Horton hoping to get healthy and impress new coaching staff

Coach Mike Shanahan has promoted competition and a fresh start throughout the Washington Redskins' roster, a philosophy that would bode better for safety Chris Horton if he was fully healthy. Horton is recovering from a toe injury that forced him to miss half of the 2009 season. He's progressed, but still deals with the pain. After three days of working out, Horton has trouble walking up the hill from the Redskins' practice field to the locker rooms.

Horton said the surgery on his toe was successful. The strength is the only hurdle to full recovery. He'll be back to normal before training camp and has discussed his injury with the coaching staff.

"That's something the coaches understand," Horton said. "I had this kind of question, because I get down on myself not being able to be out there. You see guys out there making plays, and you don't want to be the forgotten guy. But you know what? Sometimes you got to take that backseat until you're healthy. And when you're ready to go, you go perform. And you let everyone know why you're here, why you'll make this team."

Horton was a surprise contributor as a seventh-round pick in 2008, and has started 15 of the 22 games in his career. As has been the case during Horton's entire career in Washington, he will compete with Reed Doughty for playing time at safety.

"I love that," Horton said of the competition. "Not only is it good for you, but it brings out the best for everyone else. Obviously, there's only so many spots. But if you continue to work, your spot might not be on this team, but from all the film that's out there, you can land somewhere else."

Horton's problem is that he must now prove himself to a new coach. His previous work on film will only go so far before what he's able to do on the practice field and in games takes precedent. And unless he's fully healthy, he will not be able to convince the current coaching staff as he did the former staff.

"It's always a little bit tough, but obviously I think what I've done speaks for itself, and when I'm healthy, I think my game will speak for itself," Horton said. "I can't perform if I'm not healthy. That's something everyone realizes. I won't put myself in a position where I'm not able to perform. When I'm ready, I'll perform. And you'll know I'm healthy."

By Zach Berman  |  May 31, 2010; 1:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TE Davis poised for bigger role
Next: Johnson ready to play -- on the field, and in video games

Comments

one and done, horton lost strating job b4 he got injured

Posted by: BMACattack | May 31, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this coaching staff is going to have a lot of patience with non-starters who struggle with coming back from minor injuries. Horton could be an odd man out, especially if the team decides to audition more safeties...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 31, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Terps storm back for title

Northwestern opens the game with a 6-0 run, but Maryland claws back by halftime and pulls ahead in the second half to capture the women's lacrosse national championship in Towson.

Congrats to the Terp babes on winning the lax championship. But shouldn't the reportage read "inched their way back"? Turtles don't have claws and they inch their way around.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | May 31, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this. Why is it that there have been a gazillion movies made about Superman, who has no remotely plausible way of flying around and there hasn't been one movie make about Fartman, whose superhuman flatulence is a very realistic and plausible basis for his powers of flight.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | May 31, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thanks to all of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country so that we can all get on here and b!tch about anything and everything without fear of imprisonement, execution, or any kind of retribution whatsoever except the retaliation of words from those who disagree.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 31, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Scamp and his drone people gang up on me and say what I say is nothing new..Who cares if it's nothing new, TYRRANY is nothing new, REBELLION is nothing new, you're just spin doctors..

Posted by: frak | May 31, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

You're wicked f***s , scamp and crew, that can get into explorer programs and wipe out saved commentary..Now, I know I'm dealing with NorthCom...

Posted by: frak | May 31, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | May 31, 2010 2:46 PM |

Rebellion is nothing new frak but you're no rebel. You just sit up here on a blog and spew nonsense at people who don't have the control. You want to be a rebel? Go on up there to your Capitol building and spout your tired ol' BS at the people making policy. You wouldn't do that though because it would actually require you to DO something and you're to scared for that. You're not about action, you're about meaningless words. I gave up the political rhetoric on here not because I don't care anymore, but because I realized that it makes no difference here. I am politically active where it counts, in my community, where I can possibly make a difference. That's more of a rebel than you'll ever be. I take action. All you are accomplishing here is making yourself look like an idiot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 31, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

scampbell-
Hey, Happy F***in Memorial Day to you, too, buddy..Plenty of my people have served, and my grandfather was a major engineer at Republic that built Thunderbolts (and was an All-America center at Syracuse and played at Forest Hills ,as well)..

In the words of thou Great Punke, Jimbo, "Thy Obdurate Rages Profit Thee Not. Now, I Must Away..."

Posted by: frak | May 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

scampbell-

Posted by: frak | May 31, 2010 3:05 PM

Well tell your grandad I said thanks. What the hell happened to you?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 31, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the censorship, Post...And , yeah, your boy scampbell has to get the last word...There's no free and fair speech here..out..

Posted by: frak | May 31, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

the reporting and comments (thus far) make it sound like Horton is verging on doghouse territory already. we weren't so pessimistic about him just a few weeks ago... hope that he heals up soon, although "trouble walking up the hill" sounds a lot different than "strength is the only hurdle to full recovery".

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 31, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'd love to see a survey of those who actually read more than the first two lines of any post, just for curiousities sake; I know some do, because there's endless b**ching about the content, but I'm just curious.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 31, 2010 12:02 AM |

Truth be told, I don't read any lines of a MistaMoe post. I do however confess to the gulity pleasure of reading all the lines of scampbell1975's posts out of morbid curiosity of how the mind of a cretin works.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | May 31, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

move along... new thread on LJ's home entertainment system.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 31, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Happy Cookout!

DAY OFF!

THANK YOU, AMERICA!

BEST PART:

short work week!

Now, go down some beers, people! That's what our soldiers were fighting to preserve: Our freedom to sit around in our own homes, cook whatever the heck we want, and drink as many beers as we see fit.

Not this "freedom of speech" garbage people toss around. I'm thinking they were fighting for beer downing rights.

Which is why all the military and ex-military in my family will be getting drunk today.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 31, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Look forward to seeing Horton and Lendy Holmes at training camp flying around making plays in the secondary.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 31, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Horton hears a Who?

Posted by: 44fx290 | June 1, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Fartez,

I hear you on the superhero fiasco!

Perhaps our receiving corps could use someone with that special explosive burst.....

HTTR