Clark's Tribute: Individuality in Team Sport

Dan Steinberg asked Commissioner Roger Goodell earlier this week about the fine imposed on Ryan Clark for wearing eyeblack with the number 21 on it as a tribute to his late friend and former teammate, Sean Taylor. Steinberg also spoke with LaVar Arrington and other players on the matter.

I asked what was wrong with personalized messages. "Because everybody has their own individual causes," Goodell said. "This is a national platform. This is the NFL's platform, and all of its clubs'. We do things collectively. That's what the game of football is all about."
The problem is, the people who play the game of football are individuals, many of whom have known tragedy, are one play away from no longer being part of the collective, and desire some sort of personalized inspiration while on the field. Something I've seen from athletes playing all sorts of sports at all sorts of levels, incidentally.
"That's nitpicking, but it's a nitpick league, you know?" LaVar said, concerning the Clark fine. "So you've got to find a way to do it. Like I used to put stuff on my [wrist] tape, I'd write it on my tape. Any type of message. Sometimes I needed to write 'The Lord is my shepherd.' You know? Sometimes I'd write whole paragraphs, like 'I will fear no evil,' stuff like that. Sometimes you need that reminder."

By Cindy Boren  |  November 7, 2008; 12:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Collins, Only His Role Is the Same
Next: Hall Agrees to One-Year Deal

Comments

I don't see us winning against Dallas next week. I'll be rooting my pooter off, but I still don't see it happening. I hope it's at least close, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 7, 2008 12:24 PM |

What would make you say this Dallas is playing like sh!t, we already beat them with all there weapons and when the were undefeated.

I think you were the same guy up here saying we were going to lose to them the last time we played them, get some confidence you are a Skins fan not a Girls fan.

The Girls fans have pretty much given up on there team, let put the final nail in the coffin.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 7, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It's us, Flounder. Dallas will be up for the game. And we have a big question mark over our heads.

I did predict us at 11-5 before the season started. I don't remember predicting a win or a loss last Cowpatties game - I was getting married that week.

I'm all for puttin' the nail in there and will cheer as loudly as everyone (ok LOUDER than the Fed Ex fans.. lol) - I just don't have a good feeling about our response to Pitt & the bye week.

...but then again, I thought we'd beat Pittsburgh - especially after Big Ben went down. (that sounded like Movie night at the Blue Oyster...)

..just expressin my angst, man ;)

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 7, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

i'm all for the nfl fining clark. because it sets a precedence. before you know it players are going to start doing crosses, stars and crescent moons on their faces. and "what is so wrong witht that?" people will ask...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 7, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

dik,

I got you but I think they will respond like they did after the Giants loss, atleast I hope so.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 7, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

LLoyd did produce in SF, but he was a known attitude problem. He had plenty of talent, but its never made it onto the field here. It was attitude.

Posted by: zcezcest1

48 receptions for 733 yards is not "producing" by a #1 WR option (his career best season, by far). The guy was worth 2 plays a year of highlight-reel worth of material. After that, he was a well below-average receiver. He couldn't run routes well, he couldn't get separation, he couldn't take a hit, he wasn't particularly fast, he couldn't outmuscle anyone. As Joe Gibbs even said (or maybe it was Al Saunders), he was "the most talented WR from his palms to his fingertips" he had seen. As you know, it takes MUCH more than that to be a WR in this league. His lack of production here had nothing to do with him having an attitude. It had to do with him not being any good.

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

crosses, stars, crescent moons... green clovers, blue diamonds, purple horseshoes, (whatever else is in there now)... mmm, Lucky Charms...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 7, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Yet somehow players don't get fined for doing the sign of the cross anytime they're on the football field. I was unaware the NFL was a Christian organization...

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

["Because everybody has their own individual causes," Goodell said.]

It's not an 'individual cause'...he's honoring a murdered teammate...You know commish, a man who was part of the NFL 'collective.'

Goodell. Hmmm. Hearing the name as I imgagine it would sound coming from our mate Kost...something similar to "Go-da-he11"

Posted by: 4-12 | November 7, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I did a little edit on the landry blackout jersey...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Orange Sunshine, Nate, Orange Sunshine

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I am white and hated the red on red. I love the red on white, white on white, and the white on red. i loved the white on yellow from last year.

I would love to see black on red. Has any one seen those blackout jerseys?

those are tizzight. I say we go black to mourn ST for the rest of skins enternity.

I would do like the titans or other teams where the second color is prominent in the jersey, not just our small stripes.

Also, on the skins sotre site, there is a black out sweatshirt where the indianhead is black and grey (i guess) and white.

That looks tough... Id put that on the helmet (white or yellow helmet)

see images here

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I just don't have a good feeling about our response to Pitt & the bye week.
You shouldn't your team is over-rated and will collapse in the second half of the season. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors. You played your best football.

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Flounder - agreed Go Skins!

psps - I missed the beginning of that conversation. What has Receiver, The been doing in Chi-town? I haven't heard too much....

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 7, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"before you know it players are going to start doing crosses, stars and crescent moons on their faces. and "what is so wrong witht that?" people will ask..."

what's so wrong with that?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I just don't have a good feeling about our response to Pitt & the bye week.

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 12:53 PM |

Thats funny you say we have played our best football already, your bummy a$$ team has not played football all year.

Take your dumba$$ over to the Girls blog.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 7, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

If this is the case - how about The Redskins petitioning The NFL for an ST on everyone's helmet alongside the GU?I hope The Pope doesn't catch wind of the chance of players getting fined for displays of Christianity!

Posted by: captjim | November 7, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

About this roller coaster ride...
Winning has more to do with how we play than who we play.

If we play 4 quarters of mistake free football; we win.

If we make too many mistakes, or get decimated by injuries, like last year; we lose.

So the bottom line is: the Redskins are a better than average football team and have a chance to become one of the dominant teams in the league.

The unanswered questions: But will they? And if so, when?

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 7, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Dfan....... because Dallas's best games are in front of them?
Look bro, lets face it.... Dallas is a penitentiary team... why not sign Vick and flesh out Cell Block D...errrr... the Offense.

Posted by: AppleScience | November 7, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm for signing Hall.

His lack of production in Oakland is no indication of his ability (see: Randy Moss), and if the price is right, we'll have insurance against injuries to Springs and Smoot.

Also, I don't think he'd be a problem in the locker room, with vets like London, Corny, Springs and J. Taylor already in place.

I think he'll end up with an NFC East team, and I'd rather it be the Redskins than the Giants, Eagles or Cowboys.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 7, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

And Dbag - you have absolutely NOTHING to crow about. If we're overrated, what does that make YOU?!? We already beat you...

Any hollow prediction from your sorry SJK is worth about as much as a TO apology for droppin' passes.

Even if we do loose to your souless team, we'll still finish the season better than your squad. Remember, we actually have wins in the playoffs this century.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 7, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

You can't celebrate after scoring a touchdown. You can't pay an individual tribute to a fallen comrade. You can't criticize officiating. You can't say any kind of word against the league, or say much of anything out of the ordinary without their approval. Getting pretty Orwellian here, aren't they?

Need to change it to BBFL = Big Brother Football League.

BTW, I dig the blackout jersey. Put that with the red pants from the Pitt game and you'll have Zorn's "Maroon and Black" look. ;-)

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | November 7, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Dfan,

Call us when you can find Dallas on a map.

Posted by: Gweez | November 7, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

John, if you're still out there ... I'm thinking the trade won't make sense at this point. A trade takes 48 hours to process which means it won't be of use this weekend. You were going to get a top WR -- which would have been big for you given the bye weeks for your WRs. If you are interested in it (and I'm thinking it'll be of less interest to you without this weekend included), we can revisit next week

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

always have a tough time finding dal ... especially when leaving DFW. I get my east west bearings all messed up

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Zee - fair enough - I did not realize the length of time that a trade takes to process - otherwise I would have carved some time out to respond - that I could kick back and do it tonight

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

from Oct 06, me (aka Alan in San Jose) and Barack

kgoradio.com and hit the listen button. I'm up before the 1/2 hour

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

John, no problem. I'll cancel the offer and email it to you instead. If you're interested, we can look at it next week. See if it makes sense then

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Zce - So, are you "Alan The Plumber" in your question to Barack?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I am not now, or have ever been, a White House plumber. (which makes a lot more sense to those who lived thru Watergate)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Those were the days, those were the days...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I know that peeps are strongly on both sides of the DeAngelo Hall fence, so I will put in my soft support for the Sign DeAngelo Hall contingent. Skins. Need. A. Punt. Returner.

Posted by: dcsween | November 7, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Robert Goulez!

Posted by: captjim | November 7, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

was good to hear me on the radio again ... Barack's answer to my question included a comment about how Ford just announced losing $8billion -- was true in in 2006, and just as true today

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Steve and Edie

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Whats your number? Its in landover right next to heinz field. Is cambell gonna be healthy next week because he had to be hurt to play like that against the steelers. Good teams find ways to score against good defenses, oops, oh well.

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

A slow friday today maybe has something to do with the weather.... Glad to be at work... Looking forward to a weekend off from football Urbanna Oyster festival is this weekend as well at the Reedville Oyster festivle if anyone needs something to do

Posted by: drkeller1 | November 7, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh please, dfan - good teams have coaches that kind of know what's going on out on the field - What's the over/under on how long Wade's going to last?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Black jerseys are for teams that play in cities that never won a super bowl. Notice that outside the Raders *who have had black jerseys since the binging not a single team with a black alternate has a ring.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"was good to hear me on the radio again"

um...narcissist much??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 7, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Been busy. Did we sign The Angelo Hall yet?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 7, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Man I loved LaVar when he was playing here. I wish it had turned out better. I was looking forward to him retiring many more Cowgirl qbs over the years.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 7, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

No, but we signed Arsenio Hall to take Vinny's place on the radio

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I did like Vinnys respons to this uniform hoopla when someone askes about updating the skins uniforms, that its a francise with a great tradition and that uniform is part of the tradition, and that there are some teams that you should never see change things like a uniform, GB, CHI and Notra Dame were the ones that he mentioned.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

No, but we signed Arsenio Hall to take Vinny's place on the radio

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Good one JohnD, made me laugh.

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Woodley is paying 10 grand for his sack on JC monday night.

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"was good to hear me on the radio again"

um...narcissist much??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 7, 2008 1:55 PM

um... hating much?

lol

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"was good to hear me on the radio again"

um...narcissist much??

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Ummm. YESSSSS!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Schefter reporting we signed DeAngelo Hall

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter
Redskins land free-agent CB Hall

Posted: November 7th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: DeAngelo Hall, Washington Redskins

The Washington Redskins have reached a one-year contract agreement with free-agent cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The NFL really needs to stop with all the BS fines that they're handing out.

QB's like Young, Montana, Kelly, Elway, Marino, and those of that era, must wish they played now instead of when they did.

Of the QB's that aforementioned, two of them retired as a direct result of injury.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Hall is a great pick up.  He will be able to help us immediately.  AND we kept him from The Girls!

Posted by: captjim | November 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Skins sign Hall to one year deal!!

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse
That's huge! Now we have the best back 4 in football. Can anyone think of a D backfield that compares?

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

either this signing of hall was briliant, or we will look at it like people did the cowboys with Roy Williams... "you needed help on the other side"

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

Except if it doesn't work out, we won't have lost 3 draft picks in the process.

This is a no-lose situation. Well done Vinny.

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Except if it doesn't work out, we won't have lost 3 draft picks in the process.

This is a no-lose situation. Well done Vinny.

Posted by: psps23

Thats a good point psps

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Roy Williams caught the TD that beat Tampa Bay. How many TDs your three #2s have?

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 7, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Good point smack. Too bad you traided him for a number 1 and a number 3 and a big bag of dignity.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow....Just Wow...

How can Vinny sign someone on the same day as his radio show? What's wrong with that dude? He should be working on Monday's show.

Wow....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Great, we could have had another Bobby Carpenter.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 7, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but the problem for you guys - DFAN and SMACK1 - at the end of the day you are STILL COWGIRLS! Bwahahahahahah!

I'll never ever forget Dexter Manley planting Danny White and Danny crying on the sidelines. That was REDSKINS MAGIC!

Posted by: captjim | November 7, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse