'Brady Rule' Will Prohibit Lunging at QBs' Knees

In my earlier entry about rule changes, I did not mention the "Brady Rule" because I wanted to add a few quotes to what I wrote. But I'm still waiting on calls, so I'll explain it briefly and possibly update the entry later.

Starting this season, defensive players on the ground during a passing play no longer are permitted to lunge at a quarterback's knees and make contact with their helmet or shoulder. Players are permitted to swipe at the quarterback's knees with their arms; lunging, however, would result in a penalty.

Defenders must return to their feet to make a play. The league adopted the rule in response to the season-ending hit Tom Brady took in the Patriots' season opener last year against the Chiefs.

By Jason Reid  |  August 7, 2009; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth, Portis, Moss to Sit Out Scrimmage
Next: Haynesworth, Portis, Moss to Miss Scrimmage

Comments

Fine
Interesting
Rule
Saves
Tendons

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 7, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

How many seasons will it take for quarterbacks to be just be given flag and stop the contact on them all together. These rules ruin the game.

Posted by: timchadwick | August 7, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

No wonder cheerleading is the most dangerous sport, contact sports are getting less and less contact allowed.

Posted by: SAK2 | August 7, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

don't like this rule. not happy that Brday got hurt, but I expect to see guys fighting to make plays. Plus, its pretty rare that a DL is going after a QB without an OL or RB pushing him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 7, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

allowing not getting

Posted by: SAK2 | August 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

How come Brady get his own rule? I believe he already owns the "Tuck" rule. I've got my own Brady rule, I call it the Panzi rule. It consists of not supporting teams that have PANZIES as quarterbacks.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | August 7, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

This says Bridges has played more games at tackle than at guard.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse
From your link:
He earned playing time on a “young and hungry” Arizona Cardinals club and started 11-of-21 games at left and right guard.

Then he headed back east to Carolina where he started 28-of-41 games, mostly at right tackle, for the Panthers.

sooooooo
11 games at guard, for the panther 14 of 28 were at tackle....so of the 39 games he's started......do you need help with the math?

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 7, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

And to the other guy, Bridges was drafted as a guard, has 14 starts out of 39 at tackle, the rest at guard, which do you think he's better suited for? You and Bean should put down the kool-aid for a second and actually take a look at this team and realize we are in dire shape on the oline. If Samuels goes down again our season is screwed before it starts, if Rhino doesn't take major steps forward we're in real trouble, and if Bridges is playing tackle for us this year that's not a great thing.....plz just stop swallowing the company line from Ashburn whole of thinking everything is just fine..nothing to see here...we have lot's of talent...and look at the facts. This same line completely fell apart last year (and Heyer was playing during that) with the only change they brought back dockery to the one position (LG) that wasn't a problem and they still have no competent backups......it aint a good situation folks and after decade of stupid choices haven't ya'll learned by now not to believe what they say???

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 7, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Its not about Bridges, its not about Heyer, its not about Williams. I like Heyer and hope he has improved. Bridges seems like the only competent backup on our team's line so I love his signing, Williams was low risk high reward gamble....but to stop now is idiotic, if they weren't going to draft lineman, then we need at least two more competent guys in camp....right now we're one injury away from having a worse line than last year and that's hard to believe...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 7, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 7, 2009 4:39 PM

I dunno if you're talking to me, but I'm not far from a Kool-Aid drinker (farther than you are from maintaining your shti together). Also, if you clicked the link, it said Bridge started at RG or LG 11 times for the Cards and RT 28 times for the Panthers. And, no, I don't need your math help to figure out that he started only 39 games. But your point was that he played guard more than he played tackle. Do you need help with the frothing of your mouth?

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

who said bridges started 4 games at tackle, zj......lets take baby steps here....see if you can get that question right....who made that statement...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Correction: I am farther from being a Kool-Aid drinker than you are from completely losing your shti in a mad rage fueled by rageahol. If you kept up today, you'd see I've been saying the same thing all day.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

SJK

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Also, this should not be called the Brady rule. Its only called the Brady rule b/c Brady would pssi and moan if it wasn't. This should be called the Carson Palmer rule for the wild card game against the Steelers were Kimo von Olsomething took Palmer out in the first series (allowing the Steelers to move onto the Super Bowl).

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

sween meet Jack. Jack meet sween. Apparently sween you have never conversed with Jack. Jack hates cursing and dirty talk on the blog but will threaten to bust your head open if you get him riled.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 7, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

The NFL is idiotic for constantly changing rules every off-season, to try and stop injuries. They do this every year, adding new rules, while randomly ignoring old ones, just because a superstar got hurt on a freak play.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | August 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The Carson Palmer rule:

[I'm looking at this link and its says photo #12 ... but when looking at it, it was supposed to photo #13.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

What kind of rule is this?? If a defensive player is on the ground next to Brady, they're to politely standup, say, "excuse me, sorry, suh", and politely throw him to the ground by his shoulderpads (acceptable behaviour)..All this so that he and Saint Cheeze in NY can kiss on the cover of GQ??

Posted by: frak | August 7, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Man, these QB's are pussycats without the cats!

Posted by: tony325 | August 7, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

After seeing the Youtube of Willis McGahee's knee in the Miami game, I had thought that was the nastiest injury. Buyt on that NY Daily News site, they didn't get the nasty shot of McGahee's knee. The NEXT one, however, is now the nastiest I've seen (some guy on Alabama). Jansen's ankle twist also was right up there for nasty.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Photo #17, Tyson Prothro.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This is just BULL#$%&!!!So gay,mind as well give them flags and avoid contact period...

Posted by: hanimal03 | August 7, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hanimal03 | August 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Sarcastically put, maybe NFL should include offensive line, running backs, tight-ends, and wide receivers in the rule. Since when did the NFL become gentle-ladies game, this is an impact game, and if you can't take the "hit" get out of the field. Romo, Eli, Donavan, get ready to get clobbered.

Posted by: abxinc | August 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Ridiculous. Pollard was going for a sack, the blocker was taking him down and he hit Brady's knee at the exact wrong moment (planted). If you have guys running around trying to tackle each other, those injuries are going to happen.

Posted by: manifested | August 7, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"They should just put a skirt on the quarterback..."

~ Jack Lambert

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 7, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

THETRUTH POCKETS KNOWLEDGE

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 7, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I think Jack said that in response to the new no-tearing-the-head-off-the-QB-rule, circa roughly 1978.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 7, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Its funny how a bunch of guys who never played in the NFL will call NFL quarterbacks wimps just because of these rules. I have no problem with the rules. I think they're mostly to prevent cheap shots on QBs and receivers when they're defenseless.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | August 7, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392 | August 7, 2009 5:52 PM

What part of "it takes one to know one" don't you understand, Mr. Tough Guy? I say they're WIMPS, and I welcome them to our circle.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but what Lambert was really geeked about was that the new rule did not allow him to P**s in the QB's skull, after he tore his head off

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

This rule is the biggest crock of crap, this rule was only implemented because it happened to Tom Brady and he was lost for the year. Tough S&*T! F#%k Tom Brady!

Would this rule have been implemented if the same thing happend to say, Tavaris Jackson? HELL NO!

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 7, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392
_________________________

Crybaby

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 7, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Cleveland Browns guard Rex Hadnot was carted off the practice field Thursday after suffering a possible serious injury to his left knee.

Hadnot, who started 15 games for the Browns last season, got hurt while pass blocking during team drills. The 6-foot-2, 320-pounder was engaged with defensive lineman Louis Leonard when rookie linebacker David Veikune got pushed into the outside of Hadnot's left knee.

Back to the Pete Kendall discussion. Supply and demand at work. After all, there isn't a lot of 'supply' of guards who've started 32 straight games and played pretty well ...

And, it would appear, we can now add Cleveland to the 'demand side' of the equation.

Seems every day that passes, Pete Kendall's value goes up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 7, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

One wonders why Belichick ever had to cheat when the friggin refs are steady wrapping boy wonder in a lemon scented rule book.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 7, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 7, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Seems every day that passes, Pete Kendall's value goes up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 7, 2009 6:09 PM

Yes, and every day that Rinehart plays and gets better, his value goes up. This is going on all over the league right now and when the rosters get cut there will be a supply glut, including a bunch of guys as good as Kendall.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 7, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

that's 2 rules made especially for Brady. I declare shennanigans.

although, lunging at a qb's knee could cause hamstring pulls and everyone knows only the redskins pull hamstrings

1st string, 2nd string, hamstring

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 7, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

All this O-line hand-wringing for nothing. Once the season gets under way and Campbell's running for his life (again), we can always just sign Shawn Alexander or T.J. Duckett to help out again. Sure, they may not be much help on the O-line, but think of all the jerseys they'll sell!

Signed, Snyderatto-Sh*t-Fer-Brains

Posted by: hogmeister | August 7, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Really? A bunch of guards who started the last 32 games in a row are going to be available when teams start cutting players.

Just a bunch of guards waiting to be cut that have started all but 3 games in the last 5 years. Guys that allowed fewer sacks than either Steve Huchison or Alan Faneca, both Pro Bowlers at the same position last season.

I didn't realize there would be an oversupply of these types of guys.

My bad.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 7, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the League would have enacted this rule if the starting QB for the Lions (whoever that is) had been lost for the season on the same type of play?

Posted by: richie_sheppard | August 7, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

zeke,

Step in from the ledge before you do something rash. There are 32 NFL camps, and Kendall wasn't invited to one of them. Why do you think that is?

I think it's because 32 teams think that there are better prospects -- that Kendall, who can't practice with the team on Wednesdays -- doesn't have another year left in him. So, I think that if the 'Skins need another guard they have better prospects from the men that these 32 teams let go than they do with Kendall.

How did your gf's photo exhibit go last night? The woman knows what to do with her camera, and you sure know how to hand it to her.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 7, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"serious" seems like such an unnecessary adjective. Does this mean that there are funny injuries out there? Well, I do admit I chuckled when I heard about Brady's injury, but that was only funny because so many people took him in the first round of their fantasy football league draft.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | August 7, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

T_E, Phhewwww ... talked me down on that one.

Just about 1/2 of the starting OL spots in the league didn't have 16 game starters. Injuries are inevitable and Kendall was a decent OL last year. Better than average on sacks, solid with the run. Just don't try to run a sweep with him and for goodness sakes, don't let him run with the ball.

If I was Kendall, I'd wait until I found a situation where I offered a really good value. It'll happen. Some team with realistic playoff hopes loses a guard to injury -- and they have untested depth. Kendall's worth a bunch to a team in that situation. And that situation happens most every year.

If I have a one year problem at guard, Kendall would be very high on my list. If I have a long term problem ... he's not the guy to call.

The Skins appear to have both a one year issue and long term issue ...

As for the event yesterday -- pretty good. Though when I took some pics of her, they were out of focus. I'm always better off handing her the camera ...

And for those who want to check out a very fun photo site ... photofunia.com. One of the best sites on the web. Trust me.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 7, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I fully expect now to see linemen and other blockers (TEs, RBs) to try an cut block D-linemen so they now can't lunge or attempt to get the QB w/o a flag.

The result? More D players will be getting hurt.

NFL's response:
D-linemen hurt- ok

Prettyboy Tom Brady hurt- create new rule.

And again, if the NFL was going to change rules why didn't they do it when Carson Palmer had a similar hit happen to him after the 2005 playoffs.

Posted by: nwoking | August 8, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"This is going on all over the league right now and when the rosters get cut there will be a supply glut, including a bunch of guys as good as Kendall.
Posted by: talent_evaluator"

I suspect that if we sign Kendall, he'll play OK if called upon, and if we don't, we won't miss him all that much.

He's at that stage of his career.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 8, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse