In Portis v. Landry, Take Landry

Paul Tenorio reports:

After the "Without a Trace" drama of tight end Fred Davis, who missed the final minicamp practice because of what Jim Zorn called an "I screwed up" incident, I thought the RI Nation could use a distraction from the fact that one of the team's second-round draft picks flaked out on his third day of work.
Enjoy.
It was just a simple play: A screen pass to running back Clinton Portis. But when Portis reversed field to try to beat the defense and starting safety LaRon Landry had an angle on him and ran him down, the friendly jawing started.
The trash talk continued into the locker room and soon bets were placed. So the two stars headed back outside for a 40-yard race to end the speculation.
"We just was in the locker room and betting on it," Portis said. "I didn't want him to think ..... you know, I was running sideways and he ran me down and 'ooohhh,' you know what I'm saying. Don't think you got it, bro."
The two jogged down to a practice field, and with teammates gathered on a hill to watch and Zorn still being interviewed up near the main building, the race was on.
Portis jumped to an early lead, but Landry had a late kick and seemed to win in a photo finish, much to the delight of the crowd of players.
"Oh, LaRon won, LaRon won," cornerback Fred Smoot shouted. "You know the defensive backfield, we knew we were going to win, that's why I put out my money there. Clinton got the burst, but [Landry is] a defensive back and we used to chasing people. He had to go get him and that's what he did."
As he walked inside, Smoot summed up best what must have been in the back of everybody's mind as they watched the race.
"And we ain't got no pulled hamstrings neither," he shouted.
As Portis started to address the media, Landry headed over to make sure everyone knew whom he thought was the victor.
"About the 25-yard line I came straight up looking at the sky cause I knew I was gonna win, you still down trucking. Come on, man," Landry said to Portis, who doubled over in laughter.
"If he want to feel like he won, he can feel like he won," Portis said. "We gonna keep running until it's just hands down [that] I won it."
Zorn said he didn't see the race.
"They had to prove something," Zorn said. "In fact after that [screen] play, Clinton came into the huddle, he wasn't supposed to be in on that play and he said, 'What's the play?' He wanted something, something that he could show his stuff again. But he had to get out ..... the play wasn't going to him anyway."
Portis joked that he hoped the sprint would count as an organized training activity, but Zorn laughed and said that wouldn't fly.
"Nope," Zorn said. "He was on his own, that was strictly voluntary."
Zorn also said he wasn't surprised Landry won.
"Landry's fast," Zorn said. "I wasn't surprised because of what I saw out [on the practice field]. I saw the acceleration. They'll race again. I bet it's not over."
Now, let's see Landry try to out-talk Portis.

By Cindy Boren  |  May 4, 2008; 1:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Davis Misses Day 3 (Updated)
Next: This 'n' That

Comments

1st?

Posted by: sean | May 4, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell Portis he should spend his off-season learning how to get faster by working out with Darrell Green.

Posted by: Mike D | May 4, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow, two guys run. Stop the presses.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 4, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

yeah, attacking the FO and reminding us all that that, if Jasno was drafting, we wouldn't have this Davis headache, that would have been much better

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Tantalizing little story.

Apparently, Zorn also got miffed at Smoot and Springs for goofing around with the football during drills; said something to the effect that you don't ever, ever, ever, goof around with football.

Ever.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Can someone give me an update on Coach Janky Spanky?

Has CP laid that to rest for good?

If so, that's a shame.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, on the Fred Davis thing ... Corkczar nailed it. Its a minor problem for Davis, but its a big issue for Zorn. There are always a small number of guys that eat up a coaches time. A veteran coach can handle it. A rookie coach has too many things to do (like complete a playbook, learn the guys names, etc) ... so distractions have a bigger impact.

That is the reason Chad Johnson is a no no.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Note to Fred Davis:

WAKE UP!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Chia, I'm guessing the Springs Smoot thing was a set-up so Zorn could chew out a couple vets ... send a message to everyone else.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 4, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

How many different ways can people find to say "being a first year head coach is difficult." I have a feeling that this will be a redundant theme up here all summer and beyond. But let's face it, everything will be a first: first f-up by a rookie, first major injury, first loss, the list goes on and on. I really don't think this was a SB team with a veteran coach, so I'm just going to go along for the ride and not attribute everything, positive and negative, to Zorn being a rookie coach.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike D | May 4, 2008 1:59 PM

#28 would probably still blow their doors off.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | May 4, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

nate and chia pet, the same person. would have never thunk it.

Posted by: interesting..... | May 4, 2008 10:54 AM

---------------------

Nate, we are officially one and the same, inextricably linked from this point forward.

lol!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

So Zorn is a rookie coach, big deal. The ways Gibbs coached in the 2nd go around you would have figured it was his first time with all the clock management, consecutive timeout issues etc. Not a stretch to think these guys will be more competent since they are not all members of the AARP.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope Zorn makes Fred Davis run his ass off all tired and hung over till he is sick. This better not be the 1st of many problems with this guy.

Posted by: on the hop | May 4, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has spent almost his entire life on and around the football field.

I think he knows how to handle players....especially as a former QB and coach.

He seen the right and wrong ways to do things.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Reed Doughty was excused from practice today. His son, who had a kidney transplant last month, spiked a fever.

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

chia pet = podspeak or whatever his goofy name was.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

chia pet = podspeak or whatever his goofy name was.

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 3:32 PM

No way. podspeak was as thick as a brick and he had an attitude. chia pet is clever and humorous. I guess he is thinner than a brick.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

chia pet is made of clay not brick.

geeesh!

...and like chris larry he's not that funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I am an inanimate object; a clay figurine.

Anon posters have no effect on me.

Keep guessing "who" I am, as if it matters!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It's sort of weird not to dominate the offseason this offseason. We've had to resort to nitpicking. That's somewhat reassuring, I think.

Posted by: LaVar Walt Clark | May 4, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

...and like chris larry he's not that funny.

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 3:39 PM

-------------------

CL is waaaaay funny.

Anon's premise is flawed.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet is Hillary Clinton!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I am an inanimate object; a clay figurine. Anon posters have no effect on me. Keep guessing "who" I am, as if it matters!

Dude, don't be so down on yourself. You're a vessel of life. That's sacred.

Chia Pet = Sacred Vessel

Posted by: LaVar Walt Clark | May 4, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

okay, chiapod - if you say so.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The comments on here remind me of the Roger Clements hearings. Sides split down the middle. On one side the funny, witty posters with rabachs and on the other Anon posters.

Posted by: Roger Cossack | May 4, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet is Hillary Clinton!

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 3:46 PM

That's just rude.

First, we already established that Chia Pet is made of Clay.

...and although like Hilary Clinton he is hollow inside.

Hilary is an ice cold lump of fecal-base papier mache.

Chia Pet just a novelty item whose will wear off in about a week.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Did practice start yet?

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn DOES have a lot to learn as a HC. I agree with first this, first that stuff. Its easy to overdo it.

But Zorn is managing a large number of people for the first time. Both staff, which he has never done before, and 10x the number of players. As any manager can tell you, 20% of the people take up 80% of the time (and sometimes its worse). Zorn has plenty on his plate, keep the time sucking problem players away from this team and he'll do better.

As for Chia being more than one person, there's kind of a yuck factor to it ...

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 4, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Anon pansies have infiltrated the blog; that much is irrefutable, Mr. Cossack.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Attack of the anons, and now Mr. Al Zeke joins the fray.

Oh, the horror!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Everyone that is bashing on JLC reminds me of, well, me.

Posted by: Buzz Bissinger | May 4, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

there's kind of a yuck factor to it ...

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 4, 2008 4:02 PM

---------------------------

Something about your underpants, Zeke?

lol!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Uh, I was at church?

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I was totally gonna call, but my phone ran out of minutes.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Aren't team rules really more like guidelines or, you know, best practices?

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

It's a good think Lavar isn't still on the team or he would haze the Sugar Honey Iced Tea out of me come training camp.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone with a lot more drive, determination, diligence, and something else with a "d" in it needs to create the FredDavisIsLate.com Web site.

Man, what a pathetic way to indoctrinate yourself with one's new employer.

Posted by: P Diddy | May 4, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This was a good story for the fools that thought CP was done.

27 and running with the fastest play drafted in 2007.

I enjoyed the story but would like some analysis of the offense at some point.

Posted by: mul | May 4, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I was there. Cooley and I switched jerseys as a joke (and races).

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

This was a good story for the fools that thought CP was done.

27 and running with the fastest play drafted in 2007.

Yeah, running with (not AGAINST)!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

fargin hilarious!

ESPN's got a front page headline on Fred Davis oversleeping!

No better sports news on a SUNDAY than this!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I swear coach my power went out last night so my alarm clock was blinking 12:00.

*Booze on breath/glassy eyed*

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

If you can hang with LaRon, you should be able to break a few long TDs this year. All we have to do is stay healthy on the line(s).

Which brings up the question, how is the health of the line. I understand our back-up center is as close to 100% as can be, but what about everyone else??

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, that worked really well! Dare I try this with our DB??

Oh, and Thanks Cindy!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't press your luck, Curzon.

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't press your luck, Curzon.

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 5:31 PM

SNAP!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Get Down, Girl!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I am sure that most teams are full of confidence at this time of year, but I like what Jansen had to say:

"I've been through coaching changes and when you make changes everyone always says, 'Hey, we're going to be better,' " he said. "With this one I think we at least won't lose any ground."

With the coaching support that Zorn has, and the starters coming back, I, the kool-aid drinking man that I am (although right now it is patron and dos equis), I think that we are going to be harder to defend this year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow - I did have a lasting impact on the team....

Posted by: Michael Westbrook | May 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, that's how I was able to get the woman of my dreams 23 years ago. Have not learned any better since!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, where is the DB update?

. .
\__/

Posted by: Anrgy Anon | May 4, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Way to keep it fresh, Curzon!

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Fred's big news in LA, too:

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 5:44 PM
-------------

I can understand in LA, since the Fredster is from USC, but ESPN?? With other sports on, this should be small time news.

OOPS! I forgot that this was the girls web site...

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

My dog ate my playbook.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

This fat girl slipped some GSB in my drink.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought you meant practice started at 9 at night.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fred Davis Whereabouts | May 4, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Don't recent studies say that you should not neglect sleep? That getting a full night's sleep is crucial to health and job performance?

Posted by: Cindy | May 4, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins practice?

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

It's not what Davis did (slacker/drunk), it's how Zorn reacted.

If he didn't bust his arse hard, then he may have lost this team in May.

This stupid story is running everywhere and making the Skins look like jokes...

Posted by: GAD | May 4, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Zorn doesn't come over to me as a disciplinarian.

He oughta find the Hades out of Davis to send a message.

Gibbs couldn't even get Portis to wear the proper uniform early on, so I can smell this team running wild - unless ofcourse Zorn takes control.

And, there will be no locker room hush-hush as in the past.

People will talk this year.

Posted by: DAG | May 4, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

This is gonna be easy. Just get the girls to keep buyin the young kid drinks.

Posted by: Todd Yoder | May 4, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

GAD,
The way Zorn tore into Shawn Springs, I would say that he has the ability to tear into the rookie. No worries there. It's how he does it, as someone (Corkczar?) posted above. There is that balance to be kept.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

With headlines like this, how could we not be laughed at:

Redskins find missing player -- asleep

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Although most of what is in the WaPo has already been seen elsewhere re Blache, I think that we are going to be fine on D as well (kool-aid drinker). What Springs has to say I think is telling. The D seems to like Blache and will follow where he leads. Last year when GG simplified the offense, there was a marked improvement over 2006 even with the injuries and ST (RIP).

For those thinking we did not do enough for the D during FA and the draft, keep in mind that there are cuts to be made soon due to $$$ players are making this year. We will find those pieces of D (DE and LB) like we did on offense last year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I am just dumb.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I may be mono blogging alone (haha) again tonight. Some of you need to get some tequila!!!! Then come and join me!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Not you Fred Davis, you messed up enough this morning!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

With headlines like this, how could we not be laughed at:

Redskins find missing player -- asleep

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:23 PM

Better than finding him in jail, which is what lots of other teams deal with on a regular basis. (I'm talking about you Cincinnati, Minnesota, Atlanta, et al.)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Good point Anon. Dumb is better than stupid.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:29 PM

This makes one wonder if the simplification process started last year wasn't Blache's idea originally and he persuaded Williams to try it. It seemed strange to hear it coming from Williams last year, since it was definitely not his method previously. Maybe by losing Williams, we have inadvertantly discovered the real genius behind the defense's success.

Posted by: jcook | May 4, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

jcook,

Not only that, but, dare I say, could our FO be learning something? Talking Blache out of retirement may have been the smartest thing they did.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

That was me at 6:38 also. Sorry.

Posted by: jcook | May 4, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Talking Blache out of retirement may have been the smartest thing they did.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:44 PM

Whether it was smart or simply out of sheer desperation, it looks like it could be a winning move. Chalk one up for the team of Snyder and Cerrato.

Posted by: jcook | May 4, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I can't stick around, Curzon - I'm being paged. Good luck with your monoblogging this evening. If you and your family are anywhere near that big fire out there, stay safe. Take care.

Posted by: jcook | May 4, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

jcook,

If memory serves me (keeping in mind the tequila), it seemed that the coaches that were interviewed were saying that Blache was who they would pick as DC, maybe it was not genius, but good brain picking on the part of the FO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks jcook!!! We have property there, but are no where near the fire!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

A LITTLE SLEEP, not THE BIG SLEEP

You can see why people at Redskins Park were a little upset that one of their players was unaccounted for. It's not that bad things don't happen to good players.

Dude is from the LEFT COAST. If he had to get up ONE HOUR before practice started, that would be FIVE AM Body time.

One can see how he slept through his alarm. But he should have been smart and respectful enough to buy TWO.

Between this incident and the foot race run without coaches permission, Zorn better let everyone know he's in charge---NOW!!

Yeah, no one blew out a hammie--but it's not like that doesn't happen to the Redskins. And not clearing it with the staff first is disrespectful.

I'm a social Liberal, but I want my football coaches to be Fascists.

Zorn seems like a nice guy and a class act--and players take advantage of whatever they perceive as weakness.

Posted by: Corkczar | May 4, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Czar, I agree with you on the coaches being facist, however, this is a second round pick without a contract. An undrafted rookie could have been kicked off the team. This one will not.

Zorn needs to find that balance between being strict and not losing the team as I believe you posted above.

How is this done? For me, hard to say.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and F the lakers!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I have to believe that in (almost)55 years that Zorn has learned a thing about discipline. Especially if he has kids.

For me, the Davis incident is not as big as the news has made it out to be. Yes, you have to be firm, but not to extreme.

Although it is too early to put complete faith in Zorn, I do believe that he will be able to get the job done.

How many of you out there believe in your own capabilities.? The two hardest things I have ever had to do is be a husband and a father. Anything else in life is easy in comparison.

Although I may be simplifying this, I think that Zorn will do fine.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I think coaches lose teams when they don't win. One thing I will say about this team is that they have a good mix of veterans who should know better. I'm even surprised Clinton Portis even ran the race, considering the stunt he pulled last training camp.

Posted by: sicwidit | May 4, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Well said Curzon!

You wanna talk about losing your team, how about Marvin Lewis and the Bengals. Oversleeping and felony arrests and CJ pale in comparison.

Posted by: sicwidit | May 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks SIC,

The trick is to treat this as seriously as it really is and not more. Davis' stunt reminds me of something my son has done. Not the end of the world, but keep your foot is his a$$.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Getting away from the tempo I was blogging, I was reading stuff on the internet and came upon this tid bit:

In addition to tweaking Campbell's techniques the Redskins used their top three draft picks -- all second-rounders -- on two receivers (Michigan State's Devin Thomas and Oklahoma's James Hardy) and a tight end (Southern Cal's Fred Davis).

Although there is much to say about Jasno's style, can you believe that today someone would write that we signed James Hardy?? From Oklahoma! Even I could not make this mistake.

Anyway, as negative as Jasno is, even agenda driven, he at least reports without the errors some out there do (over looking type-Os).

Back to my regular type posting.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Chris Cooley. Calling it like it is. He is the new wave Redskin and someone many of us Ri bloggers can identify with.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

You know, you only have one chance to make a first impre..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Blogging on my own,

RI dead, thanks to Anon!

Tequila saves day!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Should have gone to the baby shower with my wife. There had to be more going on there than there is here!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is a cancer. I blame Vinny Cerrato and The Danny for...

*blah blah blah*

Posted by: anon | May 4, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Davis was trying to avoid a paint ball to the rabachs?

Posted by: SCSkins | May 4, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

They gone yet?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Very few anon posters in the last few, if that's what you mean Chia.

Where is the jibba jabba this place was famous for?

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, curz.

At it's best, this blog is amazing. At it's worse, this blog is still pretty cool.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Chia, I know what you mean. But the tequila helps when it is "at worst"!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley Rulz
Fred Davis droolz

Thanks for that link, Cooley is the best!

Let the Cl bashing begin...

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Its always quiet on Sundays

Posted by: MrCoffee&GroundsForDivorce | May 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Curz,

I'm still nursing a hangover from last night; one too many Pabst Blue Ribbons. Tequila makes me do strange stuff; which for me, is sayin' somethin.

It's tough to get a feel for the new look Redskins from a distance, and from so brief a glimpse as we've had to this point, but I agree with you that Zorn needs to keep a short leash on these guys.

Zorn is a nice guy, by all accounts. Let's hope the player's don't continue to take advantage of that.

I was, however, encouraged that he corrected Springs and Smoot for goofing around during drills. Getting careless with that football is not something to be tolerated; little habits like that can manifest themselves in important situations.

I hope the player's appreciate that there is a lot at stake here...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

CL,

The anons have turned their blunt instruments in my direction, for what reason, I'm not sure.

Guess I'm an easy target!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

ChIs LaRry posts here,

With wit and humour he speaks!

Anon brings donkeys?

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Also having a hard time with the overuse of my apostrophes; I should know better.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually happy Davis slept through camp today. Now we know we found a sleeper. Thank you, thank you I'll be here all night.

Posted by: kreitmaster | May 4, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I should say misuse; I'm not over using the apostrophe so much as just plain using it at the wrong times, breaking rules of grammar as I go.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

What?

None of us here have over overslept on our second day of a new job?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Chia, with and average of 5 hours of sleep, I don't worry about over sleeping!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for holding down the fort, Curz. 1 teq, 2 teq, 3 teq, floor! I'm with you, buddy. Only I'm hitting the vodka martinis.

And you are right about Davis. Big deal, but no big deal. I'm vacationing in FL, but still keeping in touch

Posted by: fred | May 4, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the Hiaku cL, should I have been bashing instead?

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Bash away if you must....but I don't mind a little support now and again! I am a softie with a salty exterior, like a hot pretzel!

Posted by: chris larrY | May 4, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Damn, curz?

Five hours, huh?

How do you function? Rumor has it that Bill Clinton gets 4 hours, on a good night; been that way his whole life. He's been caught falling asleep during important meetings, though, so I'm not sure what this tells us.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Not here to bash, especially tonight. Can't believe the abuse that you get, but am amazed at how it falls off you like a well waxed 1969 camero!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmm...

pwetzels!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Chia,

Bill must have been using cialex!!

Us new mexican's grew up on tequila, so it's like soda, five hours is nothing!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

In Davis' defense, he must have been pretty exhausted after those practices.

It was pretty warm out there too!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone ever try to hit a golf ball without bending the knees. Zorn just may know what he is taling about.

As long as he is not Steve S, and is on top of the whole team, we should be rockin this year!

(left out the apostrophe since you have been overusing them Chia).

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

He oughta find the Hades out of Davis to send a message.

Posted by: DAG | May 4, 2008 6:14 PM

You meant find him or fine him? Well, they did find him. But fine him? How can they do that when the guy hasn't even signed a contract?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

This stupid story is running everywhere and making the Skins look like jokes...

Posted by: GAD | May 4, 2008 6:09 PM

No, the 'Skins don't look like jokes. Davis looks like a joke.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Curzon.

Random aside: I was once on a road trip and overnighted in tiny Eagle's Nest, New Mexico; having snaked my way through those mountains in the northwest corner of the state.

First, that is gorgeous country up there, but it happened to be a Monday night; Monday Night Football; THE REDSKINS!

I went to this bar and the place was filled with Redskins ex pats, free finger food, which incidentally was gourmet (you New Mexicans know how to eat!) AND cheap beer.

I think the Redskins lost and I vaguely remember Ade Jimoh being directly involved, was that 6-10 season with Brunell and Ramsey, but I had an awesome time.

God Bless N.M, but why so many fans were concentrated in that bar in Eagle's Nest confounds me to this day...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who chia pet is either, but whoever they are, the have a lot of free time

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:34 PM

Lot of indian reservations in NM, and the Redskins are the fave team on every reservation. Were you drinking beer or firewater?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Anon pansies have infiltrated the blog; that much is irrefutable, Mr. Cossack.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 4:04 PM

Chia, this was me. Could not help myself. Actually more than 5 hours!!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:34 PM

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 9:39 PM

Not too surprised, but am usually out numbered by girls fans. Looks like I need to move the the NW part of the state!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley had 37 cathces that year, his rookie year, six of them for TDs.

Not bad for a third rounder, but I still painfully remember him that dropping that pass in Seattle in last year's playoff loss.

Come on, Cooley... Don't do that again!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 9:34 PM

---------------

Dude, it's Sunday.

You can do better than that.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Although Cooley dropped that pass, the interception that Collins' threw was the turn around in that game!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Dude, it's Sunday.

You can do better than that.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:43 PM

Was talking about being Mr. Cossack!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 9:39 PM

------------------------------

Noooooooooo!

Silly anons...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

True about the Collin's pick being the defining moment of that Seattle loss.

Hate to leave that ball on the turf, though. Cooley makes the play, and things look a lot different at that point in the game. That pass was on the mark as well.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

No, the 'Skins don't look like jokes. Davis looks like a joke.

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 9:32 PM

Skins will look like jokes if the guy is a bust and they wasted a pick on a position that wasn't a great need.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 9:51 PM

This will be the last unexcused absence that Davis has this year. There is no way, with all of the press that this generated that he will be late, miss practice again without an excuse form the HC!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 9:51 PM

Not really. Plenty of guys who are drafted, even in the first round, don't pan out. That doesn't make the team that drafted them jokes, unless they do it consistently. But one pick, either way, doesn't make you either a joke or a jenius.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

If punctuality is the biggest character deficit Fred Davis faces, surely he can overcome; that's a totally correctable tendency, in so far it's a habit at all, which has not been established.

I do think it's pretty safe to say that Davis did not just make things any easier on himself as a rookie from USC.

This guy will be mercilessly hazed.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

This guy will be mercilessly hazed.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 10:06 PM

And he didn't make it easier for his agent to negotiate his rookie contract.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

We also may not want to assume Fred was drunk.

Maybe he was just exhausted?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

This guy will be mercilessly hazed.

I have been there while in the Marine Corp, so yes it will work.

Sometimes the team needs to step up and handle the discipline!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Who is Davis' agent, anywho?

I think you're right. This is a lose - lose for Davis, and his agent.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Sound like Curzon wants to get medieval on Fred Davis.

How many lashes do you suggest, Curz?

Seriously, though; what is the punishment for oversleeping in the Marines?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 4, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Blanket party with a bar of soap wraped in a sock!!

One time is enough!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

One time is probably enough for everyone in your dormitory, right? Or is it called "barracks"?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

The part about it that makes us look like jokes is the fact that the guy slept through practice ALREADY. It's not like he missed a random meeting during the season. This guy is supposed to be on his best behavior so he can make the team and he sleeps through it. Thats why it's embarrassing.

Aside from Khary's ankle sprain (if I'm thinking right), the first couple of practices have been quite good in my opinion. You guys know about the D-line - it was swarming; Zorn had some good praise for it. Therefore as long as the dude's ankle heals properly before training camp, I'm happy.

Posted by: Karen | May 4, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Karen,

When you sleep through your alarm and miss a class at school is it an embarrassment to the school, your professor, or you?

This isn't about the Redskins. It's about Fred Davis. All the Redskins were there. He overslept, the coaching staff didn't.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

When I heard about Davis sleeping in today all I could think about was the draft day quote where he said how surprised he was that the Redskins picked him and all they had asked of him previously was his phone number.

I'm not saying he has a history of problems, I'm just saying I doubt the Redskins would have known if he did.

Posted by: isnadd | May 4, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

This guy although without contract, is representing the team because he is participating in the minicamp. Therefore his stupidity reflects on the team. Granted, it reflects more on him than the organization, but it still does. Period. Especially considering how high he was picked. Most people when they read the story and understand he's had all of one week to adjust to EST are sympathetic/understanding/forgiving. However, some won't.

Posted by: Karen | May 4, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

My name is Skippy and I have a metal plate in my head. And now Skippy has a joke which shows his sense of humidor.

The New York Daily News says that Roger Clements who is married to his wife of the same name, have has dated Mindy McReady. Mindy McReady was 15 years old when she was younger. But she won't say if she wass comparing groins with seven time Clyde Young reward winner Roger, but she has seen his heater.

She said he also has a high hard one which he puts in her wheelhorse, which is an odd place to put your high hard on. But that's no joke

Anyway, when Mindys' Mom found out he was married and dating her that is her not her mom she was disappointed he was married.

"Ha!"she said (Mindy's Mom). "We are from the deep south so we are saving her from her brother." No wait! Skippy meant to say "saving her FOR her brother" which is the joke about how some people who may be red necks marry their own kid. I mean kin.

Posted by: Skippy! | May 4, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Have not read too many articles by Les Carpenter, but like his style.

The latest is really a good read. I like that Zorn is not stuck on the Walsh system, but has been influenced by some of the people that Gibbs was.

I think that Zorn will use a process that will work for the Skins in dealing with Davis.

At the same time, Davis needs to show his embarrassment and not let this happen again. This is not about the Skins as much as it's about Davis.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Skippy, stop that! In my current condition, I cannot handle that kind of thinking!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm a social Liberal, but I want my football coaches to be Fascists.

Posted by: Corkczar

A Communist who likes Nazi football coaches?

rofl

Football is a metaphor for war, so what ever works for you.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar,

I'd like to speak with you.

Posted by: Senator McCarthy | May 4, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Blanket party with a bar of soap wraped in a sock!!

One time is enough!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 10:18 PM

Did Curzon just order a "Code Red"?

I wanna know?

I'm serious!

I want the TRUTH!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 4, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

++++rofl

Football is a metaphor for war, so what ever works for you.

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 10:55 PM+++

And anonymous posting is a metaphor for Gutlessness. Hope you didn't pick up too many dust kitties when you rofled in your hidey place.

Incidentally, where do you get your metaphors? At Kellen Winslow II's Metaphor Shoppe?

Posted by: Corkczar | May 4, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Fun! Where are the fun post that I am used to at this time of day/night. This blog sucks (excepting chia) lately!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Someone call me?

Posted by: The Truth | May 4, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

No, I was calling for FUN!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

The same thing the Post did to Sean Taylor they are doing with the newest Redskin

Posted by: What What in the Butt | May 4, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: What What in the Butt | May 4, 2008 11:09 PM

I would say the post more than the Skins doing to the rookie!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | May 4, 2008 11:03 PM

Gee, I dont' know.

Offense/Defense

Ground Attack

Air Attack

Throwing a Bomb

Battle in The Trenches

the clash of small armies

defending territory/ attacking territory

the list goes on and on and on and on and (yes, you guessed it)...ON!

Almost everything about football is a metaphor for war.

Seriously, if you don't understand football as a metaphor for war than you don't understand football.

Like many sports, football is a war game that can be play between two groups, cities or nations in times of peace.

Real Soldiers?....No, not even close.

Toy Soldier?.....pretty much, like interactive pawns in a chess game. (Oh and guess what chess is a metaphor for?)

Is Kellen Winslow the Deuce a moron?....absolutely

Edjamacate yourself, Foooo!

Posted by: Vince Lombardi | May 4, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Fred oversleeping is not an embarrassment to the team - and it's a big deal about nothing. If it happens again, he may be on the way out before he plays a game but right now it's nothing.

Posted by: Lisa | May 4, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Lisa.

I have a feeling his teammate are going to help him get up tomorrow morning!

The veterans should have fun with this one!

Posted by: Tyler Ecker-Groin | May 4, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember last season when Lloyd fell asleep at his locker and missed a meeting? Gibbs did not allow him to even get on the bus. TO also overslept and incurred the wrath of Parcells.

Fred is a rookie....this was simply a rookie mistake.

Posted by: Lisa | May 4, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I want the TRUTH!

Posted by: | May 4, 2008 11:02 PM

You can't handle the truth!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 4, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

All right folks, we're closing shop here at RI, lights out. Go to bed.

Posted by: RI Wapo | May 5, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Are you sounding Taps??

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 5, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

You forgot to tuck me in?

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 5, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

..and don't forget to wake me up tomorrow...there is something I have to do.....Oh I don't remember....

.....click.....

......night light, please....

.......click......

.....thank you.

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 5, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

If you are out there, I think you may be right about me.

Everyone has hit lights out, but me, I am still rockin' and rollin'!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 5, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

We are serious. Lights out. Go to bed.

Posted by: RI Wapo | May 5, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I say when it is Lights Out!!!

Posted by: Shawn Merriman | May 5, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

.....psst....Fred.....you awake?

Posted by: Shawn Merriman | May 5, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

........no.......

Posted by: Fred Davis | May 5, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Fred....you see...it's about hard work and ya know ....out scoring the other team in order to win....ya got that? ok cool....now

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leevi | May 5, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I suppose this means Fred will have to work extra super hard and start being extra super smart to get that logo put on his rookie bare helmet....

Posted by: Leevi | May 5, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Fred just learned that college days are over. No more beer bongs! Late nights! No more stayin' out late!

Almost like work!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 5, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

How can you not like our D??

"That was in March, so who knows what I can lift now?" Daniels said. "I took two weeks off [after the wild card loss at Seattle], and I went right into powerlifting. I hadn't done this since just before my last year in Seattle, and I had a [career-high nine sacks]. The injuries and the surgeries I had the last couple of years took a lot of my strength away. I couldn't work out the way I wanted to. I'm going to prove all the people wrong who don't think I can do it anymore. I was 273 [pounds] last year and I didn't have the strength I've got now. I feel good. I'm out there flying by people."

And with Blache leading this team!! 10 wins is what I am talking about!

F the iggles.
F the gints!
F the girls!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 5, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

It stinks like sex in here...

Posted by: Thorny | May 5, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

That's what she said!

Posted by: Like You Would Know | May 5, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lights Out | May 5, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

who turned the lights off?

Posted by: ิิbangkokben | May 5, 2008 4:39 AM | Report abuse

For all the Snyder haters who missed it, his wife has cancer.

Posted by: Mayo Clinic | May 5, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I didnt deliver friday night, drank a little too much J Deazy.

But in reviewing the past couple of posts from last night, and if anybody has confirmed, then my B, but Chia Pet regaled in a story of drinking with fans and referred to them as ex-pats... I do believe the sheriff uses that phrase.

But of course if the intent of the sheriff to throw off others, then I should shut up now.

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Gee, I dont' know.

Offense/Defense

Ground Attack

Air Attack

Throwing a Bomb

Battle in The Trenches

the clash of small armies

defending territory/ attacking territory

the list goes on and on and on and on and (yes, you guessed it)...ON!

Almost everything about football is a metaphor for war.

Real Soldiers?....No, not even close.

Is Kellen Winslow the Deuce a moron?....absolutely

Edjamacate yourself, Foooo!

Posted by: Vince Lombardi | May 4, 2008 11:26 PM

Flag on the play, on vince for jacking george carlin's great diatribe about fooball versus baseball.

George said just as much about football, and then said about baseball...

you make errors, in football you are PENALIZED

in baseball the object is to get to home, in football you pentrate deep into enemys territory and score

basically calling baseball gay

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

With an aging defensive line that struggled to rush the passer last season, finishing tied for 16th in the NFL with 33 sacks.

I guessx our D line isn't as bad as everyone think they are. I had no idea they finished 16th.

Posted by: jm220 | May 5, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Did i kill the blog?

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

yes you did Z. Damn you! lol

Posted by: jm220 | May 5, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

jm;

did you bring the hammers out for young mr davis for missing day 3?

Some are saying its not a big deal, but first impressions mean a lot, you just got MADE and PAID and you cant make sure you can get up sunday morning?

Of course if i remember back to my college days (which seem to be getting farther away every day!) i couldnt get up sundays. yet I wasnt making millions.

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

No he gets a pass on this one. Now if it happens again then there will be a need for concern.

Posted by: jm220 | May 5, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know Portis was that fast. I'm all for more races. Whose faster Cooley or Davis, Thomas or Kelly, Springs or Smoot? Is anyone as fast as Santana?

Posted by: bangkokben | May 5, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Davis overslept. Here is what Les Carpenter said about it:

"It was the kind of unthinkable infraction that would make most coaches so furious they might not be able to speak"

Really? While this was somewhat unsettling, I don't think that it was as bad as Carp made it out to be, nor do I think it makes the organization look stupd.

I would, if I were Zorn, run his @ss into the ground.

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Greg you know he will be doing some extra running if he hasn't already.

Posted by: jm220 | May 5, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Oversleeping is one thing. But I guess the story is that he was out late and then overslept. Couldnt he wait til sunday night to go out?

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

JM, he'd better be. Zorn better have his foot firmly planted up Davis's backside. Run him till he pukes. Then run him some more, till he pukes. Then run him some more. Then, ask him if he's going to oversleep again.

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:

"Rookies typically have roommates during camp, but a club official said Davis moved into a single room Saturday night and failed to board the team bus the next morning"

Doesn't excuse what happened, but gives it more clarity.

The Times also had an article about Daniels, and how he won a powerlifting competition in his weight class with a 633 pound squat, and a 600 pound dead lift.

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't reflect bad on organization...yet. If this dude is the second coming of Johnny Mitchell well then...

But I think there is some serious cause for concern here. Might be simply oversleeping but to highlight your draft day negatives 2 days into camp, well thats a warning sign.

But Davis is the one who lookS ridiculous. This cat ain't even sighned a contract yet....so no millions, no guarauntees, nuthin!

Most guys have the sense to at least wait to pull this cr*p until after they have the money in hand. Thats like -25 points on any wunderlic tests....the dude can't resist partying for 3 days, or until he has a few million in the bank????

One to watch thats for sho!

Posted by: chris larrY | May 5, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Davis has earned the moniker, "Sleepy".

Sleepy Davis.

Posted by: skinfanman | May 5, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Damn that a lot of weight to squat. I make out at 515.

Posted by: jm220 | May 5, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Damn that a lot of weight to squat. I make out at 515.

Damn, that is a lot of weight to squat yourself, JM.

Hopefully Daniels weight training translates on the football field.

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Flag on jm220;

5 yard penalty for showboating about how much stronger is in than everybody else on the blog.

Comparing his squat to a 300 plus DL while he is at 220... come on man, really? ;)

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I have to protest that flag. I wasn't showboating at all. No matter how you look at it to do over 600 lbs is a lot of weight.

Posted by: jm220 | May 5, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I agree and the flag was in jest. But you made your 515 sound paltry... no matter how you look at it, 500 lbs is a lot!

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The knock on davis coming out of the draft was that he was lazy and lacked maturity. This incident is a bit of a concern for me. I hope Zorn finds a way to whip him into shape.

Posted by: Matt | May 5, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Well, there you have it Matt. It is a situation. Hopefully he realizes whats at stake.

But as cL already noted, he doesnt have a contract yet.

I guess we will know what type of coach Zorn is by how Davis responds. Not to say his legacy is tied to this, but it would be a damn good indicator of what type of leader he is if Davis shapes up and this never happens again.

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So can we call Paul Tenorio "P-Ten" or perhaps "P-10"? He's gone from the Eastern Loudoun traffic beat to posting solid reports from the Park.

You know I'm all about the stupid nicknames, like the one I use up here.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

On 980 just now, they said that Fred was rooming with a very talkative roommate on Saturday night (the hotel was all rookies) and asked to be moved to another room. He was moved and I guess the new roommate (if he had one) did not wake him up. No veterans were around.

Posted by: Lisa | May 5, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

According to the times, there was no roommate on Saturday night. Fred moved into a 'single' and didn't have anyone with him.

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

P-10 sounds like where you'd currently find him in the directory of WaPo writes Nate.

Apropos of nothing but trying to get some non-Davis oversleeping chat going, I read a piece on Chad Henne this morning. Apprently he was given 4 days to learn the first 150 pages of the new Fins playbook for mini-camp, including all assignments for all players. So far, so ho-hum, but the interesting nugget for me was that this consitituted 50% of the total playbook.

Anyone care to venture how big the Skins playbook will be this year? Presumably substantially less than the legendary 700+ pages of Weird Al.

And anyone think that the Skins' junior QBs will be expected to learn them at that sort of speed too? If yes, I guess these guys really earn their money!

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 10:26 AM

Maybe he was hoping to get lucky!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

i squatted a 5lb floater....

Posted by: chris larrY | May 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

cl, that mental image is causing me to think about performing a lobotomy on myself with a plastic spork....

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Greg: Mission Accomplished....HAHAHAHA...jk....

Posted by: chris larrY | May 5, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

i squatted a 5lb floater....

Posted by: chris larrY | May 5, 2008 10:30 AM

I'm pretty sure that's the name of Spurrier's autobiography chronicling his tenure as Redskins coach...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Mornington Crescent - I win.

Posted by: Mark in 21132 | May 5, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hi Mark, I see you're a quick study!

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

5lb er? Damn, you dont get that from eating quiche do you>?

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

However, after checking my well-thumbed copy of "Old Scrotem's Rules of Play" I find that you can't do the pre-emptive on "high days and holidays" which, as it is May-Day Bank Holiday in the UK, means that the turn automatically reverts to me and the game continues, ha!

So, Arnos Grove...

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh well, I guess I was overdue to break the blog....

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat,

You win!! I am not good at making up rules as we play. Plus, I have a very busy week of real work. Such is life.

Posted by: Mark in 21132 | May 5, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Didn't mean you specifcally Mark, I think I've broken the blog in-toto!

Are you planning to go to the gathering in June? Reply at your leisure as work permits.

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

By the way, is the correct term for a blog gathering a 'blathering'?

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Not that it matters now, but I think the Saunders playbook thing was totally manufactured by the press.

So what if it was 700 pages? A WP article last year noted that the University of Maryland offensive playbook is over 650 pages.

Posted by: Mike H. | May 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I guess one of the keys is also what point type they print it in. I bet our Fins one is only 300 pages because it's in 28 point type! :)

I'm with you Mike, I think the whole 700 pages thing was just used as shorthand to convey 'deep complexity' Mike. Saunders himself said that the playcalling was not that complex, but that to list out all the variations as individual plays was what made it the playbook that large.

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

oh, blothering.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Someone's a little testy this morning!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:15 PM

Busy weekend up here ... and then I read this one. Did I miss the sighting of a celebrity* blogger?

* Chia was responding to Rabach's kid was posting up here, right?

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

On 980 just now, they said that Fred was rooming with a very talkative roommate on Saturday night (the hotel was all rookies) and asked to be moved to another room. ... No veterans were around.

Posted by: Lisa | May 5, 2008 10:22 AM

So Smoot is ruled out; I'm guessing that Tryon was the first roommate.

Also, I thought Davis was expected to be a first round pick but fell to the second. Isn't the "sleeper pick" supposed to be someone who got drafted unnoticed?

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike H. | May 5, 2008 11:06 AM

There was an ESPN article last year that said that the Vikings playbook was longer (circa 850) and very complex.

Sounds like an editor problem. Someone should have taken a picture ... one of those pictures that speaks a thousand words. In the dcsweenFL, there will be interactive CD-ROM based playbooks.

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Any word on Reed's son Micah today? Are they back home from the hospital?

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"However, after checking my well-thumbed copy of "Old Scrotem's Rules of Play" I find that ...."

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 10:42 AM

Written by Rabach's great-great-grandfather, right? [Anyone should feel free to let me know when Rabach jokes get old.]

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Rabach jokes never get old sween!

As I believe Rabach himself says "you can never have too much of a good thing".

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Mike, this is what WaPo had this AM.

I'm guessing it will be a fair while before they come home from the hospital.

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

sure are a lot of geeks here

Posted by: not JBL | May 5, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

HO HO HO

HA

HO HO HO

ERRRR HA HA HA

HO HO HO

AAAA-HA AAAAA-HA

HA HAHAHAHAHA HA

*uuughhh*

HA HA

*woo*

too damn funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The Vikings playbook is bigger because they have all those important supplemental pages- How to avoid being arrested; Who to call if you are arrested; Directions to get home from various Minnesota city and county jails; List of bail amounts for various infractions; and a comprehensive listing of Bail Bondsmen in the Twin Cities.

Posted by: Marge Gunderson | May 5, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks DCsween! I hope the little guy is ok. If he is anything like his Dad, he is strong.

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering if there is an equivalent in the NFL to the 'bag snatching' foul in rugby Sween?

Once the players are locked into a scrum or sometimes in a ruck or maul if the game is in open play, the fouling player reaches through to the player he wishes to foul, grabs the other player's 'bag' and pulls sharply downwards, rendering the other player inoperative for some time.

Southern Hemisphere teams pioneered the development of this particular foul many years ago along with 'tap dancing', i.e. the art of jumping up and down on the back of an opposing player while raking your (metal) studs under the pretence of 'clearing him away from the ruck'.

Posted by: Redcoat | May 5, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

beep beep....

Posted by: Cindy | May 5, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

One to watch thats for sho!

Posted by: chris larrY | May 5, 2008 9:20 AM

"Serious cause for concern?"

Gimme a break, dude!

This is why people call you an idiot chris larrY!

Just when I think you can't say anything stupider!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey genius, its 'more stupid'

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey genius, its 'more stupid'

Posted by: Zebra | May 5, 2008 12:27 PM

Hey, rocket scientist! your an idiot, too!

It's a quote from "Dumb & Dumber"

...but thank you for choosing to be "more stupid" than CL

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Zebra!

You try to correct someones spelling/grammar and look what happens...you just end up looking more and more "stupider"!

Wow, you're an idiot!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Landry vs Portis? Who cares? Moss would own both of them......running backwards. I want to see Moss vs 25 Year Old Darrell Green. Now thats a race.

Posted by: RIV | May 5, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse