Mike Shanahan, Jason Campbell to meet Monday afternoon

It is unclear whether Shanahan and Campbell plan to meet at Redskins Park or another location, but Shanahan apparently sought the meeting to inform Campbell of his plans for him after the team's major move to acquire McNabb for draft picks. Buffalo, Carolina, Oakland and Jacksonville are among the teams reportedly interested in Campbell.

Neither Shanahan, who runs the football operation, nor General Manager Bruce Allen are expected to comment today, and Campbell has said little.

"We just have to wait and see what happens," he said in a phone interview late Sunday night. "Other than that, there's really nothing to say right now." Attempts to contact Campbell on Monday have been unsuccessful.

Meantime, quarterback Donovan McNabb succeeded in reaching out to Campbell late Sunday night, a person familiar with McNabb's efforts said. The quarterbacks talked about the situation and how to best handle things moving forward.

According to the team's official site, McNabb has already nabbed his preferred jersey number. McNabb wore No. 5 in Philadelphia and also at Syracuse University, but Colt Brennan has worn that number here in Washington. The team's official site reports that Brennan will switch to No. 15. It's not clear if McNabb had to give up anything, but it should be considered doubtful. The safe guess is Brennan will be ecstatic to simply remain on the roster through training camp.

By Jason Reid and Rick Maese  |  April 5, 2010; 11:24 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Campbell , Jason Reid , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Does McNabb to Redskins alter team's plans for No. 4 pick in draft?
Next: Redskins to introduce McNabb at noon Tuesday

Comments

Trade JC, Big Albert, Landry, and everything that's not bolted down for draft picks. Trade down from the #4 slot for even more draft picks.

Posted by: supadupa1 | April 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow, like Bmitch has said this regime is so different from the last in how it operates. Very refreshing. Actually meeting with Campbell to discuss his status? Incredible.

Exciting stuff, and I think this is a great move. There are still some long-term roster problems that won't be addressed until 2011-2012, but for now the 'Skins are instantly more competitive. A proven field general who won't get crazy feet when Heyer is beat off the edge 5+ times a game.

Posted by: hithere1 | April 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

We did upgrade at QB sure, but will people knock it off with this BS that we just fixed the offense.

The redskins just went from an offense that looked like this
Passing Game: C-
Running Game: F
O-Line: F

to a overall offense that looks like this:
Passing Game: B-
Running Game: F (maybe D-)
O-Line: F

Posted by: alex35332 | April 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

his carreer.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Ok, there you go again, glad to see you're back in form. Please go check Suh's stats again and watch his games before making that ridiculous comment again. If Suh is available at 4, (I think he'll go before McCoy), I think there will be several teams interested in moving up to get him.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 5, 2010 11:24 AM

Then tell me why McCoy rates higher in most 'experts' Best Available? Including the stars of Mocks, Mayock, Kiper, and McShay??

And I agree with you if Suh will be available at #4, there were be alot of teams looking to get him....And that team will be our trade partner.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The rain cloud in this silver lining ... that The Todd (the REAL #15) will NOT be returning to the Skins.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:11 AM

There was a plan in place. Dansby asking price was too much and Miami didn't let him leave....which means they overpaid. Peppers wasn't worth the value either.

Let's have confidence in these people.....I already stated I can see HEyer starting this year......We just need a starting LT and some back up tackles....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure there was a plan in place, I'm just wondering what the heck it was.

If you see Heyer starting this year, I don't see us in the playoffs.

Does this mean we increase our offer to Levi Jones? Maybe we make a hard run at Jared Gaither? Is the Penalty-Generator Flozell Adams going to come in for a visit now?

Can someone explain what the plan is?

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Pack your grip, takin' you on a trip.
Ain't no seats, all we got's McNabb's arm and feet.
Leave your worries behind.
Cause rain, shine. Don't mind.
You're ridin' on the trade line tonight.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is closer in comparison to JC17 than to Drew Brees.

Posted by: p1funk

UFB!
This is why stats don't work in Football. McNabb has what I'd hoped JC would, the ability to lead his team to victory late in games. Would you have rather had him or JC the last 5 years,since statistically you say they are close?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Reportedly Shanahan will bring tour guides of the cities of Oakland and Buffalo to the meeting, set them out in front of Campbell with a note that says 'Pick One'.

Posted by: Predator48 | April 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

the 1st thing I thought when I heard of the news is Mark Brunell. A good guy who always says the right thing and won a ton of games at Jax with his legs and arm. Came to washington and just couldn't get it done and our O-line was not the issue.

May be a stretch but man I really flashed back to that moment. Hope I'm completely wrong.

Posted by: overzealous08 | April 5, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

""Coach Mike Shanahan is scheduled to meet with quarterback Jason Campbell on Monday afternoon to discuss Campbell's situation after the team's trade for former Philadelphia Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb, a team source said Monday morning.""

I read that sentence with the Undertaker theme song playing in the back of my head.

I'm waiting for JC17 to go gangsta. 2 years in a row he's been dogged by an FO that basically thinks he doesn't cut it. If he has any self-respect he's going to issue a statement that says something like:

"Yeah, I met with Shanny. I flipped him the bird and told him to trade me immediately. Then kicked over his trashcan as I left the room. If I see Dan Snyder I'm gonna show him the back of my hand."

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Why does JC have to be unnamed for this? That is who shared this info with you as well as the info about the team not contacting him about the trade.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

The only way I see the redskins building up through the draft now is by swindling picks from an old man (e.g. Al Davis, Ralph Wilson). Someone round up some Ovaltine and those butterscotch candies, we have an off-season title to defend.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

***repost***

McNabb is closer in comparison to JC17 than to Drew Brees.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I could see your side on a few thoughts but then you had to go and do this?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is closer in comparison to JC17 than to Drew Brees.

Posted by: p1funk

UFB!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I was responding specifically to another poster zeroing in on the TD/INT ratio.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

And the beeps keep comin'.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Can someone explain what the plan is?

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:35 AM

No. THat's just how they role......I kind of like it, for now.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

or he could continue using his best attribute, Class, and be civil through the whole business side of the sport.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

McD5 intro beeps

Posted by: Predator48 | April 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Are you saying this because you (personally) want Okung to be available at 4 for your favorite team? You do understand that the Skins are not the Lions' favorite team and are not going to forgo a serious need so that the Skins can have a LT. The Lions o-line is as bad as the Redskins'. They are taking Okung. Book it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 11:27 AM

No, I'm basing that on the Lions have a much worse defense than offense and having a defensive-minded coach. He's still early enough in his tenure to get a little benefit of the doubt from their FO.

So while I am very interested in my favorite team getting Okung, I'm basing my assumption that Suh goes 2 on the above paragraph, not my rooting interest.

And even if Okung goes 2 (and I don't think he will), the Skins still have Bulaga and Williams there at #4, neither of which sounds like much of a reach at that spot.

I believe we'll get our tackle...just not two of 'em in the top 37 picks like I wanted us to.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

How does the McNabb pick figure into that "open competition" atmosphere they were fostering?

...meet the new boss?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Let's say the McNabb factor wins us 4 games in the 4th quarter last season. We are still 8-8. Championship!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

McNabb won't do much when he's getting sacked on 3 step drops. We need many, many new O-Line pieces.

Posted by: supadupa1 | April 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Suh, is not a playmaker. HE is a faboulous Run Stuffer, but that's it at this point in his carreer.

Posted by: 4thFloor
------------
At this point in his career, he's not even a rookie yet. In college, he was an amazing play maker. Google his stats on sacks, tackles for loss and QB hurries.

Posted by: closer44 | April 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

alex35332 = fool

Posted by: frmi | April 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Man, if we only had a line.

McNabb behind a good line is so superior to Campbell that it's not even funny.

It's going from a D or D- to a B or B+.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Man, if we only had a line.

McNabb behind a good line is so superior to Campbell that it's not even funny.

It's going from a D or D- to a B or B+.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 5, 2010 11:53 AM

Campbell behind a good line is so superior that it's not even funny.

Posted by: supadupa1 | April 5, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for JC17 to go gangsta.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:38 AM

Is going "gangsta" one level less than going "postal"?

One of the problems with JC was that he never went "gangsta," especially on the field--just stayed medium...no emotion.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 5, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the bad line was just another excuse from JC applogists. Last year was an exceptional one, since we lost almost all of the line to injuries, no team and I mean no team is prepared to handle that many injuries. And even then they ran the ball very effectively when Williams was at guard. I think we are set on guards and center positions. We will have depth by the time this team in done with adding more linemen from draft and free agency.

Let's be patient and let's see how things fold. I am very optimistic now about next season.

Go Redskins!

Posted by: capitolteacher | April 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Campbell behind a good line is so superior that it's not even funny.

Are you saying that behind comparable lines, that Campbell is "so superior" to McNabb?

So, let's say you've got two good O-lines. You can have either (A) Campbell or (B) McNabb behind them.

And you choose (A)?

Oy.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Its all about competition ... AT EVERY POSITION gee Mista Mayor WaPo types ... that's what it looks like? Portoise now has 2 new guys who want his job and perennially he has always been the starter. They are both around 30.

And McNabb is plus 30 with a history of injuries of late?

Shannahan appears to be doing better than Gibbs when it comes to making players compete for their positions. McNabb is not guaranteed the starting QB job. Bet he is going to have to earn it just like all the other guys on the team.

That is a good thing for this team.

Posted by: periculum | April 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Do I think we desparately needed that pick to be spent on a lineman. Yes. I don't believe I'm alone there.

Do I think the 37th pick for a lineman was worth more, potentially, in the long run for this team than an aging, played out QB? Absolutely.

Will I be eating crow come mis-season? Let's hope so.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

We were never going to spend both of our top two picks on O-linemen, as many on this blog were advocating. One of them (or both, if in a trade to move up for Bradford) were going to be spent on a QB. At least, this way we get a proven commodity instead of a guy who, history shows, is as likely as not to crap out.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think we're going to package mcnabb and our pick to st. louis for their #1 pick so we can get bradford

Posted by: Havemercyplz | April 5, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be perfect for Campbell to end up in Carolina. Running team with a good line and a receiver who can go get it! I would take that in a heartbeat.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | April 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Only silver lining is we finally get rid of Campbell.. But McNabb is a mistake.. it's like went we got Jeff George and Deion Sanders in the past. Another past his prime player that the Redksins are dumb enough to think can be the answer. He is a short term fix to a long term NEED. Skins should have followed what Rams are going to do.. draft a franchise QB and have a guy who can win for you for the next 10-15 years.. not next 2 or 3...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Would love to be a fly on the wall:

SHANNY: Sorry Jason, just bidness.

CAMPBELL: I don't get no respect.

SHANNY: Open competition. You're still under contract. See if you can play up to being the third string. Colt looks vulnerable... and Sexy Rexy ain't really killin it neither.

CAMPBELL: I need a line.

SHANNY: You got more lines than a frat boy in a leisure suit. What you need is to get yo head out of yo backside and play yo tail off.

CAMPBELL: I just cain't find my rhythm.

SHANNY: This ain't no conga line there dispstick. This is the National Freaking Football League. Only rhythm you should be worrying about is how often you win.

CAMPBELL: Betcha Portis threw me under the bus... again.

SHANNY: No, Dude, this one's on you and youalone. Portis has his judgement day waiting and soon too.

CAMPBELL: Aw, coach... but I'm a starter.

SHANNY: Well, let me be the first to say this starter is finished. See ya!

Posted by: Vic1 | April 5, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Vinny. You were never really gone. Trading draft picks for old guys again

Posted by: LightSnowOvernight | April 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

JC, I wish you nothing but the best. Like with all of us, there's always a better work environment out there...just ask Brad Johnson and Mark Brunell.

Posted by: Keliza64 | April 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

McNabb was probably acquired so that the O line can be concentrated and worked on. It's not hard to figure out.

Posted by: ladyredskins | April 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

lightsnow. why don't you stop sniffing the light snow! the whole "same old redskins" references are getting old.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | April 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

What gets me is that we're going from a guy nicknamed "Soup," because he has the same last name as the Campbell's Soup Company, to a guy who has actually been the advertising spokesman for Campbell's Soup for nearly a decade. This strongly suggests that the Campbell's Soup Company really controls this team, not this "Dan Snyder" guy or FedEx.

This also neatly explains why the team can never make any progress, because the word "progress" sounds too much like "Progresso," Campbell's main competitor in the canned-soup market.

Posted by: JKfromClifton | April 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

So I guess you'd rather have a rookie than a Hall of Fame caliber Qb? or What is the real reason for not liking McNabb because this comparison is not very good!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | April 5, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

JC should tell Mike Shennagin to Kiss his Arse!

Posted by: rlomax67 | April 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I love reading you wannabe expert analyst post. A bunch of Skip Baylesses minus the ESPN paycheck. But the same brash but inaccurate analysis.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 5, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a Skins backfield with McNabb, Johnson
Parker and Portis. Don't really know how
that will all pan out during the season, but for know it sure seems interesting to say the least!

Posted by: poundtherock | April 5, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse