Jackie Garcia's Sister Speaks

As Sean's daughter, Jackie, gamboled among the flowers and around the coffin in front of her mother's chair, Carolina Garcia, the sister of Sean's girlfriend, spoke for her. Carolina said Jackie had asked her last week to read something for her and that Carolina figured "she would write something and I would read it." After the candlelight memorial last night, Carolina mentioned it to her sister, who, she said, told her "to write what i know."
"After a few hours of sitting down ... it hit me. There s something very important I need to share with you today. ..
want to say thank you to my sister for showing me what it's like to really love somebody. She knew the man he really was and stood by him to his last breath. She loved him from the moment she set eyes on him [at Gulliver Prep]. " Carolina recounted how everyone knew it was a special day for Sean, too, because he went home and said he needed to learn to speak Spanish because he'd met Jackie. The two were still together and had an 18-month-old daughter. "They surpassed all the obstacles. They always did. It was obvious [how much they loved each other] in the way they looked at each other. ... [To her sister:] Thank you for showing me the meaning of unconditional love. [To Sean:] Thank you for loving my sister the way you did. It's funny how God always seems to take the special ones too soon. Thank you for your big heart and your smile, which i will miss so dearly. Most of all, thank you for the love of my life, my beautiful niece. I will make sure she knows the man her father was and how much you loved her."
Afterward, Andy Garcia (the actor, who is the uncle of Carolina and Jackie) hugged both girls. Because the baby Jackie was playing with the flowers and doing what 18-month-old babies do, someone had taken her away for a bit.
University of Miami coach Randy Shannon, who was the defensive coordinator when Taylor played for the Hurricanes, spoke of Sean's work ethic, of how he was up at midnight to run three miles around the Miami campus. Shannon spent a lot of the offseason talking to kids on his own, making the rounds at Pop Warner clinics. Shannon was making appearances and they crossed paths several times, or he heard that Sean had just been there.
Andre Maddox, a teammate at the U, spoke; now Arlene Byrd, a neighbor who said she "had the pleasure of watching him grow up", just spoke.
After more prayers, Florida City mayor Otis Wallace spoke again about Sean's beginnings in football, how Pedro Taylor took Sean to a tougher team, to get better competition. "He brought Sean over to Florida City to play for the Razorbacks...they were kids from the 'hood [big laugh]. ... Guess what happened? Hhe ran over and around and through the other kids. Even at that age he would bring the lumber. You could tell when Sean was on defense which way the ball was going to be run...away from Sean Taylor. When he was on offense, the people who defended him looked like professional matadors, waving him on through."
Wallace also criticized the media for being too quick to judge Taylor, a comment that drew lengthy applause. He said he hoped that perhaps another person would be treated differently and that his family's grief would not be needlessly increased.
On that same theme, the minister speaking now - Pastor David Peay Sr. [spelling is from the program, hope that's correct] is pointing out that "Sean died making the right decisions. He always tried to make the right decisions."
The service has ended; the Redskins are leaving first, to return to D.C., but they're greeting the family now.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 3, 2007; 12:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis, Arrington Share Their Grief
Next: Reflections Of An Unforgettable Day

Comments

"Can you get Sean off of us" That's the Reaper I will always remember.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Jackie's sister choked back tears during her entire remarks. This is killing me.

Posted by: smarty_pants | December 3, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine watching this on TV. I'd be in tears. It's very emotional reading the reports here.

Posted by: deannaizme | December 3, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

On an emotional day of eloquent and heartfelt eulogies, this one really got me.

Posted by: luhmanj | December 3, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

D trust me you would be in tears. I watching it on the net and had to go a couple of time to the bathroom to wash my face.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Caroline Garcia was tremendous. It can't be said much better than that.

As time goes on, we keep finding out more and more what a special person Sean Taylor was, and how he positively impacted so many people.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 3, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

This is both the saddest and most uplifting thing I think I've ever seen. Sad for all the obvious reasons, and most uplifting because of the stories and remembrances of a Sean Taylor that so few of us ever knew.

Posted by: jgperras | December 3, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Argh, tears in my eyes.

This is much harder to take than games.

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn.

Death sucks.

Untimely death of young person worst of all.

Posted by: farstriker | December 3, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

My brother had a good point:

I'm physically ill at the thought that OJ Simpson, a murderer, is at Sean Taylor's funeral, a murder victim.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

very emotional day. we can only pray and wish the best for the family as they go through this excruciating grieving process. we can only hope to find solace in that Sean positively influenced so many people in such a short time. we can hope that those closest to him can celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss.

all easier said than done. this one's gonna hurt for a long time.

Posted by: student1234 | December 3, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Buck Ortega was amazing as a speaker.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

This is truly a tribute to Sean's life. I don't think the word "perfect" is proper. But, we should all be so lucky to have touched our friends, co-workers, and loved ones as much as it appears Sean did. Balled my eyes out on several speakers. Jackies sister, broke me down... but I was really moved by Lavar. I honestly had no idea...

I wish G. Williams had a chance to speak. How adorable is Sean's littler girl?! Saw her clap a couple of times for her Daddy. So senseless. God bless.

Posted by: chris.woody | December 3, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"They should be ashamed"

That's you Wilbon, Shapiro, ESPN, Cowherd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

It is great to know how much a wonderful person Sean was.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"Unforgivable"

That's you Wilbon, Shapiro, ESPN, Cowherd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is getting blasted right now along with the media.

They deserve it.

Posted by: eppard03 | December 3, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Who is calling out Wilbon?? I wish I could hear/see this. Friggin work...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em, Mayor! Up yours, speculative journalists!

Dan Le Batard's column was great on this, by the way. Everyone in the media and journalism schools should read it.

Posted by: jgperras | December 3, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

For what its worth, it appears that Wilbon is not doing the chat today. I'd like to think that he's hiding like a little b*tch...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The mayor said "I am rooting for the Redskins, a class organization for showing up en masse to support Sean, to beat everybody in the league, but tie the Dolphins" (not quoted word for word)

Posted by: eppard03 | December 3, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Please, those who are angry at Wilbon tell him how you feel:

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Reminder Wilbon's Chat is Today. It was supposed to be at 1:15 but it still has not started.

Posted by: tlehtone | December 3, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Huge props to the mayor for calling out the media! JB on the cbs pregame did the same yesterday. At least there are a few in the media with some morals!

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 3, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon hasn't even showed up for his chat yet.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Jasno and Cindy,

Will there be a blog entry about the comments made towards the media?

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder to keep your question to Wilbon on his chat respectful, or else it's unlikely they will even get passed along to him...

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading Gilgamesh, the immensely old Sumerian story (more than 4,000 years old--much older than the Bible) about friendship and death and grief. Gilgamesh, a powerful king, befriends a wild man, Enkidu, "the stormy-hearted other."

They have some wonderful moments and triumphs--a wrestling match, the defeat of a forest monster.

Their power has made the gods uneasy, and so the gods decide to kill Enkidu in the fullnes of his youth.

Now the powerful, half-wild, deeply decent Enkidu lies dying, his strength useless:

In the early hours of the next morning dawning,
Enkidu lay in his bed, fear in his belly.

He told a dream to Gilgamesh who was there.
"I had a dream. There was a noise in the sky

and a noise in the earth in answer. On a dark plain
I was alone. But there was one, a man,

with a lion head, and the paws of a lion too,
but the nails were talons, the talons of an eagle.

The face was dark. He took hold of me and seized me.
I fought with him, I hit at him, but he

kept moving about in the dark, too quick for me,
and then with a blow he capsized me like a raft.

I cried out in the dark to Gilgamesh,
'Two people, companions,' but the man overpowered me,

and raged like a wild bull over me in glory,
and Gilgamesh was afraid and did not help me.

Then I was changed into something like a bird,
with a bird's name, as spindly as a bird's,

and feathered like a bird. He seized an arm
and led me to the dwelling of Irkalla,

the House of Darkness, the House of No Return.
No one comes back who ever enters there.

The garments that they wear are made of feathers.
The food they eat is clay, the drink is dirt.

Stillness and dust are on the door and door bolt.
There is no light of any sort at all.

Dead kings were there, and princes of old kingdoms,
dead high priests and acolytes were there,

dead chanters and anointers, bearers of ointments;
Etana was there and Sumuqan was there,

and on her throne Ereshkigal the Queen
of the Underworld, and kneeling before her was

Belit-Seri the Scribe who holds the tablet
on which the fate of everyone is written.

She turned her head and looked at us and said:
'Who has led here this latest to arrive?' "

Gilgamesh said, "The dream is terrible."
Enkidu said, "We went together through

the dangers of the Forest and we killed
the Bull of Heaven. Do not forget how we,

two people together, prevailed against the terror."
Enkidu lay suffering on the bed of terror

another day and another day and another,
and the long nights between, and day after day

the suffering of Enkidu grew worse.
On the twelfth day he raised up in his bed

and spoke these words to Gilgamesh and said:
"Gilgamesh, who encouraged me in the battle,

saying, 'Two people, companions, they can prevail,'
Gilgamesh is afraid and does not help me!"

After that Gilgamesh heard the death rattle.

[Gilgamesh, trans. David Ferry, Tablet VII]

Posted by: farstriker | December 3, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I appreciated Wallace's comment about the media - that perhaps this will make them stop and think the next time someone dies - about the difference between reporting a story and needlessly adding grief to a family's burden by trashing the individual in news reports.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah JB brought it strong yesterday and you could tell he was really upset. He brought it even stronger the other day on the John Riggins show.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Barno, great point about the outrage of O.J. being there.

Sorry I called you 'crazy.' I don't mind being called a nerd, though.

Posted by: farstriker | December 3, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eppard03 | December 3, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Jackie's sister really made me cry when I thought I was all cried out.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Thank you for loving my sister the way you did. It's funny how God always seems to take the special ones too soon. Thank you for your big heart and your smile, which i will miss so dearly. Most of all, thank you for the love of my life, my beautiful niece. I will make sure she knows the man her father was and how much you loved her."

Oh my gosh. I just about crumbled reading that.

Need to go take a walk. Wish we weren't having a massive rain and wind storm today here in the Seattle area.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I just want to say think you to Jason for doing this - and all of you for letting me read your comments and add to them. My friends think I'm nuts for being so sad, and it's just nice to be (at least through the net) with others who are feeling the same way.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Farstriker, it's all good my man. I didn't mean it when i called you a nerd and actually enjoyed your rendition from RichardII.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I missed that one jm.
It is inconceivable looking back, that these media a**holes had the nerve to make the statements they did without knowing what kind of man Sean Taylor really was.
I hope every single one of them is watching every second of this memorial and planning their appologies.

Posted by: puttinforbird | December 3, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I must say, I think the least surpringing tidbit of this entire ordeal, was seeing Jessie Jackson at the funeral.

Also, (and sorry if maybe this isn't the right place to make this comment) I just wanted to actually give props to Jasno for one thing: admitting he was remiss in not making a big enough deal out of Sellers injury. It's easy to understand how some things got overlooked this past week, and JLC this was one aspect that on any other week would've gotten more attention.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh they went straight church on that last song.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I asked Wilbon what he was wearing his frist day in Hell.. Don't know if it'll get posted.

Posted by: relishfilms | December 3, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where I can find the funeral on the web and watch it from the begining. I'm stuck at work and can't watch it. All I got to see was LV speak.

Posted by: jessie31202 | December 3, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I posted my question to Wilbon.

I asked if he still believes that all the wonderful memories of Sean Taylor that we're hearing are just a function of the Redskins PR department, as he stated last week.

Oh, he won't take the question. But it felt good to ask it.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 3, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I asked Wilbon why he never shows up on-time for his chats.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"shouldn't it take more than the death of Sean Taylor to bring you to church"

NOT A TIME TO ADVANCE YOUR AGENDA!!! I'm sorry but this is outrageous.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Get a life Wilbon.

Posted by: eppard03 | December 3, 2007 01:45 PM

good article, Im glad that there are some decent writers out there, and ones that call out the bad ones.

Posted by: SAK2 | December 3, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

From the intro to Wilbon's chat, which just began.

As it turns out following the arrests, it appears Sean was not targeted, as I suspected. But it appears his home was targeted, which by definition makes it not random.

Posted by: tlehtone | December 3, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"shouldn't it take more than the death of Sean Taylor to bring you to church"

NOT A TIME TO ADVANCE YOUR AGENDA!!! I'm sorry but this is outrageous.

Posted by: Barno | December 3, 2007 01:58 PM
-----------------------------------

Dude's getting a little preachy for me too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dude, some people aren't religious. Don't knock them for it AT Sean Taylor funeral. He is criticizing Taylor's friends who aren't regular church goers.

This is simply not the right time or place.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how moving this whole ceremony has been. Great tribute to a great man. Today as Canes (and Redskins) fans we mourn, but tomorrow as a society we need to start to address the issue of violence.

RIP ST #1 in Canes fans hearts.

Posted by: SharkBitez77 | December 3, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh this brother is bring it right now.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I can feel this man's fire from across the internet. The nfl.com stream spinelessly cut out to air a RE-RUN of NFL Gameday. God forbid me miss "priiiiiiiiime-time!". Sickening. Does anyone know if the video is being streamed anywhere else online?

Posted by: pradeep.giri1 | December 3, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

As a white man, I feel left out here. I am lost. If my priest would act like this, we would call for help. But he is brining it.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching it on Comcast SportsNet (through RCN).

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Not going to bother with Wilbon or his chats anymore. Not worth it. He is just stubborn and can't admit mistakes. It takes a man to admit mistakes; obviously Wilbon isn't one.

Posted by: BT23 | December 3, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

for those of you watching nfl.com - i picked it back up on

Posted by: chris.woody | December 3, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could watch the funeral, but something on my company's network is blocking the video. Jason and Cindy, thanks for the updates. I am sure I will see clips on the news tonight, but I am glad that so many people who knew Sean turned out to celebrate his all-too-brief life.

I am NOT happy that people like Jesse Jackson and OJ Simpson came to the funeral. Those two need to go somewhere else to mug for the camera, not crash a funeral (yeah, I know that Jackson was probably invited, but he has a habit of sticking his nose into a situation where he doesn't belong. He didn't belong here).

We didn't get home from church yesterday until 1pm, and knowing that was going to happen, I taped The NFL Today and the game, and I am glad I did. JB spoke what I have been feeling all week, and I applaud him for having both the guts and class to call out his fellow journalists for their knee-jerk reactions to Sean's shooting and death. The more I have read this past week about Sean, the more I have come to respect him for his work ethic, his kindness, and his maturity at such a young age. I don't know of anyone who made it through their teens and early 20s mistake-free. Sean's mistakes were more noticeable because he was a public figure, as a professional athlete. But he made amends, he turned himself around, and by all accounts he was a wonderfully kind and compassionate human being. Those journalists, such as Wilbon and Shapiro, who jumped to conclusions immediately upon hearing that Sean had been shot, were way off base. Thank you, Jim Brown, for calling them on it.

Posted by: jaradel | December 3, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the video help.

Posted by: pradeep.giri1 | December 3, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Quoting tlehtone quoting Wilbon: "Those of you who are upset that I wrote that Sean's past and his associations had likely caught up with him should stop screaming and burying your heads under the pillow and read the comments from his lifelong friend, Antrelle Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals who talked forcefully and with insight when he said his dear friend of 18 years was afraid to go to Miami in recent trips because he thought people were after him...Rolle's words, not mine."

Yeah, but that's NOT WHAT HAPPENED, Wilbon!

His HOUSE was targeted for BURGLARY by people who had only a tangential relationship to him. HE HIMSELF was not targeted for MURDER by one of the people who supposedly had it out for him. So regardless of whether or not anyone wanted to get to him, that isn't what happened, your argument is a straw man, and you are an a**. Which is a shame, because I used to like you.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

1. You and Antrelle were both wrong, so please don't justify your actions with the "it wasn't just me" defense.
2. Antrelle's comments didn't attack Sean's character, yours did.

My respect for you just dropped immeasurably after this ridiculous justification for your actions.

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 3, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Mike is taking it hard on the chat. Just FYI guys.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 01:47 PM
____________

My girlfriend of several years (she's more into the arts and culture than sports) thinks my "values" are warped because I've been so upset by this. I suppose only fellow sports/redskins fans can understand. It's a shame, because this is causing a real strain on our relationship.

Posted by: smarty_pants | December 3, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm just too generous with Wilbon, but I thought he admitted pretty forthrightly that he was wrong: "As it turns out following the arrests, it appears Sean was not targeted, as I suspected."

As for the timing which many up here have criticized, "Those of you who thought that column was printed too soon...perhaps it was."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

This guy at the podium makes me want to keep distancing myself further and further from Jesus.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I sorta feel sorry for the woman doing the sign language. There's maybe a handful of hearing empaired people out there watching and she has been translating to sign language for 4 plus hours now.

She has got to be exhausted...

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Folks, time to get off WIlbon's back. I read his column a number of times and to me, he seemed to be railing against black on black crime. He might have said he was not surprised but he didn't say Sean had this horrible death coming. He gave him credit for turning his life around. I can't speak for ESPN, MSNBC, etc. because I haven't watched but Wilbon is one of the best columnists in the country. You may not like what he's written but it was a well thought arguement (again, not saying you have to agree). If you don't like it don't read him anymore.

Posted by: rmfsports | December 3, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Smarty-pants - tell your girlfriend that this girl who loves opera, arts and thinks the biggest world tragedies are hunger and war - has a heart that's big enough to hold many things, including a love of her hometown team and those that play on it. And when we lose someone who has brought us joy or happiness, someone who has reached us - regardless of how they reached us - we are sad.

And we mourn.

And that's ok.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon refused to apologize....sorry, thats classless. He was wrong about the circumstances surroung this whole thing. If he were a real man, he would apologize, and be done with it. He's not...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Annie -- well said.

Posted by: smarty_pants | December 3, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

What was he "wrong" about? He suspected something...as did Sean's oldest friend...they had reasons for that...and his suspicious turned out to not be the case. He never said, "this is what happened." Jesus...get over yourselves. And learn to navigate deeper, more nuanced waters.

Is this funeral really still going on?

Posted by: jspaceman72 | December 3, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

So many old 'skins there - Mosely, Monk, others. What a wonderful showing from the group and the team. I've had my differences with Snyder and will have them in the future. But arranging to bring everyone down for this is nothing less than a class act.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Looked like Chad Johnson was there too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 3, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Service just ended a few minutes ago.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wilbon makes me sick. I cant believe how he is holding himself up on a pedestal. JLC, when you see him in the office, can you smack him around a few times for all Skins fans? He had the nerve to talk about someones typo..

Unbelievable.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Very good MMQB.

Everyone gets props, including JLaC constant updates of this blog.....

King lets people who knew Sean talk about him, since he didn't

Posted by: RightWay | December 3, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm in school in Tennessee. I was shocked to hear about the death of one of my favorite players. I'm 25 myself...and just reading all of this stuff...I'm in the lab trying to keep it together myself and I can't even see the service. Life is so precious you guys...this is my first time posting here. I guess it kinda speaks to my own feelings of invincibility. This is such a terrible thing....

Posted by: sdmdtsu | December 3, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Because I missed some of the Florida City mayor's comments about the media, I'll pick them up from our news story and share them:

Wallace had sharp words for the news media, saying that one good result he hopes to see is "the media getting a small lesson in grace and humility" from Taylor's death.

"For those who took the liberty of recklessly speculating that this young man's death was caused by the way he lived, all I can say is that they should be ashamed," Wallace said, drawing a standing ovation. He said it was "unforgivable" to engage in such speculation, which was based largely on a previous run-in with the law in 2005 when Taylor was charged with brandishing a firearm at three persons he believed had stolen a pair of all-terrain vehicles from him. Taylor reached a plea deal in the case and avoided jail time.

Wallace urged journalists to "take a real deep breath and think of Sean Taylor" the next time they "have an inclination to tarnish an image" when someone has been the victim of a violent crime.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Chad was great last night. During the moment of silence before the Bengals-Steelers game, lots of players had their heads down but CJ was holding up 2 fingers on his left, and 1 finger on his right hand. Say what you will about him, but I really like Chad a lot.

Also, prediction for tonight: Ray Lewis does something to draw attention to Sean at some point. I would love for him to run out with Sean's jersey or something like that, but that might be too bold or upsetting to teammates/fans. Maybe he just holds the fingers up too.

Posted by: jgperras | December 3, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"JLC, when you see him in the office, can you smack him around a few times for all Skins fans?"

"All Skins fans?" Think again.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | December 3, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Please dont attack my comments.

"Is the funeral really still going on"

Like its a big burden to you if the funeral goes on longer than 20 minutes? Yes it was long, but many important people were touched by Sean's life and wanted to show that. It could've been an all day ceremony in my opinion, but it lasted under 3 hours. I've been to funerals that have last longer myself.

Some people...

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I am just emotionally drain right now. I really don't know how they are going to play Thursday. All of them gets much respect from me. I really don't think I would be able to do it.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon's an arrogant a$$. His commentary was wrong and he should "man up" and apologize for it. I remember reaching out to him as an aspiring journalism student when he visited my alma mater, Florida A & M University in the early 90's. He was invited there to speak to the students. He left me hanging like an abandoned spider web. I respect his writing to a certain degree but since he got on this ESPN/ Pardon The Interruption sarcasmic show, he's not always represented himself or his race well with some of his comments. Difference here is that his comments about Sean were not on the clock. He had time to gather himself and he still chose bad words to express himself. And that guy Cowherd's actions were no different. Same with Jim Rome.

Posted by: gregskins | December 3, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

i've read a number of posts regarding the preacher and the religious aspects to todays funeral and all i have to say is that this is not your funeral nor is it your families. sean was a religious man as it turns out and clearly this is the service that HIS family wanted for him. that is all that matters.

If you did not feel comfortable with the message being disseminated by the preacher then at least realize that the message was probably in line with the families and their wishes and for them and their, it was appropriate. again, that is all that matters

Posted by: meli786 | December 3, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if these "journalists" know what a "thug" is?? I think it's a term just thrown around too loosely. And Jason Whitlock...my god don't get me started on him.

Posted by: sdmdtsu | December 3, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I didn't "attack" your comments. I corrected you. You don't speak for anybody but yourself and those who grant you permission to speak for them.

Yes, a three hour funeral is brutal, especially because what really extends them out tends has little to do with the deceased.

Posted by: jspaceman72 | December 3, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I agree with the "wilbon sucks" mantra. One of the first things he said on todays chat was that he would NOT apologize for what he said. What a classless prick.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

spaceman - did not read his article. My opinion of Wilbon is done. A few weeks ago he called someone a "retard" and he then dismisses Sean Taylor's murder as "doesn't surprise me based on the way he lived his life." Was his killer someone that has a connection to him? Yes, but through his family. What if someone your mom or dad knew came in, shot, and killed you. Would you expect people to say "not surprised based on the way he lived his life?" Get a clue...

Posted by: BT23 | December 3, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Folks like Wilbon and Kornheiser have become to big to be taken seriously as journalists. This is what happens when people covering stories become the stars themselves and become too self-absorbed. Look at Katie Couric and her plumetting ratings at CBS. Before too long people will grow tired of journalists and columnists thinking they are bigger than the stories they follow or write about. We may look back at this tragic event as the momment Wilbon's career began to decline.

Posted by: wsgoodwin | December 3, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Sean's murder is tragic and senseless, and I will miss watching him play. I do not take offense to Wilbon's comments though. He said he was not suprised that this happened to Taylor. He was not condemning him for his past actions or saying that it was inevitable due to his past lifestyle. It frankly does not surprise me either. Would any of you been surprised if it had been Pac Man? If I read a headline that said "NFL player shot and killed", about 5 or 6 names would immediately come to mind (Pac Man 1st and foremeost), and if it was one of them I wouldn't be surprised. If the headline read "Redskin player shot and killed" I would have immediately been worried that it was Taylor. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is what I think, and I am not trying to pass judgement on Sean or saying he deserved this. I just think Wilbon's comments were not to far off the mark. Don't let one guy's opinion/comments get under your skin so much. Grieve your own way and move on. Peace.

Posted by: dlhaze | December 3, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

jspaceman72,

Oh okay, not "all" skins fans that are aware of his comments are angry with wilbon...just 99.9%.

Only a fool wouldn't be upset by some of Wilbon's comments.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

jm220, I hear you. I'm drained and exhausted, I'm I've just been sitting behind my television and computer. My buddy is taking me to the game Thursday (awesome seats) for my birthday (woo hoo!), but part of me is already thinking about the offseason, free agency, and the draft. After that game yesterday, I really can't see how lightning could possibly strike where this season ends 9-7 ... and even if it did, that that would be good enough for a wild card given who we've lost to. This season has been one gut punch after the other, dating back to Samuels going down in the preseason ... up through our HoF coach slipping up on knowing the rules yesterday. The loss of the best player ... a label that includes not only level of skill at position, but also versatility and durability, might well have done me in for the season. [I say this, but I've also tried to convince myself to quit blogging ... lotta talk, not so good at follow though]. It makes it harder to know that our best player was also a great dude.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

D man I haven't been to the gym since this thing happened. Today is going to be the first day of trying to do something. Someone post earlier their friend thought they were silly for crying over Taylor. All my friend (even Cowboys fans) all have been very supportive. They had grown to respect Sean from me talking about him so much and pointing out his play. And all the Taylor jokes from the blog. I want to say thank you to each and every one of them as well as a lot of you guys here.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

dcsween,
In case you were wondering...I'm the guy next to you in the boat with the big orange life vest on!

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Wilbon hosts a chat and no one is there to participate it . . .

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | December 3, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

dcsween - congrats on the b-day tickets. Do a favor for those of us who don't get to go. Give a salute to Sean's name and thank him for his time as a 'skin.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Just so as not to sound like a total turd on the season ... if the Skins DO win these next four games (which means having beaten Minnesota), and the Lions and the Cardinals each lose at least one, then I think the Skins would be the 9-7 team with the best record on head-to-head games.

My lesson for today is the one from LaVar ... remembering to tell the people who I care about that I do.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Hi guys. Sorry I've been absent, it took a real long time to catch up with all the comments of the last few days.

I didn't have any opportunity to watch the game yesterday and didn't really have any interest either. Most of the fun of watching football has gone out of it for me right now.

The tributes being paid and anecdotes related create a so much rounder picture of Sean Taylor as a person than the cartoon-like world of the NFL with its rapid characterisations permits. He was an even richer man in his heart than in the accumulated trappings wealth that seems to have motivated his senseless death.

If this whole situation accomplishes anything, it should remind us that the rush to judgment says little about the people we judge, yet much about us.

The players whose careers we SO envy; kidding ourselves that we would "play for free if we got the chance" are people too. They fully deserve our respect, even (perhaps especially) in the games "our" team loses, as well as the wins. the names I see players and coaches called on here aren't deserved by anyone in life.

Maybe we can all remember that and try to keep a little better perspective as we watch?

Posted by: Redcoat | December 3, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | December 3, 2007 03:26 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

sween,

you're right...if skins run the table, they'll have tiebreakers over Det, Minn, Ariz, and Chi-town because of head-to-head wins. only thing is we'd have to avoid tiebreakers with Carolina and NO, because both of those teams have better conference records than we do.

not saying we'll run the table, but i'm just sayin....

Posted by: student1234 | December 3, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Thank you once again for all of your Redskins/Sean Taylor coverage. I'm old enough to remember when there was no internet and I had to go to the local newstand, pretend to buy a local paper for .25 and grab a Washington paper instead to get all my Redskins news. There was no espn either. Now I can just logon to a pc anywhere and be at Redskins Park, Fedex field or sadly today at Sean Taylors funeral. Thanks again, you are very much appreciated.

We miss you #21.

Wayne Lawrence

Posted by: damn1 | December 3, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we might be able to beat the Bears and Giants (big maybe), and bye week 17 the cowboys could lay down for us, but there's no way we'll beat the vikings in Minn. They are looking pretty scary right now (Peterson is an absolute beast), and if Gibbs tries to run 30 times against them it will be lucky to net 20 yards. Vikings are my sleeper pick to knock off the Boys in the playoffs. If we win out, terrific, but my hunch is that we will only take solace in rooting against Dallas and the Giants.......

Posted by: dlhaze | December 3, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Once again a big thanks to JLC and Cyn Cyty. Off to the gym and will check back in later.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I am sick to my stomach by the number of #21 commemorative towels from yesterday's game that are being auctioned off on eBay. 81 in total as I make this post..

Posted by: skinz57 | December 3, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

rmfsports, as many of us has stated before, it was Wilbon's words on his chat last week that were so disturbing - far more than his article. He stated that Sean "embraced the thug life" which was a blatant lie. If he wants to redeem himself, he needs to write an article apologizing but will he do it? No way.

Glad that so many of you were able to see the funeral. I've been at work and was only able to watch bits and pieces. Of course right after Gibbs spoke I had to go to a freakin' meeting!!!! I set my DVR to record it but the funeral stated really late and went on for so long that I'm sure I got none of it...thinking it would only be around an hour. Hopefully, it will be on the Skins or Sportsnet's website.

Posted by: Lisa | December 3, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

student,
your optimism is astounding

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I would consider buying One of the #21 towels
IF the proceeds were going to Sean Taylor Trust Fund.

JLa do you know if the Redskins Organization is planning on Selling The #21 Towels and donating some or all of proceeds to ST Trust Fund?

Posted by: Down777866 | December 3, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Anyone that missed the funeral, or wants to see some of the keynote speaker, www.cbs4.com has a good amount of clips that you can watch sorted by speaker.

Posted by: SharkBitez77 | December 3, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Down777866, I believe they ran out of towels. I was at the game yesterday and heard one person thanking another for giving them a towel since "they had ran out."

Posted by: Lisa | December 3, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

sdmdtsu,

In the absence of NateinthePDX, welcome!

Glad to have you with us.

Peace blog friends, Peace.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 3, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I would consider buying One of the #21 towels
IF the proceeds were going to Sean Taylor Trust Fund.

___________________________________________

It would be a wise decision on Snyder's behalf to sell them for a minimal amount ($5/10), donating the proceeds to the trust fund established in little Jackie's name. This would significantly reduce the number of opportunistic auctioneers on eBay/ Craigslist out to profit from ST's death..

Posted by: skinz57 | December 3, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinz57 | December 3, 2007 03:33 PM

Please. If i hadn't gone to the game and gotten my own towel, I'd be very grateful that they were available on ebay, just as I'm sure many others are glad to have the ability to buy something they couldn't have otherwise gotten unless they were there.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse