Heyer Update/ Waiting For Bubba/Stuff

First some news - Coach Joe says it looks like Stephon Heyer will be the starting left tackle Saturday at the Titans after his strong work in the scrimmage.

Clinton Portis was not in pads and that's a day-to-day process getting him back from the knee tendinitis. The wide receiver is still out with shin splints. Guard Jason Fabini is still out with a groin - Coach Joe said he thinks both are getting close to a return.

Guard Randy Thomas said he believes he has to get some snaps Saturday and wants to be out there for at least a few plays with the first team. Chris Samuels told me he started his cardio work today, his knee is coming along well and he thinks he'll be back in less than four weeks from the time of the injury.

Poor Tyler Ecker might be watching his NFL career flash before his eyes. Still not even in pads with a groin injury. Jerametrius Butler is still out. WR Mike Espy was back at practice

They were playing some fooseball out there today, folks. Lots of hitting, lots of one-on-one drills, lots of blocking drills. Marcus Washington did a number on Ladell Betts in a blitz pick-up drill - all legal, just some contact - and Ladell was getting looked at in his shoulder and neck. Coach Joe says nothing looks to be a big deal, but we are waiting on Bubba Tyer, director of sports medicine, for a full report.

Likewise, Big Mike Sellers had to get some attention on his right knee in the same drill, but returned to practice (Sellers went up against novive LB Matt Sinclair at one point,ate the kid alive, flung him like a ragdoll - Sellers may still have some of the kid's soul still stuck between his teeth - and ended up with Sinclair's helmet in his hands, then tossed it aside like he was flicking sunflower seeds. If I was a Skins fan, that dude would be my favorite player hands down).

Guard Will Whitticker got hurt later in practice, and we're waiting for that update.

That's all I got for now. Hoping to get home in time to put Chloe to ped. We shall see.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 6, 2007; 6:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Correction
Next: Injury Update (Bubba Speaks)

Comments

firs....no f that.

love the wide receiver is out with shin splints. he deserves no name recognition.

Posted by: cdubb | August 6, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Primo! "SJK" it!

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

You mean Brandon "the red-finned tuna" Lloyd?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Heyer is staring the preseason at left tackle. Interesting commentary relative to Gaither verus
Heyer. Didn't know UMD, the terpy alma mater, was
a breeding ground for OL? Well there is Glover?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Who is JC's team since he said he's not a Skins fan?

Posted by: Dolt | August 6, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't ya know it. I post my masterpiece on the subject and Jasno end runs me.

Here it is again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Heyer will make the team. (I know. Wrong thread but everyone was done with the last one and my ego wouldn't allow me to post this there.)

He is better than Gaither. I saw them both play and practice and saw Gaither in school in SOMD. He has played through the knee problems and during the scrimmage had nary a brace on neither knee.

He was the heart, soul and talent of the Terps Oline last season. He also is a man of large carriage. In fact more of the prototypical T/G type that the skins favor.

Gaither should have stayed at MD another year because to say he's raw and lacks a work ethic is putting it mildly. Wake's puny D-line ate him up.

I'm sorry, but Jasno's usually well founded bias for the Raven's F/O will not hold up on this, I do believe.

By the by, anybody drinkin' tonite? I gots a jones for smoe brews. Anybody tried anything new or just good lately?

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 6, 2007 07:37 PM

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 6, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Dolt,

Go back through previous threads and you'll find out why the WaPo will never lat Jasno cover the Ravens. And probably not the Colts, but for opposite reasons.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 6, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Dolt, you obviously were not here last year......Jason loves the Ravens....

Posted by: Lisa | August 6, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Settled on two growlers of Saranac Pale Ale. That ought to get me set.

Sellers is my guy, actually. I have the ol' #45 jersey. Had to spayshul order it too.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 6, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah... So, how bout them Skins. It figures that the one night I get to BMGO everybody else is washing their hair.

Oh well, Singing Bee is on and I'm gonna have to put LB jr. to "ped" soon, as Jasno would say.

I can hear the growlers... "grrr" they say... "we won't be cold all night!"

Peace.

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 6, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

"If I was a Skins fan, that dude would be my favorite player hands down"

glad to know the guy covering the skins isn't even a skins fan....he probably likes dallas like the rest of the haters, no wonder he picked the skins 3rd.

Posted by: Uncle Spence | August 6, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

LB, nice post. Gaither came in as a young beast to MD, and worked out fairly well until BMOC and other issues. Heyer has been a captain type influence and a consistent tackle throughout his collegiate career. I am excited for both, being an '80 grad.

Been out for awhile J Man. Had to slip in before Chloe got to the prom. Still sportin' that green Sox cap? They are doing well this year. Who knows?

Late.

Posted by: Coolio | August 6, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Injuries! OOOOooohhh.. injuries!!

ALWAYS LOVE UPDATES ON INJURIES!

AnYbOdY eLsE iNjUrEd OuT tHeRe ToDAy?!?

LOVE it. ABsolutely love injury updates..Can't get enough of it.

Posted by: Barn | August 6, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Sellers got the kid's soul stuck in his teeth. Classic.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 7, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse