Campbell, Shanahan met to discuss Redskins' plans

As we reported earlier, the scheduled meeting between Coach Mike Shanahan and Jason Campbell did occur, according to a Redskins source.

At the meeting, Shanahan and Campbell were expected to discuss the Redskins' plans for Campbell since the team traded Sunday night for quarterback Donovan McNabb. Campbell believes he has proven he is a starting NFL quarterback and would prefer to continue his career in that role, people familiar with his thinking said.

At least five teams are reportedly interested in Campbell, who has not signed his one-year tender offer.

By Jason Reid  |  April 5, 2010; 3:26 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb , Jason Campbell , Jason Reid , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb to Redskins: How the trade was made
Next: Redskins could bring back Jason Campbell even with McNabb

Comments

Nipple blitz is 15-yard penalty this year.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse
---------------------

Then lets add it to the playbook

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"So, nice meeting you, Jason. Take care. See you around."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

hmmmmmm

First this

Campbell wants to be a starter elsewhere.

then this

Rams release Marc Bulger
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 5, 2010 3:46 PM ET
'Tis the season for unloading expensive veteran quarterbacks.

The Rams announced the release of quarterback Marc Bulger Monday, ending an eight-year run with the team that began brilliantly but fell apart the last three seasons.

Bulger was scheduled to make $8.5 million next season and was never expected to be with the team in Week One. We're trying to figure out why they dumped him now instead of one week ago or after the draft.

Posted by: TWISI | April 5, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I do not see how this trade improves the Redskins beyond an 8-8, 9-7 team....

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 3:03 PM

If this trade did all that, I'm a supporter. I'm just afraid that we're giving up too much in a draft that's supposed to be deep with OL, when we've got 1 or 2 legit starters on our OL right now. Our running back cadre is suspect. I don't see 8 or 9 wins with our O-line in the condition it's in now.

Philly may have done us a favor declining Haynesworth and LL. Those players are both young and have gas in the tank!

Posted by: Alan4 | April 5, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Two thoughts, Alan4. I agree that we are better off trading #37 than AH or LL. But we don't know the entire deal there. It might have been AH for DM and a pick, we just don't know.

More importantly, how can this one deal make us an 8-8 or 9-7 team. Well, it isn't just this one trade. It's all the changes that have happened since 1/1/2010. Cerrato gone, JZ gone, an experienced head coach, a bright young OC, a change in DC, a new training format that should get players in better shape. In addition, remember 5 or 6 losses last year where we held the lead well into the 4th Q. Then having a proven QB like McNabb to control the game. We are clearly on a track to have a better record in 2010. How good? Stay tuned. HTTR.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 5, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

what was the point of this post? The meeting happened... ok...?

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

**Re-Post**

I'm finding it ultra hilarious that people have activated the the town emergency horn RE: the offensive line when there are FIVE months until September and they haven't drafted a single damn player yet...

BECASUE THEY HAVEN'T HELD THE DRAFT YET!

But typical RI posters, so indulged in their own opinions they can't even see the blatant logic in other opinions.

I really don't get how people just automatically assume that they're going to carry this same offensive line into the regular season.

Just like I can't understand how people are coming to the conclusion that Allen & Shanahan will make a trade giving up the 37th overall pick for an expiring contract and choose NOT to make an offer.

Or how everyone assumes that at the end of the coming season that it's a LOCK that McNabb will want to leave.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DG28 | April 5, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Only time will tell.....But I don't buy it....

They only made this move because too many people read some remark made by ALbert Einstein.

Was Einstein even alive to watch Football??!!? If he was, he would have told the Eagles they are idiots for applying the 'same' logic here....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 3:38 PM

Last year, you, psps23 and I believe BG were all saying how the Eagles would stink because (1) they lost their D-coord and safety, (2) their RB was fading, and (3) their pass catchers were young. What did they do? Compete for the division until the last game of the season and make the playoffs. Reid is still there and they have talent on both sides of the ball. It's good to know history.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 3:58 PM |

They don't have a QB anyone that thinks Kolb is just going to pick up where McNabb left off is crazy. And please don't say they have Vick because he is a joke.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 5, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you deserve better than this organization has treated you. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. Shanny better hope No. 5 does'nt get hurt, with Grossman as a backup. Stay Classy. HTTR!

Posted by: classicskins | April 5, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Would love to be a fly on the wall:

SHANNY: Sorry Jason, just bidness.

CAMPBELL: I don't get no respect.

SHANNY: Open competition. You're still under contract. See if you can play up to being the third string. Colt looks vulnerable... and Sexy Rexy ain't really killin it neither.

CAMPBELL: I need a line.

SHANNY: You got more lines than a frat boy in a leisure suit. What you need is to get yo head out of yo backside and play yo tail off.

CAMPBELL: I just cain't find my rhythm.

SHANNY: This ain't no conga line there dipstick. This is the National Freaking Football League. Only rhythm you should be worrying about is how often you win.

CAMPBELL: Betcha Portis threw me under the bus... again.

SHANNY: No, Dude, this one's on you and you alone. Portis has his judgement day waiting and soon too.

CAMPBELL: Aw, coach... but I'm a starter.

SHANNY: Well, sorry son, but I must disagree. If you post a career record as bad as yours, you can't be a starter for my team.

CAMPBELL: (Unintelligible, buts sounds something like)

Mumble... mumble...

Bubba Gump... shrimp boat.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 5, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

leevi

"Is this still the same dysfunctional redskins? A team still ignoring there biggest needs?"

I too wonder if the move to add McNabb is another signal of dysfunction.

Most new coaches want to draft a starting quarterback, then spend 3-5 years training him up.

McNabb has already been trained.

You wonder if he can carry an offense replete with unproven recievers, 30 year old running backs, and a porious line.

He doesn't have a future as 11 seasons means his past of 5 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl may not be duplicated.

And of the biggest redskins' need, fixing the offensive line, using a 2nd rounder to get McNabb cuts that effort to a degree as 2 top linemen would mean way more than 1 top quarterback.

I don't like the trade.

And I think it'll satisfy like the Haynesworth acquistion.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse
You're right Red. I'm sure there have already been talks about a contract extension with DMN. The trade would not have been consumated without preliminary discussions.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell, Shanahan met to discuss Redskins' plans"

Again: draft day trade is what the plan is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Everyone saying the eagles are going to be good next year think about this.

Packers with Favre=nfc championship game

Packers first year with Rodgers=6-10

I'm not saying it might not be a good long term move much the same as it was for the pack. I'm saying you can expect the inexperienced Qb to not win as many games even with a talented roster loaded with picks.
I seem to recall the same rhetoric on hear last year everyone saying the eagles were going to be good because they have a bunch of first day picks. They may be good but alot of picks doesn't mean you will be competiitve. The same thing can be done with coached up veterans.

Posted by: DG28 | April 5, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

The biggest loser in this trade is the grass at FedEx. With the Skins porous OL, McNabb's diminished mobility, and the 5-8 passes that McNabb throws into it, it's going to take a beating.

Posted by: Diesel44

Hey, can you let me know what time is
kickoff this coming Sunday, and whether the Redskins are home or away?

Regards,

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 3:43 PM

Read and Digest-

Don't cherry pick a post. Read what I've been writing.

I've said it several times that the season starts in 5 months and with that we are in the same boat as everyone else.

The only difference is that the Eagles, boys, and Ginas already have a more competitive roster and we only have 4 picks, the remaining dregs of FA, potential cuts, and undrafted FA to fill our numerous needs.

Now before you say it will take more than a year to fill our many needs and become competitive...I'll say exactly, that's why it doesn't make sense to have a short-term solution at QB when the roster is 2-3 years away from being competitive in the division.

BTW...Love the whole "can you let me know what time is kickoff this coming Sunday", "go find another team", or the best of them all, "so indulged in their own opinions they can't even see the blatant logic in other opinions."

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And if we can't get at least a third for him maybe we can rent him out for adenoidal research

Posted by: ElYeah | April 5, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell and Haynesworth to the Rams for a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Rams still pick Bradford in 1st round use Jason as a stop gap and we still get Okung and Bruce Campbell in the second or Terrance Cody.

Posted by: hammer4 | April 5, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

mark bulger released by the Rams...guess that means they are definitely taking bradford at #1

Posted by: leevi98 | April 5, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

This was a very good strategic move on the redskins part. The timing and every piece fell into place into what seems like an irresistible pick up. As mentioned Shannahan did win 2 super bowls with a veteran in John Elway. You could see this move makes sense because of the first round tender placed on Campbell and not a first and third. Secondly there are currently 5 QB's on the roster. Trading Campbell for a first round(5 teams have been interested) would give us a more valuable pick on paper of the first round than the second round. Campbell has proven himself a starter but i think he would be more capable starting with another team with stability in their system
What we'd do with that first round is interesting. I found it interesting that Eric Berry would visit Ashburn. There has been a need at FS, and if we chose him would allow us to move Laron back to SS. I can most certainly guarantee that we'd be looking at a LT in the other first round which makes sense. This is just a theory however

Posted by: hazeljay | April 5, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the trade.

second this......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 5, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the trade.

And I think it'll satisfy like the Haynesworth acquistion.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

I was just thinking that perhaps Baltimore might be the unnamed team interested in JC, as Flacco is probably not untouchable at this point, we need a LT, and they have a disgruntled one floating around somewhere. A lot of stars align on that front, which probably means it'll never happen. But if it did, and it comes out that this was the plan, then ok. But sans another move, this thing looks like Norv Turners face.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, since we're all admitting our confusions here at "Nonplussed Anonymous", I can't understand how people think you can replace 3/5s of an offensive line - including the key left tackle - and also find quality backups with few draft picks and little of interest to other teams.

Some people appear to think, I guess, that teams can just put a couple of rookies in a line and they're magically ready to play fulltime at a higher level.

Or find them on the FA wire.

I just don't know.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 5, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the trade.

And I think it'll satisfy like the Haynesworth acquistion.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

So when would you have preferred that they address the QB position?

McNabb is better than anyone they would have gotten 2nd round or later this year. And the trade doesn't really handicap you next year.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 5, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the trade.

And I think it'll satisfy like the Haynesworth acquistion.

Posted by: MistaMoe

I agree with I didn't initially like the trade. But IF we get an LT @ #4 a coachable vet to compete with heyer you don't think the skins would be in contention for a deep run? This is the thing that makes me think it's workable.

Plus Mcnabb threw on 80% of his plays with philly he won't be doing that with shanahan. So maybe just maybe!

Posted by: DG28 | April 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Rams release Marc Bulger
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 5, 2010 3:46 PM ET
'Tis the season for unloading expensive veteran quarterbacks.

Posted by: TWISI | April 5, 2010 3:55 PM
----------------------------------------
The timing of it makes it seem like they were negotiating a trade with the Redskins and when the Skins signed McNabb, they knew there were no other takers...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Seems every year you hear about teams getting compensetory picks (as high as 3rd round) for FA's lost.

Does anyone know how this works? If the skins would get a 3rd round compensetory pick for Campbell next year if they let him walk, doesn't that make more sense than trading him for a 4th/5th round pick?

Posted by: HokiePaul | April 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles' GM is a first-year guy, I believe. Don't confuse him with Jeff Ireland, who had been running the show for Philly during the McNabb era.

And Andy Reid was the Eagle proponent that did NOT want to trade McNabb.

Don't be so sure that because Philly has had a shrewd front office in the past, that everything they do now is brilliant on their part. This has major potential to backfire for them.

Posted by: psps23 | April 5, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"The front office can't be so blind they don't realize this team needs two tackles (one that can start at lt immediatly) and a ss. Otherwise we do have a playoff capable roster. So the #4 will sure up lt we can grab a castoff to compete with heyer. Then use some of that snyder money for darren sharper or anyone that can cover deep. If we can do those things why couldn't we be competing for the division and a good playoff run. Anyone?"

AKA42

I agree with you 100%. What all these dumb fans who hate the trade don't get is it's still the offseason! Shanahan always finds his offensive lineman in the late rounds/undrafted of the drafts and the cuts from other teams. Listen we clearly need a LT & RT,but Shanahan's plan is to pound the rock & go play action, do people really think he doesn't already have a plan! He already grabbed a few former Denver O-Lineman & I would bet one of them might get playing time. He likes shorter,lighter,quicker offensive lineman. Those kind of lineman don't usually get picked up in the first three rounds of drafts. I think selecting Okung could be just like when Shanahan drafted LT Clady, during his time Denver & the rest of line was late rounders/undrafted free agents. If we don't get Okung it won't be the worst thing because I know Shanahan has a back up plan.

As for Mcnabb,he is only 33 abd has at least 4-5 more good years ahead of him! Just look at Favre at 40 taking his team to the playoffs with an up and down season for AP! Everyone focuses on Mcnabb not winning a Super Bowl,but he got his team to the playoffs without Westbrook last year & that tells me a lot. Looking forward to the DMAC era in D.C.! Hail to the redskins!

Posted by: adamaniba | April 5, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: oh_boy1 | April 5, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

diesel44

"....it doesn't make sense to have a short-term solution at QB when the roster is 2-3 years away from being competitive in the division...."

Agreement here, if not in other places.

I don't like the short term fix idea at qb, either.

But what's done is done.

Hopefully the team will take its picks and find a lt, rt, and lb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I dont see that the celebration is about. If McNabb is true to form, his old broke down a** will get hurt early and he'll sit out most of the season. Then we'll be crying.

I really like McNabb as a person. I would have been tap dancing and doing back flips if we had got him several seasons back. But not now. We only have him because Philly has used him up. I am not sure if the dregs of McNabb is going to be worth it.

And when Campbell starts winning elsewhere (I'll grant you he is not an elite QB but I insist that he can do well in the right program) don't any Campbell haters come cryin to me.

Posted by: mrapier1 | April 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Now if the first picks would be
Bradford, Suh, McCoy

instead of
Bradford, Okung, Suh

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask you this: How would the Redskins get a franchise quarterback? the guy on the roster had his opportunities and was largely ineffective. The top two QB draft picks carry a lot of questions with them. No one else was willing to give up a QB that had been to playoffs and Superbowls and had demonstrated an ability to lead. Take McNabb strengthens the Redskins while weakening a division foe. How can this be seen as a bad deal?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 5, 2010 4:01 PM | Report

What you forget to mention is that the Patriots didnt start adding big name free agents till they had a strong core of young talent and a SB caliber team. You add those player to fill gaps not to make you team as we have every year. I honestly would have rather seen Campbell get one more shot with a good line and good RB's and a good coach and pick up someone like Mccoy or Lefvour in the draft. I really think this is just prolonging the inevitable. We draft a good team and have FA to fill the gaps. Cant do that with 3-4 picks a year.

Posted by: 4skin | April 5, 2010 4:09 PM |

Posted by: 4skin | April 5, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I am just skeptical of watching big trades/ free agent signings for this team... We have a lot of needs and we really should start using the draft more, as we seem to be pretty poor at signing talented FA's. Every once in awhile we get a good one, Fletch, Moss, Griffin, Randy Thomas, Andre Carter... but more often than not we overpay for aging players past their primes who do not fit what we do.

Mcnabb is an upgrade, but our team is still mediocre. The talent level is not good enough to win, and by throwing away picks it is going to be difficult to improve on the talent level... Mcnabb has 3 years left of elite play, most likely, and I worry we wont surround him with enough talent to really make a push at a superbowl.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 3:58 PM

What I learned last year.....

The QB play is the most important position. Now, I am saying these guys will have a down year because they have none.

We all can/will be wrong at times. And I learned a good history lesson last year. And from that, I learned and this is what I got.

(The D-Coordinator almost lost his job after one year, though. And the RB play still was shaky w/ one being knocked out of the season. Now add to that the lost of a proven leader?? Maybe I said it one season too early)

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Obviously its about 50/50 on what we think about this trade and thats fine. One thing for sure he's our guy now. Id rather see a post on here that totally disagrees with me than one that just has no opinion. I love seeing the posts that read. Theres nothing i can do about it so why worry or Lets just wait and see before we start hatting. Or my favorite, your not a gm or coach let that be done by the pros. Well this is a blog thats whats its for to say your opinion. Why do you write on here if your opinion is i agree with whatever the pros are doing or i will wait an see. Well wait and see and leave us with opinions out of your boring life. Honeslty i think i could build a team that did better than 4-12.

Posted by: 4skin | April 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

im sorry but if you look at the number Campbell is better in alot of catorgies then Mcnabb. The only reason he brings up the team is he a new veteran guy with 7 more years of experience. will see but Campbell has other teams that want he will do good next year whereever he ends up

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | April 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

We can only hope that he will want to leave, so we can start building this team the right way for once.

Posted by: 4skin | April 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | April 5, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

And those 5 teams are...

Posted by: DCV1 | April 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Ya know we all gotta look at something gotta big name quarterback and he just made peace with a big name target and now we dnt have anything to get Brandon Marshall here comes the next head line we better get are popcorn ready. He may be old but he still has it

Posted by: disturbed11384 | April 5, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The five teams interested in Jason Campbell are The Spokane Shock, The Iowa Barnstormers, The Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz, The Orlando Predators, and The Alabama Vipers. Personally, I think he would fit in quite nicely with the Barnstormers.

Posted by: nomolehill | April 5, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

what sucks is that during this time they could have been shopping Campbell at the same time while talking with the Eagles and instead now of getting a 2 rounder for Campbell teams know they have to get rid of him so pick is now lower 3 o 4th

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | April 5, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

McNabb will talk to Campbell and try to convince him to stay as the backup. If the skins get no decent offer, then Campbell will be an awesome backup which is what he is folks--a good insurance policy/backup. McNabb is a beast--period--even at 33. I totally agree that the skins need to find a way to get two top tier tackles in the draft AT ALL COST. They must get younger on the line...bottom line: the skins will be dealing big time before the draft to make that happen--I guarantee it!
As for the safety position, are you telling me that between Doughty, Kareem Moore and Chriss Horton they have no safties? Landry will be more of a SS/rover and they will play him like a small linebacker and he will be successful again.

Posted by: danminter | April 5, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Good move. I feel better knowing McNabb will be there. They're not finished fixing the O-line. Lots of time left. They're not finished making deals either. Next season is looking up. And I fully expect them to get rid of "I don't need to come work out" Haynesworth at the first chance, and to improve at free safety. The improvements are coming slowly but surely. Steady as she goes. I like it.

Posted by: OintheSierras | April 5, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Rex Grossman is going to be the Skins backup? Great plan, since McNabb never gets hurt.

Posted by: loux24 | April 5, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I swear Redskins fan are biggest idiots and I get tired of listening to your non football knowledge. McNabb as our QB means a total upgrade at the position. None of you retards nor I, have any ideal what they are thinking at Redskins Park. Until the first game of 2010 is played we don't know what the roster will look like. Who's not to say that they will now trade Campbell for draft picks. Or one of the TE for draft picks. Who's not to say they still draft a QB and let him learn behind McNabb. Anybody here know? No. So shut your trap until the final roster is anounced for 2010.

Posted by: andre_mccullough | April 5, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I have seen many mcnabb eagles games over the yrs,he is a good qb but streaky hot and cold(throws alot of low passes)good with the deep ball just decent on quick slant passes, decent mobility(he is 33 now with a few bad injuries over the yrs.) still strong. the o-line is still the PROBLEM if the line at the start of the season is solid pass and run blocking this will work,if the line is similar as last yrs line mcnabb will get injured and grossman will be the new starter. all this trust for shanahan/allen by many is unwarranted as of now and the lineman he bought in from the broncos was released because he can't hold up at the point of attach(sound like any linemen on this team now?)

Posted by: wathu19 | April 5, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

What plan?? no one wants Campbell.. I'm afraid the only plan for Campbell is Shanahan saying... Goodbye Loser..

Posted by: sovine08 | April 5, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

WTF...I'm having a hard time understanding why people think this is a bad move.

2nd rounder (strictly talking this year) for McNabb, a proven qb with basically total WCO system knowledge. VERSUS, a young buck (#4 overall) coming out of college who we have to teach the whole thing to over again and might not measure up to expectations (ala JC17). We are still left with our #1 people. Seemingly majority opinion amongst sportwriters, is that we were drafting a qb to groom. So our #1 or #2 pick would have gone there anyway. I like the idea of McNabb versus an unproven qb and apparently so does Shanny. Now, we can effectively focus on the line with the #1 pick and other moves possibly being talked about (again, ala JC17). Win freakin' win!!! And lets not forget Shanny needs a line to run his offense effectively so please stop thinking we have abandoned that or cant get it done. Where are these crystal balls coming from???

If you are going to use a pick on a qb, why not the number 2 and why not DMN??? Age?? Tell Brett or Kurt that. Warner got hurt a lot and he played at a high level until he retired so get off that. McNabb still has some gas and yes, I agree with Red that the people in charge in all probability had good prelim talks about an extension.

Damn, cant y'all wait UNTIL the season to treat him like philly treated him??? Good thing he doesn't let bad talk get inside his head.

I hope JC17 gets it done somewhere else, but I think he is very co-dependent on the skillsets of others. Yeah, they all (qbs) are to a certain extent, but elite qbs make something out of nothing at all....and isnt that what a lot of you think of our team - nothing at all? Well, McNabb is elite and he still can make something happen and even more, he is NOW a Redskin, so HELP A BROTHER OUT and show some love!

Peace2fingaz!!

Posted by: dark_some | April 5, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Campbell with a real offensive coaching staff than a declining McNabb who got drawn and quartered THREE TIMES by the Cowboys last year.

Mighty Mike fleeced us in the Bailey/Portis trade by getting us to throw in a high pick that should have been coming the other way, and now he fleeces us by making the Skins sign an overrated Larry Johnson and in the acquisition of a good-but-declining quarterback.

Oh, and he's fleecing Little Danny by pocketing $7 million per year!

Aren't there laws against this kind of robbery?

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 5, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I have to think they are going to trade down from #4 and trade JC for picks. They don't need the most sought after draft picks for OL's in Shanahan's zone blocking system - his OL's are smaller and faster and typically taken in later rounds. Also, probably not applicable here, but sometimes I wonder if having a McNabb makes trades for FAs and pickups of FAs more doable, since QB talent makes DC a more desirable splashdown.

Posted by: daglaw | April 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't like having to give up the 37th pick in a draft that is as deep as this year's but Mcnabb will do well and take off alot of the pressure that has been on our defences shoulders for years. Now the defence will not be on the field the whole game and the offence will score points, even with all the old ass runningbacks. Our young WRs will make the plays thet were drafted to make. The o-line will be better, Shanahan is no fool and he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Shanahan has alot to prove and I am pretty sure he knows more about the game of football than you and I. I like that he tried to get rid of Fat Al, who with all his money thinks hes bigger than the team and deserves special treatment. Zorn is gone Fatboy, you better recognize!

Posted by: sean-sean17 | April 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Man, I wish Campbell would stay on as our backup instead of Wrecks Nessman.

I can easily see Nessman under center in the typical "McNabb Gets His Chest Broken Again" scenario. And that's when things will really not be very fun to watch.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 6, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse