How long will Rogers' benching last?

Washington Redskins cornerback Carlos Rogers, a starter in all but two of the team's games since 2006, was benched after the first series of Sunday's 27-17 victory over the Denver Broncos, a move that appeared to be punishment for his role in the Broncos' first touchdown of the day.

"I was done for the game," Rogers said afterward. "I don't know if it's for the year, or what."

Rogers, who was replaced mostly by veteran Fred Smoot as the cornerback opposite DeAngelo Hall, admitted that he erred on a 40-yard touchdown pass from Denver quarterback Kyle Orton to star wideout Brandon Marshall. The play came on third and 11, and Marshall badly faked out Rogers to get himself wide open just more than three minutes into the game.

"I gave up the first one," Rogers said. "It was a double-move. After that I didn't play no more. After that, it was on whoever it was. I really didn't pay attention."

Rogers spent the rest of the game on the sideline without his helmet nearby. He caught passes from quarterback Jason Campbell to help Campbell keep warm. Second-year cornerback Justin Tryon also saw significant time when the Redskins played three cornerbacks.

"We took him out just to give him a break," Coach Jim Zorn said. "Fred Smoot really rose to the occasion, having to come in and play corner in a big game in that situation.

"What we'll do: Carlos is not out of it now. We'll just go back and look at it. Much like a QB, we made a change. It was for the rest of the game, but it doesn't mean it's for the rest of the way down the road."

Marshall also caught a 75-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter; his first two catches went for 115 yards, but he had only three catches for 19 yards after that.

Rogers, a restricted free agent after this season, said he had not thought about what the benching might mean for his future. He did not start two games at the end of last season after the Redskins signed Hall and the since-departed Shawn Springs got healthy.

"It's nothing new to me," Rogers said. "Anything that happens around here ain't nothing new to me. I went through it last year. I was benched after the first half of the season I had. ... "I didn't really worry about it, and I'm not really going to think about it. I ain't even going to think about no future here."

By Barry Svrluga  |  November 15, 2009; 6:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carter and Orakpo: 'We got after it'
Next: At least Suisham is perfect on scoreboard

Comments

Looks like the linebacker idea is working after all ...

Posted by: periculum | November 15, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

lol, he has been not great in both coverage and against the run and great rushing the passer.....that's kinda what we knew he could do already, the linebacker idea has only taken him from 12 or 13 sacks to 7

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Get this pouter off my team. " I really didn't pay attention." please. I'm surprised he didn't real off his "#1 passing defense" excuse yet again. Double move is his MO.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 15, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I ain't even going to think about no future here."

Carlos Rogers

Most of us are thinking the same thing. Loser.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 15, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Zorn we just gave him a break grow some balls and say you benched him for a bad play. You sound like a idiot when you say he was benched to get a break.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 15, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

good freaking riddens carlos. take your feet for hands and sit on the bench until the end of the year, and then take them out of town.

i ain't be missing no future of yours as such.

Posted by: goose33 | November 15, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

i ain't be missing no future of yours as such.

Posted by: goose33 | November 15, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009

If he had played defensive end and not been in the game on running downs (he can't stop the run not at defensive end). I believe he would be lucky to have 1 or 2 at this point.

Posted by: periculum | November 15, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

don't let the door hit you on the way out jackazz. You can't catch, you can't cover anything resembling more than a basic route, and you have a bad attitude. The Auburn draft will go down as a very bad draft. Love Gibbs, he whiffed on these two picks badly.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I bet he dropped every one of those passes from Campbell.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | November 15, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Just tuned in, but is Dallas this bad or is GB this good? Fox just returned from break showing Woodson getting trucked a la Landry vs the Giant from last year lol! Made my day is all. Oh, and the win good too. But at least we haven't been shut out like this all year.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 15, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009

Posted by: periculum | November 15, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

you also thought priest holmes should have been signed to be a receiver for us, so don't need to say much more about your football knowledge.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Jack, agree on the Auburn picks, but give both Gregg and Gibbs a whiff each.

Gibbs was never a personnel guy, just someone who new how to use what he was given, and I think Gregg wanted this loser.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 15, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

his 7 sacks have come as a part time d-end, not from linebacker, watch the games peri before commenting.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, agreed. GG wiffed on that ArchDeluxe/Ryan Clark thing too. If only there was a way to prevent that kind of thing.... like a guy who manages the team, say in a general sense. It'd be nice to have somebody good at that....

Posted by: AppleScience | November 15, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

As with JC,I'd tender Carlos to get a draft pick back. He's not an elite player, but he's still a good player. The defense has been fine for years with him as a strter, butI do think his time is done. I wouldn't want anything less than a 3rd for Carlos.

Posted by: TWISI | November 15, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

he's not worth a third, but I agree, I'd tender him at that level, he's a decent corner and that's hard to find, he's just not remotely closed to the star he thinks he is.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 15, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

***I bet he dropped every one of those passes from Campbell.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | November 15, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse****

LOL !!!! Line of the day !!!

Posted by: cej75024 | November 15, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Double move is a b1tch

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 15, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Skins gained a game on the iggles, most likely on the girls as well and 1/2 game on the ginas.

Division Champs, here we come.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 15, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Skins win iggles and girls lose what a great day!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 15, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 15, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Where are all the frickin Carlos Rogers apologists??

Hello?? Are you out there??

Where are your excuses and rationalizations??

Yeah, he's a pretty good tackler...WHEN HE'S NOT GOING TO THE BUFFET ON DOUBLE-MOVES AND SINKING THIS TEAM WITH HIS INCOMPETENCE!

Posted by: p1funk | November 15, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"I ain't even going to think about no future here."

Good, because the future around here isn't thinking about your sorry butt either.

Go dupe some other team into paying you #1 CB money you total waste of a 9 overall pick.

Posted by: p1funk | November 15, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

He looked real bad on that play. It was 3rd and long and he let the guy get behind him. Orton didn't even do a fake pump or anything. I figured Carlos was counting on the Safety. But clearly he needed to stick with Marshall as it was the only Bronco on that side of the field. The Broncos had 2 of those today and one that was over thrown. Take those 3 plays away and they did NOTHING vs the Skins D. Oh btw, D Hall wants nothing to do with tackling anybody. He avoids it like the Pig Flu. Thank goodness that crazy fake FG worked. Imagine if it had not???

Posted by: TheDubb | November 15, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Guys, I think Carlos' comment: "I ain't even going to think about no future here." is being misinterpreted. I don't think that's what he meant to say. I think he meant it as, "Things always change so much here, I'm not even going to look forward, I'm just focused on what's going on right now and don't want to forecast." I don't think he meant it as, "I'm not even going to consider re-signing here." He certainly hasn't been playing well but he's still one of our best CB's and is generally a good cover guy--he just screwed up today. If he can play better the rest of this season, I'd still be open to him returning. Don't turn on him because of that comment, because I don't think that's what he meant.

Posted by: bryanman8 | November 15, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Trade this jackass for a 2nd rounder in 2010. Smoot did fine today as his replacement.

Rogers was probably to blame for that Eagles 3rd and 23 debacle as well.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Drop this bum like a bad habit.

Posted by: elfreako | November 15, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Rogers said[,] "After that...I really didn't pay attention." AND "I ain't even going to think about no future here."

-Great attitude from an NFL starter who needs to step up his game, especially since it's his contract year... I thought his coverage skills were improving during the first 8 games of last year; then, well, he sh*t the bed and has done so ever since. And on top of that, dude's never been able to catch a pass thrown PERFECTLY at him for an INT. I can't think of anyone I've ever seen with worse hands...

And couldn't possibly back this quote by AppleScience anymore than I do; it hits the nail on the head:
"If only there was a way to prevent that kind of thing.... like a guy who manages the team, say in a general sense. It'd be nice to have somebody good at that...."

Like someone who might think before:
-Trading Champ PLUS a #2 for a RB picked in, yup, you guessed it: Round #2.
-Trading up/giving up picks in order to draft JC.
-Trading picks for B.Lloyd, Dancing With The Stars, T.J. Suckett, et al.
-Drafting ANOTHER Saftey (Laron Losery) in Round #1, 6th overall, after already spending a high pick on one Safety, Sean Taylor, who was actually producing like a top 10 pick. But another pick that high on a freakin' Safety when we needed a DE ?!?
-Picking need over value and taking Rogers 9th overall instead of trading down. If I remember correctly, most analysts were saying what a weak draft class 2005 was in the CB department. But instead of trading down we forced the pick, and, on top of that reached for JC who would have still been there for their next pick in the 2nd round.
-Ignoring defensive/o-line needs in the '08 draft to take three 2nd round receivers who have yet to prove their worth.
-Ignoring the o-line AGAIN this year.
-Running the team like it's fantasy football.
-And so on, and so forth...

Posted by: harrypoopers | November 15, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

"I ain't even going to think about no future here."

This jerk has never lived up to billing...and he's a self-centered jerk.

Get rid of him.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | November 15, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I bet all you people ragging on CR now were praising him during the first part of last season when he was playing at a "Pro Bowl" level (::scoff::).

I've been on record since he was drafted as saying he's an overrated punk. Everyone knows he can't catch, but what's worse is he curses this team with his inability -- if he had caught the interception in the Seattle game a couple of years back, Shawn Springs wouldn't have gotten hurt on the very next play, for example.

But now everyone is finally realizing that he can't cover either. So many times over the years, he has been burned for touchdowns, yet he retained his starting job.

I couldn't stand him when he was drafted, can't stand him now, and cannot wait until the day he leaves this team.

Of course, they will still be stuck with another overrated corner in MeAngelo Hall. Incidentally, I was also on record as saying that the 'Skins should NOT sign him when he was released from Oakland, but was drowned out by the MeAngelo love. Sure, he can pick off the ball, but at the expense of giving up the big play in the same game.

These cornerbacks are but a fraction of the gross personnel incompetencies (is that a word?) of the Snyder administration. Until changes are made, we can look forward to many more overrated, overpaid, and badly over-matched free agents and draft picks.

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 15, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Rogers, needs to be shown the door.

Now as far as his worth, on the open market.
Its equal too his missed interceptions.

Posted by: dashriprock | November 15, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I ain't mad at Rogers. It's not what he says about the benching but how he responds to it. Brandon Marshall was benched by the Broncos - now he's back to catching TD's. Rogers shouldn't be the only under-producing player that gets benched though. El should never ever be allowed to return another punt. Phillip Daniels should start yeilding playing time to Jarmon. Betts should start over Portis. Hell, even Alexander should start over Cornelius Griffin if it was all about production.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 15, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Just another typical draft pick who hasn't panned out for the team and isn't happy cause of his own play...ship him off to another team next year so he can hate the Skins just like all their ex-players..like LaVar Arrington, Antonio Pierce...

Posted by: SCPEGLEG | November 15, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a good coaching decision!

We don't need to cut him but if he wants to play with his head up his ass and "not pay attention" and play catch and carry on with his 8th grader prima donna antics he can sit the f down while Tryon and Smoot (please don't put him as safety any more that's Reed's job) can run it./

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 15, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

guys, guys....we don't need to be so overly critical of carlos rogers. he sealed his fate a few weeks ago when he called out the front office by saying "the problem starts at the top..." the fact that he can't catch and the fact that he's suceptible to the double move is a clear indication that he won't be returning to the team next season. it would really suck to see him actually start to catch better on another team though. look at how walt harris led the league in int's when he left us to go to san fran. it doesn't matter. i foresee next season w/ us having a new d coordinator (blache needs to take his "bend but don't break" shyt somewhere else). i'd like to see a d coordinator who'll demand the corners press all game every game. all this cushion that our corners gives makes a furniture store look sick! let's all say a collective "good-bye" to rogers. he's gone!

Posted by: charronegro1971 | November 15, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Rogers speaks very well ;)

Posted by: bal503 | November 16, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tc2003 | November 16, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Man carloss robbers needs to shut up! Come on carlump robles i mean we spent a 9th pick on you.Carpless Ranger you havent played well thats it.Oh and by the way has anyone seen the cb from allburn?Whats his name..skins fans havent either.

Posted by: daddebig | November 16, 2009 2:22 AM | Report abuse

""After that I didn't play no more. After that, it was on whoever it was. I really didn't pay attention." Rogers spent the rest of the game on the sideline without his helmet nearby."

Thats the problem. He came out, and instead of watching, learning, slowing the game down, seeing what Marshall was doing, he decided he didn't to learn, and he didn't need to be ready to go help his teammates incase of injury.

If we got a 3rd for this guy, i'd be a miracle. Eitherway, C-ya CR.

Posted by: jaguar2490 | November 16, 2009 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Flounder21 you are absolutely correct; for Zorn to say "we benched him to give him a break" is disrespectful and also a part of the problem. Stop this "kid glove, politically correct" nonsense. Rogers play frequently stinks and Zorn should man-up and say that. No wonder these guys don't show up half the time. The most they have to fear is Zorn saying, "You guys missed a lot of tackles, but that is understandable because I know you will do better in the future." GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Posted by: sickofit3 | November 16, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

DID CARLOS GO TO COLLEGE? IF HE DID, DID HE ACTUALLY GO TO CLASS? I DON`T THINK HE KNOWS HOW TO ACTUALLY UTTER A CORRECT SENTENCE. HIS VERBAL ABILITY MATCHES HIS PERFORMANCE ABILITY. NOT ONLY CAN`T HE COVER, BUT HE HAS HANDS LIKE A DEFENSIVE TACKLE.
AFTER THEY TOOK HIM OUT..HE SAID(not a quote) HE NO LONGER PAID ATTENTION TO WHAT WAS GOING ON...GEEZ, WHAT A WASTE. HOPEFULLY HE WILL BE GONE AND HELP OPEN UP SOME CAP ROOM.
MAYBE DENVER WILL RE-SWAP CHAMP FOR CP.....

Posted by: blazerguy234 | November 16, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

It's not CR's fault the team drafted him #9. He's always been second/third round talent, at best. To me, his sketchy attitude goes along with his lack of football intelligence. He's always seemed lost, clueless. Let him go via free agency.

Posted by: chris_zz | November 16, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

bryanman8,

It's clear he meant no future with the Redskins. You sure your last name isn't Zorn? And his comments conferm he's not a team player. All fans stay focused on the prize:

BOYCOTT $NYDER-FIRE CERRATO-DUMP DONOVAN!
BOYCOTT $NYDER-FIRE CERRATO-DUMP DONOVAN!

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"He caught passes from quarterback Jason Campbell to help Campbell keep warm."

Carlor Roger cought passes, you expect me to believe that!?! He couldn't catch a pass with Bea Author's hands!

Posted by: Gary22 | November 16, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

If this is Carlos' last season, good riddance. He's an average corner with bricks for hands. Dude has the worse pair of hands in the history of the NFL. What does he have, 1 interception in his entire tenor here. Even that he caught in the craddle of his arms, barely. We need people with better attitudes. Still, those 2 long TD passes, to wide open receivers, from Kyle "freaking" Orton are inexcusable. And, we almost gave us a third. WTF!!! Where are the safeties? This win was as much luck as the Redskins turning the corner. Ron Landry needs to stop trying to make highlight films and play better fundamental ball. We need tougher coaches who will insist on disciplined play.

Posted by: jfoster13 | November 16, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"I really didn't pay attention." - Carlos Rogers

Talk about summing up your performance as a highly paid professional athlete. While the rest of the Redskins turned it up a notch and finally played a physical game, Rogers phoned in another performance.

Like the rest of us, you can be replaced, Mr. Rogers.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 16, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Rogers "caught passes from quarterback Jason Campbell to help Campbell keep warm."
--------------
First passes that ole Stone Hands has caught in years.

Posted by: shanks1 | November 16, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

dude is terrible anyhow.. good riddance.. can't catch, can't cover. and he's never culpable in his own mind either... c ya!

Posted by: unkonchus | November 16, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE , PLEASE RELEASE ROGERS THIS MORNING.HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE ON THIS TEAM. I DID SAY TEAM RIGHT ? CUT HIM AND MAKE HIS SORRY A** AN EXAMPLE!!!!

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | November 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

yeah he got burned, but smoot got burned the next time. And then De'angelo hall is out there playing 2-hand touch. The guy will avoid contact at any and all costs. Run to his side and you get 2 or 3 extra yards.

The Broncos missed on 3 mor big pass palys by either throwing late or not making the pass. Marshall was torching the skins most of the day.

Posted by: oknow1 | November 16, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Could have had DeMarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman, instead of that illiterate fool.

Posted by: timchadwick | November 16, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh Carlos, you make it TOO easy son...To destroy you with your own words wouldn't be fair so I'll just LOL and wish you well in your new endeavor: (Goose to Maverick in 'Top Gun' ' - Hey Mav, what's the name of that truck driving school...TruckMasters?)

Cya later 'Butter'...couldn't catch a cold much less an interception thrown right to you, can't tackle, can't cover and a pouter to boot. Good riddance...

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 16, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Duh, It's nothing new to me," Rogers said. "Duh, anything that happens around here ain't nothing new to me. Duh, I went through it last year. Duh, I was benched after the first half of the season I had. ... "Duh, I didn't really worry about it, and I'm not really going to think about it. Duh, I ain't even going to think about no future here."

Listen to him talk, you can tell Rogers is just a dumb player. He never did develop into a good corner. He cannot catch, cover or tackle. Rogers has ALWAYS been a waste of air out there. QB's have no fear throwing his way. The worst outcome is an incomplete pass. This benching was way to long in coming, but I am glad to see it happen. Look at how many points Denver scored after then took him out? Smoot may not have the speed like Rogers, but Smoot comes to play and does not get beat on double moves that often. Rogers gets beaten on every play. Like I said before, Rogers is just a dumb player. Never had it, never will....

Posted by: Rep1 | November 16, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

thats fuuny the article says CR was playing catch with JC it was also reported that CR never caught a pass because JC check down

Posted by: richardgovea | November 16, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richardgovea | November 16, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

what a half-a$$ed primadonna - he can't cover, can't tackle, and sure as hell can't pick anything off. Play the guys who are for the game and not the slackers who are here for the check. Carlos "The Underachiver" Rogers - my son doesn't even want to collect his football card - he's only 10 and thinks Rogers is a bust - way to go Mr Role Model.
Rogers whiffs on a regular basis, In the Eagles game, Rogers, D-Hall AND Landry all whiffed on tackling Maclin for a 60 yard gain - all had decent shots to get the guy, but showed no effort. It would be different if this was an isolated incident, but it happens time and time again These are the kind of players you don't need, you don't want, and shouldn't pay.

Posted by: whelms | November 17, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse