Injuries/Playoffs To Tide You Over

Hey guys, behind it a bit here - really late night driving back, rough morning. Anyway, have a lot of kudos to throw around in the Monday Afternoon (hopefully??) H-Back and will get that up when I get a second to catch my breath.

Still awaiting word on Rocky McIntosh, who is scheduled for an MRI today on his injured left knee. There was some concern about that situation last night, and we'll see how bad it is. Also, reserve tight end Todd Yoder limped off with a knee injury and I believe he will get an MRI as well.

I'll post what I hear as soon as those things get read.

As for the playoffs: The Minnesota game is essentially a must-win, though there are scenarios where the Redskins can still get in at 8-8 (spent my time in the car texting with Joe D, our resident playoff expert, and going over some possibilities.

Bottom line is every Redskins fan should be rooting just as hard for the Bears. If Chicago can win its final 3 games - beginning tonight at Minnesota - then the Redskins margin for error increases greatly. As it currently stands, the Redskins could win out, but would still need the Saints to lose one of their final two games (vs. Philly, at Chicago) to get in.

If the Vikings win tonight, then the Redskins would be eliminated from any playoff hope with a loss at Minnesota Sunday night. Should the Bears win tonight and then beat Green Bay and New Orleans at home, and the Vikings beat the Redskins but then finish 8-8 with a loss at Denver ... then with some other help the Redskins could still get in at 8-8 even with the Minnesota loss. (Keep in mind the Bears have not won consecutive games all season and are starting Kyle Orton at QB - though being a third string QB has guaranteed victory lately in this wacky season).

The Bears in this case would eliminate the Vikings from an in-division tiebreaker, then the Redskins would eliminate the Bears based on beating them head-to-head. In this case the Saints would have to drop their final two games (an 8 win Saints team has a tiebreaker on the Skins) and Carolina would have to lose at least once (vs. Dallas and at Tampa), because an 8 win Panthers team would have a tiebreaker over Washington based on NFC record.

Okay, my eyes are bleeding again. Need to pause for a second.

Now, at the risk of losing everyone entirely. The Lions can also eliminate an 8-8 Vikings team based on the division record tiebreaker should Minnesota beat the Skins but lose at Denver. The Lions - who have lost 6 in a row including two recent blowout losses - would need to win at home against mailing-it-in Kansas City, and then at Green Bay (though the Pack will likely be fighting Dallas for home-field advantage).

Got all that?

So, in summary, the Skins still do not control their own destiny. Even finishing 9-7 they will need one Saints loss or two losses by the Giants to definitely get in. At this point a 9-7 Skins team could finish as high as the 5th seed, or, without help, as low at the 7th seed, and out of the postseason (should the Giants finish win 10 games and the Saints run the table to go 9-7).

So tonight's Bears-Vikes game is huge. You all have homework. Go out to the bar, have a good time and get every swinging soul out there rooting his guts out. (To me, I think the idea of the Skins getting in at 8-8 requires way too much heavy lifting by far too many near-awful football teams, but it's definitely not impossible).

And if the Vikings win tonight and beat the Skins Sunday night, then Washington will be eliminated.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 17, 2007; 1:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is It Monday Night Yet?
Next: Monday Afternoon (Barely) H-Back

Comments

panties

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Jasno- You had me at hello.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

4-12 are you trying to tell us something? lmgo

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think it is very likely the Saints will lose one, but am I the only one who thinks it is even MORE likely that the Giants will lost their next two?

Posted by: LiberalMike | December 17, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, it does appear to be Man-date Monday here on the blog.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

jm220 eats bacon pancakes.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

From the other blog...luv the Gervais podcasts...

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Adam maybe you guys can call add this woman to the roster.

jm220

ROTFLLMAO!

Coat, scratch the teamsters guys, we've got a candidate who can already infiltrate the Pats locker room using a press pass.

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

4-12 just hearing Nate talk about that made me sick.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Skins win out and they get in. Don't and they don't. Seems to me all the formula stuff will prove irrelevant.

Biggest game other game on Sunday for us was Eagles-Cowboys. Dallas will likely need to the season finale against us to keep home field. That makes it tougher.

One plus for the Skins for the last 2 games. They had extra rest going into NYG game. And they'll have a bit more than the Vikes who play on Monday night.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

jm220 still laughing as I picture the philly reporter screaming (a la Dave Chappelle)

"I'm Alycia Lane, B*%&H!"

Now that's must see tv

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, don't you need to dash off to a webcast? Note, I'm going to ask about which knee Rocky had scoped and scraped last spring. If you don't know the answer, don't open anything from anyone in DC.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Snake Plissken

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Bacon Pancakes really sound like the worst thing I can imagine.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

One very important thing Jasno left out of the playoff possibility rant

TODD

Posted by: trailblazer658 | December 17, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Dallas will likely need to the season finale against us to keep home field. That makes it tougher."

I agree ZC, but I prefer it this way. I'd rather we be in position to take something from Dallas with a win (in addition to securing our own playoff spot).

Posted by: LiberalMike | December 17, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to beat Dallas' back ups. I hope they all play and we kick it!

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"Bacon Pancakes really sound like the worst thing I can imagine."

If by worst you mean best ever, then I'm right there with you. Hear, hear!

Posted by: jspaceman72 | December 17, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins cannot get in if they lose to Minnesota, so that portion of the post is wrong. No matter what happens in any other games the rest of the season, if we lose to Minny, that means we will finish behind the Giants for one WC spot, and at best tied with the Vikings for the 2nd, even if Minnesota loses their other two games. And, if we finish tied with Minnesota, they get the tiebreaker after beating us head-to-head. So it is impossible to make the playoffs if we lose next week.

Losing to the Cowboys is a different story. If we lose to Dallas after beating Minnesota, we can still get in if the Saints lose their final two and the Vikings lose to either the Bears or Broncos.

And, no one is mentioning the Giants. If we win our last two and the Giants lose at Buffalo and to New England (a very real possibility), we pass them. This week its go Bills and go Eagles. If we win out there is probably a 50% chance we will finish in the top WC spot.

Posted by: bobbobcat | December 17, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Playoff take: I would prefer us to win out. I hope Minnesota wins tonight. I hope NO loses next week, and or Gents lose 2. AND I hope Dallas wins and GB wins this weekend. Bottom line is I want the Skins/Cowboys game on Dec. 30th to be for us win/get in, them home field throughout. My opinion above means we get in playing teams that are legit. Getting to the playoffs is a great goal, winning in the playoffs is an attainable goal if we beat the better teams in the NFC. Last night was step one.

Posted by: csquaredskins | December 17, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I always thought we had a good chance to catch NYG. But they played just well enough to get to 9-4 and we let too many slip away. Even now, its possible to catch them.

Are the NYG receivers the worst ever? Eli wasn't great, but even when his guys caught the ball, they went backwards and gave up fist downs. Just bad.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's win out and settle this like men.

sams3, I am guessing that like jm220 you are not a fan of eating pig parts. I respect that. Sorry for grossing you out. But I have to tell you, as an unabashed meat eater with a sweet tooth that won't quit, I was just clobbered by that plate of bacon pancakes. It was... great.

I need to get back over there for a Dutch baby so I can settle that Dutch oven question for you! I guess there's a good chance of having a nice pot of coffee poured over my head by a savvy waitress. But I run that risk every time I visit a restaurant.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

ongoing bro-mances and I was aware... wow.

Posted by: Dorf | December 17, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Any coincidence that a guy named "Todd" won Survivor: China last night? I think not!

Posted by: gibs10 | December 17, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

i don't know the scenarios but it would be possible to lose to the vikings and still beat them out in a tiebreaker if there are more than 2 teams tied for the last spot. for example, imagine a vikings, lions, skins tie with the vikings beating the skins, the skins beating the lions and the lions winning a head to head versus the vikings (is this scenario it would be 2-0) then the tie breaker i believe would be conference record and theoretically that could be the skins.

Posted by: highwireprod | December 17, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

What makes bacon pancakes taste so good? Substituting maple syrup for a healthy drizzling of lard?

Posted by: dbowen11 | December 17, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I was just clobbered by that plate of bacon pancakes. It was... great.

This geeked me out lol.

I eat meat, there is just something about pancakes mixed with bacon that freaks me out alittle. I think im more into fruit pancakes. Bacon is more of a side thing to me.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LiberalMike | December 17, 2007 02:17 PM

Nope, you're not the only one. If I were the sort of guy who bet money on things, this is the sort of thing on which I would bet money.

Lookit: Shockey's done. Plax is hurt. Eli is redefining the word "unstoppable." Buffalo has them at home. Strahan needs orthodonture. New England is New England.

And here's my ultimate prediction for Week 17: The Jints will need to beat NE to make the playoffs, but that won't happen, the Jints will all be sad boo hoo, and Chris Berman will refer to New England as "Tom Brady and the Heartbreakers."

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay, at this point I'm going all in and name-dropping that other precious Portland confection, from our own Voodoo Doughnuts, the maple bacon doughnut.

Yes, that's right, boys, a maple bacon doughnut.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I completly concur with Nate...unless you've been there, you'd have no idea about this place. There isn't anything on the menu that they do badly.

Here a link to their website and their DC area locations:

370 West Broad St.
Falls Church, Virginia 22046-3319
703-891-0148

7700 Wisconsin Ave Store D
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
301-986-0285

12224 Rockville Pike
Rockville, Maryland 20852
301-468-0886

Posted by: dchandler | December 17, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Voodoo Doughnuts will deliver a maple bacon doughnut to the North East? I'm drooling just thinking about it and a bacon pancake.

Posted by: BCBarney | December 17, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that's right, boys, a maple bacon doughnut.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 03:02 PM

Those words do not belong in the same sentence together. Just because you can make an abhomination like that doesn't mean you should.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

No, adding maple syrup to a healthy drizzling of lard.

Nate, I'm dying to try said pancakes. I'm gonna tell my wife, who I know will love the idea, and will make them at first chance (she makes some killer pancakes). How big are the pieces of bacon. Is it chopped up bacon bit size? Larger?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Definitely some split opinions on the subject of adding bacon to things!

Posted by: BCBarney | December 17, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Food critique from a British Expat. LMGO!

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Once again....

Here's a link to great Portland place.

Posted by: dchandler | December 17, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Food critique from a British Expat. LMGO!

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 03:09 PM

ENGLISH, not British. I come from the 'dull, grey-coloured food' part of the country rather than the 'deep-fried pizza and mars bars' part of the country.

That said, I was once a bake for a living. Doughnuts need no other filling than jam (jelly) - they're supposed to be sweet, stop sticking savoury stuff in them! And vicer-versa, I love bacon but that doesn't mean I want a piece of melon with it for my breakfast!

(Rant Off, proceeding to pleace of inner calm)

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

What is the tiebreaker that we have over the Giants if we both finish 9-7?

Posted by: mvk20 | December 17, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant 'baker' not 'bake', as 'bake' would make no sense at all.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

zilla, there were tons and tons of tiny little crispy bacon bits, throughout the cakes.

I'm no chef, but it seemed to me that not only were the bacon pieces in the batter, but that some additional bits had been been sprinkled atop the cake while its first side was cooking, so that whilst cooking the second side a little extra goodness was unleashed. But this cannot be confirmed.

Locations in Seattle and Kirkland. We can go there for a victory dinner after we beat the Shehawks in the playoffs.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I can hear Redcoat screaming already

"You can't have any bacon pancakes until you finish your orange juice? How can you eat your pancakes until you finish your juice?"

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I screwed up the whole English/British thing again. Sorry Redcoat. :)

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant 'baker' not 'bake', as 'bake' would make no sense at all.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 03:16 PM

When I see words that make no sense I just assume it's a British thing, like jumper and sweater. I figured maybe you guys called your selves bakes.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 03:16 PM

Word. I'll bring my new gentleman friend.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

No problem 4-12, I was just pulling your leg.

Adam, I would have to be shouting that in a Scots accent as the schoolteacher was Scottish in The Wall. Now see above grumpy post.

Seriously, I love (real English) bacon, like American and Canadian bacon, and have even grown to love pancakes, although still in the traditional British way I have lemon juice and a sprinkling of sugar on them. Try it sometime.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Those damned scots!

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Like lemonaide, or pure azz lemon juice?

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Pure azz lemon juice" as you so wonderfully put it sams3!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

coat

So Great Brittan = England + Scotland + (currently) the Republic of Northern Ireland?

No wonder I couldn't figure out which bills were which in Belfast. First time I got Royal Ulster Pounds from a local ATM, I was sure I had been ripped off (no joke).

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

bcb, from the previous post, sounds good about catching a game. My usual crew for watching a game is the wife and our 3 kids, and they never last long.

I'm curious to hear about Rocky and Yoders MRI's. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 17, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

As opposed to the United Kingdome, which was demolished a few years back.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Daniels was talking about Dirty 30 and how it reminded him of Sean first year.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat- All that learnifying I did in school, re: English/British/Scottish and like such as, appears to have been purged from my brain, replaced with all the songs my now 12-month-old loves!

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Good to see the blog in full gear chatting about the qualities of bacon pancakes. Great to be stateside for this little run. I love watching them in HD. I've been catching up on some of the stateside coverage that I miss from overseas but is it just me or should B. Mitch drop the 'M'? Dude wants to keep 'dirty-30' from his Eagle days.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 17, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

As you know Toddcoat, If I'm anything I'm a wordsmith...

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

jm- Heard Doc Walker show this a.m.
He calls Laron the 'Grim Reaper'. Just sounds wrong.
Apparently, his name for Sean Taylor (R.I.P) was 'Tarantula'.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Adam, Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Irish Republic is in the South.

But The Royal Ulster Bank and Bank of Scotland print their own versions of pounds which are still legal currency (though usually get their legitimacy questioned) in England too.

Sorry for all the confusion in the old country, it's a pain for the people from there too!!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

What is the tiebreaker that we have over the Giants if we both finish 9-7?

Posted by: mvk20 | December 17, 2007 03:15

I think it would be common opponents. We would be identical in:

1. Head-to-head

and

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

next up:

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

We would be identical in all common games except Minnesota. They lost, we would have the win.

Posted by: washingtonpost | December 17, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice to have a starter -- #30 -- who is dirty. Also, some depth in K.Campbell -- #50 -- who is shifty.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

" Doc Walker show this a.m. ... calls Laron the 'Grim Reaper' ... Sean Taylor was 'Tarantula'."

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 03:37 PM

The man is just confused. Also, I don't think he is really a doctor, even though he plays one on the radio.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, still worrying up here about Rocky's knee ... and whether it was the same one that they've been scoping and scraping.

Question: In the first picture in the "see Rocky's photos" (below his picture), is Danny Smith "passing" something so that he doesn't get accusing of bogarting it? http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=5446

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

dcelerysween- He's really an insurance salesman for Nationwide, based on the billboard on Route 50 by Freeway airport that I see on the way home every night.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sween;

He is instructing rocky in the finer points of the NFL for a young player...

"Its Puff, Puff Give Dammit!

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 17, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, dudes, lay off, it's medicinal, man, for his glaucoma.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

4-12, roger that on the brain-fade induced by young-uns. It's easy to remember the relationship between the 'home countries' (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland), the latter three all hate the English!

Viz the Scots sing "Flower of Scotland" before rugby matches...

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see - Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

And the Welsh sing "Land of My Fathers"...

Though the enemy have trampled my country underfoot,
The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
The spirit is not hindered by the treacherous hand
Nor silenced the sweet harp of my land.

And the Irish sing "Ireland's Call"...

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more...
For the four proud provinces of Ireland.

But we English of course still sing "God Save the Queen" as we don't care what the others think!! :)

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla, the post about your new gentleman friend just had me guffawing in the Washington Post newsroom. Thank God I'm in sports, where they expect such oddities.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

sween- Never mind. A quick search of the intergoogles shows my billboard Doc to be one "Aubrey" Doc Walker.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 03:44 PM
Although if your doctor had the same bedside manner as Walker, you'd definitely know the value of a second opinion.
One that you can understand.

Posted by: daggar | December 17, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realise the was a Toddimatum going on! I might have to start DBMGO!!

Posted by: kost52 | December 17, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

You guys are killing me with this bacon and Toddcake thing. I'm starving. By the way, how can something that looks so positively disgusting (bacon before it's cooked and the subsequent fat in the pan) taste so damn good with just about anything. Speaking of which, anyone ever hear of crackling cornbread. Basically, cornbread with chunks of bacon and jalopenos for those who like a kick. It is f'n awesome.

cosmofla

Posted by: squashmo | December 17, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I thought Doc Walker sold cars for Sterling BMW?

I'm confused now...

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Hello Everyone!
How about that road win last night over the G-men? I was pleasantly surprised. Hey, the running game was even back last night.

Does anyone know of a website that displays how you your opponents have fared this season?
I'm interested to see how tough our schedule was in 2007?
Thus far after 14 games, I totalled it up, and our opponents have a 90-77 record.

Can anyone help me?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | December 17, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Just because you can make an abhomination like that doesn't mean you should.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 03:06 PM

How do you explain most English food? I'd even give you partial credit for bangers and mash, but only about a million different cultures figured that one out.

Posted by: daggar | December 17, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, you're welcome. And thank YOU for your "Man-Date Monday" quip. I've only had the Bangles stuck in my head for the past hour or so.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

cload, are you suggesting that English cuisine aren't tops in your book? The English were boiling cabbage before it became trendy. And nothing says yum like cucumber and butter on white bread sandwich.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So, to sum up what we've learned today, nothing would be better than sharing a bacon-filled, maple Voodoo donut with a "gentleman friend" while listening to the Bangles.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I have a question, lets say the Saints lose a game, and we win out, and make the Playoffs. If Soup is healthy, do they start him? Or stick with The Todd?

Posted by: kost52 | December 17, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Kost! Yes, there's a Toddimatum!!!! Get going, bud. Er, mate. G'day!

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Random coments on English gastronomic excellence:

1) Boiled meat
2) Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease)

Reject all English notions of what constitutes good food. It's for your own good.

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

They stick with The Todd. They have to. It's a chemistry thing. On another matter, have we paused to note that Kaka was named Fifa's player of the year? Oh, how I wish Kaka played in the NFL.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

RedskinRay, I can't think of any site off the top of my head for the comparison you seek, but I do recall someone up here recently note that going into the season we had what was billed as one of the easiest schedules, but as of a few weeks ago it turned out that we had one of the toughest.

postgameheroes.com has lots of good stats and stuff which may help, or at least may be of interest, or so I am told.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Kaka is code in New York for "Eli Manning".

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Cload, I give no apologia for British food, I don't rate it highly either. That's why we've adopted food from other places and eat that instead.

I just stated that in my humble opinion the items Nate mentioned have no business being combined in the same edible.

And 'sween, I think you'll find the Russians were boiling cabbage before there even were Brits!!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone bothered to mention the following:

1)Anyone who thinks Minnesota, playing as well as they have been playing the past month, is likely to lose back to back home games better think again. The Redskins absolutely NEED MINNESOTA TO WIN tonight if we have any hope of beating them on Sunday.

2)Buffalo has much less incentive now to beat the Giants this week, now that they are officially out of the playoff picture. The giants could easily still blow this one, but it's looking a lot easier for Eli and the Giants to get a win now that the bills are out of it.

3) Dallas's loss obviously hurts the Skins since they're now very likely to need that win in week 17 to secure home field throughout the playoffs, and instead of benching Tony Romo, T.O and the rest of the key starters, now we'll likely have to face them.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 17, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cindy! Nothing like a Matum to inspire some drunk blogging!

Posted by: kost52 | December 17, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Random coments on English gastronomic excellence:
1) Boiled meat

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 04:11 PM

Tafka, I ate some bad meals growing up, but the only boiled meat I had was boiled bacon which goes with pease pudding (hot) and mushy peas for a nice filling (very cheap) Winter meal. What boiled meat did you have?

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

A little Westbrook story:

With nothing between him and the goal line in the closing minutes of Sunday's win over Dallas, the only thing that could stop Brian Westbrook was the bellowing of teammate Jon Runyan.
The Eagles were clinging to a 10-6 lead over their hated rivals with just over two minutes left when Westbrook broke through the line and into the open field. But rather than scoring the touchdown that could have put an emphatic end to a big upset, Westbrook stopped at the 1-yard line and went to the ground, allowing the Eagles to run out the clock on the Cowboys.
All because he could hear his right tackle's earlier advice in his mind and urgent orders in his ear.
"I got a stern talking-to by Runyan right before that play," Westbrook said after the game. "He said, 'Listen, if you're down to the 1, take a knee."'
Westbrook didn't know if it was a good idea, but Runyan did.
"He was like, 'Take a knee, Westbrook, take a knee.' "
Runyan was so sure it would be better for the Eagles to run out the clock rather than score and risk a freak comeback, he pursued his running back downfield on the play, yelling the whole time.
"I looked back and I saw all 6-7 or 6-8 of him running toward me saying, 'Get down,'" Westbrook said.
"So, I got down."
Eagles coach Andy Reid credited Westbrook's Villanova education for the decision to stop short of the goal line, but at least some credit should go to -- in the words of Bo Schembechler -- a Michigan Man.
"They were going to let us score to get the ball back, so I suggested this because then they won't get it back," Runyan said. "In a crazy game like this, you never know, you are a long kickoff return or a crazy play and an onside kick away from possibly losing the game."
Reid admitted Monday that Runyan is "a smart guy," but said he was more impressed that Westbrook -- who isn't really programmed to throttle down in the open field -- was able to listen to his tackle's advice.
"Whether Jon Runyan was making the call or not, for a running back to execute it and understand what's being said when you're going in for a touchdown is something else," Reid said.
"Sometimes it's hard to get a guard and a tackle to communicate, let alone a running back who's 15 yards down the field to listen to his offensive tackle."
Reid said he hopes Westbrook's unselfishness is rewarded Tuesday when the results of the Pro Bowl voting are announced.
"I have a hard time believing anybody is doing it better than he's doing it right now at the running back position," Reid said. "He blocks, he catches, he runs. ... He's a valuable guy in a lot of areas. And he's not just OK in those areas, he's special in those areas."
Westbrook leads the league in yards from scrimmage with 1,896 yards and is tied for second in the NFC with 12 touchdowns. If not for his offensive tackle, he would have one more.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

sween, I've had my best mind grapes working on it, but I can't come up with anything on "Danny Smith is such a bake" to tie together those two earlier...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

1) Boiled beef shoulder - similar to warm shoe strings
2) Boiled lamb - similar to warm athletic shoes
3) Boiled pork - the floating fat was spectacular.

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I will make one last comment on English cuisine.

This restaurant regularly appears as #1 or 2 in lists of the world's best. The menu items are quirky but taste incredible.

So it can't ALL be bad food in Britain.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

You can't outbake Danny Smith.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

A Planes, Trains and Automobiles odyssey for an entire NFL team??? Wow.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Tafka, I suggest someone is playing an elaborate joke on you.

And after the first 'boiled' meal, why would there even BE a second and third?

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Westbrook baby. It's amazing how a team with one good player and nothing else of any value can win 6 games and the redskins only have 7 wins.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

You can't outbake Danny Smith.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 04:25 PM

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Well looky here at this Fat Duck tasting menu, Red Todd. Tell me this isn't a distant cousin to the bacon pancake and maple bacon doughnut:

NITRO-SCRAMBLED EGG AND BACON ICE CREAM (2006)
Pain perdu, tea jelly

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 04:12 PM

Cindy, me thinks you like the brazilian men?

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 17, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

It would be kinda funny if the Iggles missed the playoffs because they came up short on the point-differential tiebreaker....

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Toddcoat -
When one is visiting family friends, the host often determines the menu. In this case, the host decided it would be fun for his grandmother to cook traditional meals. I'm sure it was fun for them, watching our reactions.

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It tastes like egg and bacon but it's made in the same way as ice cream Nate.

Blumenthal's food cannot adequately be described, you need to eat it, then you get it.

But I'll grant you that it doesn't sound proimising!!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

NITRO-SCRAMBLED EGG AND BACON ICE CREAM (2006)
Pain perdu, tea jelly

Nate- I hope that's not from the wine list.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I was subjected to a boiled dinner here in New England. Basically, cabbage, a smoked shoulder and various vegetables all in one pot. Everything tasted like cabbage. As someone that dislikes cabbage, let's say I've never had seconds. No boiled anything for me. I second Todd/Redcoat!!

Posted by: BCBarney | December 17, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Cyn, but Philly is going to come up short because we couldn't field a couple of punts.

Ironically, who originally made the Iggles as a punt return specialist. That's right, one Brian Westbrook.

Turns out he really ought to be our entire team this season.

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 04:34 PM

It still sounds like you've been the unwilling victim of a perverse sort of 'joke' Tafka. I'm pretty old and from working-class stock and I never ate anything remotely like what you were describing!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

New post from Jason.

Posted by: tafka | December 17, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

LaRon apparently has a sort of blog going on this site; I found this mea culpa on that fifteen-yarder from last night but can't find any other entries... weird.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Sellers will be enjoying a re-run of "House" instead."

Posted by: jgperras | December 17, 2007 01:07 PM

This one, I like, but something tells me he TiVos fishing shows.

Also, how awesome was ARE introducing himself on the NBC rundown of the starting lineup?

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 01:17 PM

Jgperras- that was hysterical.

Sween my man- the ARE intro caught me off guard and I almost spit my drink all over the living room table trying to hold in my laughter. Dude has a great sense of humor...

Posted by: Barno1 | December 17, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The Madden simulation this week for the Eagles vs. Dallas game was the Eagles winning 13 - 6. I laughed hard at that when I read it on Friday.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse