Prepare To Sweat at FedEx

It's hot out here. Like really hot. This is gonna be a battle of attrition. If one team can establish the run early and out-muscle itstheir opponent, it will be difficult for a defense not to wilt in the second half. It's mid-90s and muggy.

Chatted with my man Jared The Tailgate King on my way into the stadium a while back - it's become something of a gameday ritual for me - and he was a little worried about this match-up. Shutting down Shockey and Bush (or is it Bush and Shockey? Sounds like a poorly written cop drama, eh?) won't be easy.

Will be watching Marcus Washington and Rocky McIntosh closely (assuming Marcus plays). Jason Taylor will obviously be a factor one way or the other.

I'll be popping in and out throughout the game, and posting more pre-game as well. (On a related note, should you happen to play the video of The Jasons from the previous post, please pay special attention to the left collar of my shirt. I've got like a Count Chocula thing going on. It's pretty annoying. Maybe we could create some kind of drinking game around it).

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 14, 2008; 12:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Buck Ortega and Sean Taylor
Next: Redskins-Saints, after One Quarter

Comments

GREAT. YOU BEEP-BEEP ME JUST TO GIVE THE WEATHER REPORT? I DON'T CARE. I'M REPOSTING, AND MAYBE FIRST

+++It's ok, we drafted 3 guys to catch the ball, everything is fine....
Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 14, 2008 12:11 PM+++

Yes three receivers drafted and 8 mil in cap room spent on a sore-footed, bum-kneed 244-pound 34-year-old Samba Artist, so there's little cash available for replacements.

Tuna must be drooling. That second rounder he finagled from the skins is looking like a low first rounder.

Two worst franchises in the NFL? Right now it's the Raiders and the Redskins. The Raiders have a clueless owner calling the shots and about to boot his inexperienced coach.
The Redskins have a clueless owner calling the shots and looking west and going, "Gee Al, maybe I'll try that."

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 14, 2008 12:22 PM

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 14, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar

Couldn't agree more! I keep hoping D. Snyder will go off on a world-wide trip for a few years and leave everything to capable hands, but then I awaken to the same old sh*t we've had the last decade or so.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 14, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"early and out-muscle itstheir opponent... "

"Will be watching Marcus Washington and Rocky McIntosh closely (assuming Marcus plays)..."

"Maybe we could create some kind of drinking game around it)...."

By Jason La Canfora | September 14, 2008; 12:35 PM ET

In that there IS no such thing as an "itstheir" opponent, and in that Marcus Washington is inactive and CAN'T play. which was reported here on the last thread, I can only assume Jason has ALREADY created a drinking game. Them cool ones sure do go down easy when it's hot n' humid, right Jasno?

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 14, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey that wasn't me beeping!

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

+++Hey that wasn't me beeping!

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 12:32 PM+++

Check with Jason "Drinking Game" La Canfora.... Dude's gonna blow his mortgage money on those overpriced FedEx beers...

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 14, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

+++Another person for whom HD was NOT made: Kenny Mayne, the Mayne Event (very yellow teeth)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 12:34 PM+++

An thus the term "A face not designed for Hi Def" joins "A face for radio" in th lexicon of on air TV Talent.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

OK, I need some advice from you western RI bloggers. I'm in Hawaii this week and next for the Skins games. I've taped my ankles, and have my blackout under the eyes. Here's my predicament... It's not even 7am here. Do I start my tailgating now, or wait until te second half?

By the way, Skins game is not televises out here, so keep me informed on what is happening. I'm counting on you.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 14, 2008 12:42 PM

Posted by: frediefritz | September 14, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 14, 2008

I for one am glad that you are suffering. When someone continues to stand on the edge of the abyss and see only darkness, and then continue to preach that same darkness to those who know what the abyss is yet refuse to stand there without hope, then that person deserves all of the suffering they bring on themselves.

Is there no bright side in your world?

Enjoy your suffering but please stop bringing it to the rest of us, especially on game day!

Posted by: another anon | September 14, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I did the triathlon anyway and I've finished in time to get a good seat in front of the TV.

My triathlon's not like you wisses who think it's "bacon, eggs, hashbrowns." I did the real deal: shower, shave, brush my teeth. Now I'm ready for some fooball.

At half time I'm gonna extend it to the pentathlon: spray on deodorant, and get dressed.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Man, Jimmy Johnson just lit into Zorn, Snyder and Cerrato on the pre-game show. No holds barred. Sounds like he's been reading the blog -- corkie, longsuffering, zpfr2 -- that part of the blog. I don't mean he's just "reading the blog." I mean he's reading it aloud for everyone to hear.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It's "eggs, bacon, hashbrowns". Were you raised by wolves?

Plays. Make 'em.

Posted by: SMACK | September 14, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"My triathlon's not like you wisses who think it's "bacon, eggs, hashbrowns."

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 12:47 PM+++

I'm thinking it's "Vodka, OJ, Ice" and T-E has joined Jason in his drinking game.

Okay, off to watch some fubbal.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 14, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Freddy, you haven't purchased chocolate Pop Tarts, official snack this season of Redskins Insiders?

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Johnson is an A-HOLE, But he sure does have nice hair!

Posted by: cosmofla | September 14, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I'm saying this game is still winnable. We're not out of it yet.

Yuck. What a crappy broadcast team. I'm turning off the sound and sitting here and reading Corkczar's play-by-play. A little color commentary from SMACK, cload, stumped would be welcome counterpoint.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

OK guys, I need to depend on you to keep me updated on the game today. Not on where I am at so you help is needed.

Going to try watching on channelsurfing.net but don't know how that will work.

Thanks!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 14, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Curzon,

When i've been in your sad situation, NFL.com had a good play-by-play.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

It's even worse than I thought, all I get there is audio.

Thanks TE, have that page open also.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 14, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

WOOOO Let's Go Redskins!

Effin great we have dingdong brian baldinger. Why does the league/fox/the gods hate us so very very much?

Alright here we go!

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Curzon,

Zorn's wearing blue sunglasses. What do you think that means?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Third and long...jeez, this gets old.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I am not a fan of the blanco on blanco. . . not even close to black and maroon.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Why does the league/fox/the gods hate us so very very much?

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:03 PM

You'd think after Zorn went mountain biking with Bush that Fox would give us any announcers we want, plus a 14-point advantage and Joe Gibbs as a referee.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:06 PM

LOL - yeah with St. Joe as ref we could call 4 timeouts in a row.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL - yeah with St. Joe as ref we could call 4 timeouts in a row.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:08 PM

Right. He'd let us have the ones that we didn't use last week.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

But they converted...as Maske says, they should be able to move and score on this defense.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Do mine eyes deceive me or was that a rookie WR who just made a catch? And for a first down? And we have 3 first downs?

Be still my beating heart.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Woot a Kelly sighting

Posted by: Mofass | September 14, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Lloyd just ran a blocked punt in for a TD?!

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

THE RECEIVER SCORING POINTS

Posted by: BIG B | September 14, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Can Suii hiy a 48 yarder?

Posted by: Mofass | September 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

All for naught. Let's see what the D's got this week.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, David Patten hasn't gotten a haircut since he left here.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Many continue to want to argue with me over 2 issues....Once again Campbell killed a drive...He over threw a wide open El...then with pressure up the middle he hold the ball too long by once again pumping the ball......

Second...I have been saying in here for a year and half we need a new kicker...but everyone says Swishy is the man.....

And he misses yet another kick and wastes a failed Campbell drive with no points...

But I'm sure some will still argue.

Posted by: Leevi | September 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sonny said JC had him open.
Easy throw, should have completed it.

Then Sonny said they will continue to blitz.
Translation:
No one in NFL respects JC until he does something to burn a secondary.

Brandon Lloyd scores TD already in Chicago

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I knew it would start like this, I just knew it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd had to score sometime; just like a blind pig finding an acorn in the slop.

Posted by: Realness | September 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

That was a very very poor use of a timeout.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Was there some kind of concern on the Skins sideline that we wouldn't use our TOs in first half like last week?

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

HELP! I'm stuck in Miami and can't watch the game. And there's no sound coming from the ESPN radio. I tried clicking on their help link, but it was worthless--just told me to upgrade Windows Media Player (not the problem).

Can anyone provide a fix so I can listent to the game???

Posted by: jakeweed | September 14, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Smart play by Brees to chuck the rock (like the lingo?) since Griffin was offsides.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Defense sounds good. With the exception of the offsides

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 14, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Bush is better on pitches and tosses to the outside and catching the ball in space. F u Shockey!

Posted by: Realness | September 14, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Love that the play by play couldn't call it.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Finally the ball rolls our way.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Who was it predicted the 3-2 final? These teams might not get there.

Posted by: SMACK | September 14, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else bemused by the Gates/Seinfeld ads? Is Vista that bad . . . . wait I can answer that.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice play by Horton. Filling in for Doughty, he scooped up Shockey fumble.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

But I'm sure some will still argue.

Posted by: Leevi | September 14, 2008 1:17 PM

You're too predicatable and boring to argue with. Where were you when Campbell completed three passes for first downs? Where were you when Suisham made two FGs last week? Where were you when he put all his KOs into the end zone last week? You only come around when you can say something bad.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

WOOO! That play hasn't worked in years!

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Skins look about 70 percent better than they did Sept. 4.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

THEY USED THEIR THIRD TIMEOUT AND IT'S STILL THE FIRST QUARTER.
caps=outrage

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

WOW! 3 to's in the 1st....

Posted by: Realness | September 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

So the end around works both pre and post Al Saunders but not during. Anywhere to watch this thing online?

Posted by: bangkokben | September 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

caps=outrage

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:33 PM

LOL Cyn

Maybe they think it's 3 TOs per quarter.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

three timeouts in first quarter?
Not even Gibbs 2.0 did that !!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 14, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

How many TO do we have left?

Got nothing, just the audio on espnradio.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 14, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Once again, they're about two yards short of the first down on a completion.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone, a little help....anyone...?...Bueler?...Bueler??? Come on, am I the only one who can't watch this game on tv????

Posted by: jakeweed | September 14, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

How many TO do we have left?

Got nothing, just the audio on espnradio.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 14, 2008 1:36 PM

We have three left. Unfortunately, we can't use them until the second half. And forget challenging a bad call until the second half.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Zorn usually calls good plays as he was a NFL QB. Can we execute???

Posted by: Realness | September 14, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Curzon - they have zero timeouts left. 2 called by offense and one by defense in first quarter. . .ugh

But we did put 3 points on the board so that is something.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

All the time the Saints D is spending on the field is bound to play dividends in the second half.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 14, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:37 PM

On the bright side, we can't ice the kicker twice in a row in the first half. :)

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 14, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:37 PM

Double crap TE! I didn't even think about that. Oh well.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, how did you get the audio on ESPN radio?????

Posted by: jakeweed | September 14, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

But we did put 3 points on the board so that is something.

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:38 PM

Is it possible to buy a timeout with one of the points, or is that only in pre-season junior college ball?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

V. v. excited about the "all-new 'Prison Break'"...if it's all new, is it not about prison breaks anymore?

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Sonny just said not good execution at all on that third down.
Did anyone notice why Sonny would have said that? Did JC miss someone open?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 14, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Horton Hears a Hoo!

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

WOOOO Christ Horton INT from deflection of Brees pass! WOOOO!

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Chris Horton comes up with another turnover, this one an interception. Think Reed Doughty gets his job back?

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, how did you get the audio on ESPN radio?????

Posted by: jakeweed | September 14, 2008 1:39 PM

I had to restart IE. Started working after that.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 14, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

When you watch rookies like Horton contributing you realize how bad the last draft was. Wait, maybe I need to rethink that?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Christ" Horton, sfskin? Don't you think that's taking it a little too far, even if the guy's having a great game?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 14, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wait you use IE? Well that is your first problem...

Posted by: Geek Squad | September 14, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

cindy, it's still about breaking out of prison but they're actually working with the law to bring down "THE COMPANY"...

what can be done for JC to look at the whole field and not lock in on one receiver and one side of the field?

Posted by: dealer | September 14, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

jesus got nothing on Horton.

Posted by: Christ Horton | September 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

why sign a player from the worst team in the league? oh yeah we signed lloyd a few years back

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

cooley got dinged on that one...

Posted by: dealer | September 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Supposedly you could watch the game here:

of course my connection is crap so can't get it

Posted by: bangkokben | September 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

SKINS!!

Posted by: W | September 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

TOO many threes...

Posted by: W | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | September 14, 2008 1:43 PM

Some of the Redskins cheerleaders need to flash the Saints so they take their eyes off Campbell?

Man, I don't know. If you and I notice, I'm sure the Saints do too.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL Nate.

On the other hand, 2 turnovers in a a few minutes that lead to actual points (even if only FGs) is well frankly a bit miraclous.
: )

Posted by: sfskin | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the problem was with Internet Explorer. Sound coming through fine on Google browser. Screw Microsoft! Hail!!!

Posted by: jakeweed | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with portis.. this run blocking sucks.... i get tired of look at other nfl games and the backs have big holes to run through..

Posted by: Cocodc | September 14, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Leevi,

How about coming back with some more of your Suisham hate?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | September 14, 2008 1:43 PM

Man, I don't know. If you and I notice, I'm sure the Saints do too.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM

------------------------

Webster's New Millenniumâ„¢ Dictionary of English - Cite This Source - Share This
Main Entry: peripheral vision
Part of Speech: n
Definition: the capacity to see side or fringe areas when one is looking ahead; one's vision using only the outer edges of one's retina

He's always lacked this ability; work on it in practice and while playing Madden and work on it. Or cut/trade him and play Collins or Colt who can already do that.

Posted by: Realness | September 14, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

But I'm sure some will still argue.

Posted by: Leevi | September 14, 2008 1:17 PM

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 1:28 PM

That's not true at all....and you used to say I drank too much "koolaid" now you say the opposite...so you are also predictable. At least I stand my ground...You always flip flop and change your mind all the time. How come we can't discuss our opinions....why do you always come at people with insults and talk down to them. Why not just discuss and give valid points and use this for what it is...a blog...where we can express our emotions and opinions about what we see.. No need for insulting tones..because you disagree with someone.

Still enjoy your posts Talent :)

Posted by: Leevi | September 14, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Awesome..Now werew talkiin Ride the horse baby....Nice drive. Bad int on the 2 point...but ya have to go for it there...nothing to lose

Posted by: Leevi | September 14, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse