Horton Awarded Performance-Based Money

Redskins safety Chris Horton has earned $342,197 in additional pay, thanks to the NFL's performance-based pay system. Horton's payday is the third-highest in the league, behind Chargers tackle Jeromey Clarey ($405,859) and Cardinals center Lyle Sendlein $348,134). Performance-based pay goes to players at the lower end of the pay scale, guys whose playing time is out of proportion to their pay.

A seventh-round draft pick (244th overall) out of UCLA last April, Horton had 76 tackles and three interceptions in 15 games. In June, he signed a three-year, $1.191 million deal that included a $36,000 signing bonus.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 24, 2009; 1:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Should the NFL Change Regular-Season Length?
Next: Position Battle: Right Tackle

Comments

I am glad. He was a shining light in an otherwise dim draft (so far). Maybe the other sophomores will step up to try and get more cash. (Fingers crossed).

Posted by: moosepod | March 24, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

1st! Horton deserved the pay...

Posted by: gr8fullted | March 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2, shouldn't Buges shoulder some of the blame for the blocking scheme? It stops at the HC, I know, but he needs his experienced position coaches to do their jobs too.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 24, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Buges doesn't call the blocking schemes, based on my understanding it is dictated by the play call (JZ) and the audibles at the line which Rabach used to make but in this system JC makes. Regardless, the play and formation called by JZ should have had the TE and RB on that side giving a woefully overmatched player help and if it didn't, JC should have known that and made an adjustment. No matter how you slice it though, it is absolutely insane that no help was there, John Madden was in the booth on the telecast saying he didn't understand what they were doing and that it was just inexcusable. When you go Madden questioning you on air...that aint good.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow a player actually earning his salary. A novel idea indeed.

Posted by: Gweez | March 24, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

rinehart was inactive for every game. none of our rookies were "ready" to play. at some point that has to fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff...

they can't all be "bad picks"

Posted by: carsonspence | March 24, 2009 1:29 PM
====================================
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

HORTON HEARS A HIT! Congrats Chris! I look forward to the upcoming season and our defensive line up.

Posted by: clark202 | March 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Dockery use to get big checks as well his 1st 4 years here through this system.

Can we get a list of what everyone has or do I need to click over to the other site?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I had never heard of this - the league kicks in money?

Well deserved, very glad to hear it.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

funny that JLC doesn't report something positive about a Skins draft pick.

Posted by: IHateJLC | March 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but was that a joke, or was that the truth????

I'm struggling with that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

pick #244 and we just picked up #243, hope we can pull off someone like Horton again

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

theCork

'....In truth, the Skins are perilously thin at CB once you get past the two starters....I am sure Vinny has his little list telling him what to draft and if a CB is the "best available" that's what he'll go for....'

Obviously, you're a smart man as this seems like the more likely scenario than the slb/ot/de fantasies bloggas have been aping about for the past month.

Again: Vinny believes in some of the guys he drafted (Jackson, Heyer, Buzbee, Wilson) and they all are guys playing positions that folks think are positions of need.

And if the team isn't going to play let's make a deal with Bly/Rolle drafting a young stud corner makes sense as behind Rogers/Hall/Smoot there's nothing but a practice squad player and a dwarf.

Let 1 front line corner go down in a passing league and you're exposed against a team that plays 3 and 4 wide sets.

Folks needs to get up close and personal with Victor Harris, Malcolm Jenkins, Alphonso Smith and some of the other corners on the board as anyone of them might be flown in on draft day and given Leigh Torrance's old number.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

So, The AFC West Champions who have one of the best RBs and QBs ini the League, has a starting Tackle drafted in the 6th round.

Heyer

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

+++They will need to trade next year's pick as well I suspect to go lower in the 1st and pick up a second or two as they did last year. Maybe pick up an additional 3rd.

Posted by: periculum+++

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I figured out why I can't follow soccer...

Usually even if you're a resident, and born in this country, even though the US has a team, it's likely that that fan will still pull for a contry that they can identify with, would you say?

So all I need is a country to indentify with? Hmm, lets see... get back with me in a about 3-5 years. I have a bunch of research to do... Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I may very well be wasting my time anyway, so....

Look, I'm not going to front like I know anything about soccer, 'cause I don't. But I know what I see, and just because there are kid leagues that are very, very popular (Like in the NE region of the US) doesn't mean that they're playing everywhere else like that.

Majority of the "people" I see playing soccer around here are of Latin decent - (and to a greater extent, dare I say the rest of the country), as in minority, as in not popular - in the US.

F soccer, I'm done.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 24, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I had never heard of this - the league kicks in money?

Well deserved, very glad to hear it.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 1:34 PM

No. It's from the 59% the players get from the pie........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum+++

They will only need to give up 13 to get a later first and either a 2nd or 3rd.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 24, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

+++cork, from the previous post, and I'm trying to be nice but someone married you, AND had kids with you....are you serious??

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but was that a joke, or was that the truth????

I'm struggling with that...

Posted by: BeantownGreg +++

Women love guys with a dry wit like mine. That, Darwinism, and a winkie the size of Flounder's IQ does not bode well for you ever finding a mate.

Just don't get desperate and do what your Poppa did--marrying outside his species.

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

**************

By Cindy Boren | March 24, 2009; 1:06 PM ET

I don't think so. It's just the people making less money will likely incur more money because of the formula they use.

I think Griffin got like $10Gs and he's getting paid.

"Performance-Based Pay was created as part of the NFL’s 2002 Collective Bargaining Agreement extension with the NFL Players Association. The system creates a fund used to supplement player compensation based on a comparison of playing time to salary. This program will stay in place through the remaining years of the CBA in which a Salary Cap exists.

In 2009, the Performance-Based Pay fund will be approximately $3.5 million per club, which is a five percent increase over the 2008 fund.

Players become eligible to receive performance-based pay in any regular season in which they play at least one official down.

Last year, nearly $99 million was distributed to players in performance-based pay for 2007.

Under the system, performance-based pay is computed by using a “player index.” To produce the index, a player’s regular-season playtime (total plays on offense, defense and special teams) is divided by his adjusted regular-season compensation (full season salary, prorated portion of signing bonus, earned incentives). Each player’s index is then compared to those of the other players on his team to determine the amount of his pay.
"

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Never works the other way around, huh, where a highly paid player who doesn't do squat has to give back some salary... that alone would have kept the Skins well under the cap last year (BLloyd is still eating up millions this year)!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 24, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003

We need to trade down to spot #249, where we picked Horton.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for a serious answer there.

So seriously, someone married, and reproduced with you, a woman that is, is that correct?? Not that there is anything wrong with the 'other'....but come on, no one else finds this shocking

I mean, I'm shocked if you answer yes to this question....shocked.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Soccer does truly suck. The rest of the world only likes it because most of them are starving and seeing other starving men run around a field fighting over, with only their feet, what they believe to be a delicious inflated sheep's bladder is tortuously thrilling. Hence the agression and violence that often takes form in the stands.

Posted by: DickCheneysDutchOvenCookies | March 24, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Ethan Albright must LOVE performance based pay

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Women don't like small "winkies" wtf is that and dbags, sorry cork you lost the battle and the war. Could Cork be JLAC...small winkie, small iq, always negative, maybe so...

Also dont mistake like for sympathy when it comes to having a good wit.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 24, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Beantown-
I'm shocked as well- be very cautious of a "man" who uses the word "winkie" - be very cautious.

Posted by: richard_cranium | March 24, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

seriously - "winkie", come on...

Cork do you like gerbils?

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 24, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

red

'...F soccer, I'm done...'

Somebody give this dude a beer.

I hate soccer, too.

I can't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Horton deserved the money, tough player. Anyone heard if the two retarded WR have shown up or done anything?

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Bloody wankers.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 24, 2009 2:05 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
watch it.. thats "special needs" WR's.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

mhartz

'...Cork do you like gerbils?...'

Whatever happened to Phife anyways?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Well done young man...

I Love Horton (in a mnaly football way), I think he can be a real star in the league as long as the money does not go to his head.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

PHIFE DAWG FROM A TRIBE CALLED QUEST GETS A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT

Allhiphop.com is reporting that A Tribe Called Quest member Phife Dawg just received a much needed kidney transplant. The rapper has been suffering from ailing health and sparked discussion after his frail appearance at the VH1 Hip Honors. Honorees Jarobi White, Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Consequence of A Tribe Called Quest attended the 4th Annual VH1 Hip Hop Honors ceremony at the Hammerstein Ballroom on October 4, 2007 in New York City.

We wish to send our prayers out to Phife and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Phife Dawg’s long fight with diabetes recently took a new turn for the better, as the Queens native finally received a kidney transplant. The new kidney comes after a waiting period of over two years, which saw Phife endure problems performing live and a dramatic weight loss through his dialysis treatment. Originally diagnosed with diabetes in May of 1990, Phife admitted to not taking care of himself by eating the worst types of food for someone with his condition: fats, sweets, and alcohol.

Bandmate Q-Tip, fast approaching the release of his second solo LP The Renaissance, was ecstatic to report to AllHipHop.com that Phife is already showing improvement right after the surgery.“He’s doing great!” Q-Tip exclaims. “He just had a successful kidney transplant so shouts out to Phife diggity dog! That’s my n***a right there.” The door is now open again for a possible Tribe Called Quest reunion, which Q-Tip has previously stated would be on hold until Phife’s health improved.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow we were having some conversations about the league and sports, now just back to incredibly bad insults, pathetic attempts at 2nd grade humor and dumb statements.

And Red, they play youth soccer everywhere...i mean everywhere, not just the NE.....

And insulting people's kids and wives? I would say you're better than that, but I am not so sure...

Oh well, much easier to get back to work, so thanks!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

That's like an additional year of salary under his existing contract. I could use an additional year of salary...

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

+++I was hoping for a serious answer there.

I mean, I'm shocked if you answer yes to this question....shocked.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg

A serious answer? How is one to suspect someone whose go-to move is always "why don't you hold your breath until you die" is ever serious?

For you non-Bostonians, Beans retorts are "Boston humor." It comes from a winter of driving thru slush, eating yellow snow, and worrying part of the nifty multi-billion dollar depressed artery will fall on him.

In Beans case, too, there's those countless hours of standing around the Combat Zone asking anything with teeth: "How much for a topless Bikini Wax?"

Boston is a great town to be from--actually far away from. New England is great, but NE starts about 25 miles outside Boston, or anyplace Beantown Greg calls home.

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

They don't play soccer in DC. Kids I mean such as Greg's (not a diss, just example).

Only in the Suburbs, not including PG County......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

PHIFE DAWG FROM A TRIBE CALLED QUEST GETS A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Richard Gere must of put a tibetian curse on him for starting the Gerbil rumor.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"The teams that majority of fans follow are from overseas, right? "National teams", correct?"

You're confused. A majority of fans follow club teams from overseas. National teams play on a sporadic basis, usually only in strong doses for one month or so 3 out of every 4 years (the World Cup year, the year of regional championships, and generally the year prior to the World Cup for the biggest part of qualifying). Yes, a majority of fans "follow" other national teams, as in they enjoy watching those teams play because they feature the best talent. But a majority are FANS of the US National team.

The part about fans watching overseas soccer refers to people being more likely to watch Bercelona, Manchester United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, or any of those clubs more so than watching an MLS club.

"But I know what I see, and just because there are kid leagues that are very, very popular (Like in the NE region of the US) doesn't mean that they're playing everywhere else like that."

And what do you think, people in Vermont and New Hampshire are just lining up to play football on a weekly basis? Or baseball leagues even here in the DC region are overpopulated with youngsters? Every region is going to have different turnouts with regards to popularity. But I can tell you that DC, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Dallas, Chicago, the entire state of California, St. Louis, or essentially any major city in this country are hotbeds for soccer talent. It isn't limited to one or two regions of the country, the way a sport like Lacrosse is.

"And psps, shame on you for bringing up the fact that soccer has grown in the last 20 years... sort of like traveling 20 miles on a trip that is 200 miles overall in distance..."

Not just "grown". It's exploded from complete obscurity to having the major networks fight for airtime for the World Cup, European Championships, Champions League, and all other major competitions. Even ten years ago you had to pay "Pay-per-view" just to see some of these games. Now ESPN/ABC has a stranglehold to show each and every game on every one of these tournaments.

Keep denying its popularity Red. It's only going to keep growing.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Only in the Suburbs, not including PG County......
Posted by: 4thFloor

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

lol, corky you're showing your experience with the combat zone......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

F chrislarry - it's March, what do you expect on here?

Posted by: richard_cranium | March 24, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

A JLac Discussion Headline we will never see...??

If Six Flags goes bankrupt, will Dan Snyder sell the Skins??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"I am 100% against trading away next year's picks because I hold to the desperate hope that next year's draft day decisions will be made by someone who has a clue.

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2009"

Same here. But I was against the Haynesworth signing because of what is happening now. I was against signing 2 WR and a TE in the 2nd. Liked Rhinehart in the 3rd but he was a bust. Horton was a big surprise. Like the punter wanted a kicker yet another bust. Liked the DE, but he is too small and should be converted to a linebacker ala Chris Gocong. Why hasn't he? Apparently he isn't up to it?

So ... what does it matter Cork? If they tempt serendipity this year or next? Are you holding out hope that Vinnie will get "moved out" of his current position and someone new will replace him? Do you think Snidely would listen to someone who knows what they were talking about? He fired 2 (Saunders and Williams) and chased another into retirement (Gibbs). I doubt that they had framed pictures of his parents on their desks the way Vinnie does.

They need players this year in order to field a team that has some chance in the ultra competitive NFC BEAST.

I don't agree with mortgaging the future but see no other choice given the salary cap situation. And that will definitely continue to be a problem through next year.

In 2011 it looks like they have a chance to start anew.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"And when they tell Moe most of the world loves the sport, I remind the speaker that most of the world lacks electricity, is poor and underfed, so who can trust the judgement of hungry people sitting in the dark?"

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And 4th ... Heyer IS NOT A JOE JACOBY ... not even a Mark May ... not a Raleigh McKenzie ... not a Ray Brown even a 40 something Ray Brown certainly not a 10th round Schlereth who also blocked for Elway's superbowl winning teams.

Heyer is a dirt cheap swing man. Necessary given the prolific injuries that have struck the line. But not a starter.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is a wonderful way to keep video game/internet obsessed children active. It is an abysmal excuse for a televised sport however and I don't really see it ever becoming interesting to me at all. Its in the same league as bowling and fishing shows as far as entertainment value. I take that back, sometimes fishing shows are pretty cool....

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Rhinehart was inactive for every game. none of our rookies were "ready" to play. at some point that has to fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff...

they can't all be 'bad picks'"

Posted by: carsonspence | March 24, 2009"

So I guess this coaching staff didn't start the rookie punter, didn't start Horton at safety, didn't start undrafted Stephon Heyer at left tackle in his rookie year? Did they?

Yes, all bad picks.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Only in the Suburbs, not including PG County......
Posted by: 4thFloor

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 2:27 PM

Because PG is desparate and they think they ca nget some revenue streams from a soccer stadium in Landover.

Ha!

The PG Council is already balking. But there is a humoungous latino population in PG.

And DC and PG (Kids age) have very few people participating in soccer, outside of the latino community, is because kids play either Football or basketball Year round. (Which I don't approve of)

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of fishing as well as hunting, big fan of shows of both as well.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

And Rabach is definitely not a Bostic or a Grimm at center.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:32 PM

Wow. I'll be sure to forward him the message so he can pin it in his locker room so he can continue to develop a mean streak.....

I don't know why you don't think he can be a starter. I was comparing him to Jacoby only because both were Undrafted RFA.

He started in his rookie year AND won the starting spot in year 2 only to be derailed by his HC.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

CHRIS HORTON U EARNED IT BRO, JUST MAKE SURE U DONT GET LAZY THIS YEAR

Posted by: redstick2 | March 24, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"WTF are you talking about, they will not need to trade next years first to go lower in this years draft.

They will only need to give up 13 to get a later first and either a 2nd or 3rd.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 24, 2009"

Last year they got extra 2nds for a first. They need to keep a 1st rounder ... and get those 2nd rounders again ... plus xtra 3rds if they can. They need 2-4 (preferably 4) tackle / guard-center types now. They need a Cornerback. They need 2 OLB. They can live without a DE but should try to get one if a potential sleeper becomes available. They need a kicker, and a punter.

In other words they need to be the Eagles with 11 draft picks.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

And Rabach is definitely not a Bostic or a Grimm at center.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:36 PM

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

4th, enough with the "derailed by his coach" talk....If Heyer could run block better and didn't get hurt, he wouldn't have been replaced.

He's at best, a below average run blocker.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If Six Flags goes bankrupt, will Dan Snyder sell the Skins??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 2:29 PM

There is a completely different entity that brought shares of Six Flags from the company Snyder operates under that has controlling interest of the Redskins......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

They need Samari Rolle or Dre Bly maybe both to ensure a high level of play from Rogers and Hall. Smoot was a mistake.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

4th,
I do think DC's yuppie / yippie population would be big enough to support a team in the city. Guys like me who grew up in the burbs and moved into the city as soon as we could because of our hate of the burbs, we all played soccer and whatnot. Granted I dont like being a spectator for soccer as much as baseball.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:35 PM

4th--Are you sure about this? Stoddert Soccer is huge in DC and is usually kids' first sport -- both in the spring and the fall. It's the only organized sport my kids played, aside from Tee Ball. I don't know of any organized youth football. Basketball, yes, but not football. Tee ball and little league are both pretty big. At least, that's how it is here in NW DC.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"You're right - he's better. Bostic spent half the 87 superbowl season on the sideline playing backup, cause St. Joe and Buges didn't believe in him.

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009"

They had lots of extra guards. Grimm could play center they felt he would give them the big center to intimidate the tackles and MLB. Bostic is a lot smaller ... but he proved he was tougher and better when Grimm was injured. He never lost the job after that.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

WTF,
The NFL is banning the wedge on kickoff returns!!!

BOOOOO! They continue to make special teams less special. Soon they will just let a FG kick go un pressured.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"periculum = not a single post based in the realm of possibility = priest holmes....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009"

Careful, Priest may be ready to channel Kryon of the Magnetic Service. He has a lot to say about Snidely and Vinnie ... as Mista Moe knows ...

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Why does love of football and futbol have to be exclusionary?
I've been a skins man my whole life, doesnt mean I cant appreciate the grace and athleticism on display during a soccer game. Sure, there are a lot of boring soccer games. Does anybody remember the Skins vs. Rams game last year? Hell, has anyone heard of baseball? As for it not being a good sport on TV, it has the same probs as football. In football, I cant see the WRs running their routes, in soccer I cant see strikers making their runs. Both games reward attendance. Big plus about soccer, NO COMMERCIALS. Football, constant 'media timeouts' and a total lack of respect for the fans at home and in stadium.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | March 24, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"You do know that the Richard Gere and 'gerbils' thing is a massive urban legion promoted by Phife Dog's lyrics in a song where he says, "...I'll get up in dat a$$ like Richard Gere 'n gerbils...."

Whatever happened to Phife anyways?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009"

Hmmm always thought they were a homosexual favorite play toy? I remember those skits Don and Mike used to do with Gibbs and Reeves as butt buddies.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:44 PM

And Rabach has never lost the job...ever.

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

He's at best, a below average run blocker.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 2:41 PM

But you like the consistency, no?

Facts:

* He won the starting RT spot
* He got injured in game 2 or 3
* When he recovered from the injury, he was not allowed/given his starting job back. Though it is said in the NFL, you don't lose your job to injury

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Odd that PG is the one getting the stadium... That said I thought it should either have been in DC or NoVA

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009"

FedEx field should be the soccer stadium. They should build a new Redskins Colliseum in DC.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If Six Flags goes bankrupt, will Dan Snyder sell the Skins??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 2:29 PM

Snyder owns a bit less than 6% of Six Flags stock. His stake today is worth about $1.3 million. If Six Flags went kaput, that's what he'd lose. That's less than he lost on, say, Adam Archuleta. So, when he lost money on Archuleta did he have to sell the 'Skins?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"And Rabach has never lost the job...ever.

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009"

WRONG. He was on the bench for the Ravens after starting. He got beat out ... twice. That's where the Redskins found him ... on the bench.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

psps23

'..Which would make sense if it weren't for the fact that none of England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Russia, Japan, etc. fall under that distinction...'

And turn the lights off when you're done--ooops, I forgot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

4th, he could not run block. Jansen could. When they went 6-2 it was based on the running game, and being able to run to both sides of field.

Heyer needs to get stronger, get bigger, and get a mean streak, and learn how to run block.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Xenophobes r us up here today.....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"How was he not derailed by his HC who got superstitoius and kept the line intact because a winning streak was created?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009"

Samuels was already hurting ... Jansen was definitely not reliable. Jansen could never move to left tackle ... but Heyer could. Kept relatively injury free he was available when Samuels went down. As for Jansen they had Fabrini to go in ...

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009"

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 2:52 PM

Actually, the skins signed him off the Ravens starting roster. Your right in that he was a backup to begin with, but he hasn't lost the starting job since.

Posted by: 4skinz | March 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Well Peri,
Let me just say if it could work
Best.....Idea......Ever

You would have to re-design FedEx to meet Soccer standards.

Just dont hire the idiots who designed Nat's Park.

I still think my design for a Redskins coliseum, inspired by a mix of the Rome Coliseum and the Jefferson Memorial, with a open roof like RFK, that could have a cloth "dome" put on for a super bowl would be the perfect stadium.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 2:44 PM

I lived in DC until my teen years and have never heard of this stadium. I know plenty of youth football teams, though. I should know since I was on one way back when....

That's why I added this to that post:

"They may in Upper Upper NW, but that's a different breed from the rest of the city.

...................

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:20 PM
"

You are included in that category (Clev Park?). I know you may say there's no difference, but to me there is. Or maybe DC is just 2 or 3 cities living under the name of just one?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Heyer both "won" and "lost" the starting job under the same set of eyes. This isn't some grand conspiracy against Heyer to hide his unbelievable talent. He lost the job because Portis was churning out 100 yard games like butter with Jansen in the lineup, something he wasn't doing with Heyer, not because Zorn got "superstitious".

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

will_ga

'....Soccer is a wonderful way to keep video game/internet obsessed children active....'

I use it to put my kids to sleep.

In fact, it works the same way on me, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

My guess is periculum is specualting on the CB's on a name basis so I am probably wasting my time but Samari Rolle is old and injured all the time. He is about the same talent as Smoot. I didn't see the Broncos much last year but Bly played on one of the worst defenses in the league and was cut. Smoot will be ok as the nickel, we just don't want him starting due to injury.

Lastly on Heyer, I like the guy. He has played ok when plugged in there mostly remembering the playoff run in 2007. But I don't look at the guy and feel like we have the RT spot solved for the next 5 years. The draft could do that for us.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 24, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I echo that sentiment sichuan...

Hockey is one sport that truely is better in person. I like it on TV, but to be at the game is another level.

And I went to one NASCAR race and it was insane. Just the sheer sound and power.

Babseball is the most boring sport, but a good time at the park.

World Cup and the Eurpoean Leagues are the real way to watch soccer.

It would be akin to someone in germany denoucing football because NFLE sucks. Then they might go their whole life with this thought that american football isnt a good sport.

Then they see the NFL and their mids are opened!!

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Greg - The (3) facts I put out there. Are they misrepresnted in ANY way?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 2:51 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks...didnt know his risk was so small.. Its somewhat confusing because he (snyder) hired 6 Flag's current CEO (Shapiro from ESPN).
Dont get much 6 flags info up here, north of Beantown..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 2:57 PM

What about that second half of the season? They managed to go 2-6 w/o Heyer at RT.

To me, that's superstisous. Zorn not wanting to mess up any chemistry. And not changing the line up during the 2-6 run because he thought the spark may come back.

Though Jansen looked horrible in that 2nd half.....

Greg - Were the (3) facts I stated correct?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Well one thing is obvious about soccer. You either love it or hate it. Doesn't seem like there is room for middle ground."

I watch the World Cup, but no other soccer. Middle ground?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 2:56 PM |

Stoddert Soccer has 5,000 kids participating -- about 350 teams in all age groups.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

alex

'....I still think my design for a Redskins coliseum...'

What are the politics that stop the team from moving back to DC?

A domed or open/closed roof Super Bowl ready stadium in the Nation's capitol makes a lot of sense money and fanbase wise.

It would take a powerful group of dudes to pull that off.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I use it to put my kids to sleep.

In fact, it works the same way on me, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 2:57 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Soccer would be much more exciting if it ended the way the Aztec's ended their ball games..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Tom Brady and Kurt Warner called, and said that "losing your job to injury" stuff is from like 1983. Other than that, Heyer still couldn't run block.

4th, so what you're suggesting is that when Heyer was healthy, it would have been more prudent to pull Jansen, and stop being able to run to the right, just to honor some 'tradition' that might exist??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

But there is a humoungous latino population in PG.
__________________________________________
Where ISN'T there a huge latino population now?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:02 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Patrick Kerney loved going up against Heyer in the playoffs.. You could hear Heyer say "O Lay"..as Kerney passed by on his way to Collins..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is huge among young people. Everybody I know who has little kids have them in some soccer league - regardless of jurisdiction.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | March 24, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:01 PM

I think Snyder's still Chairman of the Board, but he's not as meddlesome with Six Flags as he is with the 'Skins. Bill Gates owns more Six Flags stock than Snyder does. What Snyder did was to assemble a coalition of shareholders, including Gates, who seized control of the company and replaced the management.

It looks like the new management team has done a better job, increasing attendance and revenues, but the company has a crushing debt load. I think it will go bankrupt and will be owned by the debt-holders. 4th thinks they'll turn it around.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"The skins should trade Horton, Cooley, Campbell and their first round pick for Cutler.

Posted by: srobert1117 | March 24, 2009"

They'd be way over the salary cap. The wouldn't even have a rookie pool. That is fantasy.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"So add Sudan, the Congo, the Slums of India, Central America, Cameroon, Central Asia, Mongolia, any country whose last name ends with -stan, Southeast Asia, and you'd have a population greater than the 1st World European countries you list and also match my definition of the people who love soccer."

You're having a little trouble with logic there, Moe. The fact that "Third World" countries take an interest in soccer does NOT change the fact that "First World" countries are equally as passionate about it.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Where ISN'T there a huge latino population now?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Mexico and Central America

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm done with Heyer talk today.

LH - I have a 9 yr old and I have never heard of a soccer league in PG. Not from MNCPPC, Parks and Recs, Sports & Learning Complex. no where. I can see maybe some in Laurel and Upper Marlboro, but that's about it.

Football season around here is from April through December. (Flag in April - June, 'Training Camp' in June - August, and Contact from September - December)

Basketball is year round as well. My son's team went undefeated in his league and the coach is trying to get all of them to stay on for the AAU season that started this past weekend, even though his season just got over the week before.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Horton get a little more. Too bad the Redskins can't find more players like him in the draft. Of course, a few years from now when his contract expires, Vinny will watch him leave just like D. Evans.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"I use it to put my kids to sleep.

In fact, it works the same way on me, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 2:57 PM"

Golf and NASCAR can be worst ... LOL

Soccer in Italy is cool. Every reasonably sized city has a team. Not all are in Serie A, the major leagues. If the club does well enough, the entire club gets promoted to serie A, not just individual players. That I thought made it easy to root for your city's team.

World Cup is more like a pro bowl, all star, WBC, Olympics game where players from many different teams unite under the country's banner.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Moe,
I follow it as close as I can, not an expert in it. Usually about 2 weeks before the start of the season Snyder does an interview where he is asked that as one question and we get some snippet.

Here is the deal from what I know.

The City (well Fenty) says they want the team back, would give the skins the RFK land to build on, but does not want to pony up another 600 M for the stadium like they did for Nats park.

Snyder seems interested in it happening but they have a lot of major contracts involved in the current stadium, the biggest being the naming rights, which I think was in the 200 million for 25 year deal. I dunno if thats 25 years left in the deal from 2 years ago, or the overall deal was for 25 years meaning it would be over in about 15 years.

At the peak of the housing market the deal was Danny would sell the current stadium for an estimated 750 M and that would pay for most of a new stadium, the one in dallas was 1+ billion but that thing is silly looking and so much of that goes to building a sick retractable dome. Not gonna happen.

So my guess is when the contract for the FedEx name is over, along with some of the other contracts the team will sell off the land if the market is recovered and they will get it all done.

usually you get a story or two a year about it, saying it will happen some day or that the city and team are meeting about it.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I went to one NASCAR race, and uh, those were women?

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Yoder you proved me wrong I guess there is somewhat a middle ground.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Don't forget the gobs of liquored up women showing off, or maybe that's just Talladega....

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2009"

WHERE IS THAT AGAIN???? Priest and I need to take a road trip.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm done with Heyer talk today.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

You don't even know where to buy booze in MD on Sunday, so you're not exactly an authority on the area.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 24, 2009 3:17 PM

You had me worried there for a minute. I was afraid you were going to say that we'll cut him like Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"Beantown, you are aware that the Skins didn't lose a game with Heyer starting at RT.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

They lost to the Giants.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"As bad as Heyer was abused by Kerney in that playoff game, I think that game can get overlooked. The noise in that place didn't help at all and Kerney was just teeing off.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 24, 2009"

Heyer is a great swing man and spot starter. He is not really a starting tackle.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Ref Six Flags..
4th should buy stock.. 24 cents a share today (stock symbol, SIX)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...but the company has a crushing debt load. I think it will go bankrupt and will be owned by the debt-holders. 4th thinks they'll turn it around.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:11 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Smack and will,

went to dover and there were plenty good looking ladies... most of questionable age and clothing.

It got a little boring, drinking in the hot sun all day.

But a race 'gameday' or fan experience puts all else to shame.

Capitalism at its finest...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

And I can only bear it on TV a little more now.

HD has helped some sports immensly.

Golf greens and courses are glorious in HD. Racing is a little better. Hockey probably gets the most benefit because it is easier to see the puck. Thaty is the hardest thing for a novice hockey fan to get used to on TV>..

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

psps23

'...Your logic makes about as much sense as saying you're against eating bread or rice because there are as many "Third World" countries consuming those products as there are "First World" countries....'

I'm not ever guilty of being logical about something I don't care about.

'Cuz to me, that's illogical.

The statement you responded to is a reflection of the little Carlos Mencia that resides in all of us.

And to be honest, whereas I don't like bread or rice, I do have more of it in my food pantry than most of the people living in the countries on that list.

Ooops-another illogical remark for some spock-like character to correct.

Let me help you out, psps23: sarcasm and hyperbole are figures of speech that use over-exaggeration/irony to make a ridiculous point about a silly issue.

To me: liking soccer and analyzing blog-speak like and English lit major is what's silly.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

WHERE IS THAT AGAIN???? Priest and I need to take a road trip.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:18 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Where ISN'T there a huge latino population now?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Antartica

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:19 PM

Liqour, not booze. You can't buy liqour anywhere in MD on Sundays. Well at least that I know of within driving distance (MoCo/PG/Calvert/Charles).......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

zeebs, family member has season tickets up at NHIS, I've been at every NASCAR race up there for about 8 years running now.....

If you've never been to those who haven't, just go ONE TIME, just to experience the whole thing.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs,
I hear Baseball is also amazing on HD, think the beauty of the grass from golf and the problem with the puck from hockey (on the baseball) both being solved.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Ref Six Flags..
4th should buy stock.. 24 cents a share today (stock symbol, SIX)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:20 PM

He could buy 5% of the company today or, for the same price, a case of booze on Sunday. What would you do?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

i would add greg, try to get seats near the start finish line. Everyone says wreck are the best but really it is the restarts after wrecks as the cars come screaming down the track from 20 mph to 160 +

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I hear you alex, but each game by itself is so inconsequential. That is why football fans are so rabid. 16 games where each means so mu ch more.

So we have come full circle, i say no to lengthing the season.

Lessen the pre season and make each quarter 18 minutes long!!!

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

False!

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd take the company in a heartbeat......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Periculum -- LOL. Your best work is these short, funny posts. Assuming, of course, that you are actually trying to be funny.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009"

Of course I am totally serious ... actually I think Kryon or Krylon is full of hot air. I am trying to convince Priest to instead channel Vannevar Bush, because he predicted the Internet in 1945. We figure his ghost, maybe Lombardi, Allen, some others could help figure out what to do with the Snidely Skins. Gotta be better than serendipity with Vinnie.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

preposterous

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

For 240 dollars that would be enough shares to sit in at the next Six Flags shareholders meeting , run by Snyder and Shapiro, wearing a "Vinnie has to Go" T-Shirt.
Mastercard moment.. Priceless

Ref Six Flags..
4th should buy stock.. 24 cents a share today (stock symbol, SIX)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:20 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 3:28 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

False!

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:31 PM

Good Lord. Give up the goods then......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

zeebs, really? I personally prefer them in the corners. The seats I'm in are looking down the front straight away, and just as the cars come into turn 1. You can see a lot more of the 'rubbin' going into turn 1......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me. Calvert County?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Where ISN'T there a huge latino population now?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Antartica

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM |

JohnD, NICE! Eleven years in Houston myself...I feel ya!

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Horton is a sytem guy the DC from ucla was a secondary coach for the skins under G williams. cant remember his name. So I wouldn't expect much more from him than what we saw last year. I like the guy but would rather see us get a coverage saftey and let Landry play on the line.
With Dock back and if thomas is healthy we should give Heyer a shot our left side will be strong so we could put the tight end on right side on run downs

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, greg, my one time... it seemed like a perfect spot.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

alex

'....I still think my design for a Redskins coliseum...'

Posted by: MistaMoe

players vs lions. I like it

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Arundel. Starting Gate liquors and Corridor Fine Wine all dispense liquor in mass quantities, even on the Lord's day.

There's also a Safeway that sells beer and wine til Midnight every day...on Briggs Chaney Rd.

If your car can't make it to Laurel, you need a new car. You'll probably need a new car after parking in Laurel anyway.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Six Flags can't go out of business. They would be rescued by congress before they go out of business. Even if they filed for bankruptcy, it would be for a reorg.

The problem is the debt. It's too much for the business model.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Where ISN'T there a huge latino population now?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Antartica

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Most penguins are latino. From Isla Malvines or Tierra del Fuego or places like that. Proof: speak to them in English and they don't understand

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

DG28

'...cant remember his name...'

I believe the name is DeWayne Walker.

Or I'm wrong.

Or illogical.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Where ISN'T there a huge latino population now?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Mexico and Central America

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:16 PM |

F'in HILARIOUS! (and probably true!)

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

On that end smack,

Game day, 8 am, 95 S at 216. Go east. Take a left at the light. They saved me and my friend one sunday when he 'forgot' to get beers the night before the game...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

A Note to SKINSNEEDAGM: Get it right, the two rookie wideouts(Thomas&Kelly) are known as Kid n'Play.

Posted by: dargregmag | March 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Moe, I'm no stranger to sarcasm or hyperbole. My bad for mistaking you for an attempted logical one. It doesn't take an English Lit major to point out simple fallacies, especially on an "argument" I've heard 20 times before from people acting in all seriousness.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:26 PM

4th, just head north on the B/W Pkwy to Rt. 198 in Laurel. It's a lot closer to you than Calvert and Charles counties.
Corridor Fine Wine....huge warehouse...beer, wine, liquor...7 days a week...cheaper than any other retail store out there.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 24, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

As to the ethnic makeup of penguins - you're probably right, but the thing that throws me about penguins is that they are always dressed in tuxedos - made me think they were English or Great British or something.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | March 24, 2009 3:42 PM |

I thought it was Sit N' Spin?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The problem is the debt. It's too much for the business model.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:40 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some heavy hitters.. Gates, Snyder, etc.
Wonder if they will purchase the debt for tax reasons.. The stock could be a sleeper at .24 per share.
The new delisting law will keep it out of the pink sheets for awhile..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Uh, I mean "What SMACK said."

Posted by: 4-12 | March 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

And, the Houston Chronicle has never filed a report about two penguins getting into a knife fight outside a SW Houston bar called "The Nite Life" on Saturday night.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ok, thanks. Anybody can sale Beer/Wine on anyday.

I'll map quest that other spot see how far up in laurel it is.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"Go to nascar.com to find a race near you. I promise there's tickets available this year. Get some friends and rent an rv. It'll change your life!! However, summers in the south are rough. The pervasive stench of stale Budweiser flavored vomit can linger in your nostrils for days...

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2009"

I like my Margarita's without salt Texas style at the North Shore Grill on Tybee Island right outside of Savannah ... Savannah Music festival right now ... know that for St. Patties the women in Savannah for the celebration get drunk and "show off" if you throw beads at them.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Corridor's the best. That's where I bought all of the booze for my wedding reception.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The problem is the debt. It's too much for the business model.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:40 PM

Yeah..... i suppose all their executives are due bonueses

Posted by: leevi98 | March 24, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't the TickTock Restaurant, Bar, Lounge and Liquor Store still open on Sundays in PG County?"

NOW there's a name Priest and I haven't heard in a while. Kind a like Dietl's on Rockville Pike.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Well this constitutes a beer "State of Emergency", at which point is it legal to smash your way into any beer store, as long as you leave a note.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

They lost to the Giants.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 3:20 PM

There you go with the facts again. Well how about this: It wasn't his fault.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Priest and I be drinking with the other ghosts at the Pirate's House, on the river in Savannah.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

4th- You know you don't need mapquest, just me.
You live near Ral*cough*jon, right? 15 minutes, tops.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 24, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess that would be considered Laurel smack... how I love that town (sarcasm implied)

Posted by: Zeebs | March 24, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

psps23

There's no offense here.

I'm a snarky kind of guy in real life, too.

The football related stuff I post I'm serious about.

Everything else is Moe being an idiot with multiple pages up on his computer and a bad joke filtering through his mind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I was reliably told by a penguin in a rein-stone glove that it doesn't matter if you are black or white.

He then proceeded to... oh god, there's a memory I repressed!!

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

TickTock was great, isn't that where they re-opened Sunday at midnight, and stayed open until 2am. I don't think they sold a lot of Chateau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac to the post-midnight crowd.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 24, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

MOE,
You should replace your joke filter every 3,000 jokes.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Tic Tock (The Spot I brought my alchol from the age of 16 until I turned 21 when they finally decided to card me. I had a full beard back then.) didn't sale liqour on Sundays, if I remember correctly.

But they were open until like 4am, though...

They would throw these plastic sheets over the hard stuff. But, there still are stabbings, murders, and just drunk out of work fools all around....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | March 24, 2009 3:42 PM |

I thought it was Sit N' Spin?

Posted by: tripz | March 24, 2009 3:46 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
any sightings of them at Redskins Park, yet??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I can see Raljohn from my house. Seriously.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

My GF used to live right behind Tick Tock with her ex-husband. Said there were weekly shootings/fights/arrests there.

Random information according to the RI bracket here are the overall picks for the March Madness winner

6 Memphis
5 Louisville
3 UNC
2 Pitt
2 Oklahoma
1 Syracuse
1 Connecticut
1 UCLA

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Many a murder case in PGC has its origins at Tick Tock.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 24, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"There you go with the facts again. Well how about this: It wasn't his fault.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

Don't shoot the messenger. I think Heyer's an "OK" tackle, just not great or that good. I remember Tuck manhandling Heyer that game, especially in the run game. Tuck's and all-pro DE, but that's what we can expect to see twice a year for the next 5-6 years.

I'd love for Heyer to take a leap and be the real deal. I simply wouldn't rely on it. Regardless, both starting tackles last year are over 30, both were injury-prone (all 3 including Heyer), and both can stand to have a replacement in place considering they'll both most likely have their contracts voided in 2 years.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if the skins are going to make any june 1st cuts? Jansen gets bashed so much he seems likely but i haven't heard anything.

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I can see the washington monument from my bedroom. I think I win there

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

DG28
I think JJ has a massive cap hit. It may be worth taking it now rather than waiting for it later. Or sucker sell him to Oaklen by sending them tape of JJ from 5 years ago

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Just like a penguin in bondage, boing....
(Name that tune, folks)

That's right, that's right - no liquor at the Tick Tock on Sundays - just late night general alcohol sales - made many a pointless trip there after midnight.

I can see the Ferris Wheel at the Houston Aquariam from my office window. For what it's worth.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe someone can take Vinny to Chili's for lunch before draft day. Recommend the glazed chicken to him:
CHILI'S
Crispy Sweet Chile Glazed Chicken Crispers
1,930 calories
112 g fat (17 g saturated)
4,190 mg sodium
Calorie equivalent: Like eating an entire medium Pizza Hut 12" pepperoni pizza!

He'd be recovering from bypass surgery at home on draft day and maybe Blache & Zorn could handle things.

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

That and GoGos.........

DG28 - No post June 1st cuts this year. There is no CAP next year.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

the soccer debate was kinda funny, wished i posted more on it... you can tell soccer heads really dig it, they have a religious approach to it.

keep waving that "insurmountable one nil" flag though, psps. "Exploded", psps? c'mon man, sometimes i think you like to argue for the sake of, dude.

"Exploded"? Where and when did this happen?

Ah, get the f outta here...

Why is Soccer Not Popular in the United States?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 24, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I can see the washington monument from my bedroom. I think I win there

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 4:04 PM

I can see the Washington Monument lying on my back in bed.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ferris wheel at an Aquarium?

Let me send both of those recommendations to Snyder for SixFlags.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I thought the no cap was still up in the air and was contingent on a couple things happening with the nflpa

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I can see the washington monument from my bedroom. I think I win there

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 4:04 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I see Nova Scotia from my office.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

to psps23

I think horton deserves a shot before we draft his replacement. Tuck beat alot of people last year and it was the first game of the year. our team still has needs we could platoon with him and jansen for one more year if we had to

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 4:11 PM

Yeah, but we are officially in the last CAPped league year where no rules are implemented. One is all the dead cap space can't be pushed into future years. Which includes post-June 1st cuts.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

4th - yes, and at about 10:00 AM or so, they start running it - around and around and around and around - it can be distracting - they have a whole carnival theme at the fish zoo here

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

'new' not 'no'

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"DG28 - No post June 1st cuts this year. There is no CAP next year.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009"

Any post June 1st release this year would automatically accelerate guaranteed bonuses against the salary cap. All the bonus not the pro-rated portion would immediately be applied to the cap. At least that is what I read.

My impression is that there is a "voluntary" salary cap with different sunset rules applied for the "owners" as opposed to something agreed to by the players. That is at least for 2010.

But I could be wrong. One of my requests to Jason: that he attempt to analyze cap implications relative to the "sunset" rules to potential trades and draft strategies.

Have to think they are interconnected to some extent.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I can see Air Force One and every other plane that lands at Andrews, because some how my house must be directly under a flight path the military uses......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"I can see Russia from my apartment bedroom window. I can also see London and Brazil Its a really tall building.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009"

If you live in a high rise in Rosalynn perhaps Great Falls you can indeed see Russia ... the tallest building in DC.
The Russian embassy higher than the National Cathedral ... much to the everlasting chagrin of our Intelligence agencies. One reason why the state department is held in such poor regard and lost its power base over the last few years. Boneheadedness.

Posted by: periculum | March 24, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"sadly, the sport will NEVER be popular on the scale of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR, or NHL. it's just something that soccer heads will have to accept"

It's already more popular than the NHL. No doubt about that. Tell me the last time you saw an NHL game on a non-local TV network? Trivia: which network holds the rights to show nationally televised NHL games?

Check the ESPN.com front page. How do they organize the links to the various sports at the top of the homepage?

"'Exploded'? Where and when did this happen?"

Headline: "ESPN 'amazed' at TV ratings World Cup draws"

My guess is you had never seen a televised soccer game before, say, 1994 (when this country hosted its 1 and only World Cup so far). Even with that I wouldn't doubt if you never even knew there were games going on. Now, I find it hard to believe soccer is that secluded from visibility.

Red, as I said, you don't have to be interested in it. But make no mistake, it is a popular sport.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Cudos to CH... He should perform even better this year with the acquisition of Haynesworth.

Posted by: 40acres | March 24, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

HORTON wasn't even picked by me. Since we were ready to close down and all our guys were already off the board, I let an intern named CASSERLY make the pick.

VINNIE C.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 24, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't want xtra draft picks, Vinny does not know what to do with them, as evidenced last year 1 out of 10 contributing, Also what is up with Rhinehardt not challenging Randy Thomas

Posted by: kbroab5 | March 25, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse