Is It Monday Night Yet?

As Jasno makes his way back from Joizey, Paul Tenorio sends this dispatch from Redskins Park:
Players this morning seemed relatively upbeat a day after beating the New York Giants to stay alive in the playoff race. With next week's opponent - and a major foe in the fight for an NFC wildcard spot - the Minnesota Vikings playing tonight on "Monday Night Football," many players acknowledged they would be watching the game closely while also saying what happens tonight won't matter if the Redskins don't win next week.
"I've heard about [the playoff scenarios], but that's the big picture and that picture we're really focusing on now is Minnesota and it doesn't matter what the big picture is if we don't get this one done in Minnesota," center Casey Rabach said.
Linebacker Marcus Washington said he will definitely watch the game tonight on TV, and defensive end Philip Daniels said the team knows the implications that tonight and next Sunday hold.
"Yea we're sitting on a good spot," defensive end Philip Daniels said. "We've got Minnesota coming up, they play tonight so you know who we're pulling for. We're right where we want to be, we play real good with our backs up against the wall. We got to go to a tough place to play, I've played there before, but I think we can go do it."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 17, 2007; 12:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Inactives/Other Stuff
Next: Injuries/Playoffs To Tide You Over

Comments

i'm first...wow...

great performance last night all things considered...

Posted by: carsonspence | December 17, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

2nd attempt to re-post this; loseable type indeed

hey 'coat

Philly is such a fickle town that the Dump McNabb bandwagon starts back up if he opens up the Saints game with a string of incomplete passes or a pick 6. Barring re-injury or other odd end of season happenings with his health, I'd think it would be pretty stupid for DMac to not be the Eagles starting QB in 2008. AJ Feeley isn't a legit starting QB (heck, even you guys gave up on him :)) and I can't see Kevin Kolb being ready to step in next year.

However, I may be biased so here's John Clayton's take on things

Adam

PS Congrats on win #1.

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Big Phil

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Boo, I missed a blog fight?

Never try to outwit a brit ;)

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 17, 2007 12:59 PM

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 17, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I just watch the hit by CP hit on Tuck. (nfl.com) Man he laid him out with that block. lol

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

And the best part of that CP block is that he didn't separate a shoulder doing it.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

You got a point there Cyn Cyty. I didn't even think about his shoulder.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yea we're sitting on a good spot," defensive end Philip Daniels said. "...We're right where we want to be..."

Um, I didn't know Philip Daniels played for New England.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Mike Sellers will be enjoying a re-run of "House" instead.

Posted by: jgperras | December 17, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

COME ON REDSKINS!!!!!! WE BELIEVE!!!

GO BEARS!!

Posted by: redryan400 | December 17, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I have to wonder if watching TC run this offense is helping JC? I mean I don't think watching, two step drop throw away nothing past 5 yards, Brunell could have been that informative for teaching purposes. Collins may not have had the best completion %, due to the wind and his arm, but he did not make mistakes and his timing is better then Brunell in this offense.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"Never try to outwit a brit ;)"

Isn't it, "never try to out-twit a brit?"

Posted by: jspaceman72 | December 17, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking how great it would be to have the Reaper these last couple of games. Then I thought about what one of the Pastors said during the funeral." At a IHOP in DC I asked Sean why he hit the punter like that". Long live the Reaper.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, is there an ultimatum (or even a penultimatum) in effect, and if so could we get an updated count and a reminder of the deadline?

Trouble on the Peter Pan route this morning then?

Also, this fellow Tenorio -- who is he again (the Loudoun/Wegmans correspondent?), and why isn't his name "Jason"?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Its a toddimatum, Nate.

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 17, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Never mess with a Sicilian when death is on the line?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 17, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Nate, you know as well as I that there is an ultimaTodd in effect, but I too would appreciate a blog count (now that MV has DROPPED HIS RESPONBILITIES ... YES, I'm talking to you, MV!).

mmmmmm ... IHOP

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Sellers will be enjoying a re-run of "House" instead."

Posted by: jgperras | December 17, 2007 01:07 PM

This one, I like, but something tells me he TiVos fishing shows.

Also, how awesome was ARE introducing himself on the NBC rundown of the starting lineup?

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Cindy Boren.

(I was kidding about the Eagles girl earlier, you're the only woman for me)

Posted by: Dorf | December 17, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Okay, speaking of IHOP, last week I had occasion to break my fast at a place called the Original Pancake House, right here in Portland.

I didn't see it as quite a big deal that they are the "original" location. since as an East Coaster I am much more familiar with the (unrelated) Waffle House chain. But these people know their way around a griddle. The bacon pancake was delicious. Tiny little bits of bacon baked right in. I want another one right now.

Need to go back and try another specialty of theirs, this supposedly divine baked confection called a "Dutch baby."

I *heart* pancakes.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

sween, what did ARE say?

Posted by: PDiddy | December 17, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Jasno got on the Tinkerbell bus by mistake....Tenorio is, indeed, our Wegmans correspondent. He does a fine job and, thank Todd, his name isn't Jason. (Although Todd Tenorio has a ring to it...)
The Damester is KILLING US...I guess MV doesn't stand for Most Valuable (hopefully that stinging slap will wake him up!)...We're at 135,895. And the Toddimatum was 150k by Christmas, I think. Without MV to count and with Nate looking after Nathan Jr. and Nathan III instead of focusing all his attention on the blog, I'm worthless.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

jm220, when I was cruising the Skins season stats a little while ago, I saw Sean's name at the top of our interceptions list. It didn't elicit the sharp sting of a few weeks ago, just a dull ache. I miss Sean.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Nate, Dutch Babies are amazing. And bacon pancakes sounds delicious. Heck, I'm going to go foraging for bacon pancakes right now!

Posted by: PDiddy | December 17, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Back atcha, Dorf.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The idea of this made me vomit in my mouth.

"Dutch baby" - Is this made in a Dutch Oven?

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Helluva win last night. TC wasn't spectacular but he didn't cost them. Thankfully just about the entire Gint roster seemed to have butterfingers last night. Brandon hands-of-stone Jacobs being the worst offender (although that drop by Toomer was pretty bad as well). Nice to see Portis have a big game. Seems like 2005 all over again - run the table and their likely in (still need to have NO lose though I believe).

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | December 17, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"Honey, I'll do the Christmas shopping this year."

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

sams3, just so you don't start crying about not getting props...

Any time you can fit Dutch Oven into a anecdote, I must abide.

Posted by: Dorf | December 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy, Randel-El had a smile like the cat who swallowed the canary and in a real slow, game show host voice, almost over-pronouncing every consonant, just said "My Name is Antwaan Randel-El and I am from the University of Indiana." [It was just a shti-eating grin that kind of said, "you ain't seen nothing yet -- I might even be QB before this game is done."]

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Bacon pancakes sound Toddtacular! I'll have to see if I can make something like this happen in my kitchen next weekend.

Brandon Jacobs is no Tiki. Missed quite a few screen/checkdown passes last night.

Posted by: BCBarney | December 17, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Forget about the scenarios. All we need is to win the next two and either Giants loose the next two or Saints loose one. Plain and simple.

If we loose one, we'll need a miracle. So tonight's game is not that important. What we need is to pull for Philly next week and for the Giants to loose next week (week 17 is a given, they go against the Pats, who belive me, will be playing with starters to get the perfect season for Egochick).

Posted by: SKINS4LIFE2 | December 17, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

How many times did Eli go to the check-down to Bradon Jacobs only to have Jacobs treat the pass as if it were life -threatening. I mean at some point in time, don't you take Jacobs out of there and put someone in who can catch the ball?

He must have dropped between 5-10 passes.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 17, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Unlike Austin Powers' father, I heart all things Dutch. Any blog interest in Ricky Gervais' live shows July 14-15 at the Gahden in NYC?

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Greg(Boston), exactly. I was worried that they were going to put that new Bradshaw kid in there. Probably has fresh legs, soft hands, and a motor. [For some reason, that link from 4-12 has affected my choice of adjectives.]

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

All the Skins need to do is take care of their own business. I guarantee a Philly win in the big easy Sunday.

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

TheC, SMACK and kost are Dutch. [*** fantasy post ***] They are the last two teams in the RI fantasy league. [*** end fantasy post ***]. I guess if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I can't believe that story actually said this establishment was "off the beaten path."

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Greg(Boston)-Where around Boston do you live? I live a little outside of Providence and would love to find another Skins fan around this area.

Posted by: BCBarney | December 17, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX,

Several years ago, I relocated from Alexandria to Lake Oswego. Please feel free to bring the family over and blog away while watching the Skins on our 50' plasma anytime you like.

And the Dutch baby rocks!

Posted by: dchandler | December 17, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, catching up from last thread after conference call. Tarnated yearly planning!

Thanks Adam, it's nice to get the first one, but it also stops us getting sympathy support from other fans the rest of the way.

Although maybe we can resurrect that if we beat the Pats. I suggest we hire some large men to engage their main players in fisticuffs (NOT under Marquess of Queensberry rules, or course) before they get to the stadium, that's probably our best chance, yes.

Either that, or just have Cleo start crying every time they blitz, then maybe they will back off.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 12:58 PM

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Yep, LIFE2, we just gotta keep winning.

3-0 in prime time so far this season -- MNF in week two, the Thursday nighter, and last night. Didn't we have a lot of trouble in prime time for a lot of years? Let's keep up the good work this coming Sunday.

SO we're hoping for a big Bear resurgence -- they not only visit the Vikings tonight, they also host the Saints in the finale.

We're all Bears fans today!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

TheCindy, isn't Gervais coming to the DC area? I could swing a night out to see him here (Mrs Red/toddcoat isn't a fan) but I'd have a little too much explaining to do to accompany your good self and others to NYC!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Looking at # 26's stats, I think he is on pace to have more receiving yards then any year in his career.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

For anyone else who has ever played backyard football on Christmas or during halftime of the Superbowl, you know how hard, cold and difficult a football can be to catch in inclement weather. For one, you've got to inflate the thing with twice as much pressure because air contracts in the cold. So its hard as a brick. Then if there's any humidity in the air, it coats the ball with a slickness making it nearly impossible to catch.

So no surprises on all the dropped passes last night. But extra props to the Skins' receivers for bringing those in -- Moss especially.

Posted by: RambleOn | December 17, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, I felt like that wasn't one of my best but good looking out. Props are my energy baby. It's how I crank out the hits.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

dchandler, that's very cool! Thanks.

My plans for this Sunday's game are up in the air, but I am committed to getting out for the finale versus Dallas. There are some other expat Skins fans in the PDX: Stumped, Redskin Willie, Stumptown Chris. Maybe we can make a plan. Let's confer.

Please drop me a line at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com when you get a chance, and we can figure it out.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought I'd see a little more love on here for Weird Al's playcalling yesterday.

It really tickled me when you guys ran the same play three times consecutively (Portis on play-action draw) and got about 30yds, 10 yds and 8 yds on it. If it works, why not use it again?

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Why is tonight's game important? Even if the Vikings lose, it still comes down to next week's game. And if the Vikings win, a Redskins victory next week would essentially give the edge to the Redskins due to the head-to-head tiebreaker. So, how does tonight's game matter (assuming the only real way the Redskins get in is to win both of their remaining 2 games)?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | December 17, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

At the moment, it appears that Ricky is only playing NYC and LA.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

BCB, I live in Weymouth, MA, about 45 minutes north of Providence.

Had Jacobs caught half the passes thrown his way, this would have been a closer game score wise...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 17, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The three draws in a row was the best thing I have seen out of them in a long time. Good call Toddcoat

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Todd,
I also enjoyed watching Portis go the field that series on the draws, I think that Betts scored his TD on the pump draw, maybe it was CP.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Big props on the dutch oven joke!

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

toddcoat

The fisticuffs thing sounds like a good plan. We in Philly are happy to loan you a few guys who assist in tallying the votes at local Teamsters meetings. E-mail the particulars to Vito, Vinny, and Tony the Chin and I'm sure they can work something out for you.

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 17, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Tonight matter when it comes to injuries watching how Min's playing. ect.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I loved the three draws in a row. One of those, we're going to keep running this until you stop it! Unfortunately, NY installed this play into their playbook in the second half. Worked pretty well for them too.

Greg(Boston)-drop me a line sometime, BCBarney at hotmail dot com. I live in Swansea(halfway between Providence & Fall River). I head to Waltham all the time as a lot of my friends are in that area. Maybe we can meet up for a game. Haven't watched a game with another Skins fan in years except my 3 yr old son!

Posted by: BCBarney | December 17, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

here's the item from rickygervais.com; maybe he'll get to dc:

Overpaid, Overfed and Over There

Ricky is going coast-to-coast on a stand-up tour of America in July 2008. From the Kodak Theater in Hollywood to Madison Square Garden in New York. HBO will film the tour for a TV special and a US-only DVD release.
Details of dates and how to book will be available at Christmas. Check back for updates.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

At the moment, it appears that Ricky is only playing NYC and LA.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 01:47 PM

From his website it sounds as though he will be playing more than just those two dates. It says dates will be announced at Christmas, so I'll keep an eye out for those.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Snap!

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the loan of the 'tallymen' Adam.

The thing that amused me the most about the 'three draws' episode of play was that the Gints defenders got this look like "that isn't allowed is it?" on their faces.

They were a perfect duplication of "unstoppable" Eli's earlier expression as pass after pass either missed the target or was dropped.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Fisticuffs: Turn em up... Turn mah shats up!

I'm serious... turn em up!

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Are you a fan of Eddie Izzard as well CynCyty? Or is Ricky your only diversion into UK comedy?

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Adam maybe you guys can call add this woman to the roster.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: December 17, 2007

A television news anchor from Philadelphia was arrested in Manhattan on Sunday after she punched a police officer in the face, the police said.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

For all their differences, most of the NFL's promising young quarterbacks share a striking similarity in the eyes of scouts and coaches: They can't touch Denver's Jay Cutler for sheer potential.

This was on espn.com. Quick questions, if he is so good why does he suck so bad? Also maybe we can get an interview with him to get a first hand accout of how Mario Williams' sack(s) tasted.

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Izzard is funny, but I do heart Ricky. Actually, all British comedy except for Benny Hill (I'm sorry, blogsters). Karl Pilkington kills me, altho he isn't really a comedian.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 17, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, any chance that you could revise the UltimaTodd down to, say, 140k? I know our investors won't like it, and it'll probably hurt our stock price, but it's almost Christmas and we have *lives*, you know! I still have to Christmas shop for my wife. They sell Gucci at Target, right?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I love how Cutler is a "strong buy" and Campbell is only a "hold."

Cutler and his fat face do nothing but loose games. Its unreal how people get the idea in their head that he is good because the media tells them.

It's like the media just sits around and decides who is good then no one will go against it like it is law.

Can someone tell me one good thing Cutlet has ever done?

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Benny Hill always baffled me, I just never found it funny once I turned 5.

Izzard is GREAT live, just one long flight of surrealism (e.g. God talking like Sean Connery and driving a speedboat). Karl Pilkington is scary because I went to school with several guys just like that. I take it you've been listening to the Gervais podcasts then?

LaCindy is on the (text-based) Internets airwaves at 2:30pm.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and sween:

BWI? Totally couldn't tell the difference.

I wanna come down to Lake Oswego and watch a game on dchandler's 50-foot plasma screen. That's gotta be something. ;)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Why is tonight's game important? ..."

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | December 17, 2007 01:47 PM

See the answer to this question and more in the thread. Beep beep.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me one good thing Cutlet has ever done?

Posted by: sams3 | December 17, 2007 02:20 PM

1. He ran Snake Plissken out of town and into retirement.

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"1. He ran Snake Plissken out of town and into retirement."

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 02:21 PM

Mmmmmm... I'll take Adrienne Barbeaux for $800, Alex.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

any chance adrian peterson (the vikings version) re aggravates that knee?

Posted by: trailblazer658 | December 17, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

trailblazer, that's my game plan for him tonight. I call it the "Urlacher Finally Shows Up" plan.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm... I'll take Adrienne Barbeaux for $800, Alex.

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2007 02:23 PM

The first time I saw that woman (I think it was in Creepshow) I had a recurring dream for a while afterwards where I always woke up burbling happily with my head buried in my pillow. :)

Posted by: toddcoat | December 17, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla,

I've always been known to overestimate the size of my "products".

But you're still welcome to come on over. The Traeger (www.traeger.com) will be humming all day with ribs, chicken and burgers on the back deck and the kegs will tapped early.

DC

Posted by: dchandler | December 17, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla,

I've always been known to overestimate the size of my "products".

DC