Jammal Brown misses practice with hip strain

Redskins right tackle Jammal Brown did not participate in practice Wednesday because of a hip strain, he said.

Brown, the two-time Pro Bowl left tackle who was acquired from the New Orleans Saints in a trade last month, had hip and hernia surgery last September and missed all of the 2009 season. Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Brown had an MRI on the hip Tuesday and that "he's fine."

"Doctors say that's typical after a guy has been injured, he is going to be a little bit sore," Shanahan said. "He wanted to go today and I just thought it was best for him, going through the type of surgery he had last year, the type of injury that he had, to take a day's rest. But he was wanting to go so he'll be out there tomorrow ready to go and hopefully there's no setback."

As he walked off the field following practice, Brown was limping slightly but said he felt that he was getting back into football shape and expected some soreness as he re-adjusted after the extended layoff.

Brown, who will play right tackle in Washington with first-round draft pick Trent Williams slotted on the left side, said coaches want to make sure he doesn't further aggravate the hip as he continues to work his way back.

"I just took a day off of rest," Brown said. "It's my first time back at it doing football things so just getting a little rest on it.

Brown said he expects to be back on the field for practice on Thursday.

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 4, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Jammal Brown , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Danny Smith: Graham Gano "a great young prospect"
Next: Veterans catch a breather in morning practice

Comments

Hope this is not a sign of things to come with him. In our optimism with him, we're fogetting he's been hurt the past year.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the Red Snapper.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Type for yourself, Devo. Don't drag me into your optimism and your forgetfulness.

Posted by: TBDog | August 4, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately the same can be said for Carricker and Maake. It not good when you have three lineman penciled in as starters all of whom missed the entire last season.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 4, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Where did Albright end up, anyway?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Where did Albright end up, anyway?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

At home I think.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 4, 2010 2:43 PM

Well if they can stay healthy, hope it means they'll be hungry and fresh. We'll find out soon enough.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Where did Albright end up, anyway?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

On his couch.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

His 53 Madden rating finally caught him.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Quote changed from "positive" in the last post to "he's fine". MRI + positive = Bad I think.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I think this is just another log on the "sign another tackle" fire. In my mind, you can never have enough quality tackles. Time for Bruce Allen to go work his magic... Also, I am wondering who took Brown's place in practice. Before T. Williams signed, they had Robinson in his spot, which I thought was a big surprise. So, did Heyer or Capers get a shot. One last thing on tackles: Logan Paulsen, the rookie tight end, was viewed as a developmental prospect at tackle by some teams. Apparently the guy is a savage blocker. With Vickers' strong play in that department, I am thinking they need to find another place on the roster for the guy. Initially, I thought they would give him a shot at long snapper ala John Brandes, but maybe having him backup at tackle and play special teams would be a way to keep him on the roster.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't be that hard to bring him back, then. Just the cost of the Aleve pills.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

At least not from a plastic bottle anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 2:34 PM

I read this article already....all I can do is just SMMFH at how this dude thought it would be funny?

Did you peep the smirk he had on the jail photo?? lolol.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Jammal will be fine.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Can Haynes-girth snap?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Aug 4 2:01 ET
Coach Mike Shanahan does a good job of moving different players into the starting lineup during practice, just to give the staff a better chance to evaluate them. If the NFL goes to two preseason games, more coaches will adopt this strategy.

Aug 4 2:21 ET
QB Donovan McNabb had a strong finish to practice this morning. McNabb struggled the past two days with his accuracy, but when the Redskins went to game-like situations, he responded with sharper passes, including one deep ball and another tight throw down the seam.

Aug 4 2:56 ET

The Redskins have emphasized causing more turnovers. That's why their defense is focusing on causing confusion with its looks. It's also why players are constantly trying to strip the ball. As soon as the ballcarrier is wrapped up, other players punch at the football.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The past few days I have been reading peoples comments to various stories. I thinks some Skins fans enjoy being misserable SOB's! I understand as Skins fans, we have had many rough seasons since our last Super Bowl win. But the negativity people have is just bullshi%! The team is moving in a good direction and Snyder has obviously backed off,otherwise Big Al would be on the field running plays. The Coach is setting a great example & Big Al we be a better player because of it. I'm not a fan of Big Al,but I think he is going to have a great year. He will continue to open up lanes for Orakpo and the turnovers are gonna sky rocket for the D this year, book it!

I have a theory for all you fare weather Skins fans that love to complain about everything.Your just not getting laid enough or at all! If you don't have a girl,just go to a strip club & get a lap dance or something to brighten up your day!

The zone blocking offense is gonna net great results & the Skins O lineman look to be better than what Denver had, when their line opeened up holes for Terrell Davis. All I'm trying to say is reserve your judgement for the season & if your still miserable,just jump on the Ravens bandwagon because they are all fake fans and will take you!
(Season Prediction 10-6) HTTR!!!
"AKA42"

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Here's another reason Brett Favre should stay retired this time: Turns out The Daily Line's Jenn Sterger has kept a ridiculously disturbing (but HILARIOUS) secret about her interactions with The Gunslinger while they were both part of the Jets organization.

For those who don't know (or forget) who Jenn Sterger is: formerly buxom Florida State Cowgirl who gained internet notoriety for being a buxom Florida State fan who parlayed that popularity into a full-time career. She did Maxim shoots. Playboy shoots. She wrote a "Confessions of a Cowgirl" column for Sports Illustrated. Then, in 2008, Ms. Sterger joined the Jets as an in-house sideline reporter. It was during that fateful time that her and Mr. Favre's paths began to cross. Sort of.

Last winter, close to the Super Bowl, Ms. Sterger and I were discussing a possible collaboration on the proposed "Deadspin Swimsuit Project," which turned into a conversation about the whole "athlete dong photo" phenomenon. She claimed that she's been on the receiving end of several of those types of cell phone interactions by drunk men, some of whom were professional athletes. We later had a phone conversation about who some of the more well-known dong-shot senders were. One person, she claimed, who was very into cell phone-donging her was none other than Brett Favre. Now, at one point in his career, this news wouldn't be too surprising. Favre's time in Green Bay is littered with stories about his boozing and carousing. But gray-haired Favre? Oh yeah, she said. Sterger said that Favre first began to call her early in the season and leave strange, friendly messages on her voicemail. She played me one of these voicemails over the phone. It was Brett turning on the Mississippi simpleton charm on his way to practice giving Jenn a friendly good ol' boy hello to a pretty lady. It was odd, but nothing incriminating. Then the phone calls from Brett started to turn weird.

Sterger claimed she spurned Favre's advances because he was married, but also because she was working for the Jets at the time she didn't think it was the best idea to start a torrid affair with the team's highest profile player (the Jets have not responded to a question about any knowledge of the Favre/Sterger saga at this time). Plus, if she went forward with how aggressive he was and how skeeved out she was to some of her superiors, she suspected she might lose her job. The interactions were flirty and strange but she didn't think there wasn't anything that made her too uncomfortable. But then, one night, Sterger received a picture on her phone which was so shocking that she just tossed it across the room. It was his dick. Brett Favre's dick. And it happened multiple times. In fact, Sterger claims that, in one of the photos Favre allegedly sent her, he's masturbating — while wearing a pair of Crocs. In another photo, Favre is holding his penis while wearing the wristwatch he wore during his first teary-eyed retirement press conferenc.

Posted by: suliman215 | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Can Haynes-girth snap?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

He can snap into a Slim Jim!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

(Season Prediction 10-6) HTTR!!!
"AKA42"

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM

I like the Redskins very much...and hardly ever complain...guess I'm getting the proper amount of sex...yes!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

If it's from Brett Favre, wouldn't it then be called a "Dikc Pic"?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

You're bringing me down, man.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

(Season Prediction 10-6) HTTR!!!
"AKA42"

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign. Stamp. Seal. Deliver.

Except it will be 11-5, not 10-6

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Can Haynes-girth snap?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

He can snap into a Slim Jim!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 3:02 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Macho Man Savage voice) OOOHHHHHH YEEEEAAAHHHHH!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

U followin' me, Sul?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 4, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Macho Man Savage voice) OOOHHHHHH YEEEEAAAHHHHH!

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@adamaniba: Hear, Hear. Whatever happened to civility? Makes me wish Art Monk was still on the team. Opinions are like ****oles; everyone has one. Or is that Republicans?

Posted by: Corvis777 | August 4, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

A recent debate with a Cowboys fan....

From the Pukes Fan:

hahahahahaha first off weve been waxing that arse without dez for i dont know the last 20 out of 23 games! second he will be there for the opener book it! third everyone on the sh!tskins is over the age of 40 so making it to halftime should be your concern! fourth didnt we embarass donovan doueche bag three times last year in a BETTER offense? id be real concerned about that oline they did nothing about AGAIN! FIFTH JERRY WILL LIVE FOREVER HES GOT THE MONEY! LOL

dont even let me start on the rbs, wrs, corners, undersized linebackers, and safeties this could get ugly! you gotta make it to the playoffs more than once a decade before you step in the ring with the champ!

From Gatorskins:

Sir Pauly,

if by Champs you mean 1996, we can go back there for your last Super Bowl. The Skins haven't put out a good product lately, we are going to turn it around, Dem Boys however, are just as well known for choking.

If your Boys are so good,... why do the skins have more playoff victories in the 2000's?

Dallas has 1 playoff win this past decade vs Philly. That's it. Skins have 2.....and we sucked. What does that say about Dem Boys??

After my response, he quit talking.

Love bringing them CowPuke fans back to reality

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 4, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corvis777 | August 4, 2010 3:10 PM

Yep...republicans have aholes too.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

U followin' me, Sul?

Posted by: DikShuttle
What's up dik

Posted by: suliman215 | August 4, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

PANIC

Posted by: trezmartin | August 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Yep...republicans have aholes too, called Democrats.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

Amen. A little bit of Mexican food brings out the liberal ahole!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So who is backing up Brown anyway, Mel Gibson?

Posted by: iubiquity | August 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So who is backing up Brown anyway, Mel Gibson?

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corvis777

Oh so your one of those a%@holes that's not getting laid! I love how politics always find a way into these things. I'm not a Republican or Democrat,just a die hard Skins fans tired of dooshes like you, crying like little girls ablout how the Skins are making all the wrong moves & are not going to imporve from last year!

Corvis,bringing Art Monk into the conversations doesn't make you sound respectable,you still just sound like a doosh trying to dissagree for the sake of disagreeing! HTTR!!!

AKA42 (11-6 if Favre retires)

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

You people make me sick to my stomach! THIS IS A SPORTS FORUM! YOU MFs TAKE YOUR GD POLITICAL SH!T SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Posted by: iubiquity | August 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corvis777

AKA42 (11-6 if Favre retires)

Posted by: adamaniba | August 4, 2010 3:22 PM

I think he was with you???

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I think he was with you???

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Obama touts himself as a White Sox fan and when asked who his favorite players were, he said he wouldn't want to pick just a few.

I think that's code for not knowing any of them.

No, I am not making a racial or political comment - I am sticking to sports.

Besides, Obama proclaims himself as being bi-racial.

Could have fooled me, did you see him throw that pitch opening night at Nationals Park?

He's totally white.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

He's totally white.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yep...republicans have aholes too.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 3:13 PM |

Yea, we call them corvis777.

Calling it here. I think bleep-bleep is perineum/skinshaveaGM sporting yet another screen name.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 4, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Yep...republicans have aholes too.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

didn't read all of the comments so not sure if anyone mentioned this already. Jammal Brown was aquirred afteroffseason workouts were done. Since Shanahan is testing Haynesworth's conditioning to make sure his is fit to practice and doesn't get hurt maybe he should have done the same for Brown who didn't sign his tender until right before we traded for him and he hadn't participated in Saints offseason workouts. Maybe Brown wouldn't already be having injuries if he was fit. Bet Brown wouldn't pass the test either.

Posted by: tmurray2181 | August 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

How is there an extra roster spot after releasing Brennan, cause we subsequently signed John Beck?

Posted by: iubiquity | August 4, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

80 + 1(Beck) - 2(Dutch, Brennan) = 79

WRT Heyer, concur, dude is lame, but in coach'es minds "he's got starting NFL experience" which counts for a lot, probably more than it should, particularly in Heyer's case.

What I'd love to hear about is the guy who makes Heyer expendable, Selvish Capers.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 4, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse