Holmes Looks for Spot in Crowded Secondary

It wasn't that long ago that Lendy Holmes' success was unquestioned and on display for anyone who paid attention to college football. A defensive leader of the top-ranked Oklahoma Sooners last season who helped the team to the Jan. 8 national title game, the safety was part of the team that lost to Florida. But he was also key to the team that won 12 before that.

But now with the Washington Redskins -- and who knows for how much longer -- Holmes' success hinges on his performance at training camp, where as an undrafted free agent he is trying to crack an established rotation in the secondary, and in the preseason games, the first of which is tonight in Baltimore. His five interceptions, which led the Sooners, don't carry over to camp, where he is essentially starting over from scratch, trying to impress a new set of coaches and teammates.

Still, with cut dates looming, he said he's confident he can stick with the team.

"I'm nervous but at the same time still confident," the 6-foot, 1-inch Holmes said. "I never put in my mind negative stuff. I always think positive."

For his positive thoughts to parlay into him earning a spot on the regular-season roster, Holmes will need to show he deserves time in a rotation at safety that includes starters LaRon Landry and Chris Horton as well as prove he can be a factor on second teams. Knowing that, Holmes, who saw time at receiver, cornerback and safety in four years at Oklahoma, said there's no time for the kind of messing around that might have been acceptable in college.

"You're out here to work," Holmes said recently at Redskins Park. "You can't just come out here and go through the motions like you can in college. A lot of college guys go through the motions, but out here you gotta work, you gotta show."

After a recent practice, Holmes walked off the field, lugging Landry's helmet and pads, a ritual among rookies. Holmes called it "part of the process" and said he is ready to do whatever it takes to make it with the Redskins.

"One thing's on my mind, just trying to make this team," Holmes said. "So I'll just keep focused."

By Bill Oram  |  August 13, 2009; 6:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Band of 4 Will Handle Punt Returns
Next: Campbell: O Line Just Needs Reps

Comments

Dirty thirty and his brother is crazy

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

By Bill Oram | August 13, 2009; 6:45 AM ET

Landry? Not Kareem Moore? When he goes back to Tulsa he can say "Step back. I was good enough to lug Landry's pads."

He's hoping for the practice squad.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Holmes is further proof that if anything, colleges crank out quality safeties by the dozens.

I wish him all the best, but when you consider this list, I don't see him making the team:

Reed Doughty
Kareem Moore
LaRon Landry
Chris Horton
Michael Grant
Lendy Holmes

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I wish him all the best, but ... I don't see him making the team:

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 7:36 AM

Moe, He is only four hamstrings away from being an opening day starter.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Interesting story. I gotta say, I wasn't part of the anti JLC crew during J La's tenure but I can see an improvement in the blog since you took over. Keep up the good work J Reid (no I will never EVER EVER refer to you as the Mayor).

Posted by: BC1963 | August 13, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

If this guy could emerge as a decent free safety, this could give them a little more flexibility with Landry. I think we could very well see Kareem Moore starting the season at free safety and Landry at strong. Horton and Doughty seem to be considered strictly as strong safeties. So, who backs up Kareem? If Lendy Holmes makes a good showing of himself, I think he at least factors into the equation.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 13, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

...I dunno... when I think of it as the sarcastic use of "The Mayor of Slick City", I think it's kinda cool...

Say it like Dr. Jack Ramsay (or Jimmy Durante) & it's hilarious - 'Da Mayah'...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Everytime I hear 'Mayor' it reminds me of Goldie Wilson in Back to the Future. That makes me smile.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 13, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I thought one of our best innovative defensive formations last year was the "Cobra", where we had Shawn Springs bump to FS and both LL and Horton playing underneath him at SS.

Right now, Lendy is listed on the depth chart as the 3rd SS w/ Kareem moore backing up at FS.

He's a little taller and a little lighter than Moore. I don't know how fast Lendy is, but having played corner and WR for a team like Oklahoma has got to mean he can't be all that slow.

It seems he would be a better fit at free safety?

I'd love to see the Cobra formation again this year where both Horton and LL can get around the line of scrimmage and/or clobber guys going over the middle.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to him but this is a crowed of players at Saftey. If this kid looks good I say traid Reid Doughty for a lineman.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

And in the just wow category

Cutler wants say in final roster
Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2009 8:22 AM ET
And so as the last quarterback who mistakenly believed that his job duties included the functions of a General Manager fades (we think) into the Mississippi sunset, a new candidate for player-executive emerges.

Jay Cutler.

Cutler, per the Arlington Daily Herald, intends to give his input on the team's final roster.

"I think they're definitely going to ask me," Cuter said. "If they don't ask me, I'm going to tell them what I think because I've got to be the one throwing to them on game day, and I've got to trust them."

Look, the extent to which the starting quarterback and his receivers work together has to be a significant factor in shaping the depth chart. But there's a line, somewhere, that the quarterback shouldn't try to cross.

Publicly indicating that he intends to chime in on who should stay and who should go probably is on the other side of that line.

And if the Bears don't nip this in the bud, it won't stop with Cutler telling the media that he plans to tell the coaches which guys should be turning in their playbooks. What if they keep someone he doesn't want? Will Cutler make his feelings known outside the organization?

Or what if Cutler isn't happy with the offseason decisions that the franchise is making? Will he make like Lord Favre (and, to a certain extent, Donovan McNabb) and make his displeasure known?

Posted by: TWISI | August 13, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info TWI. I am so happy we didn't get this clown.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info TWI. I am so happy we didn't get this clown.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 8:49 AM

Most posters up here would rather have Cutler as GM than Cerrato.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Sssoooooo glad we didn't take that big baby.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

schmuck.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 13, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I really lost all respect for that D-bag. His locker room is going to tear him apart.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 13, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler.

Thank God we didnt get Cutler. We need improvement at the position but this guy reminds me of Jeff George. A self absorbed idiot who just likes to throw it downfield

Posted by: scottmando | August 13, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

F Jay Cutler, and just for old times' sake F the front office again (and in perpetuity) for jerking Campbell around this offseason.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Seriously. We should slot Cutler as the QB for the all Jaggoff team he can be throwing to TO and Ocho.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

Co sign

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"Caveat emptor, Chicago. We know you wanted him, but just how closely were the powers that be paying attention to how this guy was behaving as he was trying to get out of Denver?"

Yes, Cutler's a large-mouth bass, all right. But the Bears are one of those franchises that can absorb that sort of dissent, especially if they're winning. It's like the Celts and Lakers in the NBA -- they can take chances on players that other teams can't, because the fans regard the franchise as more important than the individual player. A player who doesn't feel honored to play in Chicago gets short shrift from the fan base there. If Cutler gets too uppity, the fans will start shouting at him to shut up and sit down -- which they did from time to time with McMahon, much as they loved the guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Here here nate. But I think you missed someone from that list.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

beeps, and stuff

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

What does it say about our FO that two out of three were sought after by Vinny and Dannyboy?

Posted by: Devo2 | August 13, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Why can't we trade one of our decent backup safeties for a decent backup o-line men or backup linebacker?

Posted by: NFeKPo | August 13, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 13, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Him making his comments public is retarded. I do agree that he should be able to give his 2 cents about who he's throwing to but keep it in house. Chicago dosent have the best track record with WRs. They brought in one of the best arms in the sport and are going to have him throw to Hester and B Lloyd???

And I would much rather watch a self absorbed idiot throw it down field than a "true professional" hit the back in the flats or the TE for a 5 yd gain.

Posted by: murphyz | August 13, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse