His Knee Better, Kelly Hopes to Practice

Jason Reid reports:

The swelling in the left knee of rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly subsided quickly and Kelly plans to practice this week in hopes of playing Sunday against the St. Louis Rams at FedEx Field.

"It's been frustrating," said Kelly, sidelined the entire preseason and in three of Washington's first five games because of injuries.

"It was kind of bothering of me after the game, but it feels pretty good now. I iced it all day long [Monday], it's feeling good now and I'm scheduled to practice all week. It wasn't even a deal where it was painful. When the inflammation gets in there, it gets kind of tight."

Kelly was active Sept. 14 against the New Orleans Saints and had his only reception, a six-yard gain, in the Redskins' 29-24 victory. Coach Jim Zorn has expressed concern about some of Kelly's route running as he continues to adjust to the NFL.

"I kind of felt it [his knee] a few times, but then when I looked on film, I was still running just as good as I have been running," Kelly said. "It's wasn't a deal where it was slowing me down.

"I wasn't hesitant coming in and out of any of my routes. I wasn't hesitant when I was blocking. I guess it's just something I have to deal with."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 7, 2008; 3:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers Opts to Spend the Day at Work
Next: Guest Blog: The Curse of Ray Guy

Comments

This looks like a post we see every tuesday, only to be told on friday that he is not ready to suit up/injured/not in the game plan.

Posted by: I_like_futbol_n_fubball | October 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

first?

Posted by: Freddr055 | October 7, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

If London Fletcher (never missed a game in his entire career) is made out of steel, Kelly must be made out of lead & melanin tainted material from China. Just put him in IR and put more focus on Devin Thomas who seems to be picking up on the game

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Malcolm doesn't have his Aunt Flo come visit this week....

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

!!WOW!!

it's like jasno knows what i am going to ask and he has the answer all ready...

!!WOW!!

ummmmmm i wonder what numbers i should play tonite?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Tyrone Green lives.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the 10-minute NFL Network "On Demand" recap of our game on Comcast.

They played the Eagles radio announcers for the audio of the whole thing, and their play-by-play guy seems to be convinced that our kicker's name is Scott Suisham.

Not sure if he's any relation to Scott Brunell.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 7, 2008 3:35 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | October 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

just hope Malcolm doesn't have his Aunt Flo come visit this week....

no ryp according to red she's visiting lh lol....ha haaa haa haaa...sorry! but it was there..i had to take it. sorry sorry...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out why we didn't keep Billy McMullen. I know he didn't do Sh*t in Philly but he deserved to make this team.

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

JC!
What are the chances of seeing Roy Williams get traded to an NFC East team?

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 7, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

for those of you not old nuff to rember who tyrone green is:

Tyrone Green was a recurring character portrayed by Eddie Murphy during his 3-year stint on Saturday Night Live. Tyrone was a stereotypical caucasian-hating incarcerated black man.

The first appearance of the Green character involved a skit where convicts were encouraged to express themselves through poetry. We first see a closeup of Tyrones face. Tyrone begins the poem...

IMAGES by Tyrone Green

Dark and lonely on a summer night
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord
The watchdog barkin', do he bite?
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord
I slip in the window
I break his neck
Then his house I start to wreck.
Got no reason, what the heck.
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord.
"C"-"I"-"L"-"L" my landlord.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

dealer, Malcolm Kelly is having his WEEKLY visit from his Aunt Flo and his Uncle Tom.

This dude is frail as they come.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

if you read between the lines it seems like zorn just doesn't like kelly, whether its his work ethic or general weakness. kelly doesn't think it's fair. Devin's going to take the spot and kelly's looking like a bust. Since the kid is built and probably has potential, i wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed elsewhere with a more sympathetic coach.

Posted by: batigol85 | October 7, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Billy McMullen played nice in preseason.

Preseason.

McMullen was signed by the Seahawks and in two games has seven catches for 124 yards.

I thought they'd keep him though.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Can you call a 2nd round, 53rd overall pick a bust?

Just curious.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

if he doesnt see the playing field

Posted by: batigol85 | October 7, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

5 games guys. 5 games.

Lets give it a smidge more time, shall we......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 7, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

We are who we think we were

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Can you call a 2nd round, 53rd overall pick a bust?

Just curious.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 3:56 PM |

as productive as he is to day, he's more of a single breast than a bust

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

McMullen didn't make the roster because he's one dimensional; plus the rookies had more upside and I'm sure the Skins were worried they wouldn't pass through waivers. McMullen could run routes and catch -- but as a fifth WR -- he has to play special teams and block down field.

Posted by: siris | October 7, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 3:40 PM |

He dropped too many passes in preseason. We had other guys who were better. He didn't play special teams. And he hasn't done much with the Seahawks (7 catches in three games, one fumble), who were really desperate before they signed him.

What is your theory as to why we didn't sign him?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

In preseason it seemed that all the coaches and players felt that Kelly had a lot of upside to him. He is either really frail or his upside fizzled.

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 7, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Can you call a 2nd round, 53rd overall pick a bust?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 3:56 PM |

Sure, and a lot of higher picks have been busts. But you can't make that determination after five games where they haven't even played.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

everyone crying over mcmullen is joking right? there's more pressing need in other positions to keep 10 WR's on the roster. and last time i checked cooley/moss combo is working just fine.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Your upside does not fizzle 5 games into your rookie year before you can get on the field.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly. What a bust. This team will never be competitive until it hires a full time GM.

Jim Zorn has never been a head coach at any level. He's never even been an offensive coordinator!

Sincerely, Jasno

Posted by: ThomasJefferson | October 7, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Dow dropped another 500 points today. Good work everyone.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I just wonder how the hell Kelly got through any games at Oklahoma. He can't get through a workout without his knee blowing up.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 7, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Thomas,

Come back to bed.

Sally H.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I just read the City Paper article detailing the 4 year feud with TWP and the Skins.

After reading it, I would say the article was a hack job done as courtesy for either (a) Old Media having Old Media's back; (b) Done at the request of TWP because I am sure there is a connection since they work in the same industry/city; or (b) they just don't like Dan Snyder and Vinny because if they take over the media, they (all reporters and newspapers) will be out of work so they need to keep pushing back and make them look 'evil' or 'bad'.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to stay medium by focusing on the good and the bad of Devin Thomas -- the guy who's actually on the field during games -- and his growing role as a weapon in this offense, instead of dwelling on Malcolm Kelly.

Like watching Chris Horton develop, it's exciting to think about the possibilities Devin Thomas presents... even though there are maddening moments, of course.

I hope it doesn't turn out that we could have used Kelly's roster spot for someone we needed to contribute, because that would make all this waiting around a lot harder to swallow. But you know the coaches want to get him into games this season, so they resisted whatever urge they might have mad to put him on IR.

And so far, so good, as far as the offense operating pretty dadgum well without him... fingers crossed that it gets better and better as Thomas continues to improve and Kelly eventually gets in the mix...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: F_Registration | October 7, 2008 4:34 PM

Uh, maybe he wasn't injured at Oklahoma?

You're probably the same guy who wonders how Jason Taylor started 133 straight games, right?

Have you ever been injured?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Kelly get on the field at least no passes to him but I saw him in pads.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Upside can fizzle if your work ethic in practice and willingness to play a little knicked up is not there. Doesn't always relate to play on the field. If you don't practice well you don't play.

Let me just say I am not against him. I am just trying to rationalize why everyone was so excited about him in the beginning and now...nothing.

I hope he gets out there this week and kicks a**!

Hail!

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 7, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 4:27 PM |

No Kidding!! It's not like we have really had any issues with throwing the ball when we really want to. Short, medium and deep seem to be working just fine!

Posted by: fbchick | October 7, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: batigol85 | October 7, 2008 3:53 PM |

I really don't see that at all. I see a kid who was still to hurt to practice well enough to contribute. The swelling alone confirms that fact!

Solid week in practice and let's see if he gets activated.. but he is now a day late and a dollar short now that Thomas has had a few nice plays to overshadow any boneheaded moves he has made!

Posted by: fbchick | October 7, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I am sure the monkey spankers on this blog have already seen Fox Sports Power Ranking of the Skins at the number 2 spot-
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings?MSNHPHMA , If not there's the link. My take on Kelly- let him have his shot and don't knock him until he gets it- true he hasn't shown a damn thing yet but you really never know until he gets his reps in with the team. My gut tells me he wants to prove that he was worth the second round pick and will bust his ass (if he ever gets healthy).

Posted by: hman1217 | October 7, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree Nate, so much to be happy for. I am one of the ones who think Kelly will produce more than Thomas but getting on the field generally helps your stats.

Posted by: Gweez | October 7, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I can remember when Kelly was the feel-good story up here when his agent circulated stories about his trip to Liberia.

Now, the guy's injured and all the tough guys want to kick him while he's down. That is so Redskins Insider. The team is 4-1 and we've got to kick Kelly for being injured. And if he were well and contributing, then we could go after Marcus Washington or Jason Taylor. Oh, and Sean Springs. He's injured often enough that we should trade him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

How about we just pick up Roy Williams...

Posted by: c-mak | October 7, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

How about we just pick up Roy Williams...

Posted by: c-mak | October 7, 2008 4:53 PM

Seattle's going to get him for Billy McMullen. And, get this, Detroit's going to throw in a second round pick to sweeten the deal. McMullen's that good. I read it (over and over) on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious TE.

Why do we need Roy Williams? What would you like to give up for him? Who do we drop from the roster. When will he be familiar enough with the offense to go.

Posted by: Gweez | October 7, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Just wait guys. Patience. PATIENCE.

This guy will be good. TO didn't shine until his 2nd/3rd year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I say a conditional third rounder. As for him becoming familiar with the offense...its still pretty early in the season and he would probably know more than Kelly at this point. Put Kelly on the IR and let him fully recover.

Posted by: c-mak | October 7, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

How many WRs make an impact their rookie season?

Recently the list has been contstrained to who? Randy Moss, Roy Williams, and Colston? That's about it.

Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Whoseyermomma, Harrison, Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress... sometimes it takes awhile for a receiver to 'get it'.

Give him time, and he might be that big target with soft hands that would complement the speedster smurfs we have now.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 7, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Just wait guys. Patience. PATIENCE.

This guy will be good. TO didn't shine until his 2nd/3rd year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------

If this kid is anything like TO I hope we drag his butt out an put two in his head.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 7, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

TO didn't become TO until this...

He's a much better cryer now.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 7, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope Kelly gets out there this year, he needs to just rest up until he's fully healed. We don't really need him right now, at least not for the next 3 games.

My question is, where is Fred Davis?

Also, why are people posting about Jasno on this posting? He didn't even write it. This post was by Jason Reid. dealer1, are you really Danny Boy? I think that's the type of user name that the Danny would pick for himself.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | October 7, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm asusming that video is the SanFran-GB Playoff game? Exactly.

He was Terrel before that game and TO after it. His (I think) 3rd year...

People gave Taylor Jacobs more chances than Kelly is getting......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

All right, Kelly? Who really knows yet. Kinda seems like a cream puff but I will give him the benefit of the doubt since I haven't hardly seen him on the field yet.

My question: Are we ever going to see Fred Davis play? Just curious.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

"drag his butt out an put two in his head"

huh?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Way to beat me to it heights.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter - Redskins don't have any cap space to afford Roy Williams anyway. A small but critical detail, unfortunately, if you were hoping to see Williams in black and yellow and maroon.

Posted by: tafka | October 7, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

WRs are rarely impact players in their rookie year. Jerry Rice has 900 yards and 4 TDs his rookie year. 2nd year, 1500+ yards and 15 TDs.

It takes about a season for WRs to develop. The odds of a 2nd round pick becoming a top notch pro isn't great. If either Thomas or Kelly work out, Vinny will have made a good call.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Kelly will be a great receiver. Why rush a rookie player with tons of potential into the rotation when they have a nagging injury when things are clicking so well already? That would be foolish. As would be assuming a player with a nagging injury is a creampuff. There is a difference between a player who has a legitimate injury and one who wont play with pain.

Posted by: kenboy1 | October 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, JMS; dealer is the anti-Dan Snyder. Please go bark up another tree.

Posted by: tafka | October 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

My question: Are we ever going to see Fred Davis play? Just curious.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 5:20 PM

And Rinehart? When are we going to see him play?

I always thought that the coaches played the best players available. So, Fred Davis plays when he can play better than the guy in front of him.

To me, it's a good thing that our vets are better than our rookies -- that we're using the rookies to build for the future and that we don't have to count on them this year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 7, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

let the record show i said kelly LOOKS like a bust, not that he IS a bust. it's obviously too soon to pass judgment, but not for speculation (considering that's pretty much all that's up here).

Posted by: batigol85 | October 7, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

So I'm checking out the ESPN power rankings... and it seems one Mr Tim Graham could use any spare venom RIBN has to spare.
He ranked the Redskins 5th behind the Gints, Pokes (POKES at 2!!), Titans, and Stillers.

A$$ clown.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 7, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer is probably going to be ready to play this weekend, and I know this undrafted 2nd year player may be part of the future of this franchise, but has anyone noticed how much better our running game has been sice Jansen has been back in the line-up? I am one of the popel before the season that said he can't stay healthy and is a liability in pass blocking when there ar two good pass rushers on the other team, but........ in 3 games Heyer had 4 penalties and the running game looked tentative. In the last two the running game has been punishing against two division rivals, on the road, with pretty good run defenses, and Philly was #1. I don't think it is a coincidence. I am just saying.....

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 7, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Good point T_E. That idiot on PTI (not Wilbon) said we were as overrated as David Hasselhoff and Wilbon actually stuck up for the Skins. What is this world coming to.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

What idiot was that? It wasn't Kornheiser wa it?

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 7, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | October 7, 2008 5:26 PM

"Kinda seems like a cream puff but I will give him the benefit of the doubt since I haven't hardly seen him on the field yet."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

What idiot was that? It wasn't Kornheiser wa it?

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 7, 2008 5:42 PM

No, some other stand in d-bag.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Redskins' replay on NFL Network this evening. Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted by: tafka | October 7, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

So much hate on this board! Kelly's hurt, nothing he can do about that. Our WRs are taking care of business, so let him heal up, learn the system, and maybe contribute down the line if one of our starters goes down. Most rookies are lucky to get on the field in their first 2 years. Unless they are drafted in the top 10, which means their team has some glaring holes. We won't know who's a bust for at least 3 years, so for now give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: DCinSD | October 7, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Skins are 5th in the power rankings?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah,
Go figure Cheyenne. CHFF ranks the Skins at 5th, behind Dallas (apparently they don't bother to watch the games, HOMERS!).

According to CHFF, the only teams with 2 quality wins are Carolina, Tampa Bay and Washington.

That said the Skins are winning games. How? I guess it can't be quantified.

Just call it the Z-factor.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 7, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse