Heyer's bye-week plan? Getting healthy

Offensive tackle Stephon Heyer, who moved to the left side of the line to replace an injured Chris Samuels earlier this month, is now ailing himself. He was wearing a knee brace Tuesday at Redskins Park, and Coach Jim Zorn said he "stretched a ligament in his knee."

Zorn is hoping that, by the time the team reports to practice next Monday, Heyer will be healthy enough to play. In case he isn't, recently-added lineman Levi Jones says he'll be ready to go. Jones was signed last Tuesday and had less than a week to prepare for the Eagles. He was limited and used sparingly Monday night.

"You can never, in a week, be up to the speed to what players have been all through training camp," Jones said Tuesday, "but I feel like I'll be ready to go."

Zorn said Jones isn't ready for the starting lineup and said he doesn't have any immediate plans to move Heyer back to right tackle and put Jones on the left side.

"I'm going to wait for Stephon to get himself ready," Zorn said. "But it will be something where we certainly give [Jones] reps - and we're doing that now, we did that this week. Even though it was scout team stuff, we're trying to get him in the mix. He'll be more involved if Stephon next Monday still can't practice. That'll be the next guy, absolutely."

Jones said he'll utilize the bye week to make more progress and make sure he's better prepared for the Redskins game at Atlanta on Nov. 8.

"Definitely going to be keeping in touch and talking and going through plays and going through my playbook and getting things figured it," he said. "I'm definitely going to stay on that and hammer that to when I do come back, an opportunity presents itself for me to get in there, I'll be ready to go."

As for Heyer, his exact status won't likely be known until next week. He was clearly hurting Monday night.

"He didn't say anything to me, but anybody watching the football game could see he was out there limping around," said Jones. "He was out there fighting through it, trying to take care of business. I know when the media wants to paint a bad picture of someone they fail to look at those things. But me being a tackle I knew exactly what he was going through and I sympathized with him and I understand that."

By Rick Maese  |  October 27, 2009; 1:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins turn to Davis with Cooley out
Next: Cerrato: Roster was capable of reaching playoffs

Comments

Re-post: Wonder if Brian Kozloski is in shape? Last I checked he was a free agent. Was a very good blocker and had a couple of TDs if I recall.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 27, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Here is the problem with Malcolm Kelly . . . he cannot separate from the defender."

How do you asses this in the NFL when all the defensive backs are quick and fast?

There aren't too many wide receivers who get separation from what I see.

The question is, does he have the 'balls' and hand strenght to snatch a ball out of the air in tight coverage: that's the mark of an NFL receiver.

But if you quarterback doesn't have the accuracy to fit the ball into tight spaces, well, you'll never get the answer to this question.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but this team needs to do a few things before they even THINK of drafting any players much less a 1st round QB. First of all would be:

FIRE CERRATO!

Then:

HIRE A REAL GM!

and somewhere in there:

LET GO OF ZORNS NUTS!

They have to be sore after these repeated Judo chops at 'em.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Ahh I see. Yeah I agree with you -- all those moves go without saying. I was just speculating about who we would go with at QB assuming we cut Campbell loose and don't draft a QB (which a Cerrato-led FO would almost surely do, IMO)...

I'm hoping we rebuild the offensive line, of course. And since the QB position looks thin anyway in this draft, I was wondering who in theory might be out there for us to bring in. You'd have to admit, the list of backup QB's in the league right now isn't too tempting...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

But Portis also dismissed the idea that veterans can handle the situation for others.

"I don't try to make sure other guys handle it," Portis said. "Other guys got to be accountable for themselves. I got to be accountable for me. I got to make sure Clinton Portis, No. 26 for the Washington Redskins show up and do my thing. Trying to be accountable for other guys, I can't do."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Clinton Portis, A true leader of men.

The Washington Redskins: A ship with no rudder.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 27, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Levi Jones

"But I feel like I'll be ready to go."

You have to hope Jones steps up and is a player.

If Jones 'gets it together' and Mike Williams continues to play well, maybe some--not all--of the linemen issues are resolved.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Dungy and Vick in 2010. Rebuild O-line. Draft QB in 2011. Plan on re-emergence in 2013.

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

What about taking a shot at Vick?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 27, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Kidding! Dungy would never come here! But Vick would surely fit into the Washington Redskins circus act. And, he can fill the void until we re-build and draft or acquire via FA a real future QB. Just saying . . .

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Would have been kinda nice to see a two tight end set using Cooley and Davis. Think the combo of Cooley and Davis could be at least as good as Bennett and Witten for Dallas.

Sucks that it took a season ending injury to Cooley for us to find out that Fred Davis can make plays in this league.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

sjw1. Sounds great. Unfortunately there's no indication that either would be able to work with us. arrrgh!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

HEY ZORN, VINNY, GET YOUR @$$ MOVING FASTER ON FIXING THE LINE. MY GIRLFRIEND COULD BUILD A BETTER O-LINE.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Redskins 360
Phillip Daniels rehabbed hard to come back at age 36 from major knee surgery in July 2008, but the defensive end wasn't happy with how little he played against the Eagles.

"There are some things I just don't like," when asked if he had regrets about returning. I came back to play, man."

Asked how much he played, Daniels said, "Not much. Maybe 12-15 plays, if that."

Asked when that had last happened, he said, "Maybe my rookie year when I was a backup. But I'm healthy, that's all I can ask for."

I like Daniels, but gimme a break...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Even when Heyer isn't hurting, he isn't qualified to be on the field. A right tackle not named Williams needed to be acquired before the season started and under no circumstances should Heyer have been the back-up left tackle. At this point, I'm not even sure why he's on the team. Someone has to have a practice squad guy that would play as bad as Heyer, but with more potential upside.

Posted by: AppleScience | October 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Is Colt Brennan not an option.

If they are going to rebuil, why not use the young QB...its going to take time anyway.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I wish Heyer's bye week would be a permanent bye bye. He STINKS.

Posted by: dcwun | October 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Is Colt Brennan not an option.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 27, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

He is on IR.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I dunno about Vick...which means if Cerrato is here, you can bet the house on it happening!

But IMO Vick is JC with more mobility -- low completion percentage, didn't go thru his progressions in Atlanta, etc. Except now he has prolly lost at least a half-step.

I would rather go the Parcells route and get a dependable, albeit not flashy guy like they did with Pennington. I think Kitna might fit that role for a season or two...who knows, tho...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

They HAVE to start Levi at LT against Atlanta.

Heyer has no business playing LT in this league.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

They can re-activate Brennan. The question is . . . is he healthy and is he football ready? Big questions. Don't know the answers! The season is pretty much lost and it would be great to give him a shot and see what he can do. It might save us a draft pick (or two/three if we do something stupid and trade for someone, like our FO most likely will).

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I know he is on IR this year, I am talking aboput the future. If we cut JC17 loose, do we use Brennan?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 27, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, Brennan is on the IR and cannot return as I understand it. If he were able to come via some rule I'm unaware of..... sure why the hell not.... I think its safe to say that Campbell isn't going to cut here. Somewhere else, that's a debate for another time. But in this team, it simply isn't going to happen.

At this point, I'd be thinking about letting Andre Woodson play after week 10. Might even get a better draft pick out of it.

Posted by: AppleScience | October 27, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight

I believe JC's completion % is around 65%. That would be considered low.

Kitna? You were joking right? The dysfunction has spilled over to the fans.

Posted by: dcwun | October 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

________________

They can't reactivate Brennan this year, IR ends your season.

Campbell sucks, but Brennan sucks more.

We're stuck with this mess until next year.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

My bad Cheyenne, thought you meant for this season. As for next season, I'm all for it if it means we use a high 1st rounder on a franchise left tackle and the 2nd and 4th round picks on a center and a right tackle, respectively (I'm thinking that in the long run, BMW would be a better guard than tackle and Dockery is solid, though not spectacular at LG).

Posted by: AppleScience | October 27, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

santana should have made that catch in the endzone on the fade route tho...it was a perfectly thrown ball...and hit santana in the hands...he didnt have the strenth to grip it with a defender draped on him

Posted by: jasonma1 | October 27, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

After watching last night's game, I thought Washington was an established NFL city. Played like expansion team.

Posted by: scholls3 | October 27, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The only fond memory I have of Heyer was last season. I can't remember which game it was (I think it was Arizona), but DT was about to score on a sure TD on a busted play, only to have it called back b/c Heyer decided to bodyslam some dude like 5 seconds after Campbell had thrown the ball...made me laugh just thinking about it...

In all seriousness, if draft picks are limited, what about taking a left tackle in the 1st round, sliding Levi over to RT and bumping BMW in to RG? Not ideal, and certainly not my first choice, but I think it would be an upgrade...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasonma1

I said the same thing. He should have caught that ball.

Posted by: dcwun | October 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 27, 2009 2:16 PM

He's never played a down in the NFL and didn't have a good preseason this year. If the Redskins don't draft somebody (or maybe even if they do), they would be wise to find a journeyman QB who has NFL experience and can the ship afloat for awhile. Jeff Garcia is probably over the hill now, but somebody like David Carr might be available.

The last thing you want to do is throw a noob in behind a line that will probably still not be very good next year. Too many holes on the line and not enough draft picks.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

bean - theyre INCREDIBLY underutilized. I'm glad we FINALLY looked to them in the red zone (Sherm's doing?) But I think MK and DT could be a force if on the field at the same time.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 27, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Listen to the 1st podcast. Redskins COO vs Mike Wise. I haven't listened to it yet, but, LaVar is ripping dude...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I believe JC's completion % is around 65%. That would be considered low.

Kitna? You were joking right? The dysfunction has spilled over to the fans.

Posted by: dcwun | October 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I was describing Vick -- low completion %... as for Kitna, he played well for the Bengals while mentoring Palmer and then again in his absence, and did OK for the Lions for a few years, albeit in Mike Martz crazy offense. Many said he was a great pickup as a backup behind Romo in F Dallas. I'm not talking about a long term replacement here, people. Just a one year guy as a stop-gap until we draft a franchise QB...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"What about taking a shot at Vick?"

How about getting some sharp-eyed talent guy in the house before we do anything stupid.

Something stupid like adding the over-rated Mike Vick.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

That's my plan. I'm also advocating taking a center in the 4th round. We should be able to get Matt Tennant there. If Levi Jones appears to be working out then we could take a center in the second. Either way I want a new center for next year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that for the past 25 years, Skins fans have always fallen in love with the back up QB?

Posted by: dcwun | October 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

What about this Jake Locker kid?

Is he going to the NFL or staying in school?

And if the former, any chance he falls to the 2nd round?

They need to use their first pick on a LT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

If the players are constantly hearing from the media both local and national that it's the owner, then they why should they play hard...

WE'VE GIVEN THEM A PASS!!! WHY???

Posted by: rickyroge | October 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

What about just signing Campbell to a two year extension and letting him continue to get the crap kicked out of him while we rebuild the O-line. He's probably the only idiot who would take the starting job anyway! :-)

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

What about this Jake Locker kid?

Is he going to the NFL or staying in school?

And if the former, any chance he falls to the 2nd round?

They need to use their first pick on a LT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I would think if he has a shot at going in the 1st or 2nd round he should go -- based on what happened to Bradford this year. No one wants to risk sticking around and then getting hurt, and have their draft stock plunge...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

That Wise interview was great. I listened to most of it, DD sounded very angry.

His comments confirmed Snyder has minyons reading this blog, paying very close attention to what is being said about the team and abuout Snyder by the WaPo.

What a mess....

Posted by: ksquare | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

That's what I've been saying. He's cheap. Nobody else is going to sign him. We can lowball the crap out of him. Hey kid, it's either 3 mill a year or the UFL.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

They need to use their first pick on a LT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

And then they need to use their second pick on a right tackle. There will be starter quality guards and centers in the middle rounds (always are). Only Dockery should be back next year (and Samuels if he decides he wants to).

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

While he played well last night, someone still needs to remind Fred Davis that he needs to stop jumping towards the 1st down marker when he's 5 yards away.

Posted by: forever8-8 | October 27, 2009 1:31 PM

Especially when he's going against much smaller DB's.

Posted by: skinswest | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

There aren't too many wide receivers who get separation from what I see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Moe. And MKelly certainly has the hands. That's what has impressed me the most about him. He catches everything away from his body with his hands. And he has great size. I'm not sure of his speed.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 27, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree with this. Focus on the o-line with this draft. In the next draft, take an explosive RB and the QB of the future and season him for a year on the bench (I still think that is the best recipe for success). No point drafting a QB in 2010.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I was up in section 417 and thought Mike williams looked okay, am i crazy to think he can stay after we draft okung in the 1st and a RT in the 2nd round? Heyer (aka shirley from whats happening) can watch from the couch next year.

Can sam huff please get off haynesworths back?

Hes the reason why andre carter looks all world. this season is an abomination but 92 is a beast.

Posted by: drewkinnear | October 27, 2009 2:31 PM

Posted by: drewkinnear | October 27, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. I think BMW would be a very very mean right guard given an offseason of reps at that position. I'd use the 4th rounder on a center and move BMW inside to guard.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

David Carr is the same story as Patrick Ramsey and now JC. You only get so many chances to instill confidence in your young QB, and I believe had Ramsey or Carr or Campbell come into a functional organization, they would have a much different career trajectory.

But its tough to overcome year in, year out change. This is not to give them a free pass because great QBs can get themselves through anything.

However, Im in the camp that you certainly can break an otherwise decent QB when you implement a college scheme in the NFL (Spurrier), or fail to address your line/running game over time (Skins, Texans).

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Long term I don't see Colt being any answer as a starter, maybe as a backup replacing Todd.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Heyer is TERRIBLE.....I don't want him to be hurt but he is not good enough to play in the NFL. I'm not sure why Bugel is high on this guy when the only thing he is good at is helping up Campbell when he gets sacked because he gets beat!

Our entire O-line is a joke! How in the hell did these players get in the NFL???

Posted by: jcrabbe1 | October 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

SIGN MARCUS JOHNSON the bucs just released him he can play guard/tackle and is a former second round pick oh and he is 27

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

As for Vick, the redskins will carefully assess his on field potential and his jersey sales potential, then decide whether or not to acquire him based solely on his jersey sales potential

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I was on this band wagon for a long time too. But we need to see if his new jumpiness as a passer is permanent damage to the psyche.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Vinne thinks he gave Zorn a playoff caliber roster! What a joke...

Even the defense is not as good as last year

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

so, somehow Davis didn't inspire confidence and giggled, but when Cooley went down, Davis lead the team in catches/yards....what does that say about those whom had no confidence in him....seems like that was somewhat misplaced, and people were again looking for perfection....this coaching staff just absolutely sucks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Davis also led the team in getting run overs. He is the WORST blocking TE I’ve seen in ages. You see, Beans, giggling, inability to block, and playing behind an all-PRO means even non-sucky coaches can figure out why he sat so long.

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

A 4th FLOOR TWO-FER

I say we bench everyone this week who went to Auburn?

POSTED BY: 4TH FLOOR.

I hope at least everyone got la!d on that scouting trip, because otherwise it was a disaster.--CORK

GREAT time to insert Todd Collins.

Posted by: 4thFloor

And risk AARP suing for Elder Abuse?

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1

Are you guys serious??? Did you not watch the game last night? Campbell was horrible and he has been horrible. No one else will want Campbell because he is horrible. They're better off signing some taxi free agent and letting him play rather than re-signing Campbell. Besides, I think Campbell is not going to come back to Washington if his life depended on it. He has been disrespected and put in an offense that just doesn't fit his skill set. He's done here and it is time for Washington to start exploring other options. Elevate Woodson, let Collins start and try to get Woodson in for spot duty to see if he can develop.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

So we passed on the most polished reciever coming out of the draft last year in D. Jackson, and drafted 3 excuses every week, including a lineman that lost his confidence.

Burn this F'kn Team, We're Cursed!

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 27, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick and tired of hearing how damn "talented" we are: 1) It's debatable 2)Talent is Pacman Jones. It means nothing. Actual skill is what we need on and off the field.

Posted by: DCV1 | October 27, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

i think yesterday shows that even if we thought DT11/MK12/FD86 were busts, that's ONLY BECAUSE they havent had a QB with a good OL throw to them.
We're lucky that Cooley's injury was just a broken bone instead of a torn ligament. his healing process will be fine, and it's kinda good that he's out for the season...this gives FD86 a great chance to become a top-tier TE in the next 9 games.
If a fully caught up Levi Brown can be better than Heyer, we can get a line of
Brown, Dock, Rabach, M. Williams, Heyer and go forward from there. Hopefully these last 9 games will prove to us that DT and MK are indeed NOT busts and that they can be good talents in this league, given the opportunity to succeed.
I also acknowledge that it could entirely be true that the 2 WRs might be "busts," but i'm not ready to give up on them.

Posted by: kman2 | October 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

GREAT time to insert Todd Collins.

Posted by: 4thFloor

And risk AARP suing for Elder Abuse?

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 2:48 PM

Big savings on medical costs though since he's covered by Medicare.

Posted by: League-Source | October 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

wouldn't a viable coach have had Davis out for passes, and Yoder in to block?? seems like even sucky coach's could get that one right....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Those are all worse options than keeping Campbell.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

---------

I think the purpose of this isn't to see if Campbell can win with a better o-line, it's to say that no prospective QB, and definitely not a young QB, will be successful under the current o-line. Even if you are 100% certain Campbell will be gone eventually, you still shouldn't worry about drafting a QB until the line is addressed.

The only way you draft a QB is if three things happen:

(1) You spend every other asset boosting the offensive line to competent status.

(2) You sign a long-term head coach/offensive coordinator to coach him up from the beginning in the same system.

(3) You automatically plan on sitting the guy for at least a year, or until the line actually resembles an NFL-caliber one.

Only if those things occur should drafting a QB even be considered.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

lavar is just going off on the offensive line on 106.7, went on for 20 minutes, too bad they were not listening

Posted by: connskins | October 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Another reason why Vinny needs to be gone. No o-line, No QB alernative, too many misfires on draft picks."

What confounds this observer is that Snyder seems perfectly willing to continue burning through piles 'o cash just so Vinny gets to play Madden GM.

The only way for things to work is for whomever else owns stock in the team (does Snyder it outright?) to demand a change in direction.

Otherwise, Cerrato will still be in place to meddle.

The first thing that needs to happen is someone has to convince Snyder to let someother person assess and acquire talent.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

To all those that say once a backup always a backup or if you were a starter and lost that position you will never be good again.

2 names for you

Steve Young
Kurt Warner

I think the jury is still out on David Carr. Someone brought it up earlier it would be better to pick someone up that has some actual game experience

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Those are all worse options than keeping Campbell.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Nothing like blind faith, is there? Good luck drinking that kool-aid.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like blind faith, is there? Good luck drinking that kool-aid.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it could be blind faith...or it could be the fact that Andre Woodsen has never taken an NFL snap and Todd collins looked terrible in preseason and against Kansas City but go ahead and keep saying we're drinking Kool Aid. You have an unnatural hate for JC. The only explanation is that he banged your girlfriend.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The only way you draft a QB is if three things happen:

Only if those things occur should drafting a QB even be considered.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Where have I heard that plan before... Oh right... That was Joe Gibb's plan when we drafted Jason Campbell, they just forgot that when you build a young o-line through free agency its still gonna get old faster then one built through the draft.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like blind faith, is there? Good luck drinking that kool-aid.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 27, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Spot On Moe. Why waste any energy speculating on who or what to draft?

If the same donkey is building the roster it won't matter.

Posted by: ksquare | October 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Vinny could not build a wining team if he was playing madden

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Those are all worse options than keeping Campbell.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Nothing like blind faith, is there? Good luck drinking that kool-aid.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 27, 2009 2:57 PM |

We don't need kool-aid. We need Cooley-aid.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

it will never stop, it will just keep going, some years we will be mediocre then the next year we will hit bottom again. once a proud franchise and now a disgrace

Posted by: connskins | October 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

In the first 8 games last year, JC was an all-pro QB. What's different now? He had a line that got his RB alot of yards, and he had a healthy Oline that gave him time to throw. Not alot of TD's but zero interceptions and a high completion percentage. The running game and the Oline went downhill, then so did JC.

Not his greatest defender right now. He clearly left some plays / points on the board. But he's not the only problem the Skins have....

Posted by: carocanesfan | October 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

We both agree Zorn is not a good coach.

But what would you do? Bench the all-pro and have the giggler running his pass routes? Or have a two TE offense and have Cooley do the blocking?

Actually, they had a number of those stes and Davis didn't show much there, either.

Now, he's had ONE good receiving game in his entire career and he almost got his QB killed on several occasions.

For a second round pick, they should have gotten a COMPLETE TE.

Or, gee I dunno, a blocking Olineman.

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

This is what I would like to see.

A GM! (but it won't happen) so...

Forget drafting a QB and sending him down the JC, Ramsey, Carr route.
Resign JC cheap, keep Colt, Collins and/or sign a FA like Tavaris Jackson or Kitna.
Let them compete for the job.
Rebuild the line.
Move Orakpo to DL and Landry to SS, let Rogers go.
Sign a FS, CB and LB.

Keep Blanch or Gray to run the D.
Get rid of the damn WCO it drives me to drink just thinking about us running it.

Finally no retread Coaches, Hire Grimm.
He'd make a great coach, besides we love him in D.C. and he would be cut some slack and given time to rebuild this team.

Posted by: jberry73 | October 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Vinny could not build a wining team if he was playing madden

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

According to Vinny this was a playoff team.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

There wasn't much to like last night on MNF. But how about that picture they showed of the GB coaches? There was Holmie, the HC, and Andy, with hair no less, Shermie and Chucky the youngun in short pants who just managed to squeeze into view at the top of the stairs.

Question: if they make Chucky the next Skins HC will it be ducky and will he have the CBs chuck the WRs at the line of scrimmage instead of letting them have a cushy 10 yd cushion?

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | October 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

And unfortunately JC probably IS our best option for the rest of this year. Next year??? He won't be here. But if anyone thinks the Colt man is gonna bring us to the promised land... you're deluded.

Which unfortunately means that it is likely that the Danny will go for QB with the 1st rounder this year....

Posted by: carocanesfan | October 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"kool-aid drinking references take the award for most over-used phrase in 2009 by far.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

and 2008, 2007 and 2006

Posted by: chrislarry | October 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

cork, for starters, I'd have been utilizing these guys MUCH more than they were previously. For this particular game, I'd have gotten Yoder involved more than he was.

perhaps if Davis didn't get judged on a giggle he'd be better prepared, have gotten more reps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn were to be fired midseason, why is it that Snyder would not be able to conduct a Rooney-rule interview and hire a non-interim HC after? Does anybody know? Is it a rule that it has to be done in the offseason?

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Ben Roethlisberger
Sage Rosenfels
D.J. Shockley
Troy Smith
Brian St. Pierre
Charlie Whitehurst

Maybe we can get Roethlisberger : )

I don't think JC sticks around and I absolutely do think another team will pick him up. Sign him and draft a QB so he can compete for starter and be "seat warmer" for rookie if needed. Or be back up to aging dude so we're looking at STL, SEA, ARI, MIN, CAR, JAX all in one of those positions.

I agree with psp and everyone else whose said we CANNOT draft QB let JC go and hope for the best. O-line has got to be the priority.

Posted by: sfskin | October 27, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Do you guys forget that when JC was in the mid-season running for player of the year?"

I remember that. Unfortunately, JC has significantly regressed since then. His fundamentals have fallen inconsistent, he's progressing through his reads way too quickly, and his ball security has dropped back to 2007 levels. The entire offense is nearly completely inept, especially the offensive line, but Campbell is not playing well right now regardless. He still has enough talent that when he settles down for stretches of the game he shows the flashes that made him so good for the start of 2008, but those moments are showing up too few and far between. This offense doesn't have the overall talent to mask an inconsistent QB for 2 quarters a game.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

He's not getting judged on being a gigler, he's judged on getting truck'd all night by Trent Cole?

Perhaps if he had a better work ethic and ability to show up on time, he would be a little further along.

He wasn't thought to be a good blocker in college. This isn't new information, once again, Vinny didn't do the proper due diligence.

An All-American TE taken that high, should at least be able to block.

Posted by: ksquare | October 27, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Troy Smith"

Aside from Big Ben and Orton, both of whom will undoubtedly be kept by their respective squads, this is the only guy on that list that even has a shot of being a better option than Campbell.

Pretty sad time to be having QB problems.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

if any of yall have a twitter account follow Bomani_Jones and listen to his podcast on zorn. quite funny take

Posted by: swalker5 | October 27, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"Troy Smith"

Pretty sad time to be having QB problems.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone would have a problem with him coming in and working out. If he's better then give him the job. We're not huge JC fans, we're just realistic about our options. He gives us the best shot to win in the long run. We need to take the franchise left tackle in the first round this year(Okung). After that we need a right tackle and a center. We will also need a running back. Once those needs are filled by all means get better at the QB position.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

i'm glad that 7 weeks in, with the season in the toilet people wanna give vick a shot. good luck i think he's under contract with a second year option. u think any FAs that wanna win are coming here next year? i thought people wanted to change the culture. great start, already planning the FA shopping spree.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 27, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

2 people going on the IR this week. Who will be taking their place? Who is going to be signed?

An o-line? An RB? A TE? Thoughts????

Posted by: carocanesfan | October 27, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ben Roethlisberger
Sage Rosenfels
D.J. Shockley
Troy Smith
Brian St. Pierre
Charlie Whitehurst

I think we can take Eli off the list. After his big payday in NY, I doubt he's going anywhere. Kinda doubt Roethlisberger is leaving Pittsburgh, either. Brunell and Rosenfels have already played here, and something tells me they wouldn't be so eager to return.

Posted by: jaradel | October 27, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I said it before cooley: is NOT a good blocker he is not much better than davis at this time, but cooley has more experience but NOT talent davis is stronger, faster, younger he must work on blocking more. davis gives the offensive more SPEED something that idiot coach jim (mr. green-jeans)zorn seems to be against because he does not let the younger faster player's play(thomas, m. mitchell,alridge when they had him etc.) zorn is not strong enough nor intelligent to be a head coach he is SOFT just like the mercurial norv turner, both cut from the same cloth as far as head coaches are concerned...LOSERS.

Posted by: wathu19 | October 27, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse