Horton Named NFC Defensive Player of Week

Rookie safety Chris Horton has been named the NFC defensive player of the week, the NFL announced this afternoon.

"I want to thank the National Football League for this tremendous honor," Horton said in a statement released by the league. "I feel truly blessed to have the game that I did last Sunday. My coaches prepared me and had enough confidence in me to give me this opportunity. I give the credit to my teammates who forced those turnovers and put me in a position to make plays."

Horton was sensational in his debut as a starter (he played briefly in a season-opening loss to the New York Giants), intercepting two passes, being credited with two solo tackles and recovering a fumble in Washington's 29-24 victory. His second interception of Saints quarterback Drew Brees in the fourth quarter all but sealed the Redskins' first victory of the season and the first win for rookie head coach Jim Zorn.

"He had a tremendous day out there," LaRon Landry said. "He did everything I thought he would do." Horton, selected in the seventh round from UCLA, is the first Redskins rookie with two interceptions and a fumble recovery in the same game since Brig Owens in 1966, according to the team's public relations office.

Shortly before kickoff against the Saints, safeties coach Steve Jackson pulled Horton aside and told him he would make his first NFL start because strong safety Reed Doughty had flu-like symptoms.

In the FedEx Field locker room, Jackson and Landry told Horton the game would be unlike what he had experienced in the preseason.

"Coach Jack and I told him, 'Look, the speed is totally different now. You've got to go out there and really ball,'" Landry recalled. "He said, 'Don't worry about this. I got this. I'm good. I'm good.' That's what he kept saying. You know what? He was right."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 16, 2008; 3:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks: "I Know I'm on the Line"
Next: Timing Is Everything Now

Comments

No panties!

Posted by: Chris Cooley's Junk | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Jinx!

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Well deserved. Has anybody heard from Reed Doughty about this?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

...starter on sunday!!!!...

Posted by: bobeaston | September 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Rook, Now sit your @$$ on the bench

Posted by: HortonHeardAWho | September 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where'd my locker go?

Posted by: Reed Doughty | September 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Horton. You deserve it.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

He did do an excellent job and I'm looking forward to watching him for a long time! Maybe he won't have to spend too much time on the bench.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

How do you not start him on Sunday?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Reed, some free career advice: refuse all free Hardee's burgers given to you from Horton.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The news here (for me) is Landry talking to media. Good vibe up there.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

4th, yeah u used it right he stole the Sh*t outta that dallas fan.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

How do you not start him on Sunday?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:52 PM

I agree, but he probably won't start just because Doughty is the incumbent. I would guess he would get a significant amount of PT though and should Reed falter, we should see Horton overtake Doughty for the starting SS spot.

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch would punk CP!

Posted by: Ashton Kutcher | September 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I bet Cooley could punt!!!

Posted by: Chris | September 16, 2008 3:46 PM

This job is only for Lorenzo to take from Brooks

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Very proud for horton, a lot of us have seen the SS spot as our D's weakness. From the first play that onside kick he recovered you could tell this guy was johnny on the spot. Well desserved on his behalf, that 3rd and 2 run stop by him may have been bigger then any of his turnovers. back to the bench for dought I hope, this kid just keeps getting it done.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

On a side note... here in Louisville...

Six Flags Sues Ride Manufacturer

Don't know if you all heard the story about the girl who had her feet severed by the Superman ride at Six Flags in KY.

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"You know what's coming. Picking up the hammer. Steal in the back of the head."

Nope, that can't be right.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 3:49 PM

No No No, NO.

You can only replace the word 'Hit' or 'Punch' with steal/stole.

Try again........

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

There are two type of people in the world. They come to a challenge and they either say. " I dunno if I can do it" or they say "I got this"

Horton got this.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Stealing myself in the nads for trying to engage the troll in a reasonable conversation."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

... I lived my High School years in MoCo (Silver Spring) ...

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM

Never heard it called MoCo either ... that's the Spanish word for booger.

Also, if Horton doesn't start at SS, maybe he can return punts.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Doughty needs to look for a new day job, like flipping burgers.

Posted by: R. McDonald | September 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

As far as Horton goes, how do you not start a guy that looks like the Predator!

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hell of a game for Horton, Kudos!!! Experience is not everything, but Attitude,
& Heart. I think, Horton has a bright future.

Posted by: George Costanza II | September 16, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Horton has to be starting......Alvin Walton 2.0 with much better coverage ability.

Love B-Mitch...and he did get jobbed by Snyder..always and forever...love Portis...love them fighting...seemed to Spark CP last week...keep it up...

Most of all I love good, real, no spin radio..sorry I missed it!!!!!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Do the rookies get to wear logos on their helmets in practice yet? If not, then AT LEAST Horton should now get to wear a logo.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Much much better Nate......

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

im so much better then Horton..you just don't know it yet

Posted by: Reed Doughty | September 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Steal me?

Posted by: Blackjack Player | September 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sween,

Think I saw a pic of Kelly with no logo still. May have been a old pic though

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Chris!

Re: starting on Sunday. Blache was asked about this after the game and he indicated Doughty will continue as starter but said he rotates people in and out and all his players get to play.

Posted by: Lisa | September 16, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with the sentiments of starting this guy. Doughty is a liability in coverage and he's not a great hitter......

Posted by: Keino | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

im availible..i can still play..but im going to need my number 26 jersey back

Posted by: Ifeayni Ohelate | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

If you were a Reed Doughty ringtone, what song would you be?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

JZ Show is on. Maybe andy Polly and JZ will be boxing on the next card......

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

BONG!!!

STOLE???

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Dallas, 2-0!!!

Posted by: Jerry Jones | September 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I noticed Horton in the preseason. I know everyone looks good in preseason, but what I noticed was that Horton was everywhere the ball was. Meaning if there was a platy by the offense, no matter where it was, #48 was there.

He is a ball hawk

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If you were a Reed Doughty ringtone, what song would you be?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM

I think he is deaf...he has it on vibrate

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

If you were a Reed Doughty ringtone, what song would you be?

Curl Up And Die
"I Lost My Job To A Machine"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if Malcolm(bubble boy)Kelly is on target to play this week, or will be in a full body cast by Sunday?

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

JZ:

Chris Horton will not start next week.

*Maps*

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm still better than this clown and I'm up in heaven.

Posted by: Sean Taylor | September 16, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

re: fake sean taylor post.....c'mon stay classy...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM

This made me LOL! Good one!

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

This was in Jasno's thread two threads ago -- nobody mentioned it much:

"The Cardinals have some talent up front and a group of linebackers that is plenty deep and largely overlooked, with converted ends manning the outside linebacker spots."

The Skins O-line seems like it got a little better, at least in pass protection, but good rotatable LBs is never a good sign ... means tricky blitzing opportunities, esp. if they have to counter-balance some weakness in their secondary.

Also, might be a good game to scout LBs ... Skins are not so deep at LB.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Cheyenne, thanks for assuming the mantle of "most recent guy to make a tasteless joke up here about Doughty's being hard of hearing."

I do appreciate it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry! F chrIS lArry!

Posted by: Chris Cooley's Willie | September 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"a tasteless joke up here about Doughty's being hard of hearing."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 4:17 PM

Why is it tasteless? It's factual.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Did I take your title?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

JZ:

I talked about CP's comments to the whole team. No one had a problem with them......

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

JZ:

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM

Translation: They stole his bama a$$ in the locker room, and it's all good now.

Posted by: Is that right? | September 16, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

bama? steal?

I love seeing the DMV slang being repped on the blog today.

Embrace the inner DMV brotha in you.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 16, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Steinbog linked this latest funny about Cooley's "accidental" posting: http://playingthefield.net/content/view/60/27/

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

4th, was JZ referring to CP's comment about having fantasy week in another system? or CP's comment about stealing BMitch?

Also, AOL news is reporting that Hochuli gets a bad mark on his "permanent record" for the blown call re: Cutler fumble. [insert line here about Chuck Norris toughness, but replace with Ed Houchuli.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Translation: They stole his bama a$$ in the locker room, and it's all good now.

Posted by: Is that right? | September 16, 2008 4:22 PM

Now you guys are getting it!

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If you were a Reed Doughty ringtone, what song would you be?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM

Something by the tone deaf rangers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised by Horton's play in the PSeason & in his first start. Remember, his D-Coordinator at UCLA was DeWayne Walker... the Skins former DB coach, so he was already familiar with the defense the Skins intended to run this season. Anyone think Cerrato knew that when he drafted him?

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Horton.

Though it seems like he's getting credit when other guys made the plays. Horton didn't cause the fumble, but he picked it up. He didn't deflect the ball into the air, he caught it after Smoot broke up the pass.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Creepy stufff der

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

JZ:

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM

Translation: They stole his bama a$$ in the locker room, and it's all good now.

Posted by: Is that right? | September 16, 2008 4:22 PM

LOL!

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You know, that's going to be hard to live up to - first week of his career - NFL Defensive Player of the Week - where does he go from here?

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Translation: They stole his bama a$$ in the locker room, and it's all good now.

Posted by: Is that right? | September 16, 2008 4:22 PM

But I thought CP went to the U, not bama.

Posted by: Still not getting it... | September 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

Read somewhere that Walker was shopping this cat to the skins.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Cerrato knew that when he drafted him?

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker wasn't on the phone with the Skins, esp. Blache, about Horton well before the draft. I think Horton's co-safety at UCLA might have been selected earlier than Horton. Will check and get back on that.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

HAHA HATERS

Posted by: Vinny C | September 16, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

- NFL Defensive Player of the Week - where does he go from here?

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 16, 2008 4:27 PM

Back to the bench.

Posted by: Trick question! | September 16, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Cerrato knew that when he drafted him?

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

-----

Um, NO

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

a bama is someone who is an a$$.

to compare "some" people use d0uchebag. "others" use bama.

you guys are hilarious today.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 16, 2008 4:27 PM

Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Sween: Comments to Post and JT Show from last week. JZ did this last week. But he talked and they listened and were not allowed to give their opinions.

So, actually, we don't know if they were ok or not.......

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

If you were a Reed Doughty ringtone, what
Something by the tone deaf rangers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

Nate

Does that mean I am off the hook

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher, Smoot and the DL should share in this with Horton. But hey at least the guy can catch. Let's hope the interceptions become contagious for the rest of the team.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 16, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I like Horton, but am all for letting him take time to become our no 1 SS. However by midseason I think he should be the starter

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

a bama is someone who is an a$$.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM

So if I "stole his bama a$$", then I'm hitting his a$$ a$$?

Posted by: I'm so white. So very white. | September 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If you were a Reed Doughty ringtone, what song would you be?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM

Either Mos Def or any artist from Def Jam.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I want my jersey back.

Posted by: Stephen Davis | September 16, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout a nice Hawaiian steal?

SURE!

Posted by: Irweezy | September 16, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Or the Hellen Keller All Star String and Brass Jamboree Ensemble

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

For the last 2 years how many balls have stayed on the ground for like 3 hours without us recovering...how many tips floated un-intercepted....how many INTs were dropped....now we gotta a potential ball hawk...and were gonna slight him???? Let the cat play!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to CH. Great game from him. And to giving credit where it goes:

"... I give the credit to my teammates who forced those turnovers and put me in a position to make plays."
Chris Horton

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

but really... anyone know where to listen to that interview?

Posted by: Irweezy | September 16, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

okay "so white" (lol), maybe not an a$$, but more like a jerk, or someone who just isn't cool at all.

when the term was first started it meant those who couldn't dress. now you can use it for anything.

if something f'd up happens to you, you could say: "man, thats some bama sh_t right there."

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Embrace the inner DMV brotha in you.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 16, 2008 4:22 PM

This isn't just local, it's cultural (and growing to other cultures with the internet, TV, music, etc...)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Never mind on the UCLA FS. Was a guy named Dennis Keyes. Undrafted but tried out for Arizona, but didn't make the roster.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Chris Horton

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 4:36 PM

Translation: I'm 'bout to up and take yo' job and get paid, Reed.

Posted by: Translation Guy | September 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

CL - exactly what I said Sunday - in the last 2 years we have gotten 0 breaks when it came to turnovers - Boswell even bet that the 2006 season was going to break well for the Redskins because the first half had so few turnovers - and statistically, the was impossible to keep going - so, if this is a preview of good things to come, I'm all for it.

Feel free to discuss the concept of luck being the residue of design

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 16, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 16, 2008 4:37 PM

Sports-guru is a bama a$$ mofo?
{Is mofo still in the lingo?}

Posted by: I'm so white. So very white. | September 16, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Funny story on the Skins site blog about Randy Thomas goofing on Chris Horton:

From the time stamp on the blog entry, Chris Horton might not yet even know that Thomas goofed on him.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE don't interpret this as a shot at the FO--oh, what the hell, go ahead--but I think Zorn wanted to keep Frostie.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 2:54 PM

Cork, This isn't what Zorn and Danny Smith told the press. They said Brooks was their choice.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 16, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I eat poop.

Posted by: Reed D. | September 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Horton Hatches An Defensive Player of the Week - well done.

This is my first moment on RI in over a day so I have to let this out.

I HATE THE COWPADDIES! I was actually outloud cheering for Philly last night and I HATE PHILLY! but man I just hate hate hate hate Dallas. Even with all the firepower of the game and the lead switching hands and excitement blah blah blah I was just frothing up into full blown Dallas week hatred and I have a week to go but here goes:
I hate Romo and his stupid backwards baseball cap and stupid chin bandage. I hate TO and his stupid ego. I hate stupid Texas Stadium. I hate the stupid new stadium. I hate Dallas fans and their stupid star painted faces. I hate the stupid uniforms. I hate the stupid star. I hate the stupid cowboy mastcot. I hate stupid Jerry Jones. I HATE STUPID DALLAS!!

phew okay I feel better now

Posted by: sfskin | September 16, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Boo @ 4:53pm post

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? Is there a web chat going on? Or did someone just yell "fart" in a crowded phone booth?

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they "yelled", I think they "did"

Posted by: Who farted? This phone booth stinks. | September 16, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

sfskin - tru burgundy & gold!

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JinxMan | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

Of course he did... Walker made the recommendation to Blatche -- who was a voting member in the draft war room -- and the Skins selected Horton with their final 7th round pick (4th from last). They still needed a backup SS and didn't pick up Stuart Schweigert until June 2nd...

Posted by: Siris | September 16, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Horton as Rookie of the Week on the NFL.com site.

Polling open now!

Posted by: skinsfaninsanfran | September 16, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

If you missed the CP-BMitch tiff on 980 am they are about to play it again. www.espn980.com

Posted by: LH | September 16, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Skins/Saints will be re-run on NFL Replay on NFL Network?

The schedule on the NFL Network site still doesn't say which game is being run as the fourth replayed game, as you can see here (scroll down to 9:30 PM):

Those jerks better not re-run Dalla$$/Philthy in that slot. It was a nationally televised game, and if you missed it, TS.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 16, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Horton certainly looked better than Doughty -- this week -- I mean how many times has Doughty won the player of the week honor? That said, the coaches will review the tape and make a determination on the quality of Horton's play. We all remember the fumble recovery and interceptions -- all excellent plays -- but did he do the little things that Doughty does well (e.g. tackle and be in the proper position) that make the defense better?

It's pretty apparent that Horton has an excellent shot to be the Skins starting SS in the future. Although he may require a little more experience before the coaches are confident in his abilities to excel in all the defensive packages...

Posted by: Siris | September 16, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of packages.....

Posted by: Chris Cooley | September 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear how Tony was sitting on Jerry Jones' lap and was just jocking the Cowboy's last night during the game?

Posted by: F Tony! | September 16, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Boys have a penis.

Girls have a vagina.

Posted by: Kid from Kindergarten Cop | September 16, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

On Cooley's blog one of the responders said this: "Did I miss something? There was a penis posted on the website all day yesterday?
So who posted the picture of Dan Snyder anyway?"

That is hilarious

Posted by: Karen | September 16, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey who wants to feel old? Me me me!!!!

Gus Ferrotte, who might be named starter for Vikes soon, is a 15 YEAR VET!!!!!!

Gus has been a journeymen, no doubt, but 15 years in the NFL is no joke. I am sure his family is financially secure, no small thing in todays economy!

I mean when yoou compare to Shuler, which he will forever be, he is a HOFer...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm about to steal that bama in his face.

Posted by: Nickels | September 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Reading the earlier comments regarding slang was hilarious. Age is not the reason some guys didn't know the slang. It was cultural. I'm more than 40 and "steal" - to punch someone in the face, most often while the person is not on guard for it - was a part of the lexicon when I was a kid. "Bama" has been as long as I can remember. It used to only be applied to a person who was not hip, especially in terms of dress, but is now used to describe any male person in any circumstance.
But you all weren't nearly as funny as Czabe and Andy Polley who stopped the tape a couple of times because they did not understand some of the street vernacular Portis was spittin'.

Posted by: LH | September 16, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Horton. But before we begin the HOF ceremonies for him, let's see if he can do a few other things besides be in the right place at the right time...little things like tackle and cover and play within the D scheme. But I do have to admit that it was nice to see a secondary player grab and catch a ball. Perhaps he could help us out at wide receiver?

Posted by: Dave! | September 16, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I would slap the toothpaste out of Dr. Do Itch Big's Mouth.

Posted by: B. Mitch | September 16, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

this is great and all, but where dem dirty hoes at?

Posted by: cc | September 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"Gus has been a journeymen, no doubt, but 15 years in the NFL is no joke."

My less than knowledgable about football wife refers to Gus as "that idiot that knocked himself out" (and then she laughs) everytime his name comes up, which seems to happen once every couple of years. It continues to amaze me that she remembers him/that. I'll have to pass on the tidbit that he might be starting to her...

Posted by: Dave! | September 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Dave! I followed his career and I still think of him that way....one of the worst moments in Skins history...and who knows...he doesnt do that, we might win that tie game, which means playoffs..Gus develops....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

You all know what helped me perform so well on Sunday?

WEED.

Puffing on the wacky-tobacky every day is what made me play at such a high level.

Puff, Puff, Give.

Posted by: C. Horton | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey there Dave!
Just wonderin' what you had for lunch today. no particular reason.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

You all know what helped me perform so well on Sunday?

WEED.

Puff, Puff, Give.

Posted by: C. Horton | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

You all know what helped me perform so well on Sunday?

WEED.

Puff, Puff, Give.

Posted by: C. Horton | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey there Dave!
Just wonderin' what you had for lunch today. no particular reason.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey there Dave!
Just wonderin' what you had for lunch today. no particular reason.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey what's with denigrating Horton for being able to catch a tipped ball. He can CATCH THE DAMNED BALL which is what I've been yelling at Smootie and Senor Carlos seems like forever.

Now, they don't have to catch it. Just tip the mutha up and Chris "Whodat" Horton will do it for you. He's where he's supposed to be, dammit.

I still remember the time LaVar decided to play the defense as called and got hit right in the stomach with the football. To his credit he caught it. Everybody on the field was just gobsmacked, especially the quaterback who expected LaVar to be stuck like glue to his right tackle.

By the way, I hate Dallas. Dallas Sucks. Jerry Jones is a face-lifted lizard-lipped creep who's probably got Cooley's picture stuck up on his bathroom wall. Their coach is a Pillsbury Doughboy with no more brains than a biscuit. T.O. is a crybaby who gets down on his knees in thanks every Sunday because #21 is not waiting for him to come across the middle. Dude looked like T. Rex not T.O. against Taylor.

I'd like to bang Tony Romo's girlfriend.

Posted by: DDS | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to bang Tony Romo's girlfriend.

Posted by: DDS | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to bang Tony Romo's girlfriend.

Posted by: DDS | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to bang Tony Romo's girlfriend.

Posted by: DDS | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

So thanks to that bonehead move by DeSean Jackson, FanHouse did an article on The Dumbest Football Play in NFL History. And sure enough, there's Gus Frerotte's play on the list.

What timing...

Gus Frerotte -- 1997, Washington vs. NY Giants -- Ways to celebrate that are acceptable: high-fives, spiking the ball (after you get in the end zone), the Mile Hile Salute, the Dirty Bird or even something Terrell Owens comes up with. Not a proper way to celebrate, ramming your head into a wall after you score on a one-yard run. Frerotte, after scoring a touchdown to tie the game 7-7 with the Giants, went and rammed his head into a padded wall to celebrate. But behind the pad? Straight cement. Frerotte had to leave the game and get X-rays on his sprained neck, which came back negative.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

NFL Defensive Player of the Week - where does he go from here?

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 16, 2008 4:27 PM

Let's hope the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Yep the Gus Ferotte Head Banger Ball . . .ugh

DeSean Jackson had himself a similar moment last night. Wow was that the most boneheaded thing I've seen since . . .well since Gus. Someone needed to take him into Jason Taylor's little room and give him a 'talking to'
Good thing Philly has the least talked about but probably best RB in the league in Westbrook.

Posted by: sfskin | September 16, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Movable type is a bama!

Posted by: not quite as white as earlier! | September 16, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

LOL I had totally forgotten about Lett's idiocy against the Bills. LMAO that was funny.
This is what you get for living in an ESPN Highlight Reel world.

Posted by: sfskin | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone wants to hear it:

PORTIS, MITCHELL TURN UP THE HEAT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2008, 5:42 p.m. EDT

Redskins running back Clinton Portis and former Redskins running back Brian Mitchell got into a verbal brouhaha on Tuesday during The John Thompson Show on ESPN 980.

Portis doesn’t appreciate criticism from Mitchell, specifically in reference to comments from Portis last week during which he mused about playing for another team.

The audio is right here.

Portis clearly was irritated with Mitchell. At times, Portis rambled on and on, with Mitchell periodically throwing a jab at Portis, which would only get him even more whipped up.

“Can I interrupt, gentlemen?” Coach Thompson finally said, before urging Portis and Mitchell to calm down.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

This is my first moment on RI in over a day so I have to let this out.

phew okay I feel better now

Posted by: sfskin | September 16, 2008 5:05 PM

I feel you, dude. I slapped myself in the face on one play after I caught myself encouraging McNabb to scramble for the first down and get out of bounds. It's amazing how much I hate Dallas, it's screwing me up. Sometimes I think I get more pleasure from Dallas losing than I do from the Skins winning...I'm messed up.

Anyways, I also decided that I hate Tony Kornheiser on MNF. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt b/c I like his columns and used to listen to him with Andy Pollin on 980. But he is ATROCIOUS. He's a circus sideshow and he always gets really excited about the lame crap that he says. I seriously turned off the volume because of him.

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Watched the replay of last night's game. WOW what a contest! Two marquee competitiors duking it out. Was awesome to see such marvellous duel between.......

two Aussie Punters!

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

two Aussie Punters!

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

This is my first moment on RI in over a day so I have to let this out.

phew okay I feel better now

Posted by: sfskin | September 16, 2008 5:05 PM

I think I'm in love

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

the Jim Marshall run the wrong way ... anyone know who fumbled that ball?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Totally with you SF...!

(we need an aussie punter)

Posted by: stumped | September 16, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

phew okay I feel better now

Posted by: sfskin | September 16, 2008 5:05 PM

I feel you, dude.

I don't think dude is quite the right word but you gotta love a girl who hates Dallas! Cuz if I hear about how cute Tony Romo is again I'm just gonna hurl.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

NYJ just cut Aussie (And former Geelong Cat) Ben Graham.

Although I think his performance warranted it.

I guess it at least means there are guys out there to look at.

But I'm for sticking with Brooks for a while longer.

I'm all over the place with this post!

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

On http://theredskinsblog.com/ there is a pic of Colt wearing quite possibly the baggiest shorts ever.He is the anti-Chris. CC that is...

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The Jets have announced this evening that punter Ben Graham has been waived.

It was a difficult ending to a rough start to the season for the Thunder from Down Under. In the home opener against New England on Sunday, Graham had one of the most ineffective days in his fourth season as the Jets punter. His four punts netted 27.3 yards and the Patriots' ensuing drives after all four kicks started on the Jets 48 or deeper into plus territory.

Graham's story has been an inspiring one. Originally scouted while he was still starring for the Geelong Cats in the Australian Football League in 1997 by then-Jets assistant coach Eric Mangini, he postponed exploring opportunities in the NFL until 2005, when he got an offer to try out for the Jets' punting job.

He won the job at the age of 31, brought his family with him from Geelong to Long Island, and settled in for three seasons as the Green & White's often magical punter, delivering his "drop punts," end-over-end kicks that often bounced straight in the air and were downed by the Jets' coverage team. Last season was his best in punts downed inside the opponents' 10-yard line (9) and inside the five (6).

Graham's best season was probably 2006, when he was reunited with Mangini, who took over as the team's head coach, and had career highs in gross average (44.2) and inside-the-20 kicks (26).

His gross was consistently around 43.7 yards, but his net dropped to a career-low 36.6 last season, and his hang time unofficially was also the shortest of his career. This season, despite seeming to have gotten new life in his leg — he drilled an 86-yarder in the Green & White Practice at Hofstra Stadium a month ago. But his hangtime suffered on six punts at Miami and then came the Patriots game.

The team did not have any immediate announcements on who will replace Graham as punter.

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN Insider -

Redskins 29, Saints 24
Washington
1. Washington showed good balance on offense with a patient ground attack and a high-percentage, short passing game. Redskins QB Jason Campbell has became more comfortable in the pocket and delivered the ball to all levels as the game progressed. His vision and decision-making was excellent and helped give the Redskins their first victory of the 2008 season.
2. The Redskins' defense appeared to match up with the Saints' offensive speed and quickness much better than it did with the Giants' power in Week 1. Clearly defensive coordinator Greg Blache focused on taking RB Reggie Bush out of the game by always assigning an extra defender to him. Washington's speed and quickness was evident in its pursuit most of the afternoon and the Redskins' front four put pressure on QB Drew Brees often out of their base 4-3 scheme.

New Orleans
1. The Saints were unable to get Bush the ball downfield and were frustrated most of the contest. Bush got his touches on off-tackle and perimeter run plays as well as short crossing patterns and dump offs, but was unable to turn them into big plays. As a result, Brees appeared to force the ball to Bush on more than one occasion, but was unable to move the chains.
2. The Saints played a bend-but-don't-break defensive approach with vanilla looks early in the contest. Washington moved the ball effectively with a controlled, short passing game versus the Saints' base two-deep coverage. As the game progressed, Campbell gained more confidence, stayed in the pocket to distribute the ball effectively and picked apart the Saints' zone coverages.

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Kost, there is no way that ESPN wrote that piece on the Redskins. That almost sounded like praise!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I know, even the part when they're meant to talk about the Saints, they talk about how good the Skins were!

Posted by: kost52 | September 16, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

First WaPo, now ESPN drinking the Kool-aid? Someone better make this bandwagon bigger!

I was watching NFL Live on ESPN and heard positive stuff about the Skins, even from the mouth of Golic.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't want to get props...under the radio

Posted by: chris larry | September 16, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

radar

Posted by: chris larry | September 16, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

is this thing on?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I heard the Clinton Portis interview on the radio today with B-Mitch. I thought B-Mitch handled himself well, although I have not always been a fan of B-Mitch the analyst. I think his whole "schtick" is I'm gonna keep it real. This is obviously a conversation they should have had off the air. Portis gives you reason to question him. He plays well but he's a diva who through his team under the bus...no matter how much Clinton tries to spin it.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 16, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of Jasno, but nice article he did on Zorn for tomorrow. Easy to see why he likes Zorn. Hope Zorn is given a real chance to succeed here regardless of our record this year.

"I want to win for many reasons," Zorn said. "For the franchise, for the Washington Redskins nation. I don't take that lightly at all. My intensity level to win, I couldn't muster any more intensity towards that. So I don't think anybody ever has to worry about how I view winning just because I'm upfront and honest.

"But the second thing with that is I want to have fun. Wouldn't it be a pain for [the media] if you had to try to grind out of me what you're looking for for a story? That's no fun every day. Or me being dishonest and you guys have to try to go around me? If I can't answer a certain question, then I may say that I just can't answer that. But I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes."

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

How about Andy Pollin vs. Every Caps fan. He's certainly said many god-awful things about us over the years.

Posted by: FS | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

I can arrange Andy to fight both of you.

Posted by: Andy Pollin's Mgr. | September 16, 2008 4:32 PM

Posted by: From Bog's Blog | September 16, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if I can appropriately explain "step to you" to the white/old guy, but I'll just say that the proper reaction would be to "raise up" and then perhaps remove your shirt and spin it over your head like a helicopter.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | September 16, 2008 5:09 PM

Posted by: Another From Bog's Blog | September 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Lolz, I love seeing the portly Jasno in his soccer shirt trying to get Zorn's attention in this pic. Good times: http://theredskinsblog.com/2008/09/15/day-after-the-game-zorn-press-conference-915/

Posted by: TDawg | September 16, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the movie Michael Clayton (again)...man, that is a great flick.

Listened to the Portis and B-mitch interview, just two emotional guys talking over each other. Not a big deal.

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 7:41 PM

And what's up with his left arm? Is Colt a little teapot short and stout?

Posted by: SMACK | September 16, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Horton!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 16, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Redskins 27
Cardinals 21

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 16, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

sweaty ballsack

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Nut Brown Ale in Hand
From Samuel Smith's Brewery
Savoring Skins Win

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 17, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Zona’s Cardinals,
Visit Redskins Park Sunday…
To Taste First Defeat!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 17, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

King Card on RI
His Cardinals Come To Town
What? Now 2 and 1

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 17, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Under the Radar,
Redskins can no longer be,
By winning next three.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 17, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

One game at a time
Next up is Arizona
Take care of business.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 17, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Just catching up.....

LH - I didn't know you were over 40......

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Looking past the Cards
Is impossible to do,
After these four beers.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 17, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

B. Mitch would steal CP in his mouf.

B. Mitch by (PRD) Punt Returner Destruction.

Posted by: Momma Mitch | September 17, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

There would be two hits - Portis' right foot hits his left foot, and Portis' chin would hit the ground.

Posted by: B. Mitch Rules | September 17, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

I spit in Chia Pet's face.

He's a fat bald guy whose wife is cheating on him and is miserable and takes it out on Jason Campbell.

Dude! I'm the one banging your wife! In your bed.

F CHIA PET!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Chia Pet is a moron!

I'm banging your wife you fat loser.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Cat got your tounge you dirt bag?

F Chia Pet!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

RACIST D BAG!

WHITE POWER.

Won't be happy until the Redskins lose.

GO RAVENS!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

POST ON THE BLOG AGAIN YOU P*SSY!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

B-mitch is too old to step to CP. CP would go to back of b-mitch's head if he tried to approach and would probably get mashed out.

I mean in his day b-mitch did his thing, but all that noise he was spiting out was because he was in the studio and CP was on the phone. I'd bet it'll be a week or two before he shows his face at Redskins park too.

Posted by: B-mitch b-iotch | September 17, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

CP better watch where he steps, or B Mitch will lay CP the F out. B Mitch takes it standing and on the ground.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

I spit in Chia Pet's face.

Dude! I'm the one banging your wife! In your bed.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:14 AM

You've got to wonder about some no-name slug who's "banging" the wife of a "fat old bald guy." How desirable could she be? Probably a step up for the anonymous hater.

Come back and get a name when you're banging Chris Cooley's wife, okay?

Posted by: d-bag | September 17, 2008 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Cooley made Drudge- a little late -but he made it.

NFL Player Posts Photo Of His Genitals on Website...

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Brooks better than Frost
Derrick's fingers give Lions two
Brooks hold minus three

Posted by: bangkokben | September 17, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

So I'm hoping Horton gets some playing time against Zona, Warner is known for throwing interceptions.

Posted by: Veretax | September 17, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Horton.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 4:26 PM

Al,

Maybe it would have been better, if he would of let those tip balls hit the ground, like they have done so many times in the past.

You can turn any thing into a negative, I guess because he was a draft pick and we know how much you hate Cerrato, you just can not give the guy any credit.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave! | September 16, 2008 5:51 PM

Dave,

I think he did do other things he shut down Shokey when he was covering him, and Doughty could not cover me so there is no comparison there. He also made a great tackle on a 3 and 2 that stopped a drive. I did not here Blache say anything about the kid playing outside the scheme.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 2:54 PM

This has only been talked about 100 times, Zorn and Smith wanted to keep Brooks, but I guess no one over there is telling the truth because they are so evil. I am sure they would keep draft picks just to prove a point becasue they do not care about winning.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

I think the point is that before Horton becomes the next Ronnie Lott, Ken Houston, or Lemar Parrish he's got to play. HOWEVA, if Blache thinks flu-bug is better than I'm going to go with that. Don't get me wrong so far, I like what I see.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 17, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Bang,

I am with you I want to see the kid play alot more, I just think he is better then Doughty now so if he is better then what you have play him.

Is he the next Ronnie Lot, time will tell but what he is now is a guy who plays hard and flies to the ball, we need that on this defense.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Where is the 'real' redskin insider? Puh-leaze. The big story has not been addressed - which RI blogger was near Reed Doughty's food supply? Inquiring minds want to know. Flu-bug, 24 hour virus, or food poisoning? This is the highest profile food poisoning since that whole british-russian spy thing.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 17, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I think the coaches have to be seeing this same kind of stuff out of horton in practice. Ever since the ffirst perseason game he recovers on on side kick in the first second hes on an NFl field then has a sack on a defensive tackle sized QB. If its this evident that hes a baller in the games were seeing then he has to be doing it in fron t of the coaches. I imagine they know how imporatnt this kid can be swarming to the ball. Even if he dosent start this game, which he should he will see condsiderable time in rotation. bad time for reed to get sick if Horton can produce anything close to what he did the last game doughtys back to backup.

Posted by: Stu | September 17, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Reed is a superb back-up - okay starter. The reason he get's so much hate here is because is the weakest link. Horton would still be the weakest link of the defense and everyone who wants to annoint him now will turn on him as soon as he makes a mistake.

I hate the fact that my expectations have changed from - let's just see some improvement - to - Arizona is a must win with road games at Dallas and Philly following. Crummy schedule.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 17, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I think people will and should give Horton the time he or anyone would need to adjust into the NFL as a rookie. Doughty is not a starter, backup ill give him that he is an intelligent player. The only reason he was starting was due to one iof the greatest loses the NFL has seen. he played admirable, not great he wasnt a star preformer but nobody noticed his defeciencies because everybodys eyes were still blurry. Once he was given the keys told he was the guy it was clear that he is not capable of doing it. Horton will have faliures this year but he will adjust. Look at his stats right now in limited playing time, regular full season starter would be happy with gettting that many turnovers in a year.

Posted by: Stu | September 17, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

bang,

I would rather go through some growing pains with a rookie who could be our SS for the next 10 years. Then continue to have those same pains with a guy who should be a backup.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

me at 8:22

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

NFL safeties from Lousiana:

Laran Landry
Dawan Landry
Chris Horton
Ryan Clark
others?

Posted by: bangkokben | September 17, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Good morning...and beep beep.

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

I go with the coach's decision. Last I checked Doughty didn't lose any games for us. Having said that I'd be surprised if he's still the starter at the end of the season.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 17, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Redskin Brethren,I need your input on this one:I found myself in a heated debate with another skins fan (its amazing to me that I spend more time arguing with other skins fans about OUR players than I do with fans of other teams)but anyway,the conversation went like this:
HIM:Man we better be on point or were gonna get smoked in Dal and Phila.
ME:True,but when you have an All-Pro safety a lot of that stuff that was open deep down the middle wont be there.
HIM:We dont have an AP safety so whats your point?
ME:Yes we do,Laron was an alternate last year(in his rookie season I might add.)
HIM:Alternates aren't considered AP's,get real.
ME:Uh alts are considered to be AP's or they wouldn't name them,they would just let any safety show up in case somebody else couldn't play.
HIM:Man,Laron is suspect and he is going to be exposed.
ME:Name one safety in the NFC you would take over him?
HIM:Brian Dawkins,I would even take Mike Brown over him.
ME:WTF!!!Man listen there are only 3 safety's in the NFL I would take over Dirty,SANDERS,POLUMALO AND A HEALTHY REED,THATS IT,LIST CLOSED!!
Now Brethren help me out here,am I looking at LL with Burgandy and Gold colored glasses,or is there another safety other than the 3 I named that is better than him?Your thoughts.

Posted by: dawglbs | September 17, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

NFL safeties from Lousiana:

Laran Landry
Dawan Landry
Chris Horton
Ryan Clark
others?
____

Reed is also from there.

Posted by: Safeties are us. | September 17, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse