, havent been to RFK in like 5 years...is it still falling apart like it was back then? Was a depressing sight to see, I must say....

Posted by: Andrew | June 7, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

F Boston!

Posted by: 4th | June 7, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What's Rex doing these days? Is he still playin?

Re: Bosox - At least today's game is an afternoon game. I took the night off and skipped the Sox game last night. Wakefield games are so long. I have learned not to let my emotions ebb and flow with the ups and downs of a baseball season. They'll find their way back.

Posted by: Unconvinced | June 7, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Thanks for the insight on the "Rooster" - it's great that he follows the blog!

By the way, I read in the Post earlier this week that "The Wire" filmed a segment for the upcoming season at the Post. Were you there when the filming took place? I know you are a huge fan of The Wire....as I am.

Posted by: Lisa | June 7, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

i'm gonna be so sad when meadow dies

Posted by: pack4life | June 7, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't be shocked Jason, " J-La Can" translated as Jay the Can, will be world famous by the time your done. I'm guessing Tony and Wilbon call you in for a pinch hit on PTI if Kornie wants a day off to organize his sock drawer....

Posted by: Bob-Ashburn, VA. | June 7, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Redskins keep this guy Tucker aka The Rooster.
Also I am glad the Redsoxs are loosing. I am Yankee fan and it looks like we are finally getting are grove back.
A manager that throws his gum. Thats classic. I have never seen that it looked weird!

Posted by: Tommy | June 7, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

pack,

meadow's not getting it. that whole thing with the ukranian chick was a red herring. Paulie's already ratted to phil about T's whereabouts, but T sniffs it out. Tony's going to go state's against phil, ala sammy the bull, and he's going to jail while carm and the fam will be relocated.

You know how I know? Because Chase will never let this series be a cliche.

Oh, wait this is RI, not the wapo sopranos blog. I was on a tangent. Sorry

Posted by: Larry Bud | June 7, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Dude you're famous!! No need to carry business cards. If the Skins go deep into the playoffs you could become a household name in the greater metropolitan area. Maybe get guest slots on Kornheiser and Wilbon's ahow?

Posted by: periculum | June 7, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Friend of the Redskins Insider is a friend of mine. Where do I get my Ross Tucker jersey?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | June 7, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Put a pic of JLA in his plaid shorts in the upper corner. The whole eastern seaboard would recognize him then.

Posted by: disappointed | June 7, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Are you following the Sox and Yankees because you couldn't care less about the expos oops I mean Nationals.

Posted by: Tim | June 7, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

New CB for the Skins... I saw this one coming as soon as he was released.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | June 7, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

First of all, this is RI, not some blog about the Yanks or BoSox. How many of you Yanks or Sox fans are actually from NY or Bos? Yanks/Sox fans are the most annoying fans of any sport with the most god awful accents! The rest of you die hard Yans/Sox fans are BANDWAGON fans! After the Sox won the world series I've never seen so many brand new "B" hats around town, ridiculous!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

JLA,

Myself and ArtMonktotheSticks' boy who played lacrosse at Princeton was really good friends with Ross and said he is the man. Says he is down to Earth and a great dude and was psyched he was coming back to DC. Just an fyi for the people of the blog.

Posted by: The Governor | June 7, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Yankee stadium is a dump, if you take away Monument Park, it's on par with RFK. Actually, RFK is slightly better b/c you don't have to listen to those loud mouth obnoxious New Yorkers teaching their kids to be just as rude!

Posted by: I 2nd that! | June 7, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

They tried to get Butler in 2004 as a RFA but the Rams matched their offer sheet.

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | June 7, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I just knew we were going to sign him since we tried to acquire him previously.

Will this be the end of anybody who is a starter?

Posted by: 4th | June 7, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

We'll all be rooting for the rooster!

Posted by: RedskinsWarpath.com | June 7, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Great Chains reference

Posted by: Alice | June 7, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. Extremeskins.com gets Renaldo Wynn; we get the Rooster. Makes sense b/c RI is the thinking person's blog. :)

Hasta lu, Chip Cox, we hardly knew ye.

Posted by: dcsween | June 7, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

How much did we sign Butler for JLaC???

Posted by: 4th | June 7, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

What actually happened to Jerametrious Butler after 2004? That year was his career best, and he's stats crater after that. Schefter at nfl.com says that the Skins offered him a six year deal, but the Rams matched. That means they have four years of dead cap space, right? [or is dead cap space only for unaccelerated signing bonus?] Seven year guy. That's as many as Macklin, one more than Smoot. I'm hoping that means these vets are insurance. It would be nice for at least one of the younger guys (1 season or rookie) to make the roster b/c, though I'm pleased that Springs is looking like the #1 CB, he is entering his 10th season.

Posted by: dcsween | June 7, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm a sox fan, and I'm from the Boston area, born, and raised. Been a sox/Skins fan most of my life.

Man up and sign your name...

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 7, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

4th floor, Schefter says 1 year for $595K.

Posted by: dcsween | June 7, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

63 career games with nine interceptions
That's almost 15% of the games he intercepted. That's a nice thing for us. It's also nice that he's a working guy and not a star. Sounds more like the team building that we should have.

Hey, Jason, how do you rate soccer as a contact sport?

Posted by: Neil in Durango | June 7, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Thursday, June 7
Back in March 2004, the Redskins signed restricted free-agent cornerback Jerametrius Butler to a six-year offer sheet that the St. Louis Rams wound up matching. But after the Rams cut Butler this week, the Redskins signed Butler again -- this time to a one-year, $595,000 contract. Butler was at practice Thursday with the Redskins, who were happy to add the depth at the position. "

Thanks Adam Schefter!

Posted by: 4th | June 7, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Butler couldn't cover a folding chair, I wouldn't get to excited.

Posted by: RC | June 7, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

we got a 5th string CB vet who we can depend on if Springs, Smoot, Rogers, and MAcklin gets injured.

Alternative reason # 5 - Puts another CB in fromt of having Ade Jimoh on the field while defense is actually being played.....

Posted by: 4th | June 7, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Butler, 28, spent six years with the St. Louis Rams, but missed the 2005 season with a knee injury and played sparingly after returning last year.

Butler, a fifth-round draft pick out of Kansas State in 2001, played in 63 games with 31 starts for the Rams. His best season was 2004, when he had five interceptions and 79 tackles.

The Rams did attempt to trade Butler during this year's draft, but found no serious suitors at the time, in part because of Butler's contract. His deal with the Rams had three years remaining, at base salaries of $2 million (2007), $2.5 million (2008) and $3 million (2009).

Butler's career began to spiral, however, when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in the team's 2005 training camp. After Butler rehabilitated the surgically repaired knee, he sustained a serious hamstring injury last summer in camp.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com senior writer Len Pastabelly was used in this report.

Posted by: 4th Floor | June 7, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Butler couldn't cover a folding chair, I wouldn't get to excited.

Posted by: RC | June 7, 2007 02:25 PM

That was before this was inserted in his playbook: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5529373-description.html

Posted by: LH | June 7, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Born and raised in Boston? I didn't think there was anyone down here from the Mass area, congrats! I'm sure you love all the bandwagon fans that jump all over a winner. Where were all these Sox fans back in the mid 90's? I know they were around in the Yaz, Rice and Freddy Lynn days (if they're old enough to remember), but they seemed to disappear for a decade or so.

Posted by: Matt - VA (does that make me a man now?) | June 7, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Bandwagon fans? You mean Yankee fans. When I read Rooster, I think Rick Burleson, Red Sox shortstop with a sidearm throw. George "Boomer" Scott and Fred Lynn playing the Monster were my heroes.

You're born a Red Sox fan. We chanted "Yankees Suck" when the Pats won the Super Bowl. It's a baseball town.

Football fans are usually much more transient. I became a Skins fan because the Pats were so atrocious in my younger days. And while I do enjoy the Pats winning ways and dominant game, I still pine for a resurgent Redskins. Still holding out, but unconvinced at the moment.

Posted by: Unconvinced | June 7, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I know that Boston has some of the most die hard fans in the world, there's no mistaking that fact. My original post was targeted at the many people who jump on a team for it's recent winning way (i.e. Yanks & Sox). You can always tell a true Sox fan, he/she's the one with the old beat up "B" cap, not the one that was purchased the week of the W.S.

Posted by: Matt | June 7, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm still living in the Boston area, South Shore to be specific.

Yeah, there are tons of band-wagon fans since 2004. If you asked them who Yastremski is, they'd give you a blank look, but not much else.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 7, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Alice in Chains still puts on a pretty solid show without frontman Layne Staley. Saw them last fall.

Soccer is not a contact sport. Players are very good athletes, lots of endurance but flop way worse than dudes in the NBA.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Lisa - was not aroudn for the Wire taping but can't wait for th enext season. focusing on the media - should be great.

Annonymous dude - socce ris not a contact spoort? surely you joke. go tell Brian McBrida that. Dude, it may be the most demanding sport in the world with all of the cardio and the grueling year-round schedule. it's very demanding, trust. it lacks the brutal physicality of American football - which I love - but is very, very tough on the body in its own right and is very much a contact sport (diving aside - it makes me sick, too).

Didnt luv the latest Sopranos episode. I have a feeling Walnuts does something crazy in the finale (like whack Tony and go join Leotardo's crew). Just a hunch.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 7, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse