Is Eagles' Offense for Real?

The Philadelphia Eagles looked like a juggernaut during the first six quarters of the season, crushing hapless St. Louis and seemingly on the way to beating Dallas at the half of their game in Week 2. Based largely on the basis of those six extraordinary quarters of offensive football, Philadelphia remains near the top of the NFL in several categories.

But is the offense for real? Are the Redskins more likely to see the Eagles' attack from the first couple of weeks, or the past two?

Philadelphia sits sixth in the NFL averaging 364.8 yards per game. They rank fifth in passing (276 yards per game), and seventh in scoring (27.5) per game. But it's kind of a mirage. Lately they have been starved for yards and points at crucial moments. The bulk of those gaudy stats were built on the damage done in the first six quarters of the season.

The Eagles have scored just four TDs in their last 10 quarters - the second half against Dallas, a win over Pittsburgh and a loss to Chicago. They have scoring one TD in six trips to the red zone in the past two games. With running back Brian Westbrook battling an ankle injury and the offensive line ailing as well, the Eagles have stalled, and quarterback Donovan McNabb's torrid start has tailed off.

McNabb ranks ninth in the NFL with a healthy 95.7 passer rating, but, again, it was all built on his first six quarters of work. Over the past 2½ games, McNabb has thrown two TDs and two INTs (he had four TDs and no picks in his first six quarters), for a modest 558 yards and a weak 78.24 rating.

Now, the Eagles could be on the road to recovery, getting San Fran, Atlanta and Seattle the next few weeks. But the defense has been largely overshadowed by the early offensive output, but is seemingly the better unit, at least to me. Any time you're holding opponents to 2.6 yards per carry through a quarter of the season, that's pretty special, and even with corner Lito Sheppard making some noise and still angling for a trade (read: new Rosenhaus contract), they have enough talent in the secondary to be a formidable pass defending club as well, especially with the abundance of sacks created in Jim Johnson's scheme (Philly leads the NFL in this regard and crushed Ben Roethlisberger eight times in a win over Pittsburgh).

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 1, 2008; 8:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs' Coverage Extended to T.O.'s Home
Next: Springs: "I'm Not Missing an NFC East Game"

Comments

F Philly

We are going to whoop that A$$

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

The Zorn Identity

September 30, 2008 1:50 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

If I could just convince Redskins tight end Chris Cooley to tone down his language a bit on his fantastic blog, The Cooley Zone, we might feature him every day. His entry on the Cowboys game was priceless Monday. He gave coach Jim Zorn (Z) a lot of credit for his pep talks leading up to the game:

"The night before the game we talked about two things," said Cooley. "The first point was that it was going to take an unbelievable effort by everyone to win the game. Z talked about 'jumping off.' He's reading a book about Kit Carson and his trip from Missouri to New Mexico in the early 1800s. When someone decided to leave Missouri for further west they were jumping off.

"This was crazy dangerous and took a huge leap of faith and commitment. I know it sounds way corny and it did to us the night before the game, but if you think about it, it was relevant to our situation. Jump off to beat the Cowboys. Maybe Z is the pep talk expert. I mean, before the New Orleans game the topic was 'be excellent.' A line from George Carlin in 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.'

"The second thing we said is that when we get back in the locker room after the game, we will know we could have won the game. Whether we won or not, we knew that the Cowboys were a team we could beat. Obviously, winning was a much better option for us."

How good is that? I'll try to remember to ask Redskins P.R. chief Zack Bolno which Kit Carson book Zorn was reading, but I think it's this one. It's interesting that a coach at the professional level puts so much thought into inspirational messages. I know Tom Coughlin loves talking to his players about books he's reading. I know he was reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's book about Abe Lincoln when he arrived in Albany for training camp.

Not sure if Tom saw "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure," though. In one of the first speeches he gave during training camp, Zorn pulled down his jeans and told players how he didn't appreciate the "sag" look.

Jason Campbell told me that Zorn had players rolling in the aisles during his fashion talk. Zorn also went to the trouble of learning all the name brand jeans his players were wearing.

Of course, none of this works if you go out and lose games. But Zorn's willingness to show his human side has helped make this a relatively smooth transition.

Joe Gibbs is great and all, but I'm not sure he ever eased down his designer jeans to demonstrate the "sag" look.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Mornin, re-watched the game last night on NFL Network, came away with some things:

Rogers had a really good game after the first quarter. He seems to improving by leaps and bounds.

Jcamp looked GREAT. You could see him go through his progressions, primary reciever, secondary receiver, he never panicked, which was HUGE.

The DLine was SOOOO close to having a number of sacks, if not for Romo's elusivenss. They really did put him under a lot of duress during that game.

I watched Jansen, and he really did play well. His pass blocking wasn't the greatest, and I think Zorn said he got walked back into the qb once or twice, but he played solid. Part of that, to me, is that I think he's a mean old bastard on the field. I think he enjoys run blocking, because it means he can take his guy and just grind him into dust.

RThomas played a heck of a game as well. Sometimes we forget that he missed most of last year as well...

Thats all I've got...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

The offense is for real.

They are looking to get healthy, and they know a win at home against the Skins would do them wonders.

Remember they were without Reggie Brown the first 3 games, and without Westbook last game. McNabb was also banged up for half a game.

With Reggie Brown, DeSean Jackson, and Hank Basket, they can stretch the field as well as anyone, and Westbrook adds all the attacking dimensions and mismatches Reggie Bush does.

That said, I think we take the same approach as last week. Long, time consuming drives to keep their offense off the field, and exploiting the suddenly suspect D in the red zone will create pressure on their offense to score and hopefully make some mistakes.

Going to be a tough game, though. Our second road game in a row, second divisional game in a row, second playoff contender in a row... But if we can get the win we basically are in the drivers seat next to New York.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 1, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

This offense is clearly not the same without Westbrook but still capable of putting up some points on anyone.

It will be interesting to see how the Skins OL will handle the run stuffing that Philly has demonstrated so far. If they are able to make us one dimensional, it could be a long afternoon. I always remember the Iggles games being knock down drag out affairs and I see this game shaping up the same way. I still think when the dust settles, Skins 4-1, Iggles 2-3.

Posted by: splitbill | October 1, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

First line of the fourth paragraph:
The Eagles have scored just four TDs in their last 10 quarters - the second half against Dallas, a win over Philadelphia and a loss to Chicago.

That second win ("over Philadelphia") was the 15-6 win over Pittsburgh IN Philadephia.

Posted by: RickyRage | October 1, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Give the blog to Hootie!

Posted by: KelliJohnsonIsHot | October 1, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I think Philly's offense is good. I'm interested to seeing how the skins defend their widouts. If Westbrook doesn;t play, who do the skins game plan to stop?

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

First off, great win on Sunday! As much as it pains me to say this, Snyder and Cerrato saw something the rest of us didn't. Or, lightning struck. Either way, Zorn is one helluva coach. This team has come farther faster than anyone would have predicted. Regardless of what happens from here (and I think good things are in the air), this man can flat out coach. This is what many of meant when we said the game had passed Gibbs by. He ways always a step or two behind. Zorn has that killer instinct and coaches aggressive football.

The Eagles have had two effective weapons against the 'Skins: turnovers and the screen pass. We look like we're solving the turnover problem this year. Now focus on blowing up the screen pass. The Iggles live and die by the screen (Remember how Westbrook scored on us at Fed-Ex last year on that play). They love to use it, and they love to use it especially on us 'cause in years past it seems that we're always taken by surprise by that. I don't see Westbrook being able to make that play this week, but look out for it from whomever they plug in. Stop those two items and you win a big one on the road!

Posted by: Schroeder11 | October 1, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I see the game going to us but a low scoring one. Maybe 17-14 or 20-17.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2008 8:51 AM

People Philly's WR are not that good, we just faced TO, Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton. We also faced Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald and we shut them all down.

I am not buying Philly's recievers a rookie who has played well but who makes alot of boneheaded mistakes and two guys I have never heard of.

They need to worry about Santana Moss and our offense, we will throw all over them, just like the Pukes did.

Dallas was doing a great job of stopping the run as well until they played us, we can and will run on them.

We have lost for so long around here no one up here has any confidence in our team, stop worrying about Philly and start talking about how will they ever stop us.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Well?.....WELL?.....

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!?!?!?!

I couldnt find the time in my busy, non-computerized work week to post, until now. But Christ almighty!! We spanked that arse black, son! We dominated the F'n game!

Now we go to Philly, and while I remain optimistic, the Eagles always put up a fight, no matter where either team is at, record wise. Im expecting more of the same.

But if we can pull out a W in Philly, I will no longer doubt this team can win the division. We get the Giants back in D.C., have a relatively easy rest of schedule, while they are defending champs( every team gunning hard for them).

Hail to the NewSkins!!!

F the Eagles!
F the Cowgirls!
F Chris Cooley's tight a@# practice shorts, while everyone else wears baggy, long, less flattering attire.

HAIL!!!!

Posted by: GimmyDatPot | October 1, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

From last year's meeting at Fed-Ex.

The top highlight was Westbrook's go-ahead touchdown with 3:16 remaining. With the Eagles trailing by five and three rushers closing in, McNabb threw a screen pass to Westbrook over the middle. Lineman Shawn Andrews instantly leveled linebacker Rocky McIntosh, one of at least four huge blocks that allowed Westbrook to scamper for a 57-yard touchdown.
Westbrook's touchdown followed a play-it-safe move by Gibbs. With the Redskins facing a third-and-goal at the 7 and leading 22-20, the coach essentially decided to play for the field goal with a running play to Portis rather than try for the touchdown that likely would have sealed the win. Portis was stopped well short, and Shaun Suisham's 21-yard field increased the lead to five -- keeping the Eagles in the game.

"We felt like they might be playing soft there," Gibbs said. "Felt like we could take a shot at a draw."

The screen play gave the Eagles a 26-25 lead. Westbrook added one more score with 2:18 to play, a 10-yard run the Redskins admitted they purposely allowed so they could get the ball back with a chance to tie.

"That's exactly what they did. They allowed us to score," Westbrook said. "I wish I would have known that. I would have stopped at the 1. As an offensive player, any time you have an opportunity to get into the end zone, you get into the end zone."

Posted by: Schroeder11 | October 1, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I think JT is a huge weapon against the screen, I hope he can play this week he is one DE that recognizes it early and breaks off his rush to defend it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

An Eagles team without Westbrook, is just not the same...he has been a Redskin killer, and I'll be happy to watch his talented arse on the sideline, in a baseball cap.

p.s.

Did anyone see Cooley smack some black dudes a%@ after the Cowboy game? Dude was practically naked and Cooley laid one on it...i know he's got a cheerleader wife or gf or whatever...but coupled with the way he walks, shrot practice shorts..i mean waaaayyyyy short...i just cant help but wonder....

HAIL!!!

Posted by: GimmyDatPot | October 1, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

With out westbrook I think you gameplan arround keeping McNabb from rolling out of the pocket. McNabb is great at holding on in on the broken plays and giving a WR time to get open. If you keep him in the pocket and make him throw the ball sooner rather than later I think it helps the skins.
McNabb seems to me to be an average QB when in tempo with how the plays are being called, because he throws the ball 3 yards shorter than he should. But he is 10x better on a broken play. He is better than Romo on those plays.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

First Westbrook will play the guy is a gamer. If he wasnt to howver we could play a lot more coverage schemes like we did against arz. Westbrook averages something like 150 some yards from the scrimmage against the redskins, those are gaudy numbers. When he isnt in there you dont have to assign your safties to stay near the linem, they can roam further back to play the dep ball. There 3 recievers are no better then zrz' combo or D's receiving threats. We could definately shut them down as long as we have someone deep accouting for the speed that DeDrop Jackson has, a LL30 layout could go along way to stopping that, Jackson carries maybe 170 pounds could really be hurt by some or our more physical DB's.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

JLC: assuming you're even allowed near Redskins park anymore, if you get a chance to ask coach Zorn a question, ask him if the defense is stepping up practice against the screen...

Posted by: Schroeder11 | October 1, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Pot,

Cooley does not wear the short shorts any more Zorn had a rule about that durring the off season. The boy is old school skins thanks to Gibbs and truly has a blood lust for the boys, I think he was juced from that game. Try to keep up.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

How can Washington defend the likes of baskett the third? Thinking of him and that linebacking core of days old dumpster donuts makes me shake.... Were any of them even drafted?

Posted by: Pleepleus | October 1, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

The Eagles have almost no talent. The only way they win is by trying to out gimick the opponent. As long as you can stand up to their bring the house blitzes you can tear them apart, short passes are the key. They blitz on every down so runnign will be difficult. Short completions and keep the ball. Keep Bwest off the field.

Posted by: Pleepleus | October 1, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Be excellent to each other....aaaaand......PARTY ON DUDES!

Coach Z

Posted by: Predator48 | October 1, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If Bryan Westbrook is in the game, we will have trouble. If he is out of the game, we will have less trouble.

Bottom line:

As Bryan Westbrook goes...so does Philly's offense.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 1, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I believe there is an error in that sentence ref Philadelphia

Posted by: Gweez | October 1, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I think if the skins go into the game thinking like Flounder21 or Pleepleus they'll lose. Reggie Brown has played well against the skins in the past. I think I remeber him getting behind the secondary against the skins at FedEx for a TD last year. In Philly he also scored at least once. No doubt the skins have faced more talented receivers than the Philly unit. However, Philly's passing scheme is sound. McNabb is a talent at QB. So I think sleeping one Philly's offensive ability is a mistake.

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Where do peeps see the holes in the iggs D?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Where do peeps see the holes in the iggs D?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I watched the game as well. It was striking to me how good JC looked and how hard CP was running. It did occur to me that CP has lost a half step though. Other things:

1. Cooley has some big catches in the 4th.
2. Rockymac was all over the place.
3. Whitten is a beast.
4. As you noted Double Move was a stud.
5. That break by Horton was incredible on that INT.

Skinz

Posted by: Gweez | October 1, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

from the last thread, someone posted an article about Cooley's blog talking about what Zorn said before the game

one thing that stood out to me was the message that after the game in the locker room, the Redskins will know they could have won the game, regardless of what happened in the game. In the NFL, truer words could not be spoken. That's a message from Zorn and the players definitely took that to heart.

Zorn is impressing me

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 1, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2008 9:31 AM

I never said the Skins were thinking like me or should be thinking like me, I am saying most of you on here are giving them way to much credit, and what happened last year means nothing this Redskins team is far better then the one last year. The team last year was so afraid of openening up the offense that we lost alot of games we should have won.

Whatever McNabb did against the Rams should be deleted, they are not even an NFL team, so basically he has had two good quarters against Dallas and has done nothing else.

I'm a fan I am supposed to pump up my team and expect them to win especially when they are playing a team that I feel is way overated.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Zorn impresses all of us, again he is from the Mike Holmgren coaching tree, and the success guys from that tree have had is major.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

One of the biggest problems with our D last year is they never played in your face with the WR, and bumbed them on the line.

Blache is letting his DB's man up on who they think best fits there style, he is not an ego maniac like GG was, were you play my defense or else. Blache listens to his players and they are playing great for him.

The Skins need to attack Philly with quick dump offs at the start this will negate there blits and keep the chains moving, with the exception of the Giants game we have dominated TOP, we need to keep that going this week.

If there great offense(LOL) is not on the field then they can not hurt us.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Skins are #6 in the espn power ranking this week. Girls are still ahead of us at #3, Gints are #1 and Iggles are #9

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 1, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Though I think Dallas is still high I think that ranking system is about right.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thats all I've got...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Your right that Jansen was solid in run blocking but still suspect in pass blocking. When are the coaches going to realize that he needs to be moved to guard so that they can benefit from his assets while minimizing his weaknesses?

Posted by: rogerward | October 1, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 1, 2008 9:52 AM

That shows ESPN is a bunch of Jerry Jones a$$ kissing little b!tches, because we beat those bumbs up and down the field.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

This is gonna come down to running games. In the past Westbrook has killed us. If he's out/gimpy that bodes well for us. The Eagles are on blitzing acid, and the best way to neutralize that strength of theirs is run-run-run.

I see about 25 carries for CP, and another 10-15 touches for Betts. Get Cooley in the flat and some slip screens to the receivers. But JC has to get the ball out FAST.

Posted by: p1funk | October 1, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Though I think Dallas is still high I think that ranking system is about right.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 9:57 AM

Alex,

How can a team with the same record as the Skins, who the Skins beat up on be ranked higher then them.

Do not by it there are other power rankings that have the Skins ahead of the Cowpukes, ESPN is always partial to Dallas.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Skinz, I don't know about Portis losing a step, when he broke that 31 yard run, I thought if he cut that to the right, he'd have scored, plus he looked plenty fast when he was racing Landry who ran a 4.38 at the combine.

If I were Blache, I'd have whoever is across from Jackson absolutely demolish him at the line. He's light, and can be shoved around.

On offense some misdirection plays might stunt the upfield speed of the Eagles DE's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I said they are high, they need to be 1 behind the skins and everone else moves up a spot or so. A lot of reviews are ridign the Bills Titians, but they are 4-0 so I understand why.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Roger, if you move Jansen to G, who do you replace?? I think Thomas is just starting to get his legs under him, and Kendall has played well since he came here.

When Kendall walks next year, I think you move Rhino into his spot...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

From PFT,

Thought this was funny,

GLOBE APOLOGIZES FOR O’CONNELL PHOTO
Posted by Mike Florio on September 30, 2008, 10:12 p.m. EDT
Earlier this year, the Boston Herald was forced to apologize for an erroneous report regarding the Patriots allegedly videotaping the Rams’ walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. Today, the Boston Globe was forced to apologize for something far less damaging.

But nevertheless hilarious.

As reported on Deadspin, the Globe ran on Sunday a photo of rookie quarterback Kevin O’Connell, whose wristband of plays contained what appeared to be a Post-It note stating “My D–k Is Tiny Too!”

What’s unclear to us is the meaning of the “too.” Is he saying his schlong is tiny, along with other of his body parts? Or was he comparing his manhood to other men who are size-challenged in that arena, such as Napoleon or, you know, Chris Cooley?

To make the thing even funnier, the picture appeared over the following caption: “The Patriots are refining Kevin O’Connell’s mechanics, but they believe he has the tools to be a top-flight quarterback.”

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Portis lost a step from when he was 21, sure. But he is tougher than he was then.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that makes me mad about Portis is he does not switch the ball and use a stiff arm in the open filed, if he would of moved the ball to his right arm he could of pushed the DB off that knocked him down.

But he is still awesome.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Portis is a running back, they are expected to lose a step as their career progresses. Keep in mind he bulked up under Gibbs. Every year people say Portis lost a step, need to chill out with that. I for one dont really inderstand that he has progressed as a runner to be a lot more power driven. In Denver he was a edge runner who used his speed to get to the outside now he can run effectively up the middle. BTW if losing a step means he stopped fumbling then im all for his step lose.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

DeSean Jackson is the guy we need to eliminate, and then Westbrook if he plays. Jackson a wide out the Skins haven't seen yet, in both style and literally. His speed and quickness don't suggest he can be handled one on one by any of our corners(Tryon might get a shot at him, they match up fairly well, and J.Gray said in camp that his main strength was solid man to man) so he'll likely see a lot of a safety over the top. We'll likely need very active linebackers this week too.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

BTW if losing a step means he stopped fumbling then im all for his step lose.

Posted by: Stu27

Agree.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I watched Sherman Smith on Comcast last night with Chick Hernandez obviously a smart guy but he may be the key to JC having a breakout year, also liked what he had to say about the team being humble and focused along with having a good work ethic, Just a note i'm sure Greg Blache is game planning for Westbrook, this could be a shootout but i think Zorn wants to strike early and often to put the Philly's on their heels, and don't ya just love T.O. still b!tc#n and moanin about Sunday's game gotta love it!!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 1, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

craig,

Jackson is a little guy. Our corners will have to beat him up at the line of scrimage and take him off his route, they just don't want to get in to a foot race with him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 1, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

This place is alot more interesting when we lose.

Goes to show you some on here, only want to be negative, I'll bet if we lose to the Iggles this place will be crazy next week.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@Original_etrod

Yup, that's my point though, he's done a good job of using his quickness to avoid the bump at the line, and Reid is sure to put him in motion if he sees the Skins pushing the bump and run. This also comes back to the linebackers, they have to SEE the underneath stuff very well and slow down Jackson as he comes across, they have been missing some of that lately, and with Jackson's speed, missing it could be deadly.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

As far as the rankings go, I think once the surprise factor wears off, and especially if we beat the Eagles, you will then see the Skins rise to the near top of the rankings list. At this point, they just shocked the world, and need to show that they can consistently handle the other strong teams. Yes, Dallas is everyone's prima-donna, but many (myself included) still think that they are one of the top 2 or three teams out there. It may take a while for us to ovartake Dallas and NY in the rankings, but if they keep winning, it should happen. Maybe once they climb to first in the division.....
Just because you upset a team, you are not necessarilly going to be considered better than them. Otherwise Oregon State would be ranked #1 in college ball.......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 1, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Founder21, you are absolutely correct, and that's one of the reasons I don't come around here much when things aren't going well. There is enough negative talk from the media, I don't need fans making it worse. I try to look for positives, but also work out what can be done to fix things, so many people just want b!ch, and that's just not my style.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

This place is alot more interesting when we lose.

Posted by: Flounder21

Want to start B*t*hing about Collin Cowhard or Larry Michael?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey first time posting here. Someone made a comment about the Holmgren coaching tree. Who has come from that group? Reid, Mariucci and Gruden are the ones that I can think of that had any success.

Posted by: crzyvgs | October 1, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I have a feeling registration has as much to do with it feeling subdued as winning Flound.

Portis et al have held onto the ball very well but I fear the law of averages. After all it is the Law. We're going to have one of those games i fear.

Posted by: Gweez | October 1, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Crzyvgs, do a google search for more info but here is a list I found.

The Mike Holmgren Coaching Tree — Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Dick Jauron, Andy Reid, Jim Zorn, Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Offensively, I don't think there's much to be said about the Skins. Realistically, they just need to keep doing what they do.

That said, JC's decision making will be tested by Johnson's blitzing, but he has actually handled that very well in the past. To me it seems that the running game is going to be more challenged than JC. The O-Line will need to have a good game, and JC make a few plays to back off that front seven and keep Dawkins in the secondary. Those are my keys for the offense anyway.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Best new stupid thing Owens has said:

He also responded in force to criticism from ESPN studio analysts Tom Jackson, Keyshawn Johnson and Cris Carter.

"He is the ultimate underachiever on that panel," Owens said of Johnson. "I am the reason he is in the booth. Everybody is aware when I was brought to Dallas he was the one they let go to get me here."

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

any idea what's up with Fred Davis? Right now I really don't see him fitting into our gameplan even next year. I liked the pick but from what I've seen, I mean...we haven't even tried to get him on the field have we?

And it's looking like we're okay with the two rookie WR's, if Thrash doesn't wear down and barring injuries this year. As many have said, next year is their year and maybe the year after, and I'm not too concerned with DJAX or Royal, I wasn't impressed with either of them coming out of college so I understand the pass on those guys.

How bout Brooks? Good draft pick and thank god we got him! Horton, nothing needs to be said. Hopefully we'll keep Doughty around (how old is Doughty?) to be behind Horton for 2 or more years and give him some solid backup competition.

but looking at the team we got, they resemble the team that finished the regular season last year, and I can't help but wonder how it would be if Sean Taylor was still here along with all the draft picks and coaching changes we've made.

RIP and HAIL

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 1, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Holmgren coaching tree

Gruden (Raiders, Buccaneers), Dick Jauron (Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Buffalo Bills), Steve Mariucci (49ers, Lions), Marty Mornhinweg (Lions), Andy Reid (Eagles) and Mike Sherman (Packers)
Jim Zorn (Redskins)

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The skins offense is definetly looking good. Hopefully the 2nd rounders progress throughout the season to where the offense will be truly scary come December.

Posted by: skinswest | October 1, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Lot of solid HC's on that list, Mornhinweg and Mooch are the only washups, and ironicly both failed due to the same GM.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Craig,

I think what we may be finding is that QB's don't beat defenses blitzes or otherwise. Good systems with good QBs do. Let us that is the case.

I said I'd be happy if we came out of this season with a losing record but a QB of the future. I'd like to make a slight change and say 15-1, SB ring, QB of the Future. Does that make me a bad person?

Posted by: Gweez | October 1, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Gweez,
I like the vote of confidance.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

BTW here is a full list of Modern Era Coach trees for everyone I pulled from the www.

The Bill Parcells Coaching Tree — Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin, Sean Payton, Tony Sparano, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Dick Jauron

Gone, but not forgotten: Al Groh, Ray Handley, Chris Palmer, Nick Saban

The Tony Dungy Coaching Tree — Tony Dungy, Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, Herman Edwards, Lane Kiffin

Gone, but not forgotten: Steve Mariucci, Marty Mornhinweg, Ray Rhodes, Mike Sherman, Bill Callahan

The Marty Schottenheimer Coaching Tree — Herman Edwards, Mike McCarthy, Wade Phillips, everyone on the Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy Trees

Gone, but not forgotten: Cowher, Gunther Cunningham, Cam Cameron

The Bill Cowher Coaching Tree — Marvin Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Jack Del Río, Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy

Gone, but not forgotten: Dom Capers, Chan Gailey, Jim Haslett, Dick LeBeau, Mike Mularkey

Those are the big five. Smaller ones are listed below:

The Buddy Ryan Coaching Tree — Jeff Fisher

Gone, but not forgotten: Dave McGinnis, Gregg Williams

The George Seifert Coaching Tree — Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Mike Holmgren, Gary Kubiak

Gone, but not forgotten: Ray Rhodes

The Jim Fassel Coaching Tree — John Fox, Sean Payton

The Jimmy Johnson Coaching Tree — Jack Del Río, everyone on Norv Turner's tree

Gone, but not forgotten: Dave Campo, Butch Davis, Dave Wannstedt

The Ted Marchibroda Coaching Tree — Marvin Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Eric Mangini

The Jim Mora Coaching Tree — Jack Del Río

Gone, but not forgotten: Dom Capers, Jim Haslett, Jim Mora, Jr.

The Chuck Noll Coaching Tree — Tony Dungy, John Fox

The Dan Reeves Coaching Tree — Gary Kubiak, Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips, Mike Shanahan

The Norv Turner Coaching Tree — Mike Nolan

Gone, but not forgotten: Cam Cameron, Mike Martz

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Matt Mosley the same guy who threw the skins under the bus last week when he made his weekly picks?

Posted by: signicolls_03 | October 1, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Truth, give Davis more time. From what has been said, he's working hard with Rennie Simmons after practice to get himself more prepared. I think that the Rooks will play a larger role as the year goes on, especially on offense.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The fact is Davis, is getting a gift being behind 2 great TE's. He has time to learn the system. A 3 TE set is in the future for this team and it may end up a pass formation.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Davis is just in a numbers game behind better quality. I would like to see him in the red zone if our young WR's arent gonna step up. We ran a fade to Santana in the End zone he cought it but was hopelessly out, he shouldnt be running that route you get a guy 6 inches taller in Davis case more like 8-10 inches and he can come down with that ball.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Davis is 6'4 Moss is 5'10 (according to their bios) I wish we had a guy who was 10' taller than Moss

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I still stand by my claim that Fred Davis was a very bad selection for the Skins. Thats not a comment on him as a player however, and I am rooting for him and agree that lots of positives leak out about his development. But it still was a wasted pick IMHO.

Alex: Love the list, one correction, Jim Haslett is back amongst the HC now in St. Louis!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 1, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if there was any Power Rankings talk here, but ESPN.com has the Skins jumping from #15 to #6 and PFT actually has them at #3! All this media love can't bode well for Sunday...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see us with the following 3 sets, 3TE2W, 3TE2WTwin(line 2 WR's on the same side, and 3TE2W near. Give JC the option to play from under center or shotgun on any of the plays.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Um its great that they list him at 5'10. I meet the guy once more like he walked by me. Im 6'1. I think they may exagerate those number a little. In all honsety the guys is like 5'7 tops.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

a good eye CL, I did not vet the list I admit it was a ctrl c v job.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

If McNabb and Westbrook are healthy were gonna get all of the offense we can handle and then some. The Eagles outplayed Dallas and if it wasn't for a fumbled handoff the results would have been different.

They looked bad last week which spells trouble for us!

GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLUCK SOME EAGLE FEATHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: donmac1 | October 1, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 1, 2008 11:28 AM

Agreed, I would love for them to have a second round rookie OLB providing depth there instead. Although if godforbid Cooley gets hurt I think Davis jumps in ahead of Yoder as the pass catching TE option. Yoder seems like more of a blocker-type.

Posted by: skinswest | October 1, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yoder proved he can catch the ball in Dallas. That TD he got there was not an easy one.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Is it simply an oversight on my part or is EagleFanAdam missing up here of late?

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 1, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I think calling Yoder a 'great te' is a little much.

He's a willing blocker, and has ok hands.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The Davis situation is an interesting one, I'll agree. I expect he was picked based on the idea of just ending up with too many weapons to cover, no matter the personnel. Sounds good, but we're yet to see it.

I wouldn't have complained if Cerrato/Zorn/Snyder had picked one of the many "decent" linebackers that were available when Davis was selected. But(yeah, alwasy a but, right?), at some point THIS season we will see a formation that utilizes all three rookies AND the established play makers that were already on the roster.

As the season progresses, I expect this offense to get scary good.

Posted by: craig2 | October 1, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I just like Yoder, dudes fun to root for and a lunch pail dude.....we need mofos like Yoder on the team...

Great...that might be a stretch, good roleplayer says it all!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 1, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | October 1, 2008 11:34 AM

Yeah, and if heaven forbid Jason Campbell got hurt it would be nice to have Joe Flacco behind him, but when you have as many holes as the Skins had going into this season, you can't draft for depth that high. As great as they're playing now, this whole thing could come unglued if hit with injuries to the OL, DL, or LB positions. I have a hard time believing there was NOBODY they could have taken in those spots at Davis or Kelly's picks. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:38 AM

He can catch, just don't see him as a regular pass catching threat like Cooley and potentially Davis.

Posted by: skinswest | October 1, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey JLC? Any update on the possibility of signing Fahkir Brown?

Posted by: Zornography | October 1, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones is back in the NFL and by all accounts is doing well. He leads the team in pass deflections with eight. He is eighth on the team in tackles with 15. And he has one of the team's only two forced fumbles. However, according to those inside the Cowboys' organization, he remains a work in progress in the team's attempt to keep him from falling back into the destructive lifestyle that led to his yearlong suspension from the league for repeated violations of the personal conduct policy. One of the stipulations of Jones' reinstatement was that he stay away from parties and nightclubs as well as gentlemen's clubs, according to a source. He was even reprimanded for going to a Hooters restaurant in August. Jones has been pushing the envelope a little too much, according to a source. He was recently seen on stage at a Nelly concert with several of his teammates. Last Friday, he was scheduled to be a headliner along with Dallas Mavericks forward Brandon Bass at Celebrity Beach Volleyball at the Yucatan Beach Club in Coppell. But the Cowboys put their foot down and told him he couldn't participate. Team owner Jerry Jones said they want Adam Jones to carry a low profile off the field.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 1, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thats all I gots for this week. Work clamping down...

F Dallas!!

Posted by: Zeebs | October 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, I think you are correct - have not seen Adam this year at all

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 1, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

people, no matter who plays for the iggles on the O. it don't matter. what matters is the skins O. Can they handle the crazy blitzing and hard hitting D of the iggles. JJ is a true defensive genius and THIS will be a litmus test for JC's development.

he'll be facing the best corner in the league in asante samuel. the best D coordinator in the league (over the years along with MK). he'll be facing an awesome pass rush. sack after sack will he be able to hold on to the ball and not throw INTs. it's going to be a HUGE test for him. if our boy, jc can do it in philly he can do it ANYWHERE!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 1, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

he'll be facing the best corner in the league in asante samuel.

Jumping routes to get int's and constatly getting burned is a mojr reason why he is far far from the best corner in the league.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

This place is alot more interesting when we lose.

Posted by: Flounder21

Synder still owns the skins and Vinny is still moonlighting as a GM. So there is plenty to cry about.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 1, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

That was against AZ, but still not an easy one.

Posted by: wstclair | October 1, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If you don't like Jim Zorn after this, I don't know what else it'll take:

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

beep beep peeps

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 1, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

We're on sigs now, eh? Coolio!

Well, first off - I'm still basking in the victory of Sunday. While the team can concentrate hard on the Iggles, I'm going to savor this a bit more.

I'd like to thank Mr. Zorn et. al. for the Wedding present. It isn't often the Groom gets a gift that the Bride doesn't. Sorry, Mrs. Shuttle, them's the breaks!

(For those who don't know, Mrs. Shuttle or Bootz is a vehement Dallas Cowboys fan. Hey, nobody's perfect).

My de-facto best man thought it would break down like this: Wedding saturday, Game sunday, Lawyers on monday. I am happy to report Bootz and I are still talking and more importantly, still married on Day 4!

So, back to foobaw talk...
If I'm not mistaken, Soup is still INT free! Wow! That second quarter was a little scary, but his composure is epic at this point.

While the team is still growing and learning, they've passed muster for me. I just need one more win and I'm happy for the season... of course, you all know what that win is... hehehe.

HAIL!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Dude I saw the hip hip hooray on sunday after the game on foxsports or one of those post-game shows. Awesome. Just one point I want to make thats probably been made already. This team is still only learning this offense. It hasnt perfected it or gotten as comfortable as it will over the next months and beyond. rookie talents have not even been on the field for the most part. What i see is a lot of potential and if we keep finding ways to beat teams even by 2 like dallas(and hopefully philly)while we learn we eventually will beat those teams by 12 14 points.

Posted by: crzyvgs | October 1, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse