'Interchangeable' Parts: Horton, Doughty

From Jason Reid:

Rookie safety Chris Horton, who had a key interception late in the third quarter, started ahead of veteran Reed Doughty for the first time. Horton was selected as the NFC's defensive player of the week after intercepting two passes and recovering a fumble during his first start in a Week 2 victory over the Saints, but Doughty had flu-like symptoms and was unable to play.

"Reed's handled it well," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "These guys are so interchangeable, it's not even funny. Sometimes, you just go with the hot hand, the guy who's got the hot hand. Reed came in and Reed played well. Chris was on the field at the same time."

Horton and Doughty each were credited with three tackles. Horton, however, also made a major mistake in pass coverage that contributed to Romo and tight end Jason Witten teaming on a 21-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter.

"He's got a long way to go," Jackson said. "But the kid's tough, he's mentally tough, he doesn't back down from a challenge. We just put him out there and give him a chance to make plays."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 30, 2008; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins No. 1 in Sagarin Ratings
Next: Philly Stakes Defensive Rep on Linebackers

Comments

I think you need to keep going with the kid.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 30, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Interchangeable? Really?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 30, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

+++Look, Jason Campbell is playing very well. I can admit that. However, this is only a few games, and the season is long. I want him to continue his success, but I also want us to make sure that we don't get too excited over these past few games.

However, if you were thinking trade...now would be the BEST time!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 30, 2008 1:22 PM+++

Wow, talk about a COINCIDENCE. I AM thinking trade.

The ONLY problem is making sure you get appropriate value in the trade. And frankly, I'm not sure we could get anything in a trade for you, Sports_Guru. Tho it sure is worth a try.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 30, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If we can get $2 Corkczar. I say make the trade.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 30, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru for Larry Michael?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 30, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Similar to the old guy/young guy conundrum we'll have when Heyer gets healthy... but different because secondary is so different from O line.

I love hearing the confidence the coaches have in both these dudes, and I don't think they're just blowing smoke.

(And how about the other dimension to this, that these guys are effectively replacing Sean Taylor... what a ton of pressure that must add, on some level...)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

If we could get someone that makes any sense at all that would be an upgrade. How about someone that owns up to past idiotic comments.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 30, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

JM, are you crazy??

If someone offers us a bag of dirt for guru, thats winner, winner chicken dinner for us.

$2 for him, and I'd have a hard time sleeping at night......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 30, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 30, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't trust AOL weather, but as of now they are predicting a high of 69 in Phila for the redskins game, under mostly sunny skies.

If the humidity is low, that means advantage REDSKINS.

I suspect Phila will use a lot of no-huddle, which means the 'skins won't be able to sub as much as they like. The cooler weather should keep the players fresher and lessen chances of cramping up.

I think going to the n0huddle asa change of pace is a GREAT underrated strategy. It sure worked for the Pittburgh's last night.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Corkczar | September 30, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru for Larry Michael?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 30, 2008 3:14 PM

Count me in!!!

I would love to replace him as the play by play guy for the Redskins, and host all those shows on the radio and TV!!!

Finally, the voice of the fan would be heard.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 30, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

ROFL!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 30, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

iS my impending fatherhood making me a softie if I admit being somewhat won over by sports_guru's recent conciliatory tone?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Corky, I agree with you for once. Jason always looked pretty good running the no huddle.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 30, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

cl, congrats on your status, and if I might borrow the blog hammer, please turn around, you've earned this....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 30, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

That would be a yes CL. Damn you! lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 30, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

(...And I know the age difference between Heyer/Jansen is far greater than that between Horton/Doughty. Just wanted to make a typically pointless point.)

(And ultimately this is about quality depth, DEEP depth, right? Which I guess means something like "hip hop hooray for Vinny")

(ahem)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Mom, Nate been drining again. lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

cL, I have to agree, there is a slight air of conciliation which is cloying...

But I also think that like a venomous snake he is coiled and ready to strike as soon as Jason Campbell makes a mistake... as he undoubtedly will, because he's still such a young QB in this tough league...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

What am i taking Crazy Pills. Interchangable!!! Agggg this is just insane. Hope i dont have to state this again ive been harping it for quite some time now Reed Doughty is not an NFL starter, backup fine but if Horton is interchangable with this guys which he isnt hes much better right now think about how well he will be if we start him full time.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Trying not to be sinnacle here, but when has Reed ever had a hot hand? I don't recall him being in any position to make a pick or fumble recovery, he seems to always be a step too slow.

Granted Horton is a rook, and prone to make mistakes, but isn't Horton's uncanny ability to make a play a greater good?

Posted by: ksquare | September 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

It's only freakin' TUESDAY???

We have a freakin' game to play, these w**k days need to be zooming past as quickly as possible. Good grief.

As worried as I am about this game, I am so excited... lust for mayhem! and etc.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

BTW. congrats cl. First one?

Posted by: ksquare | September 30, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, thanks all, daughter...halloween!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The reason that the two of them are interchangeable is because Horton delivers the big play and gives up the big play because of his inexperience. As he grows in his knowledge of the scheme, he'll become the full time starter and outdo Doughty easily.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 30, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Stu, ksquare, if the coaches are figuring out a way to use these two guys -- rotating and subbing and whatever -- as part of a secondary that so far is taking care of business, I'm going with the coaches' opinion...

I have never been a big believer in Doughty and thought of him more as a feel-good story role player type, but who knows, maybe they've figured out a way to use him that capitalizes on his strengths and mitigates his weaknesses...

And at times maybe that coaching strategy means making a choice like: Doughty will be in the right place but unable to cover his man vs. Horton may take himself out of the play by being in the completely wrong place

(Just vamping here to get us up and over the 250k barrier... I'll shut up...)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Congrats CL. I know you'll raise the girl to be an insane 'skins fan.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 30, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JFK...you know I will!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Honsetly the coaches dont look at them as interchangable I find that hard to believe. JLC just tryin to get the hand over.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Grats on the Daughter CL.

As for Sports Guru conciliatory tone or no I prefer him to Larry Michael any day. Heck as well as things are going I'm even giving my Danny/Vinny bashing a break for a week. Larry Michael gets no such respite though. Uhhg

Skinz

Posted by: Gweez | September 30, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me, or was the Miles Austin TD that but the lead to 2 totally on Reed Doughty? Looked like he was out of position, tried to sprint to where he was supposed to be, and then got caught off balance.

Posted by: LiberalMike | September 30, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Too great cL, too cool.

(Nate just made a whole comment in parens. Is that the same as thought bubbles?)

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 30, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Chris Horton = Alvin Walton, sans the mohawk of course.

Posted by: ksquare | September 30, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LiberalMike | September 30, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Might be right. There was another play late in the 3rd maybe forth when reed got hip check by a reciever and fell down while the guy picked up a first down, thats just being weak.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 30, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Trying not to be sinnacle here

Posted by: ksquare | September 30, 2008 3:29 PM

sinnacle is the
pinnacle of misspelling
call me cynical

Posted by: freakzilla | September 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

sinnacle rulz
spelling fascists drule

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, cL. Boy (girl?), is your life about to change. Prepare to be wrapped around your little girl's little finger. And cherish it. Tomorrow, she'll be five years old.

As for the Austin TD, Lib, I read an explanation that the Skins were disguising coverage, Austin improvised his route, and Doughty couldn't change direction on that ridiculous turf. No excuse, just an explanation.

Posted by: Good2bOK | September 30, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Start Horton, he is the man.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

BEEP

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 30, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Bit of an Egotist...but his Cowboys "Sven Tip" predictions were spot on and he's got some interesting theory on why the 'skins are better now...

"A Fond Farewell to the Hole-in-the-Roof Gang"

EXCERPT:

"Well now, that seemed to go well. Before I go gaga for the Burgundy and Gold, let me say some kind things to ease the burden of pain for Cowboys fans….

"Naah. Just kidding. Rot in your hole-in-the-roof Hell, suckers....

"I'll save my "Keys to Beating the Eagles" until later this week as I want to savor this one a little longer. Skins fans, bloggers, columnists and other experts have all weighed in with analyses and theories, but I haven't seen one other possible key to success mentioned:

Let's call it the "U" Factor...."

Link for entire column...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 30, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn essentially gave the Redskins yesterday off. Middle linebacker London Fletcher, however, put out the word he expected his defensive teammates to be at Redskins Park to review film and sort out some mistakes. Fletcher expressed his expectation that players come in on their own to watch the game tapes, and they obliged."

Guy has never been to the pro bowl. He's tied for 2nd in the league in tackles afte being 3rd last year. Look at the Skins defense before this guy came to town. Look at it since. Is he good, great, All Pro? Better. I'm saying right now that London Fletcher deserves to be a serious candidate for MVP of the entire league.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Horton pinched in on the Witten TD when he saw the fake to the outside...with a reciever already in the area he should have known better than to bite on that but why was Marcus Washington (a speed guy) getting outrun by the lumbering Witten?

Reminder: Doughty also gave up a TD when he bit on a slant and for some reason took the outside away. Playing outside leverage on a slant? Aren't you supposed to take away what the offense is trying to do?

Please keep Horton in...he at least flies to the ball in a manner reminiscent of a former Skins safety...the passive Doughty is more like the often abused and physically beaten Matt Stevens of the Norv Turner/Mike Nolan era.

Posted by: ninja_skipp | October 1, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone else notice Kareem Moore makin just about every special teams coverage tackle that dude was on it how bout making him interchangable with Doughty."

I saw him make it rain on Pac-Man during one return. I couldn't believe they didn't show a replay. Kid is a stud, just doesn't get any pub because of Horton's crazy knack for finding the ball.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 1, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse