Master Impressionist Jason Campbell

We all know that Jason Campbell has added a lot to his game and is having a breakout season. But this week he took it to another level, going public with his Pete Kendall impersonation. Kendall, the gregarious starting guard with a gruff New England accent, would seem like a difficult target for Campbell, with his Mississippi twang, to take on but I've got to say JC pulled it off.

Campbell was mimicking the way Kendall talks in the huddle.

"J, you might want to think about changing that cadence," Campbell mumbled, sounding a little bit like a baritone Jerry Remy. "They're getting a jump on it on this side."

Campbell joked that he goes to sleep hearing Kendall's voice in his head - did I mention that the dude is a world-class talker? - but certainly relishes the intellect and instincts Kendall brings to the game. His presence filled a gaping hole in the line following the departure of Derrick Dockery in free agency in 2007, and has bought the franchise a little time to address the age of the offensive line.

Kendall's arthritic knees and age, 35, will give the Skins much to ponder as they mull whether to re-sign him when his contract expires after the season, and they could turn to the draft or free agency to fill the void (I'm not sure 2008-draft pick Chad Rinehart will be a slam dunk to assume a starting interior role next summer). If Kendall is willing to sign a one-year deal, though, he would certainly be worth having around as a swing guy who could play guard or center in a pinch.

And Campbell could continue to work on his impression.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 30, 2008; 8:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mason Joins Jets
Next: 'A' Game Needed for Pittsburgh's D

Comments

of course Rihehart will not be a slam dunk but I do believe he has a good chance of being a better than average starter next year.

Posted by: cosmiccatnip1 | October 30, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not sure 2008-draft pick Chad Rinehart will be a slam dunk to assume a starting interior role next summer"

how the f do you know you tubby dork

arent you the same d-bag that said Heyer was garbage last year

you suck jlc

Posted by: jonthefisherman | October 30, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"Well, let's see if we can post
A) once
2) within the same day that the Submit button is pressed
%) without bringing Firefox to its' knees"

I know, it's an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.

Posted by: daggar | October 30, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

JLC - You were blowing Rhinehart all summer during training camp. And now, all that has changed. Where did this new opinion come from - your fake NFL executive source??

You are a big fat tub of goo!! Please go back to b-more and play with your big toothed buddy jerry Coleman.

HTTR

Posted by: PASkinsFan2 | October 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Of course he is not a slam dunk but I would say he has a very good chance. All through training camp all you heard were good things about how he played, then in the preseason he stepped in an played tackle which is not his strong position so you can't really judge what he did there. JLC you just always looking for something bad to say.

Posted by: wstclair | October 30, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Love JC's impression of Kendall - you can almost imagine what it sounded like while reading about it - NOT!!!!

I can't believe JLC gets paid for this crap he blogs about.

Posted by: PASkinsFan2 | October 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm voting for CP on Tuesday.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | October 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Who tha F is Jerry Remy?

Posted by: Predator48 | October 30, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

the undrafted T was able to start under Buges..I'm sure he wasn't a slam dunk to make the TEAM.

Typical sourcer negativity..

Posted by: rdscnz | October 30, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

When is Joe Bugel's contract up? I'm more worried about re-signing him than Kendall at this point.

Posted by: executivesource | October 30, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

JLC=Undecided=Negative.
Vinny=b@!!$ in yo mouth=Larry Michael.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 30, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

executivesource,
I too am worried that Bugs will retire after this year, but I would not hold a grudge if he did, age, his daughter's death and all. If he does I would love us to go for an ex-hog to run the line.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: executivesource | October 30, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"(I'm not sure 2008-draft pick Chad Rinehart will be a slam dunk to assume a starting interior role next summer)."

JLC isn't say the guy is garbage or sucks or won't start or was a wasted draft pick. He is simply saying he is not a lock to be a starter, that's it. He isn't slamming the guy.

You guys read wayyy to much into what he says, let it go.

Posted by: joeblazin | October 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Huh? I'm confused, they drafted Rhinehart to eventually take the interior spot, now you say he may not be good enough to do it. Then in the next sentence you suggest that they use a draft pick or a free agent next year for the exact reason they drafted Rhinehart for.
Oh I get it. That way, next year you can then criticize Vinny for not addressing the need last year when he really did. Good God you don't make sense.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 30, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Jerry Remy is the announcer on the local station up here for the Sox.

I wish when making a statement like JLA did about Rhino, he'd back it up with something, like tell that Rhino is getting blown up in practice, or Rhino isn't "getting it", instead of just throwing it out there......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 30, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

joeblazin,
Finally someone who actually can read, with out their tin foil hat on. Thank you!

The Chad is probably going to be a starter in a few years, but remember how long we needed with Dockery? The dude was terrible his first few seasons and needed time to develop, what an @$$ going to the bills after 1 good year.

Chad will be a starter when the coach's think he is ready, someone here tell me they have proof he is ready? Anyone?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 30, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

when does one become as "regular" on the RI posts. I am wondering how long i have to stay in the minor leagues before i get called up.....

Posted by: cosmiccatnip1 | October 30, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

hey losers, get a life and get off JLC. Oh and this was probably the worst post in the history of Redskins Insider.

Posted by: rc2223 | October 30, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cosmiccatnip1

It starts with having a decent screen name, check out mine for instance.

Posted by: isnadd | October 30, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see the Skins use the draft over the next few seasons to continue to build their offensive and defensive lines. I love Stephon Heyer and Chad Rinehart and I think they'll be quality pros, but you can never have too many quality players on the front lines on both sides of the ball. Kendall strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't mind shifting to more of a supporting role if the Redskins are refreshing their talent base with some big, strong, young guys.

Posted by: manalive | October 30, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, everybody, what are you guys, Jason's Anti-Fan Club? I don't think I'd hate a guy this much if he friggin' mugged me in an alley.

He wasn't saying that Chad Rinehart is a crap player or that he's never going to be a starter. All he said, and quite moderately, was that it's far from certain that Rinehart will be ready to assume a starting role NEXT SEASON. The Redskins demand a lot from their linemen, and communication and chemistry are everything. It's a lot to ask a second-year guy to step in and assume full responsibility. Even if Rinehart was the second coming of Larry Allen, he STILL wouldn't be a lock to be ready for a full-time role next season.

Or did you guys think offensive linemen just lean up against each other and grunt each play? It's a complicated position. Jason's comment about Rinehart was the friggin' essence of rationality. There are a lot of posters on this blog who need to grow up.

Posted by: manalive | October 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: manalive | October 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: manalive | October 30, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think it depends on what the Skins do(playoffs or beyond) as to what Buges will do you know his wife as well as other immediate family is still grieving over their loss. As far as Rinehart is concerned he will have big shoes to fill if Kendall decides to retire Kendall has done stellar work this season along with Samuels on the left side and they both have given CP huge holes to run through.You guys are killing JLC good gracious is he that bad? wait don't answer that.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 30, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | October 30, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The problem is when JLC is REPORTING info, he is fine.

But, as soon as he start giving his OPINION he struggles mightily...because....HE REALLY DOESN'T KNOW FOOTBALL THAT WELL.

We all know this. His OPINIONS are 90% Wrong, 90% Negative and 100% Anti-Vinny/Gibbs.

Stick to reporting, JLC, because as soon as you chime in with an opinion you make an arse of yourself.

Posted by: filmchis | October 30, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse