Campbell draws praise, but no assurances, from Shanahan

No player, it seems, divides our Redskins Insider community more than quarterback Jason Campbell.

Based on your comments, some believe Campbell cannot fairly be evaluated because of Washington's overall lack of talent. Others have labeled Campbell as a first-round bust.

Regardless of the opinions of Campbell, he clearly has been through a lot since being drafted, what with the Redskins' numerous changes in coordinators, offensive philosophy and management's failure to adequately address the glaring problems along the offensive line the past two seasons.

Coach Mike Shanahan now runs the organization's and Shanahan said he still sees something positive in Campbell, who for the first time in his career could face a significant challenge to remain the team's starting quarterback. "We're going to have competition at every position," Shanahan reiterated Wednesday at the owners' annual meetings in Orlando.

The Redskins plan to have a quarterback competition throughout the offseason and into the preseason with whomever they have on the roster at the position. Shanahan is only getting to know Campbell as a player and person, but the five-year veteran clearly has ability, Shanahan said.

"No. 1, he has arm strength," Shanahan said. "He's got playing experience. He's been in a number of different systems, so he can adapt to different systems.

"I don't think you know until you actually work with someone for sure exactly how they're going to handle your system. But I think Jason has handled a lot of different systems in college and in pro. He's a big guy and an excellent athlete and he's worker."

Shanahan, however, has not given Campbell assurances about his standing.

"I don't think a quarterback [receives assurances] unless you prove it year in year out on the football field," Shanahan said. "This is a game of competition. Unless you go out there and prove yourself on a week-in-week-out basis, you're never really sure. You better not be sure. Just like coaches.

"This game is, this league is, game by game [and] season by season. You've got to go out there and perform, and that's what I think Jason does. He's going to do everything he possibly can to get himself ready for the season. He's there, studying and working, giving himself the best possibility to have a great year. And that's all you can ask a guy to do."

Tebow or no Tebow?

Would you like to see Tim Tebow in burgundy and gold? That's the question of the day in the Redskins Tailgate Zone.

By Jason Reid  |  March 25, 2010; 6:26 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Campbell , Jason Reid , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan on Tim Tebow: 'He's something that's very special'
Next: Mike Shanahan elaborates on what Redskins' defense will be

Comments

competition at every position is a good thing. Go getem JC

Posted by: last1 | March 25, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

NOBODY on this roster should be getting any assurances...the only one Shanahan should be doling out is that everyone is gonna have to work their asses off to stay on this roster.

Damn it feels good to have a legit NFL coach...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | March 25, 2010; 6:26 AM ET

Here's a finalist for "Understatement of the Year"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

brown,

Agreed, there isn't anybody on a 4-12 team, who should think there job is secure.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 25, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

I know it cuts against the grain of what we REALLY need here (O-line help), but I sure wouldn't be upset if Suh fell to us at #4 after reading this:

Regardless of position, this sounds like a great guy to build your defense around.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Damn it feels good to have a legit NFL coach...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

You're right, brownie, it does feel good to have confidence in a coach and GM. Wow, they seem calm and focused, and I can't really criticize any of the moves they have made so far.

I've been screaming about the need to get OT starter from our #4 selection. But I feel so good about these guys, that I'm OK with whomever they select there. We finally have a game plan that will make this team competitive.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 25, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that, fritz. From a need standpoint, I really want us to get Okung at #4, but I would still be pretty happy if we got Bradford or Suh in that spot. The only thing that would piss me off at #4 would be taking Claussen, and I seriously doubt Allen/Shanahan would reach that bad on him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I like what Shanahan is saying about competition at every position. I think that's how it should be every season for every player. The job isn't given to you; you have to earn it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Medical billing is the fast growing field. Find your local school to get a degree in medical billing in few months http://ow.ly/1ggKF

Posted by: martinlinda25 | March 25, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Looks like a good reason to click "report abuse", no?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Which is why Jason Campbell will dust those bums, along with anyone else they bring in with a wasted draft pick.

Open the competition and Jason Campbell will make them look like fools and physical dwarfs. Just like he did to Colt Brennan and Todd Collins and Chase Daniels. He's tall, smart, agile, and accurate. After last year, add tough as he11, and you can pretty much drop your shorts on a rookie's face.

Campbell deserves a decent line and running game, you ungrateful ignorants.

You'll be the first one to cheer when we sweep the division next year. Bet on it. You'll all be in line to blow JC17. Bet on it.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Campbell deserves a decent line and running game, you ungrateful ignorants.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:35 AM
------------------------------------------
You know, I am tired of arguing about JC with all of his loyal fan club. I really hope he does turn out to be the franchise QB he's been challenged to be, but label me skeptical. One thing we can probably agree on is that the competition will push him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

And if you don't like it, wait till what I say is true. Then you can raise your meek minds again.

Ever played football?

Then shut it. Don't know squat. Wait and see...

Or open your ignorant mouths and eat your nonsensical words later, while you celebrate.

Just so sick of the dumb morons who get to blow warm air for the offseason.

Campbell will expose you all for BSers.
So, go ahead, stake your handles on it.

You'll be signing in with new handles in a matter of months.

Go ahead. I know football. You don't. Make your stand. But stand by it when you're cheering our second victory over Dallas. Stand by it when your celebrating our second win over the Giants. Stand by your BS. Lets get Tim Tebow.

Are you insane?
Tebow couldn't beat Randle El out for QB of a pro team. El would SMOKE him. No doubt.

Line up your names now. And sign in with new handles next year.

BET.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow Thinker...just wow.

I'm what you would consider a JC supporter, but even I wouldn't go that far...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

BET.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Who's gonna beat him out?

Rex?

Colt?

Tebow?

Sonny?

Please.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Thinker, not saying you're wrong here dude, but perhaps a switch to decaf is in order. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I'll consider decaf.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

me THINKs someone already has their kneepads on.

I guess I'm pulling for Soup... But it's difficult to support a guy who's consistently disappointed.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 25, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Thinker, have you seen JC play in a real game? Not too impressive if you ask me. Also, if he doesn't beat out Rex Grosman then he shouldn't even be a backup anywhere.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 25, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

If we go with Rex, might as well change the name to the Washington Rebuilders.

Rex is a bum.

Is a bum. Is a bum.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I've seen him get slammed on his face on a three step drop AT HOME against the Eagles, on MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.

TWICE, ON TWO SEPARATE DRIVES!!!

THAT is a disgrace to the franchise.
NO QB has to deal with that. None. Rypien would have fumbled both of them. You'll see. He'll get beat out, right? Ok. I'll be watching next year. He'll get beat out.

My toooooookus. (decaf)

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Dik, I don't get how anyone DOESN'T pull for JC...he's a likeable guy and isn't a d-bag like Cutler or Claussen. Doesn't throw a bad deep ball when he's given time to do so. I totally understand being frustrated that the guy isn't playing better, but what I can't wrap my head around is how somebody can actually HATE the guy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, so it's not just stroking Soup, but crapping on other QBs.

Grossman went a hell of alot further in this league than JC, so what the SJK are you basing this on?

Oh, & since you're so gung-ho here, what exactly are you going to do if Soup bites the big one this season?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 25, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Am going to vote with my wallet.

So long as JC17 is the QB for the Redskins, I will not attend another Redskin game. The Dude is a consumate loser, and you could put him behind a line as big and strong as Mount Rushmore, and he would still find a way to fail.

Granted, am sure that JC17 and the Redskins will get along just fine without the thousand or two that I usually invest for premium seats for selected games... especially since the waiting list is allegedly years long. I guess all those empty seats last season were just an aberration.

But I don't need to pay good money to watch bad football, year after year...

Posted by: Vic1 | March 25, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Boy Vic, you sure picked the absolute wrong time to make that stand...you DO know that Zorn is gone, right?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Brownie, that crying game he was playing last offseason was pretty difficult to watch. His sense of entitlement was pretty bad. I do agree that he sucked it up all season, tho. Props there.

Also, if you're of a mind that JC is just as responsible for the last two seasons as anyone else, that would mean you'd like him off the ship along w/ Zorn. I can't say I'd have minded.

I do think it will be good to see how the competition goes. But if I have to watch that slow-mo windup cost us games again... I'll be pretty angry at the lesson-not-learned, won't you?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 25, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

brown, bringing the truth first thing in the AM. Kinda coming around on DonkeyKong myself. Not sure he can man the nose, in a 3-4, but that cats a player, no doubt. While OL is ABSOLUTELY imperative, if Okung, is gone, and there is no chance of a trade back, and Suh is staring you in the face, I think you have to take him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

"Shanahan...said that he doesn't expect to name a starting quarterback before training camp,...."

Last spring we posted that the maturation of Jason Campbell was the most important issue for the team.

Shanahan's comments suggest that it no longer is.

There's enough game tape on Campbell to reveal to any interested parties what he can and cannot do.

And if what he can do isn't compelling enough to have him labeled starter, then it makes youi wonder why you even keep him around when he might have value in the eyes of another team.

Trade Campbell on draft day, get what you can for him, and move on.

Jason Campbell will never be another Doug Williams--that's a fantasy that final.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Yep. I know it, of course. But JC17 remains... and for so long as he stays, I'll be keeping my wallet tucked in.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 25, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope if JC is the starter that Shanny will put him in the best position to make plays, I trust Shanny will do that and it'll be up to JC to make plays.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 25, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 25, 2010 8:07 AM

Well, I wouldn't say the "slow-mo windup cost us games"...it obviously is a weakness of his that will probably keep him out of the elite QB class but I wouldn't call it a reason we lost last year.

At any rate, JC is a guy with limitations that can still help you win if you give him solid coaching and a really good supporting cast. Viewing him any other way only sets yourself up for disappointment. I doubt he sticks around long enough to prove how good he can REALLY be but I still believe he can be a good starting QB in this league if given the chance to run the same offense for longer than a year or two.

That said, I think Shanahan will put him in a position to succeed and he'll respond with a year not too far off of last year's numbers: about a 90 QB rating and 20 TDs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is probably a serviceable quarterback behind a decent line. Behind the patchwork mess of a line behind which he's played for the past two seasons (at least), he's a quarterback who will make some mistakes. Any quarterback would. Peyton Manning, playing behind this line, would take about 15 sacks a game, 'cause he would just fall down knowing he was about to get crushed.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | March 25, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

For those who want to dump JC, who do you propose becomes the starting QB, and how does that person fare with this line? To me, drafting a qb, is right up there with drafting a rb at this point. To think that either will help the team seems foolish, and short-sighted at best.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

"The truth is probably somewhere in the middle: Campbell isn't the second coming, and he isn't the worst quarterback to ever grace the Earth."

And how can any team go in this league with just a servicable quarterback?

You need a guy who can succeed the days the line play isn't good, and is better when it is.

You need a guy who can take victory away in the 3rd and 4th quarter--and Campbell hasn't.

And that final knock on Campbell is apart of what Shanahan must see in Tebow, despite the kid's flaws: that he is a charismatic leader who might be re-tooled and groomed into an exceptional NFL quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:09 AM

No doubt, Greg. I'd make that pick 10 times outta 10 if Okung is gone.

But I think he's projected to be a DE in a 3-4, Mayock says he's a great fit there.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

SHOULD Campbell be the QB this fall? Of course. He was drafted in the first round, groomed by Gibbs and Zorn, two guys who's rep was developing QBs, and is at the age where it should all be coming together for him. We've expended a ton of treasure and development and patience on the guy.

WILL he be the QB this fall? I don't think so. He seems to have plateau'd at adequate game manager, which is great if you put all the pieces around him, have great game plans, and don't need to rely on him to actually carry the offense too often. But we don't have the '91 Skins any more.

Posted by: jahtez | March 25, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I can see a few times where missed opportunites by Soup killed drives and thereby cost games. But I understand that happens and there are plenty of other causes, too.

I believe the most eggregious errors were Zorn et al's.

So I'll remain 'cautiously pessimistic' and wait for Thinker_'s throwgasm to be validated... lol.

Thinker - what's the deal? What are you going to do if you're wrong? What's the 'BET'?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 25, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Moe, see JC's stats improve every year, and see his start to the 2008 season. Don't both those instances show that JC is that guy you're asking for?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"For those who want to dump JC, who do you propose becomes the starting QB, and how does that person fare with this line?"

For the sake of an argument, no one can readily argument that there's that much of a drop off should Rex Grossman start.

Grossman comes in knowing the offense.

They didn't bring him in here just to watch.

He wasn't going to beat out M Schaub in Houston, but he must look at Campbell and think he can outplay him if he has the chance.

That's why he signed here instead of waiting out his options.

Grossman and Campbell are both unsatisfying.

But if there's value to be had for Campbell, how do you lose by capitalizing on it on draft day?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I just don't get how a fanbase that suffered thru the Heath Shuler debacle can be so hard on Jason Campbell. Shuler (picked in the top 5) was AWFUL on a team that had Norv Turner as coach and was just a few years removed from a Super Bowl. JC (picked #25) has been no worse than mediocre for a team that hasn't had a viable offense since Norv left. I just can't believe this subject is so emotionally charged with us...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

"...see JC's stats improve every year, and see his start to the 2008 season. Don't both those instances show that JC is that guy you're asking for?"

Yes his stats have improved, but there's that funny thing called 'win-loss' and 'bottom of the NFC East' that countermands any claims that he's improved.

He's getting better, but the team doesn't win: that's not a recipe for keeping a guy around.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

moe, ok, so you're proposing Grossman.

Now, after he gets POUNDED into dust, in the first 3 games, and is out with an injury, who is the qb?

Call stuff what it is, but JC took a BRUTAL beating last year, I'm pretty confident that Grossman wouldn't handle that.

Trading JC, is just this side of trading one of the TE's out of Davis/Cooley, in its illogicalism.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I guess all I'm saying is that with the myriad of needs on the OL/DL that this team has, and the lack of professional coaching that has gone on with this team the past 2 years, trading JC, and drafting a qb, just seems foolish.

Let Shanny work with this cat, and then we can come to a conclusion.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell - He's not as bad as Heath Shuler was - ain't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Posted by: jahtez | March 25, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

This is why I see the Lions grabbing Suh at #2.

I keep wondering why some folks up here are betting the house that the Lions grab Okung. The Lions have a left tackle that they like and the bigger need is on defense and Suh is NFL-ready.

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:31 AM

Again...if we're throwing JC out for putting up career numbers in a 4-12 season, then we need to starting drumming up some trade interest in Orakpo since we won 4 fewer games with him than we did in '08. And we'll need to get Fletcher outta here since, you know, he only made the Pro-Bowl in a 4-12 season.

Let's get real people...throwing the baby out with the bath water is never a good idea. If there's someone on the roster better than JC, then fine. Until then, let's roll with 17.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

If Okung is gone and Suh is there then we take him if we can't trade back. He will fit right in at LDE. The guy can stuff the run and collapse the pocket. This allows us to have a replacement for Phil Daniels and move Jarmon to OLB.

RDE-Big Al
NT-What's left of Maak'e achilles tendon
LDE-Suh

OLB-Rak
ILB-Fletch
ILB-Rocky
OLB-Jarmon

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 25, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"Let Shanny work with this cat, and then we can come to a conclusion."

See the earlier post.

I don't think Shanahan sees any value in working with Campbell for the long term.

That's why I say, "Move him."

Wouldn't it follow that Shanahan has seen tons o' game tape on Campbell that would make him the starter and signed to a new deal?

None of that has happened, meaning, to me, that Shanahan wants his own kid to train up.

It's not that I don't have faith in Campbell, it's just that Shanahan doesn't seem to.

If he did, he'd name Campbell the starter straight up in the same way he endorses Clinton Portis as his starting running back.

But he hasn't. that's why I say move him while you can get something for him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If he were a baby, that would be one thing. But waiting for a late bloomer can be damning.

JC has had more than enough chances to overcome his problems and shown little ability to do so. If there's a better option available, we are justified to take it.

I believe the current valid argument, however, is that there isn't anything markedly better out there right now.

I sympathize with the H8rs. But what else ya got?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 25, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:43 AM

Um, no.

And I'll let Shanahan himself answer why:

"I don't think you know until you actually work with someone for sure exactly how they're going to handle your system. But I think Jason has handled a lot of different systems in college and in pro. He's a big guy and an excellent athlete and he's a worker."

He's got a one year tryout. Let's see how it goes.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

"Here we go...more of the whole "let's attribute TEAM w/l record to ONE player" crap."

You are absolutely right.

I mean, the NE Pats did play much better the year T Brady got hurt.

Dan Marino retired and the dolphins' prolific offense didn't miss a beat.

So I guess it would follow that if the starting quarterback of a 4-12, back to back last place finishes was set packing, it would maintain the same level of success with him gone.

Wouldn't it?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

me THINKs someone already has their kneepads on.

Posted by: DikShuttle |

It's difficult to support a TEAM that's constantly disappointed. JC is just another snake on the Medusa head that has been the Skins for the last decade.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 25, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"He's got a one year tryout. Let's see how it goes."

Sorry, brownie.

I'm too much like Jay-Z.

'Cuz when it comes to players in the NFL, if one doesn't satisfy, "I'm on to the next one...".

Campbell has had his chance--despite the truth about the coaching, line play, et al.

Let's move on, and let's get the next one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 8:09 AM
-------------------------------------------
I am mixed on that, Bean. If Suh is still there when Washington picks, there will be a few teams in line for trading up to get the pick. It would be a great opportunity to pick up multiple picks and Suh isn't exactly a perfect fit in the 3-4. I agree he is a player, but if they could get potential offensive tackles in picks they pickup for Suh, then I would go with the offensive tackles...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I mean, the NE Pats did play much better the year T Brady got hurt.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:51 AM

Didn't play much worse, either...there's really nowhere to go but down from 16-0, after all.

The backup went 11-5 and had back-to-back 400 yard outings that year. Parlayed that into a big contract with the Chiefs the next year. Where he promptly fell off the face of the earth.

Just further evidence that W/L record is a TEAM stat. Cassell didn't roll out of bed an 11-5 QB and fall back asleep a 4-12 QB. One would have to assume the team around him changed and so did his performance.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Moe - JC seemed to be satisfying the first half of 2008 when our line was holding up, Portis was running hard, and nobody had figured out Zorn yet. 6-2, no picks, tough road wins. Then the Steelers came to town and destroyed us for the next year and a half.

I'm in favor of competition. I think JC would win any competition vs Gross, Colt, and any rookie QB we might sign. And I wouldn't want to trade JC unless we get a starter (player or 2nd round pick) in return. It's just not worth it to trade a servicable player at any position, unless he's a head case, for a 4th round pick that odds are is a backup player.

I'd just like to see what JC can do with a real coach and real talent in front of him. Cause, let's face it... he hasn't had that in the last 2 years.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 25, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I say stick with Campbell, draft the best offensive lineman and see what he can do, someone please help me here, how and why did Philip Daniels make the starting lineup again when he did nothing last year, are you telling me we have nothing else to put at that position ???if we go 3-4 then all we are going to have basically is 2 rushing the QB, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY HE IS STILL ON THE TEAM, LEADERSHIP ?? WE WERE 4-12, MUST NOT BE TO GOOD OF A LEADER.

Posted by: jasco1 | March 25, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Campbell v. Grossman

Interestingly enough, I think Campbell and Gross are very similar QBs. Neither have the overall talent/skill to carry a team. They both need all the pieces around them working perfectly to be successful. Neither have a great ability to read defenses. Both have a good arm strength.

The big difference is that when they get flustered, Campbell has a propensity to look for a safe checkdown, where Grossman has a propensity to force a throw into coverage.

I find it interesting that last year many folks were begging for Campbell to take more risks with his throws even if it meant more turnovers.

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"We're going to have competition at every position." How about that BIG AL, CP? Ready for the shake out......err......shake down cruise?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 25, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

My point is that even with a team sport, one guy CAN make a difference, your evidence regarding the M Cassel year in NE notwithstanding.

The singular damning--and true-- comment about Jason Campbell is that he is not a guy whose shown himself able to rise/play above the medicrity surrounding him.

His numbers are what they are because he's a quick-slant, checkdown, smoke screen passer.

That's a high completion percentage, kinda like an NBA player who dunks and brags that he has a high shot average.

I want a guy who throws and completes bombs on the regular.

And I beat Shanahan does, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

RE: If Okung is gone by pick #4.

Someone brought up a point the other day. On the trade value chart we should be entitled to at least a 1st round swap and a second round pick. The point was that we could lower the asking price to a third rounder and a first round swap. On paper we are getting ripped off. We are trading 1800 points for ~1600. In reality we are still getting a similar LT propsect and picking up a third rounder. A team like the Raiders that have a third round pick may be willing to give it up for the best player in the draft, Suh.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 25, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

moe, brady got hurt, and they STILL went 11-5, so that somewhat invalidates your argument, not to mention that they then spun Cassell for a 2nd round pick...and not to mention that he(Brady) might just be the GOAT as far as qb's are concerned.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes. If Suh is there at #4 and teams want him, then we trade down. No question.

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Ever played football?

Then shut it. Don't know squat. Wait and see...

Just so sick of the dumb morons who get to blow warm air for the offseason.

Campbell will expose you all for BSers.
So, go ahead, stake your handles on it.

You'll be signing in with new handles in a matter of months.

Are you insane?

Line up your names now. And sign in with new handles next year.

BET.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:42 AM
------------------------------------------
Why don't you pull your arrogant head out of your azz and look around. There are a zillion posters on this blog that will say they know football, too and now you are going to come down all high and mighty and say you know more than any of them? Gee. Pretty high opinion of yourself, ace. Look, I hope Campbell does well, but aren't you going to feel pretty stupid with your guarantees if Shanny and Allen trade his butt away before the first preseason game? BTW, Campbell has been in the league for a few years and hasn't exatcly led the team team to the Super Bowl, so even if he does have all of the physical gifts you expound upon, is he leader enough to take the team to the next level? I don't think you can know that unless you have been in the huddle with the guy. Two of the guys who have - Cooley and Portis - seem to think JC just doesn't have the cojones for the job. Again, label me skeptical... excep twhen it comes to calling out a dumbazz poster like you...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I presume the key words were...for the sake of argument. Because you know you can't judge one player by the W/L of the team.

JC is the best QB we have right now. Put a better team around him, and see what he can do. I'm not saying he is the proverbial "franchise QB", but we can win with him if the other 52 get better, and we have a winning scheme for the team to operate in.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 25, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

The Lions seem confident they will find a trade partner with which to trade down from the number 2 pick. Word is that Cleveland or some other team will want to leap over Washington so they can draft Clausen. (Clausen keeps getting compared to Sanchez.) Tampa Bay will take a DT, so the Skins would then have a choice between Okung and either Suh or McCoy.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"The Dude is a consumate loser, and you could put him behind a line as big and strong as Mount Rushmore, and he would still find a way to fail. "

I would love if we could test that theory out but until then all we can conclusively say is that JC is mediocre behind a bad offensive line. Anything else is speculation.

And to those calling for Rex Grossman to begin his era here please remember that he is only signed for 1 year so how big a threat can he be to JC unless Jason COMPLETELY flops this year. if thats the caes both will be gone in a year anyway.

Not-so-sexy-Rexy was brought in to help teach Kyle's system to Jason, Colt and whoever else they draft, and not to run the show

Posted by: Predator48 | March 25, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

But he hasn't. that's why I say move him while you can get something for him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's allow Shanny training camp to "kick the tires" before we reach that conclusion.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 25, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I think the example validates Moe's point.

Cassell stepped in and played GREAT. He was clearly the engine for that offense and had several 300 yard games. The Pats continued to win BECAUSE of Cassel.

The conclusion that you draw is that the Pats were fortunate to have a top-notch starting-caliber backup on their roster who took the reins and continued to lead the team.

There's no question that QB is the most important position on an offense. When you look at the Skins and their offensive failures over the years, OF COURSE the Qb comes under scrutiny.

I don't hear anyone ONLY blaming JC17 around here. I'm certainly not. I just don't understand why it seems like people want to give him a pass and blame everyone else on the team, and turn him into some kind of victim of circumstances.

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

With BRADFORD, OKUNG, and McCOY gone, we take SUH if no one trades up. We trade him after.......if we can. We delay the 4-3 conversion for two years if we can't.

Or we take a lesser OT #4 like BRUCE CAMPBELL and overpay him.

Meanwhile we continue to struggle with improving the offense.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 25, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I want a guy who throws and completes bombs on the regular.

And I beat Shanahan does, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 25, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

So we need to roll over to work Clausen out and start talking contract with him to make the Browns think we want him. If Detroit moves out of #2 that almost guarentees us Okung. The Rams just took Smith. It seems like the Bucs like Donald Penn. They gave him the highest tender and he played pretty well and he's only 26. I think they wait on left tackle and see how Penn does this year. Their Dline was atrocious. I don't see how they pass on McCoy/Suh.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 25, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Campbell doesn't appear to be a competitive person. It seems to go against his nature. Roethlisberger, Rivers, Romo, Cutler, etc... those guys compete. Campbell just seems to be out there pocketing a paycheck. Hopefully, having to compete will raise his game but I doubt it. The Skins won't be a competitive team without a competitive QB.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 25, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 9:04 AM

I hate to use religious undertones here, but it's the best analogy I can think of:

JC is like purgatory. He ain't heaven, but he ain't hell either. And most people assume purgatory is bad because it simply isn't heaven.

He's not an elite QB but he's not AWFUL either. He's middle of the road. So it's easy to think that's a void on the roster but in reality, it's not a position that needs addressing right away.

So even the most enthusiastic JC supporter (Thinker aside, of course) knows he's likely not the long term answer here. All we should expect from him is to hold the position for a year or two and pass the baton to whatever rookie we take in the '10 or '11 draft.

Considering the crap he's put up with here, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasco1 | March 25, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Phillip Daniels played most of last season basically with one arm. He still was able to contribute instead of asking to be put on the IR. Daniels is a beast and the ideal DE in a 3-4 system.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | March 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I don't hear anyone ONLY blaming JC17 around here

p1, is this serious? I mean, you're on here on a regular basis, were you being serious, or were you trying to be funny??

Have you read some of vicc's posts??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Besides Campbell's relatives I don't know why anyone would think he did a good job.. 6-18 his last 24 games and people want to live though that again??? Campbell has been a DISASTER!!! He rates with Shuler as the worst QB the Skins have ever drafted.. and Shuler at least had the decency to leave quickly. Campbell needs to go... Redskins need a NEW QB!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

It cracks me up that all this hype over the new coaching staff and GM has people believing a new age has been turned. Wait until after the draft. Wait until the mini-camps are over. Wait until we can see the product on the field during training camp and preseason before making up your minds that a different mindset has been put in place. Nobody has annointed Allen as the next Bill Polian or Shanahan as the next Bill Belichek. Both have had some success but also some failure or else they wouldn't have been unemployed when the Skins hired them.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | March 25, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

If Okung is gone and either Suh or McCoy is left, we should be able to find a trade partner. There are several teams that desperately need help at NT. (Oakland, San Diego and New Orleans come to mind unless I missed an off season move...)

There's also a whole freakin bunch of teams where OT is a high draft priority, so if our only potential trade partner drops us too far back, it wouldn't break my heart if we just took Bulaga at #4 and bit the bullet. Too much upside in the long run for getting that position nailed down for ten years...

Would not be surprised to see 5 OT's go off the board in the first round. Gotta figure Detroit (either first or second round), KC, Seatle, Oakland, San Fran, Dallas and maybe Indy are hot for an a shiny new OT besides US.

Also, short of being traded, the starting job is Jason's too WIN in a competition. That's the way it should be. If he's as good as many think, then that will bear out. I say "let it begin."

Also - also, there's a half dozen teams that are very motivated to fill a hole at DE to help their pass rush, so I gotta figure Carter has some decent trade value given his performance last year...

Just a thought.

Posted by: edvar | March 25, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | March 25, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Campbell doesn't appear to be a competitive person

Right, because last year, in a futile offense, behind a futile line, and with a futile coach, you saw him get pounded into dust, and he was throwing in the towel every chance he got....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:11 AM

I do.

When you hear guys saying "who cares if he put up career numbers, we were 4-12", that says that no matter what he does we lose. That's short-sighted at best. If you put his same production on the Panthers last year, they have a playoff team.

So nobody is saying JC doesn't deserve his share of the blame. I just don't get why some here can in one breath say that Stephon Heyer should still start at RT and remain on this roster can then say that Jason Campbell should be traded or let go. That defies all logic.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't hear anyone ONLY blaming JC17 around here

Have you read some of vicc's posts??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I know the vitriol against JC17 can reach an irrational fever-pitch with some of his detractors.

But my point is this:

I don't think the most ardent JC17-haters would step back and say "If we can only replace Campbell, then we'll be a legit competitor".

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman
_____
If Cleveland is willing to trade down for Clausen.. (after Holmgren came out and said he isn't interested in Clausen).. maybe that's a hint and a half that Clausen is really pretty good. And if the Skins get a chance to draft him they should think about doing it...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Real logic. Totally agree.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | March 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:25 AM

Hey, why not take Joe Haden there too while we're at it? I mean, while we're reaching for players we don't need...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Can’t believe we are doing this again……

Can’t believe I’m about to say this either: I’ll just cosign everything Greg and brownwood have said thus far today…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

So if this is "Lost", and the Skins are the island, JC17 is like Ben Linus?

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

atta boy dl...nicely done...come on over to logic...its whats for dinner...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Neither Suh nor McCoy are NTs. They'd be DTs in a 4-3 or DEs in a 3-4. Either might even play DE in a 4-3. Like Reggie White.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"Name 1 QB that completes deep passes on the regular when they're given 2 seconds to throw the ball."

Both A Rodgers, green bay, and Ben R, pittsburgh, have performed well behind poor line play.

In fact, one guy one a Super Bowl behind what most folks thought was a bad line.

And that's the thing: today's quarterback will get hit.

But he must also make plays.

Campbell does get hit.

But you can't say he has made game winning plays.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 25, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I just can't get over that crap you just posted, Sovine...I'd rather have Tebow than Claussen, and that's saying something.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

As much as I don't believe that JC17 will be a Superbowl winner in this league and is in no way a long-term solution, part of me really really hopes that we can totally fix the Oline and give JC17 the start this year so that we can see once and for all - with no caveats and no excuses - what we have.

My guess is that we'll continue to see him throw inaccurate deep balls, miss open receivers and throw alot of checkdowns.

Either way, it would be nice to just have closure on this annoying topic.

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Ever played football?
Then shut it. Don't know squat. Wait and see...
Just so sick of the dumb morons who get to blow warm air for the offseason.
Campbell will expose you all for BSers.
So, go ahead, stake your handles on it.
You'll be signing in with new handles in a matter of months.
Are you insane?
Line up your names now. And sign in with new handles next year.
BET.
Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:42 AM

Looks like Truth11 is out of juvy and got hooked on roids while he was “away”…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Cassel didn't look so great last year without the Patriots team surrounding him. Campbell is never going to be an elite top 3 QB but he really hasn't been given a fair shake to prove he can succeed if you surround him with an adequate line and more than Moss/Cooley to throw to. He has this offseason to prove himself to Shanahan as a capable starter. If he wins the job and tanks he will be gone. If he plays well we have our QB. The debating back and forth on this guy is never ending.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | March 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I saw Grossman working out yesterday on Redskins Nation and in my opinion he looked a bit chubby and out of shape.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Bad example Moe...in both cases, Ben and ARod hold on to the ball way too long and are as much to blame for the sacks they get as the O-line. Those O-lines were mediocre, but they weren't nearly as bad as the one we sent out on the field last year.

So if you wanna make the case that JC doesn't extend plays and turn a negative into a positive as much as those guys do, then I'll buy that. But I just don't agree with holding a guy accountable for not turning water into wine.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't see anyone trading up to grab a DT. At the money a high pick would cost, only a QB you believed in would be worth the big bucks plus extra picks. If the Lions trade out of #2 so someone can take Clausen then the Skins will not be trading down.

Bank it!
(Copywrite, 2010.)

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:42 AM

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

That's one theory.

I just figured it was JC17's mom up here posting...

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

JC17 does not lose games for us.

He gives us a better chance to win.

Hang in there Campbell...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 25, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 25, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Sounds good in theory, but in practice, not so good. If you're an NFL head coach and you don't know who your starter is going to be at any position going into training camp, that would indicate that you don't have any established players, and that you're looking at a looooong season. Having said that, though, I would agree that on a 4-12 team, no one's job should be safe.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 25, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Totally agree with you!

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone take notice how many times over the last couple years, we have the ball with 2 or 3 min left in the 4th quarter and need to score more than a touchdown to win? Campbell got alot of his high completion percentage numbers playing against prevent defenses that allowed underneath stuff. Alot of times that's the only time we moved the ball at all. I think Soup is the kinda guy you want as your neighbor but so far he hasn't proved he can get it done on the field unless the D-line is only rushing 3 and the DB's are playing center field. If it's all the line's fault or Zorn or Snyder or the girl that works in the souvenir booth, it will come out in the wash on the field. That being said, I do NOT want Clausen. He has Cutler written all over him.

Posted by: westjr88 | March 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
___
No we think the Skins should get rid of Heyer too... The point is the QB is the team leader.. it's starts with him. Nobody ever won or lost a Super Bowl because of the RT. Look I just tired of hearing people say Campbell isn't awful, he's in the middle so let's just keep him another year. We kept him 5 years already.. the last QB to start as many games was Rypien and that was almost 20 years ago... Bottomline if a QB cannot reach the next level he has to go.. and Campbell has had more time than most to reach that level. You can live with a average player in almost any other position but at QB it's a killer.. and yes a handful of times like the Ravens in 2000 did it.. but it's so hard to win that way. here's the thing the Saints could of said hey lets stick with Aaron Brooks.. he's not awful.. but they didn't they got Brees and they won a Super Bowl!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

JC17 does not lose games for us.

He gives us a better chance to win.

Hang in there Campbell...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 25, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

JC17 does not win games for us.

And therein lies the rub.

What do you do with a QB that won't single-handedly lose a game for you, but also cannot step up and carry a team to victory?

You either construct a perfect team around him - you give him a #1 attacking/scoring defense, and a 2000 yard rusher to carry the offensive load, and a return man that gives you optimum field position, and a wicked accurate FG kicker, a-la 2000 Ravens.

Or you make him a back-up and roll the dice with someone new.

I'll take door #2.

Posted by: p1funk | March 25, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Totally agree with you!
Posted by: Lisa_R
_____
I guess that's why you guys aren't GM's for any teams in the NFL.. And yeah I'm not one either but wanna bet Clausen is picked BEFORE Tebow...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I always think it's funny when people compare Ben R to JC17.

One organization has had exactly 4 coaches since 1966 and the other has 6 coaches this decade alone. Stability vs disarray.

Last year, the Steelers have a defense that scored 2 TDs in beating the Vikings 27-17, a team that played in thethe NFC championship and has a future HOF RB and QB.

When's the last time the Skins defense scored TDs to win a game against anyone?

It would be real interesting to see how Ben R would have fared on an unstable Skins squad, if he and JC17 could switch places.

Must be nice to throw as many INTs as Ben R and know your defense can still win the game for you.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 25, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer
_____
Really that's what Whiesnhunt did in Arizona a couple of year ago.. he didn't pick a starter between Leinart and Warner before camp.. Warner won it on performance and took the Cards for the first time to the Super Bowl.. How did that work out in practice???

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

... Look I just tired of hearing people say Campbell isn't awful, he's in the middle so let's just keep him another year. We kept him 5 years already.. the last QB to start as many games was Rypien and that was almost 20 years ago... Bottomline if a QB cannot reach the next level he has to go...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Interesting comparison. Rypien was a middle of the road QB, too. But he won because he was surrounded with superior talent. Doug Williams wasn't even middle of the road when he was with Washington.

Campbell won at Auburn because he was surrounded with superior talent.

I don't think he will ever be a great QB but he is not the biggest problem on this team and there is no reason to get rid of him when there are so many more needs to be addressed.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 25, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Would anyone like to see us draft Toby Gerhart? He reminds me of Riggins.....minus the high alcohol tolerance.

Posted by: westjr88 | March 25, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
____
We don't need a QB??? Weren't you the one who said Campbell isn't a long term answer.. and I assume you agree Rex isn't either. Now maybe Colt can have an unbelieveable minicamp but my guess is Shanahan will still be looking for his franchise QB come the draft. Now is Clausen that guy.. i don't know but a lot of people have him rated the 2nd best QB in the draft.. some rate him the highest. My point was IF that poster was right and Holmgren thinks enough of him to trade down.. maybe he is better than we think...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

...and how does he lead the nation on rushing, finish 2nd in the Heisman and still isn't in the top 5 backs listed, coming out?

Posted by: westjr88 | March 25, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | March 25, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Hiccup

Posted by: westjr88 | March 25, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Nobody ever won or lost a Super Bowl because of the RT...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:45 AM

Yeah, and nobody's ever won a SB with a great QB and 10 slappies. Football is a TEAM sport. QB is important, but if the Ravens can win with Trent f-ing Dilfer, it's not impossible to think the Redskins could win with JC.

And stop using SB viability as a reference point...this team is rebuilding. We're talking about who should be playing QB for 2010. The Redskins aren't going to the SB in 2010 unless they're paying customers.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Campbell won at Auburn because he was surrounded with superior talent.
Posted by: Original_etrod
_____
Rypien may have been an average QB over his career but he had a great season the year he won the Super Bowl.. Williams that was just a crazy year.. replacement team won 4 games, Timmy Smith went wild in Super Bowl. in fact Williams lost the only 2 reg season games he started but had a great Super Bowl.. My point is yes it can be done.. again the ravens with Dilfer.. but it so rare. Great teams with great QB's repeat.. Steelers with bradshaw, Niners with Montana, Cowboys with Aikman, Pats with Brady.. we need to improve the OL AND THE QB!!! Campbell had his shot with Gibbs same as Rypien.. Funny Brunell and Collins got the Skins into the playoffs but Campbell either didn't or wouldn't have..

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

It's funny reading some of these comments.

There seems to be a contingent of fans that believe QBs play in a vacuum. To them, it makes no difference what the supporting cast is like or how well Campbell played in relation to the rest of his teammates; to them all that matters is the W-L record, and that's all you can judge a QB by.

Another set of fans believe QBs cannot be judged until their placed under satisfactory conditions. Campbell played behind arguably the worst line in the league, under arguably the worst HC in the league, under certainly the most dysfunctional offensive contingent of coaches in the league, under an offensive system that has been widely and publicly criticized and ridiculed for its unimaginative scheme (including by Shanahan himself), with significant injuries to nearly his entire cast of quality teammates (aside from Moss and Davis), and had to deal with the maturation of his young teammates in an accelerated process. Until he gets even an average supporting cast underneath him, he cannot be judged.

Me, I'd rather take a little bit of both to form my opinion.

The reason Mike Shanahan isn't committing to Campbell as his starting QB at the moment is BECAUSE of the first contingent's argument. Of course you can't automatically hand the reigns for a QB that has not played in your system, and has not show that he's a consistent winner in previous systems. That's sensible.

But the reason Mike Shanahan has not traded Campbell away (under the assumption that Campbell is not part of this team's future, as some argue) is BECAUSE of the second contingent's argument. Campbell has not played under satisfactory conditions. He did play under one of the worst lines in the league. He did play under the worst head coach in the league. He did play under the most dysfunctional contingent of coaches in the NFL. His highly paid supporting cast was largely injured. He did play under the most predictable system in the NFL, as designed by the coaches. And despite all that, Campbell still put up numbers on par or better than a number of quality starting QBs in this league.

So - as Shanahan says - he's impressed by Campbell, but unsure as to whether he can be the winning QB he wants in his system. Hence Campbell on the roster, and hence the QB competition.

And watch, even as the mind-numbingly painful complainers continue to wage war against Campbell, he will still be the starting QB in September of 2010.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Ive been a Campbell supporter since we drafted him but ever since the last two to three years i have lost faith N him as our QB.. Itz juss one thing i wish Campbell do that I believe he has never done in a Redskin uniform is when there is 2mins or less and we are down by a td or less bring the team he has NO WILL TO WIN!!!

Posted by: PardenMiSwage | March 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

(after a cup of decap... I mean decaf)

Campbell is our best option.
If Shanny hasnt lost his mind he knows this.

Aside from our O Line last year, there were actually a couple games when the D failed miserably. As in: "As long as they don't go 95 yards for a TD, We Win"

And that's Campbell's fault?

Let the guy make plays. You'll see. Like I said, we'll be 8-8 just by NOT being idiotic at the HC position.

With half a line, JC will make the doubters sit down. Rex Grossman is a bum. A perennial bum. A dastardly, uncompromising Bum.

Period.

JC 17.

And I'm not saying he's perfect, but Jimminy Christmas. Did you all not see what an oaf like Mark Rypien was with a great line?

see: Tom Brady.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Soup isn't the answer. But who cares? It's not like the Redskins are headed to the Super Bowl in 2010. The Redskins are going to use this offseason to start rebuilding their offensive line through the draft. They really do not have a choice.

Posted by: Pepper5 | March 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I have this strange, I don't know, Deja Vu feeling about this...weren't the same posts made on February 7....and February 10th....and February 20...March 10....March 13....

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
____
Yeah improve EVERYONE but I INCLUDE QB... BTW what happened to Dilfer after the Super Bowl?? The Ravens traded him.. why?? Because they knew their chances to repeat would improve with a BETTER QB!!!

Posted by: brownwood26
____
Correct we are rebuilding.. so why waste time with Campbell? Draft a QB..let Colt start.. let this be the learning year for our QB of the future... What do we gain watching Campbell lose again???

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

New Orleans game.

4th Qtr touchdown to win.

They're still crying the same about McNabb in Philly, by the way.

Would you rather see Rex or Brunell? Collins, I'll give him credit, came in and played well EVERY time. But that's in 4 and 1/2 games over 3 years. And he had like 3 or 4 picks to go with his play.

Campbell can do it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Of course, let's wait and see if Colt or Rex beats him out of his job.

keep holding your breath. keep holding...

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

and how many SBs did the Ravens return to?

thnx.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Because he gave his all for this city. He stood tall and composed among all the BS the fans refused to accept.

He is a good guy.

And for no other reason, he should be given the opportunity to show what he can do on a professional team.

I think he's the best option at QB, wasted draft picks included.

but Shanny and Allen know best, right?
So, whatever they decide, we'll all agree on, right?
Yeah, OK, right. my behind.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

But the reason Mike Shanahan has not traded Campbell away (under the assumption that Campbell is not part of this team's future, as some argue) is BECAUSE of the second contingent's argument. Posted by: psps23
____
Or maybe it's because no one else wants him!!! Denver traded for Brady Quinn, Seattle traded for Whithurst, Cleveland got Delhomme, Arizona got Anderson, SF got Carr.. all these teams could have inquired about Campbell.. he is a FA (restricted but still a FA) and NO ONE DID!!! If no other team is interested in Campbell why do you think he is so good the Redskins should make him their starter??

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"he had his lips pointed downfield..."

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

If you think he's comparable to Brady Quinn, you've got serious deficiencies in analyzing talent at the QB position.

Campbell can at least make the throws. Quinn is 2 seasons away from being a Republican Heath Shuler. If that.

He's Rex Grossman with guns. Please. Quinn vs Campbell? How about Romo vs Grossman?

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

and how many SBs did the Ravens return to?
thnx.
Posted by: Thinker_
_____
None goes to show even with a great defense, great running game, great OL it's hard to get to the Super Bowl without a great QB leading the way. But will say with average Kordell Stewart no Pit SB's.. get Big Ben... TWO!!! with avg Aaron Brooks no Saint SB's get Brees.. One!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Nobody wants Haynesworth either, right?

Logic = lacking.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker
____
Don't tell me tell the Denver Broncos.. They could have had Campbell last year but wanted Orton instead.. this year they apparently prefered Quinn to Campbell. But I'm sure you know more about football than Josh McDaniels.

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

So with a good line and better play and play calling, he should be great.....right? So if that doesn't work, what will be the cause NEXT year? The new HD jumbotron was too bright?

Posted by: westjr88 | March 25, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you havent mentioned a team with a cheesecake Defense there. Nor one without an O Line.

Dallas has reason to complain about their QB. He basically singlehandedly choked them out of 2 playoff games.

If you were talking about Drew Brees, I'd be with you, but Rex Grossman?

By the way, where was everybody when Brees was available?

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Nobody wants Haynesworth either, right?

Logic = lacking.

Posted by: Thinker
____
Not for the money Snyder is paying him...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

So, may the best QB on the Skins win, then.

I know who it will be, hands down, no question.

And when we sweep the division, you'll all attribute it to Shannys O. Campbell gets no love, because he played on a JV team for 5 years.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I think JC can really do this. He's a great competitor and has the ability to thrive with the right components around him. With a legit Offensive Coordinator calling logical plays and a Head Coach that has proven game management, Jason can really make a statement this year. Go SKINS!

Posted by: jp2583 | March 25, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I love the moves by our new guys in charge. Shanny is right, there should be competition everywhere and Jason hasnt done anything to prove that he's irreplacable. I love JC and think with some blocking he can be more than servicable. I dont agree with the people on this board that say they are fine with whoever we pick at #4. WE HAVE NO OFFENSIVE TACKLES!!!!! WE MUST DRAFT 1 with our first pick, and maybe with our first 3.

Posted by: sweeet_jones | March 25, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

the bottom line is Wins and Losses

Posted by: pathmo | March 25, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jp2583
_____
When Campbell had Al Saunders (a legit OC) and Gibbs (HC with proven game management) JC was 7-12 in 2006 and 2007... hardly a great statement...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker
____
If it was a JV team how come Brunell and Collins got them in the playoffs?? BTW Gibbs might disagree about the Skins being JV

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is a bum..plain and simple! If we don't draft a QB with our first pick and draft a OL (for what I dont know) he's still going to throw to the dump off guy everytime he feels pressure. You can blame coach ZORN, VINNY, SNDYER, OL, lack of run game, 2nd round receive not catching on, etc. but CAMPBELL never was and never should had been a 1st round QB or starter in this league.

I hate that were probably going to draft a OL because you don't need to draft OL that high. But, since we are please SKINS fans be prepared for another dogg yr at the QB position. Shanny going to make CAMPBELL throw the ball and watch what happen..DUMP OFF or INT.

Posted by: taylormade218 | March 25, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

totally agree.

Posted by: taylormade218 | March 25, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

For whom?
CAMPBELL HEARS BELLS TOLLING

ASHBURN, VA -- While some Redskin Outsiders wonder whether the 2010 campaing may be Jason Campbell’s last season with the Redskins, others hope and pray that he is already done playing here.

Coming off a highly disappointing 4-12 season, many wonder why he still has a locker at Redskin Park.

Could it be that no other team will have him -- even on a dare, or a lark?

Last off-season, the Redskins couldn't generate any interest in trading for Campbell among the other 31 NFL teams -- even at the bargain basement offer price of a 3rd or 4th round draft pick -- or even just a moldy old ham sandwich.

Thus, during a sadly discouraging 2009 season campaign that followed, Campbell did little, if anything, to make himself any more attractive to any other team.

Rather than improve on his limited skill set, many believe he regressed into an even worse quarterback -- while "leading" a hapless offensive unit that couldn't score so much as a single touchdown against some of the worst teams in the league.

When reached for comment Campbell said, "I don't listen to all the stuff out there. None of that is in my control."

So until somebody tells him otherwise, Campbell said he will "just keep showing up every payday, and working hard to come up with some fresh excuses every week for failing to get it done. That's all I can do."

In new coach Mike Shanahan, the Redskins believe they now have a coach who can again return the team to greatness.

But before that happens, everyone knows the team needs to, as one outsider explained it, “figure out what in the hell to do with Campbell.”

Shanahan, to his credit, is already speaking in guarded words about this worthless excuse for a quarterback, while the team goes about the business of interviewing journeymen quarterbacks and college prospects.

For his part, Campbell continues to unapologetically waste a roster space and take a locker away from someone who could actually help the team -- at least for today at Redskin Park.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 25, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"NOBODY on this roster should be getting any assurances."

4-12

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 25, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

_______________________
Al Saunders had one of the most intensely confusing playbooks in the whole league at the time. Another reason why Campbell didn't succeed was because it was only his first season as a starter!! What do you expect? Why don't you get back there and throw behind bums like Jansen and Thomas, throw to 5'9" receivers in Randle El and Moss. He has never had a legit O-Line or anything more than a #1 5'9 receiver. He isn't perfect but don't overlook his statical improvement every single year while the other components around him slowly crumbled.

Posted by: jp2583 | March 25, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth was quoted saying Campbell was given plays for 3rd and 2 when they were 11 yrds away from the getting the first down. This a player saying this! The fiasco of playing calling last year was the mockery of the NFL. And trust me Haynesworth isn't the most respected or trusted source around here but if Campbell is getting horrendous calls due to horrible staffing and still is improving albeit slowly then what are you talking about "sovine"?. He's proven his worth just in his relentless opposition to adversity. He isn't Tom Brandy or Big Ben but he will win out in camp and will show his ability to succeed.

Posted by: jp2583 | March 25, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jp2583
____
Oh please Campbell just didn't suck last year he was lousy under Gibbs to... And even in 2008 Skins had a top 5 defense, they sent 2 RB's to the pro bowl.. Portis and Sellers but they finished 2-6 because the offense couldn't score and that's not on Campbell??? Last year they lost to the Lions.. the Lions had no pass rush.. 5 girl scouts could have kept them out and yet the Skins with Campbell the leader on offense lost.. Look you may love Campbell but I'm tired of the losing. If Shanahan thought Campbell was anything special you don't think he would have signed him by now? You think he would have made it a point to check out all the QB's in the draft personally??? Campbell is on his way out and I'm glad...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't normally post on football, but they might as well give him another shot. Who knows what he could really do unless he has some time to throw. Unless they can pick up Vick. Like they should have done in the first damned place. I'm a Hokie, I like the man, I think he's straight up, and he needs to start playing before it gets too late for his legs. But yeah, I've hated on Campbell like everyone else, but he really was working at a defecit the last couple of years. Anybody can see that, especially when you actually go to a game and watch him get abused. It's terrible watching him get beat up. Nobody deserves that. If he can't hack it, start someone else, but give him one more shot>

Posted by: Brue | March 25, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jp2583
_____
"Statistics are for losers." - Scotty Bowman. Look when it's 3rd and 9 and Campbell compeletes a 5 yard pass and the Skins punt.. stat wise it's a success. But wouldn't it be better than trying to throw a 12 yard pass even with a greater risk of an incompletion or a pick? Campbell played it safe .. he played not to lose.. His stats look great... but he LOST!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1
____
Best and most honest description I've heard of Campbell today...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 25, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

It's not WHO the he!! is the QB.....it's about having for ONCE..an open and equal competition that doesn't just hand the job to this mediocre Auburn stiff.......All Auburn players need to be PURGED from this roaster ASAP !!!!

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | March 25, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe someone could be serious about wanting to see Jason Campbell return as the starting quaterback of the Washington Redskins. We have already seen what he can't do. We have heard all the excuses of why he can't do it. Why go through it again and put him through another offensive change? He cant handle it. He has had to go through to many offenses. He has had too many coaches. He has had too many offensive lines. It is so tough on him. Poor guy. Poor millionaire NFL quaterback. He has been so abused. Ok. enough is enough for the poor guy. Why abuse him anymore?? He has had it so tuff!! We have heard it all of why he can't perform. Put him again, and we will hear more about why the Redskins can't score points and how he has it so bad... My heart bleeds for him. so sad.

Ok.. Time for the REAL Deal!!! Someone who can get it done with out excuses!!! Some quaterback who can be a leader. Obviously, not Jason. Thanks for reading.

Posted by: carl6405 | March 26, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Look what Mark Rypien did with a good offensive line and players around him.

Posted by: Wizards2345 | March 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice way to put up a poll so the other teams fans can vote! WOW!

Of course other teams want us to keep Campbell, he's a retard in the pocket.

Remove this bogus poll.

Posted by: BigQEd | March 27, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

These polls are absolutely BOGUS. I know WAY too many people who HATE Campbell. It would take an IDIOT to like him after 4 losing seasons and being shown up by Todd Collins.

Seriously, these polls are WAY too easy to manipulate... its a simple FORM POST poll that would just require a simple script to clear cookies after each visit. A second year IT major could spam this thing and bolster the poll.

REMOVE THE POLL!!!

Posted by: BigQEd | March 27, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell will own all of the "competition" come on people be for real!

This person below me couldn't of said it any better..

Exactly.

Campbell deserves a decent line and running game, you ungrateful ignorants.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 25, 2010 7:35 AM

Posted by: miszxamanda19 | March 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO, Campbell IS the BUM. I do think its funny how Campbell gets all his friends and family to post on these forums to support him.

Campbell has 15 wins in his career of 4 seasons... ONLY 15 wins! If you still think he is the next Joe Montana, you are blind.

Campbell IS the bum. End of story.

Posted by: BigQEd | March 28, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse