Keiland Williams spells Ryan Torain in pass attack

It's been well-documented that Ryan Torain had his best game as a pro in Sunday's 27-24 loss to Indianapolis, a 20-carry, 100-yard performance that more than picked up for the injured Clinton Portis. But Torain had only one carry in the fourth quarter, and that was a three-yard loss on third and 1.

Torain arrived in the locker room Monday with his left knee heavily wrapped, though he did not admit to being injured. And Coach Mike Shanahan said Torain's absence from the fourth quarter had to do with the fact that the Redskins were down by 10 points and needed the skills provided by rookie Keiland Williams, who has become the Redskins' de facto third-down back.

"With eight minutes left, we were down by 10 points, and we went into our two-minute attack without the no-huddle," Shanahan said.

In effect, that meant the Redskins went into pass-only mode. They got the ball on their own 8 with 8:36 remaining and proceeded to throw eight consecutive passes, moving the ball to the Indianapolis 19. Only then did the Redskins run, and it was on a delayed inside handoff to Williams - a run play out of a pass look. Williams eventually finished the drive by catching a short pass from Donovan McNabb and taking it eight yards for a touchdown.

"Keiland Williams was in there," Shanahan said. "He had a draw play at the end. Keiland was a guy we were going to put in a passing situation, and he handled that well."

For the season, Williams now has 11 catches - none longer than nine yards - for 57 yards and the touchdown. Torain has caught five balls for 36 yards, none longer than 11 yards. Portis, who went down with a groin injury Oct. 3 at Philadelphia, caught four balls for 41 yards, none longer than 14 yards.

The message from Sunday's game: If the Redskins are ahead, as they were against the Eagles, Torain will be the fourth-quarter workhorse. If they're behind, as they were against the Colts, it'll be Williams.

By Barry Svrluga  | October 19, 2010; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Analysis: How would a Haynesworth trade financially impact the Redskins?
Next: Mike Shanahan: Graham Gano is playing with confidence

Comments

Makes sense.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 19, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I would be interested to hear peeps thoughts on Jammal Brown's progress as a RT so far. I think he's been okay but still has a ways to go to regain his LT form for the Saints.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 1:37 PM |

eye igree schumphel1975

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"...without changing the game, enforce the helmet to helmet rules and upgrade the helmets themselves to 21st century standards."

If you outlaw crossing patterns within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, it'll do wonders to reduce the problem.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 19, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 1:37 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if that NERD is still waiting for me to kick his ass? haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Probably some NERD who is a member of the Geek Squad who was too afraid of giving his REAL seat number and getting his nose AND pocket protector broken.

Hopefully nobody on here wrote that seat number down, something tells me an elderly person wearing Depends was sitting there, poor old man......

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 1:37 PM

Okay is about as far as I'll go too. For a guy who thinks he is "completely healed" and didn't need to be put on the IR, it seems like hip surgery is kind of important for an offensive lineman in a scheme that is supposed to rely on quick and light zone blockers. That said, I do think he's been a huge upgrade over Heyer or Jansen (in his final couple seasons here). That Shanahan and Allen were able to servicably replace 4 out of 5 offensive linemen seems like a pretty impressive feat to me. This was the first game in a while where it seemed like McNabb was stepping up into the pocket more often than he was rolling out of it. Seemed that way anyway.

Posted by: dcsween | October 19, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

That reminds me, Harry Palms called for you...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 19, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Harry is a good friend of PA, but I am expecting a call from a Ms. Ju Ci P*ssy.

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 1:29 PM

Harry is cool to hang out with...but I prefer Mrs. Palms.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, she's cool, hopefully she shaved this time.....

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Also re: Hicks at RG ... I can't even remember who the RG was last year ... that's how forgetable last year is to me now.

Posted by: dcsween | October 19, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This is good to know...so if Torain is in, I'll know we are winning...if Keiland is in, then I'll know we're losing...makes the game much simpler to follow.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

i thought they were going too slow on that last scoring drive. (maybe it's not fair in comparison to manning's pace...) don't get me wrong, i'm glad they scored, but they didn't seem to be enough of a hurry. they were lucky (and good) to stop the colts in 3 plays and get the ball back w/~1:20 left.

man, i'm excited about the skins. and loved the gold pants.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 19, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Keiland Williams spells Ryan Torain in pass attack"

Hmmmm....'Keiland Williams' spells 'Milled Anal Kiwis' in anagram.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | October 19, 2010 1:52 PM |

Funny, me either. I remember BMW being there for a while. Was Randy Thomas already gone? Wasn't Rhino and some other Williams in there too?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

NPI- Take your racist, poor man's Jim Rome act some where else.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 19, 2010 1:06 PM |

WTF are you babbling about dick cheese? Did I merely mention the name of a black man which triggered your knee-jerk "Oh my God he's a racist" response?

You sound like a doosh. Riggo would not be proud to see some loser representing him the way you do fagboy.

Put together something that makes half-decent sense before you dare address me. You feel me?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 19, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Brown has looked shaky at times, but I fully expect him to back to Pro Bowl form next year. When a player takes a full year off due to injury he usually needs a full year to shake off the cobwebs. Plus, he is still adjusting to the switch from LT to RT. All those people complaining that he was a waste of a pick, just give him time, he'll prove to be a good player!

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Jamal Brown has been passable at RT. It appears he's not all the way back. The problem is the interior of the OL, we need a C and 2 OGs if we want to consistently run the ball or throw it down field. DM5 is making this interior look serviceable.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 19, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I for one find this odd. When Ryan Torain was a sun devil he lead the PAC-10 in reception yards for a RB during his years. That conference normally has some dynamic RB/WRs.
But Keilnad has looked fine in that role. We are still to thin in that position. There is a reason Torain has two years in between his pro starts.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 19, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Based on Yards per catch the lineup during passing situations should be the same as running, Portis, Torrain, Williams.

Plus, Portis is best at blitz pick up as well.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 19, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I think so much about Jammal Brown that I'd say we'll draft rt/lg/c next year and every year Shanny is running thangs.

And that's a good thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 19, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, so far my thoughts about Jammal are on par with the rest of the hamsters. I think he continues to improve with the rest of the team as the year wears on. Already better than the last few years which is encouraging. He's gonna be seeing a monster this weekend. Hope he can stay healthy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 1:48 PM

I wouldn't hit him...but I'd sure as hell knock his chocolate milk onto his lap!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

There is a reason Torain has two years in between his pro starts.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 19, 2010 2:01 PM |

Yea, he was IR'd.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"none longer than"... what tortured phraseology.

And re-hash of what seems to be 5 minutes worth of research/presser on Ryan Torain and Williams.

How about something to spark a converasation? I'll through out a few starters:

1) Dallas Sucks

2) Tony Romo is a slightly luckier version of Rex Grossman.

3) Sunday's game should be a great test of Haslet's defensive scheme and how well the team is picking it up. The Bears have been protecting the QB like he was a convicted child molester. If Haslet can't get guys off the edge "unabated" towards the leprous outcast with the ball, one begins to wonder.

4) If BB breaks a return, will he pull a Hester and imitate Deion's high-stepping routine?

5) How will TW 77 handle Dr Julius Peppers?

Discuss...

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I find the people complaining about not using Torain in the 4th just as odd as I did about the people who complained about using Torain instead of Portis in the second half of the STL game.

Both times, the man who replaced his predecessor was just as successful as the RB before him.

These are the examples of things that people use to complain just for the sake of complaining.

(Though I am glad to see those complaints didn't reach RI -- unlike the callers that seem to always get through to sports talk shows.)

Posted by: psps23 | October 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"Hmmmm....'Keiland Williams' spells 'Milled Anal Kiwis' in anagram."

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2010 1:53 PM

Some folks just have WAAAAY too much time on their hands.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 19, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I know, Torain also was unable to make it though 2 years of D1 ball. He had a season ending injury. He was a JUCO transfer hence only two years. So to say the least injuries are a concern, and for how hard he runs i am doubly concerned.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

That's it, Mike Williams. And yeah on Jammal Brown ... he's been "good enough" which is what the Skins need right now. I gotta think that the level of the pick invested means that they see him as a long term solution, but I'm also thinking that another off-season of Shanahan-style conditioning is going to result in a different kind of offensive line. Whether off-season is this off-season or the next one depends on the CBA negotiations and I'm not holding my breath on that. Without a CBA, I'm thinking that quite a few offensive linemen will show up fat to training camp next July.

Posted by: dcsween | October 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

5) How will TW 77 handle Dr Julius Peppers?

Discuss...

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 19, 2010 2:04 PM

I fully expect to see Jammal Brown against Pulius Jeppers just as much as Twill.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

By Barry Svrluga | October 19, 2010; 1:30 PM ET

Until after the Bye Week when CP26 will be back. Then it'll be heavy Torrain in the 1st Half and CP on 3rd Downs. And heavy CP in the 4th QTR and for 3rd Downs.

PENCIL IT IN!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I have to root for the Cows and Titans this weekend.

Posted by: abxinc | October 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Hmmmm....'Keiland Williams' spells 'Milled Anal Kiwis' in anagram."

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2010 1:53 PM

Some folks just have WAAAAY too much time on their hands.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 19, 2010 2:08 PM

Better that they should have time on their hands than processed fruit elsewhere.

Also, back to the offensive line, I'm wondering a little about the role and effect that Samuels is having as an assistant coach intern, esp. re: Williams and the rap against Williams in the weight room.

Posted by: dcsween | October 19, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

This may be the first time in the history of football that I will consider rooting for the Brokebacks. Ugh. Meteor game all the way!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Its funny that in training camp Jammal was lining up at Right Tackle in a LT stance... The dude should be fine once he gets the position down. The fact that he was lining up in his old stance shows what an adjustment it is for him.
To put it this way starting RT is not high on my list of priorities, backup Tackle is another issue.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 19, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Not rooting for Dallas.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS CONSIDER TRADING HAYNESWORTH FOR SWEDISH STRIKER

ASHBURN, VIRGINIA -- As today's 4 p.m. (Eastern) deadline rapidly approaches for NFL teams to make their final trades of the season, the Washington Redskins have again been approached by the general manager of the Stockholm Stompers to ask about the availability of defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth.

The Swedish premier league football team is reportedly interested in moving Haynesworth into a defensive position near their net to assist the goalkeeper and help keep the crease clear of any members of the opposing team.

According to once source, the Swedish team is interested in "putting the stomp back in the Stompers."

In order to consummate the deal, the Stompers are reportedly willing to trade their star striker, Hamm Samvitch, in a straight up deal -- and even pay a share of Samvitch's 250,000 Euro salary for the remainder of the season. The Redskins reportedly value Samvitch’s superb kicking skills – which they expect would immediately improve the team’s punting and place-kicking squads.

But sources inside Redskin Park say that Redskin general manager Bruce Allen is driving a hard bargain -- and insisting that the Swiss also throw in a slab of chocolate and a round or two of their world-famous cheese be Allen will sign off on the deal.

Meanwhile, the Redskin coaching staff is also said to be concerned about Samvitch's work habits. According to several reports, Samvitch works hard both in season and throughout the off-season, is always ready and prepared to contribute whatever he can to help the team, is easy to get along with, humble and self-effacing, plays through his injuries without complaint, and generally is a pleasure to have in the locker room, on the sidelines and on the field of play.

According to one Redskin Outsider, with such a positive personality and work habits, Samvitch would have a extremely difficult time filling the void left by the departure of Haynesworth.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 19, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I have to root for the Cows and Titans this weekend.

Posted by: abxinc | October 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely refuse to EVER route for those Cowpies to win!!!! I'll just have to route for the other team to lose!
That's not the same, right?

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

i think the defense was just totally gassed during some of those drives. that was manic. that seemed like more manic than usual for manning. was it?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 19, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to 'root' for the boys. Just wish for the other team to lose...........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 19, 2010 2:22 PM |

Absolutely it was. They were trying to take advantage of a new defense not fully with the scheme yet. It worked. I think they were worried about what Orakpo and Landry were going to do to people if they had a chance to keep up. Also, Indy needed that win and they knew it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

That's not the same, right?

Posted by: monk811 | October 19, 2010 2:18 PM |

I'm routing for a meteor to hit the field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Not rooting for Dallas.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 2:16 PM |

cosign, until the ink runs dry in the pen I hold in my cold dead hand during armageddon while being attacked by aliens

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I really want dallas to lose...finish them off...make it a three way battle for the division instead of four.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 19, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

We all have to root for the Cowboys to win this week.............Excuse me, I just threw up a little bit.

But if Giants lose, Eagles lose and we win...1st place in the East again!

I really like our team this year, BTW.

What are the chances of Hayney getting traded?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 19, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Everyone up here knows the stuff you're made of NPI.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 19, 2010 2:30 PM |

agree beep, npi is the ultimate ITA as far as I'm concerned

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"How will TW 77 handle Dr Julius Peppers?"

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 19, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

About as well as he handled Ware, Mario Williams, and Freeney. JP won't have a chance if he lines up on the left.

How will Sellers handle Urlacher?

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 19, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Kickin' the beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually, rufus, I'm not really a person. Ask sween. I'm an A.I. bot. With deemphasis on the 'I'

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I have to root for the Cows and Titans this weekend.

Posted by: abxinc | October 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
never root for the cows...we'll be ok once we play the ginas...F-Dallas...always..and as for the Titans..well ok...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 19, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

People, the Cowboys don't need to win for the Skins to catch the Giants and Eagles.

If the Skins beat either the Giants or Eagles twice, they are good enough to win the division.

The Cowboys will be playing the spoiler role in a couple months. They only need 2 more losses to nail their Billion $$$ coffin shut.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 19, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap guys I found a picture of NPI:

what a d0uchehttp://thisisbandit.com/wp-content/uploads/homeless-man-goes-online.jpg

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 5:13 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

tool

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 19, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Whether it is the defensive scheme or just the players inability to perform their assignments, if the defensive side of the ball doesn't improve dramatically in the next few weeks, expect the Redskins to end the season with a loosing record.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | October 20, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse