Internet Aside, Horton Has a Solid Day (Updated)

Second-year safety Chris Horton lost his starting job this week to Reed Doughty, a move that defensive coordinator Greg Blache said was a switch of evenly-matched players. Sunday morning, though, Horton's Web site -- predator48.com -- posted a screed that called out Blache and highly-paid teammates DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth.

"We are paying Albert Haynesworth $100 million to play here," the post said in part (via Mister Irrelevant). "He has one sack and nine tackles through three games. That's a problem."

After receiving a call from a team public relations official, Horton -- whose name was not attached to the post -- had it removed. He said after the game that he had held a contest to allow a fan to blog on his site for the full season, but that he had not seen the posts before they went up.

"I'm getting this call, and I'm like, 'Wait, hold up? What's going on?' " Horton said. "I took care of it right away.

"One, you don't say anything bad about my teammates. I love these guys. I come out here, I fight with these guys. We bleed together. The guy's definitely going to hear about it. You can say that somewhere else, but don't put it on my Web site, because I'm trying to promote positive things. Don't talk about my coach and my teammates because you don't have a clue what's going on."

Horton played frequently in three-safety packages and on special teams in Sunday's win and was credited with being in on three tackles. He also recovered the fourth-quarter, third-down fumble that ended Tampa Bay's chances.

Doughty, meanwhile, was credited with being in on nine tackles, eight solo. That tied middle linebacker London Fletcher for the team lead.

Puckmeisters Visit FedEx

Remember how the Redskins rocked the red last spring? The Capitals returned the favor by rocking the burgundy-and-gold today at FedEx, Dan Steinberg reports.

Give Us Your Take

It's that time of day: rate the Redskins.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 4, 2009; 5:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smith on His Injury, Suisham's Game
Next: Moss Joins Elite Company with TD (Updated)

Comments

FIRST to say we won despite the QB play.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 4, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The skins are an average team, they are mediocre at best. In the words of Zorn: They are MEDIUM

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 4, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

From previous:

I can tell you right now that Snyder will fudge this up again and give Shanahan both the GM and coaching jobs. I have lived in Colorado since 96 and I can tell you the reason Shanahan was run out of here was b/c of his personnel decisions. Trust me you don't want Shanahan unless he is JUST a COACH. I would prefer to have Holmgren as GM and Gruden as coach. They could make this team into a winner today! There is enough talent on this team to win TODAY. It is being grossly underCOACHED in ALL areas. While I don't believe JC will lead us to the promise land, our overall talent can be used in a more useful way to make us a much better team with the current set of players.

Thank God for the Caps!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised by the win.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is less than medium. I would not trust him as a backup.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"We are paying Albert Haynesworth $100 million to play here," the post said in part. "He has one sack and nine tackles through three games. That's a problem."

----------

True.

Overall, AH is a positive addition, but he needs to improve his conditioning.

He could be even better...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The stage was set for a Buccaneers victory.

Our defense saves the day.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 4, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Gregg Williams fan. And, yes, I wish he had gotten the job.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 4, 2009 5:14 PM |

There is no better DC than GW. And Z hasn't looked good lately as HC. But I don't know if you can ergo that into the conclusion that he should have gotten the job.

Posted by: TubularBells | October 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"He said after the game that he had held a contest to allow a fan to blog on his site for the full season, but that he had not seen the posts before they went up."--RI

What? I thought Horton was a bright guy, but that's a little like turning your identity over to the next guy walks thru the door.

It's HIS site, not some contest winner. What did he think would happen?

Posted by: TheCork | October 4, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | October 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

WHA? Sure you can, he knew the team, the players. He had continuity. He might have failed but it was the smarter way forward than the Zorn Experiment.

Whateves, ancient history now.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

its so weird, the bronco's actually threw the ball to Royal, and the Giants actually threw the ball to Steve Smith....why can't we utilize all our 'weapons' instead of run portis left, run portis right, throw to moss/cooley(depending on who is more tightly covered), punt........

I hope ONE, just ONE reporter has the balls to ask why JZ why, 20 games into his tenure, why the play calling still sucks.....I also hope that JC gets benched, but thats for another day.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow...usually win or lose its crazy up here...today deadsville....

medium indeed.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Of course Horton had a solid day. He usually always has a solid day, and he's never been the problem on D.

He's been having a fine year, aside from on PI call that got him benched.

Posted by: p1funk | October 4, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

BG, i agree with your larger point....but maybe, just maybe DT/MK/FD suck while those other cats actually can play.

I mean you lead the chorus to not draft MK.

Cooley/Moss get balls partially b/c they have talent in spades...

the 07 2nd rounders...well I am closer to hanging the bust tag on these guys...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

reggie bush sucks....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

CAPS baby!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Marko Mitchell (6'4 touchdown catcher) or Anthony Aldridge (4.3 speed-change of pace RB)will be deactivate AGAIN next week.

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 4, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

cl, don't know how you can call them that, they were never given the chance to prove they can play....how many times this year have plays been run for them, except for the MIND-NUMBINGLY STUPID, TE screen to Davis....Sorry, what was the point of drafting them again if you're not going to throw to them....its either JZ, or JC, I just don't buy that these guys aren't getting open...I don't buy that for ONE SECOND....how did Kelly/DT go from playing well in the pre-season to nothing right now....makes zero sense.....not to mention that if you actually throw the ball to these guys, if you UTILIZE the players you have, it makes the jobs of Cooley/Moss/Portis that much easier, this is just offensive dysfunction at its highest...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

chris larry good point. I think its because we all know we stink and have so many problems all over the place. This team is terrible and has made the fans indifferent. I'll keep watching but don't care much about a team I know isn't going anywhere. I know Garcia is trash but I'd rather watch him or Collins then the turnover machine Campbell.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 4, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

if Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis played for the Colts, they all would be stars. They would catch 6-8 balls a game and of course some of those catches would be touchdowns. The colts will design plays to get the receivers the ball.

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 4, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't think MK, DT or FD 'suck."

Just because Campbell can't get them the ball doesn't mean anything.

And in this league, being "open" is not defined by what Moss did today on the TD (although having that kind of seperation is nice).

I watch as many games as I can each week, and the good QBs put the ball in there even when the coverage is decent. And the reason is simple: They HAVE to. In the NFL, the defenders are so good that the WRs cannot rely on getting 2 or 3 yards of separation on a regular basis.

If JC can't figure out how to make those tight throws, his career as a starter won't last much longer.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 4, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

BG:

Well firstly there was never, nunca, none, zero reason for drafting Fred Davis....

Also MK12 is the starting WR, he is out there a ton. He is not open. The plays today broke down enough that you could argue it didn't matter who they were run for if your open your gonna get some stuff thrown your way. Its obvious that DT/MK can't get open.

Also they make bonehead plays, MK12 holds on a portis long run...

Sorry they just are not that good.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 4, 2009 5:56 PM

I feel your frustration, but you can't bench JC after a win. He had a horrid day, but I think we need to see if the team, which rallied around him today, can muster anything going forward. We'll see; but benching him now will send the wrong message I think

Posted by: TWISI | October 4, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

listen I basically agree...you almost have to see what DT/MK would do with diff HC/QB before final verdict...

But they aren't absolved either. They seem to me to be not that good as well.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins is not much of an improvement over JC. The dude is a career journeyman backup. JC is the best the Redskins have right now.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 4, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I am a Horton fan but Reed played well today. Think he should probably stay in the starting lineup. Let's get it next week, one game at a time.

p.s. WE'RE GOIN TO THE SUPERBOWL!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Twenty posts after a Redskin game. Everyone else is posting on the Caps blog.

Posted by: MKadyman | October 4, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

One bad game, and JC is now a "turnover machine"? Some of you need to get a grip.

When he was setting a record for most passes by a Skins QB without an INT, people said he's too cautious.

Yeah, he played crappy today and the team still won. It happens to Big Ben all the time.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 4, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Turnover machine Campbell? You idiots are never satisfied. One minute he doesn't go deep and then when he does he turns it over...so now he's a machine. Six picks last year. Look it up dummy. I admired his poise and would much prefer if the offense peaks in December during the regular year as opposed to September. Move to Dallas moron. HAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lavararrington | October 4, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

wow saints def is soooo improved

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I really wish people would stop embarrassing themselves by mentioning Ben Roethliberger and Jason Campbell in the same post.

Their respective careers are worlds apart.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 4, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Peyton Manny's thought process prior to throwing: "the receiver is about to make his cut, throw the ball-Completion=================Jason Campbell's thought process: "the receiver is about to make his cut, he's coming out of his break, i should throw the ball, he's almost open, i should throw the ball, i think I'm going to throw now-ball thrown behind receiver-incomplete

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 4, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Their respective teams are world's apart. Big Ben's team beat the Skins last year with Leftwich at the helm... and Leftwich is so bad the Bucs benched him this year.

Last year: 17 TDs, 15 INTs. Most teams wouldn't make the playoffs if their QB posted those numbers.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 4, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

That is a fact pennstate1

Posted by: skinsflorida | October 4, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

it is easy to figure actually. JC stinks. He locks in to one or two wr's at most. If covered he panics. He had plenty of time today and he never once looked off a wr, or looked beyond his second option. If we had a QB that could go through a progression, I think you'd see the other wr's catch some balls.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 4, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 4, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

He also lost 7 fumbles. I think it's hilarious that people constantly overrate Big Ben. Once that defense falls apart he'll be on the bench. Their defense and special teams score a lot and set him up with great field position. If james harrison doesn't return that int then the Cards win the superbowl. Big Ben only leads a couple scoring drives a game. The defense does the rest.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 4, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Mike Singletary's 49ers are destroying the Rams....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 4, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Using that logic, NFL QBs should be among the lowest paid position.

Because it's all about the rest of the team making plays, not the guy who handles the ball on every offensive play (be it run or pass).

Yeah.

If I had to field a team tomorrow, I'd only choose Jason Campbell over one other starting NFL QB right now: JaMarcus Russell.

I'd take my chances with any of the other 30 over JC.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 4, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Not impressed with the win. They were lucky once more by beating a mediocre team. Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn & Campbell must go! Oh well, we can't fire the Danny Boy but he certainly can fire the other three.

Posted by: instigador | October 4, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The most interesting thing about this post is that the Redskins public relations staff has to micromanage the players off the field. One can only imagine what they demand of them ON the field.

Posted by: Xlnt | October 4, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd take my chances with any of the other 30 over JC.

Even the dude the Bucs started today?

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | October 4, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

We're 2-2. Was it sloppy...hells yeah! A win is a win baby! Hail!

Posted by: Smiley2 | October 4, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

They showed some shots of all of the WR's running their routes on one play, and maybe it was my imagination, but it sure didn't look like they were working very hard to get open.

Posted by: kenboy1 | October 5, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

I think JC's 1st half would have been a great excuse to bench him and give Collins a shot and see what he could do.

Posted by: kenboy1 | October 5, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Fair weather DC sports fans I love you. All of you talking that Caps BS will jump off that bandwagon as soon as the playoffs start and they choke and lose again. You folks kill me with your loyalty.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | October 5, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse