Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 12/15/2010

Hunter Smith: 'Shanahan wants to ... reshape and rebuild the culture'

By Jason Reid

Veteran punter Hunter Smith was released Tuesday after his role in the botched extra-point attempt in the final nine seconds of Sunday's 17-16 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Someone had to lose his job after what occurred, Smith said, and long snapper Nick Sundberg's high snap sailed through Smith's hands. Smith, who played for Indianapolis his first 10 seasons, had hoped to return to Washington next season, because he believes Coach Mike Shanahan will lead the organization back to prominence.

"Indianapolis did not necessarily have the history as a great organization that Washington has," Smith said in a phone interview. "But Washington has slumped into a place, just in the past several years, of not being a perennial playoff team. And that's not a matter of my opinion; that's a matter of statistics. What Coach Shanahan wants to do is reshape and rebuild the culture. I believe that he is the coach to do that."

The previous two seasons under former coach Jim Zorn, the Redskins went 12-20 with consecutive last-place finishes in the NFC East. With three games remaining, the Redskins are 5-8 in their first season under Shanahan.

"Obviously, the last two years have been disappointing, and this year ... it's kind of like the people who were expecting the Miami Heat to go undefeated this season," Smith said. "I'm not sure what everyone's expectations were of this season.

"But I can assure you, whatever their expectations were, reality is that you're going to have to put your nose to the grindstone and just start rebuilding. Rebuilding a culture, rebuilding personnel, and I would have loved to have been a part of that moving forward. But I am at peace with where things are going."

By Jason Reid  | December 15, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Hunter Smith
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth suspension: Union taking deliberate approach to appeal
Next: Graham Gano still kickin' -- at least for now

Comments

Not trying to be first, just the BEST.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I think Shanny will get it done. I think he will add a good reciever and also draft one and he will continue to rebuild the line through the draft or free agency. Also we all know that his offense has never been a problem in Denver it was always his defense so lets hope he makes the right decisions on that side of the ball.

Posted by: wattsicon | December 15, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

great, a vote of confidence from the ex-punter.

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

In fact Hunter, it's our 20th year of rebuilding... and counting.

Posted by: Redskinrex | December 15, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"But Washington has slumped into a place, just in the past several years, of not being a perennial playoff team. And that's not a matter of my opinion; that's a matter of statistics."

Might want to check those statistics, Hunter. The Skins haven't been a perennial playoff team in more than just the past several years.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"...reality is that you're going to have to....just start rebuilding."

Well said.

After back to back last place finishes, only a fool would try to 'win-now' once he took over.

But wait: Shanny sent draft picks packing in order to get a right tackle and quarterback in return.

So is he rebuilding or a fool who is trying to 'win-now'?

I say this season has educated the fool.

Moving forward, expect a rebuild centered around those players who had success this season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Not benched yet, McNabb booed at basketball game

Posted by Mike Florio on December 15, 2010, 9:59 AM EST

FOX’s Jay Glazer, who first raised the possibility that Rex Grossman could supplant Donovan McNabb as starting quarterback of the Redskins, reports that, for now, the Redskins are sticking with McNabb, for now.

And the fans may not be too happy about that.

Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post reports that McNabb was subject to an undetermined amount of booing at Tuesday’s game between the Lakers and the Wizards. Steinberg’s second-hand accounts peg the percentage of cheers to boos at anywhere from 70-30 to 50-50 to 40-60.

It’s a good thing that McNabb isn’t thin-skinned.

On Tuesday, rumors were rampant that the Redskins were considering using Rex Grossman at quarterback. We assumed that a final decision would be made based on this week’s practices. Glazer reported that, last week, Grossman and McNabb shared first-team reps at practice.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 15, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

But what does Shaun Shuisham think? Seriously, can we move on to another subject? It was a punter for goodness sakes.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Why are people in hear STILL worried about getting a Center in the 2nd round? That's just dumb. That's 'VINNY DUMB', except Vinny wouldn't have drafted an Offensive Lineman! Obviously G is the major need on the OL. We all know there are needs across the board, but you have to know the difference between the needs that we need NOW, and the needs that can wait. Here are the needs that need to be addressed this offseason:

G - Both spots, this is the BIGGEST need!

NT - Kemo, sucks, and Anthony Bryant should be decent as a backup, but a starter is needed. This is a close 2nd as need goes.

WR - Play-makers would make McNabb look like a ProBowler again.

FS - Kareem Moore couldn't catch a cold in the open field, and he gets injured too much, we need an upgrade. He's ok as a backup though.

OLB - This is the last of the needs. Orakpo can't do it on his own and needs someone to compliment him, but a dominant NT could colapse the pocket and help out some.

The following are the needs that can wait due to lack of draft picks and possible Free Agents:

C - I agree Rabach needs to be replaced, but he's a good locker room guy and can call out the blocking schemes and blitzes pretty well. Good Guards around him should help his play improve as well.

CB - We could let Rogers go, but as far as 'Cover Corners' go, he's pretty good. I would still like to pick up a CB this year, but he doesn't have to be starter quality, just someone to push Barnes/Buchanon a little.

ILB - We can let Riley learn on the bench, and Fletch is still playing at a high level. A decision on McIntosh is a different story. I say let him go, but he might be retained cause we have too many other issues to address.

DE - They might give Jarmon a chance here, and Golston has a high motor, plus we could do worse in Carriker. I'd like to see Daniels and Holliday let go and a role player signed in FA, not a big splash. Let's get NT settled first, then bring in a blue chip DE.

RT - It all depends on if Brown comes back healthier next year.

QB - We can afford to keep McNabb if we add people around him. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and let his relationship develop with the Shanahans and learn the offense more.

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Shanny needs to re-shape the coaching staff as well...new Oline coach and a new OC/play caller...

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 15, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

If Rex starts on sunday...I'm not sure what I'm going to do...

I could wrap up my holiday shopping

or

Sit back and enjoy the follies

Any suggestions?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 15, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow...so Wizards fans (who haven't seen winning basketball since the Carter administration) are now piling on McNabb? Why, because he gave Arenas his guns? Or injured John Wall? Geez...on a personal level, I hope McNabb DOES get to go to AZ...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Why are people in hear STILL worried about getting a Center in the 2nd round...Obviously G is the major need on the OL.

Usually, teams want a guy who can play guard and center or both tackle spots and guard.

Flexibility is more important than anything.

Having taken a left tackle last year, I'd roll the dice on a solid c/g type with the second pick (Pouncey-UF) or Auburn's Nick Fairly (DT).

Remember: we need offensive AND defensive linemen.

We really could use a 3rd rounder, but acquiring another 4th or 5th is more likely to occur.

My first pick?: Ryan Mallet, qb Ark.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 15, 2010 10:12 AM

He was just trying to be nice.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 15, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone defending anything regarding the Redskins in 2010 is a blithering idiot. They've sucked all season, from Snyder to the dude who replaces the urinal cakes at FedEx.

Brown, you fail to realize that MANY of those "Wizards fans" are also DIEHARD Redskins fans. You know, because most who like both football and basketball and have pro teams in their city usually ROOT for those teams. In this case it will be the Redskins [*vomit*] and the Wizards [*Dry Heave*]

It seems like you and a few others are in COMPLETE denial over McNabb's play this year. Now you're all sour over the fact that Wizards fans have booed McNabb. Hmm, gee, I wonder WHY? It can't be his play, nope can't be that. Not. At. All.

No, he isn't the problem, but he is a problem. And don't throw the stats my way, please. I was reading earlier somewhere today they're "lies, damn lies, and statistics" with the latter being the most misleading.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 15, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping Jason or Stein might track down Joe Theismann for his thoughts on it. If a holder is as rock-solid reliable as he was for many years with Mark Moseley, you never even think about it.

I think most fans can remember Joe T. holding for kicks in snowstorms or torrential rains. I don't recall him ever dropping a snap (though I don't know if they keep records on that). And of course he wouldn't stop talking if you asked him about it, so it'd be an easy blog post. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 15, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

red, agreed, he's not 100 percent to blame, but for example the bounce passes to wide open players, that just makes me grind my teeth...that CATEGORICALLY has to stop...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Things have to change from the TOP down the whole organization is a joke and pathetic the owner runs the team like hes ADD, unless he changes things will always be the same

Posted by: 4evaskinsfan | December 15, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

brown, why do you like the former EAGLE and one year rental mcnabb so much as an elite QB? he's a great person and I like him very much, but his days as a starting QB are numbered. just askin'

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

at some point im going to have to face my fears and say we need to draft a qb, b/c that's the franchise right there

but im all for o and d lines, but again we need to draft the right guys, don't go wasting picks on chad rhineharts and bamas like that

and more than anything that's what it comes down to, it doesnt matter who we draft, just as long as they pan out and become legit nfl players

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 15, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree with the article below. Fans expectations were way to high for this team.

Morning Commute: Why THIS Redskins Team Is Getting Booed
by Jordan Ruby • Dec 15, 2010 9:58 AM EST

Remember when members of the Washington Redskins were rock stars? If you saw one walking around the City, you would stand still in awe while briefly contemplating approaching them for an autograph before ultimately deciding that you weren't worth his time. Where did those days go?

Now, the Redskins can't even enjoy a night at the Verizon Center without getting booed, according to Dan Steinberg of the DC Sports Bog. When the Wizards showed Donovan McNabb and Mike Sellers on the big screen last night, there were Wizards fans (who are presumably Redskins fans as well) that booed them. There is some disagreement as to the ratio of boos to cheer, but that ultimately doesn't matter. The fact that there were boos at all is the most important thing here.

Has it really gotten this bad? The Redskins haven't exactly been contenders in the last few seasons leading up to this year, but I find it hard to believe that players would have been booed like this in the past. Why now? Why is this team rubbing people the wrong way more than they have in the past?

I think it's because there are people in the organization that represent winning but have been unable to make it work here in Washington. Donovan, Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen among others. These are guys who have been successful in previous stops but haven't been able to make this Redskins team any better. Maybe fans were expecting them to be better then they are, and now they are dissappointed, where as in the past they might have just been upset. There is a big difference.

If this was Jason Campbell sitting court side last year, I don't think he would have been booed like this. Nobody was expecting him to quarterback a winning team. The same can't be said about Donovan McNabb. He was supposed to bring wins with him from Philadelphia, but he brought only futility and drama. Maybe that's why he can't enjoy a night out these days.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 15, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Moe, Nick Fairley might not be around when we get our first pick. If he is, then we should take him.

I have a feeling that the Cam Newton hype machine will cause one of the other QBs to drop. My money is on Jake Locker.

My ideal scenario would be to be picking around #8, just ahead of Minnesota. I can see San Francisco finishing strong and ending up in the 10-12 range. SF would want to trade up to get Cam before the Vikings can. That way we could pick up another 2nd or 3rd to go along with the 2nd and 5th we get for Bounny McShortpass courtesy of Arizona (fingers crossed).

Then, we grab Julio Jones (Yep, I said it) with the SF pick and use two of our 2nd's to move back into the mid-late 1st and grab Pouncy. Our early second from AZ would be used on Locker, if he falls that far, or Ponder from FSU.

Before you go picking this scenario apart, please realize that I haven't looked at draft charts, point values and other geeky stuff like that and I'm just throwing this out for sh*ts and giggles, so humor me.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 15, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, the more I think the smart thing to do would be to start Grossman in the next game and then give Beck some playing time before the end of the season. Evaluating these guys under game conditions would be intelligent, the games are irrelevant as to playoff position, and it would help evaluate the other players around the QB's.

And the same time, I think it is also a good time to throw a few new plays into the game plan. Why wouldn't they at least try an unbalanced line? Why not line up five wide receivers? Why not try a two fullback backfield? Two HB's? Three HB's? Now's the time also to push the game plan envelope...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 15, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2010 10:59 AM

Bad news, Greg... I hope you have a really good dentist, because McNabb was known to bounce passes even during his best seasons.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 15, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

nice to see snyder finally getting slammed on this board.

over and out

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Any suggestions?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 15, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Get drunk and get ready to laugh!

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Red - Last nights crowd at the Wizards game were Kobe Fans 1st, LAker Fans 2nd, the Wizard Fans. And there are alot of Redskins fans who are not Wizard fans. A whole lot.

I would say the usually proportionate amount of fans last night would have been less Redskins than usual because of the Kobe effect.

That being said, I think the ones that were booing prob were Skins fans and showing their displeasure of the season in general vs it being just at McNabb....

I still advacate keeping McNabb atleast one more year, while Cam Newton is learning the offense.....maybe 2 years even....

But with the 7th - 10th pick, we should be able to still get him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 15, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Booing players during a game when their play deserves it is one thing, but booing them outside of game time is low class. Now they can’t go out in public without getting boo’d? That’s freakin’ weak and embarrassing.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 15, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

rsh, been asking for that for WEEKS now...lets find out if Austin/Cook/Jarmon/Young/Davis can make plays on the regular....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | December 15, 2010 11:00 AM

First of all, stop putting words in my mouth...I haven't now or at any other time said McNabb is an elite QB. I'm picky with that label and to me, only Manning, Brady and Brees hold that title (and I might be willing to listen to a case for Rivers). That's it. That's the list. So don't mistake my support of McNabb as some sort of thumbs up for his play or inflated sense of his place in the starting QB pecking order because it's not.

I like McNabb for the same reasons I liked Jason Campbell: 1) he's a nice guy of quality character being put in an impossible situation and handling it about as well as can be expected. And 2) he's our starting QB. If he succeeds, the Redskins succeed. Can't break it down much simpler than that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow -- I checked in here and thought for a second it was 2008 and I was on the Philadelphia Inquirer message board. The McNabb critics are absurd.

The guy DID get the ball in the endzone on a last-minute drive to tie the TB game, didn't he? Its been a while since someone other than #5 did that in a Redskins uniform, hasn't it. He didn't botch the snap or the hold on the PAT, right? He didn't miss TWO chip-shot FGs in the game that would have lead to a victory, did he?

Some say they don't believe in stats, but the fact is that #5 is on pace to throw for more yards this season than ever before in his career. He has thrown a TD pass in 12 straight games, for crying out loud! No Redskins QB has done that since Joey T in '84. #5 is not THE problem, nor is he A problem.

I grant you that he is not going to get it done all by himself, but few in the NFL can. And that is not the way to win the SB anyway (think Marino).

Posted by: manlius1 | December 15, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

O_trod

And I'd have no prob with that.

(And I like the logic that a quarterback might fall into the top of round 2--it would be better to take one then: excellent point!)

Folks have been watching Auburn's Cam Newton all season--and with good reason.

But solid football fans should notice that Fairley is a stud defensive linemen.

That dude beasted out in the SEC Championship game.

Both Newton and Fairley might go in round 1.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 15, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like pabrian2003 and his friends had a good time at the Wizards game!

Posted by: monk811 | December 15, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 15, 2010 10:52 AM

First of all, no need to explain to me that Wiz fans can also be Skins fans...I fancy myself both, although I've soured on the NBA over the last decade.

Second, I defend McNabb because the REAL "blithering idiots" up here act like the team's problems start and finish with McNabb and that's about as misguided a view as there is. Yes, he's inaccurate at times. Yes, he's blown some games with his play. But everybody knew this guy was a streaky passer going into this marriage, so the least you could do is put a line in front of the guy. Streaky/inaccurate passer + porous O-line - steady rushing attack = disaster. Simple math...

I just don't get why so many people can't judge a player anywhere between "amazing" and "sucks". Let some up here tell it, every QB in the league sucks not named Manning, Brees, or Brady. McNabb has been mediocre this year, but to say he "sucks" is plain stupid.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

As a frequent boo-er, I feel I deserve the right to BOO whenever I see the following people:

--the jets' strenght coach

--Cris Collingsworth

--Jimmy Johnson, not the race car driver

--the blonde dude in the playstation commercials

--John McClain

--Josh Beckett

--the entire ESPN footbll production team

--Dane Cook

--Oprah (she won't return my calls or remove that restraining order)

--whoever Nicki Minaj is

--crappy pop music preformed by a half-naked woman named Gaga (yeah, she reallymakes you want to gag)

--A Rod (yeah, I'm a yanks' fan and hate the guy)

--finally, anything that resembles a pair of red stockings on a baseball uniform

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2010 11:27 AM

RI is not a place for subtle distinctions. Everything is either black or white, good or bad, great or suck. Your post is great, but you can't sign it brownwood. Have to go with blackwood or whitewood.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 15, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | December 15, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'd boo the sh*t out of some Ke$ha

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 15, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse