Hunter Smith pleased with season debut

Hunter Smith punted only once last week -- Friday in practice -- but said he felt good in his season debut.

"I thought it was a real strong first game back," said Smith, who re-joined the Redskins on Thursday. "Not surprising to me because I've been working like I was still playing."

Smith had a busy game on Sunday. He punted eight times, averaging 44.6 yards per punt. More important, he put five of those punts inside the 20-yard line. For the sake of comparison, Josh Bidwell, who went on the injured reserve list on Thursday, averaged 41.7 yards a punt and placed only three of his 15 punts inside the 20.

Though Smith hadn't punted in a game -- or even an NFL practice -- since the Redskins' 2009 season-finale at San Diego, he said he felt no rust on Sunday.

"I've been getting ready for this," he said. "Even when training camp started, I told a bunch of guys that I worked out with, 'Well, guys, training camp starts today.' And I kind of went to my own camp."

Smith was also the holder for field goals against the Packers, which means he played a pretty important role in Graham Gano's 33-yard game-winner in overtime. Missing the first four weeks of the season apparently didn't affect Smith.

"After a while, you can kind of rely on your muscle memory and your experience," he said.

By Rick Maese  | October 10, 2010; 8:28 PM ET
Categories:  Hunter Smith
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins beat Packers 16-13 in OT
Next: Brandon Banks: 'I kind of grew up out there'

Comments

Favre pulled a "Sailisbury".

Epic.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 10, 2010 8:11 PM |

ESPN seems to attract the pervies don't they? Reynolds, Salisbury, Phillips, Kornholer. Who am I leaving out?

Posted by: PsyOps | October 10, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

injury report?

Posted by: WRBD | October 10, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Hunter the punter gave the Pack a long field today. Bye Josh Bidwell, even though I feel for his hip complications...

Devin Thomas should be signed by the Rams after Mark Clayton blowing out his knee today

Posted by: bernard_thompson | October 10, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh I only have to play the lottery, victory sundays have built in benefits for Mrs Pred.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 10, 2010 8:32 PM

She must have been pretty lonely last year.

Posted by: Diesel44

LOL, That wasn't right, man

Posted by: Predator48 | October 10, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

More sunday victory beeps

Posted by: Predator48 | October 10, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 10, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Why exactly was he cut again after last year? Dumb and Dumber move?

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 10, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Favre pulled a "Sailisbury".

Epic.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 10, 2010 8:11 PM |

Posted by: PsyOps | October 10, 2010 8:39 PM

Harold Reynolds actually won a lawsuit for wrongful termination and was awarded a LOT of money for it by ESPN. Harold is the one there that actually didn't do anything.

Posted by: Delore | October 11, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse