How does the season look now?

By Washington Post editors  | October 4, 2010; 10:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall, Carlos Rogers limit Eagles' deep threats
Next: Report: Redskins shopping WR Devin Thomas

Comments

That's 6 penalties in 4 games,not 6 in 2 games,but don't let FACTS get in the way of yours and red's OPINION...

Posted by: jumbo5383

Well, don't let what I actually SAID get in your way of trying to validate your lame ass argument.

I said "In two starts". That means STARTS, you know that cool graphic they show at the beginning of the game with the STARTERS faces on it?

So it stands: SIX penalties in TWO starts.

And just in case you didn't know. While he maybe listed as playing in four games, those are the games that he was active. He may have not or may have got on the field in the first two games... maybe even played a little bit on the line, but he did not START. And that was the point I was making, genius. SIX penalties in TWO starts is inexcusable. Accept it and deal with it!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

How does the season look now?

Sh*t hasn't changed that much to start making my hotel reservations in Dallas.

Bring on the "Stop pissing in the kool-aid, why don't you root for another team?" overly optimistic [delusional] fans...

7-9, 8-8. Wouldn't be surprised at 6-10 or 9-7 either.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Heyer may be looking for a job soon. He is a good athlete and solid in run blocking, but he continues to make crucial mistakes at huge times. His holding on 1st and goal from the 3 probably cost us a TD instead of a FG, which almost cost us the game. And you can easily make the case that he cost us the Houston game with a hold that took away a big first down in OT. If he weren't a Terp, he'd already be dead to me; as it is, he's getting close. Question is- is he dead to the Shanahans? I'd be surprised if they're not combing the waiver wire for another option.

I really hope Silverback is ready to go this week...

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Someone tell Carlos Rogers to see an eye doctor TODAY!!!!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 4, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Heyer may be looking for a job soon."

Why?

He's a back-up OT with playing experience and he's cheap.

Who would you replace him with?

I think that would be foolish considering there is NO depth on our OL. He's going to make mistakes but one or two penalties do not over-ride the gains.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 4, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Now lets see, I wonder how many times ih8dallas voted for more than 9-10 wins...I love optimism, but this is the same team we were all down on last week, albeit with a much improved commitment to run. 7-9...I hope it's more, but 7-9

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks > Gilbert Godfrey

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

For once, I would like to see them go four wides and the shotgun. If you line up Banks, Armstrong, Moss, Galloway and make Sellers the sole back, you could probably allow McNabb to make a few artillery style lobs down field.
-------------------
Makes perfect sense to take out CP who is probably the best blocking RB in the game for Sellers who consistently whiffs on blocks.

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------
Also, I cant remember the last time we took so many shots deep. We've had more 20+ yard plays in the first 4 games then we've had since 91.

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"How does the season look now?"

Right on course for the 8-8 record I predicted.

And better than this corny poll...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

My bad for the double posts. Your tax dollars were wasted in this billion dollar investment the Navy made called the Navy and Marine Corps Internet.

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

There was something else I liked about the game yesterday other than the hard-hitting play from the Redskins. It was the fact that they didn't appear to be overly celebrating after they made a play. Also, they didn't commit any personal-foul penalties. I like to see these things as they indicate, to me at least, the Redskins are becoming a more disciplined team.

This team will probably give pause to any team they play this year. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 4, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

gonna play it safe n vote for 2

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Heyer blows but you keep him on the team this year, to much starter experience to jettison mid-year.

Oh and recalibrating your w/l outlook afer each game is straight Tart!

predicting W/L multiple games out = power rankings

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Heyer as the primary backup at tackle is a major problem for the Skins. Every game he commits penalties that are just inexcusable. I can't remember a game when he hasn't had a false start, and he seems to get holding calls more often than any other lineman on our time.

The sad thing is, these penalties are not his biggest problem. If you watch the way Heyer lines up, you can tell if the skins are going to run or pass just by looking at Heyer's feet. If it is a pass play, Heyer's outside foot will be placed much further back than where he places his foot on a running play. If I can see this on my TV, then surely defenses have noticed it in their film study. The sooner we can find a replacement for Heyer, the better!

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 4, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

We are in rebuild mode.....

That doesn't mean we can't go to the SB though....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I really hope Silverback is ready to go this week...

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

That holding penalty doesn't count because it wasn't during his 2 starts...i'm just saying.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 4, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

You didn't hear Trent Cole's name during the game against a backup LT is all that matters. Heyer's penalties didn't affect the game more or less compared with every other penalty/decision/injury that happened related to the game. We won with our back up LT playing. You couldn't say that last year......

Posted by: 4thFloor

No, I didn't hear Trent Cole's name, 4th. But I did hear Heyer's number called yesterday by the ref three times.

LMG puts it in detail: "His holding on 1st and goal from the 3 probably cost us a TD instead of a FG, which almost cost us the game. And you can easily make the case that he cost us the Houston game with a hold that took away a big first down in OT."

There isn't ever a good time for penalties, but you know of course they're going to happen. But there are times when it's hard enough to score, and those are the times when you don't draw penalties to make it harder on yourself.

So at what point does he in fact cost the 'Skins a game? When they're in playoff contention? No, I think I've seen all I've needed to from Heyer. I know he's a local guy and I usually always make exceptions for the local ballers, but... *while throwing putter* "This guy SUCKS!"

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander rings bells.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Haven't had a chance to comment on the game, so here are a few of my thoughts:

*Haynesworth played like an absolute monster. Easily the best player on the field for the Redskins. This is the man we expected for $100 million. Barely missed a sack on Kolb, would have had a sack on Vick if not for a hold, regularly collapsed the pocket on minimum rushes, batted down passes, he did it all.

*Portis + Torain. These guys were warriors. That's the way Portis needs to play every week. It's obvious he still has "it," he just needs to keep bringing it like he did this week on a daily basis. I know he got a few knocks, but that comes with the territory. And Torain looks like a keeper. Reminds me of what we've seen from Arian Foster out of Houston. Big and physical on most carries, shifty when he needs it, and just bruising. Loved the running game yesterday.

*Loved seeing Haslett mix it up. Rather than forcing the blitz, he sat back and forced McCoy to win the game alone. That wasn't happening yesterday.

*Told you Banks was going to be worth it in the return game.

*Heyer played the best game of his professional career yesterday. Yes he still had a few idiotic penalties, but he was a beast in the run game and held his own in protection against a dominant rusher. I'll take that out of a backup every week.

*McNabb's inaccuracy is not worrisome, IMO. It was crazy windy, wet, and cold out there. He made the plays when we needed it (Cooley TD and Armstrong bomb). The second half was ugly, though.

*The Skins played harder and more physical in general than the Eagles. Torain running over Mikell, LoZo destroying whoever it was on the ensuing return, Rodgers destroying a Philly receiver in the flat causing a fumble, Moore and Hall knocking Vick out of the game, Sellers knocking Samuel out of the game, etc.

Someone posted that the Skins were lucky Vick got knocked out. That wasn't luck. That was a result of the Skins being a harder team than the Eagles all game long. Very reminiscent of the current Ravens or Steelers, or old school NFC East hit-em-in-the-mouth style of play. That's very much a strategy, not a measure of luck.

*Kareem Moore is a keeper at FS. 2 turnovers forced in 2 games. And he put the hit on Vick in the open field. LoZo, Moore, and Haynesworth on the field make a big difference in this defense.

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

If we had any other option Heyer wouldn't be playing but personally, I hope they cut him and grab somebody off of a great oline team's practice squad. His "holding" penalty on the 3, which was actually a fall down way behind the play and reach out and trip a guy who had no chance of being involved in the play, and his false start when everyone in the stadium knew we were running the ball and snapping it with 1 second on the play clock were absolutely idiotic, moronic, stupidly pitiful plays. Olinemen are supposed to be the smart big guys, he's showing the value of that Maryland education......

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2010 11:06 AM

Kwame Brown has a lot of starting experience too.

George W. Bush has a lot of experience as President.

Gilbert Godfried has a lot of experience as an actor.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh and Broownwood a Jansen reference atleast you're funny!!!

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 4, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

JReid on the radio being Debbie Downer. Par for the course.

We have a long way to go, and no one is booking super bowl reservations just yet, but we came out and thugged Philly, in Philly. Be pleased for once. Now get to work for next week.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Higher Education is a for profit biz. and largely a sham at that. Duke, UMD, UCLA whateves...

Millions of Americans holding degrees and experiencing buyer's remorse.

A college degree just ain't jack, unless you're specializing in a high paying, job secure field of study.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm not as down on Heyer as some up here (I was screaming at my TV, though), but I don't give him as much credit on the success running left either. I saw Cooley motion to the left a ton on run and pass downs to help out.

Heyer is very average and makes stupid mental errors. But who else are you going to put in midseason? Here's hoping for that FA bumper crop 2011.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Someone tell Carlos Rogers to see an eye doctor TODAY!!!!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 4, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he just needs bifocals! He seems to see the ball well enough to make a play on it, just can't seem to pull it in when it gets a couple feet in front of him.

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Tech nerds at work blocked the freakin poll...would someone please vote for me...9 wins regular season...plus one playoff win.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

redDMV

"7-9, 8-8. Wouldn't be surprised at 6-10 or 9-7 either."

I'd sign off on any of those records, and would add "...solid offensive/defensive play..." and "..excellent coaching.." to top things off.

We can complain about a lot of things, but this team plays hard and is well prepared.

We're just a couple of dynamic players on offense away from being very good.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Jammal Brown seems to be adjusting well -- looked like he had a good game. Props to the OL in general. Good job sealing off the formerly successful Eagle's pass rush and the run blocking downfield was schweeeeeeet.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander rings bells.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander = Quazi Moto

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383

Don't worry, he found a way to rectify it in the games he did start.

So, I'm sorry. He didn't get six in two starts, it was more like 5 in two starts or something like that. All I know is that he got three yesterday, anyone up here excusing, downplaying it, or [my god!] calling it "The best game of his professional career"... I, I... really just don't know anymore. The Heyer co-signing is borderline tragic comedy. Tragic because he's the best option on the roster, comedy due to the people who continue to defend him like he's family.

2nd quarter

2nd-9-Phi15 Pass Donovan McNabb Pass to Clinton Portis to Phi3 for 12 yards

Penalty Was-Stephon Heyer PENALIZED -10 yards for Holding

1st-13-Phi13 Pass Donovan McNabb Pass to Brandon Banks to Phi18 for -5 yards

3rd quarter

3rd-7-Was24 Penalty Was-Stephon Heyer PENALIZED -5 yards for False Start

3rd-12-Was19 Sack Donovan McNabb sacked at Was18 for -1 yards

4th-13-Was18 Punt Josh Bidwell punts 43 yards to Phi39, Downed

4th quarter

1st-10-Phi47 Rush Ryan Torain Off Left End to Phi40 for 7 yards

2nd-3-Phi40 Penalty Was-Stephon Heyer PENALIZED -5 yards for False Start

2nd-8-Phi45 Rush Ryan Torain Off Left End to Phi43 for 2 yards

Stephon Heyer: A momentum and drive killing BUM

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I'd add that the coaching needs to settle in, as well. It's been an interesting process & it's nice to see the areas of improvement from game to game, win or loose.

Oh - and both our wins in the division... it's like they're worth a game & a half or something!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:59 AM
------------------------------------------
So, leave Portis in. If that is the only thing you gleaned from what I said, then you totally missed the point. The point is respond to the other team stacking eight guys in the box by attacking with multiple receivers.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Good Job O:
Ryan Torain, O-line, CC

Good Job D:

AH, Chris Wilson, Fletcher

Posted by: Stu27 | October 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Winning ugly still counts as win I guess. Especially on the road against a div opponent.

Posted by: skinswest | October 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I dunno.

Stephon Heyer played his best game as a Redskin.

Somehow I doubt the coaches are calling him a bum today.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh - we need a punter again, btw.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh and can we bid farewell to Bidwell, that shank in the 4th was inexcusable.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"LoZo destroying whoever it was on the ensuing return,..."

Lo Alexander should be paid anything and everything he wants.

He's a solid OLB/DE/DT.

He's a dynamic special teamer.

I'm sooooo glad he's getting a chance to play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'll take Heyer's 3 penalties over 3 sacks from Trent Cole any day. I dont see how you can knock a guy for shutting down one of the premiere pass rushers in the game. Jesus we are Redskins fans, we havnet had a good OL in a long time. You guys are acting like we've had the Pats front 5 for the past 10 years.

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 11:04 AM
------------------------------------------
I thought Al Gore invented the internet - and the "Happy Ending Massage"...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas must be the worst practice player ever to get so deep in shannahan's doghouse. Banks gets signed off the practice squad and they find a way to get the ball to him on offense. You telling me that Thomas couldn't do something like that? I guess some coaches just like their own guys regardless of ability.

Posted by: skinswest | October 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Can't say that I've seen a game or a series where they've mailed it in. No doubt these guys go out and give it their all.

In spite of all the b*tching about Heyer, I'm still satisfied with the win. It might not come against divisional opponents but I'd really like to see a skunk at least once this year in favor of the Redskins.

Don't see that happening in the next two weeks... maybe three weeks with Chicago after the Colts.

It'd be nice to beat the 'ish out the Lions. Some payback from last year in the form of a 41-10 win would be nice.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Which left tackle was worse, yesterday:

Stephon Heyer

or

Jason Peters

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Lo Alexander should be paid anything and everything he wants.

He's a solid OLB/DE/DT.

He's a dynamic special teamer.

I'm sooooo glad he's getting a chance to play.

Posted by: MistaMoe

He's our Adalius Thomas Moe.See you dont have to get washed up Adalius,find your own!

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 4, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"I dunno.

Stephon Heyer played his best game as a Redskin.

Somehow I doubt the coaches are calling him a bum today.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

--------

This is the Redskins we're talking about. Once you have a negative stigma, every bad play gets over-magnified, every positive undervalued.

First drive of the game:

1st and 10 at PHI 19 C.Portis left end to PHI 12 for 7 yards (E.Hobbs).

2nd and 3 at PHI 12 R.Torain left end for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Second drive of the game:

2nd and 3 at WSH 29 C.Portis left end to WAS 40 for 11 yards (N.Allen).

2nd and 10 at WSH 40 R.Torain left end pushed ob at PHI 47 for 13 yards (B.Graham).

1st and 10 at PHI 47 C.Portis left end to 50 for -3 yards (T.Cole).

2nd and 13 at 50 D.McNabb pass short left to C.Portis to PHI 36 for 14 yards (K.Coleman).

2nd and 10 at PHI 36 R.Torain left end ran ob at PHI 31 for 5 yards (E.Sims).

3rd and 5 at PHI 31 (Shotgun) D.McNabb pass deep left to C.Cooley for 31 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

On both Portis' and Torain's opening runs, Heyer opened GAPING holes. They were textbook. He had one negative play and six positive plays on our two scoring drives. We don't score TD's on those first two drives without Heyer playing as well as he did.

Heyer played well yesterday. Dumb penalties still surround him, but people are either wrong or purposefully blinding themselves to the positives he brought yesterday if they don't recognize his contributions.

And this is coming from one of his biggest critics. I HATE Heyer on the field 95% of the time. Yesterday was his shining moment.

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

JReid on the radio being Debbie Downer. Par for the course.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 4, 2010 11:16 AM

I'm sure he's hard at work scheduling his 17 Haynesworth posts and 12 corny poll posts. Oh, and don't forget the 3 offseason stat posts from some clown who fancies himself a numbers guru. But don't worry, I'll keep throwing up the Keim posts as I see them so we can get some actual information...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 10:59 AM
------------------------------------------
----------------
I got your point and its not the only thing that gleaned from your point just the most glaring. We dont have the OL to go 4 or 5 wide, especially with 3 of the first 4 defenses we've faced so far. We have however been taking a lot of shots down the field which is all McNabb. Im just glad we didnt have to watch JC another year.

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

One thing for sure about the defense- you WILL know you've been hit..Offenses don't want to play our physical defense..

Posted by: frak | October 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

On 74- I'm not saying he's not a (marginally) acceptable backup at RIGHT tackle, but he is clearly not dependable at LT. Whoever said "the penalties don't outweigh the gains" - really? He may well have cost us the Houston game- recall the 20 yard gain to 89 that was wiped away and put us in 1st and 20 inside the 20 in OT. You knew that drive was over, and it turns out so was the game. This week he had what 3-4 false starts and 1-2 holds?

While we may disagree on Heyer, I think we all agree that Bid-not-well has to go. I don't care if it's an injury or that he's washed up but he's not getting the job done. We're 29th in the league, 40.3 yards a game. Unacceptable. Bring back Hunter Smith.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else besides me laugh out loud when Hand of Stone dropped that easy INT yesterday? Honestly, if I was his agent I'd tell him we're gonna accept any offer a team makes to us next season, no negotiations at all...

Posted by: mattylight | October 4, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest

Banks made the team at the start of the season and was only put on the practice squad when they had to bring up Ryan Torain. They never wanted to put him on the practice squad - it was a temporary situation.

That being said, I've heard that Shanahan was not high on Devin during his draft year (when Shan was with Denver) so maybe he still has a bias.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

While I agree that Heyer did decently against Cole, he had a lot of help from Cooley and Davis all game. And please click on the link below to watch the TD again, Hicks pulls to block the Eagles end who came free, Cooley leads into the hole, all while Heyer is blocking Lichtenstiegeeieisdidifer's butt then peels off and gets a LB (Bradley) coming from the other side of the field in the hole late....yes, he got a nice block there that helped, but he hardly created a "gaping" hole, he blocked his own guard for 5 yards then peeled off and hit the LB. The scheme of the run and Hicks created the hole, Heyer did nothing but make a good block late on a guy who may or may not have gotten involved in the play.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | October 4, 2010 11:45 AM

October 3, 2010 = Mini-Bodybag Game

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I guess Chris Cooley being lined up next to him for chipping on pass plays and all out helping on run plays didn't have a thing to do with Heyer shutting down Trent Cole, did it?

So, through all the sucky and crappy play from the offensive line over the last year and a half, I'm suppose to turn the other cheek when crappy play still exist? Albeit from one player? What difference does it make if it o-line play has been bad in the past? Is this where were at? Even with improved play BAD play is now above criticism? Damn, talk about truing the 'ol blind eye!

Sorry, folks. I just don't roll that way. I'm not calling a game from someone who drew three penalties [one that took a potential TD off the board] "the best game of their life". Had it been that one and only, I don't know... maybe I could. But he drew two more, with one coming with under 4 minutes in a 17-12 game. Not the best of stuff in life material, IMO.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

oh and sellers had a nice lead block on the LB in the hole.....Heyer though was kind of an addendum to the play.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

We had a good (not great) day on the ground, and yes he gets some of the credit for that. But how many penalties? I think it was 3 false starts and 2 holds. His pass protection was OK, he run blocked well, and he had a handful of mistakes, one of which most probably cost us a TD. If that's his shining moment, I think you're making my point. I'm not saying "cut him now". I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at other options. I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Anybody else notice we're the only team in the NFC East with a division win, 2 at that? That Houston lost still hurts but we lost the 2 games we could afford to lose.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

From the Iggles Blog:

Things that were absolutely baffling from inside the stadium:
So if you thought that the timeout-into-delay-of-game fiasco was frustrating at home on television, imagine trying to sort that nonsense out in person. I was watching from the concourse as it all went down, and it took me a moment to actually process and internalize what had happened: so we were on the 1, took a timeout, and still somehow managed to get a delay-of-game penalty and kill our chance for the touchdown that we so desperately needed. With the help of a broadcast crew, you might be able to wrap your head around this narrative -- absurd as it seems. But just standing there watching? Yeah, I was dumbfounded.

-----------

hehe

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest

Sdub I feel you on that.My fear is that DT11 is gonna go somewhere within our division and beast out against us for years.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 4, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Holding is one thing. Failing to remember the snap count is just f u c k i n g stupid.

Heyer makes these mistakes week in and week out.

Heyer is stupid, and I'd rather he not play another down for the Redskins. Ever.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Which left tackle was worse, yesterday:

Stephon Heyer

or

Jason Peters

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 11:38 AM

Push.

But at least we didn't give up picks for Heyer like the Eagles did Peters.

Good stuff from psps23, but what you overlook is the fact that football is a game so closely contested that mistakes are ALWAYS weighed heavier than positive plays. A kicker could make 5 field goals, but if he shanks one with the game on the line he had a bad day. A QB could post a 100 rating all day but if he throws a pick 6 on what would be the game winning drive, he's a choker (unless his name is Favre). There've been plenty of Betts haters up here for his fumbling, but his fumbles in actuality have been pretty few and far between.

It's more important for lineman because they have no tangible statistics to offset their negative plays. The less you hear their names, the better...and Heyer is damn near a household name.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

And another thing,why does Sellers think he is Skeets Nehemiah every week.You can almost time when he is gonna try that now.Someone needs to tell him to keeps his 280lbs ass on the ground or he is gonna get leveled by somebody.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 4, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Also let us not forget that we shut the Iggles down on 3rd and goal to set up their delay of game fiasco.

Who was that on our D exactly?

Brian "You Gotta Hold Me to Stop Me" Orakpo and Laron "I Am a Human Missile" Landry?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Heyer was OK yesterday, the holding penalties and false starts are costly and annoying but besides those penalties he played alright.
Clinton and Torrain could be the combo we need to punish defenses. Portis was getting hammered and that play where he got hit in the groin should have been his last for the game. I commend him for his toughness. Torrian is a nice change of physicality back, kind of like hitting a nail with a ball peen hammer and then a sledge hammer.
Fat Al did alright yesterday but the Dline needs to provide more heat on the QB. I like the fact that they started Alexander instead of Carter and played Carter as a D end most of the game. The LBs didn't have a good game, too many missed tackles.
Overall, I'm glad we won but we continue to have the same issues.
1- the offense becomes too passive in the 2nd half.
2- the defense does not stop long drives and does not adjust to the tendencies the opposition shows in the second half (i.e. Texans smoke routes, Rams screen passes, Eagles underneath routes)
3- Not getting consistant pressure on the QB
4- Having a viable threat at the 2nd WR position

Posted by: priceisright | October 4, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Kanehoe, I'm not quite as down as you on him but do agree that other options needs to be explored. He would probably be a solid OG, but doesn't seem to have what it takes to play LT. Hopefully Capers or another young PS guy can be the replacement in the future, but what's the answer rigth now to our backup tackle problem? I don't know, I hope Shanahan does. I expect a move to be made in the next couple weeks if Heyer does not improve and soon.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 11:37 AM
------------------------------------------
The Packers and Bears looked very beat-able yesterday. Cutler could very well be out several weeks after the concussion which means the Skins could be facing -oh, no - former Redskins backup Todd Collins. The Packers gave up a lot of yards passing to Shaun f-ing Hill yesterday. If the Redskins had a secret receiving weapon squirreled away somewhere, it is time to break it out. Brandon Banks?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 4, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

You saw two of the most jumpinest full back in the league with Sellers V Scmidtt. Both are notorious launchers.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The Next 4 Games:

10/10 VS Packers

10/17 VS Colts

10/24 @ Bears

10/31 @ Lions

October looks like a cruel month.

But the jags and jints beat two of the teams listed here.

Can we?

The team coming to town Sunday has a good D, excellent O, but has a weak O-line, and can be beaten.

Can we beat them?

The Halloween game won't be that scary, but we've played down to teams before.

What'll scare me is an 0-fer October.

2-2 is expected, but 3-1 desireable.

That makes for a record of 5-3 for the 1st half of the season.

I'm I an optimist: No.

I'm a realist who inservices pessmists for a living.

4-4 through the first 8 games would be okay.

And then, finishing 5-3 (9-7 season record) would be better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The season will look A LOT better once Heyer's ample rear end is firmly planted on the bench. The two holding calls are somewhat understandable given the quality of the player he was facing (Cole), but that false start (ON A RUNNING PLAY, FOR CRISSAKES) during the 'Skins last possession almost cost them the game. Without the penalty, it's second-and-three instead of second-and-eight, and the 'Skins almost certainly pick up the first down and take a knee two or three times to run out the clock. Heyer is marginally acceptable as a backup, but as a starter, he's a holding penalty or a sack waiting to happen.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse
---------
You can "roll" however you want. I know what to expect from a backup RT who has been garbage his entire time here. Yesterday's game isnt the one to critize Heyer about.

"Is this where were at? Even with improved play BAD play is now above criticism?"
Dude, seriously? We were 4-12 last year, we've been there since 1999.

Posted by: murphyz703 | October 4, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Which left tackle was worse, yesterday:

Stephon Heyer

or

Jason Peters

Posted by: MistaMoe

Good and fair question. Neither one did it big like that.

Seeing how Peters had two penalties to Heyer's three, and how despite the penalties from Peters his team was still able to get positive yards, I'd have to say Heyer had the worst game of the two.

Peters has also been penalized (5) one time less than Heyer (6) this season, and Peter has started all four games comapred to the TWO (hear me jumbo?) games Heyer has started.

Of course Heyer ain't no where near the talent of Jason Peters. Then again Jason Peters maybe the most overrated offensive linemen in the league, so I don't know.... maybe you can call it a "push".

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Andy Reid = Jason Reid's NERDY Brother

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I never said we couldn't upgrade from Heyer, just that he played well yesterday, about as good as you could expect from a back-up tackle. He still has a long way to go to earn the benefit of the doubt, though. Reed Doughty's had good games too, but I'm not going to claim he should be relied upon as our FS.

His few dumb plays were still that...dumb. But rather than CONSTANTLY being a nuisance who can't block anybody, gets his QB killed, and whiffs on running plays, Heyer was actually positive for most of the game. Heyer was yesterday what Flozell Adams had been for his entire career: a great player for 85% of the snaps with a few head-scratching, idiotic penalties.

I'll take that over what most people get out of their back-up tackles.

Now, the real problem is whether Heyer can be relied upon to perform that way on a weekly basis. Thus far into his career, it's been the opposite.

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | October 4, 2010 11:48 AM

Actually, I screamed out loud...thank the sweet baby Jesus the D didn't give up a game winning drive. That's usually how that story ends...22 either has to learn how to close out games with plays like that or learn the phrase "would you like fries with that"...

PA, I thought the same thing...our answer to The Body Bag game, especially if it dramatically alters the course of Philly's season.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I liked how Banks lined up deep enough that he did not have to retreat to field Rocca's booming punts.

As I recall, Banks' fumbles/muffs came on balls where he had to retreat to field the ball.

That's coaching. Good job Danny Smith.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

count me in the crew that thinks Rogers has eye sight problems. Its the first theory that made any sense

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

IMO Torain looked great but CP dinged up hurts us bad....I'd call Buffalo and see if a package of DT11 (the coaches hate him obviously and the Bills need WR's), Carter (simply doesn't fit in our scheme, Alexander and Wilson showed they are in house upgrades), and a 4th could pry Lynch away. He's still very young, you pair him with Torain and you have your backfield for the next five years all for the price of a couple spare parts and a mid round pick to get a starting rb....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Josh Bidwell = NERD who can't kick and should be cut!

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Moe, the Skins are up and down...play up to the level of teams better than they are and play down to teams at or below their level. So with that in mind, I see the next 4 games going like this:

10/10 VS Packers -- L

10/17 VS Colts -- W

10/24 @ Bears -- W

10/31 @ Lions -- L

They'll crap out against the Packers because everyone will be talking glowingly about their win over Philly. Then they'll be pronounced dead again and they'll rise up and beat Indy kinda like the Jags did yesterday (contain the Colts' passing attack and run the ball all up and down their D). The Bears are fraudulent and they'll win that one by accident if nothing else (plus Shanahan and McNabb will be juiced for that game since they're both from Chicago). Then when they're up 2 games in the NFC East and everyone's favorite to win the division, they'll sh*t the sheets against the Lions to go into the bye week grasping for answers. The awful taste in the team's mouth from that loss will set the stage for a good run of Redskins football down the stretch.

Just my gut feeling...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

That's coaching. Good job Danny Smith.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

lol, apparently you didn't actually watch either of Banks' returns, he was retreating to catch the ball on both of them.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 12:10 PM

Count me in the crew that believes the Redskins medical staff wouldn't overlook this problem. I'm sticking with poor hand eye coordination. The guy needs to play more video games.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Vick has damage to his cartilage and McCoy has a broken rib.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

4-4 through the first 8 games would be okay.

And then, finishing 5-3 (9-7 season record) would be better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. 9-7 has a real chance to win this division too. These div wins early could be huge for tiebreaking purposes.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday's game isnt the one to critize Heyer about

Did Heyer make balloon animals at your son's birthday party?

Look, regardless who it is anytime you get THREE penalties, one taking a potential TD off the board, the other coming in with less than 4 minutes to go in a 17-12 game, you're a target for criticism. That's just the way it is. And for all the "outstanding" blocking you all like to cite, I find it rather convenient that you leave out the face that he received help all day yesterday. Sure Heyer had his moments, but lets not go making this "The game he arrived".

Dude, seriously? We were 4-12 last year, we've been there since 1999.

What the hell does that have to do with Heyer and his performance yesterday? I said this team is anywhere from a 6 to 9 win team, so what the fhuck does 2009 or 1999 have to do with it?

And I love this "we were 4-12 last year, so lets climb in the hammock and sip some kool-aid and be happy" loser talk. What the fhuck does that have to do with yesterday or the current season?!?!?! Look, last year is LAST YEAR. Just because someone played badly in a win you aren't suppose to be critical of their performance?

Wow, are motherfhuckers that starved they'll just lose all rationality and drastically lower expectations? Its like: 'Um, uhh-uhh, we were 4-12 last year, so if someone and goes out and stinks it up, but we win, uhh-uhh, it's okay and they should not be criticized because we won and we were, uhh-uhh 4-12 last year'

uhhh-uhhh -- LOSER TALK!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Count me in thinking the Redskins medical crew probably consists of mostly guys with no medical degrees. Or degrees from outside the US and I don't mean the 30 countries with better doctors and stuff.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

alex lets take a couple of zeros off of his game check.You think he'll see that?

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, i watched both of them. Maybe you didn't see real retreating when he fumbled in the preseason. A in retreating all the way to the point of reception. Yesterday, he lined up deeper, adjusted quickly and was set to receive the ball.

ps: I was gonna let this go, but your proposal of shipping DT11, AC99 and a 4th for Marshawn's head case paper mache azz is stupider than Heyer failing to count to two three times a game. Which we all know is straight Fing tard.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Two thoughts about Rogers:

(1) I didn't think it was possible to be as athletic as he is and have hands as bad as he does.

(2) If Phillip Buchanon or Deangelo Hall were anywhere near as good as Rogers is at putting himself in position to make an INT, this team would set a record for turnovers.

Eff Darelle Revis. Woodson is the premier CB in the league.

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The Bills run a 3-4 defense. They wouldn't be interested in Andre Carter.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

10/10 VS Packers -- W

10/17 VS Colts -- W

10/24 @ Bears -- W

10/31 @ Lions -- W

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 4, 2010 12:15 PM

Fixed it for ya brown!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

probably. my guess is its astigmatism or something.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex, what CR22 needs is reading glasses. He sees the ball well until it is within two feet of him, then the ball gets all fuzzy and blurry.

I suffer the same affliction.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 4, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 11:51 AM

THIS WAS THE PLAY DESIGN. GO WATCH "COACH EM UP" By Steve Marriucci on NFLN....as Mooch pointed out this play and pointed out what each player was supposed to do on that play. Heyer played it correctly as Sellers was supposed come in the hole and block anything he may see......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 4, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

My guess is he stigmatized for failing to catch.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

My guess is he is stigmatized for failing to catch.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, except Woodson isn't overrated like Buchanon, doesn't have DHall's cocky mouth, and has a better grasp of the English language than Rogers.
Just one problem, Woodson is ancient and will probably only be playing at a high level like this for only another year, 2 tops.

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The dude went to the University of Maryland. Everyone comes out of there with his head up his ass.

Posted by: beep-beep

Boomer Esiason?
Randy White?
Frank Reich?
Neil O'Donnell?
Shaun Hill?
E J Henderson?
Jess Atkinson?
Shawn Merriman?
Kris Jenkins?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 4, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Has Doc Walker given Ryan Torain a nickname yet? I'd be shocked if he hasn't. He usually gives stupid and irrelevant names like Cyborg, beast, manchild and freak. Try something a little more clever. Here are a few suggestions:

All-Torain Vehicle

Rugged Torain

The Torain-tula

Ryan Torain on your parade

Here comes Torain again

Torain or not to rain, that is the question

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Woodson is the premier CB in the league.

Posted by: psps23 | October 4, 2010 12:26 PM

STAMPED and approved....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 4, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

Boomer Esiason?
Randy White?
Frank Reich?
Neil O'Donnell?
Shaun Hill?
E J Henderson?
Jess Atkinson?
Shawn Merriman?
Kris Jenkins?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 4, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

How could you leave off cowboy killer Nick at Nite Novak??

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Makes me appreciate Charles Woodson more and more. Woodson is Rogers' coverage range and hitting ability combined with Hall's hands combined with Buchanon's return prowess."

Best 'Old' corner in the league right now.

pick'em:

Champ Bailey

Charles Woodson

Ronde Barber

Moe rolls with Mr. Woodson, a guy who still can take a turnover 'to the house'.

Thing is, we hope this isn't the weekend he does this.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"Freight Torrain"

I coined it after he tea kettled that dude for his TD.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Pay back is a b!tch

Michael Vick has rib cartilage injury, LeSean McCoy broken rib
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 4, 2010 12:07 PM ET
Eagles coach Andy Reid says quarterback Michael Vick has a rib cartilage injury but not a broken rib, while running back LeSean McCoy did suffer a broken rib against the Redskins on Sunday.

"Michael Vick has a rib cartilage injury," Reid said at his press conference today. "There are no broken bones, but he does have a rib cartilage injury. It's up high in the second and third ribs. LeSean McCoy has a rib fracture and they're doing some further tests on that but right now he has one rib fracture."

Reid couldn't confirm a time frame for Vick's return, other than, "We'll just see how he feels."

Reid also confirmed that receiver Riley Cooper and cornerback Asante Samuel suffered concussions, but he didn't seem to expect either player to miss much time.

"If there's any good news on this, their concussions seem to be mild," Reid said.

Posted by: TWISI | October 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas apparently on the cutting/trading block.

Cut to Greg smashing his head against his computer.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Pay back is a b!tch

Michael Vick has rib cartilage injury, LeSean McCoy broken rib

Posted by: TWISI | October 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Can you say "body bag game"?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

All-Torain Vehicle

Rugged Torain

The Torain-tula

Ryan Torain on your parade

Here comes Torain again

Torain or not to rain, that is the question

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended
==========================================
I would just call him 'Dually', cause he sure did truck Mikell....

Posted by: priceisright | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

No kidding TWISI. That finesse team the iggles were not able to be as physical as the Skins yesterday. Skins beat up the iggles on their way to a win yesterday.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 4, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

This team sucks but at least they're winning while they learn and get better. I think this is the part of the season where reality rears its head and the losses mount, but most of us expected that anyway. Not enough weapons.

Posted by: ahwyatt | October 4, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I did forget Nick Novak, didn't I?
Sorry Nick.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 4, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I have yet to watch any of those old CB's play so can judge the man.

But Woodson over Champ sounds right.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

ryp, can't access at work, what are they asking for him in a trade, and are they REALLY thinking about cutting him?

nice job boosting his value by getting him some touch's....oh wait....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas apparently on the cutting/trading block.

Cut to Greg smashing his head against his computer.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM

Makes sense, Austin and Banks can do what he's doing right now. They may even get a ball thrown there way once in a while.

Posted by: TWISI | October 4, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Pay back is a b!tch

Michael Vick has rib cartilage injury, LeSean McCoy broken rib

Posted by: TWISI | October 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Can you say "body bag game"?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM |

Yesterday was the "Doggy Bag" game.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Disagree with many of you about Heyer, but co-sign with many of you on Charles Woodson.

That dude is getting better as time goes along. Of course your instincts get better with age, but at 33 he can do everything he was doing at 23.

So, monk when you say:

"Woodson is ancient and will probably only be playing at a high level like this for only another year, 2 tops"

... means in two years he'll be the greatest to ever do it.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Best 'Old' corner in the league right now.

pick'em:

Champ Bailey

Charles Woodson

Ronde Barber

Moe rolls with Mr. Woodson, a guy who still can take a turnover 'to the house'.

Thing is, we hope this isn't the weekend he does this.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Ronde Barber in this discussion?
No way, his best days are well behind him.
I also believe he plays so much zone and is never truly out on an island any more.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 4, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas apparently on the cutting/trading block.

Cut to Greg smashing his head against his computer.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM

Chris Russel on 980's Pregame Show yesterday said he had a good long conversation with DT11. He said DT11 came to seek him out.

Then he said the conversation was very interesting on what he thinks is going on with the team as it relates to him, but couldn't divulge any of the info because it was private. But he did say that Devin doesn't think he'll be here too much longer......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 4, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

you make some good points on occasion. too bad you have to be so rude making them. I mean I know that's your schtick and all- you remind me of "Angry Black" from Stern- but I think you can make your point without 57 f-bombs and berating your fellow poster. Just a thought, I know it'll fall on deaf ears.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Heyer is garbage. There's no way in hell he should be on this team next year. That hold he had when Mcnabb threw that miraculous first down on 3rd and forever to Moss against Houston was killer. The Redskins win despite the presence of Heyer not because of him.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ronde Barber is still in the league? Playing corner at 35? Respect.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

4th, russell also said that DT wouldn't be active for the game, so no sure what to think about that.....

what could they get for him at this point? At best a 5th or later round pick...its not worth it to keep him, involve him in the offense, and see what he can do, instead just trade/cut him....that make negative sense to me...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If DT does get traded I hope, ten, twelve, fifteen years from now, they do one of those one day contracts so he can retire a Redskin.
Throw those ones up y'all!

Posted by: mack1 | October 4, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks is the illegitimate love child of Daryl Green and Florence Griffith Joyner (Flo-Jo).

I bet he makes other fans feel the way I do when I see Desean Jackson fielding kicks against the Skins.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

once a dick, always a dick eh mack.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

So, monk when you say:

... means in two years he'll be the greatest to ever do it.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It means that he ressurected his career. He was underachieving and on his way out of football, then for some reason he had a resurgence. I really thought he'd be showing his age this year, but I'll give him another year to do the unlikely. And by the way, Champ Bailey is still better right now than Woodson.

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

why trade DT11? After all, he's making an even bigger contribution than MK12.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 4, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The season for us looks the same. Maybe 9-7?

What is different is how weak the other NFC East teams look. Which means 9-7 (8-8) could very well win the division and make the playoffs.

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Devin Thomas is really that bad.... damn. So disappointing....

If Devin has a hard time learning the playbook, you'd think he'd put in the extra to stay after hours with Keenan McCardell.

Disappointing that they're citing his "work ethic" as questionable. I have no sympathy for people who half-ass it on their job, whatever it is they do...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 4, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

DT trading block beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Well if that's the case we might as well hold on to him. According to some annoying posters a 5th round pick would do no good and we wouldn't know how to pick anybody there anyway. I would like us to get something for him, but maybe it's a STUPID idea.

Posted by: monk811 | October 4, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Re: Heyer

Heyer is a backup, and he needs to be treated/thought of as a backup. Which means when he's forced to start and play the whole game we need to scheme to give him help in pass-pro so he doesn't get so many holding calls. THe false starts are on him.

Re: DT11

Shanny is clearly a "practice" Nazi. You need to practice great in order to get PT (see Albert Haynesworth). DT11 has all the makings of a guy who doesn't show really great in practice, but can show up in a game and make plays. Where does that leave his future? Beats me.

Re: Ryan Torain nick-names

The Torain-Train
Reign of Torain

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Heyer makes these mistakes week in and week out.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Kaneohe, I agree with you most of the time. But you have to remember(I'm sure you have missed this one) that Heyer is a backup. We don't have a better backup OT than Heyer. So we shouldn't get rid of him, unless and until we have a better one. Heyer looked like a backup, but at least DMac survived the game, and we did get some good push from our OL.

What I haven't seen being mentioned was that we didn't hear anything about Wil Montgomery, even tho he played the 4th Q. And when an OL doesn't get mentioned, that's a good thing.

Heyer was mentioned 4 times, 3 for penalties, and once for a key block on Torain's TD. Not bad for a backup. I'm glad we have Heyer. The alternative could be a lot worse.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 4, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Snarcastic comment of the day:

"...why trade DT11? After all, he's making an even bigger contribution than MK12."

MK12 is making a million this year to 'rehab'.

If I got millions, and I'm rehabbing, I'm taking Lindsey Hoe-Han into the facility with me.

That way, we can rehab together.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas apparently on the cutting/trading block.

Cut to Greg smashing his head against his computer.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 4, 2010 12:50 PM
------------------------------------------
To the Texans for Steve Slaton?

To the Bears for Tommie Harris?

To the Panthers for Tony Pike?

While they are looking for trades, the Saints are beat up at safety. Now would be a good time to move Horton or Doughty as they both have some familiarity with Greg Williams' defense. Robert Meachum straight up?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

1. GB at home. Winnable, but Redskins will be a home dog. Having Trent and KMo both back at the same time will help. An uphill fight... and the Philly D plan may be instructive as a way to slow down Rodgers wheeling and dealing. GB oline is vulnerable and could be their achilles.

2. Colts at home. Houston showed how to beat the Colts. Crank up the Freight Torrain. Redskins have the personnel to follow the plan. Colts D is vulnerable. Can the D do enough to contain Peyton?

3. Bears at Chicago. Bears were exposed for the frauds they are two weeks running. Somehow, GB managed to lose to them on the road. 18 penalties will do that. If Rak and crew don't get 6 sacks, something is wrong. I can't see the Bears mustering more than 10 points. CR and DH lock it down, bring the house to harass Cutler into submission.

4. Lions at Detroit. Lions are good enough to play with any team at home. Won't quit. Jansen is gone so they can't play the win one for Jonny card. Stafford will likely be back and back in form after having a game or two under his belt. Winnable. Also losable, like the Rams game.

I say 3-1.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Snarcastic comment of the day:

MK12 is making a million this year to 'rehab'.

That way, we can rehab together.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 4, 2010 1:15 PM
-----------------------------------------
You're out of look with Hoe-Han cuz she's batting for the other team. As far as MK getting paid for rehabbing, he better save his money.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 4, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I say 3-1.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

rofl....really? 3 and 1 against Rogers, Manning, @ the Bears, and @ the Lions.....we are still talking about the same team that got dominated by the Rams right? 8-8 is still a heck of a year and to with a straight face say we're going 3-1 in our next 4 is laughable....could it happen? its the NFL so sure anything can happen, but to predict it.....IMO 2-2 would be great

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 4, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

This Heyer is a backup nonsense doesn't make any sense. Would you be able to use that excuse for any other position? If a "backup" WR drops makeable catches or has penalties called against him is it because he is a backup? A RB fumbles a couple times its because he's a backup? A DE hits the QB late its because he's a backup? Give me a break! If it wasn't for the lack of depth coming into the season Heyer would be a backup at Dominos Pizza!

Posted by: ga8085 | October 4, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

yo red I see ur point....

But u gotta remember were talkin bout heyer....

So when these guys say best game of his life you gotta measure it to his body of work...

His body of work looks weak in comparasion to a house made of a deck of cards.....

So him blockin anyone for one play could equate to game of his life

I am happy with the win but i m still not thinkin heyer solved any oline problems

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Devin Thomas is really that bad.... damn. So disappointing....

Posted by: RedDMV

The dude is too busy making music videos with Fantasia for real.

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 4, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's ego is huge ... a bit too huge if you ask me. Hmmm reminds one of Bruce's dad George who benched the best pure passer in the game, made him inactive for both of their one-and-only superbowl.

Games won? It depends on whether Haynesworth plays often or not. He is the best athlete on this defense ... clearly given the first two games where they fell apart in the 4th he wasn't the only one who was "out of football shape"? Now was he?

Time for Shanny to face the mirror and say that clearly one of the best players on his team in Haynesworth who can both stop the run and put on a fierce pass rush. Something even beloved Orapko cannot and never will be able to do ... both things.

Posted by: periculum | October 4, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2010 11:26 AM

There was a run late in the game by Torain, that J. Brown was blowing people up, he was well into the secondary leveling Mikell.

Not sure why D. Thomas has been so dogged by the coaching staff, seems to be doing everything right on special teams, not quite sure how B. Banks and Armstrong have surpassed him, some of those throws yesterday to Armstrong, I thought D. Thomas would have made the play.

But we are not at practice, but it seems odd to me. Also seems that Fred Davis is getting in Shanny's doghouse, you dont see much tailored to him and I definitely dont understand that, he could be a real weapon on the outside or down the middle, very quick and big, seems alot like Shannon Sharpe.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

*McNabb's inaccuracy is not worrisome, IMO. It was crazy windy, wet, and cold out there."

posted by psps23

That's good to know because I want to see him back where he was against Houston. Maybe shorten up the 50 yarders to 35 so he doesn't look like he's just throwing it up

Posted by: ElYeah | October 4, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

As bad as they have played, they should be 4-0, blew 27-10 lead in fiasco against Houston and gave up 16-14 lead to St Louie

Posted by: dawg49 | October 4, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Stephan Heyer either needs to go! or he needs to settled it down! He is good for at least 15 to 20 yard penalties a game. And that's not good when you have a struggling team! If you can't get rid of him this year and he continues to make mistakes, part ways next season early so that you can get some descent OL in camp.

Posted by: hoganincharge | October 5, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse