He's Gone, Oh I, I'd Pay the Devil to Replace Him/ He's Gone - What Went Wrong?

John Hall, definitely not high on consolation, has just left the building, again, and this time I don't think he's coming back. Hall, who was placed on injured reserve yesterday ending his season with the Redskins and perhaps his career, sneaked out of Redskins Park Tuesday.

This morning, he streaked to a limo parked at the front door, and when I politely asked him if he had a minute, he slammed the door without a word.

Oh well. Probably would have been a short interview anyway. For what it's worth, he seemed to be moving pretty well for a dude with an injured leg for the third straight season.

Nick Novak, our guy, will be available to talk during the upcoming open locker room session, so I'll let everyone know how that goes.

-0-

I'm pretty sure that an NFL Films episode titled "Grim Reapers" is airing at 1:30 this afternoon on ESPN. All you fans of No. 36/No.21 might want to check it out. Would only be fitting if Sean Taylor is included ... Spent some time on the phone with gambling guru Wayne Allyn Root for a story I am working on for Sunday's paper. I think he is the fastest talker I have ever encountered. He must live his entire life like he's making one of those 60 second pitches to call a 1-877 number for his weekly picks. I couldn't resist ending the chat by asking him who he likes in the Skins/Titans game, and he said, from a gambling perspective, he would not touch that one. Root loved the Giants last weekend, however, and said it was one of the games he played most heavily this season. He likes a Chicago/Denver Super Bowl.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 11, 2006; 11:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guess Who's Back, Back Again
Next: The Punter Situation

Comments

Good thing you weren't close enough for him to kick you in the...oh wait, he's injured right?

Posted by: Megskin | October 11, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Next time you talk to WAR tell him that he's got it all wrong... He should like the Skins / Denver pick for the Super Bowl.

Welcome back Nick

Posted by: Franky Four Fingers | October 11, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

JLa,

Can you ask someone on the D staff/player that since they are clearly picking on the Holdman/Carter side are they planning any changes.

I'd ask you to start singing the Rocky Theme but perhaps i'm asking too much.

Posted by: Skinz | October 11, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

and he said, from a gambling perspective, he would not touch that one.

Anyone got some prozac on them?

Posted by: Megskin | October 11, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Jason, if you're reading this, a quick question about your piece today on Sellers. I could have sworn he WAS on the field for that infamous 3rd and 1. Didn't he chip block then run out into the flat before Brunell tried to gun it to Cooley? Is he saying he wasn't on the field? Just trying to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me.

Posted by: Big Media | October 11, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least he still has a limo...
That's too bad that Hall chose to leave that way. When I toiled for the tabbies in New York, he was a good guy and a decent kicker -- although I freely admit I tried not to watch the Jets very often.

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 11, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

From today's USATODAY:

At 2-3, the Redskins are tied with San Francisco for 11th in the race for the six NFC playoff berths, but they're actually in worse shape because the 49ers, Green Bay and Arizona each have a conference victory. Only winless Detroit (0-5) and Tampa Bay (0-3) are as bad off in NFC play as Washington (0-3). And the Redskins are in last place (0-2) in the NFC East, trailing Philadelphia, Dallas and the New York Giants, all at least .500 overall and in conference and division games.

If you find any pass it this way Meg.

Posted by: Skinz | October 11, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Big Media. I though he started out in the H-Back positions then they shifted to I-form where he was the fullback.

Posted by: Skinz | October 11, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

He got into a limo? Where was he going? Prom?

Can't the 'Skins cut Hall if they wanted to? They just wouldn't be able to re-sign him this year, that's all. Or am I thinking of the PUP List rules? So many darn rules in the NFL.

I'll bet he's miffed because by putting him on IR, the 'Skins are basically saying that he's done for the year. No chance to latch on to a contender, no chance to prove that he belongs in a camp next year, etc.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 11, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think it's like the PuP rule. You can't cut a player that's hurt.

Posted by: Skinz | October 11, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Jason, just be thankful that Hall didn't try to tackle you. That's one thing he's actually not too bad at doing, even when he's injured.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 11, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal with Landeta, are they getting rid of Frost?

Posted by: PSUAsh | October 11, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Landeta? His kicks aren't on my list...of the best things in life.

Posted by: Ttlsccr | October 11, 2006 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Based on current stanings the Broncos get the Skins 11th pick in the 1st round of next year draft and the Skins get the Broncs 21th pick?

Posted by: JB | October 11, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

as far as punters go, why not try to bring in Sauerbrun and play him at punter and at LB?

Posted by: cmurphy | October 11, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

If they cut him they'd have to pay him an injury settlement. By putting him on IR, he's done for the year. Assuming his contract is not up, he's still a Redskin and will be required to show up for camp next year.

Too bad he went out on less than pleasant terms. He's gone -- he'd better learn how to face it.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 11, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's get Saurbrun. Hey, I heard Lawrence Phillips might be available! Anyone know if we can trade a 3rd rounder for Maurice Clarett? Man, that guy was sweet at Ohio St!

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 11, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

hey there. Hall would have to reach an injury settlement with them, and I assuming that if he thinks he can catch on someplace else his agent is trying to work that out with the team. But to make room for Novak they needed a roster spot, and thus put Hall on IR.
Actually, the team showed him great loyalty and kept him around - and paid him - for two seasons in which he was laregly injured, so you've got to remember that as well.

As for Sellers, he told me he was out of the formation and a spectator on that play. Maybe he was thinking of another play or misunderstood the question, but I was asking him specifically about the third-and-one, and that's what he said.

We'll get more info on Landetta later this afternoon and see what Joe has to say about it. They work out players every Tues. - that's the norm around the NFL - but the fact they checked out a punter can't make Frost feel to comfortable. Of course, last time they tried guys out he starting punting better, so who knows.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | October 11, 2006 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Judging by recent history he'll come back as a Giant and kick a game winning field goal over us.

Posted by: Megskin | October 11, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs' patience with Hall had been remarkable, and unprecedented. When Mark Moseley, one time league MVP and member of a Super Bowl winning team, struggled mightily early in 1986, Gibbs dropped him like a bad habit. Hall never did anything for the Redskins, or Gibbs, and yet consistently received the benefit of doubt.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Wild card rankings now?
Near endless machinations
Make such talk worthless.

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 11, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Hall can take his $5M+ and go cry me a friggin river. What a punk.

Posted by: CMoney | October 11, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

No one answered my Jonathan Sullivan question.

Posted by: The Governor | October 11, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

As for last year, we were 5-1 in the NFC East, but we did not wim the Division. We BEALY made it to the playoffs (We were the last team to get in). The Division only matters as a tie breaker. So does the Conference games.

Posted by: A Dog | October 11, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Joe,

I'd give you better odds of Lawerence Phillips and Maurice Clarett sharing the same jail cell than getting them in the same backfield

Any idea how posting a player's bond money or paying his legal fees count against cap money or should I be posting this on the Cincy blog?

Adam

Posted by: PhillyFan | October 11, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Bringing in Sullivan might not be a bad idea.

Jason - Make sure you guys inquire about that.....

Posted by: A Dog | October 11, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, the Redskins haven't done much for us to even consider talking about the playoffs. They haven't scored an offensive TD against an NFC East opponent this year...pathetic. They are in a big hole in the NFC and NFC East...great comment from USATODAY, Skinz.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Who cares that Hall is gone. The punk was injured all the time. JC any news on changes on the D?

Posted by: jm220 | October 11, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else find Redskins Lunch with Larry Michael to be annoying? I love the Redskins, but listening to that guy is painful.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Greetings all from beautiful Martha's Vineyard!

So naturally, after visiting every so often, reading all that I could, and enjoying it all immensely, I have now become utterly and inescapably addicted. It's lonely being a Skins fan in Patriot country so this is my lifeline. JLC, you're doing a terrific job and this little community of bloggers is a testament to you and your work. Cindy, you ain't so bad yourself.

dcsween, for what it's worth, the correct spelling is Laveranues.

Now if I may, an ode to you-know-who (in limerick form):

Is there any way that we can measure
Just how much she gives us pleasure?
Love struck and bitten
From what she has written
Megskin is indeed our greatest treasure

My sincerest apologies to HaikuMan:

HaikuMan is great
Don't want to steal his thunder
May not have a choice

Posted by: MV Dame | October 11, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

RULES FOR MEN:
1: Under no circumstances may two men share an umbrella

2: It is ok for a man to cry under the following circumstances:
a. When a heroic dog dies to save its master.
b. The moment Angelina Jolie starts unbuttoning her blouse.
c. After wrecking your boss' car.
d. One hour, 12 minutes, 37 seconds into "The Crying Game".
e. When she is using her teeth.

3: Any Man who brings a camera to a bachelor party may be legally
killed and eaten by his friends.

4: Unless he murdered someone in your family, you must bail a friend
out of jail within 12 hours.

5: If you've known a man for more than 24 hours, his sister is off
limits forever, unless you actually marry her.

6: Moaning about the brand of free beer in a friend's fridge is
forbidden. However complain at will if the temperature is unsuitable.

7: No man shall ever be required to buy a birthday present for another
man. In fact, even remembering your friend's birthday is strictly
optional.

8: On a road trip, the strongest bladder determines pit stops, not the
weakest.

9: When stumbling upon other men watching a sporting event, you may
ask the score of the game in progress, but you may never ask who's
playing.

10: You may flatulate in front of a woman only after you have brought
her to climax.

(However : If you trap her head under the covers for the purpose of
flatulent entertainment, she's officially your girlfriend.)

11: It is permissible to drink a fruity alcohol drink only when you're
sunning on a tropical beach... and it's delivered by a topless
supermodel ... and it's free.

12: Only in situations of moral and/or physical peril are you allowed
to kick another man in the nuts.

13: Unless you're in prison, never fight naked.

14: Friends don't let friends wear Speedos. Ever. Issue closed.

15: If a man's fly is down, that's his problem, you didn't see
anything.

16: Women who claim they "love to watch sports" must be treated as
spies until they demonstrate knowledge of the game and the ability to
drink as much as the other sports watchers.

17: A man in the company of a hot, suggestively dressed woman must
remain sober enough to fight.

18: Never hesitate to reach for the last beer or the last slice of
pizza, but not both, that's just greedy.

19: If you compliment a man on his six-pack, you'd better be talking
about his choice of beer.

20: Never join your girlfriend or wife in discussing a friend of yours,
except if she's withholding sex pending your response.

21: Phrases that may NOT be uttered to another man while lifting
weights:
a. Yeah, Baby, Push it!
b. C'mon, give me one more! Harder!
c. Another set and we can hit the showers!

22: Never talk to a man in a bathroom unless you are on equal footing,
i.e., both urinating, both waiting in line, etc. For all other
situations, an
almost imperceptible nod is all the conversation you need.

23: Never allow a telephone conversation with a woman to go on longer
than you are able to have sex with her. Keep a stopwatch by the phone.
Hang up if necessary.

24: The morning after you and a girl who was formerly "just a friend"
have carnal drunken monkey sex, the fact that you're feeling weird and
guilty is no reason for you not to nail each other again before the
discussion about what a big mistake it was occurs.

25: It is acceptable for you to drive her car. It is not acceptable for
her to drive yours.

26: Thou shall not buy a car in the colors of brown, pink, lime green,
orange or sky blue.

27: The girl who replies to the question "What do you want for
Christmas?" with "If you loved me, you'd know what I want!" gets an
Xbox 360. End of story.

28: There is no reason for men to watch Men's Gymnastics. ... Ever

Posted by: A Dog | October 11, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

A Dog,

We did barely make it in. We were also almost the second seed. Had that Alstott play at the goalline been called back we'd have been the #2 seed, pretty crazy.

Posted by: Skinz | October 11, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hall should have been cut before his annual "Injury of the year" came around. It would have saved the skins cap room and now they have to wait until June to avoid a big hit. Don't forget he received a nice signing bonus that has to be prorated over the length of the contract if he is here or not....

Posted by: Bob-Ashburn, VA. | October 11, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

A Dog,

Where do you work? I need to get a job there if you have that much time on your hands.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

A Dog...pretty inappropriate for this blog, I'd say.

I shoouldn't have to get "spammed" while reading here.

Posted by: bornafan | October 11, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Question: How sick or injured does a girlfriend have to be for the excuse "I don't feel good" to be reason to miss Redskins football?

Because I missed the first 7 minutes of the Redskins/Giants game and she's still alive. Foul.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | October 11, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bob in Ashburn...next year is the last year of Hall's contract. There's no cap hit. In fact, they'll save money by not having to pay his salary next year. They'll just have the last 1/5 of the prorated bonus against the cap.

Posted by: Groin Strain | October 11, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, can we actually talk Redskins football on this blog?

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 1:13 PM | Report abuse

A Dog you know you are just plain stupid right bra. LMAO!! Man you are going to get my fired. (cannot stop laughing tears running down my face)

Posted by: jm220 | October 11, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Have you people forgotten that Hall is married to Gibbs' daughter's friend's third cousin's niece? Bye John. A limo. What a doofiss.

JMan, what up with Eubanks? Can this guy play or is he too Not-D-Green?

ADog. Never get too tired of those. Wet myself.

Why is Larry Michael stiil around? A complete tool in my view. Hearing his play by play makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty ice pic while standing in a wading pool of pirhanas.
No playoff discussion before week 13 pleeeeease.

Late.

Posted by: coolio | October 11, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Terry lighten up. Some of them are really funny.

Posted by: jm220 | October 11, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato:

During the work out, Danny was out their charting each one of them kicking field goals from all different distances--the middle, left, and right hashes. Nick Novak never missed a kick. He was the only one who was 100 percent.

Didn't Jason mention yesterday that Novak missed his last kick?

Just wondering...

Posted by: Rob | October 11, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

jm220,

Some comments are funny, but it would be refreshing to talk Redskins football instead of trying to be funnier or more clever than the next person.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Rob, the Wa Times reported that he missed his last one too. Maybe Vinny was tying Mr. Snyder's shoe lace on that last one.

Posted by: coolio | October 11, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Grades for MV Dame:
"A" for effort and subjects,
Flow, "C" - but write more!

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 11, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad that I won't have to see the picture of Hall with that mop-hairstyle everytime his stats are shown on tv...

and it didn't take A-dog too long to post that list...however long it takes to copy and paste, thats about it...b/c i've seen that list somewhere before

Posted by: DC Luv | October 11, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Terry, you're right on the money about Larry Michael. The guy minimizes every negative (he is a paid Reskins employee, after all) and he's not that great on the air to boot. What makes him 10 times worse is that he took Frank Herzog's job -- it's hard not to like Frank. I was hoping he'd get the Nats radio gig, if he wanted it.

Posted by: Radiohead | October 11, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

High praise coming from you, HaikuMan. Will do my best...

Posted by: MV Dame | October 11, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Putting John Hall on IR is Novak insurance ... in case the new kicker who feels secure in his job turns into the old kicker who needs to feel insecure about his job. John Hall will kick again ... only he will have to ride the tryout circuit like Cortez/Peterson/Kimrin/etc. Old kickers don't get too old (see Morton Andersen), they just get sick of trying. The Hall bashing (like the off-again-bandwagoning about the Skins) seems unnecessary. The bad is never as bad as it seems and the good is never as good as it seems.

Eubanks was invited to the Skins camp because he has some amazing college stats as a return specialist (punts and kicks). He was on the depth chart over the summer before anyone heard of him ... back when people were all gushy about Espy and Buck Ortega. [I never understood why Espy got some much return tryout in the preseason and Eubanks got none.] I don't think the team is really thinking about Eubanks as a DB, though we certainly could use one.

My favorite thing about today's thread is J-La providing the therapy and telling us to calm down about the playcalling.

Note to J-La: Get used to this "calm down" talk. I have two girls, 4 yrs and 20 months; the first is a real drama queen. The majority of my parenting role is convincing her to stop crying/whining/focused unhappiness and "calm down" when she is not hurt and things are just going badly. What this has earned me is a daughter who likes to watch the Redskins with me (even if she does doze off on the couch). She is not a metal head, but she does enjoy Led Zepplin and Phish.

Posted by: dcsween | October 11, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

NWO 4 LIFE! HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN AND THE WOLFPAC ARE JUST TOO SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 11, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks dcsween on Euwbanks.

Not too early to get her throwin' the rock. Once they get the spiral down, becomes an obsession. My girls are 13 and 16 and can heave it to make a Dad proud.

Posted by: coolio | October 11, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Phish stink. So do the Greatful Dead and String Cheese Incident and any other hippie-jam band.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 11, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Terry, dude, it's a blog. There are no rules. The 'Skins are going to go through another nightmare first half, rally for the second half, and possibly pull a playoff berth out of their rear ends. We all know it. Let's just have some fun.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 11, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Radiohead,

I think Larry Michael lacks any real substance and objectivity. Like you said, he minimizes every Redskins negative. (Good point about him being a Redskins employee, by the way.) And trying to fill the shoes of Frank Herzog is extremely difficult. Can we even compare Michael with Herzog?

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

As long as the 'Skins scoop up everyone's free agents, and strike big checks each year, the bulls eye on their backs grows ever larger.

The more we sit here and hype this team up, the more juiced up the opponents get. Its all about leverage and finding an edge in the NFL these days, and the Redskins feed their opponents with dozens reasons why they should kid their butts. The 'Skins are doomed as long as they keep this 'playing-for-now', rather than 'build for the future' attitude.

Its a shame, really, how much talent has come and gone on this team through ownership's and leadership's impatience.

Sorry for rocking the boat, but thats how I feel.

Posted by: Aaron | October 11, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Hall is gone. I've never had faith in him. He missed a critical field goal against the Chargers last year that could have prevented OT. And after the Vikings miss, I swore-off all faith in him forever. He's a head-case. Maybe the new baby screwed him up. How can you keep a kicker that you have no faith in when kicking a 40 yarder? I'm glad he's gone, injured or not.

Posted by: Guy | October 11, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy,

I'm not holding my breath that the Redskins are going to rally in the second half of this season. Anything can happen, but the Redskins really don't look like a good football team. They certainly don't look better than anyone in the NFC East.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Terry, if you feel this way. What is your thoughts about Campbell starting?

Posted by: jm220 | October 11, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Chief Wiggum: the most truthful comment of the day. I applaud your wisdom.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 11, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Can we even compare Michael with Herzog?

No. Not even close. If he had any integrity at all he'd give Herzog his job back.

I don't care whether Herzog got the names and numbers all mixed up or whatever; as far as I'm concerned he should have been running that radio show until he died. Even then we could just have him stuffed. Sonny and Sam would just prop him up in his seat like a plank of wood and in between plays they could shovel stuft-crust pizza into his mouth.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, that last one was mine about Herzog being a corpse :P

Posted by: Megskin | October 11, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Terry, never discount the importance of a logo change. If they switch to all black unis, you wait and see. There's nothing wrong with the 'Skins that a decent haberdasher couldn't fix.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 11, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

jm220,

Good question. I'm kind of leaning towards seeing Campbell get some action. He's not going to learn Saunders' offense by standing on the sideline with a clipboard. And, let's face it, Brunell is not the future of this team. Credit to the guy for taking us to the playoffs last season, but he's just not the future.

When should Campbell start to play? The Skins don't play another NFC opponent until Dallas comes to town on 5 Nov. If we lost that game and drop to 0-4 in the NFC and 0-3 in the NFC East, I'd think that that would be as good a time as any. It's a tough call, to be sure, but the Redskins have to be ready to pull the trigger sooner or later. The Giants benched Kurt Warner two years ago when they were 5-5 and still in the playoff hunt, and look at the progress that Eli Manning has made since that time. What do you think?

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny, P Diddy. Speaking of uniforms, I sure wish that the Redskins would stop wearing the white on white combination already.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the respone Terry. I thought it should have been done at the start of the season. But since that hasn't happened. I say after the Colts game. Brunell will have another awful game against the Colts so why wait any longer after that.

Posted by: jm220 | October 11, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm all about seeing what Campbell can do. Brunell is so streaky. He's making amazing throws one day, and being humbled the next.

And the reason the 'Skins had a killer run at the end of last season was because the majority of the "more" difficult games were at home in front of a stoked crowd (Cowboys, Giants), we commited to pounding the ball with Portis, and our defensive line finally produced. Not because Brunell kept lighting things up, he managed the game as he should have, but the rest of the team showed up as well. Thats an important thing to notice, I think.

Posted by: Aaron | October 11, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an in-practice and in-game disconnect as far as Brunell's general playmaking is concerned. Could it be that Saunders and Gibbs haven't pulled the trigger because they see Brunell having great practices, and expect it to carry over to the games in general? Perhaps he's throwing and moving well in practice, and the Head Deity and the Assistant Deity presume that all is getting better. Any way to figure that part out?

Posted by: FlimFlam | October 11, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hope this isn't a breach of blog etiquette, but all you men on here marvelling at the ladies with football knowledge (shoutout to MegSkin) should check this out:

Posted by: Diva | October 11, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Diva I read the article earlier this morning. I think it is great. If a person can produce why not give them a chance.

Posted by: jm220 | October 11, 2006 3:00 PM | Report abuse

jm220,

You're welcome. It would have been nice to see Campbell at the beginning of the season, but I believe that personnel decisions like that aren't made by the Redskins b/c they think that they can buy a championship each offseason via free agency. Here's my rationale: They spend outrageous money on players and they don't want to commit themselves to anything even close to resembling a "rebuilding" year. Playing Campbell from Day One this season would have been considered just that, and here we sit at 2-3 with a 36 year old QB...and the future stands on the sideline as the inactive 3rd QB every game. Poor personnel decisions have haunted the Redskins since Snyder purchased the team.

Posted by: Terry | October 11, 2006 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious if any of you guys who are pulling for Campbell to make an appearance this season have watched Phillip Rivers this season? He's in his 3rd year, finally getting playing time, and actually playing pretty well. He's been on record as saying that, although he hated being on the bench, the 2 years behind Brees taught him a lot. He even went as far as to say that there wasn't a lot that defenses could throw at him that he hadn't already seen.

I think a lot of people subcribe to this philosophy that a QB has to "take his lumps" before he'll be any good. Lot of good that did David Carr or Joey Harrington -- they're still sorry quarterbacks. Putting Campbell in a position to initially fail is not a recipe for future success.

Let's just hope that he's learning everything he can and that when he's called on he'll be ready to succeed.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 11, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

JM, I felt the same way. Great to see a lady doing her thing on the football field!

Posted by: Diva | October 11, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Joe I'll see your Harrington and raise you a Rothlesburger.

I'll see your Carr and Raise you a Manning.

Last year a second year player won the super bowl and a Second year player led the league in passing yards.

Fact is we don't know what we get with JC. We do know what we have with Brunell.

Posted by: Skinz | October 11, 2006 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Correction.

Emanning.com passed for the 5th most yards not 1st. Still passed for more than his brother.

Posted by: skinz | October 11, 2006 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Joe,

I live in San Diego and the Chargers play in the weakest division in football, played a struggling Steelers team at home, played the sorry no account Raiders and Titans, and lost to the Ravens. Rivers hands off to the best back in the game, throws to the best TE in the game, has a good defense to fall back on and stellar weather in which to play, so lets not assume that everything is cream-cheese in San Diego becuase of the QB play.

I think Rivers is playing exceptionally well right now, but that should be tempered with the fact that he is not being asked to do too much. Marty S. is a ball control, conservative coach and Rivers is benefitting from that.

Baptism by fire happend successfully with Manning 1 and Rothliesburger (sp?). Roethliesburger succeeded for the same reasons Rivers has (i.e. conservative approach, great run game, good defense).

I would love to see what J.Campbell can do at some point, but with the defenses that the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants all have, coupled with the weather on the east coast, and the difficult schedule, who knows how he could react. Maybe put him in if the 'Skins are dead last in the division at the mid way point.

Posted by: Aaron | October 11, 2006 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Groin Strain, I was thinking there would be more of a cap hit if they cut him as opposed to putting him on Injured reserve, but good point.

Posted by: Bob Ashburn, VA. | October 11, 2006 4:20 PM | Report abuse

You consider the AFC West the weakest? Wow. I would say that with the exception of Oakland, they are a pretty strong division. NFC West or North get my vote for weakest.

I remember Rivers at NC State. He was a good QB but got mega-hyped in the draft. I would say he is a guy who very much benefitted from learning from the bench. Looked good in the Sunday nighter.

Skinz, I appreciate your point of view, but I would say that the jury is very much still out on emanning and Roth. The list of guys who got rushed into it too early goes on forever. Ask P. Ramsey how taking lumps worked out. I'd hate to see that happen to Campbell.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 11, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Ask P. Ramsey how taking lumps worked out.

Probably a lot better than the big-a$$ knife with Joe Gibb's initials on it he had to pull out of his back.

Posted by: Megskin | October 11, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, last year we were 5-1 in the NFC East and 10-6 overall and it came down to tie breakers. In order to make it to the playoffs this year I'm thinking we will probably have to be 10-6 again, and probably will have to win tie breakers. So those conference and division records are VERY important. To go 10-6 this year we would have to go 8-3 the rest of the season. I would say as inconsistent as this team is playing right now, it's a VERY long shot to make the playoffs this year. If we go 9-7, those tie breakers will be even more important!!

Posted by: A dog | October 11, 2006 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Joe in Raleigh,

Putting Campbell in now with a good o-line and great surrounding cast is a recipe for success! (See 2005 Ben Rothlesburger). Sitting him on the bench until the O-line is older and more injury prone, and our talented WR's move on to more successful teams is a recipe for failure.

Posted by: Max | October 11, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Max, I don't totally disagree with you. But it's a decision that they should have made in March before all the camps started.

Meg, well said.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 11, 2006 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The success of young QB's is generally determined by their offensive lines. I think we have a pretty good one here in Washington right now and I'd be very interested to see if Campbell could be productive in this system. He certainly brings to the table a vertical passing game that Brunell can't provide - Additionally, he can run when a defense is playing cover 2 which throws a monkey wrench in defensive game planning. Brunell can't really run well anymore and can't throw an accurate deep ball anymore. A QB with more weapons opens up more options for the offense and makes it more difficult for defenses to game plan. We need a more well rounded QB. Particularly with the great coaches we have in the NFC east. Those coaches are proven to be some of the best in the game. They can gameplan for any 1-dimensional QB. Bring in the 3-D QB (Run, short pass, deep ball) Campbell!! Let's bring him in while we still have some talent for him to work with!!

Posted by: Max | October 11, 2006 5:20 PM | Report abuse

A Dog, your post is the exact thing we were talking about today around the water cooler

Posted by: Franky Four Fingers | October 11, 2006 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm still laughing about #27, A Dog.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | October 11, 2006 6:04 PM | Report abuse