Who You Gonna Call? Raider-Busters

Jim Zorn was not backing off his contention that the Seahawks/Raiders rivalry was legit even after experiencing Redskins-Cowboys first-hand. Linebacker London Fletcher tried to explain to him after the game that you can't compare that West Coast thing to the long and deep history of hatred between the Skins and Cowboys.

But Zorn is clinging to his past. While he has yet to wear an anti-Dallas "secret T-shirt" under his golf-shirt on the sidelines, he did confess to wearing a "Raider Busters" T-shirt back in the day (must have been around the time "Ghostbusters" was big). I joked with Zorn after the press conference that I'd try to dig up a shirt for him, and, what do you know, I found one on ebay.

Gotta luv the internets. This particular shirt is from 1985 (Zorn was in Green Bay that season, his first after leaving the Seahawks) and at $29.99, well, I think it's a steal. If my finances were in better shape (have you looked at the stock market?) I'd spring for it.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 29, 2008; 1:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins' Turnover Immunity Nearly Ended
Next: Rankings Reflect Redskins' Rise

Comments

Posted by: h20law2000 | September 29, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 29, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ya gotta love the George Allen (ok, ok chuck knox) throwback hip,hip cheer. Now all we need is for him to drink some milk and yell 53 men together can't lose!

Posted by: will_ga | September 29, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I have made it clear that I dont support JLas negativity towards the team. But at the same time, I will not waste energy on a grudge against a beat reporter that gives useful updates from time to time. But Jasno is starting to smell of the hay of a Bandwagon!

Posted by: Club320 | September 29, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

my impassioned defense of corky from last post:

You know I gotta step up for my man Corky. The dude has said plenty of positive things about the Skins, and I believe he is a real fan. But being a fan is not blind allegiance...its OK to be analytical, skeptical...those are not bad qualities by the way. I have had PLENTY of issues with the Skins over the last 20 years (and before)thats part of the fun of it all really....

I get uncomfortable with the "real fan/non real fan" line of thinking.
Now Sports_false prophet...thats a different story...that guys just a gas bag....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 29, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

If finding that shirt isn't hard nose "feet to the pavement" reporting i dont know what is.

Lets give 3 hip-hip horrays for a job well done.

Yes i am exaggerating but how many of you guys would have thought to look up that shirt.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 29, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Personal foul on anyone that thinks the sell out blitz your linebackers because they have no talent in space defense of philly will work next week. Go at Dawkins early and often.

Posted by: Pleepleus | September 29, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm somewhat follically challenged myself, but man, click on that link, and check out the pic of John Clayton. WOW.....guy has a 40 pound head...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't know what's sadder -- that back in the day people actually perceived a Raiders-Seahawks rivalry, or that now some crappily made, ink-stained one-off T-shirts produced back then by a local radio station are actually being advertised as vintage sports memorabilia on eBay... Gotta love Coach Z sticking to his guns on this one, and for actually using the word "providence" with a small p and getting fired up by "hip hip hooray." I am really enjoying this team and our new skipper.

Posted by: LittleSoren | September 29, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am in no position to ridicule balding dudes with big heads.....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 29, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Moving the goalposts again, eh, Sports Guru? Still holding out for Campbell to prove you right, in the face of three straight weeks when he piloted this offense to victory...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 3:18 PM

Well, I asked for 3 TDS. He would have had 3 if Rabach hadn't drifted a couple of yards downfield on that brilliant pitch, catch and run Touchdown.

However, it is the QBs job to make sure his offensive team maintains focus. Rabach's error is a direct result of Jason Campbell's weakness as a leader. He should have torn Rabach a new one in the huddle following his previous penalty that negated the Clinton Portis TD. Perhaps if Campbell had been more of a leader in that situation, Rabach would have stayed home, and Campbell would have met my metric of 3 TDs.

Make sense?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 29, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

good article Steinberg

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | September 29, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

good article Steinberg

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | September 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 3:18 PM

Make sense?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is not the cocky kind of guy to come to an organization and act like the savior. He's humble and came in and worked hard to earn the respect of his team mates. Zorn has adapted his offense to capitalize on his strengths. I expected this half way through the season. I also though the unknowns of Zorn's offense would help in the first half of the season until other teams could adapt to his MO.

The offense had gelled early. And the D had an epic day.

Hail! No fear. None.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Make sense?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 29, 2008 3:53 PM

From the end of the last thread...have at him, the "w" word beckons me.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Make sense?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 29, 2008 3:53 PM

No way, man, the way for an offense to maintain focus is the Jimzorn way ... "stay medium" ...

Posted by: dcsween | September 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

cheap skate

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

It makes sense that you are an anus.

Posted by: Pleepleus | September 29, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

guru, you're a fraud. Again, go play in traffic, and take your weak, pathetic and limp agenda you have against Campbell to another site. The #4 qb in the league right now, suck on that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Make sense?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 29, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ones an insecure delusional hater always a insecure delusional hater.

Rabach's the vet center, he leads the line. JC cant rip the man for a mistake because Casby should not need a ripping.

I say we fans of RI start a fund so Jasino can by Zorn the shirt. But he has to write F*** Dallas on the back.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

It actually makes no sense sports_false prophet, what makes sense is your mad annoying.....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 29, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

No Guru:
See my last.

Jason is successful because he doesn't act like an a$$.

No excuses for Rabach though.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Gotta give a lotta love to the Defense after the impressive dispatching of the Cowgirlz.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | September 29, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The #4 qb in the league right now, suck on that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 4:09 PM

Who has yet to throw more than 2 TDs in a game all season. He also admitted to costing Santana Moss the record TD catch by underthrowing him. We can't make those kinds of mistakes against a truly good defensive team, and win.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 29, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Also, if I'm a QB on the field, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER intentionally upset one of the guys protecting me from the opposing defensive line. If anything, I'd want my offensive linemen to stay focused and move on (and protect my ass).

Posted by: dcsween | September 29, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru, wake up dude, for one thing the holding penalty on Rabach was a phantom call, I've looked at that six or seven times(unofortunately, there's only the one angle from the TV coverage where you can see it) and he wasn't even close to holding anybody, he actually blew the block completely, and just kid of fell over, and didn't grab the guy as he ran by him.
And the downfield penalty was pretty close, he was three yards down after driving his guy off the line before he realized that JC has actually pulled up and thrown the ball, he thought JC was gonna take off and run it, which is why he turned into his man and started driving rather than just standing there.

Your just looking for justification of your poor evaluation of JC, man up dude.

Posted by: craig2 | September 29, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Even though Rabach could've cost us the game, that unit played well. About that ineligib;e reciever penalty, can the O-linemen go 3 or 5 yards from the line of scrimmage before they are flagged? He did not seem to be more than 3 yards downfield while maintaining his block. I think that was a bad "make -up" call for some that should have gone Dallas' way early on.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | September 29, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Weak....so very weak....

You've got nothing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Can we all just agree to ignore sports_false prophet? Not call on him after every good JC game? Than maybe this dude will just go bring his dark cloud somewhere else.

He is like Beetlejuice...if you say his name 3 times, you call him to you...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 29, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

And the Moss underthrow was actually kind of impressive considering JC was on one leg, running from the pressure that came from the 'Boys blitz and collapsed the pocket, he showed some very nice presence by stepping up and keeping his eyes downfield, and then the arm strength to heave it 45 yards in the air. Not bad in my opinion.

Posted by: craig2 | September 29, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Couple things stand out. First, the Skins did hold them down early and they did panic. Forgot they had a run game, forgot they had Felix Jones. They have talent down there, but not a lot of poise.

Second, the Skins never feared these guys, for reasons we went over last week. They'd had plenty of success vs dallas, now 5 wins in their last 7 meetings. They'd smacked Romo before and did it again. Not sure of the number of sacks, but I know Romo made a lot of throws where pressure took the timing away from him.

Not going out a limb and saying I was 100% 'bet my mortgage confident' on the Skins winning, but I knew we could beat dallas.

Congrats to Jim Zorn. Ever since that 'deer in the headlights' debut ended, his coaching instincts have looked very sharp.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Zcezcest I would not joke about betting mortgages right now.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Philly has the #1 defense ... against the rush. They are #11 against the pass. [#4 overall]. But, you know, Dallas STILL HAS the #1 offense ... and you know how that turned out.

This is NFC East ... statistics schmatistics ... Dallas had a good D and Arizona had a good D. Jason Campbell did throw three TD passes (actually, four), but only two counted.

These posts are misusing the term "guru".

Posted by: dcsween | September 29, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

BEEP

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hip Hip Hooray is too "old school?"

No problem my burgundy and gold homies.

Here's RedskinWillie with the easy solution. Change it to:

Hip Hop Hooray.

Put the sizzle in the shnizzle or whatever.

Hip Hop Hooray. Somethin' we're all down for.

Peace, bra.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | September 29, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sports_guru=AZZ Clown

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 29, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

+++Hail2theChief, nobody knows better than Dan Snyder that Redskin football is violent, physical, violent f***ing football.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 2:21 PM +++

You dang tootin’ Nate,. After all this is a man who has gone nose to knee with Tom Cruise!

Posted by: Corkczar | September 29, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Gotta luv the internets."

JLac, you complete me.