Redskins players react to Campbell trade to Oakland

His teammates reaction to the trade of Jason Campbell to the Raiders was exactly as you'd expect -- and echoes what many of you are saying. Dan Steinberg caught Redskins players at the draft day party for fans today at FedEx Field and has more on the D.C. Sports Bog.

"I was sad to see him get traded," Kedric Golston said. "He's always been a great friend to me. We all know the situation here, and from what it sounds like he's happy to go out there and get another opportunity, so if he's excited, I'm excited. The NFL's a hard place, but I know Jason will bring a very professional attitude out there to Oakland, and I wish him the best, because he's always been a good friend of mine....
"He's a guy that's gonna do exactly what the coaches ask him to do. I mean, it's hard to win football games in this league, but I would have Jason Campbell on my team. He's gonna do well. He's gonna do great."

By Cindy Boren  |  April 24, 2010; 3:23 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Campbell , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan tells Morris he'll be used at fullback and H-back as well
Next: Redskins make another trade -- for two seventh-round picks

Comments

"Uh, we're not done yet."

Posted by: jj250 | April 24, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | April 24, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Re-post:

Happy trails, JC-- you deserved better: a better O-Line, coaching, support, continuity, and more love. Class act all the way through; Raiders got a very good deal for him and I hope for his sake that he does well for them. I'm sad for him on a human level and wish him all the best. But enough sappiness! Now for some biting tomfoolery! So, ahem... conversation with Undead Al for the JC trade and all...

I guess that debunks the theory that Al Davis died before the draft!

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 24, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Players react?
or just Golston?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 24, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Official trade details: Pats give up seventh-rounders 229 and 231 for seventh-rounder 208.
8 minutes ago via Echofon

Posted by: TWISI | April 24, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Guessing we were targetting Role and when Tenn. took him we traded down.

Posted by: mac2j | April 24, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Could of gotten Cody Grimm but picked up extra picks so okay I think.

Posted by: will_ga | April 24, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to you JC. You were never placed in a position to succeed here. Bring some much needed class and credibility to that Raider organization while you're out there.

Posted by: Predator48 | April 24, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

7th round...

DRAFT CALLOWAY FROM IOWA for RT or SELVISH CAPERS FROM WEST VIRGINIA for RT.

Beyond those two, I don't care who they draft. Maybe Blount for Oregon for the RB rotation, or a KR/PR prospect.

But for reals, Calloway or Capers could push for the RT by mid-season, if not sooner, with some good couching. Raw, but good upside.

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 24, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

in the trade we got picks #229 and #231

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 24, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Jason

True athletes rise above adversity, lead, and excel. When there are tough times, we can tell who has it and who doesn't.

Quite frankly, your gift to us was you weren't injured for the season last year. You took a beating.

But, you didn't rise above - you weren't leading YOUR team. You didn't MAN UP and correct OBVIOUS deficiencies. There is a role model in the league that you could have approached - not Donovan McNabb - but rather, Peyton Manning. When you look at the amount of preparation he put in compared to you, you will understand why you may NEVER succeed. There is no thing as a part-time Quarterback. You have to be THE MAN and demand excellence.

When the team was suffering from ankle-biters and knives in the back, you could have seized that moment to show us what you were made of. Instead, we got to see you pick yourself up, not your team mates. You dusted off your jersey and played another down. But you weren't a leader - you didn't make others around you better. You allowed last year to happen - even if it wasn't of your making, but you were complicit in the landslide of mediocrity.

In the end, all the excuses you have for your time at Washington just got you a ticket to Oakland - and the grass will not be greener, the hits won't be less punishing, and the fans won't be as civil. Your owner who loves you now after you signed with him makes Little Napoleon look well adjusted.

But then again, you were a nice guy. See how long nice guys last in Oakland.

Posted by: laserwizard | April 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Eff, that should read "COACHING." Couching is what Stephon Heyer does best, and we don't anymore of that.

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Campbell is gone...can we stop with the Saint Jason routine already????

Posted by: rickyroge | April 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

So is LBlount talking to Tampa Bay or Washington?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Eff, that should read "COACHING." Couching is what Stephon Heyer does best, and we don't want anymore of that.

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 24, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 24, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike4169 | April 24, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

WR? Okay... I'm listening-- but where's the OT?

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 24, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Jason, keep remembering that Dan Snyder and the Cuckoo's Nest in Ashburn are proof that Al Davis may be sane after all.

Posted by: BigTrees | April 24, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"I think I remember someone telling me I was an idiot when I said the Skins would select a WR in this draft. I love when people eat crow (Or cow depending who you ask)Posted by: Mike4169"

I bet you love it when OTHER people eat crow. When it's your turn, not so much.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 24, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Tired of reading all the Campbell apologists. It was a total reach when the Redskins drafted him - he was not a highly rated QB in college (he had two incredible college running backs helping him) and showed nothing in the NFL to suggest he will be anything but a below-average pro QB. Poor accuracy and poor/slow decision making - he's a career backup at best.

Posted by: Aerowaz | April 24, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am glad for JC to be elsewhere, but not for the reasons you may think. It was fair to knock him from a fan's standpoint for bad games, bad throws, etc. But to bash him constantly for not being the type of leader you wanted, c'mon. Vocal, outgoing leadership is a personality trait, and JC didn't have that trait. He was a calm business-like professional. This wasn't a choice. Its not as though he just decided he wasn't going to be a vocal leader. ALL the things he had total control over, he did well. Hard work, commitment, dedication to the team, and his desire to get better were beyond question. I understand as a fan wanting to have the QB be elite, and have those traits. To bash him as he is walking out the door is ridiculousYou complained when he was here, and now that he is gone you're still complaining. Ok, you didn't think highly of JC as a QB, fair enough, But, he was an excellent professional, and a stellar human being. Maybe Big Ben should take some lessons. Then again, as long as your team is winning who cares right? Except Big Ben won't be doing any winning for 6 games now will he? Big Ben chose to put his team in jeopardy, JC didn't choose to not be an elite QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jwat2410 | April 24, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

JC, I hope you come back and whip the Redskins like never before. You have gotten a raw deal from the owner, management, the coaching staff as well as your team. You do represent what a true professional is and should be in the NFL. You also are a true role model in the face of adversity. Well wishes!!!

Posted by: GJPrather | April 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse