How's that Offensive Line Looking Now?

From Jason Reid:

Washington's offensive line supposedly was among the team's biggest problems as the season began.

The poor performance of the first-team offense in the last two games of the preseason prompted league observers and Redskins fans to question whether the line could pass protect or run block well enough to help Washington be productive on offense.

Well, through seven games, Clinton Portis leads the NFL with 818 yards rushing. Quarterback Jason Campbell often has applauded the offensive line for "doing a great job giving me time and opening those holes for Clinton and" backup running back Ladell Betts.

Despite the criticism they faced, Washington's offensive linemen were always "confident we'd get the job done," Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels said. "We all take a lot of pride in what we do. We just had to keep focusing on what we needed to do and take it from there."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 21, 2008; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers Getting Stronger -- and Better
Next: Portis and the Curse of 370

Comments

Our offensive line has to be FIRST in the league.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Health/Injury to this group is what held them from a better record last year. Although we need to continue to get younger, I like the play of this group. Kudos to CPs running, but these guys and Sellers are opening things up for him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 21, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I SECOND that T_E!

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The line looks great and it seems like Samuels isnt even playing at his highest level yet this year.

Posted by: 428Maverick | October 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Its just hard to gauge where a lot of elite college players stack up against one another at this point. Most teams have played 6, 7 games some like PSU have played 8 but of those a lot are gonna be cupcakes. The next few weeks and thru Nov will give a much clearer picture of how college players will be looked at.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

No need for a corner early next year. Our secondary has been extremely beat up this year and we've still held 5 of the top 10 offenses to season-low outputs. Not to mention the fact that outside of Springs, our secondary is by far the youngest unit on the team. The talk of a need for a CB in the draft is just as premature as it was last year when people wrote off Carlos Rogers as being done after (and even before) his injury.

The top needs from last year still remain this year -- offensive and defensive linemen. Both units have key players aging, and both units are the most important aspects of a team outside of the quarterback. Both should be re-upped prior to a drop-off, IMO hopefully getting a stud DT and another stud interior OLineman would significantly help avoid a "rebuilding" process for this team a year or two down the road. Seeing as how we only have a few picks anyway next season, I would draft straight across the lines.

Posted by: spizzle | October 21, 2008 2:11 PM

Posted by: spizzle | October 21, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Completely agreed Curzon. The OL is opening gaping holes and Caveman is blasting any remaining LB's. CP's running hard but this OL is paving the way. It's the first time in a few seasons they've remained healthy. And this is what this OL does...pound the rock! This is not a WC OL but rather an old Joe Gibbs smashmouth NFC East OL.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Also, Anyone heard anything else on Rhinehart? They don't need him now for sure but It'd be nice to know that he is progressing and looks like a future starter...hopefully.

Posted by: 428Maverick | October 21, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

7th!!!

Posted by: deadskin | October 21, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the draft, which for the record it is WAY too early to start talking about. My personal is that we're ok with CB, and that DL, and OL should be addressed. I've said before that perhaps Kendall walks after this year given his contract, and that Rhino slides into his spot, but there are some big-uglies coming out this year. UVA has for the third year in a row a top notch T, OK, has some HUGE cats on their line that can ball, same with OH. State.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Man Law Ruling Needed

Posted by: fanzak | October 21, 2008 1:45 PM |

No, you do not sit down. If everyone is standing up on a critical play when the team needs the home fans to 'try' and disrupt the play, you do not sit down.

At that moment in time I probably would have looked at him like was crazy, said nothing, and turn around and continue to stand and cheer........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

They definitely need to focus on both lines next April. Most especially the defensive line. I think the DT's are decent. Golston and Alexander are coming along pretty well. I think Griff has another season or two in him but they need some depth on the edges. Taylor is not MVP quality anymore and appears to be a poor fit in the run heavy NFC East. Carter is complimentary at rushing the QB but no sack master.

The OL has some depth now with Heyer backing up both tackles and the 3rd round pick this year backing up the guards and center. But they could definitely select another decent interior lineman to complement the other two.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Greg Monroe from UVA might be the guy your talkin bout. Hes a big boy 320 prolly project in the first round.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

+++Cork I was KIDDING!!! I hate the hater term.

jeesh....
Posted by: chrislarry +++
+++cork, cl was kidding.
Posted by: dealer1+++
Only a hater would kid about calling someone a hater. Actually, I’m kidding about haters hating, if that’s not being too critical.—CORK, NON HATER
+++maybe your a moron cork for being addicted to your own rhetoric that you don't even read....I usually defend you, but today you can live firmly on my bama list.
Posted by: chrislarry, HATER +++

I know, I know, you want me to call you schizophrenic, or point out that “your a moron” aint good English, but I’m MUCH too smart for that. And I know if you meant to insult me you’d have said I’m addicted to my own rhetoric “which is all I read” because as written, your comment makes no sense.

So I KNOW you’re kidding, right? Huh? I mean you like me, you REALLY like me!

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I had to encourage fans to stand and cheer at the end of the Browns game! They were sitting there like lumps of coal!! I got up and starting waving my arms (sort of like Campbell on the scoreboard...lol) to get up and make noise. Pathetic. Stay home if you're going to sit on your hands all game.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 21, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

stu, could be. Not sure of the name....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

While still nervous about JJ in protection, gotta give credit where credit is due, these guys are balling, we're smacking people in the mouth and they've got no answer. Even with concerns about JJ, portis can help him in pass protection and what you gain with JJ in the running game makes it worth the risk. As to the conversation about a draft need, corner is a need, but not a first round need, even if Springs leaves. Rogers is the number 1 corner on this team and he and Smoot provide us with a quality starting duo, if anything, we should sign some veteran depth, not starters, but depth. I think linebacker or defensive end is where we need to use are #1 this year. Truthfully, looking at this team and the picks they made last year, almost of this offseason/draft needs to be used on the defense, with the exception of finding some depth on the oline. If Jansen can transition to guard and replace Kendall, Heyer slides in at RT and our Oline keeps trucking, just need some help behind them, but we are going to lose a lot on the D. Springs, Washington, and Griffen are all probably gone. Horton was such a huge find that it saves us from having to look at safeties, we need help at LB and Dline though and need some depth at corner.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 21, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I've said before that perhaps Kendall walks after this year given his contract,

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 21, 2008 2:19 PM |

With Kendall's knees, he won't walk after this year. He'll have to wheelchair if he does anything. Sorry to see him go, but that's how he rolls.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

He's the left tackle. Theres some other names but its pointless trying to put a list together because you have a really meaty part of the college schedule still to be played. End of Nov start draft talk, end of Oct get some seasonal brews before they change to winter.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 21, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I got corkczared (posted after the beep) on a long post about roster building at the end of the previous thread. I don't feel like reposting. Thinking about it though, if the Skins DO have the honor of drafting late in the first round, then if someone with Samuels' skill set is available, then I say do that. Good OTs go early in the draft. There was a run on them this year. Feels like a deep chasm after Samuels/Jansen/Heyer (and I'm not completely sold on either of the last two to step in should something bad happen to Samuels).

Feels like guys like Samuels are only ever available with the first five or six picks ... which means you can only draft them after completely sucking the preceding season. So in a way, I'm hoping that a Samuels-level OT is not available to tempt the Skins.

The bottom line in my post in the previous thread is that its about offseason roster building overall, including free agency, and not just the draft.

My latest thought is that I really hope they figure out a new CBA b/c otherwise roster possibility chaos could follow.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

(Not to say that dcsween's asleep at the horn today, but I am on top of this thing)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the draft is far to far away to be talking about that, but I find DE to be the most important area to draft next year. Sen'Derrick Marks from Auburn, 6/2 295. He is killing it in the sec

Posted by: theFreshinAU | October 21, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Spizzle, although I believe we need to get a DE rather than an interior lineman. There's is a manchild comin out of Texas called Brian Orakpo...............I like

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 21, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse