James Released; Geisinger, Samuels on IR

The Redskins have released defensive end Erasmus James and placed Justin Geisinger and Chris Samuels on the season-ending injured list because of injuries they suffered Sunday night in the loss to the Ravens. Geisinger hurt his knee and Samuels tore his triceps.

The team also announced that it has signed tackle Devin Clark (off the practice squad) and guard Will Montgomery. The Skins signed wide receiver Marques Hagans and guard Rueben Riley to the practice squad.

Clark (6-4, 312) signed with the Redskins on May 2 and was released Aug. 30, signing with the practice squad the next day. Montgomery (6-3, 312) is in his third NFL season and was inactive for two regular-season games with the New York Jets this season before being waived Oct. 14. A native of Clifton, Va., he was a seventh-round pick (234th overall) by the Carolina Panthers in 2006 and played collegiately at Virginia Tech.

The Redskins obtained James on May 27 in a trade with the Minnesota Vikings. He played in five games.

Hagans (5-10, 205) has spent most of this season on the Kansas City Chiefs' practice squad. A Hampton, Va., native who attended the University of Virginia, he was a fifth-round draft pick by the St. Louis Rams.

Riley (6-4, 305) spent parts of training camp this summer with Miami and Carolina .

...

For more on Zorn v. Portis, go to Dan Steinberg's D.C. Sports Bog.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 9, 2008; 7:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Rips Zorn (Updated)
Next: A Note on Erasmus James' Departure

Comments

cosomfla first of all I don't think they would have handle things in this manner. But to answer your question. I believe they would have a close door meeting with CP. Tell him they both could have handled things better. Let him know how they really feel about practice if that is the real issue.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 9, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

No offense but this is old news you got anything else?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 9, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

RI Blog, may I have another helping os stupid please?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

"2) Portis has been a"quiet cancer" for a long time..."

Posted by: po403 | December 9, 2008 7:29 PM

This is a new one. "A quiet cancer" - LOL, that is rich, f'n unadulterated rich.

Portis is a cancer. Why don't you just simply say that you don't care for the guy instead of picking crumbs outta your ass, and calling them pop rocks?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 7:42 PM

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey CL. Give me you view on this my friend. How is the baby and wife?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 9, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

os=of

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

What do you think Parcells/Landry/Ditka...would do in this situation?
-----------------

Well, Parcells would have just started calling him the running back...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 9, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

lol, a quiet cancer, haha, if by quiet cancer you mean horse the team regularly rides because he's the only legitimately consistent threat this offense has had for four years now then yes I agree.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 9, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I admire the spirit and loyalty of the Redskins' nation, I really do. Forever the optomists.

Posted by: po403 | December 9, 2008 7:38 PM

po403,

Almost.

Half of us are myopic.

The other half are forever the optometrists.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

yes, CL, stupidity is the soup de' jour on RI.

Trade and or cut ALL of your talent, fire Zorn, Portis is a narcissist (what pro player in any sport isn't?), and you regular serving of "F vinny" and "way to go vinny".

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

The guy's an MVP candidate - still - with three games left.

The fallout from this isn't what interests me as much as the question of Zorn's competence.

If this was an isolated incident, fine. But if he pulls a few more bonehead moves like this one (taking his best player off the field at halftime in a 14-0 game when you need to win out and get to 11-5 to have a realistic chance at the playoffs), then his stay here should be short.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 9, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I went away for a few hours, but checking in now I can tell this still stinks.

UNLESS it's another brilliant bit of stagecraft from our crazy like a fox supa-dupa-star running back. You know, to get everybody all fired up and rallytastic. Right.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 9, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Coach Z and CP need to sit down and talk this out. Leigh Torrence could mediate.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the fire is everywhere ... :)

Vinnie releasing James? Hmmmm, the Danny must be volcanic ...

Keep stoking that fire ...

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Man, someone give me the over/under on years until DC sports fans are worst than or equal to Philly sports fans.

I'm watching the Wizards right now. Makes you wish that you could run the microwave and look right into the damn thing - with the door wide open.

Can someone explain hockey to me please (CAPS is all we have in D.C.) - just wasn't a sport of interest where I'm from... Something about a bunch of white guys chasing a little black figure with rage and sticks.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Does a team have to have different positions represented on a practice squad?

I ask because I don't understand signing a WR (Marques Hagans) to the practice squad when they have Moss, ARE, Thrash, Thomas and Kelly.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 9, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

LMAO
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 9, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence? too late ... ? I guess Danny finally got the picture ... hurray have to figure a guy who went to a fairly decent school in Rockville would finally stop doing the Al Davis.

Yes, Danny IT DEFINITELY IS VINNIE. Yes Jim Zorn was not ready to be head coach ... but then neither was Joe Gibbs and he went to the superbowl pretty damned fast after his first year. NO you don't completely clean house again and pull another Spurrier.

If you are smart you rehire Joe Gibbs as PRESIDENT and NOT head coach, give him a piece of the action (partial ownership) and let him hire coaches, GM's etc. You either get rid of Vinnie or move him over to the marketing and mass media department.

Yes, wake up Danny ... :) But don't overreact.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Nope just bodies to help emulate the other team
in practices.

_____________________________________________

Does a team have to have different positions represented on a practice squad?

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Was the pick traded to Minn for James a conditional pick based on playing time?

Posted by: cb50 | December 9, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

CP really sez:

You know that I would be a liar if I was to say to you coach you really lit my fire ...
c'mon zorny light my fire ... c'mon let the flames go higher ..

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

If you have 5 lineman and Portis blocking, you have four receivers. Portis is probably a better blocker than some lineman and our tight ends Use your tight end as your safety valve.

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | December 9, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

our franchise is going down the tubes

Time to play some Madden franchise mode

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 9, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Zorn and Portis definitely need to work this out pronto, and here is the template for how to do it. (Click "Restart" in the top-left corner.)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

We might as well use two tight ends until we can field three wide receivers that are genuine offensive threats.

That would be better that watching your offense get blown up, play after play.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Mssr. Zorn is right. Mr. Portis has lots of yards and 8 touchdowns ... against poor to mediocre teams. Check his stats against the teams with good defenses. And his passing stats are atrocious.

Larry Brown after 12 games had 4 TD pass receptions and a 14.3 yards per catch average. What does Mr. MVP have? Brown really did carry that team ... he personally crushed the best the NFC had, then there was the dolphins.

CP YOU DON'T EVEN COME CLOSE. SO NOW PROVE I AM WRONG!? PROVE YOU ARE BETTER than a guy who made a pittance compare to you even in 1970's dollars. Someone who could officially be labeled as disabled ... DEAF IN ONE EAR. YEAH, YOU CP, you aren't as good ... not even close ...

So, what are you going to do about that ... go on the radio and cry and pout? Boo hoo they say I'm not as good as Larry Brown. As bad as Riggins.

__________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling you guys, this is just CP getting himself pumped up, getting his 'me against the world' groove on. Not saying I approve of course, hopefully Zorn sees it for what it is. CP is going to destroy the Jolly Bengalis, and I'm going to rip into my Dad all next week!

Posted by: kost52 | December 9, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

its called heavy jumbo and you use an extra tackle.
been tried, didn't work.

_________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

watching the halftime report of the college basketball game...

Bobby Knight might end up punching or choking Digger Phelps by the end of the year.

oh, sorry, were yall talking about something?

PS if you're the donating type, give to the Jimmy V foundation! It's a great cause!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 9, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Well well well the true crybaby Portis has exposed his ugly mouth. The Skins don't need him as a player and he should be cut immediately and let him take his "me first" attitude somewhere else to distract some other team. He apparently thinks he is so special he can just go into the game and run the ball. Well crybaby Portis should get out of his time warp and realize that running is not all or sometimes even the most important thing for a running back. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out.

Posted by: zeb2 | December 9, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

The Bengals aren't the problem. Its the Eagles followed by Singletary's rising 49'ers. This needs to be a 3 game jag.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:16 PM
=============================================
Have you actually watched these games?

The fact that our O.L. has suddenly gotten too old and injured to compete against NFC East style defenses is not something I think you should be held against Zorn or Portis.

But it is the salient fact of our current losing streak.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

so do we get our draft pick back??

Posted by: theredskin | December 9, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

>>> Have you actually watched these games?

Yes, and Zorn is right. There is marked difference between Portis at the beginning of the year and Portis at the end. Injuries do occur and they lost their starting right tackle in Heyer. Jansen took over.

ITS NOT age (although that is a factor in pass protection) its about taking the heat off of Moss, catching those screens and swing outs so the defenses don't run blitz on every play. Betts was out there doing that ... CP was not.

CP needs to do more if he is going to open his mouth and embarrass everyone.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

we waste draft picks anyway.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope you'll all join me tonight in lighting a candle, in hope of a speedy resolution to this difficult and tender matter.

Also, the missus is making chili, so the candle will have secondary benefits as well.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a pretty good blocker but he is not better than some linemen. He would get run over by Suggs and company. He does stick his head in there and try. He just doesn't have the weight and leverage. He slows them down ...

But I think Zorn should consider sitting ARE and putting Betts in the backfield with Portis. Move Sellers to H/F-back starting in the backfield.
Can line up at an end position for pass blocking. Full back for running. Betts can run or catch passes.

Probably too late for that but at this point I think Betts is a better target than ARE is.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

On his plans: "I'm gonna go out there and try to make sure I don't get hurt and I'll make sure I get out in every pass route. If my man ain't coming, I ain't chipping nobody, I ain't doing nothing I ain't supposed to do. I'm gonna get out in my pass route and that's where I'll be. If somebody else give up a sack or anything else, that's on them."

Now that sounds like a true cry baby..."make sure I don't get hurt?"...maybe try taking some speech lessons to while you are at it Clinton...sounds like a total dumb a@@

Posted by: po403 | December 9, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Geisinger? Was he the guy who "replaced" Samuels?
(periculum you are on a roll today.)

Posted by: mack1 | December 9, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

periculum, Jansen took over?

In what respect, Charlie?

If you can't pass because your line can't protect your quarterback, it gets harder to run.

Portis ran for big yards against Dallas the first time, in Dallas. What do you think was different about the Dallas game here?

I'm saying our old offensive line was blown up and exposed by Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's approach was copied by the Giants. And this even worked for the Cowboys, 2nd time round.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

okay i side with cL and curzon. peric had me until he compared zorny to gibbs I. rest of peric i agree with.

catch 21: zorny SHOULD bench cp against cincy to send a message.

but zorny can't win without cp.

that would essentially mean 7-9 season for zorny or 1-7 to be exact and the offense going in the wrong directions.

so bottom line can't wait till our superbowl, the off season!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

... c'mon make those flames go higher ... c'mon zorny light Portis fire ...
_________________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

The Wishbone! Perfect.

Posted by: mack1 | December 9, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

“A lot of people that think in winning you have to add something on,” Elko said. “What I tell people is get rid of all things in your life that aren’t winning and winning will find you. Mental clutter. Get rid of the garbage, the gossip. Get rid of everything on your mind that won’t get you what you want.”

hmmm...maybe the Dead-Skins should think about this bit of advice, and get rid of the garbage around Redskins Park...

Posted by: po403 | December 9, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

hey I love hockey. Caps my second fave team of all time. Red I will explain caps hockey: a team that made shrewd moves to compile draft picks and salary cap space and then stocked their team with 8-12 of the best young players in the game and worked hard to be transparent to fans about their plan and committed to a greatgame day experience for fans. And oh yeah they have the best player a DC team has had in 15 years who makes that panty waste Gilbert arenas look like soft metrosexuL he is.......

Hockey ain't for everyone but they are the best game in town in DMV.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I think he's more like Norv than Gibbs. It is time to "flame on" if they are going to rescue this season. 10-6 is a great finish. May not get them into the playoffs ... but still a great finish.

And Gibbs may have looked it ... but he was never "medium". He seemed to relish playing the more "flamboyant" coaches like Parcells, Buddy Ryan, and Jimmy Johnson. This kind of "fire" is exactly what Mr. Medium needs perhaps? :) And Mr. Pouty face Portis.

"okay i side with cL and curzon. peric had me until he compared zorny to gibbs"

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

>> periculum, Jansen took over?

Yup, Heyer was the starter until he got injured. They left Jansen in when Heyer came back. Now, here he is again. Better pass blocker at least.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

for you, periculum.

P.S. I also watched the 1972 Super Bowl (on T.V., that is), so I don't want anyone telling me to stay offa their lawn.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Nasty, surly, angry ... NOT MEDIUM. Crush the Bengals and then wreak revenge on the Eagles ... saving some for the 49'ers.

NO MORE MEDIUM. The defense is nasty, surly, vindictive. The offense needs to get more like the defense.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

My take on this is that it is pathetic all around with blame to spare. People that go out of their way to bash portis are the same psuedo moralist who get their panties in a bunch like it's their job everytime an athelete acts like a human bring and not the automotons I think some of you wish actually played the games.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

has anyone watched heyer attempt to run block? pathetic.Heyer is not an answer,the only thing more pathetic is jason taylor's performance week in and week out,why not release him.Im still disappointed we didnt draft adrian peterson,I like Laron's game but please dont tell me we didnt miss out on a golden opportunity to have "all day" in a redskin uniform.

Posted by: mark65 | December 9, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Do the hustle???? No way dude. Waaaaaay too medium.

Its CLOBBERING TIME, FLAME ON Washington Redskins!

_____________________________________________

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

*** FF LOAG (League of Anon Gentlemen)***

In hindsight, me vs Forrest was a clash of titans (with all due respect to Zornskins).

Forrest has the #1 QB (Brees) in FF points, the #3 WR (Roddy White) and the #1 RB (westbrook) in PPG (accounting for his missed games). His other WR, Lance Moore is about 6th best since week 3. His jints defense/teams is #5 overall. He grabbed one of the few overlooked players for his TE (Carlson) just in time, the #5 TE.

I have the #5 QB (Rivers), the #1 RB (Williams) and the #1 WR (Fitzgerald). My other RB (LenDale White) and WR (Reggie Wayne) are both around 17th at their respective positions. Wayne, though, has been a disaster since week 7. My TE is 4th overall and I carried 2 top kickers (though a missed 40 yard FG this week cost me the spot in the finals).

Looking ahead to Zornskins in the finals ... well he has some big guns, too. His QB, romo, is #1 in PPG, accounting for his missed games. Marshawn Lynch is 16th and Chris Johnson is 7th among RBs giving him one of the best 1-2 RB combos in the league. Steve Smith is a top 5 WR in PPG (having been suspended for the the first 2 games of the year). Zornskins has Tony Gonzales, by far the top TE. Eddie Royal and Peyton Hillis are both guys that have delivered good numbers, though with Hillis out, Zornskins task is going to be even tougher.

Zornskins, with the best record in the league (12-2) against Forrest with the longest win streak (now at 7).

Of note ... both guys rely heavily on players from philly, dal and the jints (6 starters in all) -- which the two runner ups (myself and 4th) refused to use. Either Forrest and Zornskins will be the league champ, but without dignity. Right 4th?

*** end FF ***

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 9, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking you are right. But maybe this will light a flame the way Bosco and Talby used to. Cause ol' Zorny used to play in the league ... he needs to stop thinking Norv and start thinking ghost rider.

"Re zorn: I have the sinking feeling the dude is norv 2.0 or maybe a west coast surfer dude version of spurrier. I want to be wrong so hope I am."

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I know it's not the story of the day but it ticks me off that we cut James and pissed away a draft pick. I was on record for begging the skins to siht can Erasmus on final cut down day when they could have kept the pick. I felt rob Jackson beat him out. 7th rounders do pan out, we kept two of them this year.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Damn perc busting out marvel references

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

*** FI ***

De plane, boss!

Rich Corinthian leather.

*** end FI ***

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

periculum likes comic books.

Geek.

(Said the guy with 3,000 bagged, boarded, and boxed comics in his office closet.)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

What the hell do you want from Portis? Blood? Oh yeah he left that on the turf at Detroit on Ford's Field.

What else? Multiple ailments? Oh yeah, his neck, knee, and f'n ribs are hurtin'.

How about production? How about 1,260 (4.7 a clip) yards - including 5 straight ONE HUNDRED TWENTY PLUS yard games? Or his 7 TDs? Wait, I forgot about his 26 catches for 200 yards (Something that a certain WR couldn't amass in what, 2 or 3 years?) - for a 15.5 average...

Nevermind his stout pass blocking, his determination he displays EVERY down, and his stubborness to play EVEN when he shouldn't - and when he doesn't, he gets pissed - even though it's his best interest that he doesn't play!

Please, he needs to do more? I bet your one of these lod dudes on here that love to have your moment of nostalgia for the "good ol' days" when a "nickle bag" cost you a nickle, and they had cocaine in cola. Comparing him to Larry Brown? Why don't we also compare him to Jim Brown, Red Grange, and all the other backs from yesterday.

It's a different era, most dudes were on another level when it came to toughness - playing on broken legs or whatever. I find it funny that you compare CP to Larry Brown - comparing their level of toughness.

Let me ask you a question, periculum, have you ever played football? Organized football, not the stuff that you and your buddies do on the lawn. Have you ever had a MAJOR injury that can affect the way you just simply walk? Have you have had an SERIOUS injury and was expected to carry on the status quo?

You're way out of line to question his toughness or compare it to a LEGEND in Larry Brown. What is your profession? Let's compare your on the job performance with someone who does it at a national level. I bet we'll be saying: "That dude, periculum, he needs to do more if he wants to open his mouth".

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Dear Clinton:

1972 MVP 12 games

285 1,216 4.3 8
32 473 14.8 4

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

What is your profession?
Posted by: RedDMV
---------------
uh, potter sir. AHOOO! AHOOO!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 9, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Swisher or Dutch?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Freestyle.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 9, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Dumbledore.

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Yes. Yes. and yes.

When you open your mouth the way he did (see Riggins: give me the ball) you put up our shut up
that's the way it was when I played.

"Please, he needs to do more? Have you ever had a MAJOR injury that can affect the way you just simply walk? Have you have had an SERIOUS injury and was expected to carry on the status quo?"

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter!

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

(see Riggins: give me the ball)
=================================
Come on now, periculum.

How many yards do you think Riggins would be getting with our current offensive line?

There's a point where your nostalgia crosses over the line into disingenuousness.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

periculum, okay.

what makes you think Portis won't do the same?

i don't know... they are playing the bengals.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

thanks freak ... for pointing to the one thing that still unites this board.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 9, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks freak. Decided to craft myself a new O-line and scheme for Christmas this year.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 9, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Well for starters why not give the OL the same benefit of a doubt that you seem to want to give to Portis? They are pretty damned good ... alot of their "failure" has to do with the dearth of skill players willing to step up in the passing game. That fact has been underscored time and again by members of opposing defenses, including the Ravens.

But the point was you don't open your mouth unless you can deliver the goods. What would everyone have thought of Riggins had he not been able to deliver? Or Gary Clark for that matter?
They DID deliver.

Now, the question is will Portis? With all of his injuries? His lack of practice? With what you claim is a poor OL?

________________________________________________

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya |

(see Riggins: give me the ball)

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we just needed someone to step up and make a play. I got the chance, and I went with it.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

os=of

Posted by: chrislarry | December 9, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

dmv, how you like them wizards now? they came back from 17 down...and won...woohoo will i watch a single nba until after march madness? ummm no.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I wholeheartedly agree. But it is the Bengals ...
Now, if he does get 200 yards to prove himself a man ... well does he claim injury and sit the week out, with season on the line, before the critical Philadelphia game????

NO, he now has to do this FOR 3 GAMES. Not ONE.
NO EXCUSES.

"i say Portis will carrry the ball at least 30 times - 'casue its the bengals, and its just fitting giving the week leading up to the game."

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I asked earlier today and never saw an answer -- why was Geisinger placed on IR? What happened to him?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Knee. Never mind. Either I missed that when this blog was posted or it was added later.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

did james actually play or was he just active for 5 games???

Posted by: deadskin | December 9, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

freak, they lined him up against suggs. that's what happneed to him...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

hey free american cars for everyone!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 9, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

+++The Skins signed wide receiver Marques Hagans and guard Rueben Riley to the practice squad.+++

I had a Reuben Riley once at Ireland' Four Provinces. Instead of sauerkraut, you get chopped up 4 Leaf Clovers.

Posted by: TheCork | December 9, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

no thanks, dealer.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 9, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | December 9, 2008 9:39 PM
=============================================
The Ravens sacked our quarterback with a two man rush on Sunday.

Zorn cut to the quick about the horrendous pass protection that has doomed his offense. He admitted that against the last four quality opponents -- Pittsburgh, Dallas, the New York Giants and Baltimore -- his offensive line was overwhelmed, He was particularly bothered by a play Sunday night on which his club surrendered a sack against a "two-man rush," with just the ends blitzing. Tight end Chris Cooley was open in the end zone, but Jason Campbell didn't have enough time to execute a decent five-step drop. Zorn said it made him cringe just to recall it.

I rest my case.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

You are late on your news! Matt Terl had this news on his blog like 5 hours ago!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 9, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the OL is poor, but however I do think that they are aging and their play overall is starting to decline due to that fact.

They were good for a few years - as a matter of fact when I think of it Washington has always had a decent running game since I've been watching football.

But, I would like to see 325+ pound guards in training camp next year, to challenge Thomas and Kendall.

Someone brought up a good fact about Ladell Betts - that he was a straight head runner. I wish they had another RB (other than Cartwright) to carry the ball.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

deal, indeed.

impressive.

now lets see em' win a couple in a row before we get the t-shirts ready.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

++++so do we get our draft pick back??

Posted by: theredskin++

Yes but they have to take a punter.

Posted by: TheCork | December 9, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Watching the NFL Network replay of Steelers/Cowboys. With the frigid temperatures and all the turnovers, it's like being in the Pillsbury section at my local grocer.

(Thank you. I'll be here all week.)

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

OMG! I can haz broked teh blog?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

All your haz broked teh blog are belong to us.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 9, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

--------
definitely not poor, thanks Jansen

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 9, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

er, thanks Vinny

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 9, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 9, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread:

But you can't sell "Zorn" jerseys!

Posted by: Leeguru | December 9, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Posted by: Peaux_Sucent | December 9, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

What makes this whole thing foolish and makes Jim Zorn look foolish is that Portis is not Terrel Owens, he is not whiner or a wimp. He did not hold out of camp, instead he stayed here all offseason and did the lifting program that the team wanted. A model citizen. No trouble with the law. Etc. Plays hurt and so on.

He is highly regarded throughout the league as a gamebreaker and a very tough blocker. He was leading the league in yards and was being mentioned as an MVP candidate....not someone to call out on a nationally televised game.

Stump Mitchell called Portis "viscious" as a pass protector. According to Zorn himself, he "simplified" the offense for this game, so how would anything new have been introduced that Betts would know better than Portis? Jim Zorn won't call out Jansen for obvious whiffs on rushers, he won't adjust his scheme, some how Portis is supposed to deliver huge hits in the protection game and get out in flat to catch dump offs as Campbell runs for his life. Its BS.

The reality is that Zorn got a big head and starting thinking he was a great play-caller. But the rag-tag line and predicatible playing caught up to him as he started facing three or four top 7 defenses. If he wants to call out a wimpy player, call out Sean Springs who has consistently let this team down.

Portis has done what was asked. He played hurt. He carried the team at times, last year and this year. He is known as a great blocker. Zorn is a fool.

Blaming Portis, (originally blaming stump mithell) is a sissy move. I have seen enough of Zorn and his stupid weave necklace and mad scientist hair during post games.

Posted by: DownTownClown | December 9, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me Portis isn't the only one with "problems" with the Head Coach. Cooley is another that comes to mind, as it seems evident in his uninspired comments about the offense the last few weeks. Although I doubt he or any of the other guys would let their issues out like this publicly.

Posted by: spizzle | December 9, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

This is what I was afraid of in the beginning of the season when Jasno described Zorn as a "media darling". Great coaches are not necessarily media darlings. Look at Gibbs; he was a closed book to the media. But, this players knew that he was with 'em. He instilled an "us vs. them" mentality that had his players fighting "their guts out" because they didn't want to disappoint the leader.

As for Zorn? He's too honest and to frank to be a great leader. Great leaders are honest and as frank as possible to the men they lead, but not necessarily to anyone else when it is not in the best interests of their players. Zorn doesn't play favorites.

In this business, sometimes, you have to. Why? Because different players have different abilities. Portis fights tooth and nail for every yard even when he's beyond hurt. He's willing to give up his body for the team. That's the sort of effort you want other players to EMULATE. Not the sort of player you want to ever bench.

Really bad move by Zorn and then he compounds it by calling CP out in public.

Zorn's early problem is his inability to adjust. His basic schemes (because his players dont have it down perfectly) or his players (beacuse he refuses to play favorites). How he does from here on end depends on how well he can change his approach to things when they aren't working

Posted by: hailbg | December 9, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Where's Zeebs? I think we need him to come in and call offsetting penalties on Zorn and Portis. Replay the down.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 9, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Its funny. I figured the Ravens game would be seminal. That a win would be huge and a loss devastating. But since the other playoff contenders lost with us, I had figured it was a 'no harm, no foul' week. Then comes this blow-up.

So, by being wrong twice, I wound up being right.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

So you're saying that in this case, two wrongs DID make a right?

Quick, take it back before you shatter that whole space-time continuum thingy!

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh my! ESPN is interviewing JLC about the Portis situation.....

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 10, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

By the way, anyone else pickup on another highly questionable move? Only having two backup OL active for the game.

We see plenty of OL injuries. You knew Samuels was a risk every game his knee (though it was triceps injury that took him out). Kendall has bad knees, both Jansen and Thomas have had major injuries in recent years, Heyer lost his starting job due to injury.

So you only have 2 active backups for 5 positions? I'm thinking that isn't smart.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Maybe in a pinch you move Rabach over to guard and have Albright play center?

Had that happened, with Geisinger also in against Balmer the other night, would we have set a league record for most centers on the field at one time?

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

2 wrongs make a right. 3 rights make a left to get to a late lunch at four. Where they met 5 and 6, who were afraid of 7 ... because 7, 8, 9.

My story, sticking to it

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 10, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's treatment of Portis shows that Zorn has no business being a head coach. Hit the road, Jim.

Portis takes a heavy pounding every week, and he gives everything he has to this team. If he needs to be handled with kid gloves, who cares? Portis has earned it. Portis makes the Redskins go. Portis pays the price. He reminds me of Larry Brown, with the way Portis battles for every yard. Portis runs with the fury of Brown and Riggo. Guys like that don't come along every day. You think Betts runs that hard? You think Betts cares that much? No way. It's not even close.

Zorn has been around league for years as a player and coach. He knows how these things work. Or he should. You don't think Alexander got some special treatment during his heyday in Seattle?

Zorn has lost the team, and he should be sent packing.

Posted by: gaspeny | December 10, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

I think This Portis thing is blown up for no reason.....

I listen to Portis on the radio and my take is not what is being written and what it's made out to be....

For anyone to call him a "cancer" is stupid

Portis is a gamer...he lays it out...he gives 100% every game......

Posted by: leevi98 | December 10, 2008 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 7:42 PM

Red, this is the funniest remark I've read on this blog in awhile. Good stuff!

This Portis vs. Zorn thing has me so pissed I literally can't form an opinion. It's just one thing after another with this team and I desperately want to NOT care what happens the rest of the year. But I know I'm an idiot and will end up watching the rest of games despite the fact we'll probably only score 27 points the rest of the year, 17 of which with be scored against the Bengals. I hate this team...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Before you write another post about Zorn/Portis, click here and read Boswell's column.

Now, all you have to write is "I agree with Boswell." We can move on to the next subject. Or back to the last subject. Weren't we discussing who to draft in the third round before the tornado struck?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2008 7:42 PM

Oh, Red, I think I ate your chocolate pop rocks.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 10, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

After hearing CP for myself I think more is being made out of this than what is really there. CP really didn't blast Zorn as it was reported on the blog.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Part 1. Zorn will learn from this. This is his first year of head coaching for any football team, he was hired as a coach -in -training. He will learn to communicate to the players what he wants and how he wants it to be done. He will learn to communicate to rookies about what level of commitment is expected from them. He will learn to communicate to Vinnie that you don't draft stupid players who take years to figure out a playbook. He seems to already have learned to communicate with Campbell, that came natural to him. Now he has to broaden that skill to the rest of the team.

Part 2. Zorn came into this position without already having established his identity as a head coach. I think that Vinnie liked that concept, because that made him malleable. It also gave Vinnie an escape hatch if things go sour. Most coaches want to establish their turf during hiring negotiations, it's a lesson they learned the hard way. Zorn had no claim to any turf at all, because he was raised two levels up from his previous position. He in effect became a beneficiary of Vinnie, a patronage position. Don't for a minute think that Vinnie did not call the shots on who was to be kept on the roster after draft day. What made the Beatherd/Gibbs tandem so dynamic was the tension between the two. Gibbs would take some of what Beatherd would give him but not all. Gibbs was going to judge talent by what he saw on the field, in practice. He would cut players that Beatherd favored. He was granted the authority to do that by Cooke. In the way that this team is aligned , Vinnie speaks for the owner. If you fight Vinnie you will lose. In the end, it is obvious that we, as Redskins fans are the supreme losers.

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Just took your advice and read Boswell's column, T_E. Dude was spot on, especially at the end. Sucks to be a Skins fan right now because there's no easy fix for what ails this team...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 7:24 AM |

Driley,

How old are you were you alive the first year Gibbs came here if so your comments are way off.

Beatherd took a huge chance on Gibbs, the first year Gibbs was here he had no say in any personell. In fact after the 0-5 start if it had not been for Beatherd Gibbs would have been fired by JKC.

The second year was much the same as it relates to personell Gibbs had no say and why would he he had done nothing yet but go 8-8.

After the SB win that second year then the relationship you speak of started to form, Gibbs had a lot of say in personell.

Zorn and Vinny's relationship is unknown to this point, how much say Zorn has as to who was kept and who was released is unknown.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Redskins coach Jim Zorn may be vying for his job over the final three games. Sports talk callers aren't the only ones wondering whether the Redskins might have Bill Cowher on speed dial for 2009. Redskins Park sources are also pondering if the team's 1-4 collapse to practically ruin its once sure playoff chances could also claim the coach. "The honeymoon is definitely over," said one team insider of Redskins owner Dan Snyder and Zorn. Zorn was given a modest contract by NFL standards as insiders questioned whether Washington was awaiting Cowher's possible return in 2009. Indeed, Cowher recently told The Washington Times that Snyder tried to lure him from retirement before hiring Zorn despite the owner's earlier denial.

Washington Examiner

Oh damn here we go.
JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

JKC and Beatherd had the patience to let Gibbs stay after that first year and look how it turned out.

Danny and Vinny need the same kind of patience with Zorn, will it turn out the same way who knows but if you fire head coaches every year you will never win anything.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Flounder21 the big difference is that Gibbs didn't call his players out. I am not saying that Zorn should be fired. But if he doesn't learn from this then it will only get worse.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Vinny, Portis, Snyder, blah blah blah....so much time is spent discussing this organizations' disfunctionality, it is disgusting. Look, let me ask ALL OF YOU something. It is a fact that the O-Line is getting old, and they wear down at the end of the season. BUT, do you all think that "straight-ahead" Portis was making all those yards at the beginning of the season on his own? NO, HE WAS NOT ! The 'Skins have one of the best run-blocking schemes in all of football, being taught by the master of teaching run blocking, ok?....so all of you bashing the o-line, Zorn, etc....and appointing Clinton as the greatest thing ever, need to wake up and see the big picture. The guy is a freakin' cry baby,but of course, most of you don't see that, because you are FANS first.

Posted by: po403 | December 10, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Part 3.

Zorn in this confrontation with Portis holds a dead hand of cards. He can sit at the table and raise the stakes, but it is all bluff. Portis has all the wildcards: he has established himself on the field, he has had the status of being able to take himself in and out as he wished from a previous coach, he likely has the backing of most of the players and not the least he has a huge contract. This last fact shows that Vinnie/Snyder will have to come down on Portis' side in order to protect their investment. Zorn will have to learn to live with this situation, that you can be called out by your star player in a dramatic way. In the end some public accommodation will be reached where it will appear that each side compromised. Zorn, I believe, is a rare man of principal
who feels like his authority as a coach is further eroded by giving in. He is balanced on the knife edge now that is made sharper by the tailspin of the team's fortunes on the field. He raised expectations dramatically in the first half of the season, a streak that masked the flaws of this team. And now that the season is crumbling he has to deal with factions within the team itself with the epicenter of the fault lines emanating around Portis. Zorn has to have confidence in himself to rally from this position, but given his position does he feel like he has no foundation upon which to make a stand and lead the team? Gibbs at least had the moral authority to be able lead a charge in December. We will see what powder Zorn has kept dry.

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

(sigh)......this @#$@ sucks...

jm, hope you're right...

zorn and cp need to get together, behind closed doors and iron this out.

Zorn also needs to SHUT UP, stop being so accessible to the media too. Don't let outsiders know whats going on at your house.

Finally, if the team fires Zorn, it will be at least 4 more years of sub .500 ball. New coach, new system, the new coach will probably want to bring in his own QB, etc. etc. etc.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

po403 you have to remember that the running game was kept the same. (Zorn own words) But we do agree that the O line is a big concern. Like I said I don't have a problem with Zorn pulling CP if it was due to the practice thing. He just need to step to the player and let him know. Not go to the media each and every time to call a player out.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

Yes I was very much alive then. Beatherd did hire Gibbs and stuck with him through the 0-5 start. So?

There was a tension between Beatherd and Gibbs. Beatherd used to complain about some of his "finds" being cut by Gibbs in training camp. But Jack Kent Cooke did not take sides in the friction between the two and each was able to perform their role. Beatherd retired earlier than Gibbs.

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 8:02 AM |

Driley,

Not in the first two years is what I am trying to tell you, Gibbs started with the same authority over personell as Zorn has none.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm chalking this up to a learning experience. Zorn learning how to deal with certain things as a HC.

Time to move onto Cincy.

Zorn needs to come up with a plan that puts points on the board. PERIOD. Utilize the rooks, untilize the wildcat, the fat cat, or the top cat, I don't give a $*#@, SCORE SOME POINTS.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

No doubt this should have been kept in house...no doubt. That being said, there is too much talk going on about how much Portis has done for his team, blah blah blah. Portis is not a "creator" as far as backs go. His success is directly linked to the success of his O-line. Period. When he was running well, it was BECAUSE of the line, not in spite of them. Remember that fact people.Truth is, both Zorn and Portis need to shut the hell up and win a freakin' game. There is a;lways a soap opera with this team, ALWAYS. It is ridiculous.

Posted by: po403 | December 10, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I wish Joe Gibbs would come back to Redskins Park and pull Zorn aside like Vito Corleone did with Sonny after the meeting with Solozzo in "The Godfather": "What's wrong with you? Never let anyone outside the organization know what you're thinking again!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 8:02 AM |

Driley,

Posted by: Flounder21

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 7:41 AM

I think YOUR comment "Gibbs started with the same authority over personell as Zorn has none." rings true for Zorn/Cerrato.

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"both Zorn and Portis need to shut the hell up"

yup...agreed 1000%...shut it, and get back to work. You've said your piece, you've gotten it off your chest, now zip it.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"I agree driley he really has to work on communicating with the players. I said back in training camp that it was stupid to call out players in the media before you talk with them. CP is the only one man enough to call him on it. Good for CP. They are men and should be treated as such no matter if Zorn is the coach or not. Because in the end if they don't play for you then your a88 will be shown the door.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage "

Right, so they are men and should be treated like it? I agree, but treating someone like a man doesn't necessarily mean you stop everything, put an arm around a guy getting paid millions and kiss his ass. That's called being a child. A man should hear what his coach has said and man up based on that alone.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Truth where in my statement or any statements on this did you hear me say that Zorn needs to put his arm around CP? I said I had no problem of him benching CP for practice if that was the issue. Only he needs to step to CP and let him know. Read my statements first before trying to put your words to mine.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"If this blog was around in 1981 all you idiots saying Zorn should be fired, would have been saying the same thing about Gibbs.

Posted by: Flounder21"

No we wouldn't (at least some of us wouldn't), just as I was not calling for Marty's head after his 1 and only season in DC.

There's a big difference between starting 0-5 then finishing 8-8, and going 6-2 then finishing 8-8 or 9-7. They are two teams moving in opposite directions.

Zorn's not finished yet, so he has time to fix this debacle (even if it's only 3 weeks). But if he doesn't, I wouldn't bat an eye to Snyder sending him packing.

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't bat an eye to Snyder sending him packing"

Just curioius, who you think would want to come to this team and coach it, if this happened??

Also, how much would learning yet ANOTHER offensive system, stunt any growth that JCampbell has made??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

NO, I take back my BEEP BEEP,

ITS MORE FRIGGIN LEIGH TORRENCE TALK!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 8:31 AM |

The difference is healthy O-Line for Gibbs, and a change in scheme.

Terrible old O-Line for Zorn, not sure about scheme because it worked OK early in the year now JC has no time to throw and the O-Line can not even run block anymore.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this is all some trickery, like we did during the win streak when CP was going after BMitch and the world? I dunno...

Way to lose a draft pick on James there A$$hats! Lets hope we get lucky and some of these kid linemen turn into starter potential keep on the roster and give a shot types.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not even going to comment on the Portis vs Zorn thing, I want to comment on the recent addition to the practice squad, Marques Hagans. First of all he's a good player and potential playmaker. He's from my hometown, Hampton,VA, and went to my one of the most successful High school football programs in VA, Hampton High School. This guy started at WR, QB, and KR for the University of VA and would be an ideal candidate to take over any of the return duties mainly from Moonwalk Randle EL, he's a good receiver too!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | December 10, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse