It's Redskins vs. Saints (and a New Video)

Finally, the first real home game of the season. If you're going to the game, you've probably figured this out, but it's going to be a hot one. Mike Wise, who is doing a triathlon this morning, weighed in on London Fletcher in today's paper. Jason La Canfora previewed the game as well. We'll be twittering and blogging and we'll get those inactives to you asap, so hang with us here. Speaking of Jason, he also sends this note about a new video:

This is the world premiere of a new segment on Comcast SportsNet called "The Jasons" starring yours truly and J-Reid, of course. (Jason Campbell and Jason Taylor, we're sure, could pull this off if they wanted.) In any case, this is a piece we'll be doing weekly on Comcast SportsNet in addition to our weekly spots on Washington Post Live. Check it out Saturdays at 6 p.m., 10 p.m. and Sunday mornings. It'll also be available on the Insider and on ComcastSportsNet.tv

By Cindy Boren  |  September 14, 2008; 6:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Portis Interview: Director's Cut
Next: Inactives - Marcus Washington and Reed Doughty Out

Comments

Posted by: first | September 14, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

"Campbell, a key contributor on special teams, initially suffered a thigh bruise in practice and a pocket of blood formed in his thigh. He has limited range of motion and wore a stocking on his right leg in an attempt to improve circulation."

He also wore stilettos for 'extra grip'.

Posted by: kost52 | September 14, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

All I have to say about this video is that it would be infinitely cooler if they each wore the helmets.
If you're driving to the game, remember the Nation's Triathlon this morning...it may make your drive a shabingus.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Kost! Nice way to start the thread. Isn't the game already over where you live? If you let me in on who won, I'll put a Benjamin on it and split with you. Plus I can rig my selections in the tipping, or tip my selections in the rigging.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Not your drive, Kost. You'll be okay.
Fubball in stilettos would be so cool...I'm going for a run, but not in the triathlon, then heading into work. Later.

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 14, 2008 6:58 AM

Driving to the game? What kind of a wissy do you take me for? I'm running a third of the way, biking a third of the way, and swimming the last third of the way. With my cooler.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 7:02 AM | Report abuse

I just read the CP stuff. I love that dude. It's so refreshing to hear a guy, say what he thinks, and talk about how he feels, rather than roll out the cliche "We're taking it one game at a time' 'There's not I in Team' crap. Even when he sounds like he might be having a crack at the Skins, he's not. He loves this team, and he gives everything he's got. What a champ.

Posted by: kost52 | September 14, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

TE, don't confuse me, I'm very vulnerable. My basketball team just had their 'Mad Sunday', which is like 'Mad Monday' http://the-speccy.blogspot.com/2006/09/warning-elevated-risks-from-mad-monday.html but on a Sunday.

Posted by: kost52 | September 14, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52

You're kidding right?
it is refreshing only in the sense of him not being PC, and enlightening to us fans, but in no other way.
Have you ever played teams sports? if one belittles the team, what do you think the others think of him? i don't buy this "new athlete" stuff. Think it, discuss it amongst the team in private, and never disparage your team publicly. never.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 14, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

what exactly is shabingus? dictionary.com say's no word found?No results found for shabingus:
Did you mean Sha'ban's (in dictionary) or Sabinus (in reference)?

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 14, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

That reminds me,

All you tipsters, don't forget to put your tips in!

And if there is anyone still interested in joining the Tip Comp, it's not too late, sure you'll have to come from behind to win, but if Elton John can do it, so can you!

Just register at www.oztips.com then enter the Competition Number (151708) and the Competition Password (Redskins), it's all too easy!

BCBarney, SMACK and myself currently lead, tipping 11 of last weeks winners, join up, and join the battle to make sure SMACK doesn't win!

Posted by: kost52 | September 14, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

You're kidding right?

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 14, 2008 7:22 AM

First of all, I'm going to say that I am a little intoxiacted, so I may have misunderstood what he said in a big way.

But to answer your question, yes I have played team sports, I currently play team sports, and I'm very anti individual sports, can't stand sports like Golf, Tennis, Athletics etc.

I didn't think Clinton belittled the team at all, I thought he was having a crack at the media, and how statistics apparently determine how well someone is performing. As a team sports player, I understand that the most important acts easily go unnoticed by the outside, but are noticed by the people on the team. That's why Clinton highlighted the guys who work much harder than him, because they deserve some credit for what they do.

That's what I thought anyway.

Posted by: kost52 | September 14, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Kost, Understood, but i guess i took it as CP complaining a bit much, especialy being out in public. He fondly remembers playing in Denver, where the holes were there, here no holes exist etc. I don't think his offensive linemen would give him a standing ovation for what he said. That's all.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Kost52....

C'mon bruh! He threw the team under the bus. There are plenty of players in the NFL that have and do play on bad teams and don't throw their team under the bus.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 14, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

To my RI brethren...

I'm going to the game today.

I'll have on my "Redskins Football" T-Shirt with the burgundy and yellow colors. The same colors as the uniform with the "R" on the helmet.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 14, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 14, 2008 7:29 AM

I don't want to see you suffer any longer. You can find the definition on the Redskins Insider Wiki:

While you're up there, you can register and become a member of the Wiki in good standing.

For a while, enterprising RI'ers had the word listed on Wikipedia proper, but some goat came along and ate it.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Sic,

i hope it's one of theose Dri-fit T-shirts. It's gonna be hot up there today!

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 14, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I think the game today is going to be pretty brutal. I am usually wrong about these things...and I hope I am this time too.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 14, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Talent,

I signed up, had to shorten the name, so now, lsskinsfan will have to do.

HTTR!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 14, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Carve it in stone:

Skins 3
Aints 2

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 14, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Good Pieces in the paper this morning.

I gotta admit, I think I might have slept on London Fletcher a bit too. He's got the Art Monk quality.

He does his job better than anyone, but he's so quiet he fades into the background.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 14, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

In light of the last coouple days postings on music: www.pandora.com
You create your own radio stations that play what you like. pretty cool stuff imo.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | September 14, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Saints Week 2 Key Matchup

Matthew Postins
SaintsInsider.com Sep 13, 2008

Each week Saints.com will take you inside the top matchup from that week’s game. We’re not talking about a thumbnail preview. We’re going in-depth to show you how this matchup will affect the upcoming game. Today, we tell you which Saints defensive player and which Washington Redskins offensive player will deeply impact Sunday’s game.

THE KEY MATCHUP

Saints MLB Jonathan Vilma vs. Washington RB Clinton Portis

The good news coming out of last Sunday’s game regarding Saints MLB Jonathan Vilma wasn’t the nine tackles he made against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was the fact that he played every play of the game.

Considering Vilma missed most of last season with a knee injury, and was still rehabbing that injury as late as June, that was great news for the Saints.

Vilma, who was acquired for a fourth-round draft choice, will be a big reason the Saints will improve defensively this season.

At 6-foot-1, 230 pounds, Vilma was mismatched in Eric Mangini’s 3-4 defense. Before Mangini arrived in New York, the Jets employed a 4-3 and Vilma enjoyed two Pro Bowl caliber seasons, including 169 tackles in 2005. He played well under Mangini in 2006, but his knee injury, coupled with Mangini’s desire to find larger linebackers, were the main reasons Vilma became expendable.

With the Saints, Vilma is the perfect fit in the middle of defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs’ scheme. His speed makes him better able to flow through traffic to get to the bal carrier. He reads offenses well and puts his teammates in good spots to make plays. And Vilma is hitting ball carries the way he did his first two years in New York.

Vilma really came alive in the second quarter last Sunday, registering seven of his nine tackles. There may be no real significance in that statistic, other than Vilma’s ability to deeply impact a section of a football game in a positive manner for the Saints.

They need that kind of impact after last year’s debacle defensively.

Now, one area in which the Saints did struggle a bit was on run defense. The Saints gave up 146 rushing yards to Tampa Bay, ranking the Saints 24th on the young season. Their pass defense obviously improved, but without a stout run defense that secondary will face more pressure down the road.

That brings us to Portis.

The Redskins are installing the West Coast offense this year with first-year head coach Jim Zorn. In addition, the Redskins have a young quarterback in Jason Campbell who could use a productive ground game to take the pressure off of him.

No such thing happened last week against the New York Giants. Even though the game was close, the Redskins gained just 84 total rushing yards. Campbell competed just 15-of-27 passes for only 133 yards. The Giants’ front seven kept Campbell under constant pressure throughout the game. With no ground game to keep them honest, the Giants teed off on Campbell.

Portis gained all of those 84 yards on 23 carries, a 3.7-yard average. He’s known as a tough, physical runner who can find a higher gear when he gets in the open field. He’s a one-cut back, meaning that he’s going to find his hole, make his cut if necessary and plow ahead until someone stops him. Because of that, Portis is banged up often.

At 5-foot-11, 221 pounds, he doles out as much punishment as he takes and it has cost him playing time.

But Portis’ success is extremely important to the Redskins and Campbell. They both need Portis to be productive on the ground in order to keep solid protection around Campbell. With a productive ground game, teams are less likely to blitz on first and second down. Also, the Redskins can use play action to suck in safeties and open up the middle for their talented H-back, Chris Cooley.

Without it, though, the Redskins get a game like last Thursday night. The Giants bottled up Portis nicely and saw little need to put more than six defenders in the box. That left enough defenders to blanket coverage on Campbell’s receivers, frustrating the Auburn product all night.

So getting Portis into that 100-yard plateau is vital. But that plateau could be harder to come by than one thinks. Portis has had just five 100-yard games in the past two seasons. Plus, the Redskins are banged up on the offensive line, which seems like a yearly concern for a franchise knows for its “Hogs” of the 1980s.

So what can Vilma do? Track Portis the entire game. Vilma doesn’t need to spy on Porter. Rather, he just needs to watch for the proper keys and help keep Portis bottled up. Portis won’t change directions much, so once he makes that cut defenders know where he’s going. Proper position, technique and getting to Portis at the line of scrimmage will be key.

If Vilma can do it, I don’t see Portis gaining more than 75 yards on Sunday. And I see Campbell struggling all day against an improved Saints pass defense as a result.

Matthew Postins is the editor and publisher of saintsinsider.com. He can be heard every Friday between 3-4 p.m. on WNSP Sports Radio 105.5 FM in Mobile, Ala.

Story URL: http://nor.scout.com/2/790034.html

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 14, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

here we go again. everyone bragging about how great reggie bush is. this guy is the most overated player there is in the nfl.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 14, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If we lose this game the season is effectively over, and the hopes of another year in DC dashed.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

nice turkey neck JLC you tubby dork

(waiting to get lit up by zebra or dcsween or any other JLC nad riders)

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 14, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Jon,

You smell of rotting fish. Try brushing your teeth at the beginning of the day and not just the first day of each month.

Posted by: Greg N. | September 14, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 8:51 AM

I dont think we are there quite yet...but if we do lose today, we will be heading there at about 300 mph.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 14, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 8:51 AM

0-2 = End of the World? No way. You give up too easily.

We can replace Jason Campbell with Collins and Jim Zorn with Jim Fassell. We'll drop the game next week while the team adjusts but we should still end up 10-6 with a good shot at the playoffs.

Cheer up!

Posted by: motivator | September 14, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Jon,

Posted by: Greg N. | September 14, 2008 8:55 AM

Nice try nad rider #1

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 14, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

So am I the only one up here competing in the Triathlon today? sween? Redcoat? cload? dealer? smack? Where are you guys?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

My triathalon consists of running a triangle between my fridge, couch and crapper. It's a marathon and I'll be doing it all day at breakneck speed.

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 14, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I got my own little triathlon thing going on over here today.

I am listening to the pre-game show, typing on the blog, and eating a cheesesteak.

Now I feel tired

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 14, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 9:11 AM

Wait, are you guys saying there's a game today? Why would they hold the stupid triathlon the same day as a Redskins game? That is so stupid.

Man, I'm quitting right after the bicycle part, or the swim part or whatever comes first. In fact, I'm not even going over there. All this training for nothing.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 14, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

never met Jasno in person but this video gives me the impression that he is the same type of egotistical media idiot seen in most other places. in the 3 minute analysis of the game he is still able to take a shot at snyder. i hate him to but let it go already.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

My triathlon is eggs, bacon, and hash browns. I win every time.

Posted by: SMACK | September 14, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

GO SKINS!!!!

HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 14, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Like everyone and their brother, I have my own opinions about the reporting here and elsewhere at the Post, but I can't argue that Cindy's doing a great job with posts like these. Thanks for keeping the info wrap-ups coming. I appreciate them.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 14, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Saints, 27-20. Bank it like Greenspan.

Get used to the L's. 7-9 this season, tops.

Posted by: Albert Connell | September 14, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I sure wish Gibbs were coaching this game. He can call a HB dive on 3rd and 3 like nobody's business.

Zorn is going to step on the gas this week and tag 30 on these losers. Easy win if he lets JC spread the field with Thrash and Co.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

nice turkey neck JLC you tubby dork

(waiting to get lit up by zebra or dcsween or any other JLC nad riders)

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 14, 2008 8:52 AM
---------------------------

LOL

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 14, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

So what happens if the Redskins lose today?

Posted by: Skip in Va | September 14, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Cramp
IV
Hydrate

Posted by: Words of the Day | September 14, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: beep | September 14, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Your video is not working at all, why don't you make videos like u-tube??

Posted by: Ignacio | September 14, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

OK, I need some advice from you western RI bloggers. I'm in Hawaii this week and next for the Skins games. I've taped my ankles, and have my blackout under the eyes. Here's my predicament... It's not even 7am here. Do I start my tailgating now, or wait until te second half?

By the way, Skins game is not televises out here, so keep me informed on what is happening. I'm counting on you.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 14, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't think either Jason is wearing pants.

Posted by: Shock | September 14, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse